Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 1, 2023 6:30 AM

Nov 2011
TROYCA's new original show didn't waste much time getting into the cars and tracks. Characters such as the photographer Kouya and Haruka are introduced so far. While we don't know too much about them yet, there's a feeling of personality clash among the cast already. Haruka seems like a very serious and determined character. Ariko seems like the comic relief of the show. Futoshi might also be someone worthy to keep an eye on.

I think the animation style works for this anime although it's not groundbreaking or anything. Realistically, I believe the story of this show to be interesting imo.

Oct 1, 2023 6:30 AM

Jul 2017
A TROYCA sports series, hopefully this is not as bad as Lay-Duce's horse racing Fanfare, which sucked bad.

The freelance photographer Koya Madoka goes to the racetrack, accompanied by his chief editor Saeko Yukihira, he's there to catch all of the action for the Super GT. Especially the sport that's making all of the traction: Formula 4 a.k.a F4, of which his friend Noritsune Ena is the owner of a race team, along with the talented new star of Satsuki Harunaga and Toshiki Tokumaru. F4 at the very least is for the enthusiastic, and the beef of the two between Haruka "Chicane" Asahina and his mechanic Koutarou Komaki is one for the ages.

For Koya, this brings up a past issue, though privateers like Komaki Motors having Haruka are hoping to be noticed by the big guns to race progressively in the future. This brings Koya to the F4 racetrack where its team owner Futoshi Komaki shows him around, especially focusing on their only driver Haruka. Everything works just like F1 rules, and TROYCA's animation is smooth and swift. But Haruka hit a snag after his tyres went out due to wear and tear, and Koya's fate changed right then and there to give his full support for Komaki Motors.

OOF, this show has competition with MF Ghost this season, ON THE SAME DAY. Hope it'll be good competition.
KANLen09Oct 7, 2023 1:50 AM
Oct 1, 2023 6:34 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to KANLen09
A TROYCA sports series, hopefully this is not as bad as Lay-Duce's horse racing Fanfare, which sucked bad.

The freelance photographer Koya Madoka goes to the racetrack, accompanied by his chief editor Saeko Yukihira, he's there to catch all of the action for the Super GT. Especially the sport that's making all of the traction: Formula 4 a.k.a F4, of which his friend Noritsune Ena is the owner of a race team, along with the talented new star of Satsuki Harunaga and Toshiki Tokumaru. F4 at the very least is for the enthusiastic, and the beef of the two between Haruka "Chicane" Asahina and his mechanic Koutarou Komaki is one for the ages.

For Koya, this brings up a past issue, though privateers like Komaki Motors having Haruka are hoping to be noticed by the big guns to race progressively in the future. This brings Koya to the F4 racetrack where its team owner Futoshi Komaki shows him around, especially focusing on their only driver Haruka. Everything works just like F1 rules, and TROYCA's animation is smooth and swift. But Haruka hit a snag after his tyres went out due to wear and tear, and Koya's fate changed right then and there to give his full support for Komaki Motors.

OOF, this show has competition with MF Ghost this season, ON THE SAME DAY. Hope it'll be good competition.
@KANLen09, maybe as MF Ghost is written by the Initial D author.
Oct 1, 2023 6:46 AM

Aug 2014
Aldnoah.Racing!!! Let’s go.
Oct 1, 2023 7:35 AM
Aug 2021
As a Formula 1 fan, I'm invested (while this is F4). The pain of rooting for a car only for it to crash felt all too real.
It's introducing a lot of new information to none racing fans though, which serve as a good intro into the sport, but might not be gripping for outsider yet. i want to see more of our underdog MC next ep.
Oct 1, 2023 8:12 AM

Mar 2021
This was a fantastic opening episode am a huge Motorsport fan and I can tell this is going to be a great series to watch
Oct 1, 2023 8:43 AM
Dec 2014
Reply to Reecey91
This was a fantastic opening episode am a huge Motorsport fan and I can tell this is going to be a great series to watch
@Reecey91 exactly, this anime works so well for Motorsport fans but for non-fans going to be a tough watch since they will spend more time trying to understand the lore of the sport (and I am one of them lol)
Oct 1, 2023 8:45 AM

Jan 2022
Reply to MadLadOfCulture
@Reecey91 exactly, this anime works so well for Motorsport fans but for non-fans going to be a tough watch since they will spend more time trying to understand the lore of the sport (and I am one of them lol)
Would that be an Ao Ashi vs. Blue Lock situation then?
Oct 1, 2023 8:49 AM

Feb 2012
Welp, Sunday is car anime day now.

Imagine if Kouya didn't wander around so much and it became a Super GT anime 😜

A team with so few sponsors: it's noticeable when they are out on the track with those that do. Does Kouya have enough dough to sponsor them, though? Is it out of his own wages?

This being a Troyca original is very apparent; the two main chars look and act straight outta Aldnoah.Zero. Kouya especially since he has PTSD like Kouichiro
Unlike Inaho, Haruka's stoic persona is a front and sheds tears in secret.
Fortress_MaximusOct 1, 2023 8:53 AM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Oct 1, 2023 8:54 AM

Feb 2021
For a racing photographer, he surely doesn't know anything about motorsports.
I liked how they used that as a way to teach the audience about the very basics.

So far the show looks good, finally some proper formula racing anime, I can't remember the last time we had one.
Oct 1, 2023 9:00 AM
Aug 2020
it was not bad, I want to see more...

it's something new so why not...
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Oct 1, 2023 9:01 AM

Jun 2013
Oh wow a lot of real world cars and sponsors names, that's a surprise.
Oct 1, 2023 9:03 AM
Jul 2023
Quite a good start, character animations is very smooth , and the emotions characters trying to convey really felt genuine.
MainnusOct 1, 2023 11:18 AM
Oct 1, 2023 9:04 AM
Jun 2022
2005 European GP last lap moment right there

I like they give some explanation to the basic rules and terms in motorsports: Yellow flags, formation laps, tire warm ups. And also the true requirement of participating in motorsport itself: Talent and (unfortunately) money.

It would've been cool if they use more of the overhead cam/angle like the ones in your normal Formula series, maybe I'm just used to it lol.
Oct 1, 2023 9:19 AM
May 2019
MF ghost premiere was slightly better but both are good. Just hoping that overtake won't turn into a ga3 series
Oct 1, 2023 9:29 AM
Nov 2019
What’s with the low score ?

I know heaps of cars guys who are into anime ??

Where are you people ??
Oct 1, 2023 9:52 AM

Jun 2014
daaaamn this is the first time i see a beautiful crying scene T_T
I wonder what made Madoka afraid of taking pictures, seems like drowning accident or something.
I'm interested to see how this go. very heartbreaking what happened at the race and glad he decided to sponsor them.
Oct 1, 2023 9:56 AM

Jul 2022
a solid first episode. Koya is a likeable character. I am not into car racing but I am ready to learn a thing or two.
I am out with lanterns looking for myself.

-- emily dickinson --
Oct 1, 2023 10:08 AM

Mar 2018
Reply to Hashiriya_weeb87

Where are you people ??
@Hashiriya_weeb87 it happens all the time with non-sequel seasonals on this site, don't pay too much attention to it.
Oct 1, 2023 10:10 AM
Jan 2019
A very solid first episode. Mostly covers the basics of Motorsports for the non-motorsport watchers. As a racing degenerate myself ill see myself very much enjoying this anime as long as it doesnt go catastrophic
Oct 1, 2023 10:12 AM
Jun 2019
MadanielFL said:
I liked how they used that as a way to teach the audience about the very basics.

So far the show looks good, finally some proper formula racing anime, I can't remember the last time we had one.

don't think he was a motorsports photographer before tho
Oct 1, 2023 10:17 AM

Jul 2022
Open-wheeled racing show, sign me up! Love the F4 setting and look forward to where this one will go.
Oct 1, 2023 10:18 AM
Sep 2015
Is this the first time ever that there are two racing anime in the same season?

It's quite interesting that we're indirectly follow the sports through the reporter instead of follow the player directly, this could be the first among sports anime. But in the end that reporter want to directly involve with the team, that could lead to a "Giant Killing" situation where the lead character is some kind of manager of the team.

Oh, and it's nice to see a real brand name in anime instead of parody name. Which is to be expected since the Formula 4 itself is copyrighted so all media portrayal about F4 must follow some kind of regulation by FIA.

I just notice that these drivers have small body frame, presumably lightweight too. I learned that lightweith is preferably in horseracing (through horceracing anime of course) but since the car is driven by motor, shouldn't the weight of the player a negligible factor?
Oct 1, 2023 10:36 AM

Mar 2019
It smells like an average anime, well, let's see where this goes... 🏎️
Oct 1, 2023 10:46 AM

Jan 2009
im guessing there should be some yaoi bait on this or maybe just bromance but i will still watch is as its enjoyable and racing anime is rare
Oct 1, 2023 10:56 AM
May 2017
Please more of racing and less of the stupid photographer. Seriously, even in racing anime we can never escape a spineless MC.
Oct 1, 2023 11:37 AM

Feb 2019
Wow one of the coolest original anime starts I’ve seen. Amazing first episode that had film like quality to it. Troyca’s last anime original, Shinobi no Ittoki, was awful so good to see them bouncing back with this.

As someone who doesn’t know much about Formula racing I found this to be a very informative and intriguing first episode. The use of the main character to teach the audience about the basics of professional racing is cool. I’m hoping the MC develops though, he’s kind of… “off” to say the least lol

The racing scenes are really good and the personalities of the characters really resonated with me. It’s one episode so it’ll be interesting to see how things go, but I like it so far. Cool to have two racing shows in the same season
Marinate1016Oct 1, 2023 11:42 AM
Oct 1, 2023 11:56 AM
Nov 2019
I am really happy with the first episode

The way they portray Fuji speed way
And show every thing from super Gt cars
The animation and the car designs are spot on!

It’s pretty realistic from a racing fan like my self

They did a good job

I am more hyped with this than MF ghost to be honest…

This is about cars real racing!

And during the first episode I noticed their teaching the audience about racing haha made me chuckle

To see super GT and other cars made my day!!
Oct 1, 2023 12:55 PM
Sep 2023
I loved the small details like the WEC 6h fuji and toyota gazoo racing sponsors.
Oct 1, 2023 1:10 PM
Aug 2015
Interesting take on racing, I like how it's more focused on the human side. ♥
Oct 1, 2023 1:23 PM

Sep 2020
phantomfandom said:
Is this the first time ever that there are two racing anime in the same season?

It's quite interesting that we're indirectly follow the sports through the reporter instead of follow the player directly, this could be the first among sports anime. But in the end that reporter want to directly involve with the team, that could lead to a "Giant Killing" situation where the lead character is some kind of manager of the team.

Oh, and it's nice to see a real brand name in anime instead of parody name. Which is to be expected since the Formula 4 itself is copyrighted so all media portrayal about F4 must follow some kind of regulation by FIA.

I just notice that these drivers have small body frame, presumably lightweight too. I learned that lightweith is preferably in horseracing (through horceracing anime of course) but since the car is driven by motor, shouldn't the weight of the player a negligible factor?

Most of the people racing on this level will be teenagers.

Weight plays a big difference, even 10 pounds can make you go a few tenths of a second slower over a lap.
Oct 1, 2023 1:32 PM

Sep 2020
"Let's have a guy vomit out the rulebook and explain everything about the racing series in episode 1, surely this won't be exposition overload!"

The pacing was a bit too fast in this episode imo. I'd prefer if we had more time with some of the other characters. It's probably because they only have 12 episodes to work with, while a series like Capeta had >50.

So far i am cautiously optimistic about this series. Hopefully this doesn't end up like Twocar where everything outside of the racing is incredibly boring.
Oct 1, 2023 3:15 PM

Dec 2021
An incendiary episode I can say, great pity that the tyres blew out and did not complete the race, if that did not happen he would definitely take 1st place, good luck next time and I hope he reaches F1
Oct 1, 2023 4:07 PM
Feb 2012
As someone who watches formula series down to Formula Regional by Alpine, this show feels pretty grounded at the moment.
I don't think it will be able to attract a large audience though, as the exposition was just info dumping on us. Some things are better left unexplained. For example instead of showing the yellow and then the incident, we should probably have seen the incident live, then the yellow, then the SC deployed, that way it's pretty clear what those things are without having to babysit the audience into understanding.
Let's see how this will go, and let's see if by miracle we get a Yuki Tsunoda cameo, like an interview or something. Would be super cool.
Oct 1, 2023 4:42 PM

Jul 2021
Yeah visuallly this looks better than the premiere of MF Ghost but story wise is just left to be desired at this moment.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Oct 1, 2023 4:55 PM
Mar 2021
this was a good start ! as a f1 fan i am very excited for this anime
Oct 1, 2023 5:06 PM
Mar 2021
Reply to MadanielFL

@MadanielFL but he isn't a racing photographer
Oct 1, 2023 5:19 PM

Dec 2016
If I had to evaluate this premiere in two words, those would be as "beautiful mess".

With Aoki Ei's big return to Troyca I'm kinda expecting something really big and impressive on the first episode (that's what I felt with Re:creators) IN this one, I feel there's a lot of motiffs and weirdly constructed storytelling that just annoys me. For starters, the very first minute of any visual work has to be impactful in terms of quality content. Providing a boring scene with haruka as a kid delivering newspapers is not only unflattering unnoriginal but rather pointless at this time (specially since he's introduced almost halfway point of the episode). yeah yeah, I know they are trying to play the good ol' "underdog" protag that started from the bottom and climbed his way up, but I certainly feel it could had been presented in a more dynamic way.

Then there's our narrator/MC who's also presented in quite a boring way with motiffs of a dark past that made him the hollow shell he's right now. I'm already questioning why if he's such a sloppy... What's he supposed to be? a photographer? newscaster? videographer? why is he traveling with an editor...? any news media group would had fired him or at the very least let him fly solo with reduced paycheck and do both jobs of taking pictures and editing/writing a story.

There's also something I consider a cinematographic sin. Adding flashbacks of content from the very same episode. Like seriously, we just saw Haruka talk big about how he's a lone wolf and he's going to win, we're not dum' nor forgetful so that we really need to see the same cuts 1 or even 2 more times. It also feels a bit cheesy that Madoka's slump was miraculously cured by watching Haruka doing his best on the track, but I'm kinda forgiving this a bit since watching Formula 1 and alike races live are quite exciting.

On the bright side, we got the lovely chara design and quite elaborate animation that mimics what Troyca did back in Re:creators and to be fair plenty of the CG shots in the races were quite nice (although some other with no 2D animation embedded looked a bit rough). There's also the introduction of Haruka a cocky rookie that has plenty of room to grow and some of the foundation has already being layed on, like his sloppy work not saving the tires or thinking this is a 1 guy job when it's always a team effort. It reminds me a lot of Days of Thunder movie.

I'll give this one the 3 episode rule, but more than likely I'll stick around longer just because it's a Troyca and Aoki Ei anime

KimurahOct 1, 2023 5:22 PM
Oct 1, 2023 5:23 PM

Feb 2019
Epic and promising
Oct 1, 2023 5:41 PM

Apr 2022
an original racing anime with a solid premier to boot? okay i'm hooked. animation looks great, never seen a formula racing anime but this did a solid job getting to it. no racing anime for a while and suddenly two in the same season, it'll be difficult to not compare this to MF Ghost.
solid osts as well but no eurobeat lol so that'll probably be the tiebreaker. very interested to see where the rest of this goes, high chance of this being one of my favorites of this season if all goes well.
Oct 1, 2023 6:27 PM
Oct 2020
Hashiriya_weeb87 said:

Where are you people ??

Initial scores are always lower and they even out as the day goes on. Like for now it's at a 7.3, which is about where it'll stay for now
Oct 1, 2023 8:33 PM

Apr 2008
The photographer's issue is awful cliche, but there's a charm here. Show could go either way.
Oct 1, 2023 9:03 PM

Mar 2008
Did anyone find Haru's looks and personality to be strangely similar to Free!'s Haru?
Oct 1, 2023 9:11 PM
Jan 2022
As a redneck NASCAR fan who wakes up early to see verstapin win for the millionth time in a row I enjoy the first episode of this anime
Oct 1, 2023 9:34 PM
Jul 2014
Reply to Chumara
Did anyone find Haru's looks and personality to be strangely similar to Free!'s Haru?
@Chumara I find the dude with the orange hair to be Mikey from Tokyo Revengers with orange hair instead of blonde.
Oct 1, 2023 9:43 PM

Jun 2017
Ok, this is much better than MF Ghost
If you have time to think of a beautiful end, then live beautifully until the end.
” -Gintoki Sakata
Oct 1, 2023 9:53 PM

Jan 2021
It's been a while since I last heard a bishounen call his fangirls "koneko-chan~" xD it's cute. But as cute as it is I think I'll be rooting for Haruka... I know I might be very naive to expect this but I thought Haruka could at least come in third place. It's so sad to see him crying like that...

Other than that, I honestly don't know anything about this sport, only occasionally watch it if it's on tv but listening to it with earphones makes me think that the sound the cars make when they're racing is really cool.

Oct 1, 2023 10:02 PM

Oct 2010
Comments look good, I think I'll give this a watch and boost those scores..
Oct 1, 2023 11:04 PM
Aug 2021
While technically F4, this is the most exciting and endearing F1 racing has ever looked on-screen. Since 30 minutes ago you could have never conviced me that a formula-whatever anything could be entertaining to watch but consider me converted (to this show, actual F1 is still boring as hell)
Oct 1, 2023 11:08 PM
Aug 2021
L01MK said:
"Let's have a guy vomit out the rulebook and explain everything about the racing series in episode 1, surely this won't be exposition overload!"

The pacing was a bit too fast in this episode imo. I'd prefer if we had more time with some of the other characters. It's probably because they only have 12 episodes to work with, while a series like Capeta had >50.

So far i am cautiously optimistic about this series. Hopefully this doesn't end up like Twocar where everything outside of the racing is incredibly boring.

As someone who knows jack shit and cares even less for this "sport" I can confirm it wasn't overload at all. If anything, I am glad we can gloss over the rules and go straight into it. First time I have ever given a damn about a racing anything in general.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Overtake! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 26, 2023

79 by JNFuruba »»
Apr 21, 5:49 AM

Poll: » Overtake! Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 5, 2023

51 by demonreaper24 »»
Apr 19, 9:48 AM

Poll: » Overtake! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2023

77 by Destroyer31 »»
Apr 18, 9:17 AM

Poll: » Overtake! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 12, 2023

54 by Destroyer31 »»
Apr 18, 8:35 AM

Poll: » Overtake! Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 15, 2023

43 by RGreatDanton »»
Mar 22, 4:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.