Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 11, 2013 10:00 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I lol'd @ the beginning. Food eating contest? :P

Pretty standard stuff I guess so far. I guess L-elf seems to have a problem with the main protagonist so there's some tensions there already. The action in space was kinda exciting to watch especially in the second half. Those things just came out of nowhere.

Anyways ya, I thought the first episode was alright and looking forward to more. Man tears were shed~ and wow, the ending..just wow. I didn't see that coming. Dat blood!

Apr 11, 2013 10:10 AM

Sep 2012
The show will be two cours but it will be split into two. The second half will air in Fall season.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Apr 11, 2013 11:47 AM

Sep 2011
symbv said:
The show will be two cours but it will be split into two. The second half will air in Fall season.

Damn. I hate waiting.
Apr 11, 2013 2:02 PM

Jan 2011
Wow that was a great first episode. MC is pretty beast, literally. Overall I think the CGI mecha fight was well done.

I'm curious about the other character's roles in this.
symbv said:

I'm already excited for season 2.
VioLinkApr 11, 2013 9:59 PM
[center]
Apr 11, 2013 2:25 PM

Jul 2010

These reminded me of the TIE Fighter in Star Wars. The basic structure looks similar but these are thicker.
Apr 11, 2013 3:23 PM

Jul 2012
Awesome episode, I was like meh in the beginning but the later parts more than made up for it. Pretty interesting stuff on the terms of services for using Valvrave that came up after he pressed yes to resign himself as human.

MC at the end.........Dio?

9.5/10
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Num1dad_Asura]
[/url]
Click Here for Sig source
Apr 11, 2013 3:54 PM

Nov 2007
Group of people with weird names are the team from the space?
Riding on the robot = giving up being human? The main guy rode it just from losing his beloved.

TM Rev. and Mizuki-san's OP was so cool.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Apr 11, 2013 4:07 PM
Apr 2012
Num1dad_Asura said:
Awesome episode, I was like meh in the beginning but the later parts more than made up for it. Pretty interesting stuff on the terms of services for using Valvrave that came up after he pressed yes to resign himself as human.

MC at the end.........Dio?

9.5/10

Considering he had to reject his humanity, one can easily speculate this is a Jojo reference.
Apr 11, 2013 4:11 PM

Jul 2012
tsubasalover said:
Group of people with weird names are the team from the space?
Riding on the robot = giving up being human? The main guy rode it just from losing his beloved.

TM Rev. and Mizuki-san's OP was so cool.

Did you watch the scene after the opening (which was awesome btw)?
[/url]
Apr 11, 2013 4:16 PM

Dec 2012

Wow, so in other to drive the Samurai Robot thingy, you gotta become a vampire-like creature first?!

The Samurai Mecha is indeed powerful. However, I wonder if it can use long range weapons. It's pretty idiotic to only rely on melee when you can shoot laser beams from every inch of your body like the Mecha in Gargantia. One shoots long range while the other uses katana. Which robot will win in the face off?! lol

So much happen in the first episode, it can be shown as a stand-alone mini movie ^_^ At first I was afraid that the MC would turned out to be another Shinji Ikari, but BAM! he became badass pretty fast :) The white hair dude and his group are malicious bunch. They kill people without a blink. The dude was interesting to me because he knifed our MC first, then used his gun to finish the job. Wouldn't it be more efficient the other way around?!

Visual is stunning with so many vibrant colors. The cast is pretty big, and the school setting contains a lot of Horizon's vibes. I hope they handle the group dynamic as well as that series did.

I have a suspicion that the MC's girlfriend still lives. Or else, it's a waste to build up her character, and even put her in the Ending just to kill her off in one episode like that >_< The girl with computer is interesting as well. She reminds me a bit of Himawari from Vividred xD

This show and Gargantia are solid Mecha show of this season. However, as of now Valvrave has more Mecha 'feel' than Gargantia.

btw, I've watched the first episode of Majestic Prince but that show is a little off-putting for me to follow regularly.
ThangLongApr 12, 2013 12:06 PM
Apr 11, 2013 4:21 PM

Jul 2012
ThangLong said:
Wow, so in other to drive the Samurai Robot thingy, you gotta become a vampire-like creature first?!

The Samurai Mecha is indeed powerful. However, I wonder if it can use long range weapons.

Just going from the opening, but if you look in the beginning it fired a gun so I would think it has long range weapon capability unless you mean fire a beam without a gun or something then ya you're right.
[/url]
Apr 11, 2013 4:26 PM

Dec 2012
^ Oh, you mean the Ending/Opening?! I see that now. But what I'm thinking of is indeed the cool laser beams, not a plain old gun lol
Apr 11, 2013 5:18 PM
Oct 2010
Show looks amazing visually, but it reminds me too much of gundam 00 with the archetypes and the whole "feel" of the show. I hope i'm wrong though and it surprises me.
Apr 11, 2013 5:25 PM
Mar 2012
Which fansub group is going to sub this besides cruncyroll and HS?
ZeroMoonApr 11, 2013 5:29 PM
Apr 11, 2013 6:51 PM

Jun 2011
Crunchyroll is simulcasting this one day late? o.O
Anyways back to the episode.

When I first saw "Do you resign as a human being", I thought it meant that when a pilot becomes a military weapon, he/she is no longer human. But now he's UNDEAD?!?!

If Tokishima Haruto died in the first episode, this would have been a masterpiece. (w
Apr 11, 2013 7:01 PM

Jun 2011
shanimebib said:
A bit disappointed because it was all too predictable until Hellsing Ultimate happened, which was apparently the WTF moment of the anime too, yet seemed very unoriginal.

I think it would have created more discussion if they just stop the episode when Tokishima was on the ground. But I guess you would be disappointed sooner or later either way. :/
Apr 11, 2013 7:09 PM
Oct 2010
shanimebib said:

Anyways, the anime is a combination of Gundam, Code Geass, Hellsing Ultimate and throw in few more titles. This season will be 1 cour, and fall will have another cour.

A bit disappointed because it was all too predictable until Hellsing Ultimate happened, which was apparently the WTF moment of the anime too, yet seemed very unoriginal.

Yeah I'm a bit worried, but if goes more into code geass and less into gundam 00, generic stuff aside it will be a good show.
Apr 11, 2013 7:11 PM

Nov 2007
zerochan said:

Sunrise + Mecha + One day late simulcast = gg.

Shih said:
I think it would have created more discussion if they just stop the episode when Tokishima was on the ground. But I guess you would be disappointed sooner or later either way. :/

Well they tried to pull, the "YES YOUR HIGHNESS!" like they did in Code Geass which was crazy awesome. I still have great expectations from this anime. Sunrise can spend some of their budget in this anime because:

1. Gundam Unicorn and Gundam Origin do not air this year.
2. Gintama is again on Hiatus.

This actually had the fourth best starting episode this season after
Shingeki, Hataraku, Gargantia and probably very close with Karneval and Yahari ore.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Apr 11, 2013 8:00 PM
Oct 2010
shanimebib said:
zerochan said:

Sunrise + Mecha + One day late simulcast = gg.

Shih said:

Well they tried to pull, the "YES YOUR HIGHNESS!" like they did in Code Geass which was crazy awesome. I still have great expectations from this anime. Sunrise can spend some of their budget in this anime because:

1. Gundam Unicorn and Gundam Origin do not air this year.
2. Gintama is again on Hiatus.

This actually had the fourth best starting episode this season after
Shingeki, Hataraku, Gargantia and probably very close with Karneval and Yahari ore.

GG just did a release, and I agree with you on the first ep rankings, except for hataraku since I haven't even looked at that. However Gundam Unicorn and Origins not airing doesn't necessarily mean this gets more budget, they are animation both of those as we speak so money is being spent. Although Valvrave has a decent budget as it is, I thought the art and CG were top notch.
Apr 11, 2013 8:14 PM

Jan 2010
This show is so Sunrise it hurts.
Ok™
Apr 11, 2013 8:31 PM

Sep 2007
Uhhhh so he became a vampire because a mech told him to stop being human? Dafuq did I just watch.
Apr 11, 2013 8:33 PM

Apr 2010
They killed off the girl I decided to watch the show for? Dropped

Apr 11, 2013 8:34 PM
Oct 2010
RyanSaotome said:

lmao da faq is wrong with you guys sometimes. What a silly reason to drop a show on the first episode.
Apr 11, 2013 8:36 PM

Apr 2010
skudoops said:
RyanSaotome said:

lmao da faq is wrong with you guys sometimes. What a silly reason to drop a show on the first episode.

Why? Only reason I gave the show a chance in the first place is because I loved her design. Now theres literally no reason for me to be interested in the show anymore, since I'm not a mecha fan.

Apr 11, 2013 8:42 PM
Jun 2012
Like:
-The shows main hook (the thing that happened at the end)
-Valvrave
-"WIRED"

Dislike:
-MC
-Highschool
-dead girls that aren't really dead

I will say though, I love how the show skipped all the fluff when it came to Haruto getting into the mech and just did it. Dude gets shit done.
Apr 11, 2013 8:45 PM

Sep 2012
So he somehow turned into a werewolf/vampire at the end of the episode?
Apr 11, 2013 8:45 PM

Oct 2007
RyanSaotome said:

Still not tired of getting ridiculed for shallow dispositions on internet forums I see.
Apr 11, 2013 8:50 PM

May 2011
It has feet? Yes, that's what stuck out, a dumb comment on some message board about the leaked footage. xD Aside from that, I am curious to see how this goes, it is currently just alright for me.
Apr 11, 2013 8:51 PM

Apr 2010
Kaioshin_Sama said:
RyanSaotome said:

Still not tired of getting ridiculed for shallow dispositions on internet forums I see.

I couldn't care less what others think about my tastes or why I watch anime.

Apr 11, 2013 9:03 PM
Jan 2012
All my feels for the girl. Q.Q

I think this season is going to be a great season, and a ton of shows are mecha. Maybe call it Mecha Spring?
Apr 11, 2013 9:04 PM

Jul 2012
Damn, this is so Gundam. And they just had to kill her off -_-
My Anime Blog: http://www.Entravity.com/
Episodic overviews of the latest anime.

Apr 11, 2013 9:12 PM

Jun 2008
Gundam x Zombies.

Nice.
Apr 11, 2013 9:13 PM

Oct 2007
RyanSaotome said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
RyanSaotome said:

I couldn't care less what others think about my tastes or why I watch anime.

Well fine be on your way then lol
Apr 11, 2013 9:14 PM

Jun 2008
another series after that Shingeki no Kyojin.. Spring 2013 never failed to impress me! The first episode was so wonderful! That animation and art. IMPRESSED!

SUNRISE FTW!

Visit our website at http://www.animeotakucorner.com
Apr 11, 2013 9:19 PM

Oct 2007
etchel said:
another series after that Shingeki no Kyojin.. Spring 2013 never failed to impress me! The first episode was so wonderful! That animation and art. IMPRESSED!

SUNRISE FTW!

Actually that gets me thinking, the art was one of the areas where I had some major issues with the opener. Lot of low detail shots of characters throughout the episode that looked like they'd fit more as in-between frames such that it was hard not to notice even if I wasn't looking for QUALITY like some people do. Sunrise I know can do better just from the sheer experience of watching a lot of their stuff so it's a little disappointing. The sort of initially goofy character interactions are typical Okouchi fare and the plot seems like it has quite a lot yet to be revealed but the art quality really needs to improve sooner rather than later.

It's even funny cause a lot of people were complaining about the CGI before this aired but I actually found the CGI stuff looked better than a good chunk of the 2D stuff.
Apr 11, 2013 9:42 PM

Dec 2010
Eh. So far, premise has been an exact mix of Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny.

Gundam Seed:
-Outsiders invade neutral colony, lots of innocents die
-Kid gets in a mech and does a lot of damage
-Tension between MC and another kid from opposing faction

Gundam Seed Destiny:
-Beloved dies (or did she? they didn't show her body)
-In response, MC screams into the air
-MC decides to pilot a mecha because of their beloved

The thing about giving up being a human was interesting though. What exactly does that mean...........? I am going to keep watching just to find that out.

I also didn't like the artwork for some reason. It was clean and good colors, but the eye designs and the way they blush bothered me.

edit: Oh wow I did not see that bit after the credits. What the fuck LMFAO HAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh god he's a vampire GG. This literally made me change my rating from a 7 to an 8.
That bit where he bites the white-haired kid and the acid trip begins reminds me of Code Geass.
PknoctisApr 11, 2013 10:01 PM
Apr 11, 2013 9:51 PM

Aug 2010
This show vs Gargantia this season, I say this one is stronger.
Surprisingly so, because I thought both episodes of Gargantia were quite good.

The CG and mech designs are much better in this show, and it seems to be telling the story at a much faster pace.
Apr 11, 2013 10:02 PM

Dec 2010
Ballermina said:
I still think the character design's are shit, but I enjoyed this episode.
And the ending actually caught me off guard.
4/5
I agree. the MC looks like every boring Japanese school boy ever. aka shu from guilty crown.
Apr 11, 2013 10:04 PM

Apr 2008
Felt kinda rushed IMO. From Shoko not dying (no body=not dead) to Kira Yamato Haruto piloting the Strike Valvrave and having a tender moment with Athrun L-Ciel, a very juicy moment.

Can't help but compare it to Gundam SEED, but I loved SEED so it's not really a bad thing.Same emphasis on fabulous music, same main characters (Kira/Haruto - Athrun/L'Ciel), both by Sunrise, both mechas, and so on.

Holy fuck that OP made me barf rainbows. Too much fabulous. OP itself isn't anything special though.

3/5
apolloisfineApr 11, 2013 10:09 PM
My Blog: Oasis Crossing ~The Book of Friends~

Forum Avatar: Fram Nara from Gundam AGE
Apr 11, 2013 10:05 PM

Nov 2011
wow....that was good
Hate Keeps me warm
Apr 11, 2013 10:12 PM

Sep 2008
shanimebib said:
So the best girl of the anime is gone in the first episode? Shoko had her death flag raised as soon as the kokuhaku was missed. :(

Anyways, the anime is a combination of Gundam, Code Geass, Hellsing Ultimate and throw in few more titles.

this sums it up
Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
Apr 11, 2013 10:21 PM
Oct 2012
Somehow the two heroines are like the reverse of Flay and Lacus from SEED. Not surprised at the "vampire" thingy. Now I see what they mean by "forbidden power". imo This is what differentiates Valvrave from Gundam and Code Geass: a bit of supernatural mixed with sci-fi
Apr 11, 2013 10:22 PM
Mar 2011
I guess sooner or later vampire and mechs are going to be crossed together.

shoko better stay dead, seriously
"....i am the villain in this story"
Apr 11, 2013 10:22 PM

Sep 2012
Eh, it was ok. Knowing Sunrise shows from the past 7 or so years, the first half will be entertaining then the writers will fall asleep during the entire second half while the entire thing goes to shit.

I'm going to go ahead and assume Shoko has a lot more significance than getting vaporized, given her presence in the OP.

Here's hoping the protagonist isn't another Kira, though that seems to be a bit of a lost hope given the ending of the episode...if this series takes the SEED route, I'll have lost all hope for Sunrise.
Apr 11, 2013 10:25 PM

Apr 2012
ChexGuy said:
Eh, it was ok. Knowing Sunrise shows from the past 7 or so years, the first half will be entertaining then the writers will fall asleep during the entire second half while the entire thing goes to shit.

I'm going to go ahead and assume Shoko has a lot more significance than getting vaporized, given her presence in the OP.

Here's hoping the protagonist isn't another Kira, though that seems to be a bit of a lost hope given the ending of the episode...if this series takes the SEED route, I'll have lost all hope for Sunrise.

SEED was a source of an inspiration for Code Geass though, you never know if this, you know, can actually turn out to be the surprise hit of the year. Just saying.
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Apr 11, 2013 10:30 PM

Feb 2013
I had to give this a 10/10 just for that ending.

WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT?

I am a Gundam veteran, and this had the Gundam clone formula down to science. It had the two warring sides with the neutral nation stuck in the middle thinking it's safe. You have the tech scientists who are developing the experimental OP mech in the neutral nation, that of course one side knows about and is going to take down said nation to get. It had the children spies infiltrating the school just to take the newly advanced mech. It had the pacifist MC who doesn't want to get involved but is dragged in anyway. This had the Char clone arriving right on time with his infiltration units. It had the personal tragedy that spurs the MC to get in the new top of the line OP mech. It had the young rival that will challenge the MC both in and out of battle. It even had a T.M. Revolution ED, for goodness sake!

Yep, this was a through and through a formulaic, but a very nicely done, Gundam clone. Nice animation, nice music, nice fight scenes.

But that after credits ending? What the heck was that?! WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT??!!

My mouth was literally on the floor. This has definitely gotten my attention I will be so following this one. I don't mind Gundam clones if they are done right, but with this twist in there, I really want to see what they do with this.
Apr 11, 2013 10:30 PM

Jan 2011
At first i when i saw this i was oh another GIC mecha.. but after watching this i really hope this turns out great, i like the art and for once the colorful CGI too.

I feel like i was the only one who enjoyed this more than i should had from all the gundam 00/seed vibes i got from this!.

Even if they raised her death flag there no way they could kill of Shoko right of all the bat? :( she was like the best girl besides the one groping the teachers chest lol.
Apr 11, 2013 10:32 PM

Jul 2012
ChexGuy said:

The ending of this episode makes the MC resemble kira? Just curious did you see the scene after the opening intro that played at the end?
[/url]
Apr 11, 2013 10:38 PM

Apr 2012
Irenesharda said:
I had to give this a 10/10 just for that ending.

WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT?

I am a Gundam veteran, and this had the Gundam clone formula down to science. It had the two warring sides with the neutral nation stuck in the middle thinking it's safe. You have the tech scientists who are developing the experimental OP mech in the neutral nation, that of course one side knows about and is going to take down said nation to get. It had the children spies infiltrating the school just to take the newly advanced mech. It had the pacifist MC who doesn't want to get involved but is dragged in anyway. This had the Char clone arriving right on time with his infiltration units. It had the personal tragedy that spurs the MC to get in the new top of the line OP mech. It had the young rival that will challenge the MC both in and out of battle. It even had a T.M. Revolution ED, for goodness sake!

Yep, this was a through and through a formulaic, but a very nicely done, Gundam clone. Nice animation, nice music, nice fight scenes.

But that after credits ending? What the heck was that?! WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT??!!

My mouth was literally on the floor. This has definitely gotten my attention I will be so following this one. I don't mind Gundam clones if they are done right, but with this twist in there, I really want to see what they do with this.

You took the words out of my mouth to a T.
Well, we'll see how it ends up, nevertheless.
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Apr 11, 2013 10:39 PM
Jan 2009
This show was such shit. I can't name any really good or stand out things about it, and it'll probably be standard sunrise garbage

everybody leave and watch Majestic Prince and/or Gargantia instead
Pages (10) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» is it good?

me_good - Mar 24, 2016

2 by RudeRedis »»
Jan 20, 9:37 AM

Poll: » Kakumeiki Valvrave Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 27, 2013

432 by neeJay »»
Mar 17, 2023 7:27 AM

Poll: » Kakumeiki Valvrave Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 13, 2013

677 by Catalano »»
Nov 13, 2021 12:09 PM

Poll: » Kakumeiki Valvrave Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 16, 2013

270 by Catalano »»
Oct 6, 2021 11:55 PM

Poll: » Kakumeiki Valvrave Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 9, 2013

342 by Catalano »»
Sep 29, 2021 9:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.