Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 19, 2012 9:08 PM

Feb 2010
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
It's over. Finally. Komai and Ruka get their happily ever ending like expected, I thought Yaji's dilemma was more interesting for a guy trying so hard to get laid.

MAL has this manga at 60 chapters, I guess we'll see another epilogue featuring the rest of the characters?
Aug 20, 2012 3:33 AM

Aug 2010
Hmm, it would be good if an epilogue would exist, but I don't think that's going to happen. I guess we will have to wait and see if that appears.

Still, yeah, it's finally over. It's been quite a ride... still, this is probably the first manga I've been following since the first chapter was translated (not to mention this is one of the first manga I've read) until the end, so I feel a tad nostalgic now xD
Even if it might not mean anything, thanks to all the translators who put their hours into this and brought it to an end!

EDIT: And I think I found out what's with the 60th chapter. I think it's the oneshot - it's been included in the chapter count.
koleareAug 21, 2012 6:03 PM
Aug 21, 2012 10:03 PM

Jul 2012
yes! they finally translated all of it im so happy theyre finally god damn together finally got past all the misunderstanding bull shit and did it! ;D
Aug 26, 2012 7:39 AM

Apr 2011
The way the first half of the series went, I was honestly expecting to give this series a 10/10. The first half was just the light-hearted romantic development between two people. But then there was drama. Lots of drama. Facepalm-worthy drama.

Despite that, I'm not completely heartless. The romance that finally happened at the end was almost worth dealing with all that melodrama. If the characters weren't as amazing as they are, my opinion of this manga would be much lower than now, but the realism, development, and consistency within the characters were amazing.

8/10, a solid score for a series that started amazingly for me, but fell flat at the halfway point.
PurpleYamAug 26, 2012 9:28 AM
Aug 30, 2012 12:20 PM
Jan 2010
Ch 1-29 = awesome!
Ch 30-49 = meh, 5-10ch with facepalm drama would have been enough..
Ch 50-59 = had a different feeling and i dident really like it : /

But i guess we should be happy that we got any ending at all.

Junko Nakano died July 28, 2012, of ischemic heart disease. RIP!
Published: Oct 19, 2007 to Apr 19, 2012
Sep 1, 2012 12:07 PM

May 2008
The drama was the best part of Hetakoi!

The proganist got tired of chasing the girl he loved... and hooked up 'seriously' with some other girl.
The drama was great! Beats the all the generic alternatives where the guy chases one girl from start to finish... and finally gets the girl.

First half, including some of the drama was the best part for me..
Sep 2, 2012 8:09 AM

Sep 2008
I really love this series. The drama was great and the romance was cute. Hetakoi get's a 10/10 from me. Loved it from start to finish.
Sep 28, 2012 4:32 AM

Sep 2011
I really enjoyed this manga 9/10... Good series
Dec 24, 2012 6:55 PM

Jan 2011
CHEEZUS, this manga... THIS MANGA!
I've picked it before 2 days or so. And I spent everyday reading like ~20 chapters a day.
My heart was aching, for fuck's sake I'm a man, why am I so moved by this?
Maybe because many of this things are relating to my real life.
The manga was just hitting the right notes every chapter.
The only thing I still wish to see is chapter 60 and see what happened with the travelling duo. Did they become a couple or no? Plot hole so far.
Still 10/10 for the manga because of the incredible emotions, character develepoment and plot twists.
Just, just... masterpiece for me.

P.S oh forgot the bro and the volleyball girl and guy ;O
bsidebgDec 24, 2012 6:59 PM
Jan 11, 2013 10:50 PM

May 2010
So what happened to the little brother and the neighborhood girl?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Mar 13, 2013 4:47 PM

Sep 2011
Not the best series out there but still a nice read. 7/10 for me.
I really wanted to see future works of this author but he passed away a couple of months after finish it.
Mar 16, 2013 1:25 AM

Nov 2009
It started out pretty good however the compilation of misunderstanding after misunderstanding for like 95% of the series just soured the experiences... I don't know, was ok but ... that is about it.

Ale1212 said:
Not the best series out there but still a nice read. 7/10 for me.
I really wanted to see future works of this author but he passed away a couple of months after finish it.

And if that's true the credit's page for the last chapter is pretty damn sad
http://www.mangahere.com/manga/hetakoi/c059/23.html
Basically says "thank you for reading and look forward to the author's next work" T.T
May 5, 2013 10:32 PM

Feb 2009
grandpa might be one of the most boner-killing nicknames ever
Jun 4, 2013 1:40 AM

Aug 2012
I was instantly hooked to this series after the 1st chapter. I thought that I was giving this a 10 but the volumes 4,5 and 6 came. It was horrible for me. Those misunderstanding - I want to slap myself!! Haha. But fortunately, it immediately redeemed itself after those terrible chapters. Good read :D
8/10
Jul 17, 2013 2:46 AM

Dec 2012
This was a great read - got me hooked all the way through. The low points of the series was pretty much the same as everyone though - could have done without the whole 'friends' bullshit and immediately introduce the scene towards the end that eventually led them to end up together. 'Grandpa' started out strong but got pretty weak especially in the middle of the manga towards the end. Thought he had the balls but he seemed to lose some of his character after going out with Shimazu.

Yuu and Kotone's relationship came in way too late at a point where I'm just reading for the sake of wanting to see Shizuka and Ruka together, and it made the chapters even longer.

Overall - 8/10
Oct 17, 2013 10:22 PM

Aug 2008
That was a great manga! Despite 2 to 4 make me mad chapters and the 2 frustrating volumes(5 & 6) everything turned out great. RIP NAKANO Junko, thx for your last good work. And me know this mangaka can't really blame Grandpa for the misunderstanding the situation that happened in the manga because I know this Mangaka likes doing that, and in the past in a worse much more rage inducting ways.

Besides that the chapter was great again; the good points for me were:

The final chapter was really hot!, Ruka for her hottest summer she deserved.
That was funny when Ruka commented, Why do you have condoms when you were adamant about not having sex till he can provide for her.
Grandpa finally became the man he was again! Sweet! & The cheery on top was Ruka revealing she was still a virgin, letting go all of his former worries.
Grandpa was a Grandpa to the end! and a good one at that!
I knew it! Saki liked Yaji from that one trip they went to before! I was right before!, She seems like a Female Grandpa but glad Yaji and Saki are a seal deal!
Other confirmed couple were Nachi and boyfriend! lol
And Yuu and Kotono, I just know they will end up together with the time they spend together.

Anyway

Great Read! Loved the Twins!
Nov 18, 2013 1:07 PM

Oct 2013
This one is my favorite romance-manga. Too pity it is over with 59 chapters.
There were times where I thought just how silly can you be, Grandpa and Ruka. Are finally honest and talk with each other.
Then it woudn't have any problems given...in the beginning.

Grandpa was also far too kind. He should have kicked Rukas Senpai in the ass and not fed him all the time. The whole drama thing was nerve-wracking and stupid at the same time, but never mind.
Ruka showed very often how much she cares for Komai and this was worth all strains.
The end corresponded precisely to my images. It was completely satisfyingly.
Jet_Nice_GuyNov 18, 2013 1:11 PM
Jul 20, 2014 3:49 PM

Jan 2014
I am really enjoy this manga, but it also disappointing to me because they only show the good part last 4 chapter (when they're together). I mean, I think that it would be great if only Komai and Ruka get together in the middle of the series.
Jul 30, 2014 10:14 PM

Feb 2012
This is an absolute piece of shit.

A banal female lead, immutable male protagonist, heavily misogynistic elements, convenient plot progressions... this is withal without the mention that the majority of the latter drama was driven by a contrived, unrealistically depicted, poorly paced, dragged-out, cliched, and uninspired misunderstanding situation.

And all the side characters were fleshed out sorta okay too: though it all felt so half-baked and arbitrary considering their motives were so conveniently hot one moment and cold another. I'll go travel around the world, feed my animalistic side to penetrating women, and reach my dreams!... or not, I'll sink my teeth back into a woman who clearly doesn't want me, oh and I'll rape her too, oh but I won't because she's so innocent...

The main dude's best friend girlfriend sexfriend... thing also got her arc dragged out so much that her developments and subtle flaws of moving on too fast, of starting another relationship for the wrong reasons, it all just felt so fixated on making the whole thing perpetuate to the point of redundancy and disgust. If you had a one-night stand reunion thing with your ex best friend...ok, worst mistake ever, move on.

The main characters aren't even human. Wait six month to have sex my ass, go fuck yourself mangaka spitting on my patience even more.

The main chick had a -nice- character design. But I feel so bad even saying that thanks to the terrible abuses she has to suffer on every level possible.

Hetakoi: an absolute master piece of shit.
Aug 14, 2014 1:45 PM

Jul 2010
Abyhape said:
I am really enjoy this manga, but it also disappointing to me because they only show the good part last 4 chapter (when they're together). I mean, I think that it would be great if only Komai and Ruka get together in the middle of the series.

Same here, it was just starting to get good now. But it's ok, I enjoyed it.
Aug 14, 2014 1:53 PM

Nov 2012
i read this long time ago, i forgot most of the content but i know one thing , i want to fvking kill that hobo, trying to ntr granpa.
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Nov 27, 2014 12:52 PM

Apr 2011
Yeah, the fucking hobo was annoying as fuck, but besides the middle of the manga I loved everything else! :D
Apr 21, 2015 7:50 PM
Apr 2015
I do think that a manga like this was worth reading. I think they would become a great couple.
Grampa/Granda was a piece of sh*t at the middle of the story. I guess the characters do logical decisions which make the series good. The s*x scene at the last part wraps this manga very well. Tho I have to admit that I want more extra chapter with timeskip to show the progression of other characters as well.
May 3, 2015 2:44 PM

Sep 2014
I really love the concept of karma , (atleast in manga cuz we all know real life is different..) , so I would have liked to see the douchebag hobo guy get his share of it for all the shit he caused (the more suffering the better), a bit to much drama if you ask me , and the part where she almost slept with above mentioned douchebag really bothered me for some reason..
7/10.
Jun 1, 2015 2:42 AM

Dec 2014
Nice. :)

Ruka x Gramps

Yaji and "Angel". XD
Feb 29, 2016 1:46 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
The first half was one of the most entertaining ecchi comedies I'd read. Then it just got dramatic and repetitive. At least the ending was right.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 10, 2016 4:43 AM
Dec 2015
amazing ending! i got worried around the 34th chapter since she was close to having sex with her old crush! but im glad grampa got to take her virginity! but would have been good if he did it earlier and we got more sex scenes haha. Very entertaining manga! Also wish they both werent so dum when they wanted to be more than friends but wouldnt do anything about it!! but still was good
Jun 28, 2016 4:08 AM

Nov 2014
I really wanted some epilogue for Kotono :/

While ending was good and I can't really say anything bad about it, I somehow liked middle part more. I usually don't like drama, but in this case it felt realistic.
Jul 4, 2016 2:48 AM
Jun 2016
I LOVE IT!
I love the Grampa and Ruka relationship in the beginning, especially the winter job part where he kissed her instead :3
Feeling depressed in chapter 26-40 though, but you can take the moral of the story from them.
And luckily the manga is charming again after chapter 41, volume 10 is the best.
I love the ending, so statified :-)
I want something like this to happened to me in my 20th birthday :D

10/10. The best manga I have ever read!
Kodima05Jul 4, 2016 8:16 AM
Aug 6, 2016 10:52 AM
Jan 2015
Farabeuf said:
The first half was one of the most entertaining ecchi comedies I'd read. Then it just got dramatic and repetitive. At least the ending was right.

+1
Chapters 27-41 were a pain in the ass...

Really enjoyed the beginning
Hated the middle
Liked the end

6,5/10
Aug 19, 2016 3:40 AM

Jul 2012
That was actually a pretty decent series overall. Wow, I'm impressed. I thought this would be a 6/10 at best but I ended up giving it a 7.

Its rare to have a seinen romcom series with a good male protagonist. He's extremely traditional but that's actually my type. I was a bit disappointed he and Shimizu (sp?) got together halfway and did the do many times when he could have saved it for Ruka.

Ruka was also very likeable and cute. She feels realistic for a female written by a male mangaka. Anyway, yeah this series was really fun and easy going which was good.
Sep 3, 2016 10:21 AM

Jun 2014
^the author Nakano Junko is female actually

The second manga of her that I've read, she significantly improved her art.
Still im not sure how should I rate this 6 or 7. Enjoyable, gave me some boner, but the misunderstanding kinda dragged for too long. Grampa gave up quickly without even properly takling to Ruka. He always jump to conclusions and self destructed. He pissed me off just s little bit.
Ruka's actions were understandable imo. I mean I wouldn't blame her if she ended up having sex with Tsuchi. But still Im glad she saved her virginity. and oh the twins were adorable.

7/10(for now?)
Mar 3, 2017 6:09 PM

Oct 2016
I think the ending was bad tbh. It was a great manga but tht ending was just bad.

It made the ending sound like the whole goal was to have sex with her... It was distasteful and didn't sit east with me. If they just kissed instead and ended it right there it would have been much better.
Sep 4, 2017 2:26 AM

Dec 2008
Kozooo said:
The drama was the best part of Hetakoi!

The proganist got tired of chasing the girl he loved... and hooked up 'seriously' with some other girl.
The drama was great! Beats the all the generic alternatives where the guy chases one girl from start to finish... and finally gets the girl.

First half, including some of the drama was the best part for me..

But actually this happens in most romance manga series... doesn't it? At least the ones by K2R.
^_~
Jan 5, 2018 6:51 AM

Feb 2012
It was a good read. I liked the first and last part of the manga. Middle part was frustrating to read... So many misunderstandings, leading to mistakes and regrets (making me at some point hate the male lead). Overall, one of the best drama romance I've read.

Would like to know what happened to yuu-kun and the childhood friend... And grandpa's ex and the hobo guy.
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
Oct 9, 2018 10:21 PM

Oct 2013
The confession part at the last few chapters were dragged on and the middle part of the manga is extremely rough to go through plot-wise, but I think this was definitely a good read.

I really like both the MCs and its satisfying to see that despite of all the hardships and misunderstandings that they went through, they still ended up with each other.

And I was actually hoping to see more of their daily lives as a couple but I guess its fine the way it is.

Nov 5, 2018 11:07 AM
Sep 2018
7/10

Because her ex-boyfriend
Jun 21, 2020 2:45 AM

Apr 2016
One of the best romance manga ever
Final score 9/10

Jul 16, 2020 3:34 AM

Apr 2016
It’s a very good series, I sure enjoyed it a lot.
Komai was a great main character, probably one of the best of the romance series I’ve seen/read. Ruka was a fine character but I did not like her that much overall.
I do believe that there could have been a conclusion to Kotono and Yuu’s relationship, as it is now it’s left to the reader.
Jun 1, 2021 3:14 AM
Feb 2020
I really love this manga,,, one of the best romance-drama (love triangle), I'm just a little bit dissapointed because the story ended with them being together(couple) with only 4 chapters?, It would ve better if it ended atleast at 70 chapters, with them marrying each other and have a kid, but still I really love this, I really want to see more story like this, too bad the author was dead :(

Volume 1-3 --- 10/10
Volume 4-6 --- 5/10
Volume 7-8 --- 7/10
Volume 9-10 --- 10/10

If you love this manga, I recommend Fuufu Ijou Koibito Miman, it also have the same feels drama love triangle
Nov 15, 2021 2:12 AM

Jan 2017
It's odd to me that so many people wanted to see more about Yuu/Kotono and Tsuchiya/Shimazu, it's laid pretty bare that there was nothing there for either of those lol.

Yuu only made that promise about taking Kotono at 30 because he didn't like seeing his childhood friend crying. He very understandably has no desire to be in a relationship with a girl that he's literally been with since she was a newborn.

Tsuchiya and Shimazu didn't even travel together, that was a feint. Shimazu wasn't at all into that type of guy and had no trouble brushing him off.

Neither pairing is impossible or entirely unrealistic, but they'd feel forced for the sake of creating more couples in the context of this series.

All that said, this was a fun read. Nothing unique or exemplary in my opinion, but fun. Probably a 6.5-7 for me if I had to score it. Both leads' indecisiveness and some of Shizuka's personality traits made them annoying though.
Mendokusai

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hetakoi Chapter 7 Discussion

Sucrose - Oct 22, 2010

9 by BipulGamer07 »»
Nov 15, 2023 2:04 AM

Poll: » Hetakoi Chapter 17 Discussion

Sucrose - Nov 28, 2010

6 by Shibo-shonen »»
Jun 1, 2021 3:42 AM

Poll: » Hetakoi Chapter 55 Discussion

Pirating_Ninja - Mar 16, 2013

3 by Shibo-shonen »»
Jun 1, 2021 3:35 AM

Poll: » Your Favorite Character?

Kodima05 - Jul 9, 2016

2 by Shibo-shonen »»
Jun 1, 2021 3:30 AM

» Hetakoi Chapter 29.5 Discussion

Chimasternmay - Oct 14, 2013

1 by -Mochi- »»
Dec 31, 2020 9:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.