Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 28, 7:27 AM

Nov 2011
Damn, Shinsuke he needs to control his emotions better.

Episode had a good deal of emotions but I like how they made the humans experience the most emotions as they should. Still, it's kinda despairing to know about human sacrifices this episode as well. Shinsuke is lucky he didn't lose himself. Every action has a consequence and the sooner he realizes it, the better.
Feb 28, 7:42 AM

Dec 2021
Shakugan is really gone, huh...

Sacrificing herself to protect the village of Iwano, and falling into a deep slumber, was Shakugan. Losing her, Shinsuke was consumed by anger, nearly overwhelmed by the shadow's aura. Learning that the guardian of a certain village, Kagomori, was devouring sacrificial humans, Shinsuke sets out to defeat it. However, what he encountered there was Resshin, who had already defeated Kagomori. Shinsuke wielded his sword fueled by emotion, but was struck unconscious by Resshin's attack. Drifting in and out of consciousness, Shinsuke enters the spiritual realm of the demonic sword, Arabuki.

Damn, Shinsuke's really stepping up. Losing Shakugan made him tougher and stop complaining. He's not taking shit anymore. Respect. He even stood up to Tama. But what I really respect is how he talked back to Arabuki. Most MCs would just let the inner demon control them, but not Shinsuke. He had the guts to yell at the demon. Even without his sword, he was kicking Resshin's ass. Exicted to see how their rematch goes. And what he told that villager was harsh but true. Loving this new Shinsuke. Anyway, some new girl shows up in the second half. Mostly just setting up for the next arc.

This Mountain God is definitely someone important we'll get to know more about soon.

Feb 28, 8:09 AM
Sep 2015
My brain can't handle when each character has multiple names.
Shinsuke's late rebellious phase, but I've a feeling that he and Resshin will team up at some point. I think he'll forgive Resshin the moment Shakuyaku revive, I also have a hunch that that moment might happern sooner than later.
Feb 28, 9:08 AM

Feb 2021
So Shakugan is actually dead, damn... Was really hoping for plot armor to take action here. Did NOT expect someone from the main cast to die not even 10 episodes in.
Shinsuke in his current state kinda reminds me of Itadori near the end of JJK season 2
Him talking with the sword like that was kinda funny and kinda badass lol
18:14 天狗 (tengu lit. heaven dog) - red-faced and long-nosed goblin said to reside deep in the mountains

Really good episode. I expect much more people to start liking Shinsuke more now.
Feb 28, 9:52 AM
Feb 2020
Another great ep.
Shinsuke locked in.Kinda weird how easily the "guardian" got defeated when he's supposed to protect the village.
Shinsuke getting control of the sword scene goes pretty hard along with the arm chop.
Feb 28, 10:11 AM

Mar 2021
It’s kind of a minor thing, but I really appreciate that in the aftermath of major emotional events, the characters remain shaken. It would cheapen what was a thoroughly heartbreaking end to the last episode.

And though people can certainly fault Shinsuke’s lack of emotional control, his mindset and temperament are easy to understand (and quite believable). And there are already signs that it could lead to significant character growth. It is just really solid story telling.
Feb 28, 10:19 AM

Jan 2018
So Shakugan may still be alive. She might awake one day. The fact that this got mentioned at all probably hints that she will wake up at some point in the story.

Shinsuke took the "death" of Shaku the worst. He's basically a completely different guy now. But it let him use his magic katana against Resshin who killed Shaku. But he's still got a long way to go. Hopefully, he gets to take his revenge.

It was kind of disgusting how Tama thought it was fair for the "guardian" to take a human as a sacrifice. She's still a katawara and it seems like she doesn't fully understand human feelings yet.

The Tengus got slaughtered way too easily. I guess we'll be seeing Jinka fighting the dragon next.
Feb 28, 10:47 AM
Jan 2024
Reply to 0451
So Shakugan may still be alive. She might awake one day. The fact that this got mentioned at all probably hints that she will wake up at some point in the story.

Shinsuke took the "death" of Shaku the worst. He's basically a completely different guy now. But it let him use his magic katana against Resshin who killed Shaku. But he's still got a long way to go. Hopefully, he gets to take his revenge.

It was kind of disgusting how Tama thought it was fair for the "guardian" to take a human as a sacrifice. She's still a katawara and it seems like she doesn't fully understand human feelings yet.

The Tengus got slaughtered way too easily. I guess we'll be seeing Jinka fighting the dragon next.
@0451 I think you're missing a lot of the context to judge Tama by that. Remember, this is the Sengoku period where villages get wiped out by bandits and war all the time. Having a supernatural being protect your village for 1 sacrifice every 4 years is actually a decent deal. You can't use modern values in this discussion because if you have access to a computer and internet, you're living a far better life than these villagers. Not to mention, Kagomori did actually uphold his end of the deal and fought to the bitter end against Barry.
Feb 28, 10:58 AM

Jan 2018
Shiraori247 said:
@0451 I think you're missing a lot of the context to judge Tama by that. Remember, this is the Sengoku period where villages get wiped out by bandits and war all the time. Having a supernatural being protect your village for 1 sacrifice every 4 years is actually a decent deal. You can't use modern values in this discussion because if you have access to a computer and internet, you're living a far better life than these villagers. Not to mention, Kagomori did actually uphold his end of the deal and fought to the bitter end against Barry.

I understand that. But it’s bizarre how she had to throw in that line about how it’s "fair". It’s as if she thinks the life of that girl is worthless. It made me question if she's actually a hypocrite. I'm with Shinsuke on this one.
Feb 28, 11:00 AM
Jan 2024
Reply to 0451
Shiraori247 said:

I understand that. But it’s bizarre how she had to throw in that line about how it’s "fair". It’s as if she thinks the life of that girl is worthless. It made me question if she's actually a hypocrite. I'm with Shinsuke on this one.
@0451 Tama is simply old enough to have seen villages like this perish without a protector. While we would obviously sympathise with Shinsuke's viewpoint, I do think we can't too heavily criticise Tama's either.
Feb 28, 11:00 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to 0451

0451 said:

I was going to say I was pleasantly surprised that they didn't immediately demonize human sacrifice. I don't see this kind of perspective very often. Just last week Unwanted Undead Adventurer had a human sacrifice storyline that went the usual route of "we must free the villagers being preyed upon".

I think Tama understands how Shinsuke and most humans would feel about this, she's just telling it like it is. I mean, Katawara's gotta eat too, right? And we shouldn't expect them to do the job for free. I didn't get the impression that the guardian was taking advantage of the villagers, either; he took the time to ask about the group's intentions and told Shinsuke to stay away from the village. He also took down Resshin with his last breath.

Shinsuke wasn't really wrong either, of course; the villagers shouldn't have resorted to killing their children. But like the one villager says, they have no strength to protect themselves, so they had to make a decision. The alternative was to just die, like Shinsuke says.

I'm liking this weird combination of a simple and ridiculous adventure storyline and some surprising and harsh sides to it.
Feb 28, 11:14 AM

Sep 2023
It was kind of funny to listen to Shinsuke's whining about how he is going to kill a lot of dangaisyuu, and then, guess what? He just lets Resshin to escape... 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Shinsuke is still irritating AF but at least his "bad side" is better, at least he is able to fight now.
LessThanAnimeFanFeb 28, 11:18 AM
Feb 28, 11:26 AM

Mar 2018
Reply to LessThanAnimeFan
It was kind of funny to listen to Shinsuke's whining about how he is going to kill a lot of dangaisyuu, and then, guess what? He just lets Resshin to escape... 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Shinsuke is still irritating AF but at least his "bad side" is better, at least he is able to fight now.
@LessThanAnimeFan He still wants to kill Resshin, but he let him escape so that they could have a fair battle in the future. The anime kinda skipped over some of Shinsuke's inner monologue in those scenes, but its still the implication.
Feb 28, 2:16 PM

Sep 2023
Reply to RobinLopez
@LessThanAnimeFan He still wants to kill Resshin, but he let him escape so that they could have a fair battle in the future. The anime kinda skipped over some of Shinsuke's inner monologue in those scenes, but its still the implication.
@RobinLopez
Oh, okay, thanks for explanation. I don't expect Resshin to fight fair since he never did though😁.
Feb 28, 3:38 PM
Aug 2023
Liked that everyone remained acutely aware of their situation and their grief levels were reasonable, fully expected Shinsuke to take it the worst, but blind rage only gets you so far.

What I didn’t expect was for him to actually refuse the power-up/fusion offered by the soul of the sword. Was glad to see it since it would’ve rendered everything he said about wanting to become strong on his own pointless.

Also like the prospect of Shakugan staying dead (at least for now) which will serve as further fuel for the trio to work toward stopping the Dangaisyuu. They added that she could awaken but the bare minimum mentioned is 100yrs, Shinsuke certainly won’t be alive by then unless I missed something and humans can live well beyond 100 in this universe.
jpexistsFeb 28, 3:41 PM
Feb 28, 5:20 PM
Nov 2020
This was another great episode. I’m really starting to like this series. Shinsuke really goes through grief and it’s definitely emotional. I also like how Shakugan is there in his head like his conscience. It hope that Shakugan does come back before 100 years.
Feb 28, 6:54 PM

Feb 2011
Nice to see shunsuke finally getting some back bone.

Talking smack back to jinka too.. He said he's borrowing the swords power.. but the dude literally borrows his "sister"s spirit powers every fight, talk about the pot calling the kettle black lol.

Deec episode. I miss shaku :( She was so breedable

Feb 28, 8:05 PM
Mar 2015
our boi fought his own sword The katawara did save him from the enhanced human More you have no right to live stuff Tengu no match for dragon
Feb 28, 8:56 PM

Jul 2008
Grief messes us all up, but Shinsuke has definitely leveled up.
Feb 29, 1:58 AM
Oct 2019
I'm still haven't emotionally recovered from last week episode 😥

It's irritating me hearing Tama saying it's fair regarding the village sacrifice but i can also understand what she meant by that
davidyodo24Mar 1, 3:55 AM
Feb 29, 2:49 PM

Jan 2019
whew how many more episodes will i be able to put up with i wonder. doesn't help that it airs on the same day as metallic dogass.
Feb 29, 7:25 PM
Pirate King
Feb 2021
Sucks to hear shakugan is really gone. Interesting to see what this new character has to offer and if the tengen are really dead and if they are I’m sure a fight will break out here really fast
Mar 1, 1:26 AM
Jan 2024
Reply to Shenhe
whew how many more episodes will i be able to put up with i wonder. doesn't help that it airs on the same day as metallic dogass.
@Shenhe Or maybe you can stop hatewatching? lol
Mar 1, 2:57 AM

Jan 2019
Reply to Shiraori247
@Shenhe Or maybe you can stop hatewatching? lol
@Shiraori247

what's your definition of hatewatching? not liking what you're watching? watching for the sole purpose to hate?

at what point does it become hatewatching?

Mar 2, 12:03 AM

Oct 2010
they actually made the fights bloodier than in the manga, great job from the studio and the VAs were outstanding
now it's time for mountain god hotness
Mar 2, 10:09 PM

Jan 2017
Must admit, I prefer the new snappy Shinsuke right now.
And yas! We'll finally get to know why Jinka has different eye colors. It's one of the reasons why I find him so handsome and unique so I'm really looking forward to know 💜
Also, more of Senya please
Mar 3, 8:49 AM

Oct 2016
Overall pretty good episode. I liked seeing how much Shinsuke changed after Shakuyaku’s death, and the scene of him demanding his katana to give him its power was very cool and dramatic scene. The only thing about this episode I didn’t like was how random it was for Shinsuke to run into Resshin. (7/10)
Mar 4, 8:24 PM

Jul 2017
Shakugan's death has caused misanthropy to both Jinka and Shinsuke, though the latter has been hit hard the most. With it, the village's guardian Kagomori advises against Shinsuke, given that his emotions have run amok, but he's really on a killing streak, especially when Resshin is on the loose after separating from Douren. And Arabuki, fed up by his misforgivings, have decided to take his body, though Shinsuke easily overcomes him, and fights Resshin like he has a feud of revenge against him. Sure, fighting for Shakugan's revenge is justified, but it seems like he's doing it for himself to overcome his weakness. And that sets the stage between their true names: Takekichi vs. Barry Zalmour.

With Kagomori dead, Shinsuke has to move on regardless of the village's protection, and he's pretty much pissed at the Dangaisyuu, which at the very least, is of common interest to Jinka. Moving forward, they encounter a mountain goddess with Tengu at her command, though Jinun is trailing on their tail fast. An ally of theirs who opposes the Dangaisyuu with both Jinun and Senya wanting to pass regardless.

Who exactly is this mountain goddess, and how long will her protection last on them?
Apr 1, 7:02 PM

Jun 2020
Oh god I almost lost it when he let Resshin. He wants a fair fight blah blah blah . how he killed Shakugan was fair? No so how dump you need to be to think like that that a person who killed one of your friend, almost killed another one and almost killed a mother who just gives to birth to twins deserve a fair fight. You need to be brainless
Apr 5, 3:19 AM

Sep 2012
Reply to kirA_-_
Oh god I almost lost it when he let Resshin. He wants a fair fight blah blah blah . how he killed Shakugan was fair? No so how dump you need to be to think like that that a person who killed one of your friend, almost killed another one and almost killed a mother who just gives to birth to twins deserve a fair fight. You need to be brainless
@kirA_-_ he didn't want to dishonor/disrespect Shakuyaku cause she would have disapproved killing some1 who is down already, hes image of her said what she would have said if she was there, he wouldn't be able to face her if she wakes up in hes life time, also it goes against warrior/samurai code, no matter what the crime u wont kill the defenseless, like doctors have there code to save life and not to take it so they refuse to take life even if they are forced to fight, they die before taking a life, that's how seriously some take the doctors code IRL
Apr 5, 3:24 AM

Sep 2012
Reply to HotRodster
Overall pretty good episode. I liked seeing how much Shinsuke changed after Shakuyaku’s death, and the scene of him demanding his katana to give him its power was very cool and dramatic scene. The only thing about this episode I didn’t like was how random it was for Shinsuke to run into Resshin. (7/10)
@HotRodster him talking to hes sword while he was unconscious was hilarious, i laughed hard lol
Apr 5, 3:28 AM

Sep 2012
Reply to davidyodo24
I'm still haven't emotionally recovered from last week episode 😥

It's irritating me hearing Tama saying it's fair regarding the village sacrifice but i can also understand what she meant by that
@davidyodo24 he was pissed enough that he would have even fought with Tama and Jinka and i mean real fight like he did with that guy
Apr 5, 3:32 AM

Sep 2012
Reply to Lightsrevenge
This was another great episode. I’m really starting to like this series. Shinsuke really goes through grief and it’s definitely emotional. I also like how Shakugan is there in his head like his conscience. It hope that Shakugan does come back before 100 years.
@Lightsrevenge @jpexists don't know how to explain this but she does and that cause humans messing around, just like in some story's humans accidentally release evil spirt where its sealed but it wasn't actually evil but Loki type/Trickster

does she return near end of the story don't know, but soon enough to give that couple happy ending
Apr 6, 11:09 AM
Nov 2020
Sugram22 said:
@Lightsrevenge @jpexists don't know how to explain this but she does and that cause humans messing around, just like in some story's humans accidentally release evil spirt where its sealed but it wasn't actually evil but Loki type/Trickster

does she return near end of the story don't know, but soon enough to give that couple happy ending

Nice! Hope to see more of their dynamic in the coming seasons.
Apr 6, 5:28 PM
Mar 2019
We now meet the powerful one.
May 17, 8:19 AM
Dec 2013
Wow. Shakuyaku really is gone for good. And it's quieter now that the group of 4 is gone down to 3.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sengoku Youko Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 21

84 by Spirelord »»
Sep 16, 3:14 AM

Poll: » Sengoku Youko Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 31

39 by Spirelord »»
Sep 10, 11:14 PM

Poll: » Sengoku Youko Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 17

60 by V_001 »»
Sep 9, 7:57 AM

» When does this get good?

Ankz - Jan 19

42 by Ankz »»
Aug 3, 5:30 AM

Poll: » Sengoku Youko Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 10

90 by Apreggi »»
Jul 11, 7:33 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.