Forum Settings
Forums

Using AI to continue an author's legacy. Are you for or against?

New
using AI to create original anime based on a deceased author's past work. Yay or nay?
Mar 8, 11:54 AM

Nov 2011
Do you agree with companies using AI to create an original work, including a new story and characters, based on a deceased author's past works as a way of continuing their legacy? So far I only heard of companies using AI to create a new work based on Tezuka's.

How do you feel about this? If popular manga authors such as Eiichiro Oda (One Piece) and Masashi Kishimoto (Naruto) passes away, would you want anime companies to use AI to create new series based on their existing work? Or do you think it's disrespectful to the original authors? Once the current season of Dragon Ball ends, would you want to see a new season made using AI?
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Mar 8, 11:56 AM

Oct 2018
Bro are you kidding me? Please, tell me that you are.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Mar 8, 12:00 PM

Nov 2011
Reply to Phosphophyllita
Bro are you kidding me? Please, tell me that you are.
@Phosphophyllita AI anime based on Tezuka is real. There was also a short documentary from NHK. welcome to the dystopian future.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Mar 8, 12:03 PM

Dec 2015
Let authors and their works rest. Don't indulge in this digital necromancy to tarnish their legacy.
Mar 8, 12:05 PM

Oct 2010
fanfics are a thing for this exact reason, AI is useless. We already have AoT no Requiem which is a very good fanfic, no way AI can create a work of art
Mar 8, 12:19 PM

Oct 2017
If someone tried to grift off my work posthumously with a soulless AI continuation cash grab, I'd haunt them from beyond the grave and I bet many creatives would agree on this.
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Mar 8, 12:24 PM

Feb 2020
If it manages to do something good, but I doubt that.
Mar 8, 12:38 PM

Jun 2016
My take on AI has been fairly balanced but I think that's going too far.
AI is great at mimicking Bouguereau, probably better than any other artist but I'd still find it disrespectful if someone made commercialized AI generated works and claimed that it "continued his legacy". Just making the works is fine imo. It's the other stuff I have issues with.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Mar 8, 12:49 PM

May 2021
DreamingBeats said:
Do you agree with companies using AI to create an original work, including a new story and characters, based on a deceased author's past works as a way of continuing their legacy? So far I only heard of companies using AI to create a new work based on Tezuka's

How do you feel about this? If popular manga authors such as Eiichiro Oda (One Piece) and Masashi Kishimoto (Naruto) passes away, would you want anime companies to use AI to create new series based on their existing work? Or do you think it's disrespectful to the original authors? Once the current season of Dragon Ball ends, would you want to see a new season made using AI?

Abso-fucking-lutely NOT!!!

If you want to honour an author's legacy, use your own damn imagination to create new stories for those characters!

Other than "continuing a legacy", this is pure and utter disrespect to the OG creators!!
What debating with DigiCat is like according to APolygons2
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
Mar 8, 12:55 PM

Mar 2023
Corporations are getting greedier every single day i see.
Mar 8, 1:31 PM

Dec 2021
I may be more or less a pro-AI stan, but hell nah. Let it be a tool for streamlining things like recommendations, translation, upscaling, and other things, but even I have my limits with what's okay.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Mar 8, 1:34 PM

Dec 2022
No don't disrespect the dead by tarnishing their work. They would cry in their grave seeing the work they so nurtured and worked on with care getting handled by soulless metal thingies pushing out algorithmized chapters.

-Tohka is better than Kurumi. You can't change my mind. 

Mar 8, 1:46 PM

Sep 2016
Only under very strict circumstances would I be inclined to think it might be ok.

1. It would require official permission being given by the copyright holder (presumably the Author's estate/family).
1. It would have to be a continuation of an ongoing series at the time of the author's death.
2. It would only be to reach an acceptable 1-volume conclusion to the unfinished story, not drag it out for several volumes.
3. A majority (60%+) of the sales income would go to the Author's estate/family (copyright holder).
4. It should be made clear to the public that it is something AI generated based off the existing work, and not officially considered canon.

Beyond this, and I'd say NO, as it'd likely be someone's attempt to turn a potentially huge profit from someone else's work.
You're never too old to watch anime.
If I ever stop watching anime, check my pulse I'm likely dead.

I wake up with coffee & anime, I go to sleep with coffee & anime.

Sorry if my sarcasm is bad, it's not my first language.

Mar 8, 2:03 PM

Jan 2009
imitation is the highest form of flattery so why not but its better be a good darn imitation though
Mar 8, 2:27 PM

Oct 2013
Two words; Fuck no. I don't care how much people want a continuation of a story/series, but that abso-fucking-lutely should not be done. I'm sorry, but I'd personally rather that story end with the creator than it being completely bastardized like that, with ZERO human emotion behind it. Ideally, the only ones who should continue something are people who were close to and/or were very knowledgeable about the original creators writing style. NO ONE should ever be ok with this. Period. This is so many levels higher of fucked up than it just being some executive forcing changes. That's not "continuing their legacy", that's giving it a huge middle finger while taking a massive corporate dump on it.
FanofActionMar 8, 2:34 PM
Mar 8, 3:14 PM

Feb 2024
It's a big fat "it depends" for me. If the author gave general consent to his/her intellectual property being posthumously used by other people, then I have no problem with it. Otherwise it's in bad taste IMO.
Mar 8, 3:24 PM

Jul 2022
I don't even like it when other humans try to continue a creator's work, so why would I want a machine built by other humans to do it?
Mar 8, 3:32 PM

Dec 2022
It is disrespectful enough to use AI to imitate works of living authors. But doing it for works of dead authors who can no longer call you out on your shit is just vile.
Mar 8, 3:55 PM

Feb 2023
I would only support it if the author itself made the AI, or was at least heavily involved in creating it and giving it personality.
Mar 8, 4:08 PM

Nov 2019
Have you listened to the latest Beatles' Now and Then? What a shitty piece of music.

And does it resemble The Beatles? No
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Mar 8, 4:25 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014

That honestly sounds like the start of Terminator age, which is kinda scary.

also story writing and art designing still needs real human to be good, if they want to use AI I hope they use it just to help a little bit and not doing like 80% of the works.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Mar 8, 5:37 PM
Oct 2019
I'm very against it. Especially if the author in question was explicitly anti-automation in any way. At that point, it's really just disrespectful to the author and their legacy, as you're doing something that you know they wouldn't have wanted, but you think it's "ok" because they're dead, and can't express their opposition to it anymore . If someone needs to continue their story and their legacy, let it be another human artist.
Mar 8, 5:42 PM

Mar 2008
Of course it's fine if the creator themselves had a chance to say to do that after they die but when you don't get to ask it's more complicated but I doubt it would be quality work it's just a more grifter version of a reboot.
Mar 8, 6:31 PM

Aug 2018
I must say, thats a truly repellent idea
Mar 8, 7:29 PM

Jun 2017
Some suggestions that may lead to better results:

- Frankeinsteining the author's brain.
- Getting 1000 monkeys to draw random stuff for 1000 years and then choosing the best.
- Finding who the author reincarnated as.
- Waiting until the Cycles of Time are fulfilled and it all begins again.

Mar 8, 7:32 PM

Dec 2021
I'm sure it would work great for some authors. Would anyone really notice if Detective Conan were AI generated?
Mar 8, 7:39 PM
Jan 2017
disrespectful is an understatment! it should be considered a crime. also its just downright unethical.
Mar 8, 7:40 PM

Nov 2023
Just leave the authors alone, Their work is their work. Corporatizing it in the laziest way possible is completely disrespectful
Mar 8, 7:40 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to DreamingBeats
@Phosphophyllita AI anime based on Tezuka is real. There was also a short documentary from NHK. welcome to the dystopian future.
@DreamingBeats
Better anime gets made by living people such as Makoto Tezuka.
その目だれの目?
Mar 8, 7:43 PM

Jul 2023
I'm fond of the Terry Pratchet philosophy of addressing unfinished works post-mortem: assemble the remnants and destroy them, preventing further use or publication. It seems the most secure method of safeguarding your work from defilement after your untimely passing.
Mar 8, 8:29 PM

Jul 2021
so that studios can milk the content even after the author is dead?

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Mar 8, 8:34 PM
May 2012
These fears and aversions are an ego defense mechanism.
Humans are a bit blind and presumptuous from this point of view, they too are algorithms that copy algorithms from the beginning to the end of their existence and as such they can be copied in turn but they simply don't yet have the technology to do so with complete accuracy.
There will come a day when it will be possible to create copies of a human brain and with the copy of the brain also the copy of the identity and the ego effectively making it not something unique and unreplicable, it will be possible to make these algorithms immortal and immutable even if there will be no use for them. “Thinking” is simply the ability to calculate attributed to the human brain, it's not that if the calculation is done by a life form it's special the capacity of the human mind is in fact limited by biological hardware. Men attribute different values to results which, although they are identical, are achieved through different procedures and in this sense they attribute a value to the procedure itself, from a limited point of view makes sense, from another it doesn't.
In some way it is already happening in some movies, although not the mind but the physical appearance of a deceased actor is digitally recreated.
Human cloning, genetic engineering, mind uploading, raise ethical problems which at the base hide fears whispered by the instinct of self-preservation, fear of losing one's identity and nature, an example of this is the widespread belief of the soul.
I heard there is Fable A.I. tech that is able to create decent South Park episodes with very little human intervention and that is just the beginning of a new form of entertainment content creating technology.
HikinekomoriMar 8, 8:37 PM
Mar 8, 10:36 PM

Oct 2014
Having their editors continue it as long as they consent to it before they pass is one thing, but letting a computer shit out whatever it thinks might happen next in a story is going too far.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Your favourite romance ( 1 2 )

Jackson_rajkumar - 10 hours ago

56 by ElmoBoredAsf »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » Do you think 3-episode reviews are valid?

GoatPieceLuffy - Yesterday

43 by Akuya »»
8 minutes ago

» Favorite anime vs best anime

Kenzolo-folk - 52 minutes ago

7 by APolygons2 »»
8 minutes ago

» Characters you like but everyone else hates. ( 1 2 )

Spunkert - May 17, 2023

65 by mohamedo_abuduru »»
8 minutes ago

» Why do people like consuming media watching specifically opposite sex get together? ( 1 2 )

Oshieteoshiete4 - Yesterday

75 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.