Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 7, 10:01 AM

Oct 2017
Well the theories were correct. New fusion form looked cool. What's Lulu upto?
Mar 7, 10:16 AM
Sep 2015
Here's come the second twist I had been demand for so long. But to be fair, many people already point out about this since the first episode. I just didn't believe it, I don't think it's impossible but it's just too cringey or too cliche or "only weekend morning anime can have this kind of plot", but guess what, it is really the essence of this genre, by stop caring about its weakness and focusing on its strength to win over the heart of the audience.

On the technical aspect it's a total triumph in both visual and audio. I love that the music in the fusion scene, the composer refuse to use a more modern "epic" piece and choose to go with a more traditional space opera atmosphere instead, it makes the job harder to create an emotional resonance with the visual element, but he can pull it off not only successfully but also skillfully. The result is the oldschool sound that somehow manage to capture multi-generational viewers' attention.
Mar 7, 10:20 AM

Jan 2009
dear god

so the theory that smith is bravern is right there is some time loop going on

burn bravern is cool

and lulu is gonna ride superbia eh

Mar 7, 10:52 AM
Feb 2017
It was clear for a few weeks now but it still hit so hard and beautifully.
This is what super robot and mecha as a whole is about. Say the word that make you believe, Pull the lever that does a bat-shit crazy thing and become the hero you were destined to be.

It's also been obvious since episode 1 but this one just cemented the fact that it's a show that will be remembered for years, Not just for the jokes but for the pure love of the game and wonderful execution. It's just perfect.
Mar 7, 2:33 PM
Dec 2014
So the theories that Bravern is Smith are confirmed. But now that we know the origin, A new question has been started.

How much of Bravern is actually Smith and how much is whatever influence Kunus is having.

Burn Bravern was excellent, classic Obari super robot.
GenesicKaiserMar 7, 2:43 PM
Mar 7, 4:29 PM

Sep 2022
This show continues to both subvert and exceed my expectations with each episode, and this episode is perhaps the best thus far. It not only excels in the visual department with the continuation of the fight from the last episode but it reassured me that everything is daijoubu with SMITH BEING BRAVERN!!! Also that quote "To grasp an invisible future, you need nothing more than invincible bravery" is an incredibly powerful message.
I'm the sonny boy ( ̄y▽, ̄)╭
Mar 7, 4:57 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
dear god. this is a masterpiece

NYANPASU
5700XT

Mar 7, 5:04 PM

Mar 2020
I WAS SO SURPRISED BY THAT TWIST AND AT THE SAME TIME I CRIED. To think that Smith-kun was Bravern-san the whole time.
Zorosuke_Mar 8, 3:37 AM
Oppai check!

111 cm: Hancock
110 cm: Zoro
100 cm: Robin
Mar 7, 7:25 PM
Sep 2023
I hope at some point he reveals who he is. He is a different person, but still holds the same values.
Mar 7, 7:35 PM

Sep 2021
So Bravern is actually Lewis! Not too much of a suprise for me, since I already thought it might be the case and a time & space robot showing up made it even more evident.

However, I'm still a bit confused on what exactly is going on... I was expecting to have everything reset to Hawaii, like in Summertime Render or Edens Zero S2. Because the beginning of the show clearly wasn't the first loop. And during the first loop, Bravern should not have been there - so how did Lewis even reincarnate the first time?

Besides that... Did Lulu realize Bravern is Smith? I believe Isami didn't, but I'm not sure about her. She seems to have some kind of plan though... I have no idea what's going to happen next at this point xD

Finally, I guess Lewis X Isami is very much an implied / semi-canon ship. They triumphed over the Deathdrivers with the power of love! This is great!

But then again... One of them is a robot now... I really want a perfect happy end for the two of them! Not some bittersweet stuff, just happy!
Mar 7, 11:32 PM
Jan 2009
The more we got to know Smith the more obvious this was, but it was still a great story twist and plot arc for Smith. It's exactly what he wanted. He's a hero, he's a giant robot, he gets to help his friend save the world and yell embarrassing nonsense. This feels good. Other anime can learn from this.
Mar 8, 2:12 AM

Dec 2015
Interesting. I did not really believe the early theories others had. But I did not pay attention to the dialogue in the first episode. (Thought it was Isami that wanted to be a hero.) After the previous episode (when they showed that again) - it was pretty clear, with Smith.

I just wonder about the motivation and how this all works logically. They will have to introduce the time-loop thing. (With logic holes unless you have a different timeline.) Here he only turned into Bravern because ... he was already Bravern. (If Bravern had not appeared they might just have killed everyone early including Smith.)

Wondering if the female robot that was so fixated on Smith is Lulu+Superbia maybe actually. (If we have people traveling time then it doesn't just need to be one.)
Easiest would be if Smith just had an accident (together with the parents) or suicide attemt (after parents died and he wanted to be a hero but felt useless) ... and was in coma dreaming everthing. :D (With all the other people being normal persons he knew in real life.)

I think another anime did a similar thing. (Where I did not like the ending. Here I'd like it if it was that way.) With Smith training at military that cheap/normal mech (I think they call them TitanStrider) appeared behind him when walking. Maybe actually in the "normal" world they do not appear and he fantasized/dreams those as well.
Mar 8, 2:48 AM

Dec 2018
I have mixed feelings, I'm glad smith is back but it's sad he's bravern now but also that is kinda cool i think this brings him closer to his friend but i'm sad he had to die for it.
Mar 8, 10:01 AM

Apr 2009
Reply to Bisalissy
So Bravern is actually Lewis! Not too much of a suprise for me, since I already thought it might be the case and a time & space robot showing up made it even more evident.

However, I'm still a bit confused on what exactly is going on... I was expecting to have everything reset to Hawaii, like in Summertime Render or Edens Zero S2. Because the beginning of the show clearly wasn't the first loop. And during the first loop, Bravern should not have been there - so how did Lewis even reincarnate the first time?

Besides that... Did Lulu realize Bravern is Smith? I believe Isami didn't, but I'm not sure about her. She seems to have some kind of plan though... I have no idea what's going to happen next at this point xD

Finally, I guess Lewis X Isami is very much an implied / semi-canon ship. They triumphed over the Deathdrivers with the power of love! This is great!

But then again... One of them is a robot now... I really want a perfect happy end for the two of them! Not some bittersweet stuff, just happy!

MAL will say they are just very good platonic friends.

Mar 8, 10:01 AM

Jan 2019
Poorly executed twist imo, would have been more effective for the audience as well as Isami to believe Smith is dead rather than just replaying scenes from the first episode. I'm also afraid the show has climaxed too early, the twist could've been saved for the finale and we do still have 3 episodes left after all.

The new fusion and all the fancy attacks were cool though.

Mar 8, 3:23 PM

May 2018
So we got the standard mid-season upgrade.
Mar 8, 5:18 PM

Jul 2012
I feel like I'm watching history in the making. This is the second coming of Samurai Flamenco.
Mar 9, 10:42 AM

Dec 2008
Freaking Bravern added lyrics so Isami could sing along.
This show is so good.
Mar 9, 1:17 PM

Oct 2015
Based on the discussion, I was in the minority that didn't see that coming. Was pleasantly surprised and it really tied some of the plot treads together.
Mar 9, 1:29 PM

Oct 2015
Reply to Bisalissy

@Bisalissy
Bisalissy said:

It probably just means that this show's universe operates on closed time loop theory. Meaning that everything is predestined and that there was no other way it played out. Also means there is no free will, but we probably don't need to think that deep about it.
Mar 9, 4:04 PM
Jun 2023
ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!!!!! i was hoping this was how the story would go and im so happy. lewis smith you will always be famous
Mar 9, 8:25 PM

Mar 2007
WTH Bravern is Smith???!???!!!!!!

So Smith died, merged with Cunus and went back in time to become Bravern because he had UNFINISHED Business. Good heavens his backstory is all kinds of tragic.

• The kid him wanted to be a hero.
  • Played with Gunpla
  • Mama and Papa didn't have a hero to save them ... you know that is a death flag right there ... never mind, gravestones
  • Joining the marines
  • Arguing with a sergeant
  • Becoming a pilot
  • Then going back because it's not over yet!

LOVED It. That whole Gattai bit even.

I'm laughing and crying at the same time. What a great episode.
Stormy_77Mar 9, 8:29 PM
Mar 9, 9:45 PM

Feb 2019
i had a feeling Lewis and Bravern are one and the same. Kinda bittersweet what happened to him. I wonder when he'll reveal his true identity to Inami.
Mar 10, 12:49 AM
Mar 2018
A fine episode; definitely the most earnest one this far IMO.

I thought it didn't make sense for Smith to just die and be gone at this point in the story, but I didn't expect him to become Bravern. I found the reveal to be underwhelming.
Mar 10, 12:22 PM
May 2018
I wonder what kind of time travel this is. If after going back in time and becoming Bravern he chose himself as the pilot instead of Isami, would he create a paradox where it's impossible for him to exist or would he create a seperate timeline where he doesn't die?
Mar 10, 11:41 PM

Oct 2022
it's fun to backtrack to the earlier episodes knowing what the twist is. tons of bravern antics that looked like the goofy robot doing goofy things start to make sense when you know that bravern always knows where smith is, and that he knows smith's not going to be in real danger until episode 8.

garkon_ickyMar 11, 12:55 AM
fgsfds
Mar 10, 11:54 PM
Jan 2013
Wow What a great payoff to the brave upgrade mech.Smith got his closure.

Mar 11, 4:34 PM

Feb 2012
It is kind of Bravern = Smith+Knuth after all; the former has the memories and heroism and the latter being how Bravern time travelled and became a deathdrive-like robot.
A time-travel mecha series like Buddy Complex.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Mar 12, 4:45 AM

Nov 2020
It was obvious xD the loading scene was very gay haha
Mar 14, 11:40 PM

Jul 2017
Smith sacrificing his life for Isami and Bravern, it has to the biggest dent on Isami's morale. For the young kid who was brought up without parents who died from an early age, he always wanted to be a hero, piloting his own Titanostrider, even if he was not amused and surprised that Bravern chose Isami instead. Even then, both Isami and Smith shared the same exact ambitions, and Smith becoming Burn Bravern...is not a surprise at all (given the gay-ish context of the show), and that everything has been a time loop of sorts.

Now, to face off against the other Deathdrives, both Vanitas and Pessimism are giving both of them enough trouble, not to mention Lulu's advocacy. And the culmination of them all: the title drop of Isami being Bang Brave and Smith being Bang Bravern being able to defeat both Deathdrives, impressing Superbia in the process.

But Lulu wanting to pilot Superbia, what's her intention?

If this was the ending, then this climax is PERFECT. Sadly, it wasn't...
Mar 22, 5:50 PM

Apr 2015
What a plot twist!

Also Lulu was giving the spoiler for a long time because she always called Bravern of Smith. XD
Mar 31, 12:06 PM

Oct 2018
WHAT THE FUCK

How can anything top this!?
Apr 6, 12:15 AM

Jan 2017
Yup the foreshadowing was there all along, Smith was indeed reincarnated as Braven due to funi shenanigans with horni robot.

I'm so sad that my prediction of Lulu being the final boss seems like it's gonna come true :(

More topics from this board

» Just Finished Watching

dustinator1991 - 6 hours ago

3 by bboy_OatsnRice »»
2 hours ago

» Worth Watching?

dustinator1991 - Mar 26

12 by nick_el_son »»
Today, 5:06 AM

Poll: » Yuuki Bakuhatsu Bang Bravern Episode 12 Discussion

KANLen09 - Mar 28

48 by JizzyHitler »»
Apr 23, 5:12 PM

Poll: » Yuuki Bakuhatsu Bang Bravern Episode 10 Discussion

bboy_OatsnRice - Mar 14

23 by Alzeana »»
Apr 22, 1:39 AM

Poll: » Yuuki Bakuhatsu Bang Bravern Episode 5 Discussion

deg - Feb 8

35 by akiraic »»
Apr 21, 8:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.