Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 2, 2012 3:59 PM

Apr 2012
Ah, all the symbolism... The crown and the stairs lol.

This is really getting good now.
Mar 21, 2013 3:30 AM

May 2010
Hakuromatsu said:
I'm still watching LOGH -- just started season 4 -- but I'm looking back at this episode as one of the most significant in the series. Because the Kaiser died of natural causes, I wonder how different history would've been if he had made it another one or two years.

Reinhard would have gained even more power and probably killed the emperor.
If you are a fan of (or simply interested in) Japanese films
then please join the Cinema of Japan club! Thank you (:

May 30, 2013 10:07 AM

Nov 2011
Hakuromatsu said:
"I've learned that there are two currents of thought in human society. The opinion that there are things worth more than human life, and the opinion that there is nothing preferable to life. When people begin to fight, it's on the pretext of the former type of people, and it justifies the latter when they stop. For how many hundreds...how many thousands of years has that been continuing?"

Thank you for catching that. I wrote down a paraphrase, but this quote's much nicer. Yang is this fantastic font of wisdom.

Both governments, as Yang pointed out in a previous episode, are "bad", so I'm not entirely sure which side I'm routing for. I typically prefer aristocracies to democracies just because, but I have little more reason for bias besides that. Perhaps I will have a better idea as more is revealed of both sides, but corruption exists everywhere. I'm not yet drawn to either ideology (at least the little of each I've seen). I'm finding myself more wrapped up in personalities (Reinhard's overwhelming romantic views or simply my preference for Yang as a character).

--WHOA HIGH BISHOP? Nevermind, I've decided which side is cooler. I mean seriously, what was that! I had to rewind and watch that again. Secret room hidden behind a bookcase--I was so caught off-guard by that. I can't stop laughing, help.
Jun 7, 2013 3:08 PM

Dec 2012
Another blatant star wars rip off. Plus a secret bookcase room, played out "earth cult" concept, and a "boy genius" trope. Ummm. Alright. And am I the only one who thought it was lame how Reinhard just forgave his subordinate after some half-assed logic by Kircheis? I was expecting him to be like "Ok. We won't have an investigation as to his guilt." "Then Kircheis would rejoice and Reinhard would say "We'll just execute him here and now" and Kircheis would cry himself to sleep while wanking to thoughts of the dude's sister. I like it when Reinhard is cold blooded. Dude's subordinates are gonna take advantage of his apparent weakness now.
PolyphemusJun 7, 2013 3:15 PM
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
Jul 8, 2013 10:02 PM

May 2011
insan3soldiern said:
It's scary how much changed in one episode: The Kaiser died, Yang was promoted and is in charge of Iserlohn, Reinhard gained power by becoming the Marquis of the young Kaiser, he finally succeeded in liberating Annerose, the Earth Cult was revealed, and Julian joined the military. Talk about progress.

Definitely yes. I don't blame all those veterans for retiring lol. I also would add in the the newly appointed head of the High-Council; I wonder how he's going to do things now. I'm also glad ADMIRAL Yang is finally getting to do things his way too; his hand-picked crew looks top-notch (he's got trusted friends, those 2 epic fighter-pilots, and he even sneaked in his subordinate)

Man, this one episode and the buildup to it holds more to it than some other anime will ever accomplish in an entirety lol. That scene with Reinhard/Sieg and Annerose will never be forgotten.

What a journey... and it's only about to get bigger!

5/5
Kayaba-Jul 8, 2013 10:09 PM
Sep 12, 2013 7:05 AM

Nov 2009
Wow, why does that supposedly holy dude or whatever appear to be a Sith lord? Anyways, good stuff. And glad that Reinhard didn't punish his admiral that messed up, he needs all the allies he can get right now.
Sep 25, 2014 7:35 AM

Dec 2013
Kircheis is officially my favourite character now. Good on him to set Reinhard straight when he was being too strict to Bittenfeld. And I'm really starting to hate the artificial eyes advisor. It seems like Kircheis and him will have a show down eventually...GO KIRCHEIS!!!!!!

Great episode.

P.S. Really hoping to see Yang Wen Li and Lt. Greenhill get together!!! XDDD
ScrabbleSep 25, 2014 7:39 AM
Oct 29, 2014 10:07 PM

Mar 2012
I like how the pedo Kaiser died off-screen. Well at least Reinhard's sister is finally free from that weirdo.
Nov 13, 2014 11:02 PM

Jun 2014
What exactly is a Marquis? I'm not familiar with any of these royal rankings
Feb 4, 2015 1:54 PM

May 2012
Epic episode! Really loved this especially that ending! Looking forward to see what's next!
Feb 7, 2015 3:44 PM

Aug 2014
Its good that they can finally free their sister now. I wonder what it is gonna be like with that kid as king? Are people going to try and bribe him into doing what they want him to do for the kingdom or something like that?
May 11, 2015 9:52 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode mostly, that battle end too soon, it was very engaging.
Interesting new 5 year old Kaiser.
May 12, 2015 10:08 PM

Jun 2013
Qans said:
What exactly is a Marquis? I'm not familiar with any of these royal rankings

For all who are interested, Marquis is one of the five common titles of nobility. In the Galactic Empire, the nobility is organised according to the following ranks (in descending order): Duke (公爵), Marquis (侯爵), Count (伯爵), Viscount (子爵), and Baron (男爵). Holders of any one of these titles are conventionally translated by the subbers as "high nobles". Below those five ranks are the Reichsritter, or Imperial Knights. Reinhard's father was a Reichsritter, which explains the presence of the "von" particle in his original surname Müsel. The high nobles would consider the Reichsritter as petty nobility and were generally disdainful of them (cf. their attitudes towards Reinhard).

Examples of high nobles in LoGH: Duke Otto von Braunschweig (not Prince, although that is also a possible translation of 公爵), Marquis Wilhelm von Littenheim, Count Reinhard von Lohengramm (when he was first bestowed with the surname Lohengramm; he would personally elevate himself in rank as the series progresses), Viscount Richard von Grimmelshausen (the seemingly senile fleet commander whom Reinhard served under in the Gaiden series) and Baron Flegel (one of Duke Braunschweig's nephews)
May 24, 2015 9:31 AM
Nov 2014
Pretty amazing turn of events with the kaiser dying off screen, happy to see Reinhard's sister is finally out from her ''cage'' and him getting lectured by Kircheis was pretty motivating.
Jun 21, 2015 11:59 PM

Dec 2013
Surprised that the Kaiser just died off screen like that. Definitely interested in what role Phezzan will play in the future.
Jul 13, 2015 9:07 PM

Feb 2015
It seems Palpatine is now in this.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 11, 2015 5:18 AM

Jan 2014
Reinhard didn't have the chance to give that
Avenger-senpai said:
pedo Kaiser
what he deserved. Too bad :(

Rubinsky seems dangerous.
And yays, Juliaaan~
Aug 11, 2015 9:45 AM

Aug 2013
Looks like Lex luthor's playing everyone for a fool.
Nov 8, 2015 7:05 AM
ざわ・・ ざわ・・

Oct 2012
Love this series so far but god damn there's so many names to remember.
May 30, 2016 3:42 PM

Aug 2014
I wasn't so surprised about the news of the Kaiser dying of a heart attack, it always did seems he would kick the bucket at any given moment. Well at least Annerose is finally free, right Siegfried? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Yang promoted to Admiral while Reinhard to Marquis? This should be fun.
Dec 20, 2016 12:07 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The space battle ends, whit the victory of Reinhards!!!!
Yang scapes of the enemy and the death!!!
The Kaiser is death, and now in the Empire begin a new inside war by the throne!!!

Kircheis, is the voice of the conscience of Reinhard... During the episode was a tense scene, that we can watch that if not for Kircheis, Reinhard can loses in the dark!!!
Apr 16, 2017 8:09 PM
Jul 2018
So far, I found Yang very interesting character.But still this anime didn't capture my mood, However the most interesting is that what lies in the future.
Dec 16, 2017 9:18 AM

Dec 2014
MagisterArcanum said:

For all who are interested, Marquis is one of the five common titles of nobility. In the Galactic Empire, the nobility is organised according to the following ranks (in descending order): Duke (公爵), Marquis (侯爵), Count (伯爵), Viscount (子爵), and Baron (男爵). Holders of any one of these titles are conventionally translated by the subbers as "high nobles". Below those five ranks are the Reichsritter, or Imperial Knights. Reinhard's father was a Reichsritter, which explains the presence of the "von" particle in his original surname Müsel. The high nobles would consider the Reichsritter as petty nobility and were generally disdainful of them (cf. their attitudes towards Reinhard).

Examples of high nobles in LoGH: Duke Otto von Braunschweig (not Prince, although that is also a possible translation of 公爵), Marquis Wilhelm von Littenheim, Count Reinhard von Lohengramm (when he was first bestowed with the surname Lohengramm; he would personally elevate himself in rank as the series progresses), Viscount Richard von Grimmelshausen (the seemingly senile fleet commander whom Reinhard served under in the Gaiden series) and Baron Flegel (one of Duke Braunschweig's nephews)

Thanks for that lesson, dude

Yep, a lot of things has changed in this episode
Love... hurts... so...
Jan 12, 2018 3:51 AM

May 2016
My love for Yang, Reinhard and Kircheis increases episode after episode I loved how Reinhard listened to Kircheis I hope there relationship remain well cause if that bond breaks it would be a catastrophe.
Feb 7, 2018 12:11 AM
Nov 2017
Lex Luthor and Palpatine together? The future does not bode well.
Aug 29, 2018 8:37 PM

Feb 2017
I never expected Reinhard to find an ally in Lichtenlade.
Oct 22, 2019 6:50 AM

Oct 2012
Haha Reinhard as 2nd Hitler, well Yang is probably not wrong
But that spot is taken by Johan or "Monster" xD

That sucks, I'd love to see the Kaiser suffers first before he died

I always forgot there's not only 2 factions in this war, there are few like Phezzan

Julian have joined the war, he's probably also a very strong tactician/commander
"Signature removed"
Dec 29, 2019 2:13 AM
Feb 2018
The Kaiser is dead wow. And those 2 uncles to the child are not gonna take his rise to power lightly. There is gonna be a civil war. And now earth has been introduced.
Nov 19, 2020 6:44 PM

Jul 2016
CrossfitJesus said:
It seems Palpatine is now in this.

Ha.

First thought I had as well.

Palpatine has entered the game.
Feb 8, 2021 11:22 AM
Jan 2018
Was there a translation error when they talk about the 3 grandchildren and Reinhard ask who would shake his hand and it said Lichtenlade ??
Feb 9, 2021 1:46 AM

Jun 2013
Mattinator95 said:
Was there a translation error when they talk about the 3 grandchildren and Reinhard ask who would shake his hand and it said Lichtenlade ??

It is not. Bear in mind that the 3 grandchildren are all still minors; therefore they do not actually hold any power whatsoever. Instead, they are set up to be proxies for the actual power-holders. Now, 2 of the 3 grandchildren are representing the interests of their respective fathers (Duke Braunschweig and Marquis Littenheim), while the remaining one (ie, Erwin Josef II) has no backer. Because of that, the last grandchild becomes useful for Lichtenlade, who wants to perpetuate his political power even after the passing of Friedrich IV. And since he does not command any troops himself, he would need to ally with Reinhard to be able to fend off the abovementioned nobles.
Apr 4, 2021 9:40 PM
May 2020
the alliance lost a lot of power and the empire is seen to be on the verge of a civil war.

typical intergalactic day
Apr 23, 2021 2:54 PM

Feb 2012
2021 Rewatch

Yang's prowess in the losing battle impressed those in Reinhard's fleet. The "two tides of thought in human society" quote is great. While there's the conflict between alliance and empire, the struggle between the two tides of thought are in both. Trunicht's becoming very powerful politically.

"Could Count Lohengramm be aiming to be come a second Rudolf?", echoing Reinhard and the statue, knowing that the imperial "nobility" started somewhere. This succession crisis can give him a chance to do this, but he will have to deal with the secret players; Phezzan and the Terraist church.

Yang got promoted and is in control of the Iserlohn Fortress he captured. Julian is now in the military.
Fortress_MaximusApr 28, 2021 2:36 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jul 12, 2021 12:21 PM

Jun 2020
Fezzan boutta be like da jews in nazi germany lool

"dey stealin r munny n causin da wars!!!!!!!!1!1!!!"
Dec 15, 2021 10:33 AM
Nov 2020
For me, this is the episode where this show takes off and never looks back
Jan 10, 2022 2:49 PM

Nov 2019
Hail Der Kaiser. Long live the king.

It feels like reading Romance of The Three Kingdoms, again...
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Apr 5, 2022 4:32 AM

Dec 2007
for some reason the whole activities caught in this episode made me think that all what happened 'till now was only the epilogue to the series lol. it just had this kind of vibes.

continuing the talk had been started in this discussion - yes, great bishop felt like palapatin lol. but though the comparing between LotGH to star wars, how long that LotGH won't have a dark side force or whatever, so far i think LotGH is surpassing star wars. both in term of politics (in star wars it's mainly in the prequel trilogy) and in term of action. (in star wars most space battles are "we need to bomb the core of the death star")

though all, it feels as the anime made us like both sides, alliance and empire, and introducing that great bishop as new earth side, and rubinski too, i can't help but to think the anime wants us to hate them. and it somewhat gives me the feel of yang and reinhard combine forces against earth.e

another thing. for some reason i feel as reinhard is fighting the whole noble system. maybe the writer is destining him to be Communist, that would be interesting.
User-NameApr 5, 2022 4:36 AM
Sep 12, 2022 10:22 AM
Aug 2019
epic space battles (im definetly enjoying this series) (pleasea help!!!)
Nov 14, 2022 6:36 AM

May 2018
All the pieces are now put into place! I can't wait to see the most epic chess battles ever now :D
Jan 4, 2023 11:21 AM

Aug 2018
That Bishop seems to be something serious at least from the way it looks, reminds me of Emperor Palpatine from Star Wars, 

Kircheis was really great troughout the episode but the biggest shocker is that damn Kaiser is dead, in the future with all that advanced technology and medicine you would think that he should live at least 200 years but dies at embrassing age of 66, guess that drinking was part of the reason.

Wonder who will get the throne, there might be a massive coup coming soon unfortunately not in Alliance

May 22, 2023 9:44 PM
Dec 2021
I like Reinhard but imo he needs a bit more focus. TBH all the characters are pretty damn good. 
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 39 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 30, 2008

62 by wibugar »»
Yesterday, 6:32 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 110 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tainteddonut - Jun 7, 2008

604 by Unkrowned »»
Apr 30, 12:47 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 89 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tainteddonut - Jun 4, 2008

160 by Unkrowned »»
Apr 29, 1:07 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 82 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tainteddonut - Jun 2, 2008

431 by Unkrowned »»
Apr 29, 10:46 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 54 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 30, 2008

140 by Unkrowned »»
Apr 28, 2:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.