Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Aug 3, 2010 11:17 PM

Feb 2008
Good start, I liked it, although, as every other person here as already stated, the premise is "generic", but who really cares, it's entertaining and it gets the job done. Heck in twenty years when almost every possible scenario for a story is done, will everything be considered generic?
Aug 4, 2010 3:44 AM

Feb 2010
nice first movie the 2nd should have lot more action.
Aug 4, 2010 7:52 PM

Dec 2007
Lol @ the naming debate. Should really just be happy that someone spent their time and effort to sub it for you...

Anime was ok. Would have been better if it was longer.
Aug 6, 2010 4:45 AM

Nov 2009
was kinda bored watching it but it still kept me interested in the next one
Aug 6, 2010 9:27 PM

Aug 2009
7/10
Wasn't very exciting but seems like its gonna get interesting~
Sigyn is hot too.. and a married woman.
Aug 7, 2010 10:54 PM

Jun 2009
You guys are always fighting about subs. What matters most is the story,and as long as you can comprehend what it says, it's good. After watching, it's common to check out other info about the anime so its all good.

Okay, they said it's kind of generic, but how they piled everything up was really great.

~Although I didn't notice the King's ring, only Queen Sigyn (didn't wear it)
~Sigyn and Rygart moment (it is said that Rygart has financial problem so Sigyn might have no choice)
~Nude scene =)
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Aug 8, 2010 9:01 PM

Jun 2009
I especially love the art of this anime, and Rygart. But the movie was too short, I hope the next movie will be good. I wonder why Sigyn did not wear the ring?

Aug 9, 2010 2:20 AM

Mar 2008
yun90 said:
I especially love the art of this anime, and Rygart. But the movie was too short, I hope the next movie will be good. I wonder why Sigyn did not wear the ring?

I'm really thinking that marriage was more for convenience than anything else. It gave Hodr someone he could trust on the throne with him and maybe it gives Sigyn the ability to do research on items that normally she wouldn't have access to. Plus they were both friends so it would be a comfortable arrangement at least. Will be interesting to see what happens as the movies go along since there is definitely something between Rygart and Sigyn.

Overall enjoyed the movie. The animation was solid and I'm getting into the story.
Aug 14, 2010 11:05 PM

May 2009
^^Plus things might have turned out very differently had Rygart been able to stay at the academy.

The movie was brief, but at the same time it stopped at a logical point in the story.

I thought the adaptation was done really well. As someone wrote earlier, the battle scenes were easier to follow compared to the anime. Color definitely helped and it was cleaner. The character designs were simplified a bit, but still very good.

Looking forward to the next installment.
Aug 17, 2010 1:05 AM

Jun 2009
The animation in the beginning almost made my hopes die, but the quality rose as it went on to become rather awesome. The art is superb. Story is meh. I'll admit though, without the tension between Lygotto and Shigwen (or Rygart and Sigyn), I'd probably ignore this story.
Aug 17, 2010 7:46 AM

Jan 2010
it was pretty good .. Interesting characters..
Aug 17, 2010 7:49 AM
Jun 2008
nice start ^^
I hope to watch the full series.
Aug 20, 2010 9:03 PM
Aug 2008
very interesting movie with still 2 moives to come. i hope the other 2 movies will be more interesting. isnt it a bit too few with only 3 movies in total? well, i hope for the best.
Aug 24, 2010 6:34 PM

Jan 2010
blauw said:
was kinda bored watching it but it still kept me interested in the next one

Same here.
Aug 25, 2010 6:22 PM

Dec 2009
can't wait for the next:) I tried reading the manga but.. for some reason this one time the anime seems better than the manga. :P
Aug 27, 2010 7:20 AM

Jun 2009
Suprisingly, it was pretty good. Waiting for some Sigyn x Rygart development.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Aug 29, 2010 8:51 AM

Aug 2008
-MugeN- said:
very interesting movie with still 2 moives to come. i hope the other 2 movies will be more interesting. isnt it a bit too few with only 3 movies in total? well, i hope for the best.

There will be a total of 6 movies. The other 3 aren't listed on MAL yet though. I guess since they don't have a release date? I don't know.

I really enjoyed this. I've had it downloaded for awhile, and have been putting it off but watched it today out of boredom, and I'm really glad I did. I'm easily entertained so I enjoy the story, and the relationship between the characters (with them being old friends and all) is good. Can't wait to see some more action in movie 2.
Sep 8, 2010 12:08 AM

Feb 2010
This is really good. That end just makes me want to watch the next one.
Sep 15, 2010 11:37 AM
Jun 2010
8/10

Cool Movie/OVA or what ever. Pretty generic for a mecha, I mean everything I've seen was already in Mobile Suit Gundam/Code Geass. Very fluid animation, one of the biggest advantage of being a Movie/OVA . I hope there will be more character development later on.

Gotta love the fan service in the last couple of minutes lol.

I can already predict the potential romance between Blue Eyes Blond Non-Magical Main Character and the Green Eyes Blond Queen. Her (and the king) not wearing the wedding ring is a good indication...

Oct 9, 2010 8:11 AM

Jan 2010
that was cool. I liked it.
Nov 14, 2010 2:49 AM

Apr 2009
Gotta say, I loved the OP. And even though it really does seem a bit overdone a plot device, with the friends fighting against one another, I found it pretty...well, for a lack of better word, cool xP Now, the only question is - who's gonna die? :D Because someone definitely is. If they go with the predictable route, it's gonna be Hodr, so Rygart and Sigyn can be together. If they go for some originality, it's gonna be Sigyn >:] And I'd love that, mwahaha.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Feb 11, 2011 2:33 PM
Dec 2007
It's just like an Escaflowne for the poor, with lesser music, art, script and characters. The only thing that's up to par is the direction (well, Tetsuro Amino IS indeed a great veteran director). However, Break Blade is kind of entertaining and the universe seems really well thought-out, so it's definitely worth checking the following movie.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Feb 21, 2011 6:30 AM

Aug 2009
I never expected to really like this movie.
But I did. The animation was HNNNGH. And the seiyuu were amazing. Very high production values.

The story was pretty cool, but the childhoodfriends fighting each for their country is pretty clich. I don't get where Zess is from though and why he's fighting Hodr and the blond dude.
5/5, 8/10
Mar 1, 2011 1:44 AM

Jan 2009
Because both OP and ED are awesome.
No but seriously, I liked the movie. It's not like it's the best movie evar (which it really isn't), but it's definitely worth watching.
On to part 2, I guess. ┐( ̄ー ̄)┌
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Mar 5, 2011 8:18 PM

Aug 2010
This was pretty amazing. Love traditional mech anime.
May 11, 2011 1:50 PM

Oct 2009
Good movie, I like it.

Cliffhanger at the end xD
Jun 3, 2011 11:58 PM

Jun 2009
That was a fine introduction for this series.

Clearly lacked more action, a little bit of romance was nice and Faylan<3
Jun 4, 2011 1:20 PM

Mar 2010
I actually really liked it. It aired quite some time ago from my understanding, though. Nonetheless, it was the whole deal with everything a good movie needed; great characters, good story, great development, and the whole works. I'm definitely going to pick up on this series. My only concern is that it feels like a total rip off of the ''GUNDAM'' series. Looking forward to the next!
Jun 8, 2011 8:26 AM

Apr 2009
The Under-golem somehow reminded me of the Gundam Unicorn with it's broken blade-like horn and with red lights on it's head. Anyway I liked the action, it's a very good to the series.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jul 18, 2011 4:57 PM

Sep 2010
Pretty good intro.
Aug 2, 2011 12:23 AM

Sep 2008
That was a pretty good start I guess, I mean after all, it had a huge-titted 12 year old and a sexy Sigyn.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 13, 2011 7:18 PM

Aug 2008
Jacut said:
It's just like an Escaflowne for the poor, with lesser music, art, script and characters. The only thing that's up to par is the direction (well, Tetsuro Amino IS indeed a great veteran director). However, Break Blade is kind of entertaining and the universe seems really well thought-out, so it's definitely worth checking the following movie.

Hopefully, I'll like this in the end a hell of a lot more than I did Escaflowne. It doesn't show as much potential to go batsh*t crazy. But I agree when it comes to the unique concept. The mecha asction has been my kinda style too.

Nov 8, 2011 1:51 AM

Jun 2008
Sucrose said:
shuwashuwa said:
I am so loving this. The animation and music are superb.

That Cleo girl is definitely not 12.

I thought Yoko was fucking out of this world..
Now we have Cleo.. LOL

Yeah when i heard 12 i was like "No fucking way!". This people are crazy passing that as 12.

Anyway animation and art was good. Plot, well not much happen really, it certainly seemed to not be very fast paced or full of action but i guess first movie is necessary for us to meet the characters too.
Am not sure am very pleased with this quantz and magic idea. I'm more traditional guy that prefers his mech moving because of good old fashion technology.

As about the king and queen. I don't feel like the main will break a relationship really because they don't even seem to have a relationship. They seemed to have married out of typicality. She's sleeps alone(awesome fanservice btw, what a sleeping pose) and the guy sleeps in his freaking chair. He can't even go to bed. So the relationship seems not existent from the start.
Nov 8, 2011 2:22 AM

Dec 2010
STM said:
I never expected to really like this movie.
But I did. The animation was HNNNGH. And the seiyuu were amazing. Very high production values.

I don't get where Zess is from though and why he's fighting Hodr and the blond dude.
5/5, 8/10

Zess is from Athens, Hodr and Rygart are from Krisna.

Monad said:

Yeah when i heard 12 i was like "No fucking way!". This people are crazy passing that as 12.

would you prefer some 25 year old in the body of a loli?

Dec 2, 2011 8:27 AM

Dec 2010
kisami said:
lol you call that a cliff hanger? you know its coming. it must suck for the queen to be married to a man she doesn't love.

My thoughts exactly. I think that both of them love each other, I don't really know why she married the least cool of the three = Anyway, I liked this movie it was totally good for me.

1. Characters. +1. I liked three of the fourth friends(Hordr skcus no matter how we speak of it). Zess is just as serious as I expected him to be judging by his look. I liked Rygart better then I thought I'd do - he seems like the typical main character at first look - it's really hard not to associate him with Naruto's look lolz. Jk, I actually liked Rygart. And of course - Sigyn - whoah, she's hell of a good, smart and sexy main character, one of my favorite female(characters), and I like her attitude too ^__^ . And even one of the Zess girls - that Lee - she's a real bitch, so much that I can't do anything else than admire her, lol :D
2. Atmosphere. +1. The anime didn't turn out exactly to what I expected, talking about the scene - but this futuristic place the things are taking place onto is good enough for my taste. The feeling for a war going around is well made too.
3. OST. +1. The OP was beutiful and the ED was just epic. In one moment I heard one that I considered as very good.
4. Animation. +1. Nonetheless, this anime has one of the best animation styles I've seen so far, and I really doubt that I'd change my mind about it ever.
5. Background story. No point here, 'cause there wasn't really much of a background story. The four friends' story was good, though.
6. Storyline. +1. The story isn't finished at all at this point, but I can easily say that it fits my test perfectly. I don't think that it will take bad direction in the next parts, but we'll see.
7. Ending. No point here, just because there weren't even hint of an ending. I know that there are several parts more, but nonetheless this one didn't have any ending at all.
8. Fight scenes. I won't give point here at this time - there weren't much of a real fights at this point, but if there will be any in the next series I think that they'll be any bad, judging by the little I saw now.
9. Drama. +1. I know that it can be argued if there were much of a drama, but I think there were some - like the Sigyn's marriage in which she doesn't seem much happy or her feelings on Rygart... or even the broken friendship between Zess and the other three.
10. Overall feeling. +1. It was totally OK anime for me, nothing less than what I expected. Rygart found his place which I liked.
Bonus(extra) point for:...

Overall score: 8/10.

I'm already looking forward to the next part even if it's just to get more of Sygun's sexiness :D
Dec 9, 2011 2:28 AM

Sep 2008
That was a great start. Shame its only 51 mins long including credits.
Feb 8, 2012 6:06 PM

Jun 2010
I wish they had been more imaginative than to steal names from history for the countries here. "Athens"? "Assam"? "Krishna" isn't much better, but at least it wasn't a country, although it does make it incongruous that the royal family have names from Norse mythology.

It's also a shame that it uses the Sunrise formula (or to be more precise, the Gundam formula) so closely that it even has the male lead accidentally fall into a robot while the area its in is under attack then stumblingly manage to fend off an enemy robot.

It shows some more initiative with the technical aspect of the robot thing. Compressed air guns, no explosives, and armor that shatters and flakes rather than bends and tears is something a little different, at least.

The political situation is somewhat interesting, too. The map-aided explanation makes it look as if Athens move against Krishna is just a maneuver for a superior position against the larger country to the east, Orlando. Maybe its called "Athens" for a reason then, since this ruthlessness to a weak neutral state (and the hostility to aristocracy) reminds me of Athens at the height of its power as a city state. Maybe Krishna should be called Milos instead.

The offered terms also make me wonder about Hodr's decision; is it moral to take the whole country into a war he doesn't think it can win and doesn't want to fight just to save his life and the life of his wife? That he doesn't seem to care about the throne and that his marriage seems to be mutually loveless (neither wear their rings) makes it kind of interesting.

Cleo is astoundingly annoying. For that other character to just happen to tell us she's 12 (!) and has huge boobs (which had already been shoved in our faces) makes it even more ridiculous. Did they really need to appease the moe fad like this?
Sep 8, 2012 11:23 PM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
Progeusz said:
It's SHIGWEN-sama, god damn it, not some Sigyn. BREAKE Blade, not broken. General BARD, not Baldr. King HOZUL, not Hodr.
Someone must have hit his head pretty hard to think up these shitty subs >_<
They almost destroyed my fun watching this awesome anime...
It looks absolutely AWESOME, animation is great, characters - we know, they're excellent, Shigwen-sama, Lygatto, Zess (the ONLY difference between m&a that I can possibly accept. Actually, imo it's better than original Zesu). I want MOAR, with proper subs.

Personally I liked GG's subs. They actually put some effort into finding out what the actual official names were, as opposed to just typing whatever was said.

You remind me of those people that argued that Lacus' name was Rakkusu or Lux, even after Gundam Seed was officially released in English. Same with 'Alucard/Arucard' from hellsing.

Nov 7, 2012 1:57 AM

May 2011
So good

Nov 11, 2012 2:11 PM

Aug 2010
I liked it. I haven't read the manga, but I got what was happening. The mecha designs are cool, and the animation is really fluid and crisp.

At first, I didn't like the main character, but by the end, I grew to like him and ended up rooting for him. Can't wait to watch film 2.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Jan 13, 2013 6:08 AM

Apr 2009
FlareKnight said:
I'm really thinking that marriage was more for convenience than anything else. It gave Hodr someone he could trust on the throne with him and maybe it gives Sigyn the ability to do research on items that normally she wouldn't have access to. Plus they were both friends so it would be a comfortable arrangement at least.
This perfectly summarizes what I thought of the royal couple's marriage when both didn't wear their wedding rings in their private moments. It's most likely due to their marriage being one of friendly, mutual convenience rather than the two not getting along that they don't act like a married couple.

That said, I actually enjoyed this movie a lot more than I expected. Looking forward to the next ones.
Feb 15, 2013 10:43 PM

May 2010
Annoying voices...
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
May 14, 2013 7:36 PM

Jul 2008
Reminds me of Xenogears with the whole ancient robot found buried under ground and the desert kingdom. I think I will enjoy this series.
Sep 8, 2013 8:23 PM

Feb 2013
Not bad. There really isn't much else to say about it... Cleo is 12? really?
Dec 22, 2013 9:32 AM

Jun 2013
While it could have been much better, considering i am not a fan of mecha, i thought that the first part was pretty good! :)
Jan 17, 2014 2:31 AM

Aug 2013
That was pretty good. So Sigyn's married to Hodr but it does seem like it's only a marriage for convenience. On the other hand, seems like Sigyn likes Rygart :3
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Feb 4, 2014 4:53 AM

Dec 2012
A decent and interesting start. The setting and premise are fascinating but it had quite a few dry moments that made it feel like it dragged sometimes. If I had to score based off this alone, I'd say a 6/10. There seems to be a good amount of prominent seiyuu in this and I enjoyed hearing a gathering of a few of my favorites. Will definitely continue on this, curious to see what shape this will take.
Mar 4, 2014 4:37 PM

Nov 2012
How the MC just happened to active the mecha seemed so tacky and fake.

Cleo only 12,wow those boobs don't seem like they belong to a 12 year old XD.

Sigyn fanservice was pretty random tbh.And she seem awfully flirtatious with Rygart even though she's marrying the king.

The whole friendS are enemies thing seemed so cliche too.6/10.
Apr 4, 2014 2:22 AM

Jun 2011
One of the few mecha anime that I not only enjoyed but wanted to keep watching! ^v^
Jun 19, 2014 9:19 AM

May 2013
A solid start to the movie series. I find this MC very likable and mechas are cool in my opinion. The acting marriage is interesting and it is pretty cute when Sigyn is a bit touchy with Rygart.

7/10.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Break Blade ? ANIME? OR ?MANGA?

thecursedone - Feb 1, 2013

6 by jjrocks24 »»
Oct 30, 2013 7:11 PM

» release date

N0mad - May 31, 2010

10 by MeitDeist »»
Jul 30, 2010 7:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.