Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 28, 2012 4:49 AM

Sep 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Damned satisfying ending.
Jun 28, 2012 4:54 AM

Sep 2009
And the still left with question "How Fujiko Mine became Fujiko Mine". Successful troll is successful but I really liked this series despite some flaws.
Jun 28, 2012 5:05 AM

May 2010
What an anti climactic end, the true master mind was a bedridden anorexic girl hook up to a "GLaDOS" machine, Wow, Just, the best part was Jigen vs Goemon that was epic but never the lest i still enjoyed this episode one can truelly say a a "mother's love knows no bounds" if that what you want to call it, i empathize for her for going throgh all that traumatizing stuff but damn all that for such a reason?

at least we know it wasnt fujiko real memory

and Fujiko was a Bitch dance and playing around while the girl die, that well A bitch move right there so messed up
Jun 28, 2012 6:18 AM

Feb 2012
That was a good final episode, didn't see it coming that the mastermind was Aisha and it felt like it was an appropriate closure to the whole story.

I liked Jigen and Goemon as owl dudes, their faces were funny.

I agree, that was not a nice move of Fujiko, giving Aisha freedom, telling her she can't do a thing and showing off her hot body, bitch.

What happened to Oskar, did I miss him?
ZhouJun 28, 2012 6:27 AM
Jun 28, 2012 6:41 AM

Mar 2011
So yeah, watching this series was a worse experience than watching the Star Wars prequels.

No amount of artistic imagery, beautiful visuals and jazzy music can compensate for bad writing, pretentious bullshit, and a middle finger ending.

4/10 And Mari Okada needs to stop writing. She's making Shyamalan and Lucas look good.
Jun 28, 2012 6:50 AM

Jan 2009
Nachtwandler_21 said:
And the still left with question "How Fujiko Mine became Fujiko Mine". Successful troll is successful but I really liked this series despite some flaws.

ye this show just implies that Fujiko is just a born thief, its her nature to steal anything even stealing happiness from a disabled girl like Aisha by making her jealous

but overall not a bad show its better than most mainstream moe/ecchi anime we see today
Jun 28, 2012 6:55 AM
Jun 2008
hmm quite the unexpected story end on this finale ep

fujiko going no on white owl here lupin voice to rescue blast white owl but it's a corpse.
white powder appear got jigen seeing owl people with lupin run from shooting.
zenigata trying to reason wake up oscar but not working.
fujiko get chased rescue by goemon for why goemon is fujiko's boyfriend.
so let fujiko go to meet jigen with both being owl headed exposed.
fujiko enter room with push letter walls oh her lupin to climb meet final boss.
reveal a girl named aisha who control it all by eye contact computer device.
lupin reveal more that experiment with lead to aisha being main control of devices.
with cause mind control, brainwashing, etc on all being experiment.
here owl person appear reveal more flashback that count was dead.
but aisha continue the works on experiment little girls but failed.
til maid appear but the maid is fujiko yea she was also experiment.
yet see fujiko's life from steal to "do it" got aisha interest.
til fujiko's locked past got aisha hmm so cue destroy it all.
then experiment goes hmm with oscar doing "kill all bad girls" with gas tank truck.
then lupin grab aisha & oh boom reveal owl person is aisha's mom.
so now lupin take aisha to safety while fujiko point gun on aisha's mom.
with aisha's mom be take care of aisha.
lupin & fujiko show aisha the world long enough for her to rest in peace.
now all said & done lupin car jump to fujiko but car goes poof.
jigen & goemon call it draw to take their leave.
zenigata look crime scene & wonder where oscar?
goemon sit on boat while jigen pickup lupin & fujiko take her plane ride.

the end.

indeed quite hmm story give so many twist, confuse, etc yea mix of inception indeed quite a story i think now wait for dub.
LIVING THE GS-LIFESTYLE
MR.GS
JUST ON THE JOURNEY THROUGH THE ANIME WORLD
THE KLAC OF ANIME WORLD
you either with ANIME http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 or against the anime
Jun 28, 2012 9:15 AM

Jun 2009
Well, that's some fine trolling there, destroying any kind of theory i had before. As much as i hate to admit it, this ending felt very appopriate and satisfying. I liked this series, i liked coming up with some theories thorough it, i don't mind it being for naugh and last episode destroying them all.

This shit was good, 'nuff said.
8/10.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Jun 28, 2012 10:37 AM

Apr 2007
Goemon was so hawt in dat Fujiko outfit. You know if you didn't cut the owl's clothes you could have changed right dude?

Meh this felt anti-climactic and there were some really bad episodes along the way. And they did a horrible job handling Goemon's character. He was basically only there when they needed him to cut something. And the end of Oscar & Zenigata's part of the story felt like it could have been handled better. It feels so...incomplete. I also couldn't help feeling happy that this actually wasn't Fujiko's past.

Complaints aside I like how they handled the girl's story with the creepy owls and how the OP narration became more clear as the story progressed. I also really liked the art style and there still were some really good episodes, mostly the intros and #10.

Oh and please don't take my complaints as a disappointed long-time Lupin fan or something. It is true that the biggest appeal of the Lupin franchise for me is seeing the group together, having fun while stealing stuff, but after a few episodes I didn't even expect to see them get together. Overall I just feel like this was handled poorly in some areas and I'm bothered by it. Simple~~
Jun 28, 2012 12:01 PM
Jan 2011
Can't say I liked it as much as I wanted to like it. The ending seemed like a big "It was nothing all along", Fujiko had always been Fujiko, doing things her way, and the past we discover halfway through, which was looking to be some big character devellopment, turns out to belong to a character you simply can't care about because it appears for 5 minutes in the last episode.

You know, for a series that tries to tell the story of Mine Fujiko, this really didn't bring anything new about her to the table. I guess it was nice seeing the characters interactions before being a group, but that's that.

The song that played through the last scene was great though, as was the last ED.
Jun 28, 2012 12:56 PM

Jun 2009
Best part about the episode was Fujiko dancing around and generally mocking the dying girl. Nice use of dark humor there. Other than that, it felt kind of like a waste as none of the developments were actually for Fujiko herself. Perhaps that's a good thing.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 28, 2012 12:57 PM

Apr 2011
I thought the ending was pretty good. i liked the series :)

8/10
Jun 28, 2012 2:31 PM

Nov 2011
I actually liked the fact, or rather didn't mind, that none of it happened to Fujiko, and that it was all just an elaborate detour from one of her usual heists. The lack of main character development didn't affect me too much as I never expected any from the name. While development was a pleasant surprise before the revelation, I don't feel it was wasted simply because it wasn't Fujiko who experienced it. As a spin-off, it was a decent show. What I didn't like was the format of most of the earlier episodes, that is only one person in the group taking the stage with Fujiko at a time. I felt it lacked the chemistry and charm of usual Lupin, and perhaps that development could have benefited the characters after all. The writing in some of those episodes weren't commendable either. Still, there were some good ones, and it was an enjoyable and unique experience.
MissileSoupJun 28, 2012 2:34 PM
Jun 28, 2012 3:12 PM

May 2012
I have nothing bad to say about this episode. I had nothing bad to say about any part of this series.
Just perfect.
Perfect art.
Perfect voices.
Perfect music.
Perfect story.
Simply perfect.
Jun 28, 2012 3:17 PM

May 2012
Zhou said:

What happened to Oskar, did I miss him?

I think Oscar was left out after he jumped off the truck that set fire to the main building Aisha and her mother were in. Similarly, they left Zenigata's end whereabouts to the imagination as well.
Jun 28, 2012 3:27 PM

May 2010
Overall a very good series.

Every other Lupin III TV series had a movie too.

I guess a movie depends of how well the series sells.

A movie could tie-up a few loose ends

- fate of Oscar
- Zenigata's transformation into a Lupin obsessed, slightly crazed individual
- Lupin vs Goemon; who will bang Fujiko first?
- official first heist with Lupin, Jigen, Fujiko and Goemon
(was Episode 0: First Contact just a story? Guess it doesn't matter since it seems this series is a different continuity so their first team job should be established anyways)
Jun 28, 2012 3:34 PM

Oct 2010
Well the series was pretty bad compared to all the other series. I am glad that wasnt Fujiko's real past. That is what Fujiko unique you dont know nothing about her past.

There is no need for a movie. This whole series should had been one movie.

Finally at the end thats the Fujiko and Lupin i know. Lupin only likes Fujiko to relieve his boredom.

I really hate how the ruined Jigen and Lupin 1st meeting. Even in the series Lupin III part 1. Jigen and Goemon both tried to kill Lupin and he turned them against each other. LOL

Keep in mind i saw all Lupin series, OVAS, and movies i just never tried the live action

I give this series a 5/10. Im just taking this story as a bad spin off.

I can understand why it wasnt about stealing. Lupin, Jigen, Goemon, and Fujiko stole just about everything in all the 215 plus episodes and 20 movies/ovas. LOL

I hope we get a new Lupin series that is about Lupin. Zenigata can catch Lupin if he want he is just Lupin polar opposite.

Oh yeah I hope that ****** Oscar is dead.( i bet you punks will still try to report this) LMFAO
bonifideJun 28, 2012 3:39 PM
Jun 28, 2012 4:14 PM

Mar 2009
9/10
Jun 28, 2012 4:44 PM

Apr 2010
I watched older series Lupin as a kid and liked it, but I don't remember them well. This series was a restart of my imaginary of Lupin The Third's characters. And I liked it very much, even if I think it has some episodes that don't shine too much.
The ending was a bit chaotic, I expected something different but it's not bad for me.

The art and animations were eccellent.

8.5/10, rounded 8/10 because the ending of Oscar disappointed me. I wanted something clear (arrested or killed).
Jun 28, 2012 7:07 PM

Apr 2007
They should have just let Oscar die in that one episode. At least he had some closure there, him coming back barely even served a purpose.

If this does well I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to make a movie relating to the series. Hell, even if it doesn't I wouldn't be surprised if they made one. Just look at all the Lupin movies/specials out there! I kinda hope it never happens, but being the Lupin fan that I am, I will no doubt watch it anyway.
Jun 28, 2012 7:34 PM
Apr 2010
Series had very little flaws. But i enjoyed it very much! Especially the artwork.
Jun 29, 2012 2:12 AM

Jan 2011
>Spend entire show building up a decent backstory for Fujiko and why she steals
>LOL NAH I was a thief all along!

Oh well 8/10
[center]
Jun 29, 2012 4:38 AM
Feb 2010
In the end, Fujiko is just a slut instead of someone with a traumatic past.

The cake is a lie, so is Fujiko.
Jun 29, 2012 9:53 AM

Aug 2009
I don't think Fujiko was trying to mock Aisha in the end. Rather, since Aisha was envious and living her life through her, she finally found freedom and happiness through Fujiko's happy free frolicking in the ocean and thus dies peacefully and content... or at least that is what I would like to believe.

In the end a girl named Fujiko is simply a thief who has lots of sex. Now I'm looking forward to all the hentai doujins of Mine Fujiko in the near future. heh.
Jun 29, 2012 10:31 AM

Dec 2008
Meh well I seriously don't see how a tragic past like that can possibly lead her to a live of thievery and sex, I mean after that kind of trauma, anyone would obviously commit suicide.

Though now owls freak me out.

Tonight... we are young... so let's set the world on fire, we can burn brighter, than the sun...
Jun 29, 2012 11:15 AM

Nov 2010
What a shitstorm I ever seen. From some members of the fandom.
I play, the haters lose.
Jun 29, 2012 8:07 PM

Oct 2007
Very interesting show with a great ending to the story.

8/10

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Jun 29, 2012 10:15 PM

Feb 2012
This was my first ( And likely only ) Lupin anime and I gotta say it was good.

Fujiko is sexy, and Lupin is an A class troll :D

Loved the art style and animation. Also loved all the boobs!

8/10
Jun 30, 2012 1:14 AM

Jul 2011
Enjoyable episode, great series but overall a poor ending. I'm not one to unconditionally bitch about Deus Ex Machina's as i personally feel that in certain situations its an necessary evil but here, that simply wasn't the case. It was a great opportunity to dive into psyche of Mine Fujiko which they did quite well until they effectively pushed the reset button and reduced everything that happened in the series to no more than a heist gone bad.

Also agreed with the above poster, i really couldn't see the point in them keeping Oscar alive. Still an enjoyable episode with the showdown between Goemon & Jigen as well as Lupin and Jigen still teaming together when its all said and done being highlights.
Jun 30, 2012 2:27 AM

Oct 2011
genius of an ending for a very satisfying, entertaining, and funny show - definitely one of the best of the season! was wonderful to see aisha reach freedom at the end, if only in death - this show had such a deep subtlety and sophistication that is so lacking in most (especially modern anime): great art, music, and writing, with one of my all-time favorite opening sequences - i give it a 9 out of 10..........
Jun 30, 2012 4:01 PM
Jun 2012
I loved it. It cemented my love for this whole series - I never expected the show to completely pull the rug from under everyone's expectations like that.

When Fujiko revealed she was always the way she is, and that she came in the first place to steal the dizziness drug, it was just awesome. They completely avoided doing a disservice to Fujiko as a character, whilst showing how her own strength of will saved her from a "fake" backstory forcefully imposed on her by someone who had their own freedom taken away.

For the whole duration of the series, "Luis Yu Almeida" was just a boogeyman from the past, a girl's projection of the monster that ruined her life. And Right-Hand-Owl was her mother, so guilty that she lacked the power to save her daughter that she became complicit in ruining others' lives the same way. It casts a whole new light on the role of these two "owls" throughout the series. I will need to do a marathon rewatch some day very soon!

I loved Lupin's goofy wisdom, Goemon's sexy legs (and declaration of SESSHA NO GARLFRENDO), Jigen's triple-spin-shot...I just wish there was more resolution of Oscar but if you think about it, episode 11 is where he wanted to end his story. In these two episodes after the crazy owl brainwashing, we see he's so tormented by his distorted image of Zenigata and Fujiko that he must destroy all ties with them (maybe out of whatever remains of his "pride" in his own existence). Sadly it doesn't get him a very happy ending compared to Fujiko who was able to resolve her issues. I guess that's the point.

Even so this has been my #1 favourite show of the entire season. It was a wonderful weekly dose of the twisted, artsy, sexy and playful, with some really standout character art and design that I just want to plaster all over my walls.
Mari Okada gets a lot of hate for how she wrote some shows, but she has really delivered with her story for this series. The way the details from previous episodes kept getting tied in was impressive. I adored the characterisation of Lupin and friends...and the upsetting subplot of Oscar and Zenigata was like watching a train crash in slow motion. ;_;

All in all I just have to applaud everyone involved for creating such a radical departure in such a relatively "safe" franchise. And god I can't wait for the OST...the music during the final scene of this episode while Fujiko and Lupin were riding was orgasmic.
Jun 30, 2012 7:27 PM
Jul 2018
Taufiq91 said:
So yeah, watching this series was a worse experience than watching the Star Wars prequels.

No amount of artistic imagery, beautiful visuals and jazzy music can compensate for bad writing, pretentious bullshit, and a middle finger ending.

4/10 And Mari Okada needs to stop writing. She's making Shyamalan and Lucas look good.

Yeah? What about Nisemonogatari and Bakemonogatari? No amount of fanservice, beautiful visuals and cute openings can compensate for bad directing, bad script work and a middle finger storyline.
Jun 30, 2012 7:51 PM
Jun 2012
I really liked it.

If there is one thing the Japanese should learn from American cinema it’s that prequels and reboots can backfire badly. I feared they were going to tag sexual abuse onto Fujiko’s backstory. Who really wants to be thinking of such things when they see her naughtily flirting to get whatever she wants? Sure it was interesting to get some backstory on Jigen and Goemon but thankfully the writers understood we don’t need to dumb the characters down to having their life be all about some traumatic defining moment. They had there entire lives to become who they are and they’re more interesting now then they were before.
Jun 30, 2012 10:08 PM
Mar 2011
This ending (including the last few eps) was especially interesting to me because of the Illuminati/occult/brainwashing/MK-ULTRA references since I research such things. Didn't expect any of that to be in an anime!

A very fun 13 episodes and amazing art. 9/10 imo
Jul 1, 2012 12:45 PM
Aug 2010
Best part about the episode was Fujiko dancing around and generally mocking the dying girl. Nice use of dark humor there.

It didn't really work as 'dark humor' because it was just disturbing and uncomfortable to watch. The dark comedy in the Lupin manga works because it's not realistic; the death and rape and whatnot just don't have the same impact because it's all done in a cartoony way that doesn't dwell on how awful such a thing would be in a real life context.

Here they put so much effort into giving Aisha pretty much the most depressing, shocking backstory imaginable and then they did THAT. What the hell?
I don't think Fujiko was trying to mock Aisha in the end. Rather, since Aisha was envious and living her life through her, she finally found freedom and happiness through Fujiko's happy free frolicking in the ocean and thus dies peacefully and content... or at least that is what I would like to believe.

She specifically says "YOU CAN'T DO ANYTHING" in an obviously taunting manner. Lupin even called her out on her cruelty.

A really disturbing, sad and just generally messed up way to end a Lupin show. Monkey Punch himself has said that the point of Lupin is to make people forget about their worries and have fun, and this show failed at doing that for me to a colossal extent. I love the shit out of dark humor but this wasn't humorous; it was a total downer.

And of course there's the many other writing issues, but those have already been endlessly criticized.
busterbeamJul 1, 2012 12:48 PM
Jul 1, 2012 9:53 PM

Feb 2010
The ending taunting dance by Mine Fujiko was the only part that made me not-to-thrilled..

the rest of it was GENIUS! One of the most satisfying endings I've experienced in a long time. Brilliantly executed.

I loved the cameo from each person, esp Boyfriend-san lol He's fantastic.

9/10. enjoyed the ride!

Oh, and that stupid faggot Oskar is not still out wreaking havoc....

tce28 said:

All in all I just have to applaud everyone involved for creating such a radical departure in such a relatively "safe" franchise. And god I can't wait for the OST...the music during the final scene of this episode while Fujiko and Lupin were riding was orgasmic.

+1
Jul 2, 2012 3:37 AM

May 2009
For once I'm glad that this last episode betrayed all of my expectations, personally I didn't like at all how Fujiko's "backstory" was changing her character, and when she said "excuse me, but I steal shit and have casual sex because I want to, thank you very much." I was relieved that she turned back into the fun character she was. I wouldn't have enjoyed Fujiko so much with the all-too real nyphomaniac-because-she-was-molested-as-a-child backstory, which would have made all her actions reatroactively creepy. Furthermore, the changed context makes this basically a really excellent take on the kidnapped-and-brainwashed-by-supervillain-during-adventure plot that Fujiko has done before, except she still got to be badass during it.

As for the sea scene, I don't think it should be intended as trolling. Fujiko was just trying to cheer Aisha up in the best way possible. "You can't do anything" is most likely an unhappy choice of words, a better way to render that could be "even though you can't do that", as in Aisha is paralyzed and going to die but she'll spend her last moment seeing Fujiko's free life and I find it very poetic given the situation. Instead, it seems the fansubbers decided to go for the blind literal translation, which it's not a good idea for a language like Japanese, where context matters much more than English.

Overall, as a fan I really liked this new take on Lupin: the plot is more cohesive, the animation is excellent and I really liked those little callbacks to the original series, especially in this episode: the show turned into a lead-in to the original green jacket series, where Goemon first actually meets Lupin and Jigen, and Fujiko is posing as Goemon's girlfriend when he's introduced. My only complaint is how open-ended was the fate of Oscar, which looks like a really big sequel bait, but I certainly won't complain if a sequel will come in the future.

9/10
Arashi89Jul 2, 2012 4:49 AM
Jul 2, 2012 5:38 AM
Aug 2010
Well, I'll admit that I did consider that it may have been a translation fuck-up; I just forgot to mention it in my post here.

I kinda hope it was because otherwise... christ.
Jul 3, 2012 12:49 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
The turret voice was a pleasant surprise!

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jul 3, 2012 3:07 PM

Mar 2010
10/10 no regrets.
Jul 5, 2012 7:51 AM
Sep 2011
An absolutely satisfying ending for a tremendous show.
Granted Aisha's and her mother's story leaves a bitter aftertaste in my mouth but so does the whole case with the experiments by Almeida. Personally, I approve of the rather dark atmosphere of most of this series, there's no need to be all fun and games all the time as some people on here were demanding of this show.

In the end Fujiko's origin remains unknown but it's fitting and preserves her as the mysterious woman everyone perceives her as. In fact the whole series could be seen as the journey of an independent and self-confident woman who successfully gets rid of an ultimately fake past inflicted on her. She chose this lifestyle on her own will, not because it was a way to surpress her past.

Overall, I give this series a 10/10 for now as it contained everything I want in a series, a clever story with lots of twists and turns, a unique artstyle along with great visual direction, great and fittingly inserted BGM, interesting dialogues and characters.

Also, it seems many people nowadays take Mari Okada as a freepass to critizise the story of a story whereas in my opinion this show actually managed to refrain free from melodramatic content unlike Okada's other more recent works.
Jul 5, 2012 9:53 PM

Oct 2008
can't believe there are people who think this is bad
Jul 6, 2012 5:17 PM
Jul 2009
WHAT was that song playing at the end before the credits *__* ..... I think some other form of it was also playing during the coffin scene in episode 2...Can anyone find any info about the OST, because I definitely cannot >:((
Jul 8, 2012 12:35 PM
Oct 2009
Oh god what a shitty series incoming rant as to why this was a shitty Lupin series and the worst Lupin series, yes even worse than the Pink Jacket series.:

Lupin discovers that the owl men (who are actual OWL MEN) are behind some kind of narcotic conspiracy and gets in a fight with some illusory security guards who are still somehow capable of HARMING HIM

Lupin has a conversation with the ghost (who isn't actually a ghost) of a scientist who experimented on children for Luis Yu Almeida, which then leads to a creepy hallucinogenic trip into the dark recesses of Fujiko's childhood, which then spits him out in an abandoned factory in an abandoned town

Oscar goes batshit because he can't get Zenigata's cock and an insultingly unsubtle story about Oscar's homosexuality unfolds in which he pretends to be Fujiko to get Zenigata's attention which ends in him trying to drown/blow himself up

The entire gang ends up at a creepy abandoned amusement park created by Almeida and designed with his fixation on little girls in mind and everyone wanders around aimlessly in a gratuitous slideshow of background porn which ends with Lupin and Jigen fighting OWL MEN on a rollercoaster and Fujiko getting trapped in a room full of naked mannequins/clones/whateverthefucktheyare based on her physical appearance

Oscar is back in drag and STILL wants to kill Zenigata because he's a batshit insane bastard

Lupin and Fujiko discover that Almeida has been dead the whole time and the emaciated catatonic body of one of his child experiments from decades ago is actually controlling everything from behind the scenes with the use of a psychically-controlled futuristic supercomputer with some stupid motive that I can't even remember now

something something psychic coma girl's mother is one of the owl men something something

THE WHOLE FUCKING SERIES OF FLASHBACKS ESTABLISHING THE FACT THAT FUJIKO WAS EXPERIMENTED ON AS A CHILD WERE FAKE AND IMPLANTED OVER HER REAL MEMORIES BY ALMEIDA WHEN SHE WAS CAPTURED WHILE TRYING TO STEAL SOMETHING. FUJIKO SUDDENLY REGAINS HER MEMORIES AND SHE NEVER HAD A TRAGIC PAST WHATSOEVER, SHE ACTUALLY DOES JUST STEAL AND FUCK AND LIVE DANGEROUSLY FOR THE HELL OF IT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHFJGFHJFHGHGHFGH

Do I even need to explain why all of this is really, really, really stupendously terrible? Really, ultimately Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna's worst crime wasn't that it was convoluted or even outright deceptive (I'm looking at you, flashbacks and ED), but that it just simply wasn't fun. It was the antithesis of everything that made classic Lupin III enjoyable--it was too self-serious, introspective, melodramatic, artificial, and generally ignorant of the qualities that made the characters so endearing in the first place. There was none of the joy, camp, energy, novelty, and charisma that I expect from Lupin III, its cast, and its narratives. The attempt to add "maturity" resulted in a lifelessly overwrought production that, even without taking into consideration the snowballing levels of narrative insanity, was one of the most emotionless anime viewing experiences I've ever had. What a terrible, terrible disappointment.

I thought this series was an attempt to flesh out a fairly shallow character, but she ended up being less interesting than she was in the initial episode. So the answer to ""How Fujiko Mine became Fujiko Mine" is that "No, she was always like this, lol. Forget the implied child rape/torture that was suggested all along."

The only thing I take from this is that I Fujiko herself is dull, and Goemon seems like a cool character, just woefully underused here. Everything that is good about standard Lupin (such as the group dynamic) was almost non-existent here. I can't remember a show where I've quite so actively disliked the protagonist either (Fujiko).

Mari Okada did it. She killed a Lupin series for me. It's even worse than the Pink Jacket series. Bravo Okada! Setting new a new (low) standard for the Lupin franchise.

Thankfully the series bombed in the TV ratings in Japan after ep 8 when people realized that the show just plain sucks. Here's hoping the next TV series if we ever get one will be better, not that it will take much effort to do so.
Jul 8, 2012 4:52 PM

May 2011
Why did you let them experiment on your daughter? "Because I was scared".... The fuck?
Liked this series before it started getting weird with this screwy plot and horrible setting. Not gonna say I hate it, but not something I consider anything more than decent either.

6/10
Jul 9, 2012 8:43 PM
Aug 2010
Zoddguts: I can't really defend the season as a whole because I basically just picked out a handful of recommended episodes, but there are some pink jacket episodes that are actually pretty good as 'campy, fun Lupin' stories and are also the closest Lupin anime has ever gotten to looking like the manga (especially the episodes with Yuzo Aoki involvement, whose style is Monkey Punch as hell). Basically there's a bunch of underrated, good material in season 3, in both plot and visuals. In fact the most disliked episodes in terms of art are the most accurate to Monkey Punch's real, scribbly and wacky art style

But beyond that I totally agree with your rant. The overall tone felt like replacing Lupin's unique sense of fun with a pretty standard 'mature, adult anime' feel, and the twist at the end was... not as effective as they wanted it to be. They're the ones who introduced the shitty 'Fujiko was raped as a kid' idea to begin with, so tossing it aside as nonsense at the end as some ultimate twist didn't really have the impact that they intended. It felt less like "Fujiko is who she is and that is awesome" and more like "oh, so you didn't go with that terrible rape backstory after all? Good job, I guess".
Jul 10, 2012 8:07 AM

Jan 2008
Great finale and conclusion -for most of the characters though. The animation and music choices were amazing, and execution most of the part was well done. However, some of the stand-alone episodes could have been made better, imo. But, as i said, the conclusion made it up for me.

The past story of Mine Fujiko is well thought out and conducted as she did not stray away from her usual self much. The brainwashing stuff was a great idea and moreover, the reference to the MKULTRA project of CIA was a very bold decision.

Overall, a solid 8/10.
Aug 2, 2012 2:05 PM
Aug 2010
What a twist at the end. I'm really glad it wasnt Fujiko's real past, because making sick result of psychic experiments out of her just freaks me out. Seriously, we all know that Fujiko is the dorobou neko that likes having sex (or at least tease men in her favor).
Through the second part of series, specifically the owl arc, I had just a bad feeling about that all. All these hallucinations and drugs shit scared me, and the noir setting of the first part of series just switches to some psychodelic shit. Great, thanks to that owls scare the shit out of me now T_T

By the way, most of people here were telling Mine is just saying she was Mine all the time, but I don't think its like it was. Fake memories about torture and shit had an affect on her own mind, making her having seizures. At the time she gets to the Luis Yu Almeida room, fake memories take posession of her mind and there is the climax - Lupin helps her to suprass that shit and recalls about her real mission. The fact she couldn't pull herself together without his help is the most interesting part for me.

Well, the title was really good, now we know it's not what it supposed to be all the time. 10/10, nice try to make some reboot of Lupin story.

By the way, Oscar wasnt needed at all. We could make it without gay inclusions, really.

P.S. Some said that was a black humour about Fujiko's dance - even if it was like that (I just think it was like some other guy said, that it was just to share her pleasure living in this world), what about series of heartless experiments with little girls Aisha made? She doesn't deserve that?
LightswordAug 2, 2012 2:11 PM
Aug 4, 2012 1:18 PM
Aug 2011
This series blew me away. Just an incredible tribute to anime of the 70's in general. While watching it I'd often forget I was watching something made in 2012.

Then I came here and saw all the people whining about the ending.
Aug 10, 2012 1:12 AM

Jul 2010
Best anime of the season. Such a breath of fresh air from the majority of generic crap that's been coming out lately. 9/10
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

octal9 - Apr 19, 2012

57 by TheCrimsonEye »»
Feb 8, 2:10 PM

Poll: » Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

dbaranyi - Apr 11, 2012

65 by TheCrimsonEye »»
Feb 8, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

samuraitastic - Apr 4, 2012

141 by TheCrimsonEye »»
Feb 5, 9:40 PM

Poll: » Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

busterbeam - May 9, 2012

57 by St0rmblade »»
Dec 1, 2023 2:38 PM

Poll: » Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna Episode 7 Discussion

dbaranyi - May 16, 2012

49 by zelfron12 »»
Jul 2, 2023 2:25 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.