Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 11, 8:06 AM
The Attack Titan

May 2019
Why are Highschool Romances an Evergreen genre but Isekai gotten stale?

Jul 11, 8:25 AM

Sep 2016
BerriesSan said:
Why are Highschool Romances an Evergreen

Because the target audience is horny teens?
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jul 11, 8:34 AM
The Attack Titan

May 2019
Reply to Zarutaku
BerriesSan said:
Why are Highschool Romances an Evergreen

Because the target audience is horny teens?
@Zarutaku
isnt it the same for isekai too tho

Jul 11, 8:45 AM

Feb 2024
High school is written as two words and this is an X vs Y thread.
Jul 11, 8:50 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to BerriesSan
@Zarutaku
isnt it the same for isekai too tho
@BerriesSan Isekai is for those who failed and want to start over ;) myself included
Jul 11, 8:52 AM
Jun 2019
Isekai is getting repetitive.
This genre has so much potential imho, but authors are really just using the same tropes over and over again.
Damn, we even have "subgenres" of isekai, like "reincarnated as a villainess", "reincarnated as a random creature/object/whatever", "reincarnated and just chilling", "reincarnated with 9999999999 power level but just chilling"... and every anime in these "categories" is just a cheap copy of each other.
Also, isekai doesn't even need to always be fantasy, but of course it's always a generic-as-shit fantasy world.
Sometimes the series wouldn't even need to be isekai. In many series the whole reincarnation thing is mentioned in the first episode... and never again. At that point why didn't they just do a fantasy anime without the isekai?

Of course there are exceptions, like Tensura, Mushoku Tensei and Shield Hero (at least the first season), that managed to build a good world and a good story without reusing tropes, bringing something not necessarily new but certainly refreshing to see.

Romances, on the other side... yeah if you put it like that I don't know how exactly they are not considered repetitive.
I mean, sometimes they are, but I guess romances focuses a lot on the characters and their interactions, so just some slight variations are enough to make a series "new" or "refreshing" without being the cheap copy of another one. But I know this is a weak argument.

Also... yeah, I like girls in a real life context more than I like girls casting spells
Jul 11, 8:53 AM

Sep 2018
Highschool romance is usually not a harem power fantasy not that I dislike all of them. Isekai recycles a lot more than highschool romance in general too.
Pretty much most isekai protags are battle shounen neets. Also, isekai romance is almost always trash. A really big issue withisekai is that the mcs get treated like gods turning most supporting characters into useless worshippers of the mc since he now has power despite being a bullied nobody in his previous life.
rohan121Jul 11, 8:58 AM
Jul 11, 9:12 AM

Mar 2018
There’s more variety. Isekai uses the same tropes, same setting same everything way too often and it’s more noticeable when isekai is getting released like every day now. Like I’d actually be into isekai if it didn’t use the same exact medieval setting each time. Like why not I got reincarnated into a dating sim, a horror game, Saints row, A character who’s in a game but doesn’t realize their in a game I DONT KNOW anything other than medieval rpg harem fantasy like it’s so tiring.
Jul 11, 9:15 AM

Sep 2018
Because isekai, I mean the currently trending narou-kei isekai, is something too specific to be an evergreen genre. Too specific = too derivative = too many recurring tropes = people will eventually get tired of them. To schematize:

- Romance and Fantasy are evergreen
- High School Romance and Medieval Fantasy are a bit more specific but still evergreen
- a specific subgenre of high school romance (e.g. violent tsundere femc) and narou-kei isekai (overpowered reincarnated mc, demon lord, guilds, skills...) cannot be evergreen
Jul 11, 9:19 AM

Oct 2010
because people love waifus and high school romances offer that just like isekai.
Jul 11, 10:32 AM
Jul 2018
Maybe this is just my ignorance... but if a genre has gotten stale, then why is it still being produced ad nauseam?

Like, I get it "cause money". Makes sense. But if something like isekai is really that bad, yet its being gobbled up like candy, then clearly they must be doing something right.

Also, as for why highschool romance being evergreen, is because there will always be highschoolers in this world, so they'll always have something they can relate to.

As for isekai, its really for people that don't enjoy their current life or just wanna consume some anime based on other interests (like power fantasy, etc).
Jul 11, 10:36 AM

Jul 2021
It's not. Romance is just as much full of tropes as Isekai.
Jul 11, 12:40 PM
The Attack Titan

May 2019
Reply to JoeChip
High school is written as two words and this is an X vs Y thread.
@JoeChip this isnt an x vs y thread, im asking a question for discussion wtf

Jul 12, 5:20 AM

Jul 2017
I feel like both are very stale to be honest. High school romance anime that I like have something different specifically about those shows that interest me more than the common denominator and have real depth to them (Tsuki ga Kirei, Insomniacs After School) and same goes with isekai anime (Mushoku Tensei, the first two seasons of Iruma-kun). There has been a significant oversaturation of isekai anime over the last few years with titles being so terrible and shows feeling very interchangeable with others due to how generic the premise is and how quickly any gimmick gets old and turns into a boring isekai wish-fulfillment show. But admittedly, even romance anime or rom-coms can feel similar to me, especially if the characters don't stand out or aren't charming whatsoever to carry the insipid plots they tend to have on average, and the amount of them have been increasing more and more to make it oversaturated as well. Ultimately like other anime outside these bubbles, I just want shows I enjoy a lot with characters and writing that I can care for.
Jul 12, 5:58 AM

Mar 2023
Isekai is slightly better than school romances. But that's only because stuffs is happening in them.
Jul 12, 1:07 PM

Jun 2007
I'm just waiting until we get "With the Demon King's Daughter's Help, I Fixed My Wayward Highschool Romantic Comedy In Another World With My Underpowered Level 0 Cheat Skill."

Everything that connects to MAL

Contains Ecchi, but not Tagged Ecchi: Part 1 || Part 2 || Part 3

Jul 12, 5:02 PM

Aug 2017
I love high school setting in any genre. I also love when its an isekai high school.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jul 12, 10:12 PM
Mar 2021
Isekai's generally need a plot to deliver value. While romances depend moreso on character chemistry and cute interactions.

Having isekais with repetitive plots quickly gets tiring because we as viewers seek uniqueness in plots, so our thoughts are engaged. When the a story is predictable, it quickly gets boring.

However, we can easily see the same character interactions in romances and it will generally please us as long as the dialogues are fun. I think slice of life is similar in this regard. Additionally, even slight adjustments in characters and there backgrounds can lead to very different dialogues. For example, in many high school romances with the male lead portrayed as plain, there are different ways to go about doing so (they're invisible, they read the room very well, traumatic past). Each of these will lead to different dialogues with the female lead. However, isekai protagonists having different variations of being OP doesn't really have a significant difference on the plot.
Jul 12, 10:23 PM

Oct 2013
Maybe because they rarely make an isekai that doesn't take place in the same type of setting. Still waiting on my savior Tanya to come back. I need Nut to hurry up and finish.

I'd argue isekai has way more potential than school romance plots, but they aren't fully utilizing it. How many times can you do the teen love story thing and still make it interesting? Now compare that to how insane the premise of going to another world could be if it had more thought put into it.
FanofActionJul 12, 10:27 PM
Aug 2, 6:23 AM

Jan 2018
isekai is another word for imparting your knowledge in another world to make money in real life. they show school for nobles, but never show commoner's school. maybe there shall be a reincarnated as a weed dealer.
Aug 2, 7:05 AM

Apr 2024
Highschool romance but straight ...
fuck it, Im too old for that BS cliche.
Highschool romance but gay ...
yeah, Im in!
Aug 2, 12:27 PM
Jul 2024
Reply to Zalis
I'm just waiting until we get "With the Demon King's Daughter's Help, I Fixed My Wayward Highschool Romantic Comedy In Another World With My Underpowered Level 0 Cheat Skill."
@Zalis <sigh> I would watch it too. Help, I'm addicted. It's like eating bad potato chips. Not much taste, but you still can't stop!

More topics from this board

» How to tell if you're a true fan

BestListMAL - 2 minutes ago

0 by BestListMAL »»
2 minutes ago

» Does this forum have influence on anime studios?

Cammell - 5 hours ago

25 by ShatteredSans »»
7 minutes ago

» What if all we know about anime and manga in the west is wrong?

thewiru - Yesterday

15 by alshu »»
8 minutes ago

» Would you watch an anime with Hitler as the main character

JoeChip - 3 hours ago

26 by logopolis »»
9 minutes ago

» Will we ever get an anime as good as Zima Blue

JoeChip - 3 hours ago

7 by desusama »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.