Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 25, 2010 3:43 PM
Mar 2010
HaiShang said:
mundo said:
The reason this ep felt so dragged out was becuase this chapter was only 15 pages in the manga, and the almost all chapters are usually 19 pages. For some reason, during the Marineford War arc only, the chapters would be 17, sometimes 15 pages. Does anyone know why they did this/

Maybe because they weren't actually 15/17 pages? You have to take in to account when reading through the Marineford Arc in the manga, there were a lot of spreads that actually accounted for 2 pages worth of the chapter instead of 1. When reading through it, it felt like chapters were short because of these spreads.

Also, One Piece anime has always been slow, it's just that this episode it expanded on the things that most anime watchers didn't care about, so the dragging out of this anime felt more noticeable.

No there were 15/17 pages counting spread pages as 2.
Oct 26, 2010 12:06 PM

Aug 2010
Whitebeard and his 'sons'... Doesn't he have any daughters? o_o
Oct 27, 2010 1:08 AM

Jun 2010
Maybe he is gay. XD
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 27, 2010 3:54 AM
Jan 2009
I loved the episode.
That part where Whitebeard hugged Squard was really touching.
First sign of genuine feeling amidst all the fake over exaggerated sentimental crap OP has been showing for so long.
But next ep is WB in action!!! Cant wait.
Oct 28, 2010 4:16 AM

Apr 2010
Gosh.. A lot of pictures to put.. Ohh.. Well.. Somehow.. I managed to create a GIF.. out of that episode. :) Share it. xD anyway. XXD
link. <3
--
Crocodile: "I have no recollection of being beaten by such a weakling"
Whitebeard: "Did you call me a weakling? Please, Croco Brat. I'm just a human with one heart."
--

WHITEBEARD: "People would call me a devil, a monster but I can't continue to be the strongest forever. If I can save this one young man's life. I will earn my right to retire from this world."

Aww. One of the tearful episodes I have watched. T^T
"I promise that I will never leave a wimpy brother like you." - Portgas D. Ace

Oct 28, 2010 5:26 AM
Jul 2010
the only bad thing about one pice is that.... it only comes once a weak Q_Q
Oct 29, 2010 9:28 AM

Jan 2009
Ahhh Fatherly love conquers all, lol.

Now shit is about to go down real hard in this war, lol.
IG: @ChrisCrossCrash
"There isn't a single guy who doesn't want to spoil his girl."
--Amagami SS
Oct 29, 2010 1:04 PM

Sep 2010
j_hoon said:
the only bad thing about one pice is that.... it only comes once a weak Q_Q

You got it, right.

I can't wait for the OST to come out, I want a lot of soundtracks from this arc. D:
Oct 30, 2010 7:02 AM
Jul 2009
Yeah.. Finally.. Whitebeard.. Go get Ace.. If he can..
Oct 30, 2010 7:05 AM
Jul 2009
Great Episode.. Finally Whitebeard's gonna fight now.. Hope He can reach Ace.. If he can...
Oct 30, 2010 6:57 PM

Oct 2008
I want a papa like WB.

The end is near.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Oct 31, 2010 2:20 PM

Feb 2009
Ah,i hate it when imba guys get weakened by some weaklings.It's disgusting!
Other than that...nice ep.
Anitnelav said:
I want a papa like WB.

QFT!

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Nov 18, 2010 5:03 PM

Jul 2010
Akainu, you bastard!

Knave said:
Can people stop saying "Things are finally heating up", or "Shit gets serious now" every fucking episode?
He jumped off the fucking ship! Shit's gonna go down.
Aug 13, 2011 1:45 AM

May 2010
A touching moment (literally) haha Whitebeard shows his leadership and being a father.. Aside from being the strongest pirate he's has got a huge family which he cares dearly for.. looks like the Navy just ticked off the boss and finally WB is on the move! :-D
Sep 26, 2011 4:58 PM

Mar 2008
whitebeard = amazing
navy = scum
Dec 9, 2011 10:35 PM

Feb 2010
I want whitebeard and sengoku's backstory ASAP.
Dec 27, 2011 5:01 AM
Jul 2018
reinwald said:
A touching moment (literally) haha Whitebeard shows his leadership and being a father.. Aside from being the strongest pirate he's has got a huge family which he cares dearly for.. looks like the Navy just ticked off the boss and finally WB is on the move! :-D

THIS!
Whitebeard is amazing!
Feb 5, 2012 2:02 PM

Jan 2012
WHITEBEARD <3 ;_____;
i never thought i would've loved this guy so much, when i first saw him i was sure he was going to be end-goal villain being the "strongest man in the world"
but he finally moved his feet! not only that, but he jumped off the ship. that's when you know shit's going down.
Jun 2, 2012 3:30 AM

Jan 2010
This arc was so much better in the manga. I'm watching the episodes in a row right now and, while it is much better than the shit adaptation that was the Impel Down arc, it's still not in the same level.

The pacing isn't really my main problem, I understand they have to take it slow in order to avoid catching up to the manga, but things here just don't have the same impact. There's something about the way the scenes are portrayed that just makes them lose all the impact they originally had. Like the part where Shirohige forgives Squardo. It was very emotional in the manga, while in the anime it didn't evoke any kind of feelings for me... Or the aforementioned scene "I'm just one man with one heart". Shirohige in general just isn't as epic as he was in the manga. I think that's because I don't like his VA so far, he is so...Monotonous. I mean, sometimes he delivers it, but... I don't know, some other times there is something missing.
But I'm still enjoying it quite a lot.
YunoleffJun 2, 2012 3:35 AM
Jun 3, 2012 3:33 AM

Sep 2011
Whitebeard has such a big heart. T_____T
Good episode, poor Squardo breaking down after realizing he'd been conned. ><###
Nov 25, 2012 9:03 AM

Mar 2010
About fucking time.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Feb 5, 2013 11:08 AM

Oct 2010
Whitebeard is awesome. Okay. Point taken.

The episode was awful anyway. Insanely dragged out (how many faces do you need to emphasize that yes, people are shocked because Whitebeard got stabbed?) and one of the most blatantly offensive recyclings of animation and scenes again and again. Toei made an intense moment look completely retarded. And I do know that One Piece's animation is far from being the best but this episode is probably the worst and one of the few where this has actually killed the whole mood.
Jun 19, 2013 2:31 PM

Apr 2013
if there was one anime that gets me emotional, its one piece ; ___ ;
Whitebeard and Squardo's reaction made me freakin cry. :,c
but dayumm WB gonna shake everything up c;
Jul 20, 2013 9:09 AM

Nov 2012
I now look at Whitebeard with newfound respect.
Jan 1, 2014 6:20 PM

Apr 2012
aaahhh shit white beard is 100% badass.
my respect for him totally went up
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 3, 2014 3:53 PM

Dec 2012
Whitebeard!!!! The best father-captain of One Piece T____T He is the best...
I love how much he believes in Ace... ACEEEEEEEEEEEEEE T_____T This arc is the worst for my nerves!!!
Nov 10, 2014 7:43 AM

Oct 2013
Damn Whitebeard is so powerful

Jun 5, 2015 3:24 PM

Mar 2014
Damn Whitebeard is just awesome
Jun 17, 2015 3:58 AM

Jun 2015
DAYUM shit's about to get serious
Jul 28, 2016 5:57 AM

Mar 2015
Wow quite the twist here
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Oct 17, 2016 7:08 PM

Aug 2013
That hug propelled Whitebeard into my top 5 favorite One Piece characters, talk about a real man.
Nov 2, 2016 5:05 AM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
Bi-bu said:
Im really over how there dragging this out.
honestly, im considering reading the manga, because i sware this is the most boringst arc in a while. I want to see everyone back together D< jesus.
It might not be so boring if people didnt spoil the whole thing. And as much as i love ace, i dont think i can take this war anymore >.>

i want to see zoro and robin and nami and chopper and sanji and franky and brooke, and even ussop. gosh.

It was the same for me. Even if I love ace, and I feel so sorry for the situation. Marineford and Impel down ... I think they are for me even more difficult to watch then Skypea back in time. And I had a hard time with this arc.

Mar 24, 2017 3:24 PM

May 2014
Squardo's not the sharpest tool in the shed, is he?

Although I guess it's easy to take advantage of a person's blind rage and hatred.

Whitebeard clearly wasn't in the best shape anyway, and I don't think being impaled is gonna help matters. Like he said, he might be strong...but he can't be strong forever. So it makes sense that he'd want to guide Ace into the role of the next Pirate King.

I laughed at Croc's mini freak out though XD
May 9, 2018 11:12 AM

Mar 2017
Whitebeard is so cool and kind tf ;w;
having him as a father must have been really great.

猫はかわいいです。 (ꈍ ‸ ꈍ)

Apr 23, 2019 12:43 PM

Jun 2016
I wasn't sure if it was capable to emotionally sell me with Squard but it freaking did. This was the episode that overall sold me on how great Whitebeard is too. And this was one of my favorite episodes of Marineford.. where do I even begin...

Squard was revealed to hate Roger above all else. He felt betrayed by Whitebeard, not only as father betraying son but a father betraying his children for the man Squard hates the most. That must have been a serious mental blow, he was enraged, disgusted, saddened, and I think what he did he viewed as an act of revenge and self sacrifice. For, if he allowed WB to kill him he could weaken him and save the rest of the pirates he's left behind. Everything that followed is reasonable, the allies were being exterminated left and right, they were entrapped by frozen walls, and Ace was revealed to be the son of Roger like he was told.

Akainu's deceiving also made me sick. It was the way he did it, it reminded me of a typical dirty yakuza, the way he appealed to honor while being the least honorable person there to do so. He lied about the legendary status of WB being false, he told Squard he didn't agree with the methods and that a coward like WB shouldn't be able to sacrifice everyone for his own gain while lying to the masses. If he was being serious it would be a good argument, but he completely lied to his enemy to do so. The lie itself was hypocritical as well. It was a scene that made me love Akainu, I understand war is war and he just wanted the upper hand but with the episode that sold to us as the audience just how great WB is, and for him to deploy such a dirty tactic just made me long for when WB rips off his freaking limbs...

But Whitebeard was hardly angry. He sympathized with Squard. He told him he loves no son more than another implying he'd do this for Squard as well. He embraced him, he asked for the name of the man who deceived him, and he shattered the ice walls as a symbol that if they don't believe him they can leave. Where Akainu murders deserters, WB encourages their escape if they don't believe in him or his cause. Not only do we know the beautiful acts he's done to this sea in keeping its harmony, in helping fight against the oppression of fish people, but we also have seen his compassion first hand in this war numerous times. He did not only the most practical solution to retain his childrens trust, but also one I feel was legitimate and genuine. This was so well done, in fact when WB embraced Squard and told him he's a stupid son but one he loves nonetheless I cried a little. And the final lines by him, "How ridiculous to say that I sold my sons!" gave me chills. That was so awesome.

Outside of it completely making me fall in love with Akainu and Whitebeard, and it giving me sympathy for Squard, this episode also made me see Crocodile in another light. It seemed to me that Crocodile was the one hit the most by the stabbing of WB. When I saw how he was shaking in shock and disbelief, and when I saw him scream
  • "SHAME ON YOU WHITEBEARD! I HAVE NO RECOLLECTION OF BEING BEATEN BY SUCH A WEAKLING!"
everything he's been fighting was kind of contextualized to me. I could have a wrong reading, but that's not the reaction of a man who wants to usurp someone for power alone. If he was weakened by an ally, all the better. Instead it was something far more than that. It made me think of his motivations in Alabasta. All he has ever cared about was power, gaining more power no matter who he had to put down to do so. That paired with his long history with WB made me think, perhaps this has been his whole mission in life as long as we've known him. To surpass Whitebeard. To get stronger than him and prove he's better than him. If Whitebeard has always been a symbol of what he wants to surpass, kind of like Luffy with Shanks, then it would make sense for him to be so outraged by seeing his weakness. Of course, this reading could be way out of line but that's a theory I had when I saw his reaction. I also liked how of course he'd find that weak, he's been a man to kill of his own allies when they get too dangerous.

My last point is that Buggy was frozen solid... When that happened to Robin and Luffy they had to rush them into the Merry and heat them up immediately... SOMEONE HELP CAPTAIN BUGGY OUT!!!
Aug 25, 2020 11:02 AM

May 2020
Holy shit! What a plot twist!

Betrayal!
Aug 25, 2020 1:52 PM

Mar 2017
god damn do i hate the navy now
Sep 15, 2020 8:38 AM

May 2016
Even getting severely injured by one of his own wasn't enough to shatter Whitebeard's love for his family. What should've ended in a colossal disaster resulted in everyone's respect towards him including my own skyrocketed after he did the most unexpected of gestures. Manly tears were shed this night and the strongest man on Earth finally joins in on the fight!

Feb 1, 2021 9:06 PM
Oct 2019
Hold my Fist, I'm gonna kill Akainu. Who's gonna join me?

May 30, 2021 6:08 AM

Jun 2019
Whitebeard selling his sons? That's a witty fox move for ya by the Navy.
Aug 14, 2022 2:15 AM

Dec 2018
whitebeard seems like a cool dude
Jun 20, 2023 1:09 AM
Oct 2019
I feel bad for Squard, he got tricked by that coward Akainu.

That hug was very emotional, it hit right in the kokoro.

Whitebeard W Father 🙌

Finally Whitebeard joining the battle.
IKUZO!!!
davidyodo24Jun 20, 2023 1:13 AM
Jul 11, 2023 6:33 AM
Jul 2018
I guess that’s what makes him the closest to being the king of the pirates, I thought he’d kill Squard but instead embraced him which probably strengthened the resolve of his allies. It’s a shame it didn’t get caught on the transponder snail because if that happened the public may have lost faith in the Navy.
Sep 4, 2023 7:52 AM
Sep 2023
Whitebeard is a fucking beast 5/5
Oct 10, 2023 12:34 AM

Oct 2015
The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong
- Mahatma Gandhi

That's why Whitebeard is the strongest man in the world.

Man, I teared up a bit ;_;
Nov 22, 2023 1:22 PM

Mar 2017
How dumb is Squardo to fall for that crap from Akainu? Luckily for him Whitebeard is just an amazing person xD
bingamu85Nov 22, 2023 1:25 PM
Dec 14, 2023 11:19 AM

May 2019
Hard to believe the same Whitebeard that Ace couldn't even catch off-guard in his sleep was able to get caught off-guard during a battle by a suspicious-acting Squardo.
Dec 14, 2023 11:27 AM

May 2019
I honestly think this is a case of Oda overcomplicating an already excellent narrative. Now we never get to see full-power Whitebeard fight, all over some character we've never heard of swallowing the most transparent lie from a Navy admiral. Maybe it works better in the manga.
Dec 14, 2023 11:36 AM

May 2019
Reply to Emiko_Chan
Whitebeard and his 'sons'... Doesn't he have any daughters? o_o
He does but Oda doesn't make enough women pirates sadly.
Dec 14, 2023 11:42 AM

May 2019
Reply to Pure-Spirit
I honestly think this is a case of Oda overcomplicating an already excellent narrative. Now we never get to see full-power Whitebeard fight, all over some character we've never heard of swallowing the most transparent lie from a Navy admiral. Maybe it works better in the manga.
Maybe I spoke too soon because after finishing the episode I changed my mind. It was a great twist. Oda you did it again lmao. Now Whitebeard is gonna wreck shit.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Egghead's pacing has been spectacular!

GoatPieceLuffy - 5 hours ago

6 by ido4224 »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Joe1991 - Sep 19, 2008

112 by TheStarscream759 »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 992 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FMmatron - Sep 18, 2021

83 by Yubisoft »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Would you some day completely rewatch OP?

Zimmu - Mar 13

41 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 357 Discussion

Darkreaper70 - Jun 12, 2008

45 by bakakisima »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.