Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Nov 17, 2011 5:29 AM

Feb 2009
LightningFistAce said:
Eh, lol what if Ryuunosuke becomes super epic with madness after that, and goes killing of servants on his own? XD Wait, that's not possible...I know, but still it'd nice to have more Humans vs Servants stuff? :3

It is impossible for a human to fight a Servant. They're spirits that transcend time and are akin to gods. They can only be hurt or beaten with special items/weapons and even then it's difficult to do. Shirou and another person in Heaven's Feel route(people who read the VN should know who it is) are special cases and certain conditions were present so they were able to beat a Servant. But for a Master to fight a Servant here in this war, not a chance and not gonna happen.
Nov 17, 2011 5:40 AM
Aug 2010
AirStyles said:
The soundtracks keep reminding me of Kara no Kyoukai movie series...

Well, it is a ufotable production...

I got a feeling that Emiya's next shot (New gun) is going to be effective.

This show kinda suffers from what most shonen do... which is not killing someone just like that. *snap finger*. I thought Emiya could potentially bring this sort of element to the story(Looking at his history of bringing plane down for one man, sniper shot etc etc.)

Sigh... Then again... Of course it's not going to happen. I'm not that stupid to actually believe it.

They always have to introduce each other, talk about honor and show each other their "secret move" before one is killed.

Nevertheless, the show have been pretty good ^_^

That's because battles DO rely on strategy and timing, and Kayneth is a high level mage that requires tactics to kill. And what are you talking about? Kiritsugu didn't introduce himself or talk about honor at all. What ultimate secret move did Kiritsugu show, exactly? He spent the entire battle assessing Kayneth's magic and thinking of a plan to counter it, and he only pulls out his trump card at the end. He shouts Kayneth's name for a good reason. This kind of practical thinking about how to exploit his enemy's weakness is what makes him the Magus Killer. Expecting him to be able to OHKO every single mage, especially powerful mages with automatic defenses like this one, is way too unrealistic.

It's far, far from a shounen battle. :/

I hate this exactly. Earlier, he had the chance to take out Lancer's Master, but I guess I would also be confused if the lightning struck out like that. He had the chance though, 1 second earlier. D;

That episode freaking explained this. Assassin was on the roof with them so they couldn't shoot or their location would have been found. Even if Assassin is weaker than the others, he's still a servant that can easily kill them, and Saber was busy against Lancer and Berserker so there was no way he could have used her to protect him. In fact, it was actually very lucky that Rider stepped in, because Kiritsugu's shot would have been wasted due to Kayneth's automatic protection. So, if he had tried to take out Lancer's master right then and there, he would have most likely been killed himself due to exposing his position to both Kirei (Assassin) and Kayneth.
SuzushinaYurikoNov 17, 2011 5:44 AM
Nov 17, 2011 8:01 AM

Aug 2011
Pictures of episode 8, BE CAREFUL!!! THIS IS A MAJOR MAJOR SPOILER

Nov 17, 2011 9:55 AM
Mar 2010
belatkuro said:
LightningFistAce said:
Eh, lol what if Ryuunosuke becomes super epic with madness after that, and goes killing of servants on his own? XD Wait, that's not possible...I know, but still it'd nice to have more Humans vs Servants stuff? :3

It is impossible for a human to fight a Servant. They're spirits that transcend time and are akin to gods. They can only be hurt or beaten with special items/weapons and even then it's difficult to do. Shirou and another person in Heaven's Feel route(people who read the VN should know who it is) are special cases and certain conditions were present so they were able to beat a Servant. But for a Master to fight a Servant here in this war, not a chance and not gonna happen.

I know, I know, eh, but there's no harm speculating for something which doesn't have 0 possibility, does it? I mean, for people who watched FSN would probably say the same thing, but Shirou did it in UBW and succeeded at it (I didn't play all of the VN, so i dunno who in Heaven's Feel did it). Emiya (indirectly) tried to blow up Lancer too. And it's only hopeful speculation on my behalf either way.
Nov 17, 2011 10:38 AM

Jun 2008
LightningFistAce said:

I know, I know, eh, but there's no harm speculating for something which doesn't have 0 possibility, does it?

A Magi trying to defeat a Servant is impossible. Shirou has plot armor obviously, He's the fucking protagonist they don't die..., and the other character has something really really rare that made him/her equal to a servant.

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/
Nov 17, 2011 10:49 AM

Aug 2011
kaimax said:
LightningFistAce said:

I know, I know, eh, but there's no harm speculating for something which doesn't have 0 possibility, does it?

A Magi trying to defeat a Servant is impossible. Shirou has plot armor obviously, He's the fucking protagonist they don't die..., and the other character has something really really rare that made him/her equal to a servant.

Yeah, but it is still something ridiculous to see... A master killing a servant.
Nov 17, 2011 10:55 AM
Mar 2010
Fine, i guess. You guys won't have a human defeat a servant (neglecting cases where it has happened, because there's no way anyone will have plot armor this time, or well any special items that lets them beat servants). Like if Kayneth didn't have his Hg familiar, there's no way Kiritsugu couldn't have been successful in his bombing attempt, eh? No, Fate Zero predeclared something about no special items and absolutely no special circumstances either this time around i guess? I missed the disclaimer, crap. :V

Oh well, considering what i speculated won't be happening I still eagerly await the next episode for something that might actually happen. Rider gets pants on next episode? :o
LightningFistAceNov 17, 2011 11:00 AM
Nov 17, 2011 11:22 AM

Feb 2010
One of the things that really bothered me initially in this episode was Kiritsugu calling out Kayneth's name. Which I couldn't comprehend for quite a long time. And Kiritsugu never did that in the light novel. I thought it was really weird and un-Kiritsugu-like to do.

SuzukaYuriko said:
That's because battles DO rely on strategy and timing, and Kayneth is a high level mage that requires tactics to kill. And what are you talking about? Kiritsugu didn't introduce himself or talk about honor at all. What ultimate secret move did Kiritsugu show, exactly? He spent the entire battle assessing Kayneth's magic and thinking of a plan to counter it, and he only pulls out his trump card at the end. He shouts Kayneth's name for a good reason. This kind of practical thinking about how to exploit his enemy's weakness is what makes him the Magus Killer. Expecting him to be able to OHKO every single mage, especially powerful mages with automatic defenses like this one, is way too unrealistic.

It's far, far from a shounen battle. :/

However, after reading your post, especially the bolded part, somehow something clicked and I finally understood why Ufotable animated the scene where Kiritsugu called out Kayneth's name, which I still find it unnecessary, but not totally out of place (once I saw it in a different light). So this part doesn't bother me as much as before.

However, I'm not completely satisfied with the way they have been handling Kiritsugu's characterization. I'm glad they kept the scene with Kiritsugu telling Irisviel that part of him wanted to run away from the Grail War. However, like ringoo4 said, his character development definitely feels too rushed..that his deep characterization isnt as well developed and clearly defined as it could have been.
Nov 17, 2011 2:58 PM

Apr 2011
Awesome show, only give it a -1 because of the blatant censorship during Caster's slaughter. I heard the new laws in Japan would really fuck up the anime, and they were definitely right. There's no violence allowed against minors apparently, which blows goats since 99% of anime is about characters 18 and under. Stupid lawmakers and their idiotic censorship. >_<

4/5
Nov 18, 2011 2:36 AM

Jul 2007
sallym613 said:

However, I'm not completely satisfied with the way they have been handling Kiritsugu's characterization. I'm glad they kept the scene with Kiritsugu telling Irisviel that part of him wanted to run away from the Grail War. However, like ringoo4 said, his character development definitely feels too rushed..that his deep characterization isnt as well developed and clearly defined as it could have been.

I am betting this has to od with F/zero movie in development, which will most likely be a heavily expanded Heart of Freaks.

Gamaliel said:
kaimax said:
LightningFistAce said:

Yeah, but it is still something ridiculous to see... A master killing a servant.

Shirou doe snot just have plot armour. His whole powerset is designed around (hell he has a specific move specifically meant for killing servants). combating stuff like that and he would STILL get wasted by most of full-power servants.

Shirou and certain other character(s) are exceptions. HUGE exceptions and even those exceptions are horribly outclassed by even lowest servants.
Nov 18, 2011 8:07 AM

Feb 2010
Fai said:
sallym613 said:

I am betting this has to od with F/zero movie in development, which will most likely be a heavily expanded Heart of Freaks.

I'll be excited if that were true ^
But I still think that they shouldnt be choppy with handling Kiritsugu's characterization in the anime adaptation, regardless of whether they'll make that movie or not. Especially since it's quite central to his conflict with Kirei. Btw, speaking of Kirei, I also feel like they could have handled his characterization better.
It's not as rushed and underdeveloped as Kiritsugu but there were some scenes (particularly episode...6?) where I felt that ^

Then again, it could just be me because I have been rereading the light novel (many times lol) and I do follow the details very closely. I'm probably having unrealistically high expectations for the adaptation to follow every single detail.

It's not that I despise the anime adaptation so far. In fact, I mostly enjoyed it. For me personally, even though there were little flaws I saw and there were some little details being omitted (that could have been added), I thought the first 5 episodes were perfect (or nearly perfect).

I think episode 6 is when I started feeling somewhat unsatisfied. It's probably due to all of the cuts that they had to make...and the transitions don't feel as smooth as it did the first 5 episodes. In another thread, I learned that they had to cut some parts of the scene with Kiritsugu, Irisviel and Saber in this episode. Which I think is essential to developing Kiritsugu's character. So, I'm actually hoping that I'll get to see the uncensored cuts so I can judge the anime more..fairly as a whole?

But then again, we only have 7 episodes so far so I'm still hoping that they'll use those later opportunities to expand more on Kiritsugu's character.

*Looks at my comment*
Oops. Didn't expect my reply comment to be this long .__.
Nov 18, 2011 4:42 PM

Jan 2009
sallym613 you are basically felling what every persona4 fan is going through since episode 1 of this season. The source is just WAY to much material for 20 min episodes. I'm very impressed with scenes like kirei/gilgamesh talk being there at all. It is a shame for the scenes that didn't make it, and I will be the first in the donations box line for a full season of 47 minutes episodes with every detail in the novels, but we gotta keep current anime industry realities in mind too.
Nov 18, 2011 5:18 PM

Feb 2010
Faker_ said:
sallym613 you are basically felling what every persona4 fan is going through since episode 1 of this season. The source is just WAY to much material for 20 min episodes. I'm very impressed with scenes like kirei/gilgamesh talk being there at all. It is a shame for the scenes that didn't make it, and I will be the first in the donations box line for a full season of 47 minutes episodes with every detail in the novels, but we gotta keep current anime industry realities in mind too.

I know. But it's still hard for me especially when I really enjoyed reading the details in the LN (and the fact that I have been rereading the LN lately doesn't help lol).

I did say before that I highly enjoyed the first 5 episodes, even though there were some things cut off from the LN. And I am also glad that they added in Kirei/Gilgamesh scene. It's just that...episode 6 in particular just felt a little funny and rushed to me compared to the other episodes. Not to mention that I noticed a bit of a drop in animation quality or just some weird animation quirks in that episode too

Or maybe I just need to lower down my ridiculously high expectations...if I can.
Nov 18, 2011 5:49 PM

Jan 2009
6 weeks ago we were crying with joy at the 9000% improvement over DEEN. Now that we experienced UFOTABLE, perfecttion is within reach, we can almost taste it. I understand that very well mate. I will let you in a sad secret. Kiritsugu's hair is a bitch to animate in a way that looks good. My sister draws doujin and she was telling me, his hair style is good in manga/VN static CG, but animator need to have camera angle and lightning in mind much more when he is on screen than other characters. You said you are reading the LN again. Watch the first episodes again too. Animation is not going down, its still top notch, but we are getting used to it. And more kiritsugu moving/runing/shooting around in places with bright light from multiple points is apparently a major challenge for animators. Pay attention. He's way cooler when he is static in a dark corner, or being kissed and just talking with Maya with the light(sunset) coming from a single direction than when he is using a reality marble while running and gunning in a well illuminated castle.
Nov 18, 2011 6:17 PM

Feb 2010
@ Faker_: Uhh. Well..I was definitely excited to see Ufotable animating Fate/Zero. And I think they are definitely doing a wonderful job with the adaptation so far. But umm..I think you misunderstood some parts of what I said.

I never said I have any problem with how Kiritsugu looks like in the adaptation because he actually looks perfectly fine and the way I imagined him to look like.

My main issue is how underdeveloped his personality/character feels in the episodes so far, which is understandable considering how, like you said before, there's so much material in LN that there's no way the adaptation can cover everything, especially they have a 24-min. limit to their episodes. I still wish they could have handled it a little better, but again I might be unrealistic here.

Also, I never said the animation (or at least the quality) is going downhill as we get into later episodes. I'm not sure if this is what you're trying to say but I do want to say that I did notice few funny-looking scenes in episode 6. They seem to have maintain the high quality (of the first 5 episodes) in episode 7 so I'm okay with episode 7's animation.

When I mentioned about the "cuts", what I meant to say is the weird transition from one different scene/location to another. Or again, it could just be me. I am planning to rewatch Fate/Zero once it's finished so that I can readjust my judging of the show overall.
Nov 18, 2011 6:55 PM

Jan 2009
Yeah I mostly agree with everything you say. I'm not trying to prove you wrong or anything, just adding my bits too. Sometimes it feels way to rushed when they are staring at each other being dramatic in a "you can't fight honorably saber, its an order!" moment to 3 minutes she's rushing towards caster with everyone's blessing. Yeah I wish the transitions were handled better, but the whole episode felt like 5 minutes while all my house clocks send me undeniable proof that it was 20+min, so I don't see what they could have done better.
Nov 18, 2011 7:47 PM

Feb 2010
Faker_ said:
Yeah I mostly agree with everything you say. I'm not trying to prove you wrong or anything, just adding my bits too. Sometimes it feels way to rushed when they are staring at each other being dramatic in a "you can't fight honorably saber, its an order!" moment to 3 minutes she's rushing towards caster with everyone's blessing. Yeah I wish the transitions were handled better, but the whole episode felt like 5 minutes while all my house clocks send me undeniable proof that it was 20+min, so I don't see what they could have done better.

Hmm mm. I felt the same way during that specific scene that you've mentioned.
Since they are limited to 20ish minutes for each episode, they will definitely have to cut things out. I wish that each episode is an hour long instead, but I know that's not going to be possible xD That would probably cut too much into their budget lol.

But anyways, I am very well aware that I'm having unrealistic, too high expectations for the anime to get everything from the LN..so I'll probably try not to reread the LN for a while (unless it's for confirmation purposes). And I'll try to be unbiased towards the anime and look at it without comparing it so much to the LN.
Nov 18, 2011 8:00 PM

Oct 2009
It's worth adding that Ufotable have said that there will be additional scenes in the bluray version so some of the stuff from the novel that's been left out so far should find its way back in.

Still, you can't expect the same kind of development in this adaptation, not just because of time restraints but because of the limits of the medium itself.

In a novel when an author wants the reader to know about an internal conflict that a character's having or what the character's thinking they simply explain it in expository text, in an Anime you'd need a narrator to explain it or you'd need to have inner monologues from characters near constantly to keep every detail from the novel in there.
Nov 20, 2011 5:47 AM

Apr 2010
Caster made himself popular with his actions tho why aren't there more masters in the area since it appears that some are keeping an eye on others.
I also feel sorry for those kids that was certainly a cruel way to lure Saber out i wonder if Caster will ever except the truth about her.

Then there is Iresviel who is more with Saber then Emiya i wonder if she isn't the master since she is protected more then Emiya.
It's a case of the lure being the master from what it looks like.
Nov 22, 2011 6:23 AM

Sep 2010
Sanguis said:
I really want Caster to go die a slow and painful death now.

Me too.
Great episode anyway.
𝓻𝓮𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓷 𝓽𝓸 𝓖𝓾𝓼𝓾 𝔀𝓲𝓽𝓱 𝓶𝓮

Nov 22, 2011 11:26 AM

Mar 2011
Caster is a douche, man. He trolled Saber pretty hard.
Nov 23, 2011 3:02 AM

Feb 2009
The fight with Kayneth was nice.
"This Forest isn't going to reveal all its secrets for the likes of you."
Dec 3, 2011 5:46 AM

Apr 2009
Well, another great episode. Having Kayneth die immediately in the building bombing was too good to be true, though. Looks like Kiritsugu just pulled out his trump card at the end of the episode. I'm sure the next episode isn't called Magus Killer for nothing. The only other thing I can say at the moment is that I'm pleased with the consistency of high quality animation by ufotable over all these episodes so far.
Dec 16, 2011 9:55 AM
Mar 2009
Fate/Zero is getting more and more interesting!
I love the matter that Saber is fighting on this serie and I start to like Kiritsugu.
And WTF Rider and thar t-shirt?

Lancer appearared once again and to fight with saber!!!
Dec 21, 2011 9:19 PM

Mar 2009
This was on YouTube, but I couldn't find the video anymore, so I made a GIF since I figured THERE'S JUST NOT ENOUGH RIDER AND HIS MANLY SHIRT (tiny version in my sig XD).

sentiariiJan 28, 2012 1:55 AM
Jan 27, 2012 4:52 AM

Aug 2010
I wonder how is he going to take on Kayneth

He's just way too hax
Feb 23, 2012 3:46 PM
Mar 2010
This is too awesome, every episode so far is great and I'm always wanting to watch more.
Glad to see Kiritsugu fight and guess he has something planned with the different gun.
Mar 7, 2012 3:23 AM

Jan 2012
kiritsugu's magic: time alter sounds cool to me, but lancer's master's (forgot name) magic looks terrifying, controling that liquid or whatever..

lancer come to the rescue!!! it's great to see lancer and saber fighting together to defeat caster LOL
Mar 23, 2012 6:45 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
This is a really good series. Much better than FSN. The battles alone are totally worth it.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 6, 2012 4:26 PM

Nov 2011
Apr 21, 2012 7:29 PM

Jun 2009
About how the scenes transitioned from the meeting to Kiritsugu freaking out over Kotomine. Yeah, it felt unnatural, but I think that was a strength as it perfectly contrasted the different sides of his personality. One minute you seem him all but ignoring Saber's plea to stop Caster, then you see him fearing for his life with Irisviel, and then when he realizes Caster is around he immediately dropped his emotions, I thought that was really well portrayed imo.

Also, the lack of censors in the Blu-ray really, really improved the episode.
Ston3_FreeN7Apr 21, 2012 7:33 PM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 24, 2012 5:51 PM

Jan 2010
Linkark07 said:
Only thing I complain of this episode is no Emiya theme when Kiritsugu activated Time Alter.

The music that did begin then reminds me of Madoka Magica's darker moments.
Apr 29, 2012 10:55 AM

Mar 2012
The part with Alexander/Ishkandar was very funny :) and what a cliffhanger at the ending of the ep.

And, DIE Caster DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE!!!!
May 21, 2012 8:18 PM

Jul 2011
Wow so Kiri has a reality marble huh?

But readers of F/SN, are any of you......

May 22, 2012 1:30 AM

Nov 2011
Kiritsugu treating Saber like absolute dirt; interesting contrast compared to F/S.

I feel really bad for Lancer, such a cruel mismatch of master and servant.
AzureBluesMay 22, 2012 1:34 AM
Aug 8, 2012 6:02 PM

Mar 2012
Damn censorship...
End Zionazism
Aug 8, 2012 6:08 PM

May 2009
Mikasa said:
Damn censorship...
Why aren't you watching the BD? It's uncensored and has added scenes.
Aug 8, 2012 6:14 PM

Mar 2012
stAtic91 said:
Mikasa said:
Damn censorship...
Why aren't you watching the BD? It's uncensored and has added scenes.

What's BD? Where can I find it? :O
End Zionazism
Aug 8, 2012 6:26 PM

May 2009
BD is Blu-ray Disc. UTW has translated it: http://utw.me/2012/04/05/fatezero-season-1-bd-batches/
Aug 8, 2012 7:04 PM

Apr 2011
stAtic91 said:
BD is Blu-ray Disc. UTW has translated it: http://utw.me/2012/04/05/fatezero-season-1-bd-batches/

F/Z is damn beautiful in 1080, at least on my 50inch flat-screen. Oh, the eyecandy.
Sep 11, 2012 2:02 PM

Sep 2011
Looking forward to the battle.
Sep 13, 2012 3:51 AM
Jul 2018
Kiritsugu is badass!
Sep 13, 2012 2:38 PM

Apr 2010
Thanks to BD quality, no censorship for me. This episode is a win! Lancer and Saber side to side fight. Best Servant pairing so far.
Sep 14, 2012 12:09 AM

Mar 2009
Amazing battles.
Sep 14, 2012 7:24 PM

Nov 2011
Wow, these battles are freakin epic! =D

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Sep 28, 2012 12:49 PM

Feb 2011
OAO Lancer was too cool at that scene xD
Nov 27, 2012 1:01 PM

Jul 2012
This is just getting better and better :O i love it ! :)
Dec 18, 2012 2:59 AM

Jul 2010
The characters are great, but I'm still finding the plot a bit lacking. I love the saber/lancer bromance.
Dec 20, 2012 10:04 PM

Nov 2009
saber/lancer bromance? They aren't both male ... just saying. Anyways looks like he has an anti-mage bullet there, which I guess would work pretty well when someone is arrogant enough to believe their is no way the gun can pierce their defenses.
Mar 3, 2013 7:54 AM

Jan 2012
I really enjoy the fact that Lancer and Saber teamed up. Can't wait to see how the fights plays out.

Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

» The ufotable Production

BigHomieTrapa - Apr 11

2 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 15, 1:53 AM

Poll: » Fate/Zero Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

a6342164 - Oct 29, 2011

459 by JacobRitacco »»
Mar 15, 12:23 AM

Poll: » Fate/zero Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Oct 1, 2011

698 by damnit_tomioka »»
Mar 9, 1:25 AM

» Who's your favorite servant?

Ms_Muffin - Feb 19

47 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Feb 28, 5:46 PM

» Im about to start this but confused

TabutcuEmmi - Feb 7

44 by RulyKinkajou59 »»
Feb 10, 3:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.