Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 13, 2012 5:08 PM
Dec 2011
I don't get why people down this series after watching a few episodes (along with Excel Saga) just for the fact that it's random. It's as if random and humor can't exist within a hundred miles of each other. And the reviews are given "Not Helpful" so often, I wonder if people even stop to read the review before saying "Is shit, thumbs down." My main question is - why? Why do these people hate on Nichijou so much, without giving it a good chance? It has as much potential as any other show that is random (FLCL for example, I love it, and so do so many other people for it's randomness) but Nichijou hasn't gotten as far as I would hope without an enormous mountain of hate. /rant See ya
Dec 13, 2012 5:37 PM
Sep 2011
The fact that it bombed in Japan still baffles me, especially since Japan seems to eat up every other thing KyoAni makes. Haruhi, K-On, and Lucky Star are all treated like legends of anime, and Chuunibyou is on it's way as well, so why not Nichijou?

Even Danshi Kokousei no Nichijou is regarded as better than this show, and it's humor was similar but worse.
Dec 13, 2012 5:49 PM

Nov 2010
I didn't even know that people disliked this show. I remember hearing about the real people who switched some people's bike seats with broccoli. That's still one of my favorite comedies, I like the comedy better than Danshi Kokousei no Nichijou, and probably more than Gintama.
Dec 13, 2012 5:53 PM

Dec 2010
I have no idea...

This show is one of my favorite animes of all time but people seem to hate how random and "dull" the comedy is. I think you just have to be open to the kind of "funny" it exhibits. I mean, it's noticably geared more towards people who are aware of the term "trolls". Sure it has a lot of slapstick comedy, but it's pulled off pretty well.

Confused as hell.

Dec 14, 2012 7:29 AM

Sep 2012
ive just finished re watching this again and im utterly baffled as to how in the hell this bombed in japan. like holy crap, i literally don't think ive seen anything comparable in any form of media that's ever made me laugh this hard this often (okay 1 exception, the ghost stories gag dub but that's a special case)
and how someone could hate this show is simply beyond me, some of the things in this that made me laugh i wouldn't have ever thought up had you locked me in a room with a pen and paper for 1200 years.

this is literally my second favorite anime of all time, and its such a shame that its only going to get a release outside of japan in australia only on DVD only. this show really deserved far faar better than it got.
Dec 14, 2012 6:30 PM
Sep 2012
Damn, i expected Nichijou to get more love and praise. Guess i was wrong or peoples expectations were too high.
I've watched 3 episodes so far and my lungs can't handle the sheer amount of laughter i'm pumping out.
Dec 14, 2012 10:03 PM

Sep 2012
EradicatE said:
Damn, i expected Nichijou to get more love and praise. Guess i was wrong or peoples expectations were too high.
I've watched 3 episodes so far and my lungs can't handle the sheer amount of laughter i'm pumping out.

man wait until episode 15 onwards, the first 14 are laugh out loud funny, the last 12 are just on another level
Jan 5, 2013 4:45 PM

Feb 2012
eldest said:
EradicatE said:

man wait until episode 15 onwards, the first 14 are laugh out loud funny, the last 12 are just on another level

They aren't that funny and focus more on the SOL elements. That doesn't make 'em bad, but anyone expecting pure comedy will be disappointed.

Still funnier than Lucky Star
In 9/10 cases, the worst thing about an anime is its fandom.
Jan 5, 2013 4:50 PM
Nov 2010
it's 2deep4people
Jan 5, 2013 6:32 PM

Aug 2012
Nichijou was funny as hell! i usually don't laugh at anime but this one made me laugh my ass off, maybe it got hate because it had no plot and it was way too funny
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Jan 5, 2013 6:33 PM

Sep 2012
just a quick reminder, nichijou is getting a dvd release this march, on the 20th in australia, episodes 1-13
Feb 6, 2013 5:50 PM

Jan 2012
Watched the 2 first ep. Fell asleep. Woke up and deleted it. Still pending if I should finish it. KyoAni is overrated.
Feb 7, 2013 12:11 AM

Sep 2012
leesan said:
Watched the 2 first ep. Fell asleep. Woke up and deleted it. Still pending if I should finish it. KyoAni is overrated.

you expect to get enjoyment out of a slapstick SOL after watching 2 episodes then deleting it?
ok.
Mar 9, 2013 5:06 AM

Jan 2008
I just didn't find it funny. It was random, sometimes clever, and quite inventive. But I didn't find it funny. It was nowhere near Azumanga Daioh. And as for asking why it bombed, even though the Japanese usually buy up all Kyoto Animation shows: this is as far removed from what they usually put out as you can get without changing the genre. I watched 7 full episodes, and them skimmed the rest. I deleted it after. I can see why it bombed: no moe, no fanservice, Kyoto Animation's name on it gave people the wrong expectations, and the humor is hit-or-miss, with nothing in between. They use the exact set of joke types for all 26 episodes. If you didn't find it funny the first time, you won't find it funny the second time.
Mar 11, 2013 9:12 PM

Aug 2007
It's just completely different compared to the studio's previous works, before or since then. Humor is the most subjective thing on the planet anyway, so I don't think there's much concrete criticism for the show.

Admittedly, I don't always get some of the skits. But it's very pleasant and silly fun.

Only thing I can think of is that it's not Haruhi or K-oN; no one in the series is particularly cute, and the gags rely more on the culture and the bizarre tone than simple 'characters being cute' gags.

Mar 12, 2013 3:24 PM

Jan 2008
Hias said:
no one in the series is particularly cute

How DARE you say the Prof and Nano aren't cute.
YOU WILL BE RAPED BY GOATS TONIGHT!
Mar 14, 2013 4:39 AM

Jul 2009
Since Azumanga Daioh did great, i can't see a reason why this did not. This is like a fast-paced version of Azumanga Daioh and nearly just as random. The jokes are hilarious and the animation is fantastic and fluid. Why does the best animes do bad? Both this and Kami Nomi are superb shows, but with low sales. Only moe/ecchi crap sells these days ==
Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle!
Mar 14, 2013 5:51 AM

Sep 2012
Keitaro004 said:
Since Azumanga Daioh did great, i can't see a reason why this did not. This is like a fast-paced version of Azumanga Daioh and nearly just as random. The jokes are hilarious and the animation is fantastic and fluid. Why does the best animes do bad? Both this and Kami Nomi are superb shows, but with low sales. Only moe/ecchi crap sells these days ==

it was a combinations of the japanese having shitty taste and the blurays being priced higher than usual.

but, if youre in australia, youre in luck, nichijou gets released next wednesday on dvd
May 13, 2013 7:49 AM

Sep 2012
DmonHiro said:
Hias said:
no one in the series is particularly cute

How DARE you say the Prof and Nano aren't cute.
YOU WILL BE RAPED BY GOATS TONIGHT!

hahahahaha so true!!!

i don't understand that someone actually doesn't like this series. everything is so cute and hilarious ^.^
i'm only at third episode and i love it!!!!
私の力はあなたの理解を超えています
Jun 3, 2013 4:55 PM

May 2012
i loved nichijou, not just for the humor but on how well-written a lot of the characters were
especially hakase and nano, i'm really glad that they wrote hakase exactly like a kid her age and didn't try to make her seem "smart"!! a normal kid with as much intelligence as she has would act according to her whims and what made her happy and wouldn't really care much about how it affects the other party etc etc etc

i'm also a sucker for funny slice-of-life so ┐( ̄ー ̄)┌
Jun 3, 2013 7:46 PM

Oct 2007
Looks at topic, looks at rank on MAL....doesn't compute.
Jun 3, 2013 8:18 PM

Sep 2012
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Looks at topic, looks at rank on MAL....doesn't compute.

check the sales
Jun 28, 2013 7:02 PM

Jun 2012
eldest said:
Keitaro004 said:

it was a combinations of the japanese having shitty taste and the blurays being priced higher than usual.

but, if youre in australia, youre in luck, nichijou gets released next wednesday on dvd

This. Exactly. The anime didn't pander enough. Too bad Kyoani are gonna learn form their mistakes, and are unlikely to make another anime fueled by such incredible creativity.
Jun 28, 2013 7:13 PM

Apr 2011
...What hate?
Jun 28, 2013 7:30 PM

Mar 2012
I wouldn't say Nichijou gets a lot of "hate." However, it didn't seem to get the love and appreciation from fans it deserves.

I am baffled at how this series didn't sell in Japan. This series is littered with hilariously weird Japanese comedy. Also considering its a KyoAni series, it's baffling.

I find it strange that this series might actually be more popular in the U.S. than in Japan. That's very odd to me. *shrugs*
Jul 1, 2013 6:36 PM
gokigenyou~

May 2013
Well I think its the fact that the overall humor of the show is something that not everyone is into. If you don't like random humor, you probably won't like it. It all depends on what brand of humor you're into, I guess. I've only seen 6 episodes so far and I don't think I've ever laughed this hard to an anime since Plastic Nee-san lol. I don't see how you can HATE it though. I think it's hilarious, but then again I like random humor.

Jul 2, 2013 12:10 PM

Apr 2013
LivingGoatWhore said:
Well I think its the fact that the overall humor of the show is something that not everyone is into. If you don't like random humor, you probably won't like it. It all depends on what brand of humor you're into, I guess. I've only seen 6 episodes so far and I don't think I've ever laughed this hard to an anime since Plastic Nee-san lol. I don't see how you can HATE it though. I think it's hilarious, but then again I like random humor.
Yep, ditto I guess it's not everyones cup of tea, I found it to be so good by the time I was at episode 14 I would instinctively have a smile broader than Wayne Rooney's forehead just from listening to the intro song, before any joke was even said.
Jul 2, 2013 12:20 PM

Nov 2010
SlothieSloth said:
LivingGoatWhore said:
Yep, ditto I guess it's not everyones cup of tea, I found it to be so good by the time I was at episode 14 I would instinctively have a smile broader than Wayne Rooney's forehead just from listening to the intro song, before any joke was even said.
All I had to do was watch the first episode to be hooked. The weiner fiasco, squid leg in the hair, and the "Me too" thing got me.
Jul 2, 2013 1:18 PM

Apr 2011
It's actually one of the only Kyoto anime I like, and my favorite from that studio(FMP and Haruhi were pretty good...). Did it really sell badly in Japan? I agree with others, that is very surprising and a shame. The show was freaking hilarious, and the animation was probably the best I've seen from Kyoto(albeit it wasn't realistically drawn..). I'm not usually fond of the moe' comedies, but this is an example of that genre done right. Having "cute" characters doesn't mean they need to be fap material... If all moe' was like Nichjou, I would be a happy camper.
Jul 3, 2013 3:23 AM

Jun 2012
The animation is amazing, it's unique and stylistic. The OP and ED are absolutely perfect and I still listen to them from time to time.

On the other hand, I only watched it to episode 17 and by then I had lost interest. It's almost 2 years since I watched it so it may be because I watched it while it was broadcasting and forgot about it while waiting for the next episode (wasn't much of an anime fan back then).

I'm probably going to go back and watch it again some time soon and see if I can get all the way through. I do remember all the characters were very funny to watch. I think I liked Mio the best; Mai got annoying after a while, but I liked the scene where she gets hit by a falling apart shrine.
Shoot first, think never.
Jul 3, 2013 3:32 AM

Sep 2012
Open-Dice said:
The animation is amazing, it's unique and stylistic. The OP and ED are absolutely perfect and I still listen to them from time to time.

On the other hand, I only watched it to episode 17 and by then I had lost interest. It's almost 2 years since I watched it so it may be because I watched it while it was broadcasting and forgot about it while waiting for the next episode (wasn't much of an anime fan back then).

I'm probably going to go back and watch it again some time soon and see if I can get all the way through. I do remember all the characters were very funny to watch. I think I liked Mio the best; Mai got annoying after a while, but I liked the scene where she gets hit by a falling apart shrine.

it gets better as it goes on, 17-26 is better than 8-17
Jul 3, 2013 3:46 AM

Jan 2013
Nichijou is awesome
Jul 12, 2013 2:14 PM

May 2012
"Why so much hate?"

3rd highest rated Kyoto anime on MAL

lol
Jul 12, 2013 2:23 PM

Nov 2010
SuperImpact said:
"Why so much hate?"

3rd highest rated Kyoto anime on MAL

lol
Highly rated anime still get hate, and that's only on this site.

TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:
It's actually one of the only Kyoto anime I like, and my favorite from that studio(FMP and Haruhi were pretty good...). Did it really sell badly in Japan?
Apparently it did, especially compared to the amount of money they probably but into it. Kinda sad though, I would have wanted a second season.
Dec 29, 2014 1:45 AM

Dec 2014
The random scenes are nice, although I think maybe that is why people hate Nichijou cuz it's slow and dragging.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 3, 2015 5:35 AM

Jun 2014
The comedy is too forced and unfunny, that's why. KyoAni's eye candy animation also doesn't help, sometimes it makes some of the supposed to be funny bits look way too over the top.
Aug 3, 2015 7:39 AM

Jul 2014
Signore said:
The comedy is too forced and unfunny, that's why. KyoAni's eye candy animation also doesn't help, sometimes it makes some of the supposed to be funny bits look way too over the top.

This.
Aug 3, 2015 7:50 AM

Dec 2012
While I enjoyed this, the fanbase of nichijou seems to be mostly composed of autistic undesirable people so there's that.

Kinda distanced myself from anything nichijou related.

I don't watch as much anime as before...
Apr 29, 2016 3:57 PM

Jun 2011
This is...

One of the worst anime of modern days!

I saw the whole series, yes, the characters were stupid, archetypical and cutesy and the writing and directing makes me wish I watched Boxtrolls instead. The professor is a spoiled brat, Yukko has too few of flaws and mostly spends her time being popular. Misato grew on me but before, she acted like a tsundere.

That ending, UGH, THAT ENDING! Was the worst ending I've ever seen! The characters were underdeveloped and I'm glad this horrible piece of crap has ended.

KyoAni is the worst animation studios of recent years. They ruin potential with their childish writing and directing and don't even want the audience to care about the characters.
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Apr 29, 2016 4:07 PM

Oct 2015
Well, I'm not surprised that it's so polarising. From the camp of someone who fucking loves nichijou I can see why some people hate it. The comedy although sometimes funny, is at other times terrible, and the setting could feel somewhat cliche to a lot of viewers. The comedy on the whole is not nearly as random as say, the "comedy" in FLCL however, at least the jokes in nichijou have some kind of context and buildup.

I love Nichijou because of its general visual presentation and mood. It is just something I can watch clips of and unwind by its comfy atmosphere.

Also, the series flopped in Japan because it aired during the Sendai earthquake of 2011, at that time keeping up with a slice of life comedy was not exactly high on the priority lists of most japanese. Also forced animation
LobindeApr 29, 2016 4:12 PM
Apr 29, 2016 4:12 PM

Dec 2013
I didn't even know people hated it, I only hear praise for it whenever it's brought up among most places I go to where anime is discussed

It's one of my favorites, but I suppose not everyone can dig absurdist style - Even by most standards in anime Nichijou is on a whole other level of insanity
Apr 30, 2016 10:36 AM

Oct 2015
Vinum_Sabbathi said:
I didn't even know people hated it, I only hear praise for it whenever it's brought up among most places I go to where anime is discussed

It's one of my favorites, but I suppose not everyone can dig absurdist style - Even by most standards in anime Nichijou is on a whole other level of insanity

It's a very popular show, but is also hated by much of the "elitist" crowd because it lacks a conventional story.

It is VERY absurd too, and filled with japanese cultural references, obviously this means that some westerners will be put off from enjoying it.
May 28, 2016 7:41 AM

Apr 2015
I don't hate this show but it was so boring, like I've watched other SoLs but this show was Goddamn boring. I tried liking it but it was hopeless.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 18, 2016 12:25 PM

Jul 2014
Lobinde said:
It's a very popular show, but is also hated by much of the "elitist" crowd because it lacks a conventional story.

It is VERY absurd too, and filled with japanese cultural references, obviously this means that some westerners will be put off from enjoying it.

What's so Japanese about the humor that only the people who enjoy the show would be able to understand it, and therefore, enjoy the show?
Jun 18, 2016 1:06 PM

Oct 2015
D-ohnuts said:
Lobinde said:

What's so Japanese about the humor that only the people who enjoy the show would be able to understand it, and therefore, enjoy the show?

Eh, the humour isn't that inherently japanese, I was saying it has a lot of japanese cultural references. The humour is often random for the sake of being random which makes a lot of people dismiss the whole show. I don't find Nichijou to have the best humour but the humour combined with the comfy atmosphere of the characters and show makes it something special for me.
Aug 15, 2016 4:08 AM
Aug 2016
I think people only see the random parts and think it's random for the sake of being random. It's same with some cartoons in the west that are hated, while some are good but they don't see the humour, just randomness
Sep 10, 2016 8:58 AM

Apr 2009
So far I'm on episode 10 now, and I don't see why some people hate this show. Good to watch this after a stressful day at work.
Sep 19, 2016 7:40 PM

Mar 2016
I don't hate this show, but i don't find "girls act cute, innocent and stupid" which seems like the main humor in this show as funny. . . There are some funny scenes that keep me watching it though. . .
"People who don't see that anime has changed are either wearing "glasses" or watching only a certain type (and or era) of anime"
"Having a low mean score doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't enjoy anime. Rating system is not a school grading system."
"Elitist is people who think he is superior than others. Not necessarily ones who insulting/critisizing your favorite anime or people who enjoy a certain type of anime"
"Fanboy is people who translating "your favorite anime is shit" into "you are shit".
"Being a fanboy is an indication of elitism"
Sep 21, 2016 3:57 AM

Aug 2009
As everyone has pointed out in this discussion years ago, depends on the kind of humor you like. Either it will be extremely funny to you, so-so, or flat-out boring. I have never laughed so hard watching an anime. "Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu" had me busting a serious gut too.

But again, episodes 1-12 were good but episode 13 or 14 and on wards were superior and on another level. I will recommend and shout this anime from the rooftops!! Hopefully some will appreciate the creative genius the show actually is. And if not, that's all good too.

And it's nice to have an anime with random scenes sometimes, just to watch with no pressure.

Aug 19, 2017 2:52 AM

Aug 2017
A lot of the jokes can fall flat either by playing them out over a long period or straight up explaining the punchline, but I still love Nichijou for it's sol moments, it's a good anime to unwind to without finding any of the humor gut-bustingly hilarious.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nichijou Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

shuncchi - Apr 23, 2011

152 by Barrybee1234 »»
Apr 7, 9:29 PM

Poll: » Nichijou Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Sep 24, 2011

257 by BeastlyFalcon »»
Apr 5, 5:11 AM

Poll: » Nichijou Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

stevewiess01 - Apr 9, 2011

197 by LoboDoido08 »»
Apr 1, 12:50 PM

Poll: » Nichijou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kuro4735 - Apr 2, 2011

285 by LoboDoido08 »»
Apr 1, 12:12 PM

Poll: » Nichijou Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

stevewiess01 - Jun 25, 2011

131 by NintendoGirl85 »»
Mar 29, 10:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.