Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 7, 1:51 PM
Jul 2023
Non-mainstream means no Gundam or NGE

I watched several mecha anime that are from the late 90s/early 2000s that I disliked, liked or loved, I watched RahXephon, Gasaraki, Betterman, Blue Gender and Argento Soma but dropped Brain Powerd. I disliked Betterman, liked RahXephon and Argento Soma but loved Gasaraki and Blue Gender (both created by Ryousuke Takahashi, known for Votoms and Dougram).

Blue Gender is my overall favorite mecha anime (mainstream or not), the show has in my opinion a great post-apocalyptic setting with two very good arcs (one on earth and the other mostly in space) , it shows the army fighting against giants bugs and monsters, the military operations are unsurprisingly realistic (Takahashi is known for them in his animes), it has gory scenes and shows organs as well (the creator/director of MD Geist, Cybernetics Guardian and Genocyber which is Ohata worked on them since it is the same studio which is AIC), depicts sex between military men and women (between women too), its conspiracy subplot is entertaining to watch, there is some adventure and romance is an important part of the story. The mechas are inspired by those in MD Geist. The last battle is entertaining.

Looking forward to your comments
WitherThrakhFeb 7, 2:02 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 7, 1:54 PM

Sep 2018
Cross Ange would be my 1st choice for good niche mecha.
Feb 7, 1:57 PM
Feb 2018
my favorite mecha anime is either tenchi muyo war on geminar or knight & magic
Feb 7, 2:13 PM

May 2023
Cross Ange is very interesting.­­

Feb 7, 2:17 PM

Dec 2015
Hmmm some Gundam sub-series are not as mainstream as main series tbh.

Here's some mechas I enjoyed at any point in the past as I don't change my ratings [Those which are tagged as Mecha in A+/Mal]:
86, Aldnoah Zero, Code Geass, Blame, FLCL, Guilty Crown, Heavy Object, G-Witch of the Mercury, Gits Sac, Muv-Luv Alternative Total Eclipse, Promare, Robotics;Notes,

Feb 7, 2:25 PM

Jun 2019
My pick would be Armored Trooper VOTOMS

I really like these ones too

Patlabor franchise
Space Runnaway Ideon
Round Vernian Vifam
Aura Battler Dunbine
Blue Gender
GaoGaiGar (only Yuusha anime I've seen)
Rahxephon
Spt Layzner
Bokurano
Feb 7, 2:37 PM

Sep 2018
1. Promare
2. Cross Ange
3. Gunbuster

Honorable Mentions: Back Arrow and maybe also Trapped in a Dating Sim could have been up there if only they had been made by better studios
Feb 7, 2:44 PM

Dec 2023
I liked Brave command dagwon its really unknown in the west since it never got any official english release even though every episode is subbed online now, its kinda has a super sentai vibe to it which I dig. I remember this other obscure anime called Gulkeeva that I liked alot too and I'm pretty sure it had mecha in it haha i haven't seen it in 10 years though.
Feb 7, 2:44 PM

Apr 2020
it's that mecha isekai
Knight's & Magic

Feb 7, 2:45 PM

Dec 2012
My absolute favorite would be Infinite Ryvius (Mugen no Ryvius)

A space station full of astronaut trainees is attacked and sabotaged by a group of trained soldiers for unknown reasons during a dangerous procedure. The instructors are killed in an attempt to save the students. Now several hundred survivors, most of them teenagers, must learn to live and work together on a cramped top secret experimental ship that shouldn't even exist, with limited supplies, under constant external and intern threats.

Some other less popular ones are:
KruszerFeb 7, 3:08 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Feb 7, 3:01 PM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
Tenkuu no Escaflowne is fantastic imho. The mecha fights are well animated and the soundtrack creates a great atmosphere.
Feb 7, 3:04 PM
Jul 2023
Reply to Kruszer
My absolute favorite would be Infinite Ryvius (Mugen no Ryvius)

A space station full of astronaut trainees is attacked and sabotaged by a group of trained soldiers for unknown reasons during a dangerous procedure. The instructors are killed in an attempt to save the students. Now several hundred survivors, most of them teenagers, must learn to live and work together on a cramped top secret experimental ship that shouldn't even exist, with limited supplies, under constant external and intern threats.

Some other less popular ones are:
@Kruszer Blue Gender is in my top 5 on my profile
Feb 7, 3:07 PM
Jul 2023
Reply to Soap

Patlabor franchise
Space Runnaway Ideon
Round Vernian Vifam
Aura Battler Dunbine
Blue Gender
Rahxephon
Spt Layzner
Bokurano
@SoapySamurai Blue Gender is in my top 5 on my profile
Feb 7, 3:16 PM

Oct 2016
I love Blue Gender as well though it's not in my top 10, and not my favourite mecha.

I love Tekkaman Blade, which is a power suit type of mecha with some similarities to that title, in setting.
Feb 7, 3:37 PM

Aug 2020
GitS SAC (if it counts)
SSSS.Gridman
Patlabor (ova + 2 movies)

I haven't seen Dynazenon nor Gridman Universe. Are they worth it?
Feb 7, 4:03 PM
Jul 2023
Reply to CaptainKenshiro
I love Blue Gender as well though it's not in my top 10, and not my favourite mecha.

I love Tekkaman Blade, which is a power suit type of mecha with some similarities to that title, in setting.
@CaptainKenshiro Blue Gender is in my overall top 5 on my profile

Speaking of Tekkaman Blade, Ishiro Itano did Blassreiter which I loved.
Feb 7, 7:55 PM

Jul 2022
Metal Armor Dragonar sunrise first attempt of an alternate universe Gundam, Dancouga pure 80s awesomness , Daimos , Dairugger XV, Tetsujin Grandfather of the genre and of Couse Mazinger Z.

SPTLayznerFeb 7, 8:09 PM
Feb 7, 8:02 PM

Dec 2022

Betterman. It's a very peculiar watch that I don't expect to find the likes of again any time soon, but it's captivating nonetheless.

Shaded Horizon

Feb 7, 8:20 PM

Feb 2020
Frame Arms Girl is my favorite mecha anime.
Feb 8, 12:32 AM

Jan 2023
To be completely honest, I haven't seen a lot of mecha and this is not my favorite genre, but I thought the following series had an interesting (and fairly original) plot, I liked them:

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet
Lagrange: The Flower of Rin-ne
The Price of Smiles
Feb 8, 12:42 AM

Oct 2021
For me, it's The Vision of Escaflowne.
Feb 8, 12:44 AM

Apr 2012
I think all the mecha anime I like are at least somewhat mainstream. But Gunbuster is one of my favourites, and I'm sure a lot of people here don't know of it.
Feb 8, 1:31 AM
Jul 2023
Reply to Archean-Return

Betterman. It's a very peculiar watch that I don't expect to find the likes of again any time soon, but it's captivating nonetheless.
@Archean-Return disliked it, cool concept but main characters are too young
Feb 8, 1:35 AM
Jul 2023
Reply to SPTLayzner
Metal Armor Dragonar sunrise first attempt of an alternate universe Gundam, Dancouga pure 80s awesomness , Daimos , Dairugger XV, Tetsujin Grandfather of the genre and of Couse Mazinger Z.

@SPTLayzner Speaking of Mazinger Z, I loved The Devil Lady (1998) written by Chiaki Konaka and originally created by Go Nagai (Mazinger Z creator), it is in my top 5 on my profile
Feb 8, 1:46 AM

Apr 2010
Sidonia no Kishi and Star Driver, probably.
Feb 8, 2:05 AM
Jun 2021
For now it's Sentou Mecha Xabungle. Also my personal favorite comedy anime.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Feb 8, 2:08 AM

Jan 2024
Brigadoon is something I don't see anyone talk about. It is part of the Gao Gai Gar universe as is this here:

Archean-Return said:

Also Scryed.
Feb 8, 2:18 AM

Sep 2016
Expelled from Paradise was a fairly enjoyable mecha movie despite the heavy use of 3DCGI, sequel is in the making.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Feb 8, 4:26 AM

Mar 2012
I've hardly watched a few mecha but I like Kakumeiki Valrave
Feb 8, 4:36 AM
Dec 2018
Probably Fang of the Sun Dougram and the Testsujin 2004 anime
Feb 8, 1:46 PM

Jul 2014
Patlabor 2. It's one of Mamoru Oshii's very best films but barely gets talked about. It's gorgeously directed and animated while brilliantly dealing with sociopolitical issues that are still just as depressingly relevant today as they were when the film was released 30 years ago.
Take care of yourself

Feb 8, 1:53 PM

Jan 2021
I don't really like giant robots so I haven't seen very many but Dancougar was enjoyable.
Feb 8, 3:01 PM

Oct 2020
Going to have to go with Knights of Sidonia. It gave me Battlestar Galactica vibes in the 1st season.

Feb 9, 2:05 AM

May 2018
Nobody talks about Obsolete - https://myanimelist.net/anime/40438/Obsolete maybe because its 3D CGI visuals are kind of jarring, but the political and social comments are quite interesting.

Other stuff - Orguss 02 OVA (it's TV prequel is trash tho), Sousei no Aquarion, Zone of the Enders: Idolo and Zone of the Enders: Dolores.
alshuFeb 9, 2:09 AM
Feb 9, 4:42 AM

Oct 2020
Reply to alshu
Nobody talks about Obsolete - https://myanimelist.net/anime/40438/Obsolete maybe because its 3D CGI visuals are kind of jarring, but the political and social comments are quite interesting.

Other stuff - Orguss 02 OVA (it's TV prequel is trash tho), Sousei no Aquarion, Zone of the Enders: Idolo and Zone of the Enders: Dolores.
alshu said:
The Synopsis of that show sounds interesting. I've got that on my plan to watch list and may watch it this weekend.

Feb 9, 5:01 AM

Apr 2011
Reply to Soap

Patlabor franchise
Space Runnaway Ideon
Round Vernian Vifam
Aura Battler Dunbine
Blue Gender
Rahxephon
Spt Layzner
Bokurano
@SoapySamurai

I came to say VOTOMS too. It's better than Gundam, and I'll die on this hill.

Also, Megaton Musashi is underrated.
Feb 9, 7:45 AM
Jul 2023
Reply to IKKIsama
@SoapySamurai

I came to say VOTOMS too. It's better than Gundam, and I'll die on this hill.

Also, Megaton Musashi is underrated.
@IKKIsama Blue Gender and Gasaraki (by VOTOMS and Dougram's creator) are both worth watching
Feb 9, 8:01 AM
VA-11 HALL-A

Aug 2014
Sidonia no Kishi for me. I'm not a big fan of mecha or space themed stuff, but the series ended up being actually pretty damn good.

"𝚃𝚒𝚖𝚎 𝚝𝚘 𝚖𝚒𝚡 𝚍𝚛𝚒𝚗𝚔𝚜 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚎 𝚕𝚒𝚟𝚎𝚜."
☆ 𝙰𝚗𝚒𝚖𝚎 𝙻𝚒𝚜𝚝 ☆
☆ 𝚅𝙽𝙳𝚋 ☆
☆ 𝙱𝚊𝚌𝚔𝚕𝚘𝚐𝚐𝚎𝚛𝚢 ☆
Feb 9, 8:09 AM
Jul 2022
Does Metallic Rouge count as non-mainstream? I don't watch too many mechas but I picked up that seasonal abt a week ago and saw two episodes. I like it a lot.
“𝐋𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐚𝐭 𝐦𝐲 𝐞𝐲𝐞𝐬, 𝐅𝐚𝐲𝐞. 𝐎𝐧𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐦 𝐢𝐬 𝐚 𝐟𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐜𝐚𝐮𝐬𝐞 𝐈 𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐢𝐭 𝐢𝐧 𝐚𝐧 𝐚𝐜𝐜𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐧𝐭. 𝐒𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐧, 𝐈’𝐯𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐬𝐞𝐞𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐚𝐬𝐭 𝐢𝐧 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐞𝐲𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫.”

Feb 9, 8:11 AM

Feb 2019
Mobile Police Patlabor Series (especially the movies)

Feb 9, 8:13 AM

Jan 2009
star driver and promare and gridman
Feb 9, 8:35 AM
Aug 2008
Lots of good ones but I really like Dai-Guard.
Feb 10, 5:53 PM

May 2021
Eureka SeveN
Macross Delta Movies
Patlabor
GaoGaiGar
Full Metal Panic!
Getter Robo Armageddon
Giant Robo the Animation
Densetsu no Yuusha Da-Garn

Mecha is my favorite genre, so I had a bit of a hard time whittling down the list.
Infamous_EmpireFeb 10, 5:58 PM
Barely catching my breath!
Lay my eyes on the crest!
Gonna square up to all of the heat that is left!
So I carry the torch! To Inferno! Inferno!
Feb 10, 6:51 PM
Jan 2018
Reply to Ex-Aid
Brigadoon is something I don't see anyone talk about. It is part of the Gao Gai Gar universe as is this here:

Archean-Return said:

Also Scryed.
@senaen If you are talking about Brigadoon: Marin to Melan, it is indeed the shit. It goes to pretty dark places tho.
Feb 10, 7:07 PM
Jan 2018
I gotta keep it a 100. No mecha anime outside of TTGL and Gundam is topping the Vision of Escaflowne anime. That anime was revolutionary then and is still solid now.

People of culture have already shouted out Star Driver and Cross Ange. They even knew about how great Megaton Musashi, Knights of Sidonia and Blue Gender are. So I will represent for the anime no has said yet.

Orguss is the shit. And I bet it's ending is better than the ending in your favorite mecha anime. That's how you do a twist ending right there.

Revisions got a ton of hate that I never understood. I love that anime with my heart and soul. They somehow found a fresh way to involve high schoolers and mechs, even after all this time.

Majestic Prince is great. Also, genuinely fun, not "weird" fun and funny like most mecha anime are. The sequel movie is some othe most impressive mecha CGI I have ever seen in a movie. Which isn't super surprising if you watch any of the anime that put Studio Orange on the map.

I watch X'amd: Lost Memories for the first time last year. It was really enjoyable. It's a cut above most BONES mecha anime but has a typical BONES anime non ending, so watch it with caution. The way they integrated mecha was really fun. I wish mecha had a bigger role in the show.

Big O hasn't been mentioned by any one yet. Which is wild, because next to Gridman and Dynazenon, no other mecha anime is such a blatant fan letter to super robots that also has GREAT animation!

My last pick is Full Metal Panic:Invisible Victory, aka XEBEC's last anime before they were shut down. While the middle of the anime is not great, to put it mildly, the first couple episodes and the last few are ball to wall action and spectacle. It's really impressive stuff, which makes it that much sadder that FMP is pretty much dead as far as getting another anime adaption. While the first two seasons were somewhat popular, almost no one watched Invisible Victory.
Feb 10, 7:25 PM

Feb 2023
Mine is a very obscure, indie title. You probably haven't heard of it. It's called Attack on Titan.
Feb 12, 1:31 AM

Jan 2020
Knights of Sidonia purely for the badass intro by angela.

« »
🍙 Koizumi Hanayo
Dareka Tasukete!!!
Feb 12, 5:51 AM

Dec 2010
Break Blade/Broken Blade, I love the concept and execution of the Mechas there. The rugged feeling to the designs and the fights themselves always gave off a very true to life and authentic impression.
Feb 12, 7:03 AM

Feb 2018

The MACROSS Franchise. The Series that Got Me into Anime to Begin with... a quarter-century ago.

Mainstream... insofar as an Aging, mainly-GenX'er primary fanbase goes,
but Decidedly Niche amongst the vast masses of the greater worldwide Anime fan community at large...

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What exactly makes someone an elitist?

AV-25-MU - 4 hours ago

21 by Nirinbo »»
1 minute ago

» Why do people like consuming media watching specifically opposite sex get together? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Oshieteoshiete4 - Apr 29

200 by AV-25-MU »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime worlds you would rather live in

ST63LTH - 3 hours ago

18 by RumpelstiltskinX »»
3 minutes ago

» What's the most important feature in an anime for you?

new_Ango - 27 minutes ago

7 by tchitchouan »»
11 minutes ago

» What does it mean when you rate an anime 6? ( 1 2 )

Akuya - Yesterday

88 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.