Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 27, 5:47 AM

Aug 2012
Hi everyone. Back in January, I started a topic asking which decade was the best. Linked here: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2141930
So far, I've recived pretty insightful views and just wanted to thank everyone who has particpated. :)

Anyhow, on the flip side, I was curious which decade was or is the worst in your opinion? This can be concerned with your personal life, general quality of life, movies, music, economics, and whatnot.

I would've said that either the 1930s or 1940s were the worst overall due to obvious unsavoury reasons. However, from a more personal point of view, I'd say it's the current decade (2020s). First off, we had the pandemic, which led to millions of deaths. I myself lost a total of 57 friends and relatives. Apart from that, it seems the world has become more polarised and economcally stagnant. Quite frankly, as someone who has to stay updated about domestic and international events for a living, the current global environment is just downright depressing.
When it comes to pop culture, the newer movies, shoows, and music come off as dull. Don't get me wrong, we have seen plenty of groundbreaking media, but it feels few and far-between compared to the previous 4 decades.

Anyway, how about you guys?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 27, 5:50 AM

Jan 2009
1940s or before has constant wars even world wars so that
Mar 27, 5:57 AM

Feb 2020
This current decade is easily the worst.
Mar 27, 6:06 AM

Mar 2023
Currently for me it's the 2020s, but maybe the other half of this decade will be great. I guess the worst is a tied between the 1910s and the 1940s. The world was on fire in those times.
Mar 27, 6:11 AM

Mar 2024
A lot of things (before the late 2000s) were creative and interesting, and everything after only feels degraded, woke, and unappealing.
Mar 27, 7:13 AM

Jul 2014
I mean, as bad as things are now, we're not in a world war so I'd have to go ahead and say the 40s.
Take care of yourself

Mar 27, 7:26 AM

Nov 2022
I went with the 2020s since I didn't live through most of the decades listed here so I have no first hand experience with how crappy, or not, the other decades were.
♡☆♡☆♡

Mar 27, 7:33 AM

Mar 2013
As bad as things are now, overall violence in the world has actually dropped including things such as food insecurity and infant mortality if I recall correctly. So worldwide we are not doing all that poorly.
Mar 27, 7:37 AM

Feb 2020
Easy answer would be the 1910s or the 1940s because of the World Wars, i don't think many countries were left out of either one, and my country certain wasn't.

But obviously that's well before my time, so I'm going to say the late 2000s, as that's when my family's life really started deteriorating with whatever was happening in our main home (call it spirits or whatever).
It was very confusing & scary, and the problem took some time to go away. My Dad & middle sibling got the worst of the attention from whatever it was, and it affected them from then onwards, with conventional & nonconventional help both having little effect, but we just were so desperate to help them :/ it was a truly miserable time.

I'm ironically living my best life in our current decade.
LightWorkerMar 27, 8:47 AM
Mar 27, 8:32 AM

Jan 2017
This one has to be the worst so far, but I might be biased.
鬼に逢うては鬼を斬る
仏に逢うては仏を斬る
ツルギの理ここに在り
Mar 27, 9:08 AM

Sep 2016
Personally 2020, otherwise 1940s or 1910s
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Mar 27, 9:28 AM

Mar 2008
Other than the plague and WWII then current decade
Mar 27, 10:12 AM

Jun 2016
As others have said, 2020s are the worst not counting world wars, the Spanish flu and the great depression. Hell, I'd take the 1940s over the 2020s if I could live in some place like Switzerland or Argentina or Mexico or it were 1947 and onward.
Mar 27, 10:16 AM

Jan 2022
2030s, that's when the NWO will finally arrive to take us all down.
Mar 27, 10:37 AM

Dec 2015
I guess 1910s and 1940s as we all know why
Mar 27, 10:42 AM
Jan 2023
The 2020s have been quite something, I was so optimistic going into 2020, but it all turned to hell. To be fair the later half of the 2010s were pretty rough for me, but nothing compared to the 2020s so far. With a bit of luck, things will improve now for the second half of this decade, time to make something of this time so I can look back and remember the later half for good reasons.

I'm so ready for my past to actually stay in the past, it just keeps getting dug up :/

May have just gone on a bit about nonsense, but who cares, it's an interesting question to answer.
Mar 27, 11:04 AM
危ないお兄さん

Nov 2016
Easily 1910s first due to old Trio Huge Empire collapsed (Qing, Ottoman and Russian Empire) which indicated End of Kingdom era since then

Mar 27, 6:42 PM

Aug 2020
1170s. Tough decade to live in... no dubsteps or mr beast

Mar 27, 11:04 PM

Jun 2020
Putting "1940 and Before" is such a cheap trick, ofc it will be worse cause two freaking world wars occurred then at the least. Should have just only included the post WW2 decades from the 50s to 2020s.

"Don't let your memes be dreams."- Ancient Japanese proverb, probably
Mar 28, 9:25 PM
☆RetroRice☆

Oct 2023
1940s and before would’ve been torture to be in because of the wars, but for decades that I was alive in, this decade. We’re not even halfway through and this decade has been a living hell for me and the pain never ends
Gee, it sure is boring around here
Mar 29, 2:58 AM

Dec 2016
I'm virtually an antique and was born in the 80's. If you had asked this question 5 years ago I would have 100% said the 1980's but now the 2020's are truly awful.

Here's the breakdown of each decade I lived so far.

1980's: Poverty was rampant, but everyone else was just as broke as you. It was super dangerous as literally anyone could beat you up, and the Cops wouldn't do anything about it. There was no phones to take pics. I remember getting punched by grown adults just for looking at them. You lived in fear constantly of either getting beat up or on the extreme end getting nuked. We still did nuke drills in school where we hid under desks and air raid sirens would go off. That's why 80's movies were so fun and zany in a attempt to make you forget how crappy life was.

On the plus side you had unparalleled freedom! I loved riding my BMX bike all day. People mostly left kids alone to do what you wanted.

1990's: People started getting money and the future looked way brighter then the 80's. There was also major tech innovations like computers, internet etc. It was a fun decade! The only down side was everything had to be "Hardcore/Extreme". It felt like you were constantly being peer pressured to push things too far. For example it's not enough just go to the rave and dance for a hour or two. You gotta dance all night! It's not enough to ride your skateboard around. You gotta jump those stairs and piss off the security guard into chasing you etc.

2000's: 9-11 really was a huge kill joy. I really got into the indie rock scene at the time which felt incredibly fresh. The internet really started taking off, and you could do things like watch videos which at the time really was mind blowing. Also the internet had 0 restrictions so it really was the wild west so to speak. It was exciting.

2010's: I don't know if it was the age I was but the 2010's feel like a blur to me. As if they almost didn't happen. I will listen to a song that still seems new, and when I realize it's already 10 years old I get kinda shocked.

2020's: So far I think this is the worst decade in history. Covid crashed the whole world in ways I never thought possible. And now it feels like no matter what you believe in you are constantly and relentlessly attacked. I don't know if it's just everything is being recorded now, but it irritates me constantly seeing people go full crazy and entitled. Everything is tough from food prices to rent. And people have lost their ability to do anything about it.
Apr 5, 7:20 PM

Aug 2012
Reply to Technopunk
Putting "1940 and Before" is such a cheap trick, ofc it will be worse cause two freaking world wars occurred then at the least. Should have just only included the post WW2 decades from the 50s to 2020s.
@Technopunk

True. I get what you mean. I initially planned on making it a post-war poll, but decided to keep the option in order to maintain consistency with a previous poll.
Apr 5, 7:22 PM

Aug 2012
Reply to Cbr_Star
I'm virtually an antique and was born in the 80's. If you had asked this question 5 years ago I would have 100% said the 1980's but now the 2020's are truly awful.

Here's the breakdown of each decade I lived so far.

1980's: Poverty was rampant, but everyone else was just as broke as you. It was super dangerous as literally anyone could beat you up, and the Cops wouldn't do anything about it. There was no phones to take pics. I remember getting punched by grown adults just for looking at them. You lived in fear constantly of either getting beat up or on the extreme end getting nuked. We still did nuke drills in school where we hid under desks and air raid sirens would go off. That's why 80's movies were so fun and zany in a attempt to make you forget how crappy life was.

On the plus side you had unparalleled freedom! I loved riding my BMX bike all day. People mostly left kids alone to do what you wanted.

1990's: People started getting money and the future looked way brighter then the 80's. There was also major tech innovations like computers, internet etc. It was a fun decade! The only down side was everything had to be "Hardcore/Extreme". It felt like you were constantly being peer pressured to push things too far. For example it's not enough just go to the rave and dance for a hour or two. You gotta dance all night! It's not enough to ride your skateboard around. You gotta jump those stairs and piss off the security guard into chasing you etc.

2000's: 9-11 really was a huge kill joy. I really got into the indie rock scene at the time which felt incredibly fresh. The internet really started taking off, and you could do things like watch videos which at the time really was mind blowing. Also the internet had 0 restrictions so it really was the wild west so to speak. It was exciting.

2010's: I don't know if it was the age I was but the 2010's feel like a blur to me. As if they almost didn't happen. I will listen to a song that still seems new, and when I realize it's already 10 years old I get kinda shocked.

2020's: So far I think this is the worst decade in history. Covid crashed the whole world in ways I never thought possible. And now it feels like no matter what you believe in you are constantly and relentlessly attacked. I don't know if it's just everything is being recorded now, but it irritates me constantly seeing people go full crazy and entitled. Everything is tough from food prices to rent. And people have lost their ability to do anything about it.
@Cbr_Star
This is really surprising to know. Since most people I know said that they loved the 80s and the 90s. I think it also depends on where you live. Both my parents disliked the 80s due to the bad economy in Asia, while the Eastern Bloc residents would've found these 2 decades to be the hardest.
Apr 5, 7:25 PM

Aug 2012
Reply to whitebeartigtig
The 2020s have been quite something, I was so optimistic going into 2020, but it all turned to hell. To be fair the later half of the 2010s were pretty rough for me, but nothing compared to the 2020s so far. With a bit of luck, things will improve now for the second half of this decade, time to make something of this time so I can look back and remember the later half for good reasons.

I'm so ready for my past to actually stay in the past, it just keeps getting dug up :/

May have just gone on a bit about nonsense, but who cares, it's an interesting question to answer.
@whitebeartigtig

Really wish that the latter half is better. These past 5 years have been nothing but a downhill slope.

And don't worry about it. It's not nonsense in the slightest, and hope things are looking up on your end. :)
Apr 5, 7:25 PM

Sep 2018
In USA 2020s is the worst. Inflation is making our dollar worthless, and food far more expensive. A lot of media is following blackrock.
Apr 5, 7:28 PM

Aug 2012
Reply to rohan121
In USA 2020s is the worst. Inflation is making our dollar worthless, and food far more expensive. A lot of media is following blackrock.
@rohan121

Wait, what about all the recent news of the economic boom? While inflation is sticky, didn't the economic outlook improve?

But yeah, I understand your thoughts on the media. It's sad no action is being taken against Blackrock.
Apr 6, 3:13 AM

Dec 2016
Reply to H-A-M-M-Y
@Cbr_Star
This is really surprising to know. Since most people I know said that they loved the 80s and the 90s. I think it also depends on where you live. Both my parents disliked the 80s due to the bad economy in Asia, while the Eastern Bloc residents would've found these 2 decades to be the hardest.
@H-A-M-M-Y I think where you lived probably would have changed things. I live in Canada, and in the early 1980's there was a huge economic crash in my area. The banks raised mortgage interest rates from 2% to 19%. In my city over 25,000 people lost their homes. My Father being one of them. He also lost his business and his car because he had to declare bankruptcy. So during that time we grew up pretty poor. So the 80's was pretty rough for me.
On the other hand I used to have a class mate and I don't know what his parents did but he had absolutely everything. He had the giant GI Joe aircraft carrier. He had a gas powered remote controlled helicopter and a dirt bike. So if you asked him he would probably say the 80's was amazing. I defiantly feel like the 80's seemed like more fun in the USA.
Apr 6, 4:36 AM

Oct 2013
Ain't no way so many people are considering several years of 2020s as worse than 1940s and decades before it. Weird, unless they point out, as several people have already done in this thread, that they voted for the worst decade according to their personal experience, not history. If I were to pick the most mid decade, according to personal experience, I think 2020s would be my pick as well. We aren't halfway through it, and yet, we could witness Covid pandemic wrecking pretty much everything, economic problems, many new military conflicts starting, global warming messing up with the weather... And we have still 6 years left, huh.

But anyway, to refer to the topic as it is, I say "1940s or before" (before, until the beginning of the 20th century) is the worst period from all those that are listed in the poll. Devastating wars, economic problems far worse than the one from 2008, Spanish flu pandemic, totalitarian regimes, genocides... Although, in the first place, it was unwise to put an option consisting of several decades. Even if they weren't as bloody and grim as 1910s-1940s, it's unfair to compare one decade to several ones.
AdnashApr 6, 5:09 AM
Apr 6, 4:56 AM

Aug 2022
I would say the 1170's BC were the worst decade Humanity lived in.
Apr 6, 10:03 AM

Jul 2013
Every passing decade is getting worse and worse ;p
Apr 6, 10:08 AM

Dec 2011
Anything before 1940s lot's of messed up stuff were happening back then
Apr 7, 10:25 PM
Sep 2022
I have honestly disliked every single decade from the latter 1990s onward and things have only gotten worse since then. Western art, film and music all became progressively more ugly and sordid, resulting in a decline of moral standards amongst the populace. If you don't like the current year then you are going to despise what is next...let me tell you. And it didn't come about naturally. Powerful forces have conspired to bring the entire world to heel. All those "thousand points of light" within that shadowy fraternal network of VIPs working together against the common man to realize their quest for global hegemony and the universal enslavement of all. Those who believe they are doing good by "bringing people together" in the name of "repairing their broken world" are in truth doing the bidding of the ones who set this all up. Forcing different people to live together in the same society through coercion is imperialism par excellence. Wickedness always appeals to the very highest in human nature to achieve its foul purpose. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Sometimes it's better to say no.

Apr 10, 10:06 AM

Aug 2012
Reply to Cbr_Star
@H-A-M-M-Y I think where you lived probably would have changed things. I live in Canada, and in the early 1980's there was a huge economic crash in my area. The banks raised mortgage interest rates from 2% to 19%. In my city over 25,000 people lost their homes. My Father being one of them. He also lost his business and his car because he had to declare bankruptcy. So during that time we grew up pretty poor. So the 80's was pretty rough for me.
On the other hand I used to have a class mate and I don't know what his parents did but he had absolutely everything. He had the giant GI Joe aircraft carrier. He had a gas powered remote controlled helicopter and a dirt bike. So if you asked him he would probably say the 80's was amazing. I defiantly feel like the 80's seemed like more fun in the USA.
@Cbr_Star

I read about that. Was the crisis due to the oil bust or something?
And 25K people?! Didn't they petition the government for support? Also, I#m sorry to hear about your father and your family. I hope you guys are doing better now. :)
Exactly, that's what I've been observing. I found many in the US looking at the 80s rather fondly, and kinda shows in the movies and the music of the time.
Apr 10, 10:09 AM

Aug 2012
Reply to Sciadopitys
I have honestly disliked every single decade from the latter 1990s onward and things have only gotten worse since then. Western art, film and music all became progressively more ugly and sordid, resulting in a decline of moral standards amongst the populace. If you don't like the current year then you are going to despise what is next...let me tell you. And it didn't come about naturally. Powerful forces have conspired to bring the entire world to heel. All those "thousand points of light" within that shadowy fraternal network of VIPs working together against the common man to realize their quest for global hegemony and the universal enslavement of all. Those who believe they are doing good by "bringing people together" in the name of "repairing their broken world" are in truth doing the bidding of the ones who set this all up. Forcing different people to live together in the same society through coercion is imperialism par excellence. Wickedness always appeals to the very highest in human nature to achieve its foul purpose. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Sometimes it's better to say no.

@Sciadopitys

Hmm... I get where you're coming from. Like BlackRock has been pretty darn infamous for pushing their views into the mainstream media. On the other hand, I do think there's a natural element as well. Since most themes and genres have been explored for the most part, it's now very difficult to come up with anything original as time marches on.
Apr 10, 11:15 AM

Jul 2013
Every passing decade is getting worse and worse.
Apr 10, 12:05 PM

Aug 2014
Sciadopitys said:
I have honestly disliked every single decade from the latter 1990s onward and things have only gotten worse since then. Western art, film and music all became progressively more ugly and sordid, resulting in a decline of moral standards amongst the populace.

Some foundational information for you:

Correlation is not causation.

Your subjective opinions are not objective facts.

You do not have moral (nor intellectual) superiority over others because of your taste in media.

Fiction cannot be inherently immoral. Those who believe the contrary should learn to distinguish between fiction and reality. There is a crucial difference between depicting things like murder in a story and advocating or perpetrating them in real life.

What you have presented are the same tired old arguments that have been debunked ad nauseam...in the vein of the erroneous notion that video games cause violence. (If someone plays a game, listens to a song, or whatever, then goes out and attacks people, I assure you the entertainment they consumed didn't make them do it; otherwise everyone else exposed to it would have acted in the same manner.)

When jazz first came out a century ago, people were calling it rebellious noise and the devil's music. You'd think after all this time, people would have moved past such silly hysteria over things they do not like or understand. (Especially when they lack meaningful experience of what they criticize.)

I can't take someone seriously when they bash a genre (of anything), then it turns out they barely spent any time getting to know it in good faith. Willful ignorance at its finest. (Just like the people who say anime sucks, yet never watched a single episode.)

It's not like things of this nature only came into existence in our lifetimes. One could even argue that mainstream media (like popular TV series and movies) has become more family-friendly overall compared to before the 1990s. 1980s western cartoons were more gory and gritty than their 1990s counterparts, for instance.

If someone's genuine attitude is to reject things because they are "ugly and sordid" (a highly subjective descriptor to begin with), I dare say they are not even casually interested in art. Darker art (whether it's paintings, movies, music or what have you) is just as valid (and essential) as the more pleasant variety.

By my reckoning, the very spirit of art is transgressive.

If you don't like the current year then you are going to despise what is next...let me tell you.

I do think things will get worse before they get better.

And it didn't come about naturally.

Are you, by chance, insinuating that the art people produce was created by supernatural evil forces rather than the artists themselves?

Powerful forces have conspired to bring the entire world to heel. All those "thousand points of light" within that shadowy fraternal network of VIPs working together against the common man to realize their quest for global hegemony and the universal enslavement of all. Those who believe they are doing good by "bringing people together" in the name of "repairing their broken world" are in truth doing the bidding of the ones who set this all up.

Now you're getting somewhere. Setting New World Order conspiracies aside, it's well-known that powerful people often work against the best interests of the public.

However, finding common ground and trying to make the world a better place isn't always part of some grand deception. Sometimes it's just regular people doing what they feel is right.

Forcing different people to live together in the same society through coercion is imperialism par excellence.

How are they being forced to live together in the same society? You are free to move elsewhere if you don't like the society you live in.

Wickedness always appeals to the very highest in human nature to achieve its foul purpose. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Sometimes it's better to say no.

I'm inclined to concur with this to an extent, but would make the distinction that wickedness can also appeal to the lowest in human nature. Just think of all the lowlife criminals out there.
SmugSatokoApr 10, 1:00 PM
Apr 10, 8:37 PM
Sep 2022
Looks like somebody is white knighting for bad entertainment.

SmugSatoko said:
Your subjective opinions are not objective facts.

Not on their own, no.

You do not have moral (nor intellectual) superiority over others because of your taste in media.

Maybe not, but I do think it says something about the inner character of the user who happens to enjoy the said TV shows / films. If the media someone consumes is crass and crude it is often ( though perhaps not always ) a clue that these are the types of themes and aesthetics which resonate with their psyche on some visceral level. This is especially true of anything in the drama, romance or comedy genres.

Fiction cannot be inherently immoral.

Then you're saying that if there was an anime where Hitler himself ( or maybe Hideki Tojo ) were written as the misunderstood hero that the audience was meant to sympathize with while completely omitting the most horrific things attributed to them in the conventional narrative of history ( and thus a fictionalized portrayal ), that this would be totally acceptable by your own standards? You were the one who said that fiction cannot possibly be inherently immoral. Quite a provocative claim there.

There is a crucial difference between depicting things like murder in a story and advocating or perpetrating them in real life.

Yes, but the way in which the author chooses to frame the narrative of the events in the story can profoundly alter the intrinsic nature of the plot and the audiences' takeaway of it.

What you have presented are the same tired old arguments that have been debunked ad nauseam...in the vein of the erroneous notion that video games cause violence.

Not really, I actually think that violent games can be therapeutic sometimes. Most violent games also don't send the player on a killing spree of wanton bloodshed either ( I'm sure exceptions exist ).

(If someone plays a game, listens to a song, or whatever, then goes out and attacks people, I assure you the entertainment they consumed didn't make them do it; otherwise everyone else exposed to it would have acted in the same manner.)

Planting thoughts of violence against others into the heads of impressionable young people is not the only way in which art can have a negative influence on society. It can also encourage a whole range of unhealthy, anti-social and self-destructive behaviors as well.

When jazz first came out a century ago, people were calling it rebellious noise and the devil's music. You'd think after all this time, people would have moved past such silly hysteria over things they do not like or understand. (Especially when they lack meaningful experience of what they criticize.)

I actually like most jazz, much better than that slop that people started listening to in the mid-late 90s. I've heard samples of the stuff that much of my generation calls "music" when out in public and I simply didn't like it. Problem?

I can't take someone seriously when they bash a genre (of anything), then it turns out they barely spent any time getting to know it in good faith. Willful ignorance at its finest. (Just like the people who say anime sucks, yet never watched a single episode.)

Well, the reboot of "Beavis and Butt-Head" ( before its syndication on Paramount ) featured a lot of songs from the same genres and it still didn't change my mind about them. MGMT was literally the only band I can remember the characters doing any commentary on that I could even stand to listen to in that season; there were also a handful of others that really didn't make any impression on me at all because they were too nondescript.

The unstated reason that anime and manga has caught on is simply because it is not like modern western TV shows.

It's not like things of this nature only came into existence in our lifetimes. One could even argue that mainstream media (like popular TV series and movies) has become more family-friendly overall compared to before the 1990s.

I beg to differ.

1980s western cartoons were more gory and gritty than their 1990s counterparts, for instance.

Some of them were, some of them weren't. Despite the Conanesque imagery of He-Man, they actually toned down the violence quite a bit compared to the comics. Inhumanoids embraced the exact opposite...and it was awesome and fun for doing so despite being given a short run. In many ways, "Skeleton Warriors" from the 90s could be described as the show that He-Man should have been. If you had payed attention, I never once said that the 90s was all bad.

If someone's genuine attitude is to reject things because they are "ugly and sordid" (a highly subjective descriptor to begin with), I dare say they are not even casually interested in art. Darker art (whether it's paintings, movies, music or what have you) is just as valid (and essential) as the more pleasant variety.

Dude, I grew up watching horror, sci-fi and fantasy films. The Crow remake is a great example of a dud that draws from older source material. I'm not as much offended that they made a reboot of a film starring an actor who died on the set, it more offends me that they made one that doesn't capture the same feel and essence of the original. I also didn't see the need to basically reinvent the wheel when it already exists.

By my reckoning, the very spirit of art is transgressive.

Pushing the envelope just for the sake of 'pushing the envelope' is also not a good thing either though. I'm not arguing in favor of censorship ( that never works anyway ), I just don't like having eyesores being shoved in my face everywhere I look and feeling like an elephant is taking a diarrhea dump in my ear when I go out to places.

Are you, by chance, insinuating that the art people produce was created by supernatural evil forces rather than the artists themselves?

Nothing that mysterious. I won't rule out the possibility that something very strange could be at play. I certainly think that the 1% invested a lot of money into keeping the same trends going longer than they otherwise would have without their helping hand though ( and that was before DEI / BRIDGE ). I don't care to go into great detail about all the reasons why. I think a lot of the blue bloods want to be the Addams Family - they seem to have a clear preference for things that are hideous and depressing, and they never promote any art that I would call beautiful. Again, one of the reasons that I personally was drawn to anime. And if the anime studios or mangakas ever bend the knee to western trends then I will take my entertainment needs elsewhere ( or simply retreat to the past ). You like modern western trends? Good for you....you can have the share that I don't want. More for you.

Now you're getting somewhere. Setting New World Order conspiracies aside, it's well-known that powerful people often work against the best interests of the public.

Well, we agree on something...I guess??

However, finding common ground and trying to make the world a better place isn't always part of some grand deception. Sometimes it's just regular people doing what they feel is right.

Or maybe it's because they enjoy the power they exert over others who simply desire to be left alone. Some would even probably be honest enough to admit that they enjoy the rush they feel of using fear and intimidation to control other people. Everyone from that side of the compass is not doing so out of some noble idealistic dream. Every faction has people in it that see their moral crusade as a mere means to an end and don't care who they hurt on the way. Narcissistic sociopaths and knights templars are everywhere.

How are they being forced to live together in the same society? You are free to move elsewhere if you don't like the society you live in.

The problem with that is....

1) Only the people who are reasonably well off financially have the means of graduating to becoming 'Passport Bros'.

2) The forces spreading this dry rot are making inroads internationally. They believe that every nation must follow their example because they own the truth in their twisted little minds - notice that I use the word "twisted" because their vision for the world is something crazy. Every nation is vulnerable to these kind of people. Indifference is the problem. The public is naive about how dangerous these people really are. And no, their precious orange prince is not going to save them from these types either.
Apr 10, 11:55 PM

Aug 2014
Sciadopitys said:
Looks like somebody is white knighting for bad entertainment.

"Bad" is a subjective value distinction in this context, so I categorically reject this assertion.

Maybe not, but I do think it says something about the inner character of the user who happens to enjoy the said TV shows / films. If the media someone consumes is crass and crude it is often ( though perhaps not always ) a clue that these are the types of themes and aesthetics which resonate with their psyche on some visceral level.

Well, you can tell some things about people in that regard...but not much. Some (like me) enjoy a wide variety of content. Stereotyping is a waste of time.

This is especially true of anything in the drama, romance or comedy genres.

...What? Comedy is incredibly popular. I guess you look down on those with a sense of humor? And what do you have against drama and romance?

Then you're saying that if there was an anime where Hitler himself ( or maybe Hideki Tojo ) were written as the misunderstood hero that the audience was meant to sympathize with while completely omitting the most horrific things attributed to them in the conventional narrative of history ( and thus a fictionalized portrayal ), that this would be totally acceptable by your own standards?

It would be acceptable insofar as my support for freedom of speech and expression. How you feel about such a story on a personal level is up to you. Though the underlying message can certainly be immoral, I don't think there's anything immoral about a fictional story in itself. (Then again, people have varying sets of morals, so that's really just my opinion.)

You were the one who said that fiction cannot possibly be inherently immoral. Quite a provocative claim there.

It's hardly a provocative thing to point out. Specific things within fiction can be immoral (like murder) but that would be missing the point.

Yes, but the way in which the author chooses to frame the narrative of the events in the story can profoundly alter the intrinsic nature of the plot and the audiences' takeaway of it.

So?

Not really, I actually think that violent games can be therapeutic sometimes. Most violent games also don't send the player on a killing spree of wanton bloodshed either ( I'm sure exceptions exist ).

I said in the vein of those types of arguments...that is to say, it contains similar errors in logic.

Planting thoughts of violence against others into the heads of impressionable young people is not the only way in which art can have a negative influence on society. It can also encourage a whole range of unhealthy, anti-social and self-destructive behaviors as well.

This is true...but age ratings exist for a reason. If I had a child, I would never let them watch many of the things I enjoy until they got older.

I actually like most jazz,

I used to play in jazz bands, among many other things.

much better than that slop that people started listening to in the mid-late 90s. I've heard samples of the stuff that much of my generation calls "music" when out in public and I simply didn't like it. Problem?

No problem...unless you want fans of any given genre to take you seriously.

Well, the reboot of "Beavis and Butt-Head" ( before its syndication on Paramount ) featured a lot of songs from the same genres and it still didn't change my mind about them. MGMT was literally the only band I can remember the characters doing any commentary on that I could even stand to listen to in that season; there were also a handful of others that really didn't make any impression on me at all because they were too nondescript.

You did the very thing I described: barely spending any time getting to know a music genre, only briefly listening to random material you happened to come across in public or while watching a TV series.

By the way, rock and metal have been around far longer than the '90s, and they can range from soft and relaxing to brutal headbanging type of stuff. From what I recall, the music played on Beavis And Butt-Head was pretty generic; not representative of what rock and metal are capable of at all. But I understand that it's not your thing regardless.

To really get to know a genre of music, you have to spend at least a few months listening to all sorts of subgenres, and from various time periods. Plus there are many genres you would not be likely to even hear in public.

I'll tell you what. Since you're into synthwave, here's an album I bought recently that combines synthwave with '80s-style vocals and guitar solos.

https://newretrowave.bandcamp.com/album/axiom

The unstated reason that anime and manga has caught on is simply because it is not like modern western TV shows.

I beg to differ.

It's hardly convincing when you merely disagree or suggest something is better, but neglect to explain.

Some of them were, some of them weren't.

I mainly meant the popular ones. It was rare for the most popular '90s cartoons to be dark and gory. Todd McFarlane's Spawn is a notable exception that is darker than most anime, though it wasn't so popular.

Despite the Conanesque imagery of He-Man, they actually toned down the violence quite a bit compared to the comics.

That's standard fare, for better or worse. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was also toned down.

Inhumanoids embraced the exact opposite...and it was awesome and fun for doing so despite being given a short run. In many ways, "Skeleton Warriors" from the 90s could be described as the show that He-Man should have been.

I'll have to check those series out sometime.

If you had payed attention, I never once said that the 90s was all bad.

If you had paid attention, I never once said you said the '90s was all bad.

Dude, I grew up watching horror, sci-fi and fantasy films.

You may notice I used the words if and someone. (Not necessarily you.)

The Crow remake is a great example of a dud that draws from older source material. I'm not as much offended that they made a reboot of a film starring an actor who died on the set, it more offends me that they made one that doesn't capture the same feel and essence of the original. I also didn't see the need to basically reinvent the wheel when it already exists.

That's another all-too-common phenomenon: inferior remakes and the like. There are some that are better than the original, but that's relatively rare.

Pushing the envelope just for the sake of 'pushing the envelope' is also not a good thing either though.

What I'm getting at is that art is about expressing strong emotions and ideas, often in a chaotic way that doesn't adhere to norms.

I'm not arguing in favor of censorship ( that never works anyway ), I just don't like having eyesores being shoved in my face everywhere I look

What "eyesores" do you see everywhere you look?

and feeling like an elephant is taking a diarrhea dump in my ear when I go out to places.

This was an amusing analogy. (Even more so if the stuff you hear in public is relatively tame.)

Nothing that mysterious. I won't rule out the possibility that something very strange could be at play. I certainly think that the 1% invested a lot of money into keeping the same trends going longer than they otherwise would have without their helping hand though ( and that was before DEI / BRIDGE ). I don't care to go into great detail about all the reasons why. I think a lot of the blue bloods want to be the Addams Family - they seem to have a clear preference for things that are hideous and depressing, and they never promote any art that I would call beautiful. Again, one of the reasons that I personally was drawn to anime. And if the anime studios or mangakas ever bend the knee to western trends then I will take my entertainment needs elsewhere ( or simply retreat to the past ).

Fair enough. But lots of anime are "hideous and depressing" too. When it comes to animation, anime is a lot darker on average than mainstream western animated movies.

You like modern western trends? Good for you....you can have the share that I don't want. More for you.

I'm into various things...but I certainly don't automatically like anything produced in the west.

Or maybe it's because they enjoy the power they exert over others who simply desire to be left alone. Some would even probably be honest enough to admit that they enjoy the rush they feel of using fear and intimidation to control other people. Everyone from that side of the compass is not doing so out of some noble idealistic dream. Every faction has people in it that see their moral crusade as a mere means to an end and don't care who they hurt on the way. Narcissistic sociopaths and knights templars are everywhere.

As you said, bad eggs are everywhere...but there are plenty of good people.

The problem with that is....

1) Only the people who are reasonably well off financially have the means of graduating to becoming 'Passport Bros'.

2) The forces spreading this dry rot are making inroads internationally. They believe that every nation must follow their example because they own the truth in their twisted little minds - notice that I use the word "twisted" because their vision for the world is something crazy. Every nation is vulnerable to these kind of people. Indifference is the problem. The public is naive about how dangerous these people really are. And no, their precious orange prince is not going to save them from these types either.

It doesn't cost all that much to travel to another country, they can be cheaper to live in, and there are still many that don't bend to the "woke forces" or whatever you want to call them.
Apr 11, 6:36 AM

Jul 2013
This decade is worse than the prior decade. And next decade (if collapse of industrial civilization and near term human extinction still hasn't arrived by the 2030s), will undoubtly be even WORSE than the 2020s.
Apr 11, 11:46 PM
Sep 2022
@SmugSatoko Really? If you know what the hubbub is about, you know. You're either baiting ( the most likely ) or you simply do not see beyond the veil of lies. Either way, I do not owe a full explanation to some online rando whom I do not have any reason to trust; not that I would have reason to trust any stranger on the web anyway ( even those on my friends list ), but something seems especially off about you. This feels like an interrogation. You ask a lot of questions and you hardly have anything written on your profile about yourself ( besides anime pictures ). Something smells not quite right. You're gonna have to try harder. You are either very out of touch or being very disingenuous. And please do not write me a DM. I'm probably not answering. Questions are closed.
SciadopitysApr 13, 7:35 PM
Apr 12, 5:16 AM

Aug 2014
Sciadopitys said:
Really? If you know, you know. You're either baiting ( the most likely ) or you simply do not see beyond the veil of lies. Either way, I do not owe a full explanation to some online rando whom I do not have any reason to trust; not that I would have reason to trust any stranger on the web anyway ( even those on my friends list ), but something seems especially off about you. This feels like an interrogation. You ask a lot of questions and you hardly have anything written on your profile about yourself ( besides anime pictures ). Something smells not quite right. You're gonna have to try harder. You are either very out of touch or being very disingenuous. And please do not write me a DM. I'm probably not answering. Questions are closed.

I simply replied to what you said. I guess you can't handle it when others don't blindly accept everything you say. Don't tell me to try harder when you can't even reply properly or back up your claims.

I could just as well say you have no idea what you're talking about, but I had the decency to ask about your own opinions and experiences.

As for irrelevant info about me, I've been on this site for many years and made thousands of public forum posts. Sorry I don't have an autobiography for you to conveniently assess.
SmugSatokoApr 12, 5:32 AM
Apr 12, 8:29 PM
Sep 2022
Reply to SmugSatoko
Sciadopitys said:
Really? If you know, you know. You're either baiting ( the most likely ) or you simply do not see beyond the veil of lies. Either way, I do not owe a full explanation to some online rando whom I do not have any reason to trust; not that I would have reason to trust any stranger on the web anyway ( even those on my friends list ), but something seems especially off about you. This feels like an interrogation. You ask a lot of questions and you hardly have anything written on your profile about yourself ( besides anime pictures ). Something smells not quite right. You're gonna have to try harder. You are either very out of touch or being very disingenuous. And please do not write me a DM. I'm probably not answering. Questions are closed.

I simply replied to what you said. I guess you can't handle it when others don't blindly accept everything you say. Don't tell me to try harder when you can't even reply properly or back up your claims.

I could just as well say you have no idea what you're talking about, but I had the decency to ask about your own opinions and experiences.

As for irrelevant info about me, I've been on this site for many years and made thousands of public forum posts. Sorry I don't have an autobiography for you to conveniently assess.
@SmugSatoko You have me figured out smuggy. Surely that must be the reason.

So your own supposed hobbies and interests are extraneous and 'irrelevant' now? Listen at this person! How unreasonable of me to expect some reciprocity from another user. Mea culpa. Now go away.
Apr 13, 6:37 AM

Aug 2014
Sciadopitys said:
So your own supposed hobbies and interests are extraneous and 'irrelevant' now? Listen at this person! How unreasonable of me to expect some reciprocity from another user. Mea culpa. Now go away.

We were discussing objective reality. My personal interests are indeed irrelevant there. (And your attempt to make them relevant to somehow discredit me is nothing more than an ad hominem attack...a logical fallacy people resort to when they lack a valid argument.) As for the subjective aspects, those are just opinions and preferences that don't involve right or wrong to begin with.

But for the record, I have thousands of times more experience when it comes to all sorts of music. (Decades spent listening to a wide variety of genres as well as years performing some in concerts...over $50K invested in my private music collection...and I collectively owned over a quarter million dollars worth of audio equipment.) I guarantee you are only embarrassing yourself when you bash things you know next to nothing about.

"Listen at"? I hope English is not your native language.

You are the one avoiding reciprocity by refusing to reply to anything I said!

You failed to substantiate your claims. I shouldn't have expected more from someone so credulous as to integrate me into his paranoid conspiracy theories.
SmugSatokoApr 13, 7:35 AM
Apr 13, 11:02 AM

Jul 2013
>implying that technology is "fixing" all of the world's problems. (It is not fixing anything)

>implying that collapse of industrial civilization (CoIC) and near term human extinction (NTHE) won't actually happen one day. (It is guranateed to happen, probably in the relatively near future)

>implying that the human species does not totally deserve NTHE. (It totally does)

CoIC and NTHE is definitely coming lol. There is NOTHING that can stop it from happening. Literally nothing can save humanity at this point. I predict there won't be a single human left on Earth by 2030 to 2080. NTHE might, in fact, happen in the earlier time frame i.e the 2030s and 2040s.

It is all pointless in the grand scheme of things. Why take our civilization seriously when there literally won't be anymore humans on this planet in the relatively near future?

The following scientific article proves my case for NTHE...

https://web.archive.org/web/20220524111716/https://dieoff.com/page137.htm

The following paragraph is the most profound and truthful statement ever uttered by mankind....

"""Or it may prove impossible for even a few survivors to subsist on the meager resources left in civilization's wake. The children of the highly technological society into which more and more of the world's peoples are being drawn will not know how to support themselves by hunting and gathering or by simple agriculture. In addition, the wealth of wild animals that once sustained hunting societies will be gone, and topsoil that has been spoiled by tractors will yield poorly to the hoe. A species that has come to depend on complex technologies to mediate its relationship with the environment may not long survive their loss."""

That is my redpill statement for you.
Apr 13, 12:22 PM

Feb 2018
Reply to Cbr_Star
@Cbr_Star

Born in 1982, i actually had it pretty good as a young boy growing up in the 80's. Parents fairly Spoiled me, even.

into my teen's in the 90's, things were a bit harsher as the life my folks were building in the 80's fell apart.

Even Then; my folks actually somehow manage to fairly spoil both me AND my kid sister (Born 1993)
all while they were spending the entirety of the 1990's attempting to rebuild what they had lost...
Apr 13, 12:31 PM

Jul 2013
I see that most people in this thread are hopium addicts. Sure, just pretend that NTHE won't happen. That will make it go away (no it will not).
Apr 13, 7:30 PM
Sep 2022
SmugSatoko said:
We were discussing objective reality.

You failed to substantiate your claims. I shouldn't have expected more from someone so credulous as to integrate me into his paranoid conspiracy theories.

That's right smuggo. You are so sharp! The World Economic Forum is just a make-believe boogeyman created for fear mongering, and the attendees ( also imaginary ) have totally never insisted that "making the world a better place" also happens to be what they are there to do. There's also no such thing as a Bilderberg Group, a Council on Foreign Relations, a Trilateral Commission or a Club of Rome either. It's all a hoax. Move along people, nothing to see here.

Apr 13, 7:40 PM

Jul 2023
I think every decade is great and clearly most others do to, otherwise why bother making more.
Apr 13, 7:45 PM

Aug 2014
Sciadopitys said:
That's right smuggo. You are so sharp! The World Economic Forum is just a make-believe boogeyman created for fear mongering, and the attendees ( also imaginary ) have totally never insisted that "making the world a better place" also happens to be what they are there to do. There's also no such thing as a Bilderberg Group, a Council on Foreign Relations, a Trilateral Commission or a Club of Rome either. It's all a hoax. Move along people, nothing to see here.

Of course those groups exist, but New World Order conspiracy theories have been thoroughly debunked.
Apr 13, 7:58 PM
Sep 2022
Reply to SmugSatoko
Sciadopitys said:

Of course those groups exist, but New World Order conspiracy theories have been thoroughly debunked.
@SmugSatoko Not like any of those crackpot 'conspiracy theories' are literally in their own mission statements and manifestos or anything like that.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - Apr 24

20 by deg »»
44 minutes ago

» Who is the most perverted person you irl ?

Thy-Veseveia - 11 hours ago

9 by tsukareru »»
44 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your average step count? [Poll] Do you think that you should take more steps?

Miscanthus - 5 hours ago

9 by Otakupervert890 »»
1 hour ago

» What do you need cash for in your everyday life?

MeanMrMusician - Apr 21

39 by ProGoddess »»
2 hours ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - Apr 19

25 by KitsuFrost »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.