Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 9, 2011 12:21 PM
Apr 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Watched (Karigurashi no) Arrietty today (Dutch première yay). Another awesome Ghibli movie. Loved the
part.
rctgamer3Mar 9, 2011 3:10 PM
Ojamajo Doremi Fan & QC/Editor @ Doremi-fansubs & Honobono
May 28, 2011 12:33 PM

Aug 2009
Watched it today (Japan movie festival Hamburg, Germany).
I quite liked it.
I don't think that it was the best thing ever, but it was really nice and cute. I enjoyed it :3
Imho it's better than Ponyo.
Jun 18, 2011 9:09 AM

Nov 2007
Watched in raw. Loved it to the extend that I almost cried with the music.

Even though Spiller doesn't have much lines, he has a nice voice (by Fujiwara-san, who I think he expressed the character well with only voice). He gives them hope about there are more of their kind.

Wow, that "Aunt" is evil (in a cute way).
tsubasaloverJun 19, 2011 4:54 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jun 19, 2011 4:02 AM

Jul 2007
Just finished it. In response to mrmuk, I much preferred the story of Ponyo to this, though Ponyo was so geared towards children. That said, they're very different movies despite the Ghibli-style animation and to compare the two seems unfair to me, for both this movie and Ponyo.

Anyway, what made Arrietty great was the attention to detail, beautiful art, and the wonderful direction. As a premier film for the director, I'd say it was a success.

But, honestly, the story disappointed me. I wish Spiller had had more of a role in the film, and I was saddened by the end. I think because I'd become so attached to the characters by that point, I wanted to see more of Arietty's adventures with her family! I think this is the first time I've ever craved a sequel coming out of a Ghibli movie. =/ It just wasn't all that satisfying, you know?
<---made of awesome!
Jun 19, 2011 4:56 AM

Nov 2007
Susan said:
I think this is the first time I've ever craved a sequel coming out of a Ghibli movie. =/ It just wasn't all that satisfying, you know?

My first time would be Spirited Away with if Haku would meet Chihiro or not. But yeah, I want to watch more of Karigurashi, too.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jun 19, 2011 10:36 AM

Mar 2009
SO glad to finally see this! Not the adventure I was expecting-bit slow at times, but also excruciatingly beautiful. The music could've used some variation, and Spiller more screentime. . .

But those are minor things, because Arrietty's world is such a joy. Her POV and the way it's portrayed make the movie. Glad to know there's a new name worthy of helming Ghibli's talent.
They sure have a thing for the bold redheads lately, too.
Jun 19, 2011 9:49 PM

Jul 2007
tsubasalover said:
Susan said:
I think this is the first time I've ever craved a sequel coming out of a Ghibli movie. =/ It just wasn't all that satisfying, you know?

My first time would be Spirited Away with if Haku would meet Chihiro or not. But yeah, I want to watch more of Karigurashi, too.

I think because Spirited Away is just so full of awesome and moments that make me teary-eyed, that by the time it's over I'm just sick of it. XD I love it so much, but I think a sequel would cheapen it.

On the other hand, Arietty feels ripe for sequels! But Arietty was more slice-of-life than Miyazaki's flicks.
<---made of awesome!
Jun 20, 2011 12:59 AM

Jul 2009
I have to say, I really like Arrietty's character design. She just has a youthful aura that's full of curiosity.

Susan said:
On the other hand, Arietty feels ripe for sequels!

You're not that far off. The Borrowers is a five-book series. Only the first book was adapted by Ghibli, albeit loosely. The first book also ends with Arrietty's family leaving.

Have a look at some of the themes of The Borrower Arrietty in my latest blog post.
arsonalJun 27, 2011 12:04 PM
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Jun 20, 2011 8:57 AM

Aug 2009
Seems like everybody likes Spiller xD
Even my brother, whom I dragged along to the cinema, liked him, although he usually never watches anime ^^

@Susan
I was meaning that to me, in aspect of overall enjoyment, I prefer Arietty over Ponyo. :-)
Jun 20, 2011 10:19 AM

Jan 2008
Quite bland for a Ghibli anime. I liked Ponyo more. Story feels rushed and didn't finish(or expand) properly.

7/10

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Jun 20, 2011 10:44 AM

Mar 2010
Ghibli might have post-Miyazaki future after all. Well directed, simple anime film with drop dead gorgeous animation and art. Good stuff all around.

8/10
Jun 20, 2011 12:05 PM

Sep 2010
A nice watch. It was nostalgic and wonderful to remember one of my favourite childhood books. ♥
Jun 20, 2011 2:49 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Was wonderful to watch.

I really enjoyed the music and the story itself. Great watch. 9/10

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jun 20, 2011 7:37 PM

Oct 2009
As expected from Ghibli, gorgeous animation and music.

Loved it, giving it 9/10
Jun 22, 2011 6:29 AM

Aug 2010
kashim said:
Story feels rushed and didn't finish(or expand) properly.

7/10
I know what you mean. If only they could have stayed in that house a little bit longer. I'm sure Shou could have recovered faster from what he was suffering from...
Jun 22, 2011 8:42 AM

Mar 2010
Well, for me it is best ghibli movie since whisper of the heart. Such tragic, slow-paced story with high connection to real life.
10/10
But if the arrow is straight
And the point is slick
It can pierce through dust
No matter how thick...
Jun 22, 2011 5:35 PM
Apr 2011
That was nice, I really enjoyed this movie. It looked really beautiful too. The visuals, and the music were great.
8/10.

Though, I didn't really see the aunt as a fluid villain, she was just terrible. I want a reason as to why she wanted the borrowers gone, because she's a super bitch? That's not enough.

Sure they steal, or "borrow" but they don't even take a large amount of things.

I really liked the characters, I wanted it a bit longer though.
a6342164Jun 29, 2011 8:18 AM
Jun 22, 2011 7:06 PM

Jul 2010
The very ambiguous and abrupt ending let it down, but other than that I really enjoyed it. I loved the slowing down of the human beans actions and speech around the borrowers, and there were some really nice touches such as the surface tension of the water when scaled down to borrower size (in cups, when being brushed off clothes, etc). However the film was a bit poorly paced. Still, it did justice to the source material, and I really enjoyed it.

8/10
AJAJAJAJAJA
Jun 23, 2011 5:15 AM

Aug 2009
I absolutely loved this one! Even moreso than Ponyo =)

That music was fantastic also.. I can't wait to get my hands on the OST.
Jun 24, 2011 8:08 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
I did not find the ending abrupt.

I think the pacing was quite right, just a bit short.

It's the soothing mood that stands out.

Now I need to watch the new movie by Shinkai....

9/10
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jun 25, 2011 8:05 PM

Jun 2008
love it, it was so sweet~~~

Zepwich said:
I absolutely loved this one! Even moreso than Ponyo =)

i totally agree*.*

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Jun 27, 2011 12:30 PM

Feb 2009
Very cute movie! The music was great and the art was very pretty as it always is when it comes to Ghiblil.
8/10

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Jun 27, 2011 4:34 PM

Dec 2010
I didn't enjoy a movie this much since spirited away
I almost cried when he saw her fot the fist time

dame you tissue dame you suger
One Piece is a series created by a genius, it's a masterpiece, it's like a fine wine, it only gets better with time..!
Jun 28, 2011 2:08 AM

Oct 2010
Loved it, definitely near the top of my favourite Ghibli movies to date.

Zepwich said:

The soundtrack was released in Apr 2010 (by Cecile Corbel). Favourite tracks - My First Borrowing, and Our House Below. Definitely worth getting (had it on my playlist for quite some time now, so was great to finally see the visuals in combination now that the movie has been released with eng subs).
Jun 28, 2011 9:41 AM

May 2009
Definitely one of the better Ghibli movies imo. The detailed art and good animation together with the nice music just made it very enjoyable to watch. Simple story but the concept of borrowers was intriguing.
Jun 29, 2011 6:31 AM

May 2010
The art reminded me of "Kemono no Souja Erin", so I automatically loved it - Really pretty, as was the music.

Comparing this to the 1997 English movie, 100x better - I like how it was just "what it was suppose to be", not a Borrower Movie for the "lulz". So I can see all ages loving this.

I definitely would have wanted this to be a series with Arrietty & the rest of the borrowers with their adventures. But I'm satisfied with this for now, great movie.
Jun 30, 2011 12:52 AM

Apr 2009
What I love about Ghibli movies is the attention to detail and this one is no exception. The music was great, the story was kinda slow for me but at the end, I want it to keep going.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jun 30, 2011 2:51 AM

Apr 2010
Susan said:
and I was saddened by the end. I think because I'd become so attached to the characters by that point, I wanted to see more of Arietty's adventures with her family! I think this is the first time I've ever craved a sequel coming out of a Ghibli movie. =/ It just wasn't all that satisfying, you know?

I agree with everything you said, especially that. I felt so empty and unsatisfied at the end. I wish it could have been a happier ending :(

apart from that, I otherwise loved it :) 9/10
MegumiInoueJun 30, 2011 3:00 AM
Jun 30, 2011 1:54 PM

Oct 2010
I am speechless. This was the best Ghibli movie, and one of the best animes I have ever seen.

Everything about it was magical, I cannot for the life of me understand how some people were left dissatisfied after this. Perfection.
Jun 30, 2011 4:08 PM
Apr 2010
It was a beautifully artistic movie which overall I loved but I have to admit that the ending was a bit disappointing.
Apart from Arrietty, the borrowers still see humans as a threat, Arrietty's family was still forced to move out of their home which they loved and didn't want to leave, the dollhouse which was built specifically for the borrowers still remains untouched (apart from the kitchen I guess), and the audience never knows the fate of Sho after his heart operation.
Jun 30, 2011 8:45 PM

Mar 2010
A bit bland/slow but I enjoyed it.
I absolutely love the soundtrack though.

7/10 for me.
Jul 1, 2011 5:14 AM

Jul 2008
I expected it to end differently. I thought that Haru would get fired or something and the Borrowers would be able to live a peaceful life in the dollhouse that was originally made for their sake.

But other than that, the movie was great. The art was amazing, the soundtrack was beautiful, and the first 15~ minutes were really captivating. Seeing Arrietty participate in her first borrowing was really fun, and the scene where Sho saw her on the tissue box was done perfectly.

I thought Sho telling her she was part of a dying species was kind of unnecessary though.
Jul 2, 2011 4:46 PM

Aug 2009
I wished that they would have shown what happened to Sho after his surgery. But I guess that's what makes it great, is that it just lets the watcher come up with their own ending. I really thought that they would end up living with them in the doll house, so I'm surprised and a little sad that it didn't end that way.

The first time she gave the tour through the doll house to Sho, I cried a little. Ghibli animation always does that to me. I always get that same feeling when I watch a Ghibli, but it hasn't been this strong since Spirited Away. I don't regret downloading six and a half GB to watch this movie in the highest quality I could find. It definitely deserved it.

And don't even get me started on that soundtrack. Just so beautiful, all of it. Everything about this movie was amazing.
Jul 7, 2011 11:13 PM

Dec 2009
I thought the ending happened a bit too sudden and abrupt too, it's like you felt their story (Arrietty and Sho) wasn't quite finished yet. The animation and attention to detail though was fantastic, and the music wonderful. Above all though I loved the sound, the way it was made louder and deeper whenever we were at Arrietty's perspective. It really helped immerse into the world of the borrowers.
Ara ara.
Jul 15, 2011 1:49 AM

Sep 2008
I adored all the details in the borrower's house as well as that splendid doll house. The bad guy of the movie pissed me off since she just seemed to fail. At one point I wished that there was some back story on her obsession, but I figured that they just wanted to highlight the children of the movie.

Either way, another good Ghibli movie.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 16, 2011 5:37 PM

Jan 2009
animes123 said:
and the audience never knows the fate of Sho after his heart operation.

I think its safe to say that the operation was a success. The very first part of the narrative says that he remembers the week he spent in the house his mother grew up in (or something along those lines) so I figure he lived a while if he says he remembers it as if it happened a long time ago.
Jul 24, 2011 8:40 PM

Dec 2007
Quite dissapointed by the end. Was expecting something 'more' to happen but it didn't :(. Everyone besides the two main characters played tiny roles.

7/10
Aug 7, 2011 1:57 PM

Apr 2009
That was a wonderful movie!

The story and the relationship between Sho and Arrietty was so sweet. I found the nostalgic ending really fitting.

9/10
Aug 10, 2011 7:20 AM

May 2007
I truly enjoyed it, and the reference to Nausicaa at one point was a gorgeous idea :D
I've seen the live adaptation of the original novel, and I must say, the anime beats it easily.

Though, Haru was... Ouch.
Either a sequel or fanfictions are needed, otherwise she's a too flat character.

I'm still amazed by the awesomeness of Studio Ghibli, all those tiny little details, omg! :O

And the music~ Cecile Corbel has beautiful voice, I was a bit afraid that the accent would ruin the song (I've only heard a few non-native speakers speak in Japanese without any accent), but she hardly had any :)
'I think of my fellow men from the Shieikan as my lifelong comrades. My most proud and precious good fortune has been to have met all of you, Soji.' [Yamanami Keisuke, vice-commander, Shinsengumi]
Aug 10, 2011 4:14 PM

Dec 2009
Loved it. But there were some missing pieces , for example , the old maid(?) that locked Sho's door, why was it open when they all went back upstairs ? Also, I know she was probably thinking about money but the face she made when she was looking at the small old woman was just wrong >_>' ..
Aug 10, 2011 9:51 PM

Apr 2009
I don't understand, is this the movie or a separate thing all together? Seeing as it's called episode 1, I'm kind of confused by that.
Aug 27, 2011 10:35 PM

Jun 2011
Great story, but I wish Arrietty and Sho could have stayed together... ^^;;

Also, the first time in ages I've seen a heroine in a Studio Ghibli film with long hair! (Well... longer than most :p)
Sep 5, 2011 11:17 PM

Apr 2007
Very pleasant movie. Beautiful, understated artwork and animation; nice, quaint storytelling. Wonderful music too (quite a departure I think). Basically good stuff all around: a return to form. There are better Ghibli movies, but there are certainly worse ones.

Will definitely be interested in Yonebayashi's next effort though. I think he's got what it takes.
Sep 8, 2011 2:42 AM

Aug 2010
I really enjoyed it, but didn't like the ending. I was hoping that the dream could come true and the borrowers could live in the doll house. 8/10 it was a great watch.
Sep 28, 2011 11:38 AM

Oct 2010
Ah... with such a new and young director.

I agree that this one's another masterpiece.

And that's what Ghibli loves to do, right? Taking the ultimate happy ending from us yet still leaves this sweet taste that we can't help but swallow in. I think this one's not their best, too, but a lot of their movies has unique characteristics of its own, this one being the enjoyable slow pace, and for that it's top notch. As for making a whole new world of their own... well they've done that again and again and they mostly succeed so I'm not surprised.

I'm kinda glad the interactions between Sho and Arietty didn't fall into complete stereotype. Well they do become the pair we all love to see, but the packaging was so fresh. Love it.

Ah... by far the only Ghibli film that disappointed me was Tales of Earthsea. Such a delight I could come across the films made by this studio in my lifetime.

8/10
Oct 27, 2011 1:49 PM

Sep 2010
Awesome relaxing movie.....

More people should watch this......
Nov 3, 2011 12:20 PM

Aug 2008
The details in this movie is amazing! I love how they told everything from Arrietty's pov. Although I thought the buildup of the story wasn't very well executed, it was still a pleasant film to sit through.
Nov 5, 2011 9:04 AM
Nov 2008
Ugh I wanted to punch that old batshit maid so hard.... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Pretty nice movie, I liked it a lot more than Ponyo (which I didn't like all that much...). This is a lot closer in feel to Spirited Away and Whisper of the Heart. It could've been longer though.

Loved the Aretty's first "borrowing" part:)
Nov 14, 2011 10:01 PM

May 2011
about to talk about ending:
Nov 28, 2011 4:25 AM

Sep 2008
Beautiful movie.

Though the ending would've been a lot happier if they moved into the doll house instead and stayed friends with the humans.

Finding it very hard to not give this a 10. I'll just give it a very solid 9/10.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Update on Sho after the movie's end

mangalicker94 - Dec 16, 2023

3 by johneaston »»
Dec 17, 2023 6:33 AM

» Absolutely perfect for people starting watching anime with J-subs

RudeRedis - Jul 8, 2023

2 by HinataaRei »»
Jul 13, 2023 11:41 AM

» How is the dub?

ovoon7 - Feb 17, 2012

22 by caprisan »»
Mar 6, 2021 4:01 PM

» The Secret World of Arriety ..... Music Video?

mylovelyfate - Mar 9, 2012

5 by Umbrya »»
Mar 9, 2012 3:42 PM

» Just Saw this in Theatres

Rasco - Feb 28, 2012

2 by Rasco »»
Mar 4, 2012 11:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.