Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Aug 8, 2011 2:08 AM

Jan 2010
Crying at the scene after the credits. You know what, I'm crying at the entire episode. From when Rin was crying before the OP till Daikichi started crying.
"I'll hold you the next time you cry, Daikichi!" ;________________;
Aug 8, 2011 4:01 PM

Oct 2010
FZeroSkull said:
Omg, she's a magaka! (Bakuman fan in me coming out haha)
Amazing episode as usual, gotta love this show!
Yeah, I think Rin would be better off with Daikichi the way her mom was (very out of it, not taking her opinion, etc.)

RobUsaB said:
So here I am practicing my piano arrangement of High, High, High so I can record it for youtube. Then I take a break and watch the newest ep of Usagi Drop, and what do I hear in the cafe scene... A piano arrangement of High High High! D'oh.

It's a much for lounge style though, which is probably a lot easier to play than my version which is more of a transcription of the ending theme at full tempo.

BTW, my version is available at my blog or on youtube. http://robusab.blogspot.com/2011/07/new-arrangement-high-high-high-usagi.html is the easiest way. ^^

Sounds awesome!

Thanks very much! I'm almost ready to make a real recording of it. ;)
Visit my blog for my anime and video game sheet music! http://robusab.blogspot.com
Aug 8, 2011 10:18 PM

Apr 2009
Rin is such a lovely character. Man, oh man, I just want this anime to go on and on. 11 episode cap? Screw that, I want to see Rin grow and mature for 500 episodes, see all her develop through middle school, high school, college, adulthood or whatnot.
Aug 9, 2011 12:22 AM

Apr 2008
After the ED, Rin and Daikichi were talking about being held; it was such a good moment!! It hit my emotions pretty hard when Daikichi said "I don't know if I'm raising Rin or if she's raising me". I'm sure many parents feel the same way, as my parents have said the same to me because that's what parenting is -- you learn from your children as much as they learn from you. This show has just made my A list.

As for Rin's mother, Yoshi Masako, I liked her. She seems a bit selfish but I have a feeling she'll make her amends... she's obviously NOT enjoying her life (binge eating yogurt LOL). So, she might eventually try to come back for Rin... and just gonna call it out now -- I predict her boyfriend is the real father. o_O. i hope not though.
Aug 9, 2011 10:35 AM
Jul 2010
Murbella said:

I didn't really like the "just Daikichi scene." It seemed very unrealistic and fell flat. Daikichi, against all odds, works up the courage to adopt rin and then also works up the courage to ask her about it, but she just shoots him down with a lame line that should have been hurtful. It would be the same situation as if he confessed his love for that attractive mother, but she said she wanted to stay friends that "Daikichi should just stay Daikichi."

Daikichi is focusing his entire life around Rin and being her father in all but name, but she still wants to think of him as "some relative of my real father."

/agree, that scene was good in the manga though.

edit: oh shi there's only going to be 11 episodes? if they are going to cover the whole story with that wow it's going to be so rushed
Aug 9, 2011 5:46 PM

Oct 2007
I love how people just hating Rin's mother because she is useless. What is so good about hating someone who know themselves are useless?

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Aug 11, 2011 5:53 AM

Aug 2007
Rin is really a cute girl. But WTF with his mom, I want to know more about heer.
Aug 14, 2011 5:47 AM

Aug 2008
Yeah I don't really like the mother. At first I thought she was voiced by Mamiko Noto, I'm so glad it wasn't her.
Aug 16, 2011 11:13 AM

Jan 2011
Best episode so far. What a beautiful anime that is. Mothers like Rin's should be punished.
Aug 16, 2011 11:35 AM

May 2011
KoizumiRisa said:
I'm also starting to think that Grandpa isn't Rin's biological father, especially after seeing Masako with her young boyfriend. I really want to know more about them, I'm sure there's something more she didn't tell Daikichi. But she seems really odd, I have to admit. (well, she's an artist after all lol)

I don't know what to think about Rin refusing Daikichi to adopt her... But I didn't find it unrealistic, children DO tend to behave a way one wouldn't expect.

Well, I wish my six-year-old niece was as cute and smart as Rin. x'D (She's more like Reina... ^^;)

I do have a hunch that Rin isn't exactly Grandad's daughter. Maybe Rin is a daughter of her mother with another man who left her after he knew she was pregnant, or maybe her daughter with her boyfriend, but they don't bother to raise her because of a lot of things.
Aug 17, 2011 9:18 AM
Feb 2009
masako is just too weird to be rin's nmother...
oblivious is a bliss
Aug 18, 2011 2:10 AM

Jan 2010
Maaya's voice is in that bloody woman, raaaage >A<
Aug 18, 2011 10:05 AM

Jul 2011
Considering the ending of the manga i started to doubt is it worth watching ...
savis_90Aug 18, 2011 10:20 AM
Aug 31, 2011 10:00 PM
Feb 2009
damn who's that guy at the end??
Sep 4, 2011 4:03 AM

Oct 2007
wow the baby on the train in the beginning has some crazy freaky laugh...
Sep 5, 2011 7:22 PM

Mar 2011
"Daikichi should just stay Daikichi." - Forever alone.

That ending was awesome.
Sep 6, 2011 3:08 AM

Sep 2010
aww the ending made me tear up a bit. "No matter how old you are I will still hold you if you cry" Aww Daikichi thats so sweet. T_T
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Sep 10, 2011 11:54 PM

Apr 2011
This was good, somehow when I see Rin and Daikichi I just get the anime of Twin Spica in my head. I suppose I can see why.
Apologies, I just can't avoid to rant.
Sep 20, 2011 4:51 AM

Sep 2008
Murbella said:
I can't see his grandfather being the biological father of Rin. His grandfather was EXTREMELY old and looked it. Rin's mother, even now, is a very young looking and extremely attractive woman. Age gaps are one thing, but this is a bit much to take seriously in the current circumstances.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rin's Mother's current boyfriend is actually the father. Rin does have to get that blond hair from somewhere and neither her mother or anyone in Daikichi's family is blond from what i remember. Even though this is an anime (ie characters often have crazy hair colors), it seems to be trying to stick to realistic hair colors and her hair being blond when both the confirmed mother and almost all of the named father's family has very dark brown hair sticks out.

Current boyfriend... or maybe even a previous one. Is Rin's mother the type of woman who could keep up a lasting relationship for close to seven years? (Rin is six, so that plus nine months of pregnancy would mean that Rin's mother would have to have conceived her almost seven years ago.) She didn't seem like that sort of person to me - just because of her immaturity. How old is she, actually? For all we know she had Rin as a high school student and is now 24-ish or something. Unless I totally missed them giving out her age somewhere.

Anyway, I agree that it seems kind of unlikely that Daikichi's grandfather is Rin's father. Maybe Rin's mother did something similar to the grandfather that she did to Daikichi in this episode - which is get someone else to sign on as Rin's guardian or parent, so she wouldn't have the primary responsibility of looking after Rin.

The episode was really good, but I'll agree with others as well that the mother was just... a complete disappointment. The rest was great, and it was interesting to see how they seemed to try to make the animation seem "better" at the very, very end of the episode, after the ED... It was a cute scene, for sure, but the animation of their mouths seemed a little awkward. XD Like the animation directors were trying a little too hard, or something.
Nov 3, 2011 12:18 PM

Feb 2009
Her mother is... well, human. A very flawed human for abandoning her child, but I can't imagine the pressure of what it must be. She's paying for it for living with a huge guilt complex.

And that last scene was amaaazzzing, Rin is the most adorable anime character of all time! So innocent and at the same time so mature.
Nov 6, 2011 2:40 AM

Jun 2011
Veethorn said:
And that last scene was amaaazzzing, Rin is the most adorable anime character of all time! So innocent and at the same time so mature.

I agree with you, she is so adorable!!

I went teary eyed at her saying she'd hold Daikichi the next time he cried! They're just adorable in all their scenes together :D!!
Nov 15, 2011 2:00 PM

Jun 2009
I think Rin and Daikichi are two of the most believable characters I've ever seen in anime. Great stuff so far.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 18, 2011 8:48 AM

Jul 2010
I'm really not a fan of Masako.. :/ She annoys me. I know Grandpa said she's just misunderstood, but I just can't get around to appreciating her. She should be one of the moms crying for Rin as she graduates nursery school. Every child NEEDS a mom. It's a fact. I feel so bad for Rin having such an awkard and confuzzled mother. A mother has to be completely focused on her child. I understand that she is a human being; she can't be perfect. It just annoys me that Daikichi, someone who only met her a few months before, is able to demote himself from his job and take so many sacrifices so he can be with her and raise her well. Masako just blames it on her job when it's actually her own fault. I can see clearly that she's guilt-ridden because of that, but it's really her own fault. If she was true to Grandpa (I actually don't think this is Grandpa's child, but we'll see) and her child and really left her awkwardness behind to love them with her all; this wouldn't be happening.

"Am I raising Rin, or is Rin raising me?" - Deepest phrase so far :), Rin IS raising you Daikichi! She's making you so much better. It's gonna go in my signature after I finish Usagi Drop :D.

I want Masako to realize how mean she is and I want her to cry and rush to Rin :)

5/5 - Great episode. Made me angry, but that's good :)

To the next episode~! (I love when you're sick; it's anime marathon time! :3)

P.S. Like other people said, I too believe that Grandpa isn't the REAL father of Rin. I believe it is just not right for an young woman like her to get hooked up with Grandpa. Also, he's just too good of a guy to do something like that. What I really think is she had the child with that man she's living with. Then, there must have been some problem, like them not being able to raise the child with the money they had. Grandpa must have found them and stepped in; going as far as saying the child is his. It's really a selfless thing and I hope that something like this is the truth. :)
fishergirl16Nov 18, 2011 8:58 AM
Dec 5, 2011 4:31 AM
Nov 2009
Cirris said:

MAJOR SPOILER...

holy fuck nuggets, it says major spoiler but i still open it ;_; why do i keep doing that
Dec 10, 2011 11:19 PM

Sep 2011
Loved this episode! Sooo heart-warming!!! :D
Dec 22, 2011 12:11 AM

Aug 2011
torrentsven said:
Cirris said:

MAJOR SPOILER...

holy fuck nuggets, it says major spoiler but i still open it ;_; why do i keep doing that

yeah i couldn't resist either -_-

man another great episode! the ending was so sweet! and the hug was awesome lol at am i raising rin or is she raising me
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 6, 2012 10:08 PM

May 2009
She wants to be a famous mangaka, yeah, but come the f on, why did you have a daughter then? Ugh, annoys me so much.
Rin is lovely, but I wanted her to accept Daikichi's proposal.
The final scene was so cute!

Sometimes I can hear my bones straining under the weight of all the lives I'm not living.

Jan 20, 2012 1:16 PM

Jan 2012
the thing that i don't get is, how the hell a very old guy had a kid with some 20 year old chick?
Jan 22, 2012 7:36 AM

Nov 2008
Lol I just think it's wrong for Rin and Daikichi to be bathing together....
Jan 29, 2012 1:48 PM
Nov 2011
wow, just wow. The mother is really... I don't even have the words. And she has another BF? or is it a roomate, friend? Wow. I just do not have words. I was actually okay at first till is aw that seen now I'm raging like others were LOL
Be thankful for those you have near who are dear
For time is not always kind to those who would be on your mind
Seize the day, some exclaim, but that which is past, no more shall have its day.
Feb 26, 2012 2:12 PM

Jun 2011
Zancs said:
the thing that i don't get is, how the hell a very old guy had a kid with some 20 year old chick?

obviously sex..

malificium said:
She wants to be a famous mangaka, yeah, but come the f on, why did you have a daughter then? Ugh, annoys me so much.
Rin is lovely, but I wanted her to accept Daikichi's proposal.
The final scene was so cute!

why have a daughter? lol ? sometiems these things just happen..

milkteh said:
Lol I just think it's wrong for Rin and Daikichi to be bathing together....

why not ?!
Mar 29, 2012 1:08 AM

Feb 2008
I think Rins mom is just bad at expressing herself and that she left her because she firmly believed that she would be a terrible mother and while I disagree with her method of finding a new parent after the father died, I can't fault her logic about not being a suitable parent.

Loved the hugging scene.
Apr 1, 2012 6:54 AM
May 2008
How come Daikichi doesn't have the same last name as his grandfather?
Apr 7, 2012 11:32 PM
Apr 2012
The ending when she said next time she'd confort him when he cries...

That was so smart for a 6 old girl.
Apr 13, 2012 4:54 AM

Feb 2012
I just don’t get all this hate people are showing to Rin’s mother. It looks like she was going to get an abortion but didn’t because the grandfather said she shouldn’t. I’m thankful that Rin actually got born. Rin’s mother knew that she wasn’t capable of raising Rin properly and gave her to someone who could.
Jul 6, 2012 2:30 AM

Jan 2012
Wow, every episode is just so beautiful
Aug 10, 2012 3:01 AM
Mar 2008
Murbella said:
I didn't really like the "just Daikichi scene." It seemed very unrealistic and fell flat. Daikichi, against all odds, works up the courage to adopt rin and then also works up the courage to ask her about it, but she just shoots him down with a lame line that should have been hurtful. It would be the same situation as if he confessed his love for that attractive mother, but she said she wanted to stay friends that "Daikichi should just stay Daikichi."

Daikichi is focusing his entire life around Rin and being her father in all but name, but she still wants to think of him as "some relative of my real father."

But he is some relative of her real father. I see absolutely no reason why she should be forced to refer to Daikichi as her father if that's not what she wants. Her real father is dead, and she doesn't want to just replace him with someone else.

I can understand reserving the title of father out of respect for the person who made you. If my father had died when I was young, I know I wouldn't have referred to any step fathers or caretakers as my father because they were NOT.

Cirris said:
anaaga said:
PR3DAT0R said:
Cirris said:
Seriously, the whole things about about the surname change made me want to yell out a spoiler in a crowded theatre.

MAJOR SPOILER...

Pfffffft, fukken knew it.

A nice episode anyways~<3

Lol me too, I expected that to happen. This always happens to most anime where the kid is growing up with someone who's not related to her/distant relative of hers

I'm sorry guys. I did as much as i could by saying "MAJOR SPOILER" before the spoiler button. But that whole scene at Daikichi's parents i kept thinking about it, hense my wanting to scream it out.

BTW, Yumichi this spoiler is to your question...

Another Major Spoiler!!!

Can you stop? What part of manga-only discussion did you not read? I understand you put spoiler tags, and that's not what I have an issue with. I have an issue with people replying to the spoiler without spoiler tags and spoiling shit for me. Seriously?

fishergirl16 said:
Every child NEEDS a mom

That is most certainly not a fact, because it's false. Every child needs a parental figure; male, female, biological relationship or not .. that's all irrelevant.
HakuneiiAug 10, 2012 3:38 AM
Aug 16, 2012 8:26 PM

Jun 2012
Cirris said:
Seriously, the whole things about about the surname change made me want to yell out a spoiler in a crowded theatre.

MAJOR SPOILER...

Damn this show is just tugging at the heartstrings. The scenes after Daikichi's day trip to meet the mother were full of all sorts of win.

Masako seems like a crackhead or something. I don't loathe her. I just get the feeling she flipped out when she became pregnant. It's obvious that her spacey personality coupled with with some obsessive compulsive characteristics leads me to believe she's got mental issues and Daikichi is right in his decisions to keep Rin.

Cirris said:
anaaga said:
PR3DAT0R said:
Cirris said:

MAJOR SPOILER...

Pfffffft, fukken knew it.

A nice episode anyways~<3

Lol me too, I expected that to happen. This always happens to most anime where the kid is growing up with someone who's not related to her/distant relative of hers

I'm sorry guys. I did as much as i could by saying "MAJOR SPOILER" before the spoiler button. But that whole scene at Daikichi's parents i kept thinking about it, hense my wanting to scream it out.

BTW, Yumichi this spoiler is to your question...

Another Major Spoiler!!!

Well that makes everything less creepy i guess, not a fan of Rins mom btw.
Aug 23, 2012 5:50 PM
Jul 2018
Seems like there's more to Rin's mother than what is being said. Also I don't really believe that Daikichi's grandfater is Rin's father.. there's more to it.
Maybe Grandpa covered for Masako. She seems troubled, kinda depressed and she still cares for Rin, in some ways.
Sep 7, 2012 6:19 AM
Sep 2012
Rin: I'll hold you too, next time you cry Daikichi.

; __ ;
Sep 26, 2012 8:11 PM

Nov 2011
Best Daughter EVErRRRRRR!

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Dec 1, 2012 2:40 PM

May 2012
Damn allot of development happened in this episode story wise, loved every bit of it especially the Graduation Ceremony! But damn Rin's mother I do wonder what her whole deal is with her, especially the ending what's up with that phone call?

Lets see what's next!
Dec 9, 2012 1:47 AM

Mar 2011
just wow. the (lack of) transition from the graduation ceremony to masako getting the phone call. a memory so cherish-able for one person yet so haunting for another. it pulls my heart in both directions.

5/5
Jan 15, 2013 7:37 AM

Jan 2012
Well, Rin's mother is really retarded. She looks like she has no idea what's going on around her. To bad that Rin didn't want Daikichi to adopt her though.

Jan 20, 2013 2:56 PM

Sep 2011
Sweating in march :D That was such a nice comeback from her :D

So many cute moments again, like when she told Daikichi that she will hold him next time he cries ;_;

I didn't think they would bring up adoption so fast. Though I had a feeling she won't "accept it" for the first time, but that's understandable.
I hope she will accept it later.

Rin's mother is a bitch. 'nuff said. No excuses. Would gladly slap her.
I would really like it if this would have been the last time we saw her, but I guess that would be too good, huh? :/
Mar 29, 2013 8:50 PM

Feb 2012
torrentsven said:
Cirris said:

MAJOR SPOILER...

same here, with this i hope i will get it and never, never, click that spoiler button again.

Oh, great episode as well. This kind of episode or anime is the reason why i love anime, i cant think of an episode like this being produced by any other studio from any other place.
Apr 12, 2013 11:41 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
I don't think that Rin's grandpa is her real biological father because at his age he would probably have complications with intimacy. Also neither of Daichi's relatives have blonde hair. That guy towards the end of the episode who was sitting near Rin's mother had orange type hair. I think he's the biological father because realistically speaking to get blonde hair there must be a person in the family with blonde type hair at least.

As for the mother abandoning Rin I say she's made pretty inadequate decisions. She could have given birth and still had her job. However the job part would have postponed for a later time. Still perhaps Rin's mother could have worked from home but realistically speaking the job she had in mind was probably a on the spot offer. Either she accepted the job or she had Rin which in this case Rin was born but the cost of losing her job.

5/5 on the episode.

May 30, 2013 5:05 PM
Aug 2012
moments of beauty
May 31, 2013 4:09 AM
Apr 2011
For me it seems masako is just a bad mother to begin with, following her young wild emotions droven to a corner with an old man, got pregnant and now doesnt want to take responsibility, well Daikichi is really a gr8 sample of being a gr8 dad and mother in same time.
Jul 28, 2013 8:37 PM

May 2013
HawthorneKitty said:
Masako is just so useless, I want to slap her.

You and me both. If you can't even share a pudding cup, you're not worthy to be a mother. Damn you, Masako >:T
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Usagi Drop Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Sep 15, 2011

394 by gswelcome »»
Apr 8, 3:44 PM

» imagine

removed-user - Apr 3

10 by gswelcome »»
Apr 8, 3:40 PM

» Knowing the manga ending ruined how I see this anime as a whole.

go1d1eaf - Oct 26, 2021

37 by gswelcome »»
Apr 8, 3:38 PM

Poll: » Usagi Drop Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jul 7, 2011

365 by astroreload »»
Jan 21, 4:11 AM

Poll: » Usagi Drop Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

HawthorneKitty - Jul 21, 2011

174 by astroreload »»
Dec 27, 2023 10:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.