Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 20, 1:01 PM

May 2023
How many times have you been banned on MAL?

Bonus question: do you think bans should be publicly displayed? Every other forum I've been a part of publicly displays that a user is banned, but MAL doesn't for whatever reason.
Mar 20, 1:07 PM

Sep 2016
Just once, some mod thought my topic is troll bait and banned me.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Mar 20, 1:15 PM

Mar 2008
Five times. One time I got banned for defending myself against someone but was able to be unbanned rightaway. All the others are more recent from the automaticsystem blacklist that originally was meant for spambots that i tripped with links and wildcards they included while last one was just automatically banned just asking someone about a thread of theirs that had been deleted and i didnt link anything or use any special terms, took days to get unbanned via that new form system. Had the IRC page been still around i could have been unbanned within hours but no they just had to "modernize" MAL making it non functional.
traedMar 20, 3:22 PM
Mar 20, 1:18 PM

Sep 2018
I think displaying ban count is a bad idea even though I never got banned. It fuels the broken windows effect.
Mar 20, 1:30 PM

May 2013
3 times.

First was telling a spambot to kill himself even though it was a bot and that was the joke.

Second was me making a thread they thought was troll bait about incels.

Third was because I logged in from a different IP when I was dogsitting for my family and that was resolved pretty quickly.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Mar 20, 3:23 PM

Mar 2008
_Nette_ said:
Third was because I logged in from a different IP when I was dogsitting for my family and that was resolved pretty quickly.

Ooooh now you know what they've been up to :p

Though not really lol IPs change around. Ive been banned on sites so many times for getting the wrong IP.
Mar 20, 3:35 PM
☆RetroRice☆

Oct 2023
Bruh i got a warning on some random app one time (forgot the app) and had a heart attack, i do everything in my power to not get banned lol
Gee, it sure is boring around here
Mar 21, 12:06 AM

Jan 2009
two times

first when i said something about white supremacists in a joking manner that i forgot now

second was about posting keto diet link they think im a spambot
Mar 21, 1:03 AM

Dec 2015
Surprise Surprise:

Zero

I haven't been banned for once, I haven't been warned or anykind of similar action for once.

The only thing which happened is back in around 2018 I didn't know the review system properly [I thought I could update my review from 3rd episode till the end by every episode release] and my review got deleted with information from a mod which also explained me that it doesn't work like that.
Mar 21, 4:56 AM

Jan 2023
Zero.
But one is now grown up and the forums are something so old that it is rare for one to fall into that.
Mar 21, 5:16 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
I guess once for using a VPN (it's for an ad blocking app). Maybe more like a warning considering I could still the site, but I didn't want to risk getting locked out of my account or something.
Mar 21, 5:33 AM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
Reply to traed
Five times. One time I got banned for defending myself against someone but was able to be unbanned rightaway. All the others are more recent from the automaticsystem blacklist that originally was meant for spambots that i tripped with links and wildcards they included while last one was just automatically banned just asking someone about a thread of theirs that had been deleted and i didnt link anything or use any special terms, took days to get unbanned via that new form system. Had the IRC page been still around i could have been unbanned within hours but no they just had to "modernize" MAL making it non functional.
@traed Wildcards... It's the networking thing?! How did you use that?

Mar 21, 6:16 AM

May 2023
rohan121 said:
I think displaying ban count is a bad idea even though I never got banned. It fuels the broken windows effect.

It's not a ban count that I had in mind, but some sort of indicator that a user is currently banned.

Something like this:

Mar 21, 6:17 AM

Mar 2023
Never been banned. I have only gotten a warning.
Mar 21, 6:18 AM

Mar 2012
I was banned once for 4 days since I posted a comment which implied that Christians deserve to die.
Mar 21, 6:20 AM

Jul 2016
I think I've been banned more than 10 times.
Mar 21, 9:25 AM

Mar 2020
What do y'all mean by banned? The account gets banned or a message/post?
💀😭😂🙏
Mar 21, 3:34 PM

Jul 2016
Reply to deg
two times

first when i said something about white supremacists in a joking manner that i forgot now

second was about posting keto diet link they think im a spambot
Banned a fair or modest amount of times for common sense.
@deg you probably deserved that ban.
Mar 21, 3:41 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to RuneRem
Banned a fair or modest amount of times for common sense.
@deg you probably deserved that ban.
@RuneRem nope the white supremacist comment banned was reverse after i talk to the mods on IRC they say it was a ban error but forgot the details now since its been so long so i was not even banned for a whole day during it

meanwhile you deserve a permanent ban for a long time now for being a white supremacist and nationalist
Mar 21, 4:06 PM

Aug 2021
How many times have you been banned on MAL?

Once for a couple days
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 21, 5:17 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to EmiliaHoarfrost
@traed Wildcards... It's the networking thing?! How did you use that?
@EmiliaHoarfrost
I mean they use things they think will appear in the URL of a spambot without it being tied to a specific URL.
Mar 21, 8:07 PM

Jun 2016
Several, mostly for trolling/shitposting. One of my favorite things to do back in the old days of 2016-2019 was post the N-word in big, bold rainbow colors.

(Don't worry jannies, I only use this site as a backlog now. CE is archived and I've decided that I'm sick of political discourse and other related chaos anyway, it's only anime discussion going forward.)
Mar 21, 9:53 PM

Oct 2010
The count is still at zero. I also miss most of the drama of the site on a regular basis, so it's always sort of a shock to me to find out that people I recognize have been banned several times.
Mar 22, 12:03 AM

Oct 2022
None, the mods love me.

I don't really care if bans are publicly displayed or not but why fix something that isn't broken?
When a pancake lover does something: "Outrageous vicious crime"

When a waffle lover does something: "That means it is not illegal"

Quotes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld_HIM667Do&t=2822s
Mar 22, 1:06 AM

Apr 2023
None, I've been a good noodle thus far
Mar 22, 2:12 AM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
Reply to traed
@EmiliaHoarfrost
I mean they use things they think will appear in the URL of a spambot without it being tied to a specific URL.
@traed Oh, I knew about wildcards as used in some networking protocols, but it's also used in URLs... The more you learn 0.0

Mar 22, 2:36 AM

Mar 2008
Reply to EmiliaHoarfrost
@traed Oh, I knew about wildcards as used in some networking protocols, but it's also used in URLs... The more you learn 0.0
@EmiliaHoarfrost
It doesn't even have to be in a URL because it doesnt check for that.
Mar 22, 4:23 AM

Jul 2021
Once, turns out if you type the wrong combination of words regardless of context you can get auto banned immediately.
Mar 22, 11:14 AM
Jan 2023
Never, and if I do in the future it will be, I misinterpreted the forum rules or some accident.
This place is my home, and I want to stay here, so getting banned is off the table.
Mar 22, 11:30 AM

Oct 2018
Never.

Another, smaller, forum I frequent uses a strikethrough system for banned users.

Example of how it looks:
@Fleeting_Dream
Summertime days, passing gently
Sunlight, leading to an encounter;
Dreams that don't want to end
Continue onwards toward the next day
While she waits in the air.
Mar 22, 12:59 PM

Jul 2014
Nope. Never. I was the one who did the banning.
Take care of yourself

Mar 22, 9:55 PM

Oct 2013
None. I try to walk a fine line between being outspoken, but not outright saying or doing anything worthy of a ban.
Mar 23, 12:31 AM

Jun 2020
Only once, and its most likely due to automated detection algorithms incorrectly thinking my image or yt video link was a threat. My internet provider also occasionally changes my IP address so that might also have triggered it if someone else got banned on that IP address. Thankfully mods and admins retracted that ban. Was scary being instabanned with no warning and with no fault by an AI program, and looking at experiences from other users, I am not the first one to have this issue on MAL.

JaniSIr said:
Once, turns out if you type the wrong combination of words regardless of context you can get auto banned immediately.

Yep, pretty much had this problem as well. Its why I now have an Anilist account as a backup. It was such a paint getting all my MAL lists indirectly just so I can keep track of anime until MAL support resolved the issue.
TechnopunkMar 23, 12:39 AM

"Don't let your memes be dreams."- Ancient Japanese proverb, probably
Mar 23, 11:17 PM

Mar 2021
Many times for "being rude" on forums, hell I got perma banned once.
I was caught up in a purge to ban bots from mal, then I had to go to the discord to contact someone (ig it was kineta) to unban me
Mar 24, 3:50 AM

Jun 2017
Zero, what do you guys post. Actually I don't know what's a bannable offense tbh.
Mar 24, 5:58 AM

Feb 2020
0 times
Although I did have some posts/pictures and com-to-com messages deleted without any warnings for whatever reason.
Mar 24, 7:46 AM

Dec 2011
Zero and I really hope it stays that way.
Mar 24, 12:57 PM

Sep 2019
I believe once for breaking the character limit, which is like the dumbest reason for getting a ban 💀
Mar 24, 1:00 PM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
5-6 times, each time had to DM an admin on Discord to unban me. Lots of insta ban phrases exist in reported content and I usually have to DM people their removed content.
Mar 26, 5:40 AM
Apr 2020
Reply to ACasualViewer
5-6 times, each time had to DM an admin on Discord to unban me. Lots of insta ban phrases exist in reported content and I usually have to DM people their removed content.
@ACasualViewer I can totally see why you psychopathic bum. You deserved it and unqualified for being a mod
Mar 26, 12:57 PM

Jul 2013
once for telling someone to kill themself, in my traditional shitposter way (totally worth it, would do it again)
I . A M . D E A D !  C O N T I N U E ?

INSERT COIN

Mar 26, 1:31 PM

Aug 2021
i think i only been banned once and it was indefinite, and it was for posting a link that isnt allowed on my profile, so i was able to contact mods and get unbanned but it took weeks to get it over with but i managed to eventually

i think itd be funny af if bans were visible its like its gotta be like the vac ban a stain on ur profile forever
...tho i feel like some ppl would actually view those bans as a badge of honor or something
Mar 26, 9:54 PM

Dec 2016
Many times. One perma for posting a MarketWatch article lol. I was like, eh, fuck it. Then some mod emailed me like six months later, like why didn't you contact us? True story.

In fact, I even got a warning for repping helldivers before it was even cool v_v

Lol. 1,472 views. How???
https://imgur.com/eTZKuvN
SoverignMar 26, 10:06 PM
Mar 29, 8:53 AM

May 2022
0 times, I haven't done anything that bad on this site.
Mar 29, 12:28 PM

Jul 2013
Not even once, as my answer to the OP. I hope this reply was satisifactory.

More topics from this board

» The level of NoLifer / NEET / Hiki you are?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

31 by cody »»
27 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

67 by 3miL »»
1 hour ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - Apr 19

30 by rohan121 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » What is your average step count? [Poll] Do you think that you should take more steps?

Miscanthus - 12 hours ago

16 by traed »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - Apr 24

23 by cody »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.