Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Feb 12, 2012 12:09 PM

Dec 2009
This episode was freaking amazing. I didn't expect to like this at all after last weeks average shit. But the BRS world fights were incredible.

5/5
Feb 12, 2012 12:25 PM

Mar 2010
This episode was much better than the first one. Although the plot still feels to be a little... uh... for 10 year olds. What pisses me off is that so far we saw NO adult acting at least a little bit responsible. The teacher tells the kids that suffering is alright and they shouldn't mind? Yomi's mom tells Matou that Kagari wants Yomi around so its alright when she literally tortures her and Yomi HAS TO stay around her inside the house all the time? Kagari's parents don't mind that their child hasn't seen sun for who knows how long? There are either too many idiotic parents in Japan or too many of crazy plot devices.

Not to menton that the other world feels more and more like something forced to fit into the silly story. The fighting scenes make less and less sense and they make me think that the creators threw in random interesting stuff not looking at a bigger picture. I mean, if it's just metaphorical world that mirrors what happens in real world then what the hell is Black Gold Saw doing there? If it isn't, BRS should have been dead about 3 times yet she keeps fighting as if nothing was going on. Is there a single thing that makes sense in this anime?
Feb 12, 2012 2:36 PM

Aug 2011
Such an improvement from last week, nice to see some plot development there.

As always, the otherworld fight sequences were breathtaking, especially when BRS got the minigun out. Really love the fantasy designs of all the characters, I could watch them in action all day.

Very interested in watching more now, damn shame it's not at least 12 eps.
Feb 12, 2012 3:33 PM

Nov 2007
Wait.. so who's Black Rock Shooter?

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Feb 12, 2012 8:26 PM

Feb 2010
Ahmer said:
the only thing i hate from those scenes are Kagari saying "KAERE" so bloody annoying !

See that just scares me, a ton.

So, I'm starting to like this show, though I don't like the fact that they put glasses on Dead Master. Not as cute.

But the whole thing with Kagari was really...interesting, to say the least. Pretending to be an invalid? That's entering evil. Still, its interesting to see a wheelchair character who isn't moe.
Feb 12, 2012 8:40 PM

Feb 2009
Completely shocked. Decided to watch this show after seeing a good review on Randomc after planning to never touch it, and... I really enjoy it a lot.
Feb 12, 2012 9:52 PM

Jun 2009
I'm almost sure this isn't right but I think BGS could be Arata though I have no reason to believe that other than she's the only other character that's been present and STR is Yuu. For BGS to be that guidance counselor seems a little odd but w/e we'll see.
Feb 12, 2012 11:04 PM

May 2011
Kinda interesting, hope it does a better job than that y-merry show
Feb 13, 2012 5:09 AM

Sep 2011
AL19 said:
Kagari is on my nerves now! >[

same
Feb 13, 2012 6:39 AM

Aug 2010
Not too much of an improvement, the melodrama weighs it down. Watching it for YomixMato and the other world scenes, those are absolutely awesome. 3/5.
Feb 13, 2012 9:13 AM

Aug 2011
Didn't like the OVA or episode 1 but I thought this ep was great. I'm guessing the parrel world reflects the pain they feel emotionally or something like that which is why the characters always have a cold emotionless face on as they are rapidly beat up by spikey weapons.
Feb 13, 2012 11:02 AM

Dec 2009
OMGEH! I like the even darker feel of the extended series. The parallel events in the other world are eye-tastic. Favorite part of the episode:
Feb 13, 2012 3:21 PM

Jan 2009
kelken said:
I'm almost sure this isn't right but I think BGS could be Arata though I. For BGS to be that guidance counselor seems a little odd but w/e we'll see.

It can't be Arata. Here are 3 pictures of the next episodes preview:

Other World:
LadyOrihimeFeb 13, 2012 3:25 PM
Feb 13, 2012 3:27 PM

Jul 2009
A very interesting ep - we don't see too much of psycological illnesses; little blonde gorl is definetely interesting.
The alternate dimention is still highly confusing; I like it.

Feb 13, 2012 8:50 PM

Jan 2012
I love this. The symbolisms and the drama... Is amazing. There is simply nothing else like this.
Feb 14, 2012 12:17 AM

Jan 2012
Black Rock Shooter - where you learn a new color every week.
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
Feb 14, 2012 12:18 AM

Jun 2010
xxangelchanxx said:
wtf happened at the end.

Srsly. What the fudge happened.
Btw Nice ending, Supercell is awesome as always \m/ But I wonder who did the vocals?
Feb 14, 2012 1:53 AM
Nov 2007
Tenchio said:
Okay, this series has some of the worst drama ever. God, so silly.
Thank you, at least I'm not the only one feeling this way.
Feb 14, 2012 1:54 AM
Nov 2007
FatherAnderson said:
Fuck it. I can't watch this anymore. The drama is unbearably bad and the fights cannot make up for it.
Yup!
Feb 14, 2012 5:48 AM

Jun 2009
mikado34 said:
Bouum said:
How is it that Kagari can't move her leg anymore ? She was standing at the top of the stair and choose to fell down and then standing on her bed screaming and jumping in rage... That bitch was lying or what... !?

I don't quite get the ending...
What the fuck hapenned to Kagari for her to smile!... I'm talking out the Real World here, she didn't lose her head obliviously lol.

Here is my take on Kagari: Little Yomi and her mother were supposed to transfer somewhere and little Kagari was hit by a car when chasing after them. Yomi stayed by her friend's side because of pity and guilt and Kagari found out that if she acted pityful, she could force Yomi to stay forever. It became her obsession. She fakes being cripple even the doctors told her legs where fine. It turns out that it is the darkness and loneliness in her heart that make her sick (Chariot). Also staying at home and never come out for years can drive you crazy. She says it herself; she's scared to go outside and meet new people, she must be afraid that no one will accept her.

Chariot losing her head would mean the destruction of Kagai's inner demon, the hatred towards people who gets near Yomi. My guess is that she'll finally stop faking being cripple. Hopefully she'll be able to overcome her flaws and become a better person.

My thoughts exactly ^_^

Another thing though... Where are the nurses and doctors? Seem like they can scream all they want in a hospital?!?!

-MgZ_ said:
xxangelchanxx said:
wtf happened at the end.

Btw Nice ending, Supercell is awesome as always m/ But I wonder who did the vocals?

Sound like Koeda(One of Supercell's new vocal)
AirStylesFeb 14, 2012 5:52 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 14, 2012 7:58 AM

Oct 2011
-MgZ_ said:
xxangelchanxx said:
wtf happened at the end.

Btw Nice ending, Supercell is awesome as always m/ But I wonder who did the vocals?

Sound like Koeda(One of Supercell's new vocal)

Koeda and Chelly were only used for Guilty Crown. They go back to Nagi for this.
"Evidently... There's no such thing as 'meaning' in this world. But that in itself is wonderful... isn't it? Since if there isn't a set meaning, then you can just find one on your own."
- Filicia Heideman, So Ra No Wo To
Feb 14, 2012 10:18 AM

Dec 2010
Can someone PLEASE kill Kagari already? FFS.

Feb 14, 2012 5:52 PM
Jul 2018
Wow. This episode was incredibly stupid.

It's a shame. I loved the OVA, the first episode was *okay* ... but holy crap. The characters are extremely annoying and unlikable. BUT! I will keep watching in the hopes that it gets better.

Otherwise its terrible IMO.
Feb 15, 2012 4:49 AM

Apr 2009
One thing that the TV series has presented so far is that the other world is a dream world. This was rather unresolved in the OVA version. Not to mention Black Gold Saw's identity.

The drama does look forced here, though. Things could be better. Then again, it's not like the writers have much to work with aside from some nice original character designs (which were modified to my dismay). Plus, there are only the very unusual and short total of 8 episodes to work with. It might be a good or bad thing depending on where you stand in this polarizing show.

Kagari is highly obsessed and very possessive of Yomi. It is clear that she has major issues, so far as to have even adults bending to her whims. I hope this episode wraps up this particular segment of the story, with Chariot's symbolic defeat to BRS. It was somewhat unsettling to hear my favorite VA play the role of a disturbed antagonist.

What I was really looking forward to since the beginning was Black Gold Saw's identity, however. And where is Dead Master's iconic scythe? I sure hope it's not one detail they simply cut out of this... she was much more impressive in the OVA with it.
Feb 15, 2012 8:57 AM
Jun 2008
Funny how people differ in opinion. Have to say, i really like it.

Can somehow relate to people hating the drama because its kind off hard to take serious. The characters are in junior high and they make it seem like 'playing with your friends' is the ultimate thing in life. However when you think back to when you were at that age, its 'playing with your friends' which is the most important thing in life, hehe. Those were good times:P But this episode also showed a real relevant emotion, namely jealousy.

The thing thats a bit weird with this anime is the fact that the audience who could relate the best to the characters here (children around 12 years old) probably wont watch it because of the gore.

Whats interesting is how the feelings in this 'slice of life' anime are depicted in really hardcore action. I'm just mindlessly enjoying that:P

Well too bad for the people who hate it, i find it atm the most interesting anime out there.
reaghtFeb 15, 2012 2:25 PM
Feb 15, 2012 2:54 PM
Dec 2011
My favorite thing in all of this are the fighting scenes. I just love BRS attitude.
Okay, the plot here isnt really bad but still doesnt convince me. The wheelchair girl drives me nuts plus yomis attitude on her.. gosh
I dunno I feel like drama is used for every little thing that happens. I cant help to feel that mato over reacts to anything.
Yeah maybe they're 12 years old and so but ive seen smarter chars of this age in anime..
this episode was pretty good because yomi finally understood its plain stupid to be sort of a slave to that girl. And that heart scar is just terrible... did she really let the wheelchair gal to do that to her? gosh
anyway yeah, I think im gonna continue watching the anime bc im a fan of BRS and I really want to see how this turns out, despite the flaws.
my humble opinion..
Feb 15, 2012 3:37 PM

Dec 2011
Can I just say, I think it's pretty obvious that BGS is that counselor. I mean, all of the alter-egos of the girls are almost identical to them (except for the clothers, lenght of the hair, etc.), and BGS is identical to the counselor except for the long hair.
Feb 15, 2012 7:14 PM

Mar 2011
I absolutely don't care about what people who didn't get that fights are s a metaphor may think, but to me the anime is awesome like this. I like it way better this way rather than with traditionnal fights, it's fresh. Moreover, some changes during the story would not surprise me (look at umineko if you want an example), even if I hope that this will stay the same.

And the "meta-concept" is really good, it reminds me of Umineko, again. Seeing DM chained while Kuroi did her speech was DEFINITELY more interesting than a stupid scene with her talking and that's it.
The only confusing things right now are things that are going to be explained in the next episode, given the preview. Not the best anime of this season, but it is definitely worth watching.

(And I personally love metaphorical fights WAY MORE than your traditionnal shounen fight. If I want a "stupid" shounen about classical battles, the big 3 is waiting for me. Something more about thinking and symbolism isn't bad, once in a while.
Plus, this and the tarot motifs give a LOT of room for interpretation of what wwill happen, which is a good thing.)

I didn't find it particularly irrealist either, if anything some adults are idiots. Which is also the case irl, sorry to break your dreams, everyone. Otherwise, I don't see any problem.

Just adding my little touch because I saw a lot of people compaining about the concept of the "dual worlds" and almost nobody defending it. It is really THE main thing of this anime for me.

(Also yeah, Kagari is a complete ... gjrthj,btrbu. And she looks way too much like Taiga. Except that Taiga is annoying but likable. Kagari is a...gkroigvj. But I guess that it's how the character is supposed to be.)

They didn't do a damn single thing, if anything Kagari should be the one to blame or her parents

That's what they call pity and guilt. Even if they are not the direct cause, without Yomi this wouldn't have happened. Of course Kagari is stupid and the only one at fault, but when you see it with your own eyes, it's different. She could have died. Try to put yourself in the characters' shoes. Yeah it's stupid, but not so unrealistic. People are like that sometimes, and ill-intentioned people definitely make use of it. Ever heard of people avoiding jail because they fake a psychological trauma IRL?

I love this. The symbolisms and the drama... Is amazing. There is simply nothing else like this.

There is, but you can see why there isn't a LOT of it; people apparently don't like it. It's a shame, really.

I think that the biggest problem is that people cannot accept that BRS is an half-SoL anime. Half SoL, half-action.

My opinion about the ending is the same as some other people; Kagari smile because she want to bring the counselor into this in order to help her to "keep" Yomi. Probably by playing the pitiful girl card again or something. Look at the opening, in the "circle" scene, her blade is directed toward Black when she tries to dispose on Chariot.
This would be funny since she was clearly showed as a "nice" character in ep 1 and 2.
willardhwrightFeb 15, 2012 8:10 PM
Feb 15, 2012 8:57 PM

Jan 2010
willardhwright said:
I absolutely don't care about what people who didn't get that fights are s a metaphor may think, but to me the anime is awesome like this. I like it way better this way rather than with traditionnal fights, it's fresh. Moreover, some changes during the story would not surprise me (look at umineko if you want an example), even if I hope that this will stay the same.

I think that the biggest problem is that people cannot accept that BRS is an half-SoL anime. Half SoL, half-action.

My opinion about the ending is the same as some other people; Kagari smile because she want to bring the counselor into this in order to help her to "keep" Yomi. Probably by playing the pitiful girl card again or something. Look at the opening, in the "circle" scene, her blade is directed toward Black when she tries to dispose on Chariot.
This would be funny since she was clearly showed as a "nice" character in ep 1 and 2.

I agreed. Rather than being a typical anime just trying to cash in with the name, BRS, like many people say, this anime is trying to be an art house. The visual draws out the parallel world with the characters struggling in the other world plus the music really amplifies the story, which bring me to another point where I feel modern day animes lost its charm.

Today, I feel all animes solely rely on dialogue to tell their story. Gundam, Amagami, Clannad, and etc. Of course, those animes are some of my favorites, but it is so overused these days. for example

someone is being depressed, let's have a flashback why he has became that way
someone dies, let's explain why this is happening

not only on anime, but it also applies to hollywood movies. I missed the day when movies (such as 2001 space odyssey, the shining, psycho) and anime (such as cowboy bebop) don't rely on dialogue, but used visual and action to portray their characteristic and the story.
polke45Feb 15, 2012 9:00 PM
Feb 16, 2012 1:56 PM

Dec 2009
From Episode 1, I never really liked the counselor. In fact, I have been suspicious of her. Her counseling seems kind of ridiculous(ex: Someone else is taking the pain for you) and makes the person's situation worse. I believe she does her seemingly comforting talks to get the person into deeper crap so they will keep coming to her counseling sessions and the cycle repeats itself, thus letting the counselor keep her job.
DallySkyeFeb 16, 2012 8:15 PM
Feb 17, 2012 9:35 AM

Jul 2009
I want to like this, I really do, but the fact that people in this universe apparently think the correct way to deal with a girl who has an unhealthy obsession and destructive relationship with someone that leads to both of them getting hurt (both physically and mentally) is to just let her do whatever she wants pushes my suspension of disbelief to the point at which I find it very difficult.
If any of my posts seem odd, it's probably because I'm tired. Sorry. I have sleeping issues.
Feb 18, 2012 1:31 PM
Jan 2012
I don't know why but i think the story of this animie is not clear :/
Feb 23, 2012 7:17 PM

Feb 2008
Melodrama and crazy bitches - the anime.
Feb 24, 2012 5:19 PM

May 2011
What the hell happened at the end? Sudden silence, Yomi crying and Kaguri in the other world gets her head sliced off. Made me think Kaguri actually died in the real world. -.- This drama is just so exaggerated lol. Mato and Yomi is sorta getting annoying to me. When Kaguri smiles, she actually looks pretty cute, hope the ending just meant that she's changed.

I like watching the other world though.
Feb 25, 2012 9:43 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
Veronin said:
Melodrama and crazy bitches - the anime.

^This anime.

Still entertaining to listen to bitches yelling at each other though. Or cutting each others head off.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Feb 25, 2012 2:16 PM
Jun 2011
I will never understand how you could shoot so many macaroons out of a cannon.
Feb 27, 2012 5:01 AM

Oct 2011
was not terribly impressed with episode one, but this one really was moving - i loved the way the drama was played out in parallel dream/reality - i can really relate to how one person can feed another's madness by pitying them and/or giving into their insanity - i've seen it happen many times to friends and relatives - this episode really got to me - wonderfully executed - can't wait to see what happens in episode 3!
Mar 4, 2012 5:56 AM

Apr 2009
Omniknight said:
What bothers me, aside from the over-simplistic plot, is that the battles, despite being very well done in terms of animation, don't make any sense at all. How does Black Rock Shooter not take ANY lasting damage from being run over by a giant spider mech and being impaled from front to back by its claws? How does she still run after being twisted by all those chains? How did that spider mech reform suddenly back to its original shape after BRS shot off its legs in the ending of the first episode? The battles scenes just end up being flashy fight scenes with no rhyme or reason to them... It also doesn't help the pacing that the battle scenes are shown for extremely short glimpses, which interrupts both the flow of the battles as well as the flow of the real world story. At least this episode, they gave us a few minutes of fighting uninterrupted, which was great.

Um, but they're not actual battles, right? I mean, it's about them being emotionally hurt and the emotional pain is physical for their other self. I don't exactly pay that much attnetion to the battles, but it could be like:
at the end of the first episode Mato asked Yomi to go to the festival and Yomi said yes -> the spider (Kagari) lost its legs because she felt Yomi drifting away from her. Then she managed to force her not to go, therefore the spider went back to its original state cause she thought she had control again.

I don't know, the battles make sense to me.
I'd just like to know wth happened in the end.
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Mar 4, 2012 9:00 PM

Mar 2010
The unfortunate and pitied. Well, at least it was a good episode. Looking forward to the next!
Mar 8, 2012 12:26 PM

Dec 2006
wtf? my God :/
please take kagari to a psychiatric hospital and continue with the brs I like please xD
no seriously, what a disgusting character -.-
Mar 14, 2012 10:34 PM

Sep 2008
Fuck yeah, more Mamiko Noto giving advice and coffee.
Best. Job. Ever.

Until the day a crazy bitch enters. She might have to choke them.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 15, 2012 5:02 PM
Mar 2010
Woah, really enjoyed this. In the ova i got the feeling the worlds where more separated than this, here it very much does seem to be a physical fight to reflect the metaphorical fight, which as an idea is something I like as well as what I thought the ova was.

BRS chopping the head off was ace.

Ending was a bit odd though O_o
Mar 25, 2012 1:03 AM
Feb 2009
The drama is very captivating and you can't help but feel like on the edge in the final scene where Mato confronts Kagari, but on the other hand, I liked it better in the OVA where the battles on the BRS-world were actually a part of the plot instead of just reenacting what happens IRL with more badassitude. I expected to see Mato transform into BRS. Looks like I was wrong...

Not bad though, the IRL parts were p. great and it was cool to see Yomi standing up to Kagari's bullshit. Also, the super spectacular battle scenes prevent this from becoming a straight-up chick flick.
Da_NukeMar 25, 2012 1:08 AM
Mar 25, 2012 8:01 PM

Jul 2010
what happened to her at the end, her yanderness all of a sudden stopped. i think thats scarier than the actual yandere mode. did she hit super yandere!?

Mar 26, 2012 12:57 AM

Sep 2011
Holy shit that's one fked up child.
Apr 3, 2012 5:01 AM

Oct 2009
The end was nice. I almost shit my pants from the amount of awesomeness.

AWWWWWWWWWWWW YEEEEEEEEEEEAH
あらあら。。。
Apr 5, 2012 3:56 PM

Aug 2010
This anime is horrible. Only going to keep watching it for the fight scenes. Might end up dropping it if it keeps getting shittier.
Apr 15, 2012 1:25 AM

Sep 2011
The action scenes have surely improved from the OVA, they are pretty awesome.
The circle between the rivals is obvious, though I'm still not sure who Black Gold Saw really is, maybe the counselor?
I like that the connection between the two worlds is way more obvious and that Mato is somewhat aware of it (dream).
Liking the story so far, let's see what comes out of it! :)
May 16, 2012 7:04 PM

Mar 2009
Yay! Another anime I can add to the "Why the fuck did this air on the Noitamina block?" list.
May 19, 2012 3:30 AM

Apr 2012
This anime has such a good concept. Now if only they could get some real emotional conflicted going rather than contrived bullshit I would be very happy. I really like the concept of these "battles" actually being manifestations of the emotions and psyches of the girl. The battles look cool as hell and unlike the OVA I can actually see the clear connection between the two sides. The battles are just metaphors for the girls working out emotional conflicts.

Sadly, Kagari and Yomi's relationship is so utterly ridiculous that I can't take take the real life side of things seriously. I could see Yomi feeling guilty for something that wasn't her fault but even her mother supports that obsessive kind of behavior? That is a load of bullshit.

Also, I'm not sure exactly what the hell the end of the episode was supposed to mean so I'm going to jump right into episode three to try and figure out what the decapitation meant. She smiled at the end so I think it means progress with her accepting that she needs to let go of Yomi a bit or at least to let someone else in but considering the level of obsession it all seems too fast.

This show has a lot of style and could be something special but so far it's bad execution of an interesting concept.
ItoukaijiMay 19, 2012 3:36 AM
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Black★Rock Shooter (TV) Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Mar 22, 2012

323 by removed-user »»
Jan 12, 4:57 AM

Poll: » Black★Rock Shooter (TV) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Paul - Feb 2, 2012

336 by Sawdustchunks »»
Oct 17, 2023 2:44 AM

Poll: » Black★Rock Shooter (TV) Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Feb 23, 2012

239 by Kiba_Senpai »»
Oct 7, 2023 4:00 PM

Poll: » Black★Rock Shooter (TV) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Mar 15, 2012

149 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 3, 2022 6:21 AM

Poll: » Black★Rock Shooter (TV) Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Mar 8, 2012

191 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 3, 2022 5:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.