Forum Settings
Forums
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Must be a Club Member to Reply 
Apr 25, 2014 10:51 AM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 81
In my opinion, Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon and Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II should be part of the requirements for the Mahou Shoujo and the Mecha achievements. Neither of this genres is a very prominent, but is nonetheless present
 
Apr 26, 2014 5:48 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 2904
Hey guys.
First of all, thanks for the hard work, as always.

So I'm sure this must have been brought before, but since the history achievements I keep thinking what other genres could diserve an achievement, something niche but popular, with more than a hundred titles to be doable. I hadn't find anything until recently, but now I think the sports genre really fits the bill.

Hope you guys will think about it.
 
Apr 29, 2014 1:21 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 16
Maybe add the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure franchise under Historical? It has all kinds of historical elements (mostly Nazi era stuff) and the internal timeline seems to be kept quite consistent with actual dates.
 
May 6, 2014 12:35 PM
 
 
May 12, 2014 3:12 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1
 
May 17, 2014 4:42 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 12503
EratiK said:
Hey guys.
First of all, thanks for the hard work, as always.

So I'm sure this must have been brought before, but since the history achievements I keep thinking what other genres could diserve an achievement, something niche but popular, with more than a hundred titles to be doable. I hadn't find anything until recently, but now I think the sports genre really fits the bill.

Hope you guys will think about it.


Why not have a ridiculous genre achievement (like the Boku no Pico achievement) with Hentai? Since most hentai are around 2-3 episodes long, the first ranking can be 40 series, then 60, 80 and finally 100.
 
May 19, 2014 2:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 87
As explained on the Moderator page, we can't do this. Here's why:
The AdSense rules don't allow us to show ads if the page has questionable content. Achievements for this genre would most likely need some suggestive images and text, which would put us in an undesirable situation. That's why we banned lewd genres across MALgraph, except for BnP achievement, which balances on the edge.


By the way, fri updated achievement lists with most of the titles posted here since 2014-01-26. Some entries didn't need to be put on the list, since their genre on MAL works its magic itself. Thank you for helping us!

Changes can be seen here: https://github.com/rr-/malgraph4/commit/f3dd14b82175e61375a355ed6da4aedb7669c282
 
May 20, 2014 12:24 AM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 3452
^ These 3 titles were added to the Slice of Life achievement lists instead of the Mahou Shoujo achievement lists. Those 3 titles have nothing slice of life in them at all. Also, they should be added to the Mecha achievement lists since there's some really awful mecha scenes in those too.
 
May 20, 2014 1:55 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 12503
rr- said:
As explained on the Moderator page, we can't do this. Here's why:
The AdSense rules don't allow us to show ads if the page has questionable content. Achievements for this genre would most likely need some suggestive images and text, which would put us in an undesirable situation. That's why we banned lewd genres across MALgraph, except for BnP achievement, which balances on the edge.


By the way, fri updated achievement lists with most of the titles posted here since 2014-01-26. Some entries didn't need to be put on the list, since their genre on MAL works its magic itself. Thank you for helping us!

Changes can be seen here: https://github.com/rr-/malgraph4/commit/f3dd14b82175e61375a355ed6da4aedb7669c282


Oh, didn't know that. If that's so, maybe we could have achievements for the 4 major demographics; Shoujo, Shonen, Josei and Seinen. Maybe an achievement for Psychological/Thriller combo would also work.
 
May 21, 2014 6:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 124
Greetings! I have noticed many anime I have seen not counted in specific achievements when they could easily fit into them. With that said I have some suggestions for a few categories if I may.

GAR:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/833/Choujuushin_Gravion
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1149/Choujuushin_Gravion_Zwei
http://myanimelist.net/anime/18795/Dagram_VS_Round-Facer
http://myanimelist.net/anime/9972/Document_Taiyou_no_Kiba_Dagram
http://myanimelist.net/anime/3676/Machine_Robo:_Revenge_of_Chronos
http://myanimelist.net/anime/19365/Samurai_Flamenco
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1603/Super_Robot_Taisen_OG:_Divine_Wars
http://myanimelist.net/anime/4075/Super_Robot_Taisen_OG:_Divine_Wars_Special
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1544/Super_Robot_Taisen_OG:_The_Animation
http://myanimelist.net/anime/9241/Super_Robot_Taisen_OG:_The_Inspector
http://myanimelist.net/anime/2257/Taiyou_no_Kiba_Dagram
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1985/UFO_Robo_Grendizer
http://myanimelist.net/anime/732/Vampire_Hunter_D
http://myanimelist.net/anime/3325/Yuusha_Exkaiser

Mahou Shojo:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1280/Devil_Hunter_Yohko
http://myanimelist.net/anime/4003/Dream_Hunter_REM
http://myanimelist.net/anime/10710/Houkago_no_Pleiades:_Manner_Movie
http://myanimelist.net/anime/6205/K%C3%A4mpfer
http://myanimelist.net/anime/10076/K%C3%A4mpfer_f%C3%BCr_die_Liebe
http://myanimelist.net/anime/14349/Little_Witch_Academia
http://myanimelist.net/anime/5584/New_Dream_Hunter_Rem:_Setsuriku_no_Mudenmekyu
http://myanimelist.net/anime/5585/New_Dream_Hunter_Rem:_Yume_no_Kishitachi
http://myanimelist.net/anime/5080/Quiz_Magic_Academy:_The_Original_Animation
http://myanimelist.net/anime/7549/Quiz_Magic_Academy:_The_Original_Animation_2
http://myanimelist.net/anime/21085/Witch_Craft_Works

Romance:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/5620/Uchuu_Enban_Dai-Sensou


Also if anyone is supporting a military anime achievement count me in too.
 
May 22, 2014 5:33 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1489
Are absolutely all of those GAR? We can't add everything, after all.
Besides, you say that they don't fit into any categories but there are clearly some mech shows in there.
 
May 22, 2014 7:17 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 124
All of those GAR listed ones have manly individuals as the main characters or teach the main characters. Plus the Vampire Hunter D sequel is in and Exkaiser is from the same franchise as GaoGaiGar (and has friggin Sho Hayami as the titular robot with animation from Masami Obari). I guess I should have mention they don't come up in the GAR category specifically even though they're all mecha too.

Based on the response I presume the listed ones with MS and Romance are okay.
 
Jun 3, 2014 7:04 PM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 3452
For Mahou Shoujo:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1644/Princess_Rouge

Magical girl transformations in episode 2.
 
Jun 4, 2014 6:22 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 124
For Gar:

http://myanimelist.net/anime/6090/Hon_Ran

Lots of martial arts and male gaze, I also nominate Daimidaler for the category once it stops airing.
 
Jun 6, 2014 7:15 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 805
DuelGundam2099 said:

Based on the response I presume the listed ones with MS and Romance are okay.


I wonder about Mahou Shoujo ones. I'm not familiar with all titles mentioned by you, but Little Witch Academia for instance is not very Mahou Shoujo-ish, not in classical term. I mean, yes, the characters are witches, but there are no staple stuff like transformation, stockage-footage-attacks, winning love by daylight and/or fighting with monsters of the week. I'm also not sure if there is anything MS-ish in Kampfer, but I didn't watch it (as well as the other titles) so I'd prefer someone more "able" to determine that.
 
Jun 7, 2014 6:44 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 124
Blue Submarine No 6, Argento Soma, Betterman, Blue Gender, Casshern, Detonator Orgun, FLCL, Genocyber, Kigurumikku V3, Mai-Hime, MD Geist 1 and 2, Evangelion, Neo Ranga, Plastic Little, Legacium, Toei Robot Girls, and Tekkaman don't fit the bill of "classic" mecha anime or follow most staples, but they are considered in the genre and thus under the mecha achievement. Mahou Shoujo means "magic girl", girls using magical powers. If stuff like Uta Kata and Rayearth, neither which fit those staples either, can be classified as such then the stuff I listed should be okay. At the very least the Pleiades Manner Movie would qualify since the main series is already under the category.
 
Jun 7, 2014 3:30 PM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 81
Probably Blood Type V should be added for the requirements of the Vampire/Demon achievement, as the protagonist needs to suck blood after using his power and is precisely called a vampire at one point
 
Jun 8, 2014 7:26 PM
program noizes

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 797
DuelGundam2099 said:
Blue Submarine No 6, Argento Soma, Betterman, Blue Gender, Casshern, Detonator Orgun, FLCL, Genocyber, Kigurumikku V3, Mai-Hime, MD Geist 1 and 2, Evangelion, Neo Ranga, Plastic Little, Legacium, Toei Robot Girls, and Tekkaman don't fit the bill of "classic" mecha anime or follow most staples, but they are considered in the genre and thus under the mecha achievement. Mahou Shoujo means "magic girl", girls using magical powers. If stuff like Uta Kata and Rayearth, neither which fit those staples either, can be classified as such then the stuff I listed should be okay. At the very least the Pleiades Manner Movie would qualify since the main series is already under the category.


The thing is, mecha as a genre is a lot more open about what qualifies for it as long as a series' inclusion and integration of mecha suits/frames/whatever is prominent enough in the setting or storyline. It's a genre based on setting elements. Evangelion may not be typical mecha in a number of ways but there's no way anyone who's seen it wouldn't classify it as mecha. Mai-HiME is also not typical mecha, but it's pretty much known as a mahou shoujo series with lots of mecha elements. I'm not too familiar with most of the others you listed there, but of the ones I do know, they seem to have enough mecha elements to fit, even if they're very different in other ways (like plot and character types).

Mahou shoujo, on the other hand, needs more than just "girls using magical powers" for it to qualify as such. The genre has a long history of tropes associated to it like transformation scenes, secret identities, monsters of the week/episode, groups of mahou shoujos working together as heroes fighting evil, animal mascot type companions, and so on. A series doesn't need to fit exactly all of that to be mahou shoujo, but it should still have more elements than just "girls using magical powers." Uta-Kata, to use one of the examples you listed, has several of those. Uta-Kata feels very much like a dark, psychological mahou shoujo title, with transformation scenes, monsters of the episode, hidden/secret identities, and other common elements. In contrast, Little Witch Academia, feels like a school life human relations type of story that just so happens to be set in a magic school for witches. "Girls using magical powers" is pretty much the only common element it has. It's been a while since I watched either of them or I could get into more detail in explaining why LWA doesn't really fit the bill and UK does, but hopefully this gives some insight as to why the mahou shoujo genre and mecha genre listings would be treated a little differently from each other.
 
Jun 8, 2014 8:28 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 124
I see your point. With those tropes you listed Devil Hunter Yohko, Dream Hunter Rem, and Witch Craft Works do contain all those elements with Kampfer and Quiz Magic Academy having some of them (specifically transformations and monster fighting with magic use too).
 
Jun 8, 2014 10:52 PM
program noizes

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 797
Devil Hunter Yohko definitely would. I remember suggesting that for the mahou shoujo category a good while back, but I don't know if it somehow slipped through the cracks. (Sometimes it's hard to tell since they add missing titles to the lists so infrequently.)
 
Jun 9, 2014 5:53 PM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 52
I was gone for a month or two, so how high were the Romance Manga thresholds hiked this time? I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty miffed. I used to have level 2 with my 61 titles, now I have nothing at all.
 
 
Jun 10, 2014 11:08 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 196
pecc said:
I was gone for a month or two, so how high were the Romance Manga thresholds hiked this time? I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty miffed. I used to have level 2 with my 61 titles, now I have nothing at all.

Yes, how many Romance manga are necessary to achieve Level 1? 40? Which is the manga achievement that needs less titles?
The links in this thread to 'spoil' the achievements do not longer work so I can't see the information there.

Edit: I found it, all anime and manga thresholds can be seen here.
https://github.com/rr-/malgraph4/tree/master/data/achievements
Modified by KuroMayKami, Jul 24, 2014 1:26 PM
“We see what we want to see”
 
Jun 10, 2014 1:02 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 124
We could make a music achievement, there are enough anime to qualify for one.
 
Jun 11, 2014 6:52 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 196
DuelGundam2099 said:
We could make a music achievement, there are enough anime to qualify for one.

I second that, but apparently there won't be any new achievements:
fri said:

I'm afraid we're very close to the upper limit of number of achievements, and adding any more would ruin it. We're set to adding Space one for anime, but that would be all. Thanks for the suggestions though.
Modified by KuroMayKami, Jun 12, 2014 3:11 AM
“We see what we want to see”
 
Jun 16, 2014 7:08 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 196
These specials are missing in the Historical Achievement:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/7083/Hakushaku_to_Yousei_Specials
“We see what we want to see”
 
Jun 18, 2014 9:14 PM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 3452
fri said:
I'm afraid we're very close to the upper limit of number of achievements, and adding any more would ruin it. We're set to adding Space one for anime, but that would be all. Thanks for the suggestions though.
Would it be alright if we got rid of the Romance Achievement for anime and replaced it with something less mundane and generic? I get that you don't want to copy all the achievements for manga, but romance is in virtually all anime every season. Very much like moe girl's love comedies and harem shows, only even more common since romance crosses all genres.

You could replace it with an achievement for watching a certain number of anime from each decade. How many people nowadays have ever watched at least 10 shows from the 80's or even the 90's? You can bet that this same question would also apply to the 2000's in a couple of years. How about shows with a heavy focus on music like Love Live and K-On? You could even copy over the mystery or sports achievements from the Manga Achievements List.
 
Jun 19, 2014 4:02 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 393
I agree that romances are way too ubiquitous, but I'm against removing achievements. By the "upper limit" I meant saturation by number of achievements, not the server capacity. With the new queue it can process this stuff without a sweat. I just don't want to have too many badges, because they can become meaningless very quickly.

We may add some in the future, but it certainly won't be One Badge For Each Genre. That'd be too many.
 
Jun 21, 2014 7:12 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 124
Now that Daimidaler is over is is safe to say it can go under both GAR and love as it contains significant elements of both categories.
 
Jun 22, 2014 12:24 AM
program noizes

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 797
AiCon said:
You could replace it with an achievement for watching a certain number of anime from each decade. How many people nowadays have ever watched at least 10 shows from the 80's or even the 90's? You can bet that this same question would also apply to the 2000's in a couple of years.


There is an achievement for watching a number of series that aired no later than 1980.

Aside from the younger, more casual watchers, there are probably a lot of people who've completed at least ten shows from the 80s or 90s. Especially the 90s. Shows from the 2000s are a lot easier to get hold of, and in greater number, than earlier decades.
 
Jun 27, 2014 12:33 AM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 3452
Numi said:
There is an achievement for watching a number of series that aired no later than 1980.

Aside from the younger, more casual watchers, there are probably a lot of people who've completed at least ten shows from the 80s or 90s. Especially the 90s. Shows from the 2000s are a lot easier to get hold of, and in greater number, than earlier decades.
I meant for shows that were released during all of the 80's - not just 1980.

Most people that I've met on MAL are casual watchers with only around 200 or less titles on their list, despite watching anime and being on MAL for years. Also, the minimum requirement for each decade's achievement should be raised the closer you get to the present.
 
Jun 29, 2014 10:01 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 29582
Nothing major but Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu Ni!: Mahou Hideyoshi Hideyoshi seems to be missing from the Mahou Shoujo achievement.
For those who seek perfection, there can be no rest on this side of the grave.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
 
Jul 1, 2014 12:38 AM
program noizes

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 797
AiCon said:
Numi said:
There is an achievement for watching a number of series that aired no later than 1980.

Aside from the younger, more casual watchers, there are probably a lot of people who've completed at least ten shows from the 80s or 90s. Especially the 90s. Shows from the 2000s are a lot easier to get hold of, and in greater number, than earlier decades.
I meant for shows that were released during all of the 80's - not just 1980.

Most people that I've met on MAL are casual watchers with only around 200 or less titles on their list, despite watching anime and being on MAL for years. Also, the minimum requirement for each decade's achievement should be raised the closer you get to the present.


Yes, I understood what you were saying earlier. What I'm saying is that they most likely made the achievement as restricted as it is because it's more of an achievement that way. While MAL does have a lot of casual watchers, there's probably enough users on the site who've seen a sizable number of 80s shows that including the entire decade of the 80s for such an achievement would greatly increase the number of users who'd qualify for it. And 90s and '00s shows are even more plentiful compared to 80s shows' appearances on MAL users' lists. I get what you're saying and all, I just don't think that it'd make for much of an achievement, and I figure they would have already made something for that when they came out with the 1980-and-earlier achievement if they had any intention of it. Back when people first suggested the achievement, the idea had been that it'd be nostalgia in general, either pre-1990 or pre-2000. The achievement as you see it now is what they went with, so they're probably going to stick with it.
Modified by Numi, Jul 1, 2014 12:48 AM
 
Jul 1, 2014 1:08 AM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 3452
Numi said:
Yes, I understood what you were saying earlier. What I'm saying is that they most likely made the achievement as restricted as it is because it's more of an achievement that way. While MAL does have a lot of casual watchers, there's probably enough users on the site who've seen a sizable number of 80s shows that including the entire decade of the 80s for such an achievement would greatly increase the number of users who'd qualify for it. And 90s and '00s shows are even more plentiful compared to 80s shows' appearances on MAL users' lists. I get what you're saying and all, I just don't think that it'd make for much of an achievement, and I figure they would have already made something for that when they came out with the 1980-and-earlier achievement if they had any intention of it. Back when people first suggested the achievement, the idea had been that it'd be nostalgia in general, either pre-1990 or pre-2000. The achievement as you see it now is what they went with, so they're probably going to stick with it.
Perhaps having an achievement for the 90's and 2000's is a bit much, but I disagree with having an achievement for pre-1990. While there would certainly be more people who would get this achievement, I think that the number wouldn't be as many as you think since I think that most people simply don't bother with 80's anime to begin with. In my personal opinion, I think that the number would be comparable to the number of people who have the No Drop Achievement.
 
Jul 1, 2014 9:57 PM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 255
I'd rather have a pre-Tezuka/1960s achievement, personally >.>
 
Jul 5, 2014 12:09 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1489
It seems that Kenichi is not included in the GAR achievement. That may be something worth adding.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/1559/Shijou_Saikyou_no_Deshi_Kenichi
 
Jul 13, 2014 7:58 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 22035
Some new Anime achievements would be interesting!
 
Jul 15, 2014 1:45 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 636
BasedGodzilla said:
I'd rather have a pre-Tezuka/1960s achievement, personally >.>


Interesting, Although Tezuka is the "God of Manga /anime" so before him there wasn't much.

On a side note maybe a horror achievement or psychological achievement could be made with all thoe creepy horrors that fucked us up even more.
 
Jul 15, 2014 7:05 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2288
^ There is a Horror achievement
 
Jul 15, 2014 4:24 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 636
only for manga not for anime
 
Jul 20, 2014 10:16 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 122
animeno said:
BasedGodzilla said:
I'd rather have a pre-Tezuka/1960s achievement, personally >.>


Interesting, Although Tezuka is the "God of Manga /anime" so before him there wasn't much.

Not really, there was at least 50 titles. Some of them are really rare to find a copy of it , because many of them was before WWII and was destroyed during a bombing and a blazing inferno what was called once a warehouse. Still, we have enough to get a limited to 25 achi for "Classical lovers"...

..."classical lovers"... urgh, this sounds so iffy...
 
Jul 22, 2014 7:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 613
riqueterremoto said:
^ There is a Horror achievement
animeno said:
only for manga not for anime


Sad.

Are you the bloody applause monkey? Keep your sh*t comments to yourself or go troll on 4chan.
 
Jul 23, 2014 8:51 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 1334
How many mecha anime is required for the first level achievement?
 
Jul 23, 2014 10:38 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 393
clow_card said:
How many mecha anime is required for the first level achievement?
25 is level 1.
It may not be too readable at first, but you can find the thresholds here: https://github.com/rr-/malgraph4/blob/master/data/achievements/anime-mecha.json
 
Jul 24, 2014 11:58 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 1334
fri said:
clow_card said:
How many mecha anime is required for the first level achievement?
25 is level 1.
It may not be too readable at first, but you can find the thresholds here: https://github.com/rr-/malgraph4/blob/master/data/achievements/anime-mecha.json


Thank you :)
 
Jul 25, 2014 6:37 AM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 51
Moon Pride should be added to the Mahou Shoujo achievement.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/25375/MOON_PRIDE
 
Jul 26, 2014 1:12 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 2653
You guys should add UG Ultimate Girls to the mahou shoujo list. It has a transformation device, girls fighting monsters, a transformation scene, all the general mahou shoujo stuff in it.

http://myanimelist.net/anime.php?id=354
 
Jul 26, 2014 2:22 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 124
I've seen UG and I can confirm everything said above.
 
Jul 27, 2014 12:10 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 443
Is there an achievement for idol anime? If not, then at least for music anime? May be obvious question (sorry if it is)
 
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »