Forum Settings
Forums

First Dubbed Episode of Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica to be Streamed in 6 Countries

New
Feb 2, 2012 3:31 PM

Jun 2008
According to Presepe, the first English-dubbed episode of Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Puella Magi Madoka Magica) will be streamed via the Nico Nico Live Program on February 10th at 11:30 pm EST. The episode will be available in Japan, the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand.

Also included will be a special feature with English voice-actresses Christine Marie Cabanos (Madoka Kaname), Cristina Valenzuela (Homura Akemi), and Cassandra Lee (Kyuubey).

Source: Presepe
myanimelistllcMar 5, 2016 5:44 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 2, 2012 3:42 PM

Aug 2010
Wow

Let's see...
Feb 2, 2012 3:42 PM

Aug 2008
Ballin.
Feb 2, 2012 3:44 PM

Aug 2011
Ahh the UK getting some love.
Feb 2, 2012 3:45 PM

Apr 2009
No... just no.

Feb 2, 2012 3:50 PM

Jun 2009
Poor people watching the dub.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Feb 2, 2012 3:54 PM

Nov 2008
i say who care about dub anyway
Feb 2, 2012 3:59 PM

Aug 2008
lol dub hating in here
Feb 2, 2012 4:09 PM

Jul 2010
The girl who does Madoka's voice is going to get so much shit either way... kind of sad.

Also wow it is literally K-ON dub all over again... diverse.
StreetFighterFeb 2, 2012 5:18 PM
Feb 2, 2012 4:14 PM

Apr 2008
Sadly good dubs are still countable on one hand from the thousands we have.

Back to...well reality sure hit my face just now.
Feb 2, 2012 4:54 PM

Aug 2011
Will watch just to see how bad the voices are.
Feb 2, 2012 5:42 PM

Feb 2010
Holy shit they got some "talent" for this one. And I think calling some of these people voice actors is just insulting. -sigh- I knew this was going to get a terrible dub.
Feb 2, 2012 5:53 PM
Jun 2008
well give try show fresh new voices a chance to rise for next generation of english dubs anime.
LIVING THE GS-LIFESTYLE
MR.GS
JUST ON THE JOURNEY THROUGH THE ANIME WORLD
THE KLAC OF ANIME WORLD
you either with ANIME http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 or against the anime
Feb 2, 2012 6:01 PM

Jun 2009
GO_KLAC-IGER said:
well give try show fresh new voices a chance to rise for next generation of english dubs anime.

this but with better grammar
"everyone knows that the last toes are always the coldest to go."

Telavators-the mars volta
Feb 2, 2012 6:06 PM

Aug 2011
The trailer was terrible, but I want to see this...maybe it won't be that bad?
Feb 2, 2012 6:08 PM

May 2011
I just wanna know who's dubbing Mami. I'm only watching episode 3 of this, after all.
Feb 2, 2012 6:12 PM

Jun 2009
Forest-kun said:
I just wanna know who's dubbing Mami. I'm only watching episode 3 of this, after all.

http://myanimelist.net/people/1435/Carolyn_Keranen
"everyone knows that the last toes are always the coldest to go."

Telavators-the mars volta
Feb 2, 2012 6:14 PM

Dec 2010
Lordcrab86 said:
Forest-kun said:

Oh, good.
Feb 2, 2012 6:16 PM

Jun 2008
destructo22 said:
lol dub hating in here

This is why I was hesitant to post it. It always happens at a place like MAL.

Anyway, ANN's early review gave the dub a pretty good score, so I'll do my best to go in with an open mind. It won't be easy after having already watched it subbed twice.
Feb 2, 2012 6:26 PM

Jul 2011
I wonder how sales would do in the US without subbed voices.
Feb 2, 2012 6:53 PM

Aug 2008
Redfoxoffire said:
destructo22 said:
lol dub hating in here

Anyway, ANN's early review gave the dub a pretty good score, so I'll do my best to go in with an open mind. It won't be easy after having already watched it subbed twice.
I've seen the trailer and thought it was okay. But after seeing the separate VA videos for each character (Kyouko's and Kyubey's have yet to be posted), I feel like they've done a great job with the dubbing (so far).
Feb 2, 2012 7:11 PM
Mar 2008
real dub
Feb 2, 2012 7:28 PM

Jun 2008
shadowtsunami said:
destructo22 said:
lol dub hating in here

I know what you mean. The dub isn't for people who already watched the sub anyway lol. I watched the trailer and it was ok, but the ending song dubbed sounded pretty sweet.

Wait.

Are you saying they dubbed over Kalafina?

That is unforgivable.
Feb 2, 2012 8:02 PM

Sep 2009
Redfoxoffire said:
shadowtsunami said:
destructo22 said:
lol dub hating in here

I know what you mean. The dub isn't for people who already watched the sub anyway lol. I watched the trailer and it was ok, but the ending song dubbed sounded pretty sweet.

Wait.

Are you saying they dubbed over Kalafina?

That is unforgivable.

O_O

Surely not. I mean, they didn't do it for K-ON which would have far more meaning (but still terrible), and they surely don't think the American VAs can outdo Kalafina.
Feb 2, 2012 8:41 PM

Jun 2008
outlawauron said:
O_O

Surely not. I mean, they didn't do it for K-ON which would have far more meaning (but still terrible), and they surely don't think the American VAs can outdo Kalafina.

K-ON had some of the same voice actresses but was done by a different company (Bandai, and this is Aniplex of America), so that doesn't really mean anything.
Feb 2, 2012 9:27 PM

May 2011
Lordcrab86 said:
Forest-kun said:

Thanks bunches.
A good choice, imo. ^^=
Feb 2, 2012 9:57 PM

Oct 2008
I'm sorry. But I'm just against dubs. It's not that the American voice actresses don't try, but they just can't pull off the same character vibe as their Japanese counterparts. What irks me the most is how the say Japanese names in English phonemes and it just sounds so unnatural...

Frankly, the Japanese voice actors convey far more emotion in their scenes. It's OK for anime like K-ON, but it destroys the atmosphere in a more plot-oriented, serious anime like Madoka.
Feb 2, 2012 10:09 PM

Jun 2010
Has dubbing in the eyes and ears of most long-term anime fans been every good?

Don't answer cos that was rhetorical.
Feb 2, 2012 10:20 PM

Apr 2010
Omniknight said:
I'm sorry. But I'm just against dubs. It's not that the American voice actresses don't try, but they just can't pull off the same character vibe as their Japanese counterparts. What irks me the most is how the say Japanese names in English phonemes and it just sounds so unnatural...

Frankly, the Japanese voice actors convey far more emotion in their scenes. It's OK for anime like K-ON, but it destroys the atmosphere in a more plot-oriented, serious anime like Madoka.

It sounds like you're watching mediocre dubs.
(◕ᴥ◕し)
Hello! Did you know? Barnacles have the largest penis to body size ratio of the animal kingdom.
Feb 2, 2012 11:03 PM

Aug 2011
Omniknight said:
It's OK for anime like K-ON, but it destroys the atmosphere in a more plot-oriented, serious anime like Madoka.

If the K-ON! dub was ok by your standards I'd hate to hear a dub you think is bad.
Feb 2, 2012 11:09 PM

Dec 2010
Haters gonna hate. I'm personally going to listen to the dub, and chances are, enjoy it.
Feb 3, 2012 12:17 AM

May 2009
shadowtsunami said:
And Sometimes they convey TOO MUCH emotion. For example HOTD. The japanese VA try to make it way too serious for an anime that isn't in the slightest "serious". The english dub made it way more funnier and laid back which suited HOTD much better.

That isn't an issue with the VAs, that's just your taste in humor. Ridiculous things delivered in a serious tone is funny to some people, but not you apparently.
Edit: Really, if you think about it it makes sense why they'd do that for HOTD. Where else does it seem like the actors are being overly dramatic in spite of whats happening in the plot? Cheesy horror films! Guess what a lot of cheesy horror films have in them? Zombies! I think you get the point.
MadDogV2Feb 3, 2012 12:35 AM
Feb 3, 2012 12:46 AM

May 2010
Edit:
/reply up
While it's sort of just "more of the same" at this point, I think all the zombie apocalypse scenarios have desensitized us a bit. Is it really possible to be -overly- dramatic in the event of a zombie apocalypse? I don't know about you, but to me? A zombie apocalypse? It's kind of a big deal. I'd be dramatic as all hell. XD

/main
With as much hate as dubs get, I wouldn't think many people would want to make a career in anime dubs, or that there's as much demand for such VAs, compared to other media. Without sufficient supply and demand, where exactly would you get variety, anyway? Plus, without the resulting competition, I can't imagine passion for the part would be a huge requirement for landing roles, either.

OTOH
/OTOH

Basically, it strikes me as a vicious cycle. Low quality dubs resulting from a small VA pool result in more hate for dubs, reducing demand for dubs, reducing desire to produce dubs as well as the demand for VAs, resulting in the VA pool remaining too small to support the competition necessary to produce a lot of quality VAs. The few really good VAs could also end up being spread too thin and re-used too often as a result, adding further fuel to the "no variety in English dubs" arguments.

Mind, I'm not saying all VAs are bad VAs, or that all dubs are low quality. I'm also not saying that rushing out to buy every dubbed series ever would necessarily help the situation (nor am I saying it would hurt it). It might lead to more bad dubs, more good dubs, more demand for VAs, or just a lot more re-use of the VAs people seem to like.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what the industry is actually like internally. This is all just speculation. Also, full disclosure: I prefer subs, and pretty much hate watching dubs (and not just anime dubs), but don't think "all dubs need to die in a fire".
bdxcrFeb 3, 2012 12:51 AM
Feb 3, 2012 12:56 AM

Aug 2008
Herp derp I can't even watch the trailer in my god forsaken, central/eastern-european country
Feb 3, 2012 1:10 AM

Oct 2011
dubbed episodes are crap - would much rather they would broadcast subbed - why get rid of the original amazing work by by japanese seiyuu with a crap english dub? the only reason to watch dubbed episode are if you can't read..........
Feb 3, 2012 1:16 AM

Oct 2011
MadDogV2 said:
shadowtsunami said:
And Sometimes they convey TOO MUCH emotion. For example HOTD. The japanese VA try to make it way too serious for an anime that isn't in the slightest "serious". The english dub made it way more funnier and laid back which suited HOTD much better.

That isn't an issue with the VAs, that's just your taste in humor. Ridiculous things delivered in a serious tone is funny to some people, but not you apparently.
Edit: Really, if you think about it it makes sense why they'd do that for HOTD. Where else does it seem like the actors are being overly dramatic in spite of whats happening in the plot? Cheesy horror films! Guess what a lot of cheesy horror films have in them? Zombies! I think you get the point.
totally agree - h.o.t.d. seiyuu were amazing! one of the best anime in recent history - great mix of sexy, funny, and scary as hell!!!
Feb 3, 2012 7:34 AM

Oct 2011
I'm not gonna rewatch it or anything, but I'll probably see how good the dub is for the 1st episode, hopefully they don't change the OP...
Feb 3, 2012 9:06 AM

Oct 2011
shadowtsunami said:
octal9 said:
totally agree - h.o.t.d. seiyuu were amazing! one of the best anime in recent history - great mix of sexy, funny, and scary as hell!!!

I didn't say the weren't amazing. I'm just saying in some ways english dubs are superior especially during the funny scenes such as the bath scene in hotd lol. The only way in my opinion a dub is going to suck is when they completely change the animation, use VAs that wouldn't suit a paper bag or change the story *cough* 4kids *cough*

And I have been saying that for years, that we should have an anime channel dedicated to subs, I don't like watching them online because of the subpar quality (streaming), and I don't like downloading either lol. Takes me about 17 minutes to dl 1 ep on an average connect, which just sucks because I could have the whole ep by then.
sub channel idea truly aweso
shadowtsunami said:
octal9 said:

I didn't say the weren't amazing. I'm just saying in some ways english dubs are superior especially during the funny scenes such as the bath scene in hotd lol. The only way in my opinion a dub is going to suck is when they completely change the animation, use VAs that wouldn't suit a paper bag or change the story *cough* 4kids *cough*

And I have been saying that for years, that we should have an anime channel dedicated to subs, I don't like watching them online because of the subpar quality (streaming), and I don't like downloading either lol. Takes me about 17 minutes to dl 1 ep on an average connect, which just sucks because I could have the whole ep by then.
sub channel idea would be wonderful! i'm in the same boat with slow downloads and/or low quality, or unplayable-on-my-dinosaur-computer 10-bit encodes - also have to admit there are VERY occasionally some fairly decent dubs (i.e. - fullmetal alchemist, inuyasha, cowboy bebop, etc.) but only watched them in the past because of non-access to computer viewing + japanese language is the most beautiful and musical sound (just makes me happy to hear!)..........
Feb 3, 2012 1:03 PM

Apr 2010
I'll watch it out of curiosity.
Feb 5, 2012 5:23 PM

Oct 2008
Salinga said:
Omniknight said:

That very well might be the case. Can you point me to some good ones?

mitch3315 said:
Omniknight said:
It's OK for anime like K-ON, but it destroys the atmosphere in a more plot-oriented, serious anime like Madoka.

If the K-ON! dub was ok by your standards I'd hate to hear a dub you think is bad.

Sorry, I need to correct myself here. I meant that for animes without much emotional pull to them, the quality of the voice work in my opinion is less important. It's hard to feel emotionally engaged in a scene when they say it in the most monotonous voices..

shadowtsunami said:
Omniknight said:
What irks me the most is how the say Japanese names in English phonemes and it just sounds so unnatural...

Just like how Japanese VAs almost always screw up english names right????

And Sometimes they convey TOO MUCH emotion. For example HOTD. The japanese VA try to make it way too serious for an anime that isn't in the slightest "serious". The english dub made it way more funnier and laid back which suited HOTD much better. There's a lot more examples like this.

Some people are way to bias and think most dubs suck because they pail in comparison to the original, without comparing them on their own. Dubs are for most of the time average to good, and most people complaining about that they suck haven't seen a badly dubbed anime before lol.

For instance I remember on Fairy tail scene, a guy complained saying that Erza said ""Ahhhaa" instead of "Kya", and another person came and said who says "Kya" in english, on top of that the whole entire scene was pretty much the same. But he focus on that one aspect saying that the dubbed suck. See what I mean, bias for no reason whatsoever.

Yes, most Japanese VAs make me cringe when they speak in English. But, often times, as we are watching Japanese anime, it is done for a particular reason such as highlighting a particular character trait, situation or simply for laughs. Also, we are talking about Madoka, an anime which has some pretty heavy emotions and themes. How the story is conveyed is important. Voice work is as important as anything else to pull the viewer into the world and to make it believable. In an anime like HOTD (ugh...), it was meant to be a giant joke so the VAs could do whatever voice they wanted to and it would not have detracted from it a single bit. I'd assume poor voice work made the anime "more funny" in this degree as you have mentioned.

I will have to poke your argument that most dubs are average-good. Most of the mainstream anime series not on American television have dubs that want to bash your head into the wall and keep your head in there.
OmniknightFeb 5, 2012 5:42 PM
Feb 5, 2012 6:11 PM

Jun 2008
Omniknight said:

I will have to poke your argument that most dubs are average-good. Most of the mainstream anime series not on American television have dubs that want to bash your head into the wall and keep your head in there.

These don't work well coming from the same person. One thing is true: most dubs these days are average-good; most people on the internet just won't see them that way because the internet is heavily biased towards weeaboos and anti-dub fans. Someone like you can usually be shown a legitimately good/decent dub and you'd call it crap just because it's in English. And I don't mean that offensively (though it obviously isn't very flattering), it's just what I've come to know from my years on the internet. Anti-dub fans always go in already believing it's bad and just don't let it be good.
Feb 5, 2012 7:19 PM

Sep 2011
I wonder how this will turn out?
Feb 5, 2012 7:34 PM

Aug 2011
destructo22 said:
lol dub hating in here

Redfoxoffire said:
destructo22 said:
lol dub hating in here

Nonononono.

I'm normally all for English dubs, but this sounds fucking terrible.

Good blog post about the R1 release in general.

Omniknight said:
Salinga said:
Clannad's English dub is probably the best English dub I've ever seen. Also:

Baccano!
Kanon
Final Fantasy Advent Children
Code Geass
Spice and Wolf
Lucky Star
Haruhi Suzumiya

Just to get you started.
DraconisMarchFeb 5, 2012 7:40 PM
Feb 5, 2012 7:58 PM

Jun 2008
DraconisMarch said:
Nonononono.

I'm normally all for English dubs, but this sounds fucking terrible.

It doesn't sound amazing, but terrible? That's overreacting (but normal for anti-dub fans). And it's just a trailer anyway. It doesn't have any of the "big" scenes.

Clannad's English dub is probably the best English dub I've ever seen.

This is rather interesting since most people think Clannad's dub is bad, even dub fans. I myself think it's somewhat mediocre and disappointing from Sentai.
Feb 5, 2012 8:55 PM

Aug 2011
Redfoxoffire said:
It doesn't sound amazing, but terrible? That's overreacting (but normal for anti-dub fans). And it's just a trailer anyway. It doesn't have any of the "big" scenes.
You obviously missed the part where I said I'm for English dubs. To expound upon that, I'll pretty much always watch in English if it's available. So no, I'm not "anti-dub."

Redfoxoffire said:
Clannad's English dub is probably the best English dub I've ever seen.
This is rather interesting since most people think Clannad's dub is bad, even dub fans. I myself think it's somewhat mediocre and disappointing from Sentai.
Feb 5, 2012 9:34 PM

Jun 2008
DraconisMarch said:
You obviously missed the part where I said I'm for English dubs. To expound upon that, I'll pretty much always watch in English if it's available. So no, I'm not "anti-dub."

How often do you watch - and like - a dub after having already seen the show subbed? Because I find that's most of the reason people think dubs sounds terrible. They are too used to the Japanese voices. It happens to me, too. I thought the trailer sounded weird/bad at first, but the more I listened to it, the more it grew on me and now I think the dub ought to reasonably good.

But I hope you don't think you can judge the whole thing based on the trailer. Not that I'm saying you are.

http://i.imgur.com/P05dz.gif

It's true. I mean I love Clannad (It's only my #1 favorite anything entertainment of all time), and there are no major problems, it's just a bunch of little things that add up.

The other dubs you listed are all good, though.

Btw, I recognize your name. Did you post regularly in the Sub vs. Dub topics?
Feb 5, 2012 10:26 PM

Aug 2011
Redfoxoffire said:
How often do you watch - and like - a dub after having already seen the show subbed? Because I find that's most of the reason people think dubs sounds terrible. They are too used to the Japanese voices. It happens to me, too. I thought the trailer sounded weird/bad at first, but the more I listened to it, the more it grew on me and now I think the dub ought to reasonably good.
Well, none yet. Because I just recently got really into anime this summer, so I haven't really been around long enough to watch something as it aired in Japan and then be released in English later.

Redfoxoffire said:
But I hope you don't think you can judge the whole thing based on the trailer. Not that I'm saying you are.
Even of the VAs have much more capability than what is shown in the trailer, the only voice that fits is Hiromi's. Everyone else just sounds retarded--especially Madoka. (And Kyouko's VA sounds like she has no talent whatsoever. *Checks resume* Yup. She's a noob. Like pretty much the rest of the cast.)

Redfoxoffire said:
It's true. I mean I love Clannad (It's only my #1 favorite anything entertainment of all time), and there are no major problems, it's just a bunch of little things that add up.
I'm sorry to hear you feel that way. Agree to disagree.

Redfoxoffire said:
Btw, I recognize your name. Did you post regularly in the Sub vs. Dub topics?
There are sub vs. dub topics? Sign me up!

Lol no. You probably just recognize me from the Guilty Crown forum. I became rather infamous over there.
Feb 5, 2012 10:35 PM

Jun 2008
DraconisMarch said:
]Well, none yet. Because I just recently got really into anime this summer, so I haven't really been around long enough to watch something as it aired in Japan and then be released in English later.

Well then, consider that a likely possibility.

Even of the VAs have much more capability than what is shown in the trailer, the only voice that fits is Hiromi's. Everyone else just sounds retarded--especially Madoka. (And Kyouko's VA sounds like she has no talent whatsoever. *Checks resume* Yup. She's a noob. Like pretty much the rest of the cast.)

New =/= bad, not necessarily. It may even be a good thing because we've never heard the voice and have no other character to connect it to. Only if it's good, of course. And come on, Kyouko had like one line in that trailer. Withhold judgement for now, sheesh.

You've made your point that you support dubs, but one thing you have in common with the anti-dub fanbase is this obvious pessimism for a new dub.

I'm sorry to hear you feel that way. Agree to disagree.

Would you like me to list these minor problems or leave it be?

Lol no. You probably just recognize me from the Guilty Crown forum. I became rather infamous over there.

Ah, that would do it. I had some fun over there, too.
Feb 5, 2012 11:06 PM

Aug 2011
Redfoxoffire said:
New =/= bad, not necessarily. It may even be a good thing because we've never heard the voice and have no other character to connect it to.
True, but generally, lack of experience is not a good sign. Only inexperienced VAs I've seen to date that were actually really good were Newton Pittman and Lindsay Seidel (Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom), and even then it took Mr. Pittman some time before he really started bringing Zwei to life.

Redfoxoffire said:
And come on, Kyouko had like one line in that trailer. Withhold judgement for now, sheesh.
Yeah. And it was one line that literally made me cringe at how badly delivered it was/bad it sounded.

Redfoxoffire said:
You've made your point that you support dubs, but one thing you have in common with the anti-dub fanbase is this obvious pessimism for a new dub.
Define "new dub."

Redfoxoffire said:
Would you like me to list these minor problems or leave it be?
I'm kind of scared it might ruin my opinion about it, but I'm slightly curious. If you'd like to PM me about it sure--but keep it vague/general at first and don't point out specifics (on the first go). I'll decide afterwards if I want specific examples.

Redfoxoffire said:
Ah, that would do it. I had some fun over there, too.
Yeah... Let's call it that...
DraconisMarchFeb 5, 2012 11:09 PM
Feb 5, 2012 11:30 PM

Aug 2008
Redfoxoffire said:
destructo22 said:
lol dub hating in here

This is good news for me, I was interested in the series and prefer the dubs to subs so I'll be checking this out. Thanks for sharing. :)
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - 11 hours ago

12 by _ATG_ »»
3 hours ago

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - 8 hours ago

7 by Yubisoft »»
3 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 24

5 by Kushna »»
11 hours ago

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

17 by animegamer245 »»
Yesterday, 4:09 PM

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Apr 23

31 by animegamer245 »»
Yesterday, 1:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.