Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 9, 2012 6:03 AM
Nov 2011
Basically, does it? If you were to research the subject, you would probably find that it is not queer for people to be in a relationship where there is an age gap. Personally, I don't think there is a problem with a big age gap in a relationship. However, having said that, I have to wonder what on earth a 16-year-old girl and a 50-year-old man have in common. He may be a stud, the best lover ever, but how would a young girl know that. She wouldn't have had so many sexual partners that she would be able to assess him like that. Would she?

We all have different ideas as to what is acceptable to us. We don't choose who we fall in love with, it just happens. So how can we choose what age the person we fall in love with should be?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 9, 2012 6:04 AM

Oct 2011
Basically, it does.
I see dead people.
Mar 9, 2012 6:15 AM
Jul 2018
I can't really answer that as I can't generalize about it. Each person is different and why and how they love is singular to each of them.

All I can say is that it's very common in my family.
Most of my brothers married women who were about 10/20 years older than them.
My sis married a guy who was 12 years older than her.
My mom married my dad who is 11 years older than her.
I did date for many years a guy who was 6 years older than me (I met him when I was 14 and he was 20).

Also, not dating, but my best friend is a bit more than 10 years older than me and I adore him tremendously.

All those persons have things in common and were/are very happy together.

Some people mature earlier than others. Some people have a wider culture than others (hence having more things in common with someone older/younger).
So... *shrugs* I don't really see how it could matter. :)
Mar 9, 2012 6:29 AM

Jul 2010
If someone is intelligent and capable at 20, they will likely by intelligent, capable, and experienced at 50, not to mention materially stable, and might easily make for better partners at the older age, with the obvious drawbacks of shorter remaining lifespan and likely being less physically attractive (which is important, especially at the start). Aside from the lifespan problem, most intelligent and capable persons settle in long before they get old, so choosing someone much older is risky.

Anyway, assuming both partners are responsible adults (i.e. 18+ years of age, although some remain mindless sheep even at 30), it's their own choice and they're free to weigh the drawbacks against the advantages. I don't believe in love, so it's all about rational choice from my standpoint.

So yeah, age does matter, a lot. It isn't all negative though.
Mar 9, 2012 6:35 AM

Feb 2009
Anything past 5 years various starts screwing up conversations.

You won't be having sex all the time, the rest of the time you need to be interacting with the person.

All the music, the movies, the games, the books, the events, places been, cool expressions, it changes during time.

I was a teen in the early 70s, and as a result, all of my teen experiences were from then. Soooo regardless of how great a fuck a girl born in the 90s might be, the moment I get out of bed I won't have anything in common with her.

It's hard enough finding people MY age that have my interests, I can't see the attraction of a person that simply won't have any connection with my entire life.

Granted some age ranges have a lot in common. Anything between 25 and 35 is about the same. Anything between 30 and 50 is about the same. Anything from 40 to 65 is about the same.
But 16 aka legal in some countries or 20 and anything past 50 is likely more likely to be stupid.
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
Mar 9, 2012 6:36 AM

Dec 2009
no person over 18 should date anyone under 16. That's all there is.
Mar 9, 2012 6:43 AM

Mar 2012
Of course it doesn't, that's exactly why the age of consent should be dropped down to 8 years old so I can finally have that loli waifu I've always wanted.
Mar 9, 2012 7:28 AM
Jul 2018
Kuramii said:

For that man to claim that he loves her, he should let her go. Because he has a huge percentage of his life, whilst hers has only really just begun. He'd be a burden on her life, without her probably realising.. because if they were to have children in the future, she'd be left to look after both the father in his very old age, and a child.

My eldest sister contracted a leucemia at 14 years old. Not only her life span was extremely shorten by that but because of the chemo she couldn't have a child either.
Was it selfish of her to want to stay with the man she loved?
She eventually died at 18 years, while being engaged to her boyfriend. He truly loved her and needed many many many years before being able to date again.
Still, if I were asking him today if he regretted it, if my sister was a "burden" to him because her lifespan was short, I'm sure at 100% he would say no.

Seriously, dudes, don't mix logic to that matter...
Mar 9, 2012 7:29 AM

Oct 2009
I think to some degree, yes it does matter.

Thinking of how there has been a 16 year old girl in high school who dated a man in his early 70's, that is wrong. Very wrong.

I know some will disagree, because two people who love each other should be able to be together but when it's to that amount of age gap, it just feels very wrong.

For that man to claim that he loves her, he should let her go. Because he has a huge percentage of his life, whilst hers has only really just begun. He'd be a burden on her life, without her probably realising.. because if they were to have children in the future, she'd be left to look after both the father in his very old age, and a child.

I'm not sure what would be the widest age gap that I see as the limit, but when it's an old gramps and a young girl in highschool dating. No, that's sick.
Mar 9, 2012 7:33 AM

Oct 2009
Liloute said:

My eldest sister contracted a leucemia at 14 years old. Not only her life span was extremely shorten by that but because of the chemo she couldn't have a child either.
Was it selfish of her to want to stay with the man she loved?
She eventually died at 18 years, while being engaged to her boyfriend. He truly loved her and needed many many many years before being able to date again.
Still, if I were asking him today if he regretted it, if my sister was a "burden" to him because her lifespan was short, I'm sure at 100% he would say no.

Seriously, dudes, don't mix logic to that matter...

I see that as a different matter.

From a person who has lived through their life (potentially already having had children, wives, etc) it just seems unfair to me that someone would choose to deprive someone else from that.

I'm very sorry to hear of that story, and perhaps I would be more sensitive on this matter if I had experienced such a saddening experience too. I don't think your sister was selfish for sticking with the man that she loved, and I am glad too that he stuck by her.
Mar 9, 2012 7:35 AM

Nov 2011
Age does matter to some extent, as said above, a 16 year old dating a 70 year old is pretty weird(because the 16 year old is kind of underage). But besides that I don't really judge couples by age difference. As long as anyone isn't underage I can't judge them.

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Mar 9, 2012 7:38 AM
Jul 2018
Kuramii said:

From a person who has lived through their life (potentially already having had children, wives, etc) it just seems unfair to me that someone would choose to deprive someone else from that.

I'm very sorry to hear of that story, and perhaps I would be more sensitive on this matter if I had experienced such a saddening experience too. I don't think your sister was selfish for sticking with the man that she loved, and I am glad too that he stuck by her.

I understand the "unfairness" part, but then again I believe that if you really love someone, you should never, in no way, take decisions for them and decide what is good or not for them.
As long as the two people are adult enough to take their own decisions, it's their choice and no one else's.
I personally would hate having a guy rejecting me because he thinks my life with him won't be fair. I'm the one deciding whom I love and whom I want to take care of. Whether it's fair or not, whether it's a mistake or not, that decision belongs to me and not him. Ever. :)
Mar 9, 2012 7:40 AM

Jun 2007
if there's grass on the field, play ball.
Mar 9, 2012 7:42 AM

Jun 2009
Yes it does.

Love is strange after all, but if you're per say 16 and someone who is over 20 likes you, there's a major problem.

Stick within your age group until you're old enough to realize and recognize what you're getting yourself into, if not, prepare for the backlash and don't blame nobody but yourself.
Mar 9, 2012 7:55 AM

Oct 2009
Liloute said:

I personally would hate having a guy rejecting me because he thinks my life with him won't be fair. I'm the one deciding whom I love and whom I want to take care of. Whether it's fair or not, whether it's a mistake or not, that decision belongs to me and not him. Ever. :)

I hadn't thought of it in that way. That's a very good point! especially that I can relate to this. As with my relationship, I've chosen to be with my boyfriend, and him to bring up not being good enough or anything similar (for any matter).. that's upsetting. Especially if he thought that way so much that he wanted to end the relationship.

That would be actually heartbreaking.. on top of losing them through something they decided on their own, it's also like you had no choice in the matter. That would be absolutely awful.
09890Mar 9, 2012 8:02 AM
Mar 9, 2012 12:27 PM

Apr 2011
A lot of the times it does. Depending on weather or not they are having sex is the problem. If they're both adults, whatever.
Mar 9, 2012 12:43 PM

Dec 2007
Problem is with younger people having a relationship with people that are much older than them, is not only their common interests. It's also the experiences in life. People tend to be blinded by love and make stupid decisions. I'm not judging those who truly love their partner, despite of the (huge) age gap. It's just that it's wrong because the younger person usually doesn't know any better, while the older person does.

Not to mention that any old person likes a guy or girl with a smooth and nice shape, especially when it comes to the sex. There are a lot of 50~ish year old people (usually men) that would like someone around the 25 (usually women).

I have nothing against people with an age gap in their relationship. There are some things you should consider yourself before getting started with someone where there is quite an age gap. +/- 5-10 years (16+) it shouldn't be too much of a problem since you're still about the same generation of people.
Mar 9, 2012 12:51 PM

Feb 2012
Finally, a topic I probably will not take part in serious discussion in.

There are just too many variables in play when it comes to answering that question that I'd rather not write a wall of text explaining what scenarios it's "wrong" in and what scenarios it's "okay" in.

I will say this though: The reasons behind our actions are what defines the action and it's level of integrity and "genuity".

hugsxoxo
/rofl
"I will close my eyes and let the darkness be the light that guides me through the path of chaos"

Call me the Jelly Factory. I'm the world's largest producer of jelly.
Mar 9, 2012 2:27 PM

Feb 2010
Mental age or physical age? :P
Mar 9, 2012 5:01 PM
Mar 2010

I don't know why anyone would have a problem with this :S

Livin' my life by dividing my age by 2 & then + 7. If they're younger, it's mathematically proven that it's going to fail........
mylovelyfateMar 9, 2012 6:02 PM

"It's just...a bad dream! Wake up, wake up...!"
Mar 9, 2012 5:16 PM

Feb 2012
mylovelyfate said:

I don't know why anyone would have a problem with this :S

Livin' my life by dividing my age + 7. If they're younger, it's mathematically proven that it's going to fail........

Chick looks too old for 16 that it takes away the loli-factor.

So what's the point?

I'm jk.
"I will close my eyes and let the darkness be the light that guides me through the path of chaos"

Mar 9, 2012 5:21 PM

Dec 2010
mylovelyfate said:
Livin' my life by dividing my age + 7. If they're younger, it's mathematically proven that it's going to fail........

I assume you mean divide by 2, rather than 3 or by itself? :P
Mar 9, 2012 5:22 PM

Apr 2008
Well my dad is married to someone who is 35 years older than he is, she is 27 and my dad is 62. So I have a stepmother who is a year older than me, according to my father they have so much in common...right......They are pretty much using each other, she sees dollar signs and my dad, well I am pretty sure you can guess what he sees....lol.
SevenMar 9, 2012 5:27 PM
Mar 9, 2012 5:27 PM

Feb 2012
Abbyrose said:
Well my dad is married to someone who is 35 years older than he is...she is 27 and my dad is 62. So I have a stepmother who is a year older than me, according to my father they have so much in common...right......They are pretty much using each other, she sees dollar signs and my dad, well I am pretty sure you can guess what he sees....lol.

Don't hate on your dad's swagger =d.

Mar 9, 2012 6:00 PM
Mar 2010
Jack_Rav said:
mylovelyfate said:

I assume you mean divide by 2, rather than 3 or by itself? :P
Lol yeah :P I'll be editing that to make it more clear ~

"It's just...a bad dream! Wake up, wake up...!"
Mar 9, 2012 6:06 PM

Sep 2011
To an extent obviously. The "age is just a number" saying only works to some point. lol
Mar 9, 2012 6:11 PM

Apr 2010
Not really. If they like each other and have things in common then sure why not. Not every relationship is about shoving wieners into slockets.
Mar 10, 2012 12:09 AM

May 2010
Hmm, nobody mentioned however that it's quite possible maybe the person who is attracted to someone a lot older also has some family issues. Like a girl who grew up in a family without a father or with a bad relationship with her father might tend to be attracted to older men and same goes for boys. Now I'm not saying that that is always true or that it's a fact, but I have come across such occasions so it is probable. Like the younger person might seek some kind of parental guidance of some sort but not be old enough to fully understand what it is they're seeking.In that case it's the adult that should be wise and step back but we all know that doesn't always stand true.
As for whether it matters it really depends on the person and the mind state they're in. Myself as an example; I usually tend to get along better with people older than I, hence I'm usually attracted to men that are older like 6 or 10 years or so. "shrug" it's a tough call really.
Mar 10, 2012 12:36 AM

May 2010
just depends, if either is a teenager, then it's just teenage love, nothing more, waste of time. mature adults, it's all good to an extent obviously, like it'll last.
Mar 10, 2012 1:39 AM

Mar 2012
Age doesn't really matter at some cases. If you're in love with someone then it's not bad. But the age for marriage matters.
Mar 10, 2012 1:46 AM

Jan 2012
it will matter on a 3rd person's view. can't say much between the lovers since i never dated anyone with significant age difference before.
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
Mar 10, 2012 1:53 AM

Dec 2009
yes, but it depends
because some are just plain creepy!

13 w/ 30? NO!
16 w/ 40? NO!
Mar 10, 2012 9:47 AM

Nov 2011
After they both are above the age of an adult, I would say it shouldn't matter.
<!--link--><a href="http://myanimelist.net/profile/DarkAlastor">

Mar 10, 2012 2:50 PM
Jul 2018
I think it depends on where you are in life. If you're still in high school, then 1 or 2 years can make a huge difference, where as in uni it's more like 3 or 4, once you're out of school, then I think it doesn't matter as much. But people dating other people with more than a 7 year age gap sort of creeps me out.
Mar 11, 2012 9:34 AM

Jan 2012
It really doesn't matter to me, my cousin is 25 and marrying a 35 year old with 5 kids.
Mar 11, 2012 2:21 PM

Apr 2008
Bloodcalibur said:
Abbyrose said:
Well my dad is married to someone who is 35 years older than he is...she is 27 and my dad is 62. So I have a stepmother who is a year older than me, according to my father they have so much in common...right......They are pretty much using each other, she sees dollar signs and my dad, well I am pretty sure you can guess what he sees....lol.

Don't hate on your dad's swagger =d.

I guess if you've got it, then you might as well flaunt it. It's funny though because he shaved his mustache to try and make himself look younger. I have never seen him without it before, but it just makes him look a lot older without the mustache lol. At least he shaved his rat tail off for her though...
SevenMar 11, 2012 2:35 PM
Mar 11, 2012 3:32 PM

Jun 2011
Age difference formula:

x > y / 2 + 7
x = chicks age; y = Bro's age

simply, i am 21m, so i can date a girl between 17.5 and 21

if i was 50m, between 32 and 50
Mar 11, 2012 3:42 PM

Oct 2011
To an extent and I haven't really had any much experience much so I can't say!
Mar 11, 2012 4:09 PM

Mar 2011
Age does matter because I don't want to be stuck with a dependent that will siphon my patience and my money. The more independent and fully functional you are the better. While most men want them young I don't really care long as they're pretty and not too much older then me.
Mar 11, 2012 4:10 PM

Feb 2012
Pocketasces said:
Age difference formula:

x > y / 2 + 7

Your opinion.

Mar 11, 2012 4:19 PM

Jun 2011
Bloodcalibur said:
Pocketasces said:
Age difference formula:

x > y / 2 + 7

Your opinion.

Yes that is my opinion.. well observed :)
Mar 11, 2012 5:01 PM

Mar 2011
Pocketasces said:

He should be a detective.
Mar 11, 2012 5:07 PM

Feb 2012
Svard said:
Pocketasces said:

He should be a detective.

Some say I'm better than Bruce Wayne.

Mar 11, 2012 5:35 PM

Mar 2012
To an extent. It's certainly a factor in considering the other person as a mate, but it's not something so important that it determines whether a relationship will occur.
Cogito ergo sum.
Mar 11, 2012 5:42 PM

Jun 2008
Serious large age gaps are rare, so obviously age matters for most people out there.

But it isn't exactly age per se that is the problem, it is the other factors that come along with it: difference in generation, difference in physical appearance, difference in perceived stereotypes of people. There's also some sex-specific differences like the optimal age for woman to be pregnant, for one.

As one becomes older, age and all the qualities that age brings with it matter little. It is more common to see couples with a decade in age gaps in people in their 60s and 70s than people in their 20s and 30s.

On a side note, can't seem to concentrate on forum posts lately, so this post of mine is probably useless and doesn't contribute to the topic at hand.
Mar 11, 2012 5:54 PM

Feb 2012
It does matter if the difference between both ages are huge. And also matters if the girl/boy is like 11 and the other girl/boy is 14 or more.
Mar 11, 2012 6:11 PM

May 2011
It all depends on one's maturity and how one deals with people. That's a major (if not the most important) factor that determines the success or failure of any relationship.

The reason that people don't usually approve of teenagers or young adults dating others decades older than them is the gap in maturity. Most teenagers are naive, easily influenced, and pretty inexperienced, even if they don't admit it themselves, so it's not hard for them to be taken advantage of or find themselves unable to maintain a serious relationship because they're still developing mentally/emotionally.

I can't say anything about the older person of the couple, because honestly, I can't see why they'd want to put up with someone like that. But if they can, and they find that being with that younger person is enjoyable, then that's their case. Even if they have ulterior motives, that's also their case. I just don't see what they could really share with a person decades younger than them with so much less life experience and such, generally speaking. There're always exceptions.

I personally don't have a problem with it, but I can't help thinking it'll (most) always fail. If neither person has a problem with it, they can do what they want. It's their relationship, and it has nothing to do with me.
Mar 11, 2012 6:41 PM
Jan 2012
It all depends on your own personal opinion towards this. People can tell you dating someone older is wrong, and say dating someone younger is acceptable or it can simply be the opposite idea.

It really just depends on how you feel towards the situation.

In my honest opinion for the most part I don't care what other people relationship statuses are like so I don't get into there business. I personally would not date anyone that is older then me by 5-7 years or younger than me by 3-5 years. Of course at the very moment since I am 18, by society it would not be acceptable for me to be with someone younger unless approval by the parents.
Mar 11, 2012 6:45 PM

Mar 2011
Ya
Mar 11, 2012 8:54 PM

Apr 2009
I would have to say yes. I have a classmate (16) of mine who was once dating this 25 year old man, who literally could pass as a 40 year old dad. And another classmate (17) that wanted to date this guy who was married and was supposedly getting a divorce sometime soon. She even told my teacher about it which wasn't a good idea. These are way over the boundary. If one wants to date someone younger or older, the least you could do is be smart about it.
Personally, I would date someone at least 2 years younger or 3 years older than me. In this young age of mine. lolololol
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.