Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 1, 2008 9:48 PM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Rubinsky ended up buying Yang some time but the question of Reuental's loyalty would have had to be addressed eventually. Problems will arise if the distrust spreads across the ranks, especially if Mittermeyer takes sides against his best friend.

Schenkopp will never win the father of the year award but there's still room for Karin and him to come to terms. Poplan actually said something good for a change in trying to encourage her. Julian needs to sort things out between them. Cazzelnu might not approve though :P

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Dec 22, 2008 6:03 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
I wonder why does Julian minds so much about Katerose hating him....

Other than that, interesting political opinions from Yang and his subordinates...

On the other hand, nothing surprising about the Earth Cult's scheme and Phezzan....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jan 18, 2010 10:18 PM

Jan 2009
Reuenthal has me worried. The story has been hinting at his wavering loyalty recently and I wonder what he'll do. This recent news coupled with Rubinsky may buy Yang enough time to think things through.

Speaking of difficult things, it doesn't look like Katerose and Schenkopp will be approaching any sort of a parent/daughter relationship any time soon given that exchange. Will Julian have anything to do with bringing them together now that Poplan tried his best? Hmm.....
Jun 21, 2010 11:44 AM

Feb 2010
Very good episode. Another great talk about democracy vs autocracy with Yang and Julian and seeing Katerose finally facing her father was great too. By the way, is it just me or does she resemble Rubinsky's mistress?
Anyway, great episode and the ending seems very promising.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 1, 2010 2:32 PM

Jan 2010
at last Katerose faced her father :),i expected more though(domestic violence is the key)...kidding

good episode,and i'm really happy that i get closer to the "famous" episode 82 :p

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Dec 27, 2010 9:01 PM

May 2010
Am I the only one who doesn't give a ==== about Julian and his girlfriend?

Why is Rubinsky still alive? That guy really annoys me.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Aug 26, 2011 8:38 PM
Jun 2011
Pretty good cliffhanger...it's really got me wondering...
Jan 21, 2012 12:17 AM

Sep 2009
I like the redheaded bastard child of the Rosenritter.
May 14, 2012 7:13 PM

Feb 2012
Oskar von Reuenthal...I think your time in the sun is finally at hand.

Karin's reunion with Schenkopp, and the conversation with Poplan that followed, were well-scripted. She's another one of the many supporting characters that could stand on their own as main characters if the script allowed it.

Yang said:
He's not necessarily perfect in his character, but he's the most brilliant existence of the past few centuries of history. To destroy that with my own hand...I couldn't help but feel scared by it. At that time, I may have avoided responsibility with the governmental order as an excuse. And for that, I may have been loyal both to the government and to myself. But, for instance, for the soldiers who died in the war, that could be characterized as an act of unforgivable betrayal.

Most of Yang's conversation with Julian and Frederica was par for the course; a typical political science lecture from Yang the historian. But this admission surprised me. Yang's lack of ambition has been evident over the course of the series, but ever since the surrender of the FPA, he's sounded outright conflicted and, at times, borderline hypocritical. But what could he possibly have done to reconcile these conflicting thoughts within his own belief system? If he had killed Reinhard at Vermilion instead, he'd be just as conflicted.
Sep 24, 2013 8:53 AM

Nov 2009
Doubting Reuenthal now is stupid. I mean while he did have the thought of taking over, he never followed through, even given the perfect chance (during the battle of Vermillion), so it should be rather obvious that Reuenthal is at this point rather loyal to the Kaiser.
Apr 23, 2014 8:32 PM

Mar 2013
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
seeing Katerose finally facing her father was great too. By the way, is it just me or does she resemble Rubinsky's mistress?

She definitely does resemble Dominique, I was thinking the same thing myself. Seeing Rubinsky's mistress in the next episode only reaffirms my opinion that she is a younger variant of Dominique. In my opinion they are both the best looking females in the show, although I do love Frederica's purity, sweetness, and loyalty, as well as Mariendorf for similar reasons. Jessica Edwards early on was very pretty and likable as well.
Aug 9, 2014 5:14 AM

Nov 2013
wakka9ca said:
I wonder why does Julian minds so much about Katerose hating him....

...The reason is about as subtle as a club round the head.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Nov 14, 2014 3:54 PM

Mar 2012
Confucius said:

I don't give a dam about it as well :D
Dec 6, 2014 7:52 AM
Mar 2013
xAvengerx said:
Confucius said:

I don't give a dam about it as well :D

Neither do I - the majority of the characters are pretty dull or unlikeable to me.
Dec 6, 2014 7:55 AM

Oct 2008
Oshii said:

Neither do I - the majority of the characters are pretty dull or unlikeable to me.

Go back to your Steins Gate,Code Geass or whatever is your favorites then,no is forcing you to watch it.You're only doing a disservice to yourself by sitting trough something you dislike.
Jan 5, 2015 8:39 PM

Jan 2014
So the Reuental plot begins!
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Mar 7, 2015 7:21 AM

Aug 2014
I liked that the red-head girl and her dad solved their problems and how the other red-head guy helped her get over it.
Jun 2, 2015 1:51 PM
Nov 2014
Holy shit, I guess Reuental is gonna play some major part now...well it's been foreshadowed so long already.
Jun 19, 2015 6:11 AM

May 2012
Something big is going to get down soon! Let's see what's next.
Jul 15, 2015 11:31 PM

Dec 2013
Interesting ending with Reuental.

Based Schenkopp should be father of the year lol
May 21, 2016 3:44 AM

Oct 2011
A fulfillment of the foreshadowed ulterior motive of Reuental? Interesting
Jun 21, 2016 2:34 PM

Aug 2014
Rubinsky's still plotting as ever haha.

Reuenthal is probably getting set up because I doubt at this point he'll try to betray Reinhard.
KashKetchumJun 21, 2016 2:43 PM
Nov 15, 2017 9:40 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Revental?! Is the turn to change this to the Rubinsky style!!! i hate this guy!!! kekeke
Feb 16, 2018 10:35 AM

May 2016
The thing I feared the most damn it.
May 14, 2018 2:54 AM
Apr 2018
Yep, just as we suspected Rubinski is stirring the plot between Oberstein and Reuenthal. Bedding that girl and bringing her to Phezzan really wasn't a good idea now wasit Reuenthal? Add in the fact that you didn't spot Yang's trick and o dear. Interesting that Reinhard went straight to Muller too. He wants an opinion completely unbiased.

I said before that everyone distrusts Reuenthal but he's done nothing to deserve their mistrust... but I've got the feeling that now everyone suspects him he'll give them a reason to fear him.

That disc didn't really reveal that much after all after ten episodes of buildup. We know the Church and Phezzan went back years and Rubinski has already severed ties with them.

Katerose looks like she'll get over herself and cheer up a bit which is good. Julianis obsessed with her!

Now the power rankings:

1) The Empire. They may be about to have a major split but they are still number 1.
2) Yang. El Facil are already annoying Yang but at the moment we have no reason to separate them on this list.
3) Rubinski. The man's plans are in full effect now!
4) The Earth Cult. Everyone is now wondering where the Grand Bishop is at last.
5) The Goldenbalms. Meanwhile nobody cares about these apart from Meerkatz.

Speaking of Meerkatz, mate stop wearing that damn uniform. No wonder El Facil don't trust you. Jesus man.

MVP: Poplan! He got Father and Daughter talking and didn't try to bang Katerose. Good job!
Oct 28, 2018 2:05 PM
Apr 2018
My man Reuental, what could he possibly be doing?

I seriously hope Julian doesn't end up with Karin.
Nov 8, 2018 9:30 PM

Feb 2017
Viva Yang Wen-li!
Nov 20, 2019 7:14 AM

Oct 2012
Looks like Rubinsky's final act will be "launched"

I agree with Yang's opinion
Autocracy only works when there's a "talented" leader like Reinhard
I pity Yang, he's probably at the very terrifying part.. Killing your enemy that can make world better or let him live but you'll suffer in the process
No point of return either way

Looks like Reuntal is finally taking an action after the narrator hinting it for a long time
"Signature removed"
Dec 24, 2019 7:49 AM

Apr 2016
Another great talk from Yang about autocracy.
And that cliffhanger...

I was a little dissapointed with this third season, but these last five chapters were fantastic.
Jan 1, 2020 12:04 PM

Nov 2016
Karin is growing on me as a character.

And ooohh, is Reuenthal making a move?

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 8, 2020 1:52 PM

Jul 2019
Well, at least they clarified that not all Jews are evil Zionists, lol.
Dec 18, 2020 10:31 PM
Jun 2017
I still don't get why Yang doesn't take a step forward towards political power. After all, though autocracy and democracy are opposites, they aren't at all absolutely incompatible. After all, the institution of the dictatorship saved Rome many times from its destruction. Yang, no doubt, would make a great second coming of Cincinnatus.

I wonder if Katerose and Schenkopp will reconcile at any time. Anyway, it seems that Julian is totally in love with her... but could those feelings be reciprocated? Though she didn't blush when Julian was mentioned, her reaction was worth noting.

Also, "Better yet, she didn't cost anything to raise" made me chuckle. Schenkopp is a total Chad.

And it seems that Reuental is finally making his move. God, I despise him so much.
Dec 25, 2020 10:18 AM

Dec 2020
Well, fuck Schenkopp, apparently. I used to be quite fond of him, but it's like they're trying to make him unlikable. Hope this trend doesn't go on for long. Poplan, on the other hand, was pretty good in this episode. Nice to see him talk about something substantial for once, though his typical nonchalant observations occasionally have a (very) hidden depth to them. Seeing his carelessly playful words get him in trouble with Boris was also pretty funny, and I chuckled when Yang broke up their quarrel like an exasperated parent.

I absolutely loved the dialogue between Yang, Julian and Frederica. It was a treat how they discussed pretty much exactly what had been on my mind after the last episode (which I wrote a bit about in the last thread). The right direction for Yang isn't as obvious as it once was, and it was interesting to witness even the greatest champion of democracy himself lapse and utter, "Democracy is nothing but a faded bronze idol." It was particularly great how this process of thinking things through out loud and sort of arguing with himself resulted in Yang reaffirming his beliefs with way more conviction than we'd ever seen from his usual lukewarm self. Lackluster defenses won't do anymore.

The ending had me gasping. Can't wait to see what Reuental's up to.

Aug 1, 2021 8:24 PM

Jun 2020
no yang smh u unamerican af 🙄🙄 evri1 kno da rite wae 2 spred democrappy iz 2 destroi a cuntry cuz @ least den dey wil b fre!11!!!1

ok wudafuq reuenthal doin doe 😳 in da beginning of da show i thought oberstein wuz way more likely 2 try 2 overthrow reinhard
Sep 3, 2021 5:06 PM

Dec 2018
yang has the political hot takes of a 10 year old
Sep 9, 2021 4:51 AM

Jul 2016
Confucius said:

I really like Rubinsky,

although I agree who cares about Julian and his girlfriend.
Jun 8, 2022 6:39 PM

Dec 2007
the more yang announcing his "democracy ideology", the more he contradict himself.
the meaning of soldier = cannot be ruler, in other means that he's fighting for democracy that doesn't exist. democracy = government the people choose, but where are those people? el facil? where he can make more democracy? to free people and make them choose democracy, isn't so democracy isn't it? so how you can make a nation democracy without the will of the people. but if there's no such people, as people now would prefer autocracy of good ruler, the definition of democracy isn't required.
in other words - yang cannot make democracy. he cannot be ruler because he's soldier. and the reason he fights the empire is not in the name of democracy nation, but in some democracy ideal.
sorry but i failed to believe in yang at this part. he's good character with good political philosophy and strong ideals. but he just chained by his own "democracy ideas".
if he wouldn't call himself "soldier" it would be better resolved - he can make a nation and group of people convinced the idea of democracy is good, and then make them make their own government. but since he's "soldier" he's not allowing himself to have any political power.
in other words, he's fighting for something he cannot make himself. lol

katarose and shcenkopp conversation was more tense that i thought it will be lol.
poplan sure does know how to make things.

i waited when rubinsky will make his move again.

to be honest, the amount of names LOGTH make me remember is ridiculous and funny at the same time. just showing how much this show isn't relying on cheap plot device, but both plot development and character driven story as well. true masterpiece lol.
Dec 12, 2022 3:43 PM

May 2018
I completely forgot Rubinsky existed tbh. I wonder what the Terrarists will do now. And nooooo, Reuental's edgy pro-gamer phase has finally reached the light of day...
Dec 12, 2022 3:43 PM

May 2018
HeirofZor said:
Well, at least they clarified that not all Jews are evil Zionists, lol.

Thanks Kanye, oh wait
Jan 24, 2023 11:08 PM

Aug 2018
Pretty chill and quiet before the storm episode, can't believe Rubinsky is still somewhat relevant and is pulling some sort of strings, he really is affecting the clash between Empire and Alliiance once more.

Julian still caring this much about Karin is interesting and really shows his character growing in different areas, one uplifting thing is that Schenkopp actually understands his mistakes and also Poplan being kinda good advice giver during this episode is uplifting moment too I suppose.
Jun 1, 2023 2:06 PM

Feb 2012
2023 Rewatch

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 33 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 29, 2008

58 by ELuck42 »»
Yesterday, 11:23 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

97 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 16, 8:39 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 1, 2008

73 by leyaf »»
Apr 13, 3:20 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 27, 2008

89 by MewkiWay »»
Apr 12, 10:03 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

109 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 12, 8:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.