Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 20, 12:37 PM

Sep 2021
Is this Deedlit's influence? Or maybe Legolas's? Are there any exceptions (other than 'dark elves')?

(this looks like a manga exception https://myanimelist.net/manga/120704/Otaku_no_Tonari_wa_Elf_desu_ka)
Jun 20, 12:49 PM

Feb 2016
I have been wondering that too. A lot of Tolkien's most beautiful elves are brunettes.
その目だれの目?
Jun 20, 12:51 PM

Jun 2024
It is really simple if you think about it. Japan often depicts Europeans with blond hair, blue eyes, regardless of region. Elves in Japanese media are associated with European-based settings.
Jun 20, 12:59 PM

Aug 2020
I think it's mostly just that "fantasy" is so often still just used synonymous with "European medieval-inspired fantasy".
Jun 21, 12:19 AM

May 2024
I think it's just how the Japanese perceive divine/fantastical beauty or sth. Same way westerners perceive angels as being full of bright colors like white and gold.
Jun 21, 12:39 AM

Apr 2020
elves = ethereal, elegant, godlike abilities
the color white = ethereal, elegant, associated with god/heaven
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 21, 12:41 AM

Dec 2022
Because in the German lore, elf meant "white beings".

-Tohka is better than Kurumi. You can't change my mind. 

Jun 21, 12:53 AM

Feb 2024
Originated from Legolas and Galadriel, then made a standard by dnd (drows, high elves). I think dnd is more influential than original Tolkien's books nowdays, it leaked into pretty much all fantasy.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Jun 21, 12:56 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to DinoNo1
Because in the German lore, elf meant "white beings".
@DinoNo1 Never heard about that, doesn't feel like a German thing to me.
Jun 21, 1:01 AM

Sep 2016
Because the term "elf" is most probably related to some ancient European words that are connected to whiteness (such as Latin "albus", Ancient Greek "alphos" and most similarly Albanian "elb") and they all share a common ancestor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elf#Etymology
ZarutakuJun 21, 2:32 AM
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jun 21, 1:03 AM

Nov 2019
Because Elves don't hail from Africa. Slap that on a T-shirt. lol
Don't let others ruin things for you. Even if a toxic fan pisses in your cereal, you could just get another bowl of cereal.
My Anime List - My Manga List
Jun 21, 1:07 AM

Jan 2009
dark girl characters usually have white hair too and there are lots of blonde girl characters so its just a japan thing i think
Jun 21, 1:11 AM

Jun 2024
Because it makes sense visually, otherwise, they would be called dark elves.
Jun 21, 1:14 AM

Dec 2022
Reply to LoveYourSmile
@DinoNo1 Never heard about that, doesn't feel like a German thing to me.
@LoveYourSmile https://mythicalencyclopedia.com/elf/

-Tohka is better than Kurumi. You can't change my mind. 

Jun 21, 1:23 AM

Feb 2024
@DinoNo1
Ok, not gonna argue, will stick to my delusions though.

Just a little note: even if it's true, it doesn't necessarily say anything about hair color. For instance, drows are typically white/silver-haired even being dark themselves.
Jun 21, 1:29 AM

Jun 2016
Tolkien I guess. I don't think Deedlit had that much influence, at least compared to Tolkien.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jun 21, 8:35 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to LoveYourSmile
Originated from Legolas and Galadriel, then made a standard by dnd (drows, high elves). I think dnd is more influential than original Tolkien's books nowdays, it leaked into pretty much all fantasy.
@LoveYourSmile
I've never played that game. Does it really not have other hair colors?
その目だれの目?
Jun 21, 8:41 AM

Aug 2021
It's a great question because Tolkien's elves weren't just blond.

I think it's like goblins, because the current media only represents them as green, but they're not just green.

Many mysteries still unsolved!

Jun 21, 8:50 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to Lucifrost
@LoveYourSmile
I've never played that game. Does it really not have other hair colors?
@Lucifrost No, it's not that constrained, but it became kind of canone for most campaigns and textual/graphic materials. Wood elves have more Celtic look, for instance, and nothing really prevents the existence of character different from canone. But it's super widespread in dnd to describe elves and drows like that: dnd inspires creativity and diversity, but it gives very solid foundation, which is hard to neglect. And then it just naturally influenced card/tabletop games, comics, video games etc, that's my hypothesis.
I don't know the exact reason, someone just wrote first rulebooks and drew first character cards etc.
Jun 21, 9:06 AM

Jul 2013
Because that is sexy. That is why. Simple as that.
Jun 22, 11:00 AM
May 2012
One of the oldest texts describing elves is the "Poetic Edda" which mentions Ljósálfar (Light-elves) and the Dökkálfar (Dark-elves) written in the 13th century. But oral traditions are much, much older.
Alp is then one of the hallucinations of sleep paralysis, the "demons" and the spirits of sleep paralysis are very numerous and widespread in all the peoples of the world, peoples who did not even have contact with each other so it is a phenomenon or a sleep disorder linked to human nature since the dawn of time. Like maybe shadow men or vampires and other cryptocreatures.
The oldest oral traditions speak of hidden, sometimes invisible peoples who lived in harmony with nature, immersed in it.
However, light comes close to the sun and the sun is probably the most ancient "God" venerated by man precisely because for a primitive civilization the sun is that factor with a greater impact than others in understand its importance in allowing life on earth. Consequently, the night is full of predators and is synonymous with death and danger, with "evil".
People suffering from albinism or rutilism were still considered evil, more often than not because they were anomalous and what man don't know or understand has always frightened him because from an evolutionary point of view being cautious pays off.
However, many deities of the past have elements in common with anomalous, rare genetic conditions. It may be a crazy idea but not so crazy that nordic albino tribes existed because in any case consanguinity was very widespread in ancient times and due to diseases or wars they may have disappeared just as many primate breeds have disappeared.
Jun 22, 1:59 PM

Oct 2022
No, Dark Elves are white haired too!
Jun 24, 10:56 AM

Jan 2023
It seems you didn't watch Elf wo Karu Mono-tachi .
Jun 24, 11:17 AM

Oct 2013
Elves are from European mythology and a lot of Europeans and whities in general are blonde in anime and even Japanese games. Also a lot of Elves are busty and a lot of blondes are also busty in anime. I'm not sure if there's a connection there, but maybe. Would explain why the elf in Goblin Slayer has green hair instead of white or blonde.
Jun 24, 11:49 AM

Jul 2015
Because elves are based on Germanic people.

Jun 24, 11:55 AM

Jul 2013
Why does it matter that they are? Just curious.
Jun 24, 5:02 PM

Jun 2014
I think it's because most Japanese people have dark hair, so white and blond hair make the elves appear more exotic and majestic to Japanese audiences.
Jun 25, 12:41 AM

May 2018
Casval Rem Deikun (aka Char Aznable) and his sister are blond too...coincidence?

More topics from this board

» I asked AI : what will the next kyoani project?

Pinoffin - 5 minutes ago

2 by SimplyBrazen »»
1 second ago

» Does an Anime with Good Fanbase even exist?

Dragevard - 8 hours ago

21 by jhzs0029 »»
6 minutes ago

» sort your favorite characters from most to least favorite number in MAL

Kawaii_Otaku04 - Dec 31, 2021

15 by Loyal_Sheepling »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you wish there were more historical anime?

SimplyBrazen - 42 minutes ago

6 by Serafos »»
8 minutes ago

» What was your 1000th anime?

Shizuna - Jun 25

30 by alshu »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.