Forum Settings
Forums

How do you know how to work out? (Bodybuilding)

New
Jul 3, 2012 9:38 PM

Dec 2009
I have little knowledge of bodybuilding.

But I've never really understood it... Because, I don't know how or where to start.
I know that first you need to know your body-type; (Ectomorph, Mesomorph or Endomorph).
So you could know what your body needs to eat and how. As well as the excercices that compliment your body to work effectively on building muscle/mass.
But the thing is I don't know how to know that.
I did a test on a site, but there were some questions that I didn't understood so I couldn't fill them...

I also know that you need to judge your strength (know your strength). So you know how much pounds you could lift and how many times. With a certain sets of reps into your exercices.

Plus, how do you know what exercices your body-type needs and for YOU? (w/ your strength, metabolism, genes, etc.

In short, my questions is... "How did you know how to work out? Like knowing your body weight, strength and what exercices to do? How does anyone know that?"
Its because I don't understand how or where your supposed to start...

IS THE ONLY SOLUTION, A PERSONAL TRAINER!?

------------------------------------------------------

Should I tell my physical traits, so you could help me more?
Because I want bigger arms and all that, etc.

If its usefull... (Because knowing age and such helps somehow, forgot why)

I'm 17yo
5 foot 9 inches tall
167lbs
My arms are 12inches in size (my arms are kinda small compared to my torso)
down the legs, 8 inches. (I have chicken legs)

For motivation- sadly, I quit easily because I never learned to always continue or never give up when I was small. Because I always want to be at the top when I'm starting on the first bottom. I give myself too many high expectations. And I don't give myself a chance.

But even so, I still wish to know! So that when the day comes that I get my ass up and start working out seriously, That I will work out the right way!
PS. I've read a couple of info on sites about bodybuilding, and watch some videos.
_ But it doesn't really learn me anything. Because I need to know step-by-step. Plus, it doesn't help when theres nothing for "complete beginners" on how to work-out. Including on knowing the whole bodybuilding dictionary.
waalex11Jul 3, 2012 9:46 PM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 3, 2012 9:48 PM
Dec 2009
I'm thinking about starting this summer, considering I have a big fear of heart attack.
Should stop my smoking and drinking coke addiction. :)

This guy is helping me with tips:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi4uyeGAETk&feature=g-u-u

Ask this guy, he'll answer pretty quickly.

As for myself, Im a shy person and dislike Gyms. But i think it's time for me to change. :)
Jul 3, 2012 9:49 PM

Apr 2008
Lift heavy things. Keep lifting heavy things until you can lift heavier things and then lift those.

Maybe read this.
Jul 3, 2012 10:34 PM

Dec 2010
Trainers are a good place to start, but they aren't the solution. The solution quite simply, is yourself.

Everything becomes much easier once you are actually at the gym. The hardest part is getting off your ass and going there. Follow a simple rotation: chest/triceps one day, biceps/back/shoulders the next, legs/core another. You'll know how much weight you can handle through simple tests on certain machines, or if you want to start with free weights then it's even easier. Just remember that high weight/low rep is for building muscle, and low weight/high rep is for calorie burn and increased stamina. A schedule like this 4 or 5 times a week is enough to at least get you in great physical shape and build muscle, and it can never hurt to incorporate a 3+ mile run in there 2-3 times a week. Start with one or two miles if that seems like too much.

Judging from what you listed, you are a long long ways away from actually worrying about "body building", so you should probably start with the basics first.
Jul 3, 2012 10:46 PM

Apr 2012
I've heard very bad things about personal trainers, not too mention being a money sink, I've heard from body builders that a lot of personal trainers don't know what they're really doing.

Everyone's body works different so you need to learn what works for you, not what the personal trainer will tell you to do.

Just use the internet, there's so much help for bodybuilding there now. Hodgetwins youtube channel was where i started.
Jul 3, 2012 11:23 PM

Dec 2009
Don't forget the cardio
Motivation: chart you progress & body weight

There are many channels on youtube, here's one of them, you can start with the beginner series. He also got a meal series, and many others teaching you how to train different parts of the body.
http://www.youtube.com/user/scooby1961/videos?view=1
bottleJul 3, 2012 11:35 PM
Jul 3, 2012 11:25 PM

Apr 2012
Seconding getting a personal trainer, although they can be expensive, same as good gym membership
Jul 3, 2012 11:37 PM

Feb 2009
Before you start a weight lifting program, start a regular exercise program. There are so many different exercises out there that can help you build your body up without additional weights. It will also help your body get ready for when you do start lifting weights. The first time you REALLY lift weights, your muscles tear and you will be sore for a few days, if you haven't gotten into the mindset of working out it can be enough to make you quit.

A couple of things you can do to help you:

Find a workout buddy, it's too easy to give up if there is no one there to push you.

Play sports like soccer, basketball, swimming, frisbee, football, whatever. If it's fun, you'll stick with it longer.

Make absolutely sure you're using the right form when exercising. Bad form won't give you the right results, and could lead to injury.

Oh, and if you take up jogging, go where the cute girls/guys (your preference) are. You'll be more apt to come back and jog again if you have some nice scenery to look forward to...
Is there another word for synonym?
Jul 3, 2012 11:39 PM

Jun 2012
The main thing you need is the dedication to work out and the motivation to not stop until you reach your goal. Personal trainers do help but aren't necessary. All you really need is a gym membership, which usually doesn't cost much. If you have never gone to a gym and don't know how to use the equipment, you can either ask people around you or look it up in the net. From personal experience, working out isn't the hard part, its having the dedication to get out of bed and go run/go to the gym several times a week.
Jul 3, 2012 11:45 PM

Apr 2012
Personal trainers and clubs are obsolete. All you need is a book called "You are your own gym".
Jul 3, 2012 11:50 PM
Nov 2011
Meh, I guess the trainer will help you designate a special schedule for you including the exercises you should do and not do, based on the 'results' you want to achieve (if you want to be thin, if you want to just body-build, or if you want both). At first, listen to the man. Later on, do your own thing. Follow the designed schedule, but, not the precise time-period and intensity they are set out for you.

I encourage you start out by warmup, of course.
Jul 4, 2012 12:43 AM

Jan 2012
It really depends on what you want to achieve, is it to get a beach body, or is it to get bigger (as in more muscular)? Because the exercises and the so called "diet" you will have to follow will be different.
Jul 4, 2012 12:52 AM

Mar 2011
If you want to add lean muscle, you'll need to have the willpower to micromanage your diet. It isn't as simple as eating high protein foods and working out. Go to a trainer for specifics, ask about what regimes you can do. Find out what body type you have (Endomoorph, esomoorph, et cetera) and exploit your beginner advantage.

People starting out have the easiest time growing muscle, this is a fact. As your body grows accustomed to weight lifting you'll need to continually push upwards. In a sense, there is never a comfort zone. Which is why before you start out I recommend going out of your way to see your physician and a qualified trainer.

You're also tall, that gives you an advantage of more muscle fiber. The best way to start making quick progress is working large muscles in your body. Since you'll be new to this, their growth is the most important to you. Shoulders, hamstrings, so on so forth.

Don't invest into a personal trainer. Buy yourself a medicine ball, adjustable dumbbells, an adjustable barbell and a set of kettlebells and you are set for awhile. If cardio is also something you're after, you should also invest into a good pair of track shoes. You'll need them. It might sound expensive now, but you'll be fine.

I'm not 100% sure of this, but I think there are also diets geared towards certain kind of metabolisms. If you're serious, you'll want to look it up or ask the physician/trainer.

Also, you're much better off doing basic training for now. Like pushups, dumb/barbell curls, and Farmer walks. Stuff like deadlifts and skull crushers are out of your reach until you start having a tangible amount of strength.

Hey? Good luck. I don't know you, but I'm proud of you. Asking and being interested in this is the first step to bettering yourself.

QysteiN said:
I'm thinking about starting this summer, considering I have a big fear of heart attack.

My condolences.
Jul 4, 2012 1:00 AM
Jul 2018
Was taught by upperclassman and coaches when i played sports during HS.
Jul 4, 2012 1:57 AM

Dec 2011
I bodybuild and found what works best through time and experimenting. Learn gradually searching up different methods on the web that would suit your likings. Its always good to keep an open mind about the different training and nutritional rountines and use what you know to adapt to what you feel suits you.

Btw im also 17 too and im on my second year of working out so i could share some stuff ive done if you like.
YOUTUBE: BodyTransmorph
Instagram @muscularity
Jul 4, 2012 2:53 AM
May 2009
To body build requires you to perform certain types of exercises. On areas you wish to build or tone.

You tone by using lighter weights.
And you build by using heavier weights and eating alot of protein, as this step ususally involves you damaging your muscles, which then rebuild with the protein you consume.

Personally I would get into physical shape, and then begin to try to build on areas you desire, most start with the arms before moving to the chest and abs.
Jul 4, 2012 4:04 AM
Jul 2018
The couch is my personal trainer
Jul 4, 2012 4:19 AM

Jun 2008
I'll be honest with you dude. Little bodybuilding isn't that bad but completely dedicated exercise to bodybuilding isn't good for your body. Actually i consider it unhealthy.
Don't try to just lift heavier and heaver weights while chewing tons of protein every day so you can become a muscle freak.
If you want to build a healthy body focus more on toning your body. You can still increase weight lifting a little to built some muscle but don't make it the ultimate goal.

Make a program that you can do some running, lots of apps and choose to strength yours arms with push ups and lifts. Then add some weight lifting to that for a little more toning and muscle expansion but don't make it just about weight lifting without running and cardio exercises because you will become just a big pile of muscles that gets tired after using them for 1 minute and still be unable to lift the weight of his own body.

SergioSource said:
The couch is my personal trainer

Yes it makes your body bigger even more easily that trying to work so hard to make your muscles bigger. ^_^
Jul 4, 2012 4:23 AM
Jul 2012
In case you are underweight or trying to gain weight, then you need to do weight training for building muscles and gain weight faster.
And if you are overweight or trying to lose weight, then you need to start doing Cardiovascular exercises which is regarded as the best exercise for individuals with lots of weight.

Diet plays an important role in keeping yourself fit and healthy apart from doing exercises.
Jul 4, 2012 7:40 AM

Mar 2012
In my experience, people spend way too much time worrying about how to exercise, and not enough time just trying it out. Go to the gym, follow the instructions on a bunch of simple machines, feel and begin to understand how your muscles work, what your limits are, where they become sore, etc. and you'll start to get a better feel for how to do the exercises properly. Then, once you have some minimal base, you can ask a buddy to make sure you are doing things right, or to show you new/better exercises, or whatever comes next.

Don't worry about your specific body statistics or exactly what to eat (just don't eat shit) or anything else for now, it's not important. Just go to the gym and do something. I also advise mixing in cardiovascular exercises. Unless you have a desire to become a complete muscle head, there is no point in solely lifting weights, and cardio is really what's good for you.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jul 4, 2012 10:57 AM

Dec 2009
Thank you so much everyone! I really appreciate it! >///<

Transcend said:

Hey? Good luck. I don't know you, but I'm proud of you. Asking and being interested in this is the first step to bettering yourself.

Thanks! ^-^

santa123ryan said:

Btw im also 17 too and im on my second year of working out so i could share some stuff ive done if you like.

Please do. x3

shintai88 said:

Personally I would get into physical shape, and then begin to try to build on areas you desire, most start with the arms before moving to the chest and abs.

I'll take that on note

@Post-Josh
Thanks, because I actually do always worry about how to exercise xD
Jul 4, 2012 12:28 PM

Dec 2009
Btw, I've actually trained a little before.

I started working out somewhere before Febuary 2011. Though I worked out all over the place. Like for 2 days, I lifted weights and did crunches. And then stopped for 1 or 2 weeks.
I then started doing pushups at a time. Which still today, even though I completed stopped somewhere- forgot when...

Anyways, from all that fucked up training. My muscles are used to curls and pushups. They don't burn or VERY sore like the first ever times I worked out. I kinda have the tiny start of biceps, they're pretty hard actually. My pecs have the starting corner, so its not flopping titties. And I have a little start curve of bicep.

Oh! I stopped working out somewhere in January. But then did pushups somewhere after. But then stopped completely somewhere else.

--------------------------------

I've always wanted to get bigger arms since my arms are smaller than my body, and don't fit in size when I look at myself from a side view. And I also want bigger legs too, because I have chicken legs.
But when I think more, I actually just want to be bigger, but equal. I want my body parts to be equal. because my body is big, smaller arms, and chiken legs.

I want my physique to look something like this. Starting 2:45. 'Don't like his back though, the way its shaped. Or like this, same thing.
waalex11Jul 4, 2012 12:34 PM
Jul 4, 2012 12:43 PM

Jan 2012
Those people usually bulk up during the winter; which means they will go for heavy weights, with a low amount of reps. They will do so until they reach a certain amount of muscle mass, then they will start follwing a special diet and cut down to get that shape.
Jul 4, 2012 1:11 PM

Dec 2011
Just go to some random bodybuilding forum and ask there, people will give you an answer of destiny.
Jul 4, 2012 1:22 PM

Jan 2011
It requires a lot of studying, go to forums and ask for different opinions, read about metabolism, my advice is to just go to a gym and ask for their program what you do in the beginning doesn't really matter as long as you aren't hurting yourself. Same for eating, just eat more if you're slim and keep eating if you've already got some weight on you, you'll eventually have to adjust what you eat with how much you work out.
Jul 4, 2012 1:23 PM

Mar 2011
Lol @ Bodybuilding
Jul 4, 2012 1:24 PM

Jun 2008
As a fairly long time gymmer I can tell you that diet is the key. No matter how much you work out, if you eat to little and too wrong you won't get results. Your diet is at LEAST 75% of your training.

With that in mind:
Visit the gym 3-4 times a week and follow a strict training program. You'll never get results if you don't and since you have a very high goal you have to keep it up for a few years at least.

Do something like:
Day 1: Back and biceps. These excersices uses many of the same muscles so do them on the same day.
Day 2: Chest / Triceps. Same here, same muscles.
Day 3: Legs / shoulders / stomach.
Day 4: Run / Bicycle / stamina training.
Repeat schedule.

For each muscle group I suggest doing around 3-5 excersices. More for your back as there are more muscle-groups there.

It's VERY important NEVER to train the same muscles 2 days in a row. You'll injure the muscles causing you to lose large amounts of strength and volume.

For big bulky muscles you want to lift heavy weights few times. For example 4x8 sets.
For slender and more enduring muscles you'll want to do the opposite. Lighters weights more times. Like 4x15 sets.
A combination of both is recommended where you train 2 weeks heavy and 1 week light.

If you're unsure of how to do your excersises invest in a one time training session with a personal trainer and ask him to show you how to do a few excersises on each musclegroup.
If you can't afford that I suggest you look it up on the internet. There are quite a few good sites that show you how to do your excersises correctly. But beware because there are even more sites that just give out useless tips and show you the wrong way to do it, which will just hurt you. Common sense helps.

About knowing your strength is all about testing. If you can't get through 4 repetition you're lifting too much. You want it so that you can just finish the 4 sets.

As a last piece of advice. Only training your arms is useless most of the time. Combining arms with upper body will give both better resulsts and more even muscles. But if you're really desperate for bigger arms, as opposed to what most people think, train your triceps. They make up ~66-70% of your arms and will give you far better shaped arms than those who only train their biceps.

Good luck.
Jul 4, 2012 1:27 PM

Dec 2011
I assume you wanna beef yourself up. Get a gym membership because bodyweight training will hardly help in building muscle mass, you'll go down the route to toning your body and look a bit more defined.
You gotta choose what muscles you want to train and there are plenty of machines in gyms which are specifically designed to test certain muscles. For mass building you should really be buying protein drinks and eating around 2600-3000 calories a day, although if you don't commit you'll pack on the chubby pounds :L
Get on a machine and choose the weight you find most challenging and do as many reps as you can and repeat the sets although I advise a spotter when using the bench because that final rep doesn't always go up :p And obviously rest is more important than your actual training, don't overdo it or you wont give your muscles the chance to repair and replenish making your hard work pointless.
The bench will build your chest and biceps although there are more specific machines.
Lat pull machines will help build your biceps while also your upper back and shoulders. Generally your whole upper body.
Dips are a good method to build your triceps to fill out your arms.
The Leg press is a good method to build your quads and hamstrings for your legs.
And you "will" be hurting after a good session, give it two to three days and you should feel alright again ;)
This is just simplified info though, I recommend you research.
Hope I helped.
-----------------------------
Jul 4, 2012 1:32 PM

Apr 2012
If you work out on a regular bases then eventually you'll get stronger.If you want a body bilders body then I can't help you.I don't really work out.
Jul 4, 2012 1:40 PM

Dec 2011
EvilRobot said:
As a fairly long time gymmer I can tell you that diet is the key. No matter how much you work out, if you eat to little and too wrong you won't get results. Your diet is at LEAST 75% of your training.

With that in mind:
Visit the gym 3-4 times a week and follow a strict training program. You'll never get results if you don't and since you have a very high goal you have to keep it up for a few years at least.

Do something like:
Day 1: Back and biceps. These excersices uses many of the same muscles so do them on the same day.
Day 2: Chest / Triceps. Same here, same muscles.
Day 3: Legs / shoulders / stomach.
Day 4: Run / Bicycle / stamina training.
Repeat schedule.

For each muscle group I suggest doing around 3-5 excersices. More for your back as there are more muscle-groups there.

It's VERY important NEVER to train the same muscles 2 days in a row. You'll injure the muscles causing you to lose large amounts of strength and volume.

For big bulky muscles you want to lift heavy weights few times. For example 4x8 sets.
For slender and more enduring muscles you'll want to do the opposite. Lighters weights more times. Like 4x15 sets.
A combination of both is recommended where you train 2 weeks heavy and 1 week light.

If you're unsure of how to do your excersises invest in a one time training session with a personal trainer and ask him to show you how to do a few excersises on each musclegroup.
If you can't afford that I suggest you look it up on the internet. There are quite a few good sites that show you how to do your excersises correctly. But beware because there are even more sites that just give out useless tips and show you the wrong way to do it, which will just hurt you. Common sense helps.

About knowing your strength is all about testing. If you can't get through 4 repetition you're lifting too much. You want it so that you can just finish the 4 sets.

As a last piece of advice. Only training your arms is useless most of the time. Combining arms with upper body will give both better resulsts and more even muscles. But if you're really desperate for bigger arms, as opposed to what most people think, train your triceps. They make up ~66-70% of your arms and will give you far better shaped arms than those who only train their biceps.

Good luck.
Newbies should train every muscle group while at the gym. Only people who have been going to gym for a while should divide muscle groups for each day.
Jul 4, 2012 2:13 PM

Dec 2009
Thanks, oh~ I'm getting excited to start researching!~ ><
But... I what about injuries, I don't get how you can get injured.
"Or else you'll snap your shit up" -HodgeTwins
XD

Man, they're hilarious!

So wait, since I'm a newb. I shouldn't do 3 day splits? And do everyday but not the same muscle group 2 days in a row?

Oh! And I remember that sleep is very important as well. Only problem, since its the summer I keep sleeping around 2-7am. Though now since I have Adult-Ed for 1 month, I sleep at 12. Too addicted to the computer...
At what hour and how many hours should I sleep for my muscle to rebuild?
Jul 4, 2012 2:25 PM

Mar 2012
waalex11 said:
I want my physique to look something like this. Starting 2:45. 'Don't like his back though, the way its shaped. Or like this, same thing.

So basically, you want to be fuckin' jacked and ripped. I'm not saying I know what you want, but are you sure you want to get that big? The ripped part I can understand.

Alfyan said:
Lol @ Bodybuilding

Sebulon said:
Newbies should train every muscle group while at the gym. Only people who have been going to gym for a while should divide muscle groups for each day.

These, and I would add even experienced athletes may choose to train every muscle group in one day, it's not just for beginners.

EvilRobot said:

With that in mind:

I agree that diet is important (in all walks of life), but I wouldn't stress it as much for beginners. I would say just make sure you're eating relatively healthy and touching on all the food groups. Some beginners may think eating whole chickens for breakfast and chugging milk is going to make them jacked, it isn't, nor is it healthy.

As for your second point, I completely disagree. Strict training programs are (for me) so boring, and completely suck the fun out of working out. It is very possibly to get good results mixing things up all the time, as long as everything you incorporate are decent exercises.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jul 4, 2012 3:06 PM

Dec 2009
Post-Josh said:
waalex11 said:

So basically, you want to be fuckin' jacked and ripped. I'm not saying I know what you want, but are you sure you want to get that big? The ripped part I can understand.

Yeah, basically. I want to be that big x3
Jul 4, 2012 4:31 PM

Dec 2009
Have you tried the beginner series I posted earlier?
His info is largely correct.

In this video, It has told you the cheap way & the overview of a Beginner's schedule,
including a mix of cardio & exercise; mins/day & days in a week
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx9ahNFVulA

Start doing and adjust it with your own as you progress, may be after weeks.

I'm not pro in the field but I think charting the progress can reflect how good or bad your dedication is. It reflects your improvements too, like more reps per day or shorter breaks.

And in this video, he tells you more about the bulk that you want
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7dlrupsBWw

That said, focus on the correct forms first, numbers later.
bottleJul 4, 2012 4:36 PM
Jul 4, 2012 4:45 PM

Dec 2009
thank you so much!~ x3
Jul 5, 2012 3:57 AM

Jun 2012
No Pecs, No Sex
No Curls, No Girls
No Tris, No Wives
No Shrugs, No Hugs
No Press, No Breasts
No Pack, No Slack
Jul 5, 2012 2:36 PM

Apr 2007
I started to work out again this summer. What I've learned from past attempts is to not make any excuses to be away from the gym. It's so easy to stop going once you come up with reasons not to go.
Jul 6, 2012 4:30 AM
Jun 2012
I did this as was forced to because of football. It's really crap!
Far better to just use your own body weight for resistance with exercises like push ups and sit ups and chin ups.
Even better to move to a beach area and just go surfing /_\

If you must then get a book. There are literally tonnes of them. One I recall that was perfect was by Rocco Opedisiaro (spell check). It was easy to remember the routines, it worked and it cost $1. He did one on diet for body building too. Same big fat price!
One thing to know is if you build up muscle now, that is where you get fatty when you stop. The flabby six-pack :-D
"Knowing where you are from and how you got there is the way to a strong spirit"
Jul 7, 2012 6:52 AM

Jul 2012
I guess I'm lucky enough to have a friend who wants to be a muscle head. I tend to just follow what he's doing, though I'll throw in a run after lifting just because running is awesome.

What I'm currently doing is dividing the days of the week into arm days, chest days, back days, etc. I've been trying to do at least four major exercises per muscle group, going heavy weight with 4 sets of 6-8 reps. If you have to drop some weight, you have to drop some weight. Just keep trying to push yourself each time you work out.

ex: a chest day would be
Flat dbell bench 4x6-8
Incline dbell bench 4x6-8
Dips 4x6-8
Cable flys 4x6

If you're trying to gain muscle, eat more, but obviously only if you actually stick to an exercise regime. Protein is important for muscle growth, and carbs are pretty important for energy. Make sure you rest so the muscle can rebuild itself. That doesn't mean don't go to the gym, though. Just work out a different muscle group.

Best thing you could do is get a friend to lift with. They can spot you, and help you keep good form (a must), as well as assist if you're struggling. There's just a competitive side that tends to come out when lifting with friends, that makes you work that much harder.
Jul 7, 2012 9:17 AM

Jun 2010
Jul 8, 2012 5:21 AM

Oct 2010
You watch a lot of anime. Why not just train with dumb bells while watching? That way at least the arms would be taken care of lol.
Jul 8, 2012 6:29 AM

Jan 2012
Savino said:
You watch a lot of anime. Why not just train with dumb bells while watching? That way at least the arms would be taken care of lol.

that never works ;) .

@waalex11 Btw, all the best man !! oh and you don't have to specifically start with arms....... You should work every part of your body, there's no order for it. Don't be a curl monkey . Legs are important too !!!
Kappa-ingJul 8, 2012 6:36 AM
Actually glad that nepal is facing disaster
Jul 8, 2012 8:00 AM

May 2012
Savino said:
Otaku's guide to working out and not being a loser:

1) 5 push-ups, 5 sit-ups, and 5 squats after every episode.

2) After every fourth episode, perform 5 extra reps per exercise, including pull-ups if possible.

3) After every season, run a half mile around your neighborhood, and complete the first step after running, if possible. (Put a hat on so no one will see you failing. A mask would work better.)

4) After every MAL post in between, shadow box for at least 30 seconds in front of a mirror, complete with well-executed punches and kicks. (This will also make you feel like a badass while posting on MAL.)

*When the above exercises become to easy, add 5 reps to each exercise until you feel the effort again.
Jul 8, 2012 9:03 AM

May 2009
Plate said:
Lift heavy things. Keep lifting heavy things until you can lift heavier things and then lift those.

Add in the protein, or nasty tasting whey protein shakes, and you have the complete equation right there. Cardio should also be done as warm up, not as an exercise focus or your bulk will go bye-bye.
Jul 8, 2012 11:50 AM

Jun 2010
Glitterati said:
Plate said:

Add in the protein, or nasty tasting whey protein shakes, and you have the complete equation right there. Cardio should also be done as warm up, not as an exercise focus or your bulk will go bye-bye.

Protein shakes can taste good, if you know how to prepare 'em. Vanilla protein + soy milk + banana = delightfully delicious drink. Also, cardio doesn't exactly harm your bulk, as long as you maintain a proper diet and don't go past your limits; cardio only burns fat, not muscle.
Jul 8, 2012 11:55 AM

Dec 2009
I won't recommend doing bells while watching anime, it needs attention to keep forms and prevent injury. You can do hopping or jumping...thoughi its hard to focus on what you watch...

Hopping for 30min can burn 300-400 Kcal
It is hardly possible to continuously jump for 30min,
and 1 lb of fat = around 4000 Kcal
Jul 8, 2012 7:15 PM

Mar 2009
Ok, first off I was similar to you in the fact I wanted to improve myself, the hardest thing is to get started and becoming consistent. Remember you will not see much change in a months time, this is a gradual change, but I guarantee if you stick with it you will improve, and this will benefit you greatly. I will point out some important things, I will also post some of my notes in one of my courses that I took.

-- Do not and I repeat do not workout the same muscle group in a 48hr time window, the reason is because when you finish lets say chest/triceps your muscles are torn and they need time to heal and repair its self, thus working out the same muscle group the next day is counter productive, make sure to have a routine.

. What is the difference between muscular strength and endurance? How do they differ in terms of exercise prescription?

Muscular strength is maximum force a muscle group can generate. Muscular endurance is the capacity to sustain repeated muscle actions in extended period of time. They differ in that if your aiming for strength then your rep range for the exercise will be between 2-6, while for endurance your rep range is greater than 15

What are some ways to build self-confidence in the weight room?

Create small attainable goals, this way there is an atmosphere of success, likewise, it helps get rid of any self doubt they may have about themselves. Start off slow, and tell them how far they have come along, give them lots of positive reinforcement.

How would you explain weight loss in a basic way in terms of calories?

Everybody has a calorie maintenance level, and we want to be below that number to lose weight, for example if your maintenance is 2000 calories a day then aiming for 1700 calories a day is a good number, don’t go to low as you will go into starvation mode and shut down your metabolism. Weight loss shouldn’t exceed 2.2lbs a week. To lose 1lb must burn 3500 kcals.

Simple routine I did to start off....I had workout buddy with me, this is a good idea to stay motivated and improve

Monday: Legs
Squats: 3 sets 6-12reps
calf raises " "
lunges walk down and back
leg extension machine 3 sets

Tues: chest/triceps
flat bench or Dumb bell: 3 sets 6-12 reps
incline bench: " "
Flys: " '
Dips: 3 sets, do weighted with a belt if you can
for triceps I mainly did some machines

Wed: Back/bicep
Deadlift: 3 sets 6-12 reps
Barbell row: 3 sets 6-12 reps
pullups: 3 sets do as many
lat pull down machine: 3 sets
bicep curl: " "

Thurs" rest

Friday: Shoulder/abs
Shoulder press: 3 sets
lat raises: " "
front raises: " "
rear delt raises: " "
and various ab machines

weekend rest

this was the routine I did starting my freshman year of College, and I improved greatly, of course it took years, in 3 yrs time I went from deadlifting nothing to over 500

dont mind the beard lol...anyway if anyone has any questions just ask me I will help as much as I can....I dunno if I am allowed to post my username on another site I use more frequently so I wont until I figure it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYvtvv_Yx3U&
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALaN1NQifR8
Jul 8, 2012 7:18 PM
Jul 2009
I just do pushups between tasks.
Jul 9, 2012 10:32 AM

Dec 2009
How many sets and reps should I do? in curls and benchpress and all that.

- And... what do you think is the best, most effective and easiest way to get the whole pecs?
- and an exercise for all legs
- and an exercise for triceps and biceps (full arm)
- and one for SHOULDERS!

Sorry for asking so much ><
Its fun finding out new things when I reach and search stuff.
Jul 9, 2012 11:03 AM

Oct 2010
Although I've been kind of on and off with body building, I have been doing it for two years and am often complimented about my build (lats and biceps more than anything else).

The problem is you're over complicating it. You've accumulated so much knowledge about it that you don't know where to start. The most important thing for you, as an ectomorph, is to start training heavy. You can get to a level where you're nicely built just by training two or three days a week, without taking nutrition into account. Nutrition becomes more important when you've reached a certain level.

Do the big compound exercises (squats, deadlifts, bench press, barbell rows, military press, pull ups, dips). You want to be doing exercises that target multiple muscle groups, not isolation exercises, i.e. do chin ups instead of bicep curls, do dips instead of tricep extensions, etc.

As far as sets and reps go, that depends on what you want. You want to put on muscle mass, so aim for about three sets of eight repetitions with all of your exercises. Unless of course you plan on doing the '5 x 5' workout (which I have heard very good things about). Click here for more information.

Don't forget to do your warm up prior to every workout, followed by some brief dynamic stretching. After your workout, do a quick cooldown and some static stretching to increase your rate of recovery.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - Apr 24

20 by deg »»
36 minutes ago

» Who is the most perverted person you irl ?

Thy-Veseveia - 11 hours ago

9 by tsukareru »»
36 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your average step count? [Poll] Do you think that you should take more steps?

Miscanthus - 5 hours ago

9 by Otakupervert890 »»
53 minutes ago

» What do you need cash for in your everyday life?

MeanMrMusician - Apr 21

39 by ProGoddess »»
2 hours ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - Apr 19

25 by KitsuFrost »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.