Forum Settings
Forums

Does bad voice acting ruin a Anime for you??

New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Dec 2, 2011 2:19 PM

Sep 2008
Definitely. This is pretty much the one thing I have against Mirai Nikki right now. The voices of both Yukkii and Yuno are absolutely grating. I'm sick and tired of male protagonists getting played by female voice actors just so they can be as whiny as possible.
Dec 2, 2011 2:31 PM

Sep 2011
kickthebucket said:
that's why dubs are the in my coffin haha i can't even stand when they dub anything into my own native language (dutch) let allone watch english dubbed (and americanisation in a whole)

i watched DBZ but when i seen the original it was so much better, FMA kind of did a good job (weird isn't it) and gunslinger girl wich i couldn't find in sub at that given time, ugh i dropped it and searched for the subs because it was just plain AWFULL :(

imo the people creating something find a voice (or actor in case of a live action movie/serie) fitting the character. dubbing allmost never seems to get it right

You have clearly not seen enough dubs. FMA "kind of" did a good job? They did a tremendous job, even better than the actual subbed version IMO. DBZ's dub was terrible.

Watch more dubs before judging. I recommend Death Note, Elfen Lied, Darker than Black. Try those three for a start.
AlfonseDec 2, 2011 2:39 PM
Dec 2, 2011 2:32 PM

Sep 2011
Bad voice acting does ruin the experience. But finding bad voice actors is rather difficult unless you're watching some of FUNI's and 4kids's older anime dubs (pre-2003).
Dec 2, 2011 2:33 PM

Sep 2011
Kuradachi said:
Didn't stop me from watching YuGiOh subbed

Yu-gi-oh! subbed is the way to go!
Dec 2, 2011 2:38 PM
May 2011
Doesn't bother me at all generally I never really notice the voice actors I just focus on the story.
The only time that comes to mind where bad dubbing bothered me was Jin for yu yu hakusho. Just couldn't understand half of what that damn irish accent said
Dec 2, 2011 8:23 PM

May 2010
It doesn't really affect me unless the show is actually bad. A lot of people don't like the dubs for shows such as Elfen Lied, but it's a great show I even have the DVDs and I watch it dubbed cause it's easier to follow and it's still a good show. Usually if I first watch the show in a a certain language then if I re-watch it I will usually stick with what I'm used to hearing it in.
Dec 2, 2011 8:58 PM

Jun 2009
Originally it would annoy the crap out of me, but after getting used to Maka Albarn from Soul Eater's atrocious voice (at least in the beginning) it's really something you get used to after the first few eps. It's an acquired taste/adjustment, like beer and like watching Hunter X Hunter for the first time many, many eons after it was released.

But if the rest of the show doesn't compensate for it...
insert awesome sig here...
Dec 2, 2011 9:21 PM

Jun 2011
I prefer Japanese dubs by a LONG shot after watching a few English dub anime since they tend to have more emotion in their voices, and I even end up imitating them. XD

However, there are some anime that I just can't watch in Japanese, like InuYasha since I grew up on the English dub and tried to watch the Japanese... and InuYasha's voice made me want to keel over and gag.
"Aiming for the mark takes precision, balance, and patience."

....Screw that, let's shoot the damn thing!
Dec 2, 2011 9:33 PM

Sep 2011
Yes, unless its a classic then I watch all anime subbed. Sometimes the english voices are just utterly terrible...negima for example. That boy's voice....I don't even want to get into that. But if their voice matches their character then it makes it all the better
I got no time to do what I dont want to do
Dec 2, 2011 9:37 PM
Oct 2011
The eng dub for Claymore would of been awesome if it wasn't for raki's annoying voice. I'm sure if you watched it you would agree!
Dec 2, 2011 9:42 PM

Jan 2010
I can't tell if a Japanese dub is bad or not. Must be the blessing of being a foreigner or something. I think the only time I could remember terrible Japanese voicing was in Kure-nai's musical episode, but that was on purpose anyways. And it was funny.

In English, it's kind of weird. If it's good, it's good. If it's bad, I'd hate it since I wouldn't be able to watch without cringing at every scene. If it's amazingly bad, I might actually enjoy it for hilarity.
Dec 2, 2011 10:41 PM

Nov 2011
Voice in anime had a huge effect for me. Last time when I was a kid I remember watching Doraemon and suddenly the voice actors were changed and I completely stopped watching it.

If I feel the voice color doesn't match the personality of the character, I wouldn't watch the anime.

"Life is always a continuation of unpreparedness" - Evangline A.K. McDowell
Dec 3, 2011 2:05 AM

Jul 2011
of course it does!!!! but right now i can't remember any... as in japanese i like their voice acting but if it's in another language it's really annoying!!!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Dec 3, 2011 2:08 AM

Jul 2010
itsthatguy said:
If it's really that bad, then regardless of if it's Japanese or English, it's probably going to take away from it (let's keep in mind that this isn't a sub vs. dub thread). For example, I'm watching Speed Grapher subbed, and the main girl's voice kind of irritates me, I'm actually thinking about watching the dub for an episode or two to compare. No voice acting has been terrible enough for me though that it totally ruined my experience, usually I just don't like the person's voice.

Kagura's voice was quite annoying, I agree.

I prefer to not have bad voice acting in my anime tyvm.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 3, 2011 3:17 AM
Nov 2011
Actually, I was pondering a similar question last night. Not so much Bad Voice acting, but how voice acting by a VA in one show could impact your understanding of a character they voice in another show. For example, I've been working my way through one anime, but didn't complete it before going through and completing another which was epic. Now that I've returned to finish watching the earlier anime, the first episode back I actually noticed that the leads were the same VA. I also realized that somehow the VA's other performance had indeed impacted my understanding at least for a moment, as one anime bled a bit into another unrelated one.

This reminded me of times when I was a kid, and a lot of Cartoon shows used the same voice actors for different parts and roles, but I didn't really think that in depth about it back then.
Be thankful for those you have near who are dear
For time is not always kind to those who would be on your mind
Seize the day, some exclaim, but that which is past, no more shall have its day.
Dec 3, 2011 3:51 AM

Sep 2010
Bad VA's really ruin things for me. A recent example would be Colorful.

If i hate the voice I can't really like the character. Though that said, I haven't come across too many bad VA's in jap dub. I avoid Eng dub altogether.
Dec 3, 2011 5:28 AM

Mar 2009
Actually yes, a terrible dub has, while not flat out ruined the anime, certainly made it seem worse than it really was. I'm talking about Fantastic Children's dub, which was outsourced. I mean, I could still see it was a great show, but it made characters seem artificially annoying. Then I rewatched it in sub (because it is the sort of show that deserves a rewatch, particularly for all the pieces to fall into place) and man, the show was like, a thousand times better. The dub really can ruin that show. Oddly enough, the terrible dub of Garzey's Wing is what saves it, lol.
I mean, yes, there are plenty of subs that are better than their respective dubs, but most of the time, the dub doesn't actually ruin or almost ruin the show. For FC, it does.
Dec 3, 2011 6:20 AM

Nov 2011
not as much as it seems to for others, there aren't many things i hate more than watching subbed episodes, so basically any dub is fine with me.

Shocked said:
I can't tell if a Japanese dub is bad or not. Must be the blessing of being a foreigner or something.

haha yeah i know what you mean
Tea and bickies with the Bold and the Beautiful
Dec 3, 2011 6:41 AM

Aug 2010
bad voice acting makes hentai good.
Dec 3, 2011 9:15 PM

Jul 2010
Just a little. When most of the characters sound amazing in the english dub, there will always be at least a few characters' voice did not fit at all and it threw me off.

KeiranShikari said:
bad voice acting makes hentai good.

That is so true! lol
Dec 3, 2011 11:19 PM

Sep 2011
Voice acting means a lot to me. If I find a character's voice annoying, I shun them forever. :P
Dec 7, 2011 5:14 PM

Dec 2010
Voice acting makes or breaks it for me
Dec 7, 2011 5:24 PM

Jul 2009
This is bad, but...
I loved FMA Brotherhood and decided I'd buy it once the dub's avaliable (I like to have the option to switch between languages), however, I caught a preview and found Alphonse's voice horrific - this actually put me off buying it!
It wouldn't be so bad if it were a minor character, but now, I may buy it pre-owned in a few years (I get cheap when unimpressed). ; )

Dec 7, 2011 5:35 PM

Jan 2011
Bad voice acting ruins an anime for me. I mostly on watch the Japanese version because it is always spot on with the character. Its very rare to see good english voice acting.
Dec 7, 2011 5:42 PM

Feb 2010
Hellsing Ultimate and Baccano are examples of shows that benefit greatly from an English dub. I honestly listened to those in Japanese and it just didn't feel the same because you can't notice the accents in the Japanese dub.

But yes bad voice acting can ruin a show. I can't watch Elfen Lied in either language because the dub is terrible in English and Japanese.
Dec 8, 2011 1:03 AM
Aug 2011
I watched some dubed animes, but no thanks! I prefer original japanese language with english subs.
Dec 8, 2011 1:14 AM

Aug 2009
Only if its a dubbed version really, I can't really tell if there's bad voice acting in the original because its not in my language and all I really can tell at this point is if there is an annoying voice or not, and I really don't care if their annoying because most of the time that's what the characters suppose to be like: Annoying.
Dec 8, 2011 1:36 AM

Sep 2010
Alfonse said:
Bad voice acting does ruin the experience. But finding bad voice actors is rather difficult unless you're watching some of FUNI's and 4kids's older anime dubs (pre-2003).

pre-2003? Dude I've watched their Hetalia, SGT Frog, and Eden of the East and it sounded like for some roles they just grabbed some people from accounting, marketing, and product design to read lines. Hetalia specifically sounded like a bunch of drunks trying to do stereotypical impressions of the UN.

Dec 9, 2011 9:14 AM

Nov 2009
I tried to watch One Piece in the English dub three years ago I think.. I stopped about half way through the first episode and never went back. I wasn't into watching subs at the time.. but I recently decided to pick up One Piece again, this time in sub.. and it's about a million times better.

So yeah.. it does basically. Not always though, it is nice to hear certain things in your own language and sometimes it's just easier.
Dec 9, 2011 11:08 AM
Sep 2009
How does it not? But that only applies to English dubbed anime because I'm familiar with the tone, accents, etc. I can't really tell with Japanese dubbed shows so I more or less, accept it for what it is.
Dec 9, 2011 11:10 AM
Sep 2009
Cormax said:
The eng dub for Claymore would of been awesome if it wasn't for raki's annoying voice. I'm sure if you watched it you would agree!

Todd Haberkorn is a cool VA, but I absolutely agree. Raki single-handedly raped the Claymore dub. Todd has other awesome role such as Nagasumi and Death the Kidd, but this guy seriously knows how to absolutely dismantle a series due to terrible casting *coughAllenWalkerDGraymancough*
Dec 9, 2011 11:17 AM

Sep 2011
Nah, im a dub only, bad voices could make it a little worse, but i can deal with it,
Follow me on twitter @jaywhy620 if you like wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH) also I talk about anime occasionally and Follow me on Vine @ Awesome Wrestling
Dec 12, 2011 12:35 PM

Jan 2011
It definitely does!!
Which is why I stay away from English dubs, those tend to ruin things for me.

There have even been a FEW animes in japanese where I feel like the main voice actor wasn't a good choice.
But mostly the dubs just kill it.
Dec 12, 2011 12:40 PM

Dec 2011
Voice acting generally doesn't bother me, unless the voice doesn't seem to "fit" the character, but that usually isn't the case. I can watch English dubbed just as fine as Jap subbed, but if I start an anime as Jap subbed, and watch some episodes English dubbed I do feel like its "wrong."

Basically whichever method I start watching the anime in is how I will finish it. The only time I do get bothered is when I'm forced to switch between dubbed/subbed.
Dec 12, 2011 12:45 PM

Apr 2011
I usually don't think about it.
Dec 12, 2011 1:25 PM

Sep 2010
Gooseyyy said:
Cormax said:

Todd Haberkorn is a cool VA, but I absolutely agree. Raki single-handedly raped the Claymore dub. Todd has other awesome role such as Nagasumi and Death the Kidd, but this guy seriously knows how to absolutely dismantle a series due to terrible casting *coughAllenWalkerDGraymancough*

He might be a cool guy and really snappy dresser at cons but his acting in anime sucks. He can do one thing, scream frantically, but if a character needs a range of emotions we are SOL if he is playing them.

Dec 19, 2011 1:16 PM

Dec 2011
Yes definitely. The English dubbed version of Bleach was really weird when I watched it. Orihime's voice was really girly and squeal-ish, but the Japanese version was a more natural sounding voice.
Dec 19, 2011 1:23 PM

Nov 2011
I never saw a problem with the voice acting, because I never watch dubs, lol. Only the original Japanese with subtitles. But for movies... Hell, dubbed movies are terrible.
「レミ咲が今日のティータイム。」- RemiSaku ga kyou no tea time!
Dec 19, 2011 5:07 PM

Jul 2009
Definitely..
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 19, 2011 8:08 PM
Sep 2009
Of course it does.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Dec 19, 2011 9:23 PM
Nov 2011
yes it does especially when the voice doesn't fit the character
Dec 19, 2011 10:05 PM
Apr 2010
Of course it does.
Dec 19, 2011 10:19 PM

Sep 2008
Voice actors like Sugita Tomokazu have too strong of an impression from certain animes (Gintama) for him to not influence other animes (Danshi Koukousei no Nichjou). It's not necessarily bad voice acting that causes this problem, but from reading nicovideo comments, Japanese people tend to be turned off by things like this.
http://www.nicovideo.jp/user/5040721
I'm Japanese, so if you have any questions regarding Japan, feel free to ask.
アメリカ育ちなので、なんか英語に関して質問があれば気軽にどうぞ。
Dec 20, 2011 12:25 AM

May 2009
Anime_Name said:
Gooseyyy said:
Cormax said:

He might be a cool guy and really snappy dresser at cons but his acting in anime sucks. He can do one thing, scream frantically, but if a character needs a range of emotions we are SOL if he is playing them.

I hate everything I've heard him in except holic, I think he is a great Watanuki but I don't think I'll ever like him anything else.

For does bad voice acting ruin an anime for me? Not completely, it can be annoying and lessen enjoyment but I don't think I've ever come across something so bad that it completely ruined an anime for me.
Dec 20, 2011 12:31 AM

Sep 2009
100%

It's hard to enjoy anime when you're cringing at the voices.
Dec 20, 2011 12:44 AM

Dec 2009
yeah....i get really judgmental about dubs, definitely, great VAs make a series awesome and bad ones ruin it. It also stinks when the VA is good, but the casting choice is no good.
Dec 20, 2011 12:54 AM
Jul 2018
That's one of the first things I think about when I rate an anime, so definitely yes. Since in every anime there has to be squealing childish character, I find it extremely annoying if that one's voice in particular wasn't done well. Although, I'd never drop an anime because of bad seiyuus (if it's not a complete disaster), but the difference would certainly be felt in my score.

Furthermore, when it comes to English dubs, I find them terrible. At first I thought it was because I got used to the jap version, but it's not. Seiiyuus devote their whole lives to dubbing anime while in English dubs, they ask the cute child from the Vanish commercial to act as the main character. And it always ends up being terrible.
Jan 3, 2012 2:17 PM

Mar 2010
Not actually ruin, but annoys a lot.
Kiss me. Experience the sweet sweet taste of heaven.
Jan 3, 2012 4:31 PM
May 2009
It won't ruin an anime, but it can affect what I think of the anime as a whole and affects my priority on watching it.
Jan 3, 2012 4:40 PM

Aug 2010
I generally watch the dubs for shows, and if I don't like the voice acting I switch to the japanese, where I don't notice the voice acting due to not speaking the language. It's very rare that both English and japanese will fail me, I think the only thing that has would be Excel saga, I just hate Excel's voice.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» What if all characters, not just main, had infinite mana?

Catalano - 18 seconds ago

0 by Catalano »»
18 seconds ago

» Would you rather watch Anime blind or deaf?

Dragevard - 6 hours ago

15 by Largo_ »»
1 minute ago

» Anime that you started watching because of Social Media

ST63LTH - 51 minutes ago

10 by RobertBobert »»
2 minutes ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime ( 1 2 )

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

55 by maya2003s »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - Yesterday

41 by MeguSae38 »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.