Forum Settings
Forums

From hating hack dubs to now appreciating hack dubs.

New
Feb 15, 11:41 AM
Apr 2022
So we have gone from an era of hating hack dubs (Localized dubs) in the 90s and 2000s to an era of now appreciating hack dubs. What are your thoughts about this stance? My thought is that hack dubs are still beloved like Pokemon, Yugioh, and Digimon.
funtime43_trFeb 18, 12:19 AM
Feb 15, 11:44 AM

May 2019
i didn't watch dubs then and i don't watch dubs now, have always been sub only.
Feb 15, 11:53 AM

Oct 2018
Dub was horrible back in the 90s and 2000s, but it is also horrible now in the 2020s
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Feb 15, 11:56 AM

Feb 2020
Subs are almost always superior anyway.
Feb 15, 11:58 AM

Jun 2017
I loved them as a kid when i didn't know what anime was. I hated them when i went through my anime purist face but i love them because i realized they were never meant to be accurate dubs and i like them mostly for nostalgia now. I genuinely do love them.
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Feb 15, 12:18 PM

Jun 2012
Are there any recent ones?

I think people look at campy or inaccurate dubs with endearment because they're less of a sterile corporate product. That's as long as the localizer isn't trying to interpret a political angle into the script.
Feb 16, 9:21 AM
Jun 2021
One word: nostalgia. I still have an incredibly soft spot for all the Yu-Gi-Oh dubs (my bro @TheBlockernator knows).
Those dubs were trashy as hell, but we love them because it's all we had back then.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Feb 16, 10:05 AM

Sep 2019
Sub is better for the story, and the dub is better for the nostalgia fuel.
Feb 16, 10:06 AM

Aug 2013
I didn't watch dubs then, I don't watch dubs now and I will never watch dubs in the future.
I'm only interested in original direction, culture and language. In any foreign media. Doesn't matter if it's Japanese, American or German.
I can't appreciate something that is by default replacing everything what original creators and other artists like voice actors originally worked on.
rsc-plFeb 16, 10:09 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Feb 16, 10:16 AM

Apr 2010
Uh dunno, haven't watched a dubbed anime since I've learned English well enough to read subtitles, and meme dubs just don't do anything for me unless it's an abridged series or something.
FLCL fandub in my native language from way back when is the only anime I'd consider watching dubbed again, just because it was an absolute passion project which actually adapted the script in a way that was understandable for a kid of my sociocultural background without losing its essence.
Feb 16, 10:28 AM

Jul 2014
The general quality of voice acting is significantly better now than it ever was, but I can't say the same for the scripts themselves. So many of them try to be hip by incorporating references to current trends and zoomerspeak but that'll ironically make them dated as time goes on.
LoveLikeBloodFeb 16, 2:56 PM
Take care of yourself

Feb 16, 11:39 AM

Oct 2017
Localized isn't the same as hack dub. Every single translation is inherently localized. Hack dubs are stuff like 4Kids, Saban, and Dic where they physically removed and jumble around footage to eidt out content
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Feb 16, 11:41 AM

Oct 2017
Reply to Ochimusha
Are there any recent ones?

I think people look at campy or inaccurate dubs with endearment because they're less of a sterile corporate product. That's as long as the localizer isn't trying to interpret a political angle into the script.
@KABOCHACONSOMME

There's only like....2 on the market right now which are Beyblade (Hasbro makes sure that the dub is edited to hide the fact that the HAsbro releases of the toys are butchered and missing features), and the newer Yu-Gi-Oh shows. You could also argue Pokémon, but they only really make minor visual alterations to remove Japanese text and music these days as they make the show in mind with international audiences due to how big Pokemon has gotten.
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Feb 16, 12:20 PM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
Only those that are "so bad they're actually fun". All the rest still belongs in the dumpster bin.
Feb 16, 12:36 PM
Apr 2022
Reply to LSSJ_Gaming
@KABOCHACONSOMME

There's only like....2 on the market right now which are Beyblade (Hasbro makes sure that the dub is edited to hide the fact that the HAsbro releases of the toys are butchered and missing features), and the newer Yu-Gi-Oh shows. You could also argue Pokémon, but they only really make minor visual alterations to remove Japanese text and music these days as they make the show in mind with international audiences due to how big Pokemon has gotten.
@LSSJ_Gaming or the Saban dub of smile precure called glitter force that was released back in 2015.
Feb 16, 1:22 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to funtime43_tr
@LSSJ_Gaming or the Saban dub of smile precure called glitter force that was released back in 2015.
@funtime43_tr

I completely forgot that Saban still does anime stuff since I am more familiar with their Western Tokusatsu adaptations (Power Rangers still holds a special place in my heart) and their early distribution of DBZ. Have they done anything more recent than Glitter Force out of curiosity?
Feb 16, 1:52 PM

Dec 2021
What "hack dubs" are out there? I haven't heard a single dub that felt significantly out of whack. Dubs frequently surpass subs, too. I saw Panty & Stocking last month, and Jamie Marchi and Monica Real put on such a good performance it's impossible to imagine anyone doing better..
Feb 16, 2:10 PM
Nov 2017
I believe you are talking about abridged/ghost stories style dubs. If so, they are not "hack" dubs.
Feb 16, 4:33 PM

Sep 2015
I like dubs, good ones, older bad ones, even a mid dub is more engaging that a boring sub. If I watch a sub I want to get attached to a character's voice. Something like Higurashi or anything with Jouji Nakata. Hellsing is one where I would say the Dub and Sub are just as good, because both casts are very distinctive in their role. I don't really want to watch a sub to just hear the same dude do the same anime character voice he's done in 20 other shows. I love hearing people do different things like how you wouldn't easily pick out Takehito Koyasu in the sub for KO Beast, it's a totally different voice than he does these days.
Feb 16, 5:19 PM

Jul 2015
How about hating all dubs, which are all shit anyway?

Feb 16, 10:32 PM

Mar 2021
funtime43_tr said:
So we have gone from an era of hating hack dubs (Localized dubs) in the 90s and 2000s to an era of now appreciating hack dubs. What are your thoughts about this stance?

I can't speak for anyone else but I have a pretty unique appreciation for Dubs. Almost my entire life I have understood the Japanese language spoken so I have never really had the need to watch Anime with subtitles. Though living in North America most of my adult life I have experienced Anime when a lot of it 1st started getting platformed on national TV. Anything that was officially released domestically to the western audience at that time was always dubbed in English. Was never really a problem for me and just didn't care that much if it was "hacked to death" and localized for western consumption.

I tend to watch Anime in Japanese without subtitles because to me subtitles just obstructs the view of animation on the screen when I am either alone or on rare occasions watching it with my wife who is Japanese. But I will also watch Anime dubbed in English in a social setting when watching it with western friends who do not understand Japanese. Usually such situations it's a lot more casual to have a dub playing, especially when everyone is drinking beer, shooting pool, and over all socializing with each other while Anime plays on a TV screen in my man cave more as background ambience. It's one of the reasons why I tend to always buy as much Anime as I can that has both English and Japanese dub options when I do purchase Anime on Official physical copies.

The real appreciation for Dubbed Anime started for me back in the early 2000s when I would still go to a lot of conventions and actually had the privilege to meet some very well known English voice actors in the industry from Steve Blum to Kira Davis to Beau Billingslea to Monica Rial. Even if one doesn't like watching Anime dubbed it's hard not to have the appreciation for these voice actors where it's obvious it takes skill to localize Anime in English for a western audience when such a medium was intended for a Japanese audience.

Fast forward to today it would seem most of the new Voice actors in the Anime dubbing industry are just extreme hardcore gamers and Anime fans where they have actively pursued careers in voice acting and actually managed to successfully get into the industry.

Over all an Anime almost always doubles in popularity when it gets dubbed in English. As well as it increases the chances of any franchise to get a continuation or future season releases. Just these facts alone should be quite the reason for anyone to encourage Anime to get dubbed in English even if one doesn't personally consume it dubbed in English.
ColourWheelFeb 17, 5:39 PM
Feb 16, 10:42 PM

Sep 2016
Three words: Fuck 'em hard.

The english dubs were always garbage back then and they are still garbage, now.
"Today's music ain't got the same soul
I like that old time rock and roll" -Bob Seger in 1978.
Feb 16, 11:04 PM

Oct 2013
Somehow, vast majority of anime enjoyers have never liked dubbed shows. Funny enough, they have never been consistent in their feelings towards dubs. How come someone can be so much against localized dubbs when one localized anime is considered as "good" and the other is considered as "bad", while both of them are localized (to smaller or bigger degree), and thus differ from the original Japanese version?

When it comes to weebs, I remember they reacted to the sole existence of them as if it was a war crime to have their favourite Japanese cartoon dubbed in any languege or in any way (classic dubbing or voice-over done by lector or lectors), lol. Or seethed over folks who watched dubbed anime from time to time, or preferred dubs to subs. I didn't notice their stance to change over the years. It's the same as it used to be when talking about anime from the past and that is released today. Perhaps it's not as much visible, since the so-called anime community is way bigger and diverse than it was in the past. Casuals or non-weeb viewers don't give a damn what do they watch in their free time or what do others prefer to watch in their. Both groups, generally speaking and excluding some obvious exceptional individuals, just focus on having fun. I recommend this stance. ;) In modern times, it's possible to choose which version you can watch. Subbed, dubbed? Or perhaps watch it in the same way as viewers in Japan do? No problem, it's all within your grasp and most of anime offer all three routes to be chosen from (sometimes they lack dubs or dubs are released later, though).
Feb 17, 7:17 AM

Mar 2023
Hack dubs will always be A+ tier for me

Feb 17, 10:48 AM

Mar 2021
Reply to Adnash
Somehow, vast majority of anime enjoyers have never liked dubbed shows. Funny enough, they have never been consistent in their feelings towards dubs. How come someone can be so much against localized dubbs when one localized anime is considered as "good" and the other is considered as "bad", while both of them are localized (to smaller or bigger degree), and thus differ from the original Japanese version?

When it comes to weebs, I remember they reacted to the sole existence of them as if it was a war crime to have their favourite Japanese cartoon dubbed in any languege or in any way (classic dubbing or voice-over done by lector or lectors), lol. Or seethed over folks who watched dubbed anime from time to time, or preferred dubs to subs. I didn't notice their stance to change over the years. It's the same as it used to be when talking about anime from the past and that is released today. Perhaps it's not as much visible, since the so-called anime community is way bigger and diverse than it was in the past. Casuals or non-weeb viewers don't give a damn what do they watch in their free time or what do others prefer to watch in their. Both groups, generally speaking and excluding some obvious exceptional individuals, just focus on having fun. I recommend this stance. ;) In modern times, it's possible to choose which version you can watch. Subbed, dubbed? Or perhaps watch it in the same way as viewers in Japan do? No problem, it's all within your grasp and most of anime offer all three routes to be chosen from (sometimes they lack dubs or dubs are released later, though).
Adnash said:
Somehow, vast majority of anime enjoyers have never liked dubbed shows.

I would beg to differ. MAL data suggests it's only a vocal minority of Anime viewers that have never liked dubbed shows when you look at two generic seasonal Animes side by side that get released around the same time period. Usually if one Anime gets dubbed and the other doesn't, it's almost always that the Anime that also has a dub in English will usually have twice as many members following that particular Anime as well as twice as many Users scoring it.
Feb 17, 4:12 PM

Jun 2012
@animegamer245 That timeline doesn't make sense. 14 years ago was 2010, people that grew up with Sailor Moon in the 90s would be experiencing nostalgia just as well then as now.
Feb 17, 5:13 PM

Jun 2007
The problem is that the goalposts on what constitutes a "hack dub" have moved to ridiculous levels. In the past, it was "they renamed the show, cut out episodes, re-arranged scenes, changed character names, altered/censored the video, replaced the musical score, combined distinct series" but now it's "They used a word that I consider to be POLITICAL!!!! It's 4Kids/Saban/Nelvana/Macekre all over again! Pirate everything and burn the industry to the ground!!!"
ZalisFeb 17, 5:35 PM

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

Everything that connects to MAL
Feb 17, 7:47 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to ColourWheel
Adnash said:
Somehow, vast majority of anime enjoyers have never liked dubbed shows.

I would beg to differ. MAL data suggests it's only a vocal minority of Anime viewers that have never liked dubbed shows when you look at two generic seasonal Animes side by side that get released around the same time period. Usually if one Anime gets dubbed and the other doesn't, it's almost always that the Anime that also has a dub in English will usually have twice as many members following that particular Anime as well as twice as many Users scoring it.
@ColourWheel English dubbing is not the only dubbing I had in mind. While it surely is popular among many people, especially these days, when many more timid fans have joined the ride and started just enjoying watching the works of Japanese animation industry, it's not the only dubbing existing, obviously.

There were not much problems when dubbed shows were the only ones available, or when someone was a kid would almost always (or always, lol) choose dubbed Japanese cartoon to a subbed one. With the increase of people having access to the Internet, and thus getting opportunity to check out the original version of shows they were interested in, resentment towards subs have increased. Not for that long, it mostly was a trend in 2000s. But still, if we want to be fair, then we shouldn't consider the times where subbed anime (officially subbed or with fanmade subtitles) was rare to the point of not being a thing, since there was no choice other than which show was available on TV, and which wasn't. Choosing to go the other way could be similar to saying that in 1920s people adored monochromatic films, not those in color, and casually forgetting what was the technological development back then and how widespread it was. :P

That's why I pointed out "vast majority" as a group of people who have never liked the dubbing. It also applies to people neutral in this case, but always choosing subbed versions if a dub is available. When it comes to people I referred to as "weebs", then yeah, they are minority and their numbers arw getting thinner way faster than regular and timid "sub only" enthusiasts.
Feb 17, 8:20 PM

Mar 2021
Reply to Adnash
@ColourWheel English dubbing is not the only dubbing I had in mind. While it surely is popular among many people, especially these days, when many more timid fans have joined the ride and started just enjoying watching the works of Japanese animation industry, it's not the only dubbing existing, obviously.

There were not much problems when dubbed shows were the only ones available, or when someone was a kid would almost always (or always, lol) choose dubbed Japanese cartoon to a subbed one. With the increase of people having access to the Internet, and thus getting opportunity to check out the original version of shows they were interested in, resentment towards subs have increased. Not for that long, it mostly was a trend in 2000s. But still, if we want to be fair, then we shouldn't consider the times where subbed anime (officially subbed or with fanmade subtitles) was rare to the point of not being a thing, since there was no choice other than which show was available on TV, and which wasn't. Choosing to go the other way could be similar to saying that in 1920s people adored monochromatic films, not those in color, and casually forgetting what was the technological development back then and how widespread it was. :P

That's why I pointed out "vast majority" as a group of people who have never liked the dubbing. It also applies to people neutral in this case, but always choosing subbed versions if a dub is available. When it comes to people I referred to as "weebs", then yeah, they are minority and their numbers arw getting thinner way faster than regular and timid "sub only" enthusiasts.
@Adnash

If a Japanese Anime gets dubbed in multi different languages it's popularity would only exponentially increase. But it would be hard to judge that based on MAL data since MAL exclusively caters to Users who understand English. Though I can kind of understand the point you were trying to make.

Either way if Dubbing was as extremely unpopular as those who would like to suggest it being, the entire industry just for Dubbing would have died off a long time ago. Judging by the amount of Anime that gets constantly dubbed these days, specifically the industry that dubs for English is extremely strong.
ColourWheelFeb 17, 8:36 PM
Feb 17, 9:00 PM

Mar 2021
@animegamer245

If you have been watching Anime as long as I have, there was never a time period when every Anime ever got dubbed in English. It might be perceived by some as being less now simply because even looking back two decades ago there was a lot less New Anime getting released then there is today.

A majority of Anime that got dubbed for western consumption were mostly over a decade old around the turn of the century. This was during a time period when it still could take some newly released Anime around a half a decade to make it to western audiences after it initially aired in Japan regardless of it being dubbed or not.

I won't speak for back logging but seasonal Anime has maintained consistent when it comes to dubbing for over a decade now and if anything the amount of titles I have noticed that get dubbed has increased on average over the years since then.

Sure that could change over time now since the Crunchyroll merger but so far there is no indication dubbing Anime in English has slowed down yet.

https://www.cultureslate.com/news/funimation-shuts-down-permanently-on-april-2-and-merges-with-crunchyroll

Judging by just this season alone there is currently around two thirds of Anime titles currently airing dubbed over all seasonal Anime this quarter. This is not counting titles that are already planned to eventually get dubbed in the future from this season either that haven't already rolled out yet.

Looking at last year alone 109 seasonal Anime titles finished airing Dubbed plus 76 Misc Anime titles from Movies to back logged releases were dubbed as well. That's a total of 185 Anime titles that got dubbed in the year of 2023 alone.

The only huge outlier is 2022 where a total of 244 Anime titles got dubbed that year. Either way it's been pretty consistent that each year on average about 175 Anime titles get dubbed a year.

In 2023 a total of 185 titles.
In 2022 a total of 244 titles.
In 2021 a total of 213 titles.
In 2020 a total of 161 titles.
In 2019 a total of 176 titles.
In 2018 a total of 176 titles.
In 2017 a total of 162 titles.
In 2016 a total of 162 titles.
ColourWheelFeb 18, 10:39 PM
Feb 17, 10:43 PM

May 2020
I love English dubs of anime. I grew up as a Toonami kid in the early 2000s, and I think that some of those classic shows like Yu Yu Hakusho and G Gundam have amazing dubs. Yes, not every dub is great, but there are many with stellar casts.

Some of my favorites:

Dragon Ball (all series)
Black Lagoon
Space Dandy
Gurren Lagann
Kill la Kill
Pretty much all Studio Ghibli movies
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Lupin III
All Satoshi kon works
Redline
Inuyasha and Inuyasha The Final Act
Lycoris Recoil
Rurouni Kenshin (90s anime)
Vivy Fluorite Eye's Song
Magi
Anohana
Yu Yu Hakusho
Bleach and Bleach The Thousand Year Blood War
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun and Trigun Stampede
Outlaw Star
Great Teacher Onizuka
One Punch Man
Mob Psycho 100
Feb 17, 10:47 PM

Jun 2019
One aspect I enjoy most watching older OVA's and films (80's and 90's) is the cheesy dubs, and profuse English swearing like in Shin Cutey Honey and Dominion Tank Police OVAs.

More topics from this board

» Best White Hair guy in anime?

RedTea33 - 5 minutes ago

1 by tchitchouan »»
26 seconds ago

» Does it bother you to think how much time we burn waiting for new anime?

Zimmu - 4 hours ago

24 by RedTea33 »»
3 minutes ago

» Genre/theme you’re not interested in ? ( 1 2 )

Yonahim_Zz - Yesterday

64 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
4 minutes ago

» Best Orange-hair guy in anime

RedTea33 - Yesterday

10 by RedTea33 »»
10 minutes ago

» Overall are you happy with anime released these past few seasons/years lately? :)

Rinrinka - 2 hours ago

14 by BitChilly »»
30 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.