Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 10, 2008 7:00 AM

Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I liked the levitation magic to stop the truck but seems Sora had some difficulty of mastering the spell. In the end it worked out. One of the guys seems to have a complex that makes unable to use magic and somehow now it's making Sora feel bad. Nice ice magic practice and Sora's creation was not a chandelier but a sporadic formed shape that happens to look in the form of a chandelier. Other than that the scenery is amazing. Tokyo is great!
Oops! I appear to be incapable of following Rules 16 and 17, so I had to have a mod change my sig for me.
Jul 11, 2008 4:49 AM

Aug 2007
Oh man, this episode made me really, really nostalgic for Shimokitazawa (when I lived in Japan I was a few stops down on the Keio line and would go there often to hang out). HAL FILMMAKER's animation/photography is really amazing and captured the spirit of the town well!
Jul 13, 2008 4:05 AM

Jan 2008
i agree with u guys, scenery of Tokyo and the details were amazing, yet scary xD This episode was nice apart from the art as well, the real training will start after this ep, i guess, there will be much more entertaining moments ^^
Jul 13, 2008 4:42 AM

Feb 2008
I like this episode.
And I agree too with you. Tokyo in photos is amazing. :3
Jul 13, 2008 5:33 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
I really liked this episode, it had a very relaxing atmosphere. The song by the girl with the guitar was nice too. I'm looking forward to more.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jul 13, 2008 8:42 AM

Apr 2008
from watching this episode I was sure there were backgrounds that were actual footage of Tokyo rather then being...whatever it is they do to 'anime-ise' them, they look far too realistic!

And the episode was pretty good, looking forward to more.
Jul 13, 2008 11:35 AM

Jul 2008
I am finding myself enjoying this show for the same reasons as cyruz. The only thing that gets to me is the art for the background is so great but the characters are so flat. Overall though, good episode.

KKDW said:
from watching this episode I was sure there were backgrounds that were actual footage of Tokyo rather then being...whatever it is they do to 'anime-ise' them, they look far too realistic!

And the episode was pretty good, looking forward to more.

I was thinking that too. I've done similar things with Adobe Photoshop where I made a real picture look like a painting. They just seemed to put a little more work into it to cover every little detail per scene and in addition, as would be expected, add animation to scenes such as water and sky.
Jul 13, 2008 2:43 PM

Apr 2008
Very nice episode. Things are slowly unfolding, perhaps to slowly.. there are only 12 episodes, unless there is going to be a second season I don't see how they're going to tell an entire story in 12 episodes. I wondered why she yelled angrily when she was turning the water into ice though.

Jul 13, 2008 7:49 PM

Feb 2008
for some reason the beginning of this episode really reminded me of aria.
good series so far, but it looks like it may become very predictable very soon. hopefully i'm wrong :)
Jul 13, 2008 9:09 PM

Feb 2008
meh, felt like the first season's first episode. but man was this episode a bore.... its so slow and uninteresting. i really hope things start to pick up later.

i just cant get used to the the background and enviromental animation. it just doesnt go with the character animation, they just seem to clash with one another. that is real world back ground they are using right? not just ultra high res CG? i cant tell anymore lol.
Jul 14, 2008 12:48 AM

Mar 2008
Very nice episode. I wasn't expecting much, but this episode surprised me. I find the main girl a bit annoying, but this is slice of life at it's best! It's very interesting to see some of the many aspects of Tokyo in real photos. Even the plot was not boring at all, even if it was nothing great. I really thought about dropping this, but after this episode I won't.

Goku said:
i agree with u guys, scenery of Tokyo and the details were amazing, yet scary xD

Why scary? When you use filmed/photographed footage from Tokyo as backgrounds for an anime the details are natural. It would be way too much work to take out the details. :P
They obviously don't even try to hide the fact that they use photos without even editing most of it in some way, apart from putting the drawn things into it.

kisami said:
that is real world back ground they are using right? not just ultra high res CG?

Yes, it's real world photos they are using. I mean you've seen the cars right? When they move the cars are drawn, when they stand they are real cars from photos. Look here:

Jul 14, 2008 8:54 AM

Dec 2007
This episode was very nice. The pace is very slow but it doesn't bother me.
Btw,I am the oinly one who thinks that the boy's cap is the same as Ash Ketchum's ?
Jul 14, 2008 2:06 PM

Jun 2008
I fell in love with this series at first sight. I love it, love it, love it. :]

You can read about how much I love it on my website. *entice entice*
Jul 16, 2008 7:50 AM

Dec 2007
Nice episode. The scenery was great ^^
The pace is still a bit slow for me. I'll hope it'll pick up later on.
Jul 16, 2008 8:00 PM

Jan 2008
I like this episode. Sora stopping the truck was very impressive, though to bad she hasn't mastered with controlling her powers yet.
The song sung by the girl at the station was very nice :3
Jul 17, 2008 12:28 AM

Feb 2008
I loved this episode, pace picked up from last episode which I'm pleased about.
The music for this show is wonderful. That song at the station was lovely.
Jul 18, 2008 6:42 PM

Apr 2007
I am in love with this show. Slice of life at its best, and im loving the animation now. Wish I could just marathon the whole show, I can't wait for the next episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 21, 2008 10:21 AM

Feb 2008
aaa the real world/animated mixing just trips me out...
Aug 19, 2008 10:55 PM

May 2008
Damn this needs some red bull to get going.... xD
Aug 20, 2008 8:47 AM

Jul 2008
Siing said:
I am in love with this show. Slice of life at its best, and im loving the animation now. Wish I could just marathon the whole show, I can't wait for the next episode.

Well...you can...after it is all subbed and by the way I will do it too! ^_^
Oops! I appear to be incapable of following Rules 16 and 17, so I had to have a mod change my sig for me.
Jul 27, 2009 2:49 PM

Jan 2009
I thought it was pretty good, but why was her mom waving in the opposite direction when she left in the truck? Was that a production mistake?
Oh, and I don't really like the magic idea in a show as realistic as this, but let's see how that turns out.
ArieISep 1, 2009 11:44 AM
Sep 5, 2010 8:32 PM

Sep 2008
I already like this more than the first series of Mahou Tsukai.
Must the the backgrounds.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 11, 2011 8:58 AM

Mar 2010
i liked the jellyfish song..
Mar 12, 2012 12:47 AM

Sep 2011
This episode was much better than the first one in my opinion. Actually this should have been the first episode. LOL Anyways, seems interesting so I will continue watching! :)
Sep 23, 2012 12:30 PM

Sep 2012
Lol, the man in the flying truck kept this hand on the steering wheel the whole time...
Feb 24, 2013 5:55 PM

Nov 2011
I really love the OP song for this series tbh. At any rate, the promise:

That's a strange motto though:

Trial and error.

The insert song at the 17:00 mark was kinda sweet imo.
Jun 16, 2014 2:46 PM

May 2012
Quite like how they integrate real picture and everything that's drawn! Pretty impressively done and with the nice filter on top of it, it sure looks great!

Some sweet development as well so let's see what's next!
Jun 18, 2014 10:39 PM

Jan 2013
That acoustic jellyfish song. I love moments like that in anime. I want to hear it all.

Nice to have the magic fleshed out a bit more. I want to continue to see magic exercises like making ice.

Sora seems to be unkownly gifted
Oct 27, 2014 5:24 AM

Nov 2011

I can see it now. The only things that I'll truly end up hating are #1, the highly mediocre art and #2, the transitioning.

It may have been better if Yuasa Masaaki worked on this. His kind of art is more acceptable than what we have here. It looks sloppily done (though the backgrounds wouldn't be photographs anymore since that isn't his style). I thought that finally the transitioning had become way better, since everything flowed well enough in everything. I can't believe that it just faded out while she was still talking, then suddenly, the ED. Other than those, everything is great. The streets are GREAT to look at! And the people that populate them make it even better.

Realism in anime is great, especially if it's in things like Slice-of-Life. It gives it a completeness in its meaning, as to show and give you something in life.

Beautiful crystal this is.

RediceRyan said:
That acoustic jellyfish song. I love moments like that in anime. I want to hear it all.

Nice to have the magic fleshed out a bit more. I want to continue to see magic exercises like making ice.

Sora seems to be unkownly gifted

I thought that someone from Kuragehime would make a cameo lolol
Jan 31, 2016 7:29 AM

Jul 2014
That IMO was better than the first episode.

Stark700 said:
The insert song at the 17:00 mark was kinda sweet imo.
Anyone knows the title of this insert song?
Aug 14, 2016 2:37 PM

Jun 2013
Much better than the first episode in my opinion!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto ~Natsu no Sora~ Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Sep 25, 2008

68 by ProxyLain »»
Oct 4, 2023 7:46 PM

Poll: » Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto ~Natsu no Sora~ Episode 11 Discussion

angel999 - Sep 18, 2008

20 by ProxyLain »»
Oct 4, 2023 7:27 PM

Poll: » Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto ~Natsu no Sora~ Episode 6 Discussion

lostty - Aug 26, 2008

11 by ProxyLain »»
Sep 22, 2023 10:58 PM

Poll: » Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto ~Natsu no Sora~ Episode 3 Discussion

angel999 - Jul 16, 2008

28 by ProxyLain »»
Sep 12, 2023 3:02 PM

Poll: » Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto ~Natsu no Sora~ Episode 9 Discussion

angel999 - Sep 4, 2008

25 by bucciest »»
Dec 28, 2022 8:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.