Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 10, 2012 8:55 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Shima and merman became "someone to accompany" of being lonely to couple? Kind of weird but I like it.

ED: "Umi yori Aoku (海より蒼く)" by Hikaru Midorikawa. The ED was very calm.
tsubasaloverNov 10, 2012 8:59 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Nov 17, 2012 3:16 PM

Jun 2012
where to watch it (RAW): http://kaori-lawliet.tumblr.com/post/35369327509/the-second-oav-of-o-o-series

I'm going to finish it and then I edit the coment~

EDIT:

awwww I want that OST<3 *^*
/cute chibi version of Isaki xD/

btw, it's only me or Shima looks like Homuro of KnB?

LOOL!! (4.50) in the TV it appears the first ova of Kono danshi!!

aaaaaahhhh.... why they're so damn short??? want to watch more Q n Q

PD: Hikaru Midorikawa!!!<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
NemuriNezumiNov 17, 2012 5:11 PM

- I only draw freestyle! -
Dec 13, 2012 12:00 PM

Feb 2012
Just finished watching it and it was absolutely awesome!
Crazy that such a short piece can make you laugh, smile and cry.

I wonder if they were watching Uchuujin to Tatakaemasu on TV.

And... Just how did the merman ride that bicycle? I don't get it.

But still. This was even more fantastic than the first OVA of Kono Dan series!
Jan 12, 2013 7:16 AM
Oct 2011
Has anyone an English translation for it? RAW is RAW, but I'd like to know what are they saying - my knowledge of Japanese is too low :<
Jan 14, 2013 10:23 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I watched it with Chinese subs, and as if my level of reading Chinese isn't low enough, it HAD to be in simplified, which I am not (as) familiar with. I had to stop the video so many times just to try to figure out the subs and there were MANY parts in the beginning where there were just words all over the screen. I know that it's made by only one person, so director probably wanted to fit as much as possible into the OVA in just ~30 minutes, but I believe it's probably also difficult for Japanese people to have to read all that in just a second or two (or maybe I could be wrong).

Besides that, I loved this! The art is very unique and the colors were vibrant, the backgrounds were also very beautifully made. The BGM was also very pretty, especially the part where Isaki is in the ocean swimming around, and of course that ED song was just as amazing. Although it was only ~30 minutes long, there were touching parts that made me cry and then there were also super cute parts that gave me a fuzzy warm feeling, and even funny parts that made me laugh. I'm glad I found this since I love Kajikaji. Btw, he did a great job as Shima.
Jan 14, 2013 10:36 PM

Aug 2011
I am glad I found out the second OVA was released last year by browsing on MAL. Enjoyed it and especially since I found a streaming site with English subs.
For those who are wanting to watch it subbed go here:
Jan 19, 2013 10:21 AM

May 2008
God this was adorable ;A; I wish there was more..

Jan 20, 2013 1:00 AM

Jan 2008
I stumbled across the page of this adorable looking anime, and now I really want to watch it. It's mentioned as being the 'second OVA', would I need to watch the first in order for this to make sense, or is it a contained story on its own? Thanks!
Jan 22, 2013 10:03 PM

Nov 2007
omg this is so freaking cute omg

MistressMorbid said:
I stumbled across the page of this adorable looking anime, and now I really want to watch it. It's mentioned as being the 'second OVA', would I need to watch the first in order for this to make sense, or is it a contained story on its own? Thanks!

no you don't. they are separate though the first ova is seen a bit on the tv in this one. lol

banana
Jan 23, 2013 2:37 AM

Mar 2010
I'm surprised how they managed to get so much cuteness, love and angst into one short OVA. Certainly I did not expect it would be so good in terms of shounen-ai romance, narration an unusual pairing (a boy + a mermen). The story of two lonely guys may seem a bit cliché but it works. :)
Jan 23, 2013 7:32 PM
Feb 2012
28 minutes and it made me feel so much. I absolutely loved it. I wish it was even longer, I was kind of wishing for a "Little Mermaid" moment where he gets legs or hell Shima growing a fin!!!
Feb 19, 2013 7:41 PM

Dec 2008
I didn't think it would be possible for Soubi Yamamoto to top her first OVA, but she did! In just under 30 minutes, I laughed, cried, and had quite a few "aww" moments. Beautiful story, beautiful vibrant colors, and once again, beautiful artwork.

Shima and Isaki were both VERY handsome! Now, I'm curious about just how a man would do "it" with a merman.
Feb 23, 2013 8:10 AM

Jan 2008
This was sooo cute!!! 8(>o<)8 Chibi Isaki is soo adorable!
The angst, humor and "aww" moments were perfectly combined in less than 30 minutes! Their situation and problems were shown but it didn't feel liked they rushed to the conclusion at all... and the art style is very beautiful!

Villetta_Nu said:

Now, I'm curious about just how a man would do "it" with a merman.

^ i was thinking about that too. I guess they'll probably find a way around that eventually. XD
Mar 30, 2013 5:27 PM

Aug 2010
This was really cute! :3 I loved it!
Apr 28, 2013 11:20 PM

Feb 2009
Cute and all, but how this going to work? He's half fish and all.
Aug 14, 2013 9:37 PM

Aug 2013
it was really cute.. nice plot and art :3 and i also love the seiyuu :D couldn't have ask for more
Sep 29, 2013 11:43 AM

Apr 2013
It was a lot cuter than I expected.
a little too melodramatic at times though.
Nov 22, 2013 6:34 PM

Jul 2012
Surprisingly good. A lot better than the first one in this series. Animation improved a lot. Since I rate OVAs differently from actual series, this is a definite 8/10 from me. Stunning music, animation and style. Story was pretty decent as well.
Apr 13, 2014 6:11 AM

Mar 2010
Lols this reminded me of a visual novel.. it was cute thought and the animation is nice
Apr 21, 2014 5:28 AM

Aug 2013
I love this... I loved "This Boy Can Fight Aliens" too... 9/10 :)
Apr 23, 2014 3:14 PM

Sep 2012
I guess this was more about depression and self acceptance than it was specifically about romance. Which was a pleasant surprise.

Unfortunately, it was so melodramatic and rushed, that it was borderline unintentional comedy.

Visuals were pretty cool. Yuki Kaji <3

I guess I'll give this a 6/10.
Red_KeysApr 23, 2014 3:18 PM
Jul 10, 2014 6:50 PM

Oct 2013
It was bittersweet and a lot more emotionally packed than the last one. Where the last OVA lacked in romance though, this one more than made up for it with its few comedic moments.

I suppose this one just gave me a 'feel good' type of vibe... the animation and music were a perfect fit for each other, though most wouldn't consider them the best, and the characters were easily lovable.

Some people have mentioned the issue of Isaki being a merman and all... but isn't that the point? He doesn't need to have legs or vice versa; he's loved just the way he is.
Jul 23, 2014 8:33 PM

Feb 2010
oh my goodness that was so cute
FOLLOW MY SOCIAL MEDIA IF YOU LIKE COSPLAY ADN ANIME RELATED VIDEOS!
https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyMeilin
https://www.facebook.com/Ladymeilin
Sep 29, 2014 8:50 PM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
Good story, good characters, good couple. I liked it. ^^
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." ⛩️

May 22, 2015 3:19 PM

Apr 2014
I'm freaking out over how cute and angty this is omg, my heart over heated I think haha. Absolutely love this <3
Jul 16, 2017 9:01 AM

Jun 2016
I really enjoyed it sooo much! While I was watching it, I thought Shima's voice sounds so familiar, then I just found out now that it's Yuki Kaji. :3

This shounen-ai is so heartwarming! ^_^

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jan 20, 2018 2:28 PM

Oct 2015
I loved even though short.

I love also how these short ova can have an impact, they were able compressed everything wisely. The touching scene in the water was awesome and was able to finish the ova so well, since he was merman. But I believe in the end Isaki was such a whiner, the way he suddenly disappeared on Shima that was asking for attention.

Overall it had impact especially when he couldn't overcome his loneliness because of his grandfather's death, that touched me. The romance was good also, especially that water setting kiss.

8/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Sep 17, 2018 8:47 AM

Jun 2011
A little less abstract compared to the other works, but the directing is still as good as ever.

Loved all 4 of the Kono Danshi series, Meganebu as well. Hope this lady makes more anime.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Feb 24, 2021 3:14 PM

Feb 2021
Apr 7, 2023 9:22 PM

Mar 2012
the pacing andtone was a bit all over the place, but it's a cute story. i'm getting a bit too old and too tired for school couples, though.

that said, this is beautiful. looks like a tight budget and small team, but the colouring, the style, even all the writing on the screen and the frames that looked like a webcomic made it very stylish. it's a nice fresh little thing to look at. and although i didn't think the pacing was any good, it didn't feel short for me. it's a simple story, no need to drag it out anyway.

More topics from this board

» Preview

Stark700 - Oct 5, 2012

2 by amayih »»
Nov 9, 2012 8:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.