Forum Settings
Forums

Strangers who approach you in public and try to strike up a conversation for seemingly no good reason.

New
Apr 12, 2013 2:39 PM

Sep 2011
I wanted to start a discussion, about the sort of people who try to engage in conversation with complete strangers for no good reason. As far as I know they're not places where you go to meet new friends, and the people I see there should be incidental to my life. I'm gonna give you one example from my life of this happening.

So my question to you is: What is it with these people who think you care about their bullshit? Are they all lonely and just need someone to talk to, or do they really think they're doing people a service or something?
How would you treat someone in a situation like that?Are you one of the people who'd approach someone in this manner? What's your excuse? Is it possible that it's just me who's weird, and simply don't understand how humans interact? Do I have autism perhaps? I want answers.

This was just one example. I've had this happen to be on places like boats, trains, concerts, and I've noted that these people tend to be a bit older. Is it because they don't have grandchildren they can tell about all this stuff?

Share your own thoughts, opinions, and experiences. bla bla bla
BryanBosslingApr 12, 2013 3:10 PM
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 12, 2013 2:41 PM

Apr 2013
Yes Naruto is a masterpiece .
Apr 12, 2013 2:51 PM

Aug 2012
I would talk to them. It's always good experience and improves your social skills.
Small talk happens often with strangers,if this seems odd to you, either you're socially inadequate or you're just a bit pessimistic.

It's healthy to talk to different kinds of people all over the place. Someone might be feeling lonely and want to talk to you, don't neglect them or ignore them, be as polite as possible and if it's the appropriate place strike a conversation with them.
~Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve
Apr 12, 2013 2:52 PM

Jun 2007
It's just normal socialization.

Not that I do it or let it happen even if people try, but even I know it's considered a very typical and healthy thing. It's actually seen as polite by most people.
Apr 12, 2013 2:53 PM

Sep 2011
QueenJenny said:
What is it with these people who think you care about their bullshit?
That's asshole-ish. Just because someone engages in a conversation with you, doesn't mean they have no life. Maybe they are an outgoing person. Maybe they are a shy person and wanted to try talking to someone. Or, most likely, maybe they took pity on you and decided to talk to you. Chances are that it's the last one.

Here's a great video with strangers talking to each other. It's kinda sweet.
"Cheer up, you’re never alone! There is probably at least 1 bug in your room."
Apr 12, 2013 2:56 PM

Feb 2010
Some people might be lonely, as you said, while others are genuinely spontaneous. In the case of the latter, being weirded out by them says more about the weirdee than the weirder, haha.
Apr 12, 2013 2:57 PM
May 2010
I have a feeling that you're indirectly pointing this at someone on IRC but I could be wrong.

On topic: People like that are most likely lonely and they want some comfort/appreciation.

As you mentioned about that old geezer, I myself would get creeped the fuck out. Indeed he could be lonely and wanted someone to talk to. But on the other hand, he could be a crazy psychopath who's trying to set you up to some shit. The world these days, weird shit happens.
Apr 12, 2013 3:01 PM

Aug 2012
I'm terse and brusque with strangers.

Essentially I emit an aura of "fuck off".

It's worked out so far.
كنت تهدر وقتك عن طريق ترجمة هذه.

mattbenz99 said:
Christians and Satanists are technically the same thing
Apr 12, 2013 3:02 PM

Sep 2011
gigglingidiot said:

Fake

Apr 12, 2013 3:03 PM

Apr 2012
When I cant be bothered to speak i just act like a mentally challenged person and they usually go away after a minute. On the other hand, if i can be bothered to speak I just follow the conversation and have fun with it.
Apr 12, 2013 3:06 PM
May 2012
Depends on how they look, the topic at hand, and whether or not I'm busy.
Apr 12, 2013 3:07 PM

Aug 2012
Welcome to Anti-Social MAL. Let me be your guide.
~Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve
Apr 12, 2013 3:09 PM

Jun 2008
Akito_Kinomoto said:
Some people might be lonely, as you said, while others are genuinely spontaneous. In the case of the latter, being weirded out by them says more about the weirdee than the weirder, haha.
I don't think people who feel lonely will even attempt to strike a conversation randomly.

I should be doing this more often actually. But I usually lack any spontaneous topic at mind when I'm in public since I always listen to music and/or sleeping.
Apr 12, 2013 3:11 PM
Oct 2010
People don't usually approach me, in public or in private. When they do, I usually end up making friends. I have seven friends.
Apr 12, 2013 3:45 PM

Aug 2012
Extroverts, the horror! Everyone of the internet.. HIDE!

Heh.. I do find people who force conversation really annoying though.. I really dislike talking irl
sexual incest in nisomonogatari - no one bats an eye
romance incest in SAO - everyone loses their minds
Apr 12, 2013 4:09 PM

Apr 2009
I'm an introvert but I don't mind small talk with strangers, whether it be in line at the grocery store or, uh, laying in an ambulance and talking to the EMT. I guess I tend to walk away from them as strangers but even those little conversations always make me feel a little better, knowing that others aren't rude and unwilling to talk or help someone out.

I know someone who is so paranoid that they always think the worst of any stranger talking to them. She felt it would be offensive to even compliment a parent to say that their child is cute or something. She's quite the extreme case though.

Apr 12, 2013 4:10 PM
Jul 2018
OP obviously from Sweden.
Apr 12, 2013 4:33 PM

Feb 2005
Oh yea, I had a incredibly weird occurrence like this some years ago.
I was walking home late at night, and then this fellow just comes up to me and strikes up a conversation about the freemasons and illuminati and such conspiracy crap as we walk along. I was kind of drunk so I didn't find it too weird at that time, but the funny thing is, he didn't seem drunk at all.

And then another time a older lady caught me exiting my apartment and was asking all about whether the owner was still the same guy, apparently she had gone to school with him and blahblahblah.
TallonKarrde23 said:
It's just normal socialization.
It certainly isn't here. Even if we are forced to sit beside a stranger on the bus, we don't just start talking. Scandinavians are just cold like that. Unless we're drunk.
Apr 12, 2013 5:47 PM

Oct 2012
Friendly people exist?! No. It. Can't. Be... Mind = blown
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Apr 12, 2013 5:50 PM
Dec 2012
That happens to me all the time. People are friendlier to you if you are attractive, have good social status and wit. You just have to get used to it
Apr 12, 2013 5:53 PM
Jul 2018
I thought most people in Rio de Janeiro focused on killing each others.
Apr 12, 2013 11:34 PM

Jan 2012
I HATE IT WHEN CRAZIES DO THIS TO ME ON THE BUS!!!!!
Apr 13, 2013 12:03 AM

Feb 2013
Happens to me a lot. I don't mind it most of the time because it's just simple idle chatter or curiosity, unless they start some weird crazy rant and want me to agree with everything they say... That shit scares me, especially if there cutting off my only exit.
Apr 13, 2013 12:16 AM

Apr 2011
happens to me a lot too.. don't mind if it's female but if it's male, its creepy..
Apr 13, 2013 12:16 AM

Sep 2012
QueenJenny said:

Just like some people here on MAL.
Apr 13, 2013 12:21 AM

Mar 2012
Thanks to my appearance, people never try to talk to me unless I'm at some social event with more people who look like me.

That being said, I'm not averse to random conversation so long as the person isn't a fucking idiot and it's a subject I know something about.

These people are never cute girls, though, not even at the aforementioned events.
Negative-TravisApr 13, 2013 12:25 AM
I'm dead. Don't come looking for me.
Apr 13, 2013 12:27 AM

Mar 2013
How do you get so mad over somebody trying to have a civilized conversation with you? wow
Apr 13, 2013 12:54 AM

Mar 2013
@ QueenJenny here an idea , if you really don't care instead of putting up a front and being an hypocrite and going "uh,yeah" and shit , just tell them right front the start "i don't want to talk to you , because i don't care bout your shit and stuff" and i can assure you they won't waste they're own time trying to socialize with an asshole .
Same thing for guys or girl trying to pick someone up , tell the girl " i wont remember the day we hooked up , i wont be romantic , i wont take you to a nice place on valentines day , but i will never hit you , i'll do the manly stuff like changing your flat tires as long as you let me watch the games with the boys and as long as you keep me sexually satisfied i wont cheat on you" and people wouldn't be all like he changed so much after a while , same shit for girls ... "i'll look at other guys but i wont ever do anything with them , if i see you getting jealous i might keep it up for a bit because i love to see that your still into me , i don't care if your not romantic all the time but once in a while at random a small gesture would be nice and if one of my slut friend try to flirt with you , you tell me about it " people wouldn't divorce so often , basically try showing your true colors from the very beginning and you are going to save a lot of time with superficial bullshit people do everyday , like being nice if you don't feel like it , like being romantic if your not going to do it for the rest of your life , like being polite to someone because you think you have to , even if the person is being themself a dick ... and so fucking on ... and i could go on but i wasted enough time on this shitty thread
Apr 13, 2013 1:00 AM

Mar 2012
kianella said:
@ QueenJenny here an idea , if you really don't care instead of putting up a front and being an hypocrite and going "uh,yeah" and shit , just tell them right front the start "i don't want to talk to you , because i don't care bout your shit and stuff" and i can assure you they won't waste they're own time trying to socialize with an asshole .
Same thing for guys or girl trying to pick someone up , tell the girl " i wont remember the day we hooked up , i wont be romantic , i wont take you to a nice place on valentines day , but i will never hit you , i'll do the manly stuff like changing your flat tires as long as you let me watch the games with the boys and as long as you keep me sexually satisfied i wont cheat on you" and people wouldn't be all like he changed so much after a while , same shit for girls ... "i'll look at other guys but i wont ever do anything with them , if i see you getting jealous i might keep it up for a bit because i love to see that your still into me , i don't care if your not romantic all the time but once in a while at random a small gesture would be nice and if one of my slut friend try to flirt with you , you tell me about it " people wouldn't divorce so often , basically try showing your true colors from the very beginning and you are going to save a lot of time with superficial bullshit people do everyday , like being nice if you don't feel like it , like being romantic if your not going to do it for the rest of your life , like being polite to someone because you think you have to , even if the person is being themself a dick ... and so fucking on ... and i could go on but i wasted enough time on this shitty thread

Wait a sec...
Is that second paragraph all one sentence?

Holy shit, it is.
Apr 13, 2013 1:01 AM

Oct 2012
I'll have a normal convo and act natural but try to end it quickly as possible. These "sociable strangers" can just stalk you and whatnot.
Alone on a Friday night? Remember that DIO did nothing wrong!
Apr 13, 2013 1:02 AM

Oct 2010
people walk up to me all the time to strike up a conversation
and i dont even know them
like 3/4 of my of the people where i work know who i am i have no clue who they are and how they know my name

id be at work and some one comes up to me
hey your joshua right?
id be like yes
then they be like asking questions how to do stuff or getting my advice on something

doesnt even have to be at work
random people come up to me and talk to me everywhere

im guessing i have an insane about of charisma
dont ask questions, just do answers
Apr 13, 2013 1:33 AM

Mar 2013
Negative-Travis said:

Wait a sec...

Holy shit, it is.

yep i often don't care bout punctuation or spelling or grammar and so on when i'm in a forums , sorry for wrecking you mind and shit and so on.
Apr 13, 2013 1:35 AM

Mar 2012
kianella said:
Negative-Travis said:

Wait a sec...

Holy shit, it is.

yep i often don't care bout punctuation or spelling or grammar and so on when i'm in a forums
Yeah, you might want to start giving a shit.
Apr 13, 2013 5:45 AM

Jun 2008
gigglingidiot said:

Going to the "take a sit, make a friend" ball pit. Sitting there for hours. No one comes.
Apr 13, 2013 5:57 AM

Mar 2013
Yep, I've had this happen to me a few times. There have been one or two occasions where I genuinely had nice conversations with people - I particularly remember speaking to an old lady on the bus once, we just had a chat about how much the neighbourhood had changed since her youth and she complemented me on my wanting to go to university and make something of myself (if only she knew the massive discrepancy between how I should be spending my time as opposed to how I do spend my time, lol). But for the most part, and please don't call me out for bragging about this, but most of the time it's just been guys (most of whom looked to be in their late 20s to 30s for some reason) striking up a casual conversation for about 3 minutes then asking for my digits. And that's when it really bugs me, because it tells me that their thought process went something like: see a random stranger on the street I like the look of, try to lull her into a false sense of security before asking for her number, send two or three friendly text messages before deciding I know her well enough to ask her on a date. Which was indeed what usually happened when I caved and gave them my number, because I was caught off guard and when I get scared my natural instinct is to give people what they want so they leave me alone. So for the most part it's uncomfortable, but I guess the best response is just to be courteous to the other person and if things start going downhill, politely excuse yourself.
"Go bald, Kurosaki."

Apr 13, 2013 6:05 AM

Nov 2012
One of my greatest pet peeves is extremely old people randomly talking to me. I get that they're old and lonely, but shit... why do you feel the need to talk to EVERYONE you see?

Queues being held up because an old person feels the need to tell the cashier about his day.
An old person sitting next to you on a bench and asking you about your cell phone, only to go on and on about how technology was back in 'their day'.
Old people suddenly stopping in the middle of the street to stare at something, then turn to the closest person to ask them about it.
OLD PEOPLE POPPING UP OUT OF NOWHERE WITH STUPID CONVERSATIONS

OH MY GOD
EVERYONE FINDS THIS EXTREMELY UNCOMFORTABLE
PLEASE STOP

Apr 13, 2013 7:02 AM

Jan 2013
I just assume they want something, then I wait for them to ask for money so I can say I don't have any. Or if its an old person funny enough I can keep a conversation with most of them when they go on rants lulz. I even encourage most of what they think. Let the Purge begin!
Apr 13, 2013 7:06 AM

May 2012
gigglingidiot said:
QueenJenny said:
That's asshole-ish. Just because someone engages in a conversation with you, doesn't mean they have no life. Maybe they are an outgoing person. Maybe they are a shy person and wanted to try talking to someone. Or, most likely, maybe they took pity on you and decided to talk to you. Chances are that it's the last one.

^ True that
Being friendly is bad.................... I see
Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told
Apr 14, 2013 4:58 AM

Mar 2012
I do get approached a lot by people who just seem interested in chatting, happens a lot more when I'm with my sister though (I guess either people are interested in twins or they think it's an easy subject to start a conversation from) and a lot of the things we get asked is about twins.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
Apr 14, 2013 9:03 AM

Mar 2013
No one approaches me. But if someone does, I would probably end up being their friend.
Apr 14, 2013 9:40 AM
Dec 2012
It annoys me when real life whores women attempt to flirt with me and strike up a conversation.

They cannot compare to my Anime Waifu's, who the fuck do they think they are?!
Apr 14, 2013 11:21 AM

Mar 2013
Not_Biased said:
That happens to me all the time. People are friendlier to you if you are attractive, have good social status and wit. You just have to get used to it

Oh, you.

I'm not great socially (surprise surprise) so my reaction to these kinds of situations is usually outwardly awkward and inwardly irritated. But I'm not opposed to the idea, you can meet good people by chance.
Apr 14, 2013 12:09 PM

Mar 2011
It's happened a few times to me since I'm tall. I can't say I particularly enjoy it, though.

I like my peace and quiet.
Apr 14, 2013 1:40 PM

Mar 2012
This doesn't happen to me often, but it has a few times. It's never bothered me and is actually enjoyable, if I'm in a talkative mood.

This one time I was talking with an old lady while waiting for the bus; it was cool and all, until she tried to continue our conversation on the 3 hour long bus trip and I just didn't want to maintain it for that long. She said a lot of nice/hilarious things though, most of which I still remember. "I truly believe you're going to grow up to be a good person," or "you are one of those young folk that are the future," for example. She was really old.
JoshApr 14, 2013 1:44 PM
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Apr 14, 2013 2:06 PM

Aug 2009
I don't care if random people talk to me, as long as they're not ghetto.

Apr 14, 2013 2:08 PM

Sep 2011
EvilNovel said:

I'm sorry that you can't have a conversation with someone without it being superficially beneficial, or from your perspective vitally beneficial.

sometimes it's nice to remind yourself that people have souls beyond their wallets or iphone apps.

but in reality he's probably just trying to get into your pants and I'm surprised that wasn't your first assumption. if you were a jimmy instead of a jenny he probably wouldn't have given you any attention at all.

If that's the case then it only makes it worse.

Apr 14, 2013 3:09 PM

Jan 2013
When talking to a stranger I'd say I feel quite at ease, I mean the chance that you will meet this person again is quite small, so you can say pretty much anything, as long as you don't work on their nerves. And as long as they don't work on my nerves some small talk is welcome :)

It also depends on who it is you're talking to. If he gives you a weird look like the one in that picture I'd worry as well...
Apr 14, 2013 3:17 PM

Feb 2012
Someone may be new to town or the city you are in.Someone might just be searching for acquaintances outside of his usual social circles.
Anyhow,If you ever transfer schools or go somewhere far away for a longer period you will be forced to do it(unless you don't mind being a total shut in).Shelling yourselves into the social circles you are already in is usually bad for people.

Anyhow,it is pretty normal.
bluedragon777Apr 14, 2013 3:22 PM
"Efficiency is not king, efficacy is."

Post a comment on my profile. Profile comments are fun.

Apr 14, 2013 4:33 PM

May 2008
usually, i always get suspicious :/
Apr 14, 2013 4:44 PM

Aug 2012
I have social anxiety so yes, I dont like when it happens at all.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» can you tolerate spicy food?

removed-user - Mar 31

34 by Serafos »»
14 minutes ago

» Did you ever cut ties with a family member or friend?

Sad - Today

22 by traed »»
35 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

736 by SynthwaveCrusade »»
39 minutes ago

» Have you tried the WacDonalds sauce?

tsukareru - May 2

11 by MeanMrMusician »»
1 hour ago

» Have you ever really sit down and really think about the short term and long term effects of AI in your industry?

tsukareru - Yesterday

15 by MeanMrMusician »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.