Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 4, 2012 10:27 AM

Jun 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I just watched it via Keyhole, so I didn't see this episode in the way it should (lol pixellation and lost audio at times), but it was fantastic visually. The collaging in the opening sequence impressed me too. Fujiko is such a boss and Lupin was his awesome self.
Apr 4, 2012 2:02 PM

Aug 2007
That was an absolute visual feast (unsurprising given the staff involved). I can definitely see myself tuning in on a weekly basis.
Apr 4, 2012 3:45 PM

Jul 2010
Man I was impressed by this episode. A unique but awesome art style. Lupin stealing the gun away from Fujiko while "headless" was epic.
Apr 4, 2012 3:57 PM

Nov 2008
Subs. Where are they?
Apr 4, 2012 6:10 PM

Aug 2010
Sir_Drake said:
Subs. Where are they?

You read my mind.
Apr 4, 2012 7:11 PM

Aug 2009
Sir_Drake said:
Subs. Where are they?

As far as I know, I think gg is going to sub it. Other than that, no idea.

I'll wait until a good sub comes out. The wait is killing me though :/
Apr 4, 2012 9:24 PM

May 2008
Maybe it's prudish but I felt like the high production quality was wasted on the constant service.
Apr 4, 2012 9:53 PM

Jun 2007
It was fairly easy to spot the Takeshi Koike style in this episode. Also, headless Lupin was great.
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
Apr 4, 2012 11:40 PM

Aug 2011
AWESOME!
The animation's art is unique and awesome.
I think I don't seen a very good 1st episode since Cowboy Bebop, the feeling its the same, and that music style, really awesome.
Can't wait to see the next episode...
Apr 5, 2012 12:33 AM

Jan 2010
It's clearly a Monkey Punch Lupin. So wicked, dark, and yet humorous. Classic style Lupins always leave me somewhere between disgust and admiration :o.
(|__/) Never give up, aim for the top!
(='.'=) Top wo nerae!
o(")(") Anime music: http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=777199
Apr 5, 2012 3:20 AM

Jan 2008
Nothing short of amazing. Anxiously waiting for subs.

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Apr 5, 2012 3:25 AM
Jan 2009
Subs are out, check out Nyaa.
Apr 5, 2012 3:53 AM
Sep 2011
It's love at first sight for me. Unique artstyle, striking BGM, charming characters and exotic setting, what's not to love about this. Even without having seen anything from this franchise aside from this episode I can say that this is the show to watch out this season.

I'm glad that this show doesn't shy away from showing nudity, it would take away a lot from Mine Fujiko as a femme fatale as the sensuality and seductiveness are essential parts of her personality and indispensable for the plot.

Sadly, many people won't even try it out since they are unfamiliar with this franchise or think of it as outdated which is a shame as it really is a series out of the ordinary.
Apr 5, 2012 4:08 AM

Oct 2010
As a long time fan of Lupin i love the art style but i despise Fujiko's voice. I'm too use to the old actress that use to play her.

I'm also upset about Oscar. Zenigata needs no partner. I really hope he is a girl in a man's disguise. Lupin III doesnt need any gay characters in the show.

They probably wont show as much nudity in the next episodes. I cant wait to see how Fujiko tries to seduce Goemon thats going to be funny as hell.

Totentanz said:

Sadly, many people won't even try it out since they are unfamiliar with this franchise or think of it as outdated which is a shame as it really is a series out of the ordinary.

Your right a lot of people wont try it out. This is one of my all time favorite series. The style of this anime is more like the 1st series of Lupin III. It was pretty gritty compared to the other series. Also you can tell its the beginning of their meetings because of the green jacket.
bonifideApr 5, 2012 4:14 AM
Apr 5, 2012 5:44 AM

Aug 2007
I liked the first episode a lot, it was great entertainment with very unique art, lot's of fun, great action and an awesome Arsene Lupin. Can't ask for more. :D
Apr 5, 2012 6:09 AM

Aug 2010
Totentanz said:
It's love at first sight for me. Unique artstyle, striking BGM, charming characters and exotic setting, what's not to love about this. Even without having seen anything from this franchise aside from this episode I can say that this is the show to watch out this season.

I'm glad that this show doesn't shy away from showing nudity, it would take away a lot from Mine Fujiko as a femme fatale as the sensuality and seductiveness are essential parts of her personality and indispensable for the plot.

Yeah, I'm the same as well.
I've heard a lot about lupin and fujiko but i never expected it to be like this...wow...the art style and animation was awesome and so unique. And the amount of nudity they showed was far more than I'm used to seeing in any series and without a single hint of censoring. now that's something.

But yeah, i loved headless lupin...and i hope all the eps will be Fujiko against lupin and not only Fujiko alone...since this is supposed to be her series.
Apr 5, 2012 6:14 AM

Apr 2009
It's a shame to see that many people on MAL who haven't read or watched at least one of the many incarnations of Lupin.

Anyway, the series is exactly what I wanted. The presentation is more on the "serious" side of the franchise, while the visuals and the directing are certainly on the level that I could expect from the person who did Michiko To Hatchin. A serious contender for the best show of the season, if not the entire year.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Apr 5, 2012 6:25 AM

Oct 2010
Nidhoeggr said:
It's a shame to see that many people on MAL who haven't read or watched at least one of the many incarnations of Lupin.

Anyway, the series is exactly what I wanted. The presentation is more on the "serious" side of the franchise, while the visuals and the directing are certainly on the level that I could expect from the person who did Michiko To Hatchin. A serious contender for the best show of the season, if not the entire year.

Yeah i wish a lot of more people watched it. One of the funniest animes. Then again a lot of 70s/80s animes was funny as hell. Now when animes try to be funny they try to hard and it ends up extremely lame. Only anime i know that had a lot of funny moments was probably beezlebub.
Apr 5, 2012 6:41 AM
Jun 2008
so i guess slowly how lupin & fujiko meet.

give way it went quite ok give way designs on it quite unique i say wonder how will go give it's going to be 13eps series give based on fujiko?
LIVING THE GS-LIFESTYLE
MR.GS
JUST ON THE JOURNEY THROUGH THE ANIME WORLD
THE KLAC OF ANIME WORLD
you either with ANIME http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 or against the anime
Apr 5, 2012 6:57 AM

Nov 2007
great first episode but it feels too easy seeing her topless all the time. her portrayal is the "hard to get" type, right? shouldn't that apply to the audience as well?
the masochist says "hurt me! hurt me!" the sadist replies "no"
Apr 5, 2012 7:10 AM

Aug 2008
SEXY!

I really should just watch the Castle of Cagliostro already!
Apr 5, 2012 7:28 AM

May 2010
Never watch any of Lupin series before.
Pretty interesting although not so entertaining.
Apr 5, 2012 8:35 AM

Oct 2010
An absolute delicacy to see the good old green jacket Lupin from the first season of them all make such a striking return, and so faithful to his origins as it was! I think perhaps the only thing that showed some "forced" modernism was Zenigata's partner which in the end managed to be something quite interesting when it comes to merging the stereotype of a character that is very common in modern shows, but with a style that is perfectly embedded within the classic Lupin design nuances. You could tell the visuals were slick with details and patterns thanks to modern digital techniques, and at the same time, the classy colour palette and the undeniable traditionalist way how scenarios were drawn on the 70's is right there flawlessly fused and presenting the best of the best, that anime has developed in artistic styles between such distant decades. In the end we have a visual experience coated with a luxurious treat for the eyes, perfectly partnered with a nostalgic and profoundly charismatic cast, that still has some characters left out of the first episode, but which surely will come around.

A brief comment on Fujiko's nudity galore we all noticed. I believe that, basing my opinion on the original approach to her (and considering this series has her on the spotlight), the intent behind Fujiko's nudity isn't one of fanservice like most shows that give breast or panty shots (i don't say this in a way to criticize those other shows, just to make a point and distinction). Instead of teasing the viewer with the possibility of seeing each female character in the show involved in an eventual situation where the nude/pantyshot gratification is delivered with the purpose of making it worth the wait for the viewer, i believe the way they depict Fujiko in respect to nudity is done in such an effortless and natural way, it clearly means to reflect that side of her, using sensuality as her weapon, using her body and provocation as a tool of work, and, the repeated appearance of her nudity not only is useful to desensitize the viewer to its depiction as in order to accept that the nudity is there for purposes other than fanservice, it also seems to act more like a plot device upon character development that shows how it all is absolutely a raw, banal, everyday at job thing for our female protagonist.

Loved it, couldn't possibly recommend it more.
Apr 5, 2012 8:49 AM

Jan 2009
not as funny as the old series, this new one has some seriousness aura in it, but still what an eye candy art, and fujiko is as hot as ever
Apr 5, 2012 9:02 AM

Apr 2009
bonifide said:

Yeah i wish a lot of more people watched it. One of the funniest animes. Then again a lot of 70s/80s animes was funny as hell. Now when animes try to be funny they try to hard and it ends up extremely lame. Only anime i know that had a lot of funny moments was probably beezlebub.

Well, most newer anime fans are so accustomed to the established genres that are so set in their way that nearly all innovation has died off (look at harems, comedy and the triring battle Shounen formula) that's actually becoming a problem to really sell innovative stuff these days to them (Madhouse, Manglobe, etc.). A shame, the quality of anime fandom in general is declining.

Regarding the fanservice: Fujiko is supposed to be a femme fatale, so using nudity, seduction and sex as a tool/weapon and the consequent showing of these weapons is not only true to her character, but also realistic. At least more realistic then the generic harem bath scene, which always end with "ECCCHI, BAKA~".
NidhoeggrApr 5, 2012 9:30 AM
Apr 5, 2012 9:20 AM

Apr 2007
Wow the animation is stunning. Love it~ This is off to a great start, although they were a bit heavy with the explanations. I also don't mind the nudity since the series itself is mature about it, and it's pretty much a regular thing in Lupin anyway, but I do hope it won't be like this too often.

Now to wait for Goemon and Jigen to appear. I'm really looking forward to it. Lupin is just so much more fun with the whole group.

But what the hell is Kaji Yuki doing in my Lupin? Just can't escape that guy >_> At least Oscar doesn't seem like the bitchy type so he shouldn't be too annoying.
Apr 5, 2012 9:44 AM

Apr 2011
I've never watched any of the Lupin series but i really enjoyed watching this episode. Can't wait for more :D
Apr 5, 2012 10:14 AM

Nov 2008
My goodness.
Apr 5, 2012 10:31 AM

Jan 2011
I didn't expect her to actually give tongue to that priest guy...

Monochrome said:
But what the hell is Kaji Yuki doing in my Lupin? Just can't escape that guy >_> At least Oscar doesn't seem like the bitchy type so he shouldn't be too annoying.

I don't like Kaji Yuki either. But Oscar seems cool.
[center]
Apr 5, 2012 10:33 AM
Mar 2011
VioLink said:
I didn't expect her to actually give tongue to that priest guy...

Monochrome said:

I don't like Kaji Yuki either. But Oscar seems cool.

the epiosde was good i hate the casting at lest seiya omega has got the casting right
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Apr 5, 2012 10:40 AM

Feb 2008
Haven't seen any Lupin in over 10 years, but this was seriously good! I especially liked the art style.
Also, I'm surprised the director of this series is a woman, considering the amount of fanservice shown.
Apr 5, 2012 10:44 AM

Dec 2009
Nice episode of a new perspective. Its nice to now know why Lupin always partners up with Fujiko again even though she'd betray him, because "its a good way to cure my boredom."
Can't wait for goemon and Jigan to come into the scene.
Apr 5, 2012 11:13 AM

Oct 2010
Nidhoeggr said:

Regarding the fanservice: Fujiko is supposed to be a femme fatale, so using nudity, seduction and sex as a tool/weapon and the consequent showing of these weapons is not only true to her character, but also realistic. At least more realistic then the generic harem bath scene, which always end with "ECCCHI, BAKA~".

Yeah Fujiko never did nudity or fan service for the hell of it. It was always to get her way. Thats why i always liked her.

I meant to also say Lupin III is really like that. Fujiko betrays Lupin all the time but he always forgive her. He really does get bored. Zenigata can also catch Lupin if he wanted to but i think he is just like Lupin he doesnt want to be bored. They got like a love/hate relationship going on.
Apr 5, 2012 11:27 AM

Dec 2010
Kayro said:
Haven't seen any Lupin in over 10 years, but this was seriously good! I especially liked the art style.
Also, I'm surprised the director of this series is a woman, considering the amount of fanservice shown.

If you read the original manga of Monkey Punch, the girls are pratically naked all the time. :D

The late 70 green jacket Lupin was the more close ot the manga, i'm happy they do another serie of this version, the red and pink jacket are more anime original and are for kiddos, this one if for a mature audience and infact is much better and mature. :)

Tl;dr green Lupin in the best and close of the manga, rest sucks, movies included.
Apr 5, 2012 11:47 AM

Feb 2008
Great start for a great show. It's the same stuff all over again, and I love it. One simply cannot dislike Mine and Lupin trolling each other constantly. Potential for the best show this season.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Apr 5, 2012 1:39 PM

Apr 2009
I'm impressed. I've seen a lot of Lupin and grown attached to the characters and voices and style. I was excited for this but I think my mind is blown, I did not expect it to be so awesome. This is going to be a fun ride. Bring on Goemon and Jigen!
Apr 5, 2012 3:53 PM

Feb 2011
That was absolutely amazing. Now I need to check out the older series as well.
Apr 5, 2012 4:29 PM

Jun 2009
This was my first Lupin experience. Very good stuff. Gorgeous artwork, great music, and amazing direction.

I picked it up based on the brand and the director (LOVED Michiko to Hatchin). Wasn't expecting something quite so stunning. A feast for the senses, really psyched for the other 12 eps now. This and Fate/Zero 2 will have me waiting with bated breath every week.
Apr 5, 2012 4:40 PM

Jan 2010
That was visually stunning, and the voice acting was lovely, too.
"My tables-meet it is I set it down
That one may smile, and smile, and be a villain."
Apr 5, 2012 4:41 PM
Mar 2011
NavyCherub said:
the voice acting was lovely, too.

GTFO
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Apr 5, 2012 4:51 PM

Jan 2009
I need to watch the other Lupin shows too, because this was great!
Apr 5, 2012 5:02 PM

Apr 2009
NavyCherub said:
That was visually stunning, and the voice acting was lovely, too.

The old voices are much better, but I guess I'll get used to the new cast.
Apr 5, 2012 5:02 PM

Jun 2010
All animes should be like this! goddammit! What a great start.
Apr 5, 2012 5:08 PM

Jan 2010
Enjolras1830 said:
GTFO

I expected as much.
Apr 5, 2012 5:09 PM
Mar 2011
NavyCherub said:
Enjolras1830 said:
GTFO

I expected as much.

Meaning

Apr 5, 2012 5:12 PM

Jan 2010
Enjolras1830 said:
Meaning

No matter how good something is, there will be backlash if it's different from how it was before.
Apr 5, 2012 5:15 PM
Mar 2011
NavyCherub said:
Enjolras1830 said:
Meaning

No matter how good something is, there will be backlash if it's different from how it was before.

they had ifr t of the man four the id say people in the top 20 Seiyuu and the best Lupin is dead and can never be fully replaced

Apr 5, 2012 5:26 PM
Dec 2007
missdeep said:
That was an absolute visual feast (unsurprising given the staff involved).

Hell yeah, Yamamoto and Koike together for the animation/direction is just insane, and Sato x Okada at the script is quite terrifying also. This first episode was visually stunning and extremely entertaining too while retaining its old school (and carnal) characteristics. Must watch for me.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Apr 5, 2012 5:28 PM

Jun 2009
Damn, this really was something else. I'm unfamiliar with Lupin universe, heard this is a prequel to shitload of other of these works so i could watch it just like that, and i'm happy to have done that.
I like how the series is so mature about whole "fanservice", it works well to show how Mine Fujiko is all about using her body and sexappeal to obtain things she wants. On the other hand it's pleasant to the eye, so who would not like it?
Speaking of eye-pleasing things, the old artstyle mixed with new animation, shadow effects and all this makes it look so damn good. I love how this episode looked and hope this series won't drop in quality, and as it's only 13 episodes long it shouldn't.

I see it's a seson of ressurections, first Saint Seiya after 25 years, now Lupin after 27. Too bad i never saw any of Lupin series, it would be sure to feel nostalgic making it even better, Even Saint Seiya Omega felt nostalgic and i kinda liked the 1st episode mostly due to this factor, as it in itself was pretty meh.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Apr 5, 2012 5:55 PM

Aug 2007
Absolutely breathtaking. This is amazing.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

octal9 - Apr 19, 2012

57 by TheCrimsonEye »»
Feb 8, 2:10 PM

Poll: » Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

dbaranyi - Apr 11, 2012

65 by TheCrimsonEye »»
Feb 8, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

m0xxxy - Jun 28, 2012

83 by removed-user »»
Jan 23, 3:23 AM

Poll: » Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

busterbeam - May 9, 2012

57 by St0rmblade »»
Dec 1, 2023 2:38 PM

Poll: » Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna Episode 7 Discussion

dbaranyi - May 16, 2012

49 by zelfron12 »»
Jul 2, 2023 2:25 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.