Forum Settings
Forums

What do you prefer? Tragic endings or happy endings?

New
Mar 25, 2013 5:06 PM

Aug 2012
I think that it depends. Let's use One Piece as example (I always use One Piece as example): Luffy fighted it has been 587 episodes, and there will be even more episodes. If everything ends up with a tragic ending, all hes fights will be worth nothing? I think he deserves a happy ending, he fight very hard for it.

But now, about Death Note: Did Yagami Light deserved a good ending? No, he didn't, for obvious reasons.

But anyway, what you think?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 25, 2013 5:07 PM

Jun 2010
For the most part, I like bittersweet endings. Happy endings are mostly too generic and completely bad endings generally don't leave a feeling of resolution.
Mar 25, 2013 5:07 PM

May 2008
Plot twist ending.
Mar 25, 2013 5:10 PM

Mar 2010
I prefer to have something in between? But I like happy endings the best, Since the good guy's should always win~

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Mar 25, 2013 5:10 PM

Mar 2012
What ever the type of ending, it needs to be deserved. Being sad for the sake of being sad doesn't make a good ending, it needs to feel warranted otherwise its just ends up being manipulative. But also a happy ending which wasn't deserved or really fought for will feel cheap.
Mar 25, 2013 5:11 PM

Oct 2012
Obviously depending on the type of show but I prefer endings that are more bad than good, yet not tragic, and have a ring of fatality to them.
Mar 25, 2013 5:11 PM

Jan 2010
Bittersweet, followed by a happy ending that's earned after going through a whole lot of crap.
Mar 25, 2013 5:14 PM

Jan 2013
Bittersweet ending. Great, but has it's bad things.

Mar 25, 2013 5:20 PM

Jul 2012
happy endings for everyone
I dislike lelouch vi Britannia.

im a shiki supporter

my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR90F0rzcss4CsrAbkZXTkg/featured?view_as=subscriber

Just past the 1500th Mark bitches

I approve this video http://youtu.be/U_0CCLxibFk
Mar 25, 2013 5:21 PM
Mar 2013
tragic ending are more realistic. i understand the main character have to live but the other characters shouldnt have that same protection. get tired of the same cheesy wraped in a bow endings
Mar 25, 2013 5:21 PM

Aug 2012
funny, most people prefer happy endings

I thought it would be the counter
Mar 25, 2013 5:23 PM

Feb 2010
zero92 said:
tragic ending are more realistic. i understand the main character have to live but the other characters shouldnt have that same protection. get tired of the same cheesy wraped in a bow endings

i fail to see how a mech blowing up an entire galaxy is realistic XD
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Mar 25, 2013 5:24 PM

Aug 2012
I can't answer the poll, since my answer is

Happy endings most of the time, sad endings sometimes
sexual incest in nisomonogatari - no one bats an eye
romance incest in SAO - everyone loses their minds

Jun 2012
Romance tragedies, and not the kind that the deceased comes to back to life thanks to some stupid fantasy bullshit. I'm looking at you,
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jan 2013
I like happy endings, but only if they're resolved in an unexpected, plot-twisting way. It's also nice to see endings that aren't 100% happy (like the death of a more-important-side character, or some sort of sacrifice that had to be made to achieve the best possible outcome, ect). Perfectly happy endings usually aren't done that well, and are far from realistic.

... but tragic endings really hurt my heart. For some reason a more tragic ending will stop me from rewatching the anime again... compared to a series with a happier ending which I can sit through multiple times. No matter how well done it was. I guess I just don't want to experience that tragedy all over again, at least for some while.
Mar 25, 2013 5:25 PM

Nov 2010
Depends on the anime, some anime are better with a tragic ending where tons of people die and you're left with bitter feelings, others are better with a happy ending where everything is tied up and lives happily ever after.
Mar 25, 2013 5:25 PM

Jul 2011
Gainax ending
Mar 25, 2013 5:26 PM

Sep 2011
bittersweet is always the best. Usuually when it pulls towards happy/ hopeful.

100% tragic endings are kind of....terrible, like from a writing standpoint they are horible, you can have a sad ending and be fine but as long as there is some form of hope. But when its a 100% downer then it makes the whole show feel like absolute waste of time.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 25, 2013 5:27 PM

Aug 2012
lupadim said:
But anyway, what you think?

I'd laugh if one piece had a sad ending, I might actually root for it
sexual incest in nisomonogatari - no one bats an eye
romance incest in SAO - everyone loses their minds

Oct 2012
Tragic endings always have a stronger impact.

Feb 2012
I prefer endings that fit with the show. Happy endings are considered a cliche by most, but I would argue that that's much more in western production not anime and it can't really be a cliche when there's only two or three real options. Tragic endings or dark edgy endings, if done right, do often leave the greatest impact on me, but many tragic endings are also forced and characters are killed in ridiculous ways for no other reason than they needed to die.
Mar 25, 2013 5:28 PM

Feb 2010
as long as its a well done ending and not bs example and then suddenly some random space monster that has no context with the actual plot appear and killed the hero the end :|
Slyr3do0n said:
I prefer endings that fit with the show. Happy endings are considered a cliche by most, but I would argue that that's much more in western production not anime and it can't really be a cliche when there's only two or three real options. Tragic endings or dark edgy endings, if done right, do often leave the greatest impact on me, but many tragic endings are also forced and characters are killed in ridiculous ways for no other reason than they needed to die.

+1
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Mar 25, 2013 5:33 PM
Jul 2012
Happy or bittersweet. I dont like sad endings.
I like pie.
Mar 25, 2013 5:37 PM

Feb 2008
I have nothing against happy endings if done right. But I hate it when they are forced via deus ex machina. Especially if it's one of those:
"<girlfriend's name> is dead..." *last episode* "Surprise! I am alive!" *happy ending* *fat otaku is now happy that his waifu is alive*
If they want that ending so badly, there are ways to make them legit, instead of just reviving the character or saying that she wasn't dead but just in a coma. People probably know what I'm talking about haha.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Mar 25, 2013 6:03 PM

Oct 2012
It really depends what type of anime it is for me. If it's a light comedy or something of that sort, then I'd probably prefer a happy ending, but if it's a really intense action or something then I'm okay with happy or sad as long as it's executed well.
Mar 25, 2013 6:09 PM

Mar 2013
Bittersweet endings have the best impact. You don't know what to think, you can't view them in black and white as you would a good or bad ending. They force you to be emotionally strong.
Mar 25, 2013 6:12 PM

Jan 2012
It really depends on the show and the type of ending that would best fit it...

That said, i've always been partial to bittersweet endings and feel they're the best type of ending. But if I had to pick between the two I probably go with a happy ending, especially if the protagonist worked hard for it. Its just overall more satisfying.
Mar 25, 2013 6:12 PM

Oct 2012
I prefer bittersweet endings or happy endings ( where the character has suffered enough )

Mar 25, 2013 6:24 PM
May 2010
Luxanna said:
For the most part, I like bittersweet endings. Happy endings are mostly too generic and completely bad endings generally don't leave a feeling of resolution.

This, or if it has to be one of those two, generally happy.
Worships Asparagus.
Mar 25, 2013 6:37 PM
Jul 2012
FauxAzn said:
Plot twist ending.
Mar 25, 2013 6:42 PM
Feb 2013
A middle ground. Something realistic and bittersweet.
Mar 25, 2013 6:48 PM

Mar 2013
Sad/Tragic endings are my favorite.
Mar 25, 2013 6:50 PM

Oct 2011
depends on what type of genre I'm reading/watching/etc.
Mar 25, 2013 6:53 PM

Aug 2012
I'll take any ending that's not forced or abrupt.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Mar 25, 2013 7:09 PM
Mar 2013
Shrabster said:

The more tragic, the more memorable and beloved it becomes to me. Of course, in reasonable with the entire story. It can't be like Bakuman and then have all the characters die suddenly, wouldn't make sense.
Mar 25, 2013 7:12 PM

Jun 2012
Tragic ends make give me so many feels. I also like cliff hangers because they give hope for another season.
Mar 25, 2013 7:14 PM

Oct 2012
>looks at poll
Why would anyone prefer "bad" endings?
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 25, 2013 7:15 PM

Jan 2013
Diacritic said:
Shrabster said:

The more tragic, the more memorable and beloved it becomes to me. Of course, in reasonable with the entire story. It can't be like Bakuman and then have all the characters die suddenly, wouldn't make sense.

Exactly! It has to depend on the anime and it can't be a forced ending. Happy endings don't always stick with me. Tragic or bittersweet endings end up stuck on my mind.
Mar 25, 2013 7:18 PM

Feb 2012
katsucats said:
>looks at poll
Why would anyone prefer "bad" endings?

Yes the poll is poorly written.
Even assuming "bad" means "sad" it's still missing the obvious "it depends on the show."
Mar 25, 2013 7:34 PM

Sep 2012
Tragic endings leave a greater emotional impact.

But whether or not I like tragic endings better than happy endings depends on how the tragedy is handled, and the character actions there after.

If the tragedy is portrayed as facetious or in mean spirit, such as
I dislike it. It seems too cynical and creates nothing but negative emotion.

If the tragedy is portrayed as a true tragedy and results in a positive character development, like
I love it.

I also like it if it is used as exposition for means of characterization. However, this could go in two different directions, depending on how it's treated the rest of the series. Like in

However, again, if displayed facetiously, like in

I also don't like drama for the sake of drama. Like

I also don't like melodrama. Characters overreacting to stupid stuff for the sake of "drama"

Overall, tragic leaves a greater impact, but it depends entirely on how it is presented for whether or not I like it.
Mar 25, 2013 7:38 PM

Jul 2012
It depends rally, I can't blanket say "I like happy endings" or "I like tragic endings"..
Screw it, happy endings. I don't care how tragic it is as long as there is some semblance of happiness by the end. If anything is straight tragedy, as in no happiness by the end of it complete despair, I probably won't like it, unless its the level of masterpiece that can pull it off.
Now that I think about it, what anime actually have a tragic ending? I mean, I can think of tons of em with tragic events, but I don't think I've seen a true tragedy.

If you really want to fit in, just put Legend of the Galactic Heroes in your top 5 and have it be the only 10-rated anime in your list.
Mar 25, 2013 7:39 PM

Jul 2012
Red_Keys said:
Tragic endings leave a greater emotional impact.

But whether or not I like tragic endings better than happy endings depends on how the tragedy is handled, and the character actions there after.

If the tragedy is portrayed as facetious or in mean spirit, such as
I dislike it. It seems too cynical and creates nothing but negative emotion.

If the tragedy is portrayed as a true tragedy and results in a positive character development, like
I love it.

I also like it if it is used as exposition for means of characterization. However, this could go in two different directions, depending on how it's treated the rest of the series. Like in

However, again, if displayed facetiously, like in

I also don't like drama for the sake of drama. Like

I also don't like melodrama. Characters overreacting to stupid stuff for the sake of "drama"

Overall, tragic leaves a greater impact, but it depends entirely on how it is presented for whether or not I like it.

This is mean. I want to see your examples but I'm terrified of spoiling somehting I haven't seen. GAH

If you really want to fit in, just put Legend of the Galactic Heroes in your top 5 and have it be the only 10-rated anime in your list.
Mar 25, 2013 7:40 PM

Sep 2012
QuiGonJon said:
This is mean. I want to see your examples but I'm terrified of spoiling somehting I haven't seen. GAH
I double-spoilered it specifically for that reason haha, so all shall be safe!
Mar 25, 2013 7:44 PM

Aug 2009
I actually prefer a mind-fuck ending or even a good cliffhanger.

Mar 25, 2013 7:47 PM

Jul 2012
Red_Keys said:
QuiGonJon said:
I double-spoilered it specifically for that reason haha, so all shall be safe!

Ah I see now, how useful

Mar 25, 2013 7:48 PM

Sep 2011
Happy Endings. I'm not really good with Tragic Endings.

Mar 25, 2013 8:24 PM

Nov 2010
It really depends for me...I like different types of endings for different anime. xD
~ Ciel fan forever ~

Mar 25, 2013 10:43 PM

Aug 2009
I hate sad/tragic endings.Those endings piss me off.They make me feel like I just wasted 4-9 hours over the course of the week I spent watching that series.
Mar 25, 2013 10:48 PM

Apr 2010
For some reasons, It's hard for me to like tragic endings. Can't help but think "Why?" in the end.
Mar 25, 2013 10:54 PM

Dec 2012
No way am I watching anything with a tragic ending that renders the whole story pointless, such as Grave of The Fireflies.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

137 by KittenCuddler »»
24 seconds ago

» Is anime just more honest about it's intent than western media?

Spunkert - 2 hours ago

3 by FanofAction »»
12 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 1 hour ago

4 by Rinrinka »»
15 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

47 by LostSpectre »»
22 minutes ago

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 4 hours ago

18 by Vaturna »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.