Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 9, 7:50 PM

Apr 2023
Doesn’t it feel wrong to see an elf chowing down on a huge pile of meat? Aren’t they supposed to be vegetarian?
SwagsOnBFeb 9, 7:57 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 9, 8:02 PM
Jul 2022
SwagsOnB said:
Doesn’t it feel wrong to see an elf chowing down on a huge pile of meat? Aren’t they supposed to be vegetarian?

Since when did elves have to be vegan
Feb 9, 8:04 PM
Jul 2023
SwagsOnB said:

Thats a bit racist against elves lmao
(im joking)
Feb 9, 8:07 PM
Nov 2018
That's stereotyping saying all elves are vegetarians. It's like saying all dwarves are craftsmen.
Feb 9, 8:08 PM
Mar 2023
Is all elves being vegan a thing?
Feb 9, 8:09 PM

Sep 2016
Reminds me of a different anime where MC assumes elves are vegan and is surprised when they aren't.

This is you.
bruh
Feb 9, 8:27 PM
Nov 2018
@FullyCharged Hikari in Farming in Another World? "I thought elves didn't eat meat, don't use fire and respect nature"
MoppitFeb 9, 8:30 PM
Feb 9, 8:41 PM
Nov 2020
What you talking about???
Feb 9, 8:45 PM

Jan 2023
I find it hilarious to see Frieren wielding a giant plate of steaks.

"You win this round. You doggies."
Feb 9, 8:46 PM
May 2012
No, elves are hunters and gatherers, not exactly farmers they do hunt animals but they are very respectful of nature. They coexist in the forest, they don't take more than they need.
Frieren had a plate of meat larger than her body which makes sense for anime.
Anime often have a strong culinary sense of meat but in reality the Japanese are not big consumers of meat but of fish, probably this derives from the fact that in the past meat was a rare and precious food.
Eating a lot of meat also has a meaning of well-being, abandonment and celebration.
Feb 9, 9:07 PM

Mar 2013
Fern: Sweets > Meat 😳
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Feb 9, 9:29 PM
Jul 2023
blud thinks elves and forest fairies are the same thing💀
Feb 9, 9:30 PM

Aug 2011
She has a big stomach for someone living over 1000 years
Feb 9, 10:00 PM
Aug 2020
Elves are fictional so the rules that apply to them are different in each fictional universe.

For example in one (I can't remember off the top of my head) there is a sub type of elf that has an entirely carnivore based diet.
Feb 9, 10:24 PM
Nov 2020
Nah frieren likes it meaty 🤤
Feb 9, 10:54 PM
Feb 2022
SwagsOnB said:

nope the elf is always doing the right thing to do
Feb 9, 10:56 PM

Mar 2013
I've seen plenty of anime where elves swallow meat. It is a fetish, ain't it?
Feb 9, 10:57 PM
Dec 2019
FullyCharged said:
Reminds me of a different anime where MC assumes elves are vegan and is surprised when they aren't.

This is you.

Happened in Farming in another world
Feb 9, 10:57 PM

Jan 2009
first time im hearing that elves should be vegan
Feb 10, 12:17 AM

Jun 2016
Just because they like Lembas doesn't mean they're vegan.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Feb 10, 12:26 AM

Oct 2022
Frieren being based as always.
When a pancake lover does something: "Outrageous vicious crime"

When a waffle lover does something: "That means it is not illegal"

Quotes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld_HIM667Do&t=2822s
Feb 10, 12:29 AM

Jun 2023
SwagsOnB said:

That's illogical to think
My candies -

Feb 10, 12:43 AM
Nov 2022
Moppit said:
@FullyCharged Hikari in Farming in Another World? "I thought elves didn't eat meat, don't use fire and respect nature"

Buddy. That’s from a anime. Anime is the worst type of fiction to baseline facts about things.

Still this thread is hilarious. No harm in it being about vegans.
Feb 10, 1:38 AM
Apr 2019
As the elves from Isekai Nonbiri Nouka said, "You won't make it out alive if you're that picky about food."
Feb 10, 2:15 AM

Jul 2015
There is like one piece of fiction I've seen where elves have to be vegan. Literally only one.

Feb 10, 2:23 AM

Sep 2016
I was wondering the same thing after I saw the Frieren Mini Episode 9 with the fish they didn't eat.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/56885/Sousou_no_Frieren_no_Mahou
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Feb 10, 2:34 AM
May 2021
Ppl like u have no brain cells fckn hell.
Feb 10, 3:36 AM
Oct 2020
SwagsOnB said:

No... what're you talking about bro 😂😂😂
Feb 10, 5:36 AM
Dec 2018
SwagsOnB said:

We all know that, right.
All elves in real life are vegetarian just like real dwarves are all craftsmens.
Feb 10, 5:44 AM

Apr 2012
To be fair to the op,
Elves have been portrayed as vegans in Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. Elves in those books are also immortal. I'm guessing the author of Frieren took inspiration from the fact that Elves are immortal but choose to make them have a complete diet of all types of foods.

It seems Elves aren't vegans since they love consuming milk.
Janethan23Feb 10, 5:47 AM
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Feb 10, 6:01 AM
Nov 2023
SwagsOnB said:

I guess so but it's anime so..
Feb 10, 6:05 AM

Apr 2013
Some verse have them vegans, some don't.
Feb 10, 6:06 AM
Dec 2022
seems like you are elvinising elves🗣️☠️
Feb 10, 6:18 AM
Apr 2021
SwagsOnB said:

thats like saying Frieren feels wrong cause Elves should be archers XD
Feb 10, 6:23 AM
Oct 2022
If she was the elf from Restaurant to Another World (Fardania), but elves aren't a monolith. Especially, since, you know, they span different story worlds.
Feb 10, 6:23 AM

Oct 2007
let her eat what she wants. She even used up her savings to get the delicious pile of steak!
Feb 10, 7:56 AM
Jul 2022
No way. Elves hunt and kill in almost every instance of lore I've ever read, watched, or played. Even the different elf races in WoW are getting animated with damn fangs. No way they aren't tearing into delicious juicy animal flesh. 😋
Feb 10, 8:36 AM
Nov 2018
@Buny0058 I know it's from an anime. There's no actual thing about an elf diet. I was just answering a guy inquiry about anime someone being ignorant about elves. I don't know how to post pictures, but the scene in the anime continues. The elf responds with, "That living is survival of the fittest and they would die without using any and all tools available to them"
Feb 10, 8:38 AM

Jan 2009
It's more of a recent japanese view that elves are vegan, in all other takes, either from mythology or tolkien where most elven ideas come from, elves have no problems eating meat, they just do not take or kill what they do not need, and are very "in tune" with nature.
Now that i think about it, even fairies aren't portrayed as vegan, anything roughly humanoid in mythology is omnivorous if i remember right, though there are some, like elves that supposedly prefer things like fruits and sweets, but that does not mean they don't eat meat.
Feb 10, 8:41 AM
Nov 2022
Moppit said:
@Buny0058 I know it's from an anime. There's no actual thing about an elf diet. I was just answering a guy inquiry about anime someone being ignorant about elves. I don't know how to post pictures, but the scene in the anime continues. The elf responds with, "That living is survival of the fittest and they would die without using any and all tools available to them"

Ahhh. I see. Speaking of elf diet’s. There was a plus sized elf anime announcement it’ill air this year.
Feb 10, 8:51 AM

Mar 2021
mfs when someone eats food 🤯🤯🤯😱😱😱🤬🤬😡😡😡😡😡😡
Feb 10, 10:08 AM

May 2015
Not in the slightest, besides if she were vegan she'd just be an insufferable twit.
Feb 10, 10:18 AM
Jun 2022
Vegans are trash 😊 menace to society. Let people eat whatever they want.
And good people like frieren deserve to enjoy good tasty meat dish 😌
Feb 10, 12:18 PM

Apr 2012
Fieren is not Tolkien's elf, why shouldn't she eat meat? In addition, she may well have free culinary preferences, since she lived for centuries without seeing any other elf.
Feb 10, 12:29 PM

Jan 2014
no, if elfs were vegan they would be way to weak and fragile to do anything, vegans are people that gave up living, Elfs tend to be immortal in stories, they sure didn't give up living.
Feb 10, 1:41 PM

Oct 2014
Reply to MadLane
no, if elfs were vegan they would be way to weak and fragile to do anything, vegans are people that gave up living, Elfs tend to be immortal in stories, they sure didn't give up living.
@MadLane A lot of the strongest animals on earth are herbivores. "Vegan" as a concept is a human idea. If elves in their world were herbivores there'd be no reason they couldn't be strong, and it would be illogical to think they've given up on living, since that would just be what their body was built for and what their society advocates for. There's more than enough nutrients in plant foods to sustain powerful beasts.

That all being said, similar creatures in different fantasy worlds don't have to all be the same, so even if elves in one franchise are herbivores it doesn't mean elves in other stories can't eat meat.
Feb 10, 2:07 PM

Jan 2014
Reply to zombie_pegasus
@MadLane A lot of the strongest animals on earth are herbivores. "Vegan" as a concept is a human idea. If elves in their world were herbivores there'd be no reason they couldn't be strong, and it would be illogical to think they've given up on living, since that would just be what their body was built for and what their society advocates for. There's more than enough nutrients in plant foods to sustain powerful beasts.

That all being said, similar creatures in different fantasy worlds don't have to all be the same, so even if elves in one franchise are herbivores it doesn't mean elves in other stories can't eat meat.
@zombie_pegasus carnivores are always stronger than herbivores, it's the natural selection of predator vs prey, any animal in human form has to be a carnivore, i would say that even in fantasy it would make no sense for a human looking species to be herbivore, you have to take away all logic for that to be realistic,
after all just imagine 1 change in nature, lets make Elephants carnivore, now witness how humans easily go to shit and so does most animals, there is a reason why T-Rex ruled they way he did, huge + carnivore = God on earth, T-rex would have been a joke if a braquiosaurio had been a carnivore XD

So yeah elves have be eat meat or else they can't be strong, imagine herbivore orcs XD they want to eat plants and dance, not much danger. all i'm saying is carnivores develop power and skills because they need to hunt and kill to eat, you can't expect plant eater to ever have a chance in a fight or dominate the food chain.
MadLaneFeb 10, 2:12 PM
Feb 10, 2:26 PM

May 2021
SwagsOnB said:

No, who said elves had to be vegetarian or vegan? Frieren's free to eat whatever she wants
What debating with DigiCat is like according to APolygons2
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
Feb 10, 2:41 PM

Oct 2014
Reply to MadLane
@zombie_pegasus carnivores are always stronger than herbivores, it's the natural selection of predator vs prey, any animal in human form has to be a carnivore, i would say that even in fantasy it would make no sense for a human looking species to be herbivore, you have to take away all logic for that to be realistic,
after all just imagine 1 change in nature, lets make Elephants carnivore, now witness how humans easily go to shit and so does most animals, there is a reason why T-Rex ruled they way he did, huge + carnivore = God on earth, T-rex would have been a joke if a braquiosaurio had been a carnivore XD

So yeah elves have be eat meat or else they can't be strong, imagine herbivore orcs XD they want to eat plants and dance, not much danger. all i'm saying is carnivores develop power and skills because they need to hunt and kill to eat, you can't expect plant eater to ever have a chance in a fight or dominate the food chain.
@MadLane Herbivores have the ability to get bigger and stronger than carnivores because the resources they use are more plentiful. There are some large carnivores, like polar bears, but that's a harder niche to occupy. We might imagine a carnivorous version of a herbivore being stronger, but it would probably be a lot smaller if it was a carnivore because there's just not enough meat to satiate the body of an elephant or a giraffe on meat alone, at least on land. Carnivorous animals have to waste a lot of time and energy to hunt enough meat. An omnivorous diet makes enough sense for an intelligent animal, though, since they don't have to deal with the inefficiencies of relying solely on a less available resource but can still take advantage of meat when it's available to them. Even a lot of animals we think of as being herbivorous will eat insects and even the occasional small vertebrate because they might as well if it's easy enough to catch. Gorillas are stronger versions of humans and they're herbivores.

Humans are a weird exception to this because of agriculture. For every 1 kg of humans on the earth there are 2kg of livestock raised specifically to feed the humans. Meat is a crazy inefficient source of food but if you can breed the animals yourself then you can just brute force enough of it into existence to feed a large population. Without agriculture there's no way a large species that gets a large percentage of their calories from meat could have a high population. A race existing on meat alone simply wouldn't be able to achieve much because there wouldn't be too many of them and they'd waste most of their time gathering meat.

Another interesting thing is how important rice has been to Asian's large population. Rice contains more calories per acre of land it takes to produce than other grains, meaning you can feed a bigger population with it. It takes an astronomical amount of land to feed the same population with meat. In those places that live by the sea they also eat a fair bit of fish, and fish can even live in the rice patties, as a nice bonus. Being a herbivore isn't exactly the best strat for something like an elf, but it's still a lot better than being a carnivore. Omnivore would be the easiest imo.
zombie_pegasusFeb 10, 2:53 PM
Feb 10, 3:06 PM
Jan 2017
Stereotypes about different species should be eliminated.

Recognize the diversity of elves.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Would you consider frieren the best anime of all time? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

AunixHOT - Apr 23

203 by Hachii13 »»
3 hours ago

» Land: Anime’s Greatest Glasses-Kun

Bolbysaur - Yesterday

14 by Gloozed »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Which mage would you rather have as your mentor?

Moonshine_cookie - Apr 30

31 by Ba-Cii10 »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2023

355 by nanajp »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 26

263 by TanedaKaori »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.