Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 4, 2012 7:57 PM

Jun 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Pretty much exceeded all my expectations in every aspect. That beginning was very epic and unexpected.

Fukuen Misato is definitely the perfect choice for Miyuki's voice. And the OP + ED were quite nice as well. :9

All I can say is I can't wait for more! :9 Next week = Akane episode! Loved her in this episode (making Miyuki feel more at ease definitely made her win some points from me), so I am stoked for her debut as Cure Sunny!
Feb 4, 2012 8:45 PM

Nov 2008
+ insanely funny (Miyuki, Akane, and Candy are a mess)
+ The entire main cast (they are all down to earth and likable)
+ Embarrassing moments especially Miyuki ending up in every embarrassing situation allowed for a kids show. I bet Miyuki being teleported to a random location will be a nice running gag.
+ Yayoi and Candy (both are seriously adorable), Candy took a page out of Pokemon with her escape
+ Good use of enthusiasm to deliver the finishing move, it's perfect for Miyuki being so happy go lucky
+ Miyuki walking in the sky
+ Villain, that wolf is kinda cool
+ monster was ok as well

5/5 9/10

I hope the comedy will stay because it's one of the best parts of the series.

Feb 4, 2012 9:32 PM

Mar 2010

"..."

I liked how the show was full of down-to-earth humors that are enjoyable to even grown-ups like myself. It feels like there's nothing sacred about magical girls in this precure series. XD

Feb 4, 2012 9:49 PM

Apr 2010
Nice start. Miyuki seems to be a mix of Nozomi/Tsubomi.
Feb 4, 2012 10:00 PM

Dec 2007
Shining_Sword said:
Nice start. Miyuki seems to be a mix of Nozomi/Tsubomi.

This is what I was thinking too.

I have to agree with everyone about how hysterical it is. It's off to a great start. Can't wait to see Akane in action next week.
Feb 5, 2012 7:15 AM

Jun 2007
honya-chan said:
Can't wait to see Akane in action next week.

Well, since they did use the words "hot-blooded" to describe her...

I liked this episode quite a bit. It helps a lot that the villains look like they had a bit more thought put into them than the ones from suite.
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
Feb 5, 2012 7:51 AM
Jun 2008
Wow, I couldn't keep a straight face watching this episode since it was so funny and the characters have vibrant personalities. However, my only complaint about the series are the names of the Precure, but that can be overlooked. But seriously, Cure Happy, Sunny, Peace, March, and Beauty? (Is it a spoiler if it's in the ending?) Other than that, I think this may easily become my favorite.
Feb 5, 2012 8:41 AM

Apr 2009
Suddenly, a flying start.
And here I had abandoned all hope in advance, after the disappointment that Suite was.
Feb 5, 2012 10:28 AM

Aug 2010
Already better than Suite. Nice humor and a better theme for a kids show. I also like the character designs and hopefully they get all the precure together quickly.
Feb 5, 2012 11:32 AM

Apr 2011
honya-chan said:
Well, since they did use the words "hot-blooded" to describe her...

Cuz her powers are based on fire lol and she's awesome

Darkwingtsubasa said:
However, my only complaint about the series are the names of the Precure, but that can be overlooked. But seriously, Cure Happy, Sunny, Peace, March, and Beauty? (Is it a spoiler if it's in the ending?)

Other than that, I think this may easily become my favorite.

I thought the same thing about the names when they were first revealed but it grew on me. And I think I read somewhere a possible reference to the names.
- Happy is obvious with a 'happy end'
- Sunny I think is close to happy since people seem to relate sunny weather with a good day
- Peace is obvious too
- March could come from 'marchen' the german word for 'fairytale'
- Beauty would be related to beautiful princesses in fairy tales, especially since Reika is described as 'elegant' and such.

Really Suite had nothing on this. Smile bested it in every possible way and we've only actually seen one of the five Cures so far. What I hope is that once Sunny, Peace, March and Beauty come in they'll be able to keep this pace and storytelling.
Feb 5, 2012 11:51 AM

Oct 2010
as much as i liked suite, i already like smile wayyy better even after one episode. it feels like the characters have more personality and i had a good laugh when watching this
i'm also in love with the entire cast already
Feb 5, 2012 12:07 PM
Aug 2007
Suite as far as I'm concerned is the worst of the precure series in terms of story and I'm glad Smile went back to the original precure roots. Granted that Suite wins out on animation quality and music, I thoroughly enjoyed this first episode of Smile due to a lot of nostalgia factors from Futari and Yes. Unfortunately, the first episode didn't hook me as quickly as Heartcatch did but I doubt any Precure series will be able to come close to that level for a while.

I also got Shugo Chara vibes watching this episode, not sure why though. It's also a bit disappointing to see Toei dumb down the animation quality significantly from Suite, particularly with transformation.
Feb 5, 2012 12:37 PM

Apr 2011
I actually really enjoyed that. It certainly surpassed my expectations, anyway. I enjoyed the humour and much prefer these characters to those in Suite, although I really didn't think Suite was that bad. I'll look forward to this each week.
Feb 5, 2012 12:55 PM

Oct 2011
ok I liked it very much... partialy because of humor and partialy because it was different than HeartCatch
no playing with some weird angst or irritating characters - just a simpleton with a lot of firepower
also Candy seems to be ok, not anywhere as awesome as Hummy but decent enough

I look forward to more of it :)
Feb 5, 2012 3:19 PM
Feb 2010
Soo many good screencaps already! the humor was great too.!
Cure Happy's Happy Shower is totally a kamehameha btw!
and the ED was epic as was Heartcatch's.

Looking forward to next weeks!
Mata ne!

Feb 5, 2012 3:34 PM

Oct 2007
This was so brilliant! I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy this an awful lot :)
Feb 5, 2012 4:20 PM

Sep 2008
kinda remembers me heartcatch start
cant wait for the rest and DX4 =)
Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
Feb 5, 2012 4:32 PM

Oct 2011
Screencaps :)
okay so few of my favorite moments here...
with poor Candy at the beggining, molested and traumatised

than comes the revelation that with great power comes... certain problems

yet positive thinking wins and another revelation is on the way

as always not everything is perfect from the start, at least she tries her best with style...

but she gives herself a decent feedback

and in the end realises her potential
Dalek-bakaFeb 5, 2012 4:54 PM
Feb 5, 2012 5:24 PM
Oct 2011
Miyuki and Candy are the perfect comedy duo in this episode. Everything turns out good but along the way we get to totally laugh at the mess. I don't think this will be the whole series but I liked it because of this...
Feb 5, 2012 5:44 PM

Mar 2009
Amazing start! Way better than I expected it to be!

I love Suite, but this already blows it out of the water!
I can already tell Cure Sunny is gonna be my favorite character this time around!

The villains are a thousand times better than Suite's, the wolf is awesome!
And, he also sounded like Oga!

The cast if fantastic, especially Yayoi...Ika-musume!!

Urahara Out!!
Feb 5, 2012 6:45 PM

Sep 2011
Awesome start. It's so cute!! And Candy being voiced by Pikachu is awesome.
Feb 5, 2012 8:00 PM
Jun 2008
Disko_Rock said:

Darkwingtsubasa said:
However, my only complaint about the series are the names of the Precure, but that can be overlooked. But seriously, Cure Happy, Sunny, Peace, March, and Beauty? (Is it a spoiler if it's in the ending?)

Other than that, I think this may easily become my favorite.

I thought the same thing about the names when they were first revealed but it grew on me. And I think I read somewhere a possible reference to the names.
- Happy is obvious with a 'happy end'
- Sunny I think is close to happy since people seem to relate sunny weather with a good day
- Peace is obvious too
- March could come from 'marchen' the german word for 'fairytale'
- Beauty would be related to beautiful princesses in fairy tales, especially since Reika is described as 'elegant' and such.

I knew all of that... it's just those choices are kind of awkward and unimaginative as names, despite following the happiness/fairytale theme. It would work if they used those words in their catchphrases or something, but I just don't see them as their names... Also, Cure Peace is too close to Cure Peach from Fresh (at least when spoken/written in English)... This will just take some time to get used to.
Feb 5, 2012 8:31 PM

Aug 2011
This is my first Precure series, but I'm really starting to like it! I'll definitely go and watch the other series too :D
Feb 5, 2012 9:04 PM

Nov 2008
Darkwingtsubasa said:
I knew all of that... it's just those choices are kind of awkward and unimaginative as names, despite following the happiness/fairytale theme. It would work if they used those words in their catchphrases or something, but I just don't see them as their names...

Unimaginitive, yes. Akward? I'm not really seeing it. With the theme they're going for, I think the names work well enough. You have to remember that this is primarily aimed at little girls, so anything simple and easy to remember will be what they want to use.
Feb 6, 2012 12:04 AM

Jan 2011
Looks like a standard magical girl anime. It's kinda cute though. Cure Happy seems like a really energetic and... happy person. I'll see what the others are like.

And am I the only one that thinks this anime is really... colorful?
Feb 6, 2012 3:27 AM

Jan 2010
Comedy made this good, otherwise it was pretty average. Well character designs are so cute and I kinda liked the characters :3
Feb 6, 2012 3:39 AM

Feb 2008
Darkwingtsubasa said:

I knew all of that... it's just those choices are kind of awkward and unimaginative as names, despite following the happiness/fairytale theme. It would work if they used those words in their catchphrases or something, but I just don't see them as their names... Also, Cure Peace is too close to Cure Peach from Fresh (at least when spoken/written in English)... This will just take some time to get used to.

It's not like they really started off with much of a bang to begin with. I mean, just from the start, the original series had Cure Black and Cure White.

Reminds me a little of how people always complain that the new Pokemon are unimaginative, when from the start they were aimed at little kids... the main audience is just grown up now, is all. =P
Anime figure reviews:
Feb 6, 2012 4:32 AM
Jan 2011
The episode was not bad, reminded me of the 'usual' magical girl animes.

The voices were great! I enjoyed this.

The only issue I have with the episode was, yeah, we know the Pretty Cures are awesome and all, do they have to make them stand out with special hair colors? And the rest get what, ordinary brown/black hair? The fact that the anime is so colorful made it so obvious too.

I also liked the animation, however disappointed with the 'simple' transformation. Strangely they didn't stretch it out though. The story wasn't as messed up as Suite, where its first episode, well, pales in a sense. I dropped Suite because I got tired of the two characters having conflicts nearly all the time. Too much of it I swear.

Note this is only my opinion. =) I hope this anime will keep it up.
Random. Yeah. Wait you expected me to HAVE a signature or something?
Feb 6, 2012 5:32 AM

Apr 2011
MetronomeOrchid said:
This is my first Precure series, but I'm really starting to like it! I'll definitely go and watch the other series too :D

Welcome to Precure :)

Hajimeru_Rinko said:
I also liked the animation, however disappointed with the 'simple' transformation. Strangely they didn't stretch it out though. The story wasn't as messed up as Suite, where its first episode, well, pales in a sense. I dropped Suite because I got tired of the two characters having conflicts nearly all the time. Too much of it I swear.

Note this is only my opinion. =) I hope this anime will keep it up.

I liked the transformation. Wasn't as good as Suite's (cough, Muse, cough) but it was cute. I'd like to see if Sunny and the others use a powder puff as well..I mean they pat their faces and flames/lightning/wind/ice come out? lol
Feb 6, 2012 8:17 AM

Apr 2009
Ehx said:
Unimaginitive, yes. Akward? I'm not really seeing it. With the theme they're going for, I think the names work well enough. You have to remember that this is primarily aimed at little girls, so anything simple and easy to remember will be what they want to use.

Nothing beats Cure Lemonade anyway (with Cure Rouge possibly coming second). Except for mousetrap, if someone slips one into their bag of random words, from which these names are drawn.
Feb 6, 2012 7:51 PM
Jan 2009
Anime of the season with Pirates. Smile should be good after the mediocrity of Suite.
Feb 7, 2012 12:02 AM

Feb 2008
Just started watching Suite recently so I can't really compare them, but this first episode is way better than what I saw in Suite so far. The only good thing Suite had in the first 5 episode was their relation in the first two episode, which is kinda unique for Precure (if I'm not wrong).

The episode was great. Miyuki was really funny in this episode. Can't wait for the next, as Akane would probably be my favorite Cure. It may be a little bit simple minded to like a character just because of Kansai-ben, but i just love them. When Candy first appeared she sounded exactly like Pikachu and whenever she panics. Man, already my favorite magical animal. Wolf was cool too, liked him more than those morons from Suite. I like the fairy tale theme.

P.S. March could also represent spring, which is also kinda happy, since it's about new life and stuff. Depends how they pronounce it.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Feb 7, 2012 2:17 AM

Apr 2011
OMG! Miyuki has Rika's voice!

First episode clearly has potential to be better than Suite Precure. Looking forward to the next. But I have to finish Suite Precure first before I put it on my watch list.
MagitoFeb 7, 2012 2:27 AM
Feb 7, 2012 3:23 PM

Jan 2012
Yay furries! lol.
Haha.

OMG. I can tell I'm going to LOVE this season.

LOL. I'm already in love with Cure Sunny A.K.A Akane. When I saw Reika in the opening i'm just like "I bet she's in the student council" and I was right.

I swear girls in Archery club in anime are ALWAYS in student council

I tried watching Suite, and I can just NOT get into it. It's my least favorite season.
Feb 8, 2012 4:43 AM

Feb 2008
Not just girls, boys too. Example: Kujou from Bloody Monday. At least in the Live Action series :3

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Feb 8, 2012 2:40 PM

Jan 2008
Huh... well, my expectations were low, so they were completely blown out of the stratosphere. This was great in pretty much every aspect. It's much better then the first Suite episode, and just as good as the first HeartCatch episode. OK, HC was better because of Cure Moonlight and Cure Dark right there at the beginning. But this shows much promise. I hope it gets better and better. Miyuki is adorable, but Yaoi is.... how can I say it.... I just want to hug her. She's like a Pikachu!
Feb 9, 2012 12:04 AM

Jan 2012
DmonHiro said:
Huh... well, my expectations were low, so they were completely blown out of the stratosphere. This was great in pretty much every aspect. It's much better then the first Suite episode, and just as good as the first HeartCatch episode. OK, HC was better because of Cure Moonlight and Cure Dark right there at the beginning. But this shows much promise. I hope it gets better and better. Miyuki is adorable, but Yaoi is.... how can I say it.... I just want to hug her. She's like a Pikachu!

I set my expectations in the middle because at least every Precure anime is alright. However, I had high expectations for Suite and they were just crushed with in the first episodes.

Anyways, I believe this season will turn out great~ Reminds me a lot of Gogo, just with the colors and style of everyone haha.
Feb 9, 2012 9:34 AM

Apr 2010
Pretty funny that only after 1 episode there's already a ton of fanart of this pairing:

lol
Feb 10, 2012 2:21 PM

Jul 2008
Can anyone make a .gif of the ED part "Itsudatte waku waku doki doki precure"?

I love the dancing there.
Feb 10, 2012 3:16 PM

Jun 2009
Question: What subbing group is best for this?

I mostly use Doremi Fansubs, but the way they put the karaoke REALLY CLOSE TO the bottom of the video irritated me. Not to mention time-stamped raw. I am kinda digging Cure-Anxious for doing those two things better. BUT IDK. ;;
Feb 12, 2012 9:23 AM

Nov 2011
Really liked episode 1. The characters were funny and energetic.

I loved Miyuki's "Boo boo boo."

Looks like a good Magical Girl show!
Feb 13, 2012 2:40 PM

Apr 2011
GarLogan78 said:
Can anyone make a .gif of the ED part "Itsudatte waku waku doki doki precure"?

I love the dancing there.

You and me both..I instantly get a smile on my face watching that ED :D
Feb 15, 2012 5:46 PM
Apr 2011
This one has really exceeded my expectations for it. It has some pretty likeable characters and nice comedy. Hopefully this continues in the later episodes. Not a bad start at all for this type of series. Now its onto episode 2.

4/5
Mar 29, 2012 8:26 AM

Apr 2010
When wolf said come out did anyone else expect him to say Negatone after watching Suite? Cause I did. Also I hate when main characters wear different color ties than the rest of the student population, they should have to wear the same thing as everyone else. The only one that has the right is the blue haired girl who is on the student council.
Jun 11, 2012 9:12 AM

Dec 2007
Was sceptical about starting the Precure franchise but I'm glad I did. This episode was hilarious.
Jun 17, 2012 5:15 PM

Aug 2011
Wow! I didn't expect this type of show.

Right from the start, I grew a liking towards Miyuki. She's shy but also a truthful character. I admire that she admits to being afraid, even when she's a magical girl. Her panic faces are what sent me into laughter most of the time. I'm glad it has a fair bit of humor in it because I thought it would take itself too seriously. Thankfully not, it's fresh to see her poking fun at the show's genre. Lovely main character and cast too.

That OP, man. The song is so good and catchy! It's stuck in my head just after one listen! ED was great too.

This is my first venture in to the Precure series and it's an excellent start. Can't wait to watch more!
Oct 30, 2014 1:49 AM

Nov 2011
"happy, happy shower..!"
*nothing happens*
lmao xd
same as above, first time watching precure so i didn't know what to expect, but this was great. opening was catchy too ^^
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Sep 1, 2016 7:13 AM

Jul 2014
Watching it dubbed. The voices are pretty well done. I can't believe Lucky (don't know Japanese name)tried to do a Kamehameha. That Wolf could've just walked in the opening when they ran behind the brick wall entrance. Not bad but nothing original and I love it for being self aware of this.
I play video games. You should play a video game because you read my signature.
Oct 1, 2016 7:18 AM

Jun 2014
I recently finished Heartcatch , fell in love with it and now I'm looking for a substitute.
Pretty good start. The fairy tale theme is pretty interesting as well.
Aug 21, 2017 7:43 AM

Nov 2012
General consensus for Smile is that it's the least serious precure but the most fun/enjoyable one from what I've heard so hope it'll be the same for me as well.

As for this episode it was alright I guess,only had a few slight chuckles but it's only the first episode so sure it'll have funnier moments to come.

Also yeah Happy's Happy Shower definitely looked like Kamehameha.
VanishingKiraAug 21, 2017 7:49 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Smile Precure! Episode 48 Discussion

Kaengel - Jan 26, 2013

48 by Animelover875 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Smile Precure! Episode 23 Discussion

minimiau - Jul 15, 2012

40 by ThorVermillion »»
Apr 19, 6:33 PM

Poll: » Smile Precure! Episode 40 Discussion

Kaengel - Nov 25, 2012

10 by kitaaaa »»
Apr 13, 4:54 AM

Poll: » Smile Precure! Episode 3 Discussion

stevewiess01 - Feb 18, 2012

31 by DylansTrashTaste »»
Mar 4, 6:06 PM

Poll: » Smile Precure! Episode 2 Discussion

stevewiess01 - Feb 11, 2012

29 by DylansTrashTaste »»
Mar 4, 4:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.