Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 8, 2008 12:20 PM

Mar 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ahh, the famous athletic festival episode. Together with the cultural festival and the beach episode, one of the must-haves of episodic high school series. I thought Marimite wouldn't use this cliché, but I guess I was wrong.
Although I have to admit it was nice to see that Lillian is just like all the other schools. Since I couldn't find many similarities between both my Christian school and Japanese schools usually presented in anime, I got a bit worried.
Apr 21, 2009 4:54 PM

Dec 2007
The cultural/sports festival is mandatory in school animes because all high schools have those (I live in another country and even my school has both cultural and sports festivals). Things to remember in this episode where the introduction of Yumi's parents (very Yumi-like in attitude) and Sachiko's father, the Yumi-Sachiko growing relationship and, of course, the "roses' cosplay" (hands down Sachiko's cheering uniform).
Jan 27, 2010 3:02 AM

Aug 2009
Sachiko-sama as an Ouendan! *o* I'd never thought of that.
(Must play Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! again)
Apr 26, 2013 5:47 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Woe to the defeated.

;)
Feb 13, 2014 8:48 AM

Aug 2013
"Shimako is completely incompetent" lol Yoshino. I really like her straightforwardness especially with how she dealt with Itsue.

Rei and her canary costume :D

Touko wanted to dance with Yumi, not Sachiko. Yumi, take a hint :p
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Dec 19, 2014 12:23 AM

Sep 2014
Loved this episode (well...I have loved every single Marimite episode so far XD)! When I saw Sachiko's cosplay I had the exact same reaction as Yumi...can't..stop...staring! It was so cute how Sachiko was agonizing over meeting Yumi's parents and Yumi didn't even think about introducing her XD. Also how Yumi's dad "having" a rival with Sachiko's dad. Oh man, they're pretty much a couple! No more subtext for me! And that ED art video where they almost kiss! D'aww~

xchee said:
Touko wanted to dance with Yumi, not Sachiko. Yumi, take a hint :p

teeheehee
Jan 23, 2015 4:44 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Yoshino went boss mode during the festival. Itsue wanted a harsher punishment from Yoshino and she just put her in her place. Not having time to babysit a child that's throwing tantrums.

Sachiko gets mad that Yumi forgot to introduce her parents and Sachiko didn't know her father was there. Both turned out to be out of the blue introductions so I guess both Sachiko and Yumi are even at that.

I liked the latin music that was playing right before it switched over to the Japanese one and then shortly after to Rei dancing in her Canary costume.

Jun 15, 2015 10:29 AM

Jan 2010
Seeing Yumi's parents choke on their lunch simultaneously was great. I can see where Yumi gets her personality from.
Jul 14, 2015 3:40 PM
Jul 2015
I loved the sports fest episode. The season three ova in general has to be my favorite season. However, I'm curious does anyone know the song and dance they do during that episode?
Jul 19, 2017 6:05 PM
Aug 2014
Least favourite episode of the season so far. Though there were some nice moments between Yumi and Sachicko.
Apr 19, 2018 11:12 AM

Mar 2017
LMAO REI'S COSTUMEEE I CANT STOP LAUGHING MAYGHAWD

HEEEELLPPPPPPPP

猫はかわいいです。 (ꈍ ‸ ꈍ)

Oct 3, 2018 2:48 AM

Jul 2017
Animation quality was godawful
Jul 4, 2020 1:42 PM
Jan 2018
Toko seems to be more bearable this season
Jan 6, 2022 11:31 AM

Aug 2018
Everyone getting worked up for the race at sports festival.. Especially lol at Yoshino at around 10:44.. ;P
lol, what is that cheering contest.. ;D It was too funny.. ;P
I like that Yumi and Yoshino talk a lot together this episode.. They work together so well as a couple of friends.. ;P
Sachiko so looking forward to meet Yumi's parents.. ;P
Yeah, just "normal" family is certainly something more pleasant if to compare to some high society bs or something..
Meeting parents, now festival dance.. Yumi and Sachiko are having quite a lovely date right there.. ;P And for real - has to be nice..
That's so sad and sweet to see Yoshino and Rei running together there indeed..
lol, Sachiko's father seems pretty chill and even funny.. He just pretended to go to the toilet and so escaped wedding and went to sports festival instead, lol.. ;P
One of the best episodes overall, actually.. ;P It was lots of fun..
Apr 12, 2022 8:15 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
This was a great one, loved the sports festival theme, that’s something I didn’t think I’d see this series doing, but it was really good. It was fun seeing all the girls compete and dress up for the occasion, loved the green team’s boys uniforms and Rei looked goofy in her getup lol, and of course Shimako looked great, and you gotta love the classic sports festival look with the headbands. There was also a fair share of drama here with Kanako and Yumi’s deal, but it turned out to me more of a lighthearted request (as I thought it might be lol) as Kanako only wanted a picture with Yumi, which Yumi agreed to anyway despite her win, Yumi being awesome once again lol.

I also really loved the parent stuff in this one, Sachiko meeting Yumi’s parents, who I don’t think even we’ve seen until now lol, was great, and I called when Yumi grabbed the “man in a suit” would end up being Sachiko’s dad lol, nice turn of events there. And after that moment Kanako passed Yumi during the race, I wonder if that’ll lead to something down the road, who knows lol. I definitely really enjoyed this episode filled with sports festival hilarity and antics, paired with some really nice moments as well. Sad that there’s only one episode left of Season 3, it’s been a very good one, probably my favorite season so far.
Apr 22, 2022 8:19 PM

Jun 2014
It was interesting to see everyone competing in various events. Yumi met Sachiko's father for the first time, and Sachiko met Yumi's parents as well.

Yumi's relationship with Kanako is improving.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Maria-sama ga Miteru 3rd Episode 2 Discussion

Teddy - Dec 8, 2008

14 by Yinkie66 »»
Aug 22, 2023 10:36 PM

» the last episode

Roncha - Sep 3, 2008

1 by Rouqerd »»
Mar 10, 2023 2:35 AM

Poll: » Maria-sama ga Miteru 3rd Episode 3 Discussion

Teddy - Dec 8, 2008

13 by elgatosaika »»
Feb 23, 2023 5:56 AM

Poll: » Maria-sama ga Miteru 3rd Episode 1 Discussion

Teddy - Dec 8, 2008

18 by elgatosaika »»
Feb 18, 2023 7:54 AM

Poll: » Maria-sama ga Miteru 3rd Episode 5 Discussion

Teddy - Dec 8, 2008

20 by jenkitsune »»
Aug 20, 2022 8:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.