Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 28, 2012 12:32 PM

Feb 2008
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
JoJo became Sonic ???

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Jul 12, 2013 9:33 AM

Sep 2011
The fight was good, but it is very weird the way he hold the sword with the hair.
Oct 29, 2014 4:34 AM

Jan 2008
Dio leaves? How convenient.
Feb 27, 2015 8:04 PM

Jul 2013
Mediocre or average manga series.
Jul 25, 2015 10:33 PM

Aug 2012
ZetaZaku said:
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
JoJo became Sonic ???

lol, pretty much my thoughts everytime I've seen this fight. Which is now three times, there's something wrong with me.

David Pro Adaptation spoilers
TerrestriousJul 25, 2015 10:47 PM
Apr 10, 2016 3:10 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Underwater fighting to the extreme?

4/5
May 7, 2016 5:10 AM

Aug 2014
I was pissed off at first when JoJo didn't see that "sword" attack coming, but he immediately redeemed himself with his quick thinking there.
Dec 18, 2017 8:51 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Incredible how can fight Jonathan under the water!!!
Feb 11, 2018 6:31 AM

Dec 2015
The hairs gimmick owould be okay for a zombie (and a funny joke based on the fact hairs still grow after the death). But Bruford lost me when he started rambling about how he developed the technique when he was still alive.

2/5 No DIO, no reason to read?
Rei_IIISep 21, 2022 4:21 AM
May 3, 2018 9:32 AM

Feb 2017
More cool backstory for the knights.
May 21, 2018 1:22 PM

Dec 2015
Yeah, there's no way that could ever happen.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Oct 5, 2018 9:29 PM

May 2016
Even underwater where breathing's almost impossible, Jojo used his lightning quick thinking and applied both his knowledge and the life lessons he learned from Mr. Joestar to find a way to get a deep breath and finish off Bruford with a Water Torqouise Blue Overdrive.

Dec 3, 2018 6:45 AM

Feb 2013
Will that attack be enough?
Sep 7, 2019 1:33 PM

Jun 2016
I have some questions such as why do Bruford and Tarkus look so cool and human when all the other zombies are corpse-like and gross when Bruford even said that Jonathan was their “warm up after 300 years” so they couldn’t suck any blood to rejuvenate? I have questions about if the undeadified zombies suck blood in the same way as vampires, Bruford seems to… I have questions regarding why Bruford seemed to be as strong as Dio’s first masked appearance by flicking a nose off, is it purely because of how strong he was when he was alive? Further, how is Bruford’s hair basically a third arm…? I know there's crazy things in the series like the mask, like the vampires, like the ripple energy, it is not realistic but at the same time everything in it follows some sense of rules. One could say supernatural like the mask may exist therefore the hair is plausible, but that feels weird to me. The supernatural comes from unlocking special breathing techniques or wearing a crazy ancient mask that unlocks latent human abilities. One could probably for example transfer ripple energy into their hair and use their hair as a weapon. In fact I had wondered “does Bruford understand how to use ripple energy?” when I saw how his hair worked, however I don't think it's suggested that. Plus, it can't be chopped up to crazy zombie powers because he used his hair as a living man to get through that crazy trial!! (The trial idea is super radical by the way, each win adds to your weight and makes the climb and the subsequent battles even harder.)

But there's no time to worry about all these little things because this chapter ruled!!! As I'm sure many of us suspected we saw Bruford show something other than evil. He had a sense of honor, a sense of pride. Once he saw Jonathan as a gutsy man he decided to go against Dio. He killed the extra zombie and wanted to act on his own will, he wasn’t a puppet to Dio, he is not that controllable. Later once he saw Jonathan reflexes he even put away his sword to make them have a fair match. “This is a duel between heroes” is a line that stood out to me. Then, instead of leaving himself open and swimming up to catch the one breath he needed to survive this fight, Jonathan chose to swim down!! He looked for a pocket of air so that he could use his ripple energy and took Bruford off guard. Jonathan made a good point, water is very harmful to his power as he cannot breathe, but if he can catch a breath then the whole pool of water has become his ally. My thought was that he was going to turn all of the water against Bruford by altering its ripples, however, I was definitely thinking of something far more complex. All Jonathan needed to do was use the water to transfer his energy all the way over to Bruford. This kind of problem solving is what I referred to as the creative power of this kind of technique in a prior thread.

As for a few small things I would like to mention: Tarkus has surrounded Zeppeli and Speedwagon, let’s hope Zeppeli can get his arm unfrozen with Speedwagon’s hot abs quick enough to get his own fight! Maybe him and Speedwagon could work together, that would be great. Jonathan already got his spotlight so they could use some, assuming Bruford is down but he may have some life in him.. potentially, although it looked like he split his brain in two. Dio did more cliche villain things by assuming his foes couldn’t win and leaving which gave them a chance. And, I think we should keep the other knights who passed the trial that Bruford and Tarkus did in mind. It seems weird to me that Dio would travel the world to get these five specific heroes on his side, especially since he seems to target vengeful or evil people, not simply strong people. However, what is more weird to me is to list the names of the heroes who passed that trial. Why would it not just say “they were 2 of the 5 who did”, instead it listed their names and gave a descriptor of sorts. That, to me, seems to appoint some importance, although I can concede it makes it seem more real if that was the sole intention.
Nov 24, 2019 2:14 AM
Jul 2018
This was actually pretty smart on Jonathan's part. Also that Danse Macabre hair technique of Bruford seems interesting... Araki will later reuse the idea.
Dec 14, 2020 6:11 AM

Jul 2020
That fight under the water was nice...
but all the things that happened so far are completely unique tho
Jan 28, 2021 7:37 PM

Sep 2011
Great fight underwater. Jojo good thinking saved him here.
Sep 19, 2022 9:37 AM
Oct 2011
Rei_III said:
The hairs gimmick owould be okay for a zombie (and a funny joke based on the fact hairs still grow after the death). But Blueford lost me when he started rambling about how he developed the technique when he was still alive.

2/5 No DIO, no reason to read?
Fun facts Blueford's uncensored name is Bruford. He's named after the Drummer from the band Yes.
Nov 12, 2023 5:45 AM

Apr 2020
Underwater Turquoise Blue Overdrive sounds wacky but cool at the same time

More topics from this board

» Debunking Araki Forgot by Hamon Beat

animalia - Apr 11

0 by animalia »»
Apr 11, 12:24 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1: Phantom Blood Chapter 1 Discussion

accela - Sep 1, 2009

33 by Yassinecss »»
Mar 14, 6:47 AM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1: Phantom Blood Chapter 7 Discussion

Alipio - Dec 19, 2010

20 by Mcdoclin »»
Feb 2, 10:38 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1: Phantom Blood Chapter 5 Discussion

Beatnik - Apr 23, 2009

31 by Mcdoclin »»
Feb 2, 10:35 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1: Phantom Blood Chapter 4 Discussion

Beatnik - Apr 23, 2009

26 by Mcdoclin »»
Feb 2, 10:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.