Forum Settings
Forums

Why has shonen suddenly become so popular to hate?

New
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
May 26, 2023 4:27 AM

Feb 2014
RobertBobert said:
I don't think the most general "90% of people are idiots" answer is a sufficient answer to my question. You're just trying to rationalize a generalized bias. Not to mention that the reference to scores when we talk about unfounded criticism is pretty ironic in itself. You are literally basing fan criticism on fan criticism, that is.

LOL didn't know you were trolling, have a good one.
May 26, 2023 5:10 AM

Apr 2012
MySweetLucifer2 said:
RobertBobert said:
The fact that you have watched something else does not mean that you understand it and can give it an objective assessment. I have watched many famous BLs, does that mean I am an authority on the entire BL anime genre? There's a whole bunch of "experts" like you here throwing buzzwords around, but none of them have yet substantiated it other than allegations. Unless, of course, openly admitted dislike of fans or weird attempts to justify the poor quality of shonens other than MHA by saying that they are "not that popular" can be taken as arguments. It's even too funny to discuss.
I never claimed to be an expert. I solely speak my words. To me MHA is just another generic Shonen that never reached the heights of his elders. I love Battle-Shonen and that's why I would like it to progress and do different things. For example, I think if Bakugo was the main-character it would've been way better and even innovative since he's not immediately likeable. He even had something resembling character-development. But no, it has to be the generic Shonen template, but watered the fuck down, since the MC isn't even at least entertaining to watch as a character. 
That is, a purely personal bias due to the fact that the genre "does not look the way I loved it before" and the next general complaints without specifics. It simply does not bring anything new, only its own emotions.

curvedtree said:
RobertBobert said:
I don't think the most general "90% of people are idiots" answer is a sufficient answer to my question. You're just trying to rationalize a generalized bias. Not to mention that the reference to scores when we talk about unfounded criticism is pretty ironic in itself. You are literally basing fan criticism on fan criticism, that is.

LOL didn't know you were trolling, have a good one.
URGHHHHH, how can you disagree with my arguments? You must be a troll!
May 26, 2023 5:52 AM

Dec 2021
StarfireDragon said:
I thought it was always the easy thing to hate.
It's definitely up there, but I'm not sure it's as easy as Isekai or shoujo.

thomotructiep said:
The shift in attitudes towards shonen anime and its fans in Western culture is influenced by several factors. It's important to note that not all Western fans have turned against shonen, and there are still many who appreciate and enjoy it. However, there are a few reasons that might contribute to the negative sentiments you've observed.
Oversaturation: Shonen anime has become incredibly popular and prevalent in recent years. With its wide reach and mainstream success, it has attracted a larger and more diverse audience. As a result, some fans who were initially drawn to shonen may have grown tired of its formulaic tropes, predictable storylines, or repetitive themes. This oversaturation can lead to criticism and a desire for something different.
Backlash against mainstream success: When a particular genre or medium gains significant popularity, there is often a counter-movement or backlash from those who feel it has become too mainstream or overhyped. Some fans may perceive shonen as the "popular" choice, and as a result, they distance themselves from it to maintain a sense of uniqueness or exclusivity.
Online culture and trolling: The rise of social media and internet culture has provided a platform for anonymous users to express their opinions, often in a confrontational or provocative manner. This can lead to the amplification of negative sentiments towards shonen and its fans, as trolling and online arguments can escalate quickly. Additionally, some people may adopt derogatory terms or language to gain attention or fit in with certain online communities.
Cultural differences and misinterpretations: Anime and manga are deeply rooted in Japanese culture, and shonen, in particular, embodies many cultural values and storytelling traditions specific to Japan. When Western fans engage with these works, there can be a disconnect or misinterpretation of certain elements. This can lead to criticism or mockery, albeit sometimes unintentional, due to a lack of understanding or cultural context.
Gatekeeping and elitism: Unfortunately, some fans develop a sense of superiority or elitism based on their preferences or knowledge of anime and manga. This can manifest as an attitude of disdain towards shonen, which is often seen as mainstream or less intellectually stimulating compared to other genres. These individuals may use derogatory terms to belittle shonen fans in an attempt to establish their own perceived superiority.
Those seem like some good ideas. Oversaturation in particular is an interesting thought imo. I would get bored eating the same food every meal,  or doing the same work every day. Surely this applies to anime watching too.

RobertBobert said:

KittenCuddler said:
At this time you've only managed to convince me more that you absolutely do not understand this topic of conversation, and merely speak in a passive-aggressive manner to try and hide the cluelessness you simultaneously seem self-aware of. Could you kindly remind us why we should take your statements seriously, and not as vague, ignorant opinions? 

That's a fair point. The hate isn't really new. Shounen have mostly been bad for a long time (forever, maybe?), and the "hate" they've gotten is not a new phenomenon. And really hate is probably too strong of a word. "Dislike" probably describes people's feeling better than hate.

Brutally accurate. Or at least half accurate :)

You literally sound like a very primitive hater and after that try to accuse me of passive aggression when I start mocking it? OK.

I love when people continue to bait me into a pointless argument, while simultaneously attacking my character as being that of a "hater" rather than countering my arguments. You continue to pointlessly squawk the same complaints, likely because  you sincerely do not understand my irony about this. I don't take abstract complaints seriously from ignorant people who can't even understand the basics of debate. Further conversation is meaningless. Say whatever you want, just don't waste my time on ignorant words please. There is too much of this in my life.
May 26, 2023 5:55 AM

Apr 2012
KittenCuddler said:
StarfireDragon said:
I thought it was always the easy thing to hate.

thomotructiep said:
The shift in attitudes towards shonen anime and its fans in Western culture is influenced by several factors. It's important to note that not all Western fans have turned against shonen, and there are still many who appreciate and enjoy it. However, there are a few reasons that might contribute to the negative sentiments you've observed.
Oversaturation: Shonen anime has become incredibly popular and prevalent in recent years. With its wide reach and mainstream success, it has attracted a larger and more diverse audience. As a result, some fans who were initially drawn to shonen may have grown tired of its formulaic tropes, predictable storylines, or repetitive themes. This oversaturation can lead to criticism and a desire for something different.
Backlash against mainstream success: When a particular genre or medium gains significant popularity, there is often a counter-movement or backlash from those who feel it has become too mainstream or overhyped. Some fans may perceive shonen as the "popular" choice, and as a result, they distance themselves from it to maintain a sense of uniqueness or exclusivity.
Online culture and trolling: The rise of social media and internet culture has provided a platform for anonymous users to express their opinions, often in a confrontational or provocative manner. This can lead to the amplification of negative sentiments towards shonen and its fans, as trolling and online arguments can escalate quickly. Additionally, some people may adopt derogatory terms or language to gain attention or fit in with certain online communities.
Cultural differences and misinterpretations: Anime and manga are deeply rooted in Japanese culture, and shonen, in particular, embodies many cultural values and storytelling traditions specific to Japan. When Western fans engage with these works, there can be a disconnect or misinterpretation of certain elements. This can lead to criticism or mockery, albeit sometimes unintentional, due to a lack of understanding or cultural context.
Gatekeeping and elitism: Unfortunately, some fans develop a sense of superiority or elitism based on their preferences or knowledge of anime and manga. This can manifest as an attitude of disdain towards shonen, which is often seen as mainstream or less intellectually stimulating compared to other genres. These individuals may use derogatory terms to belittle shonen fans in an attempt to establish their own perceived superiority.
Those seem like some good ideas. Oversaturation in particular is an interesting thought imo. I would get bored eating the same food every meal,  or doing the same work every day. Surely this applies to anime watching too.

RobertBobert said:

You literally sound like a very primitive hater and after that try to accuse me of passive aggression when I start mocking it? OK.

I love when people continue to bait me into a pointless argument, while simultaneously attacking my character as being that of a "hater" rather than countering my arguments. You continue to pointlessly squawk the same complaints, likely because  you sincerely do not understand my irony about this. I don't take abstract complaints seriously from ignorant people who can't even understand the basics of debate. Further conversation is meaningless. Say whatever you want, just don't waste my time on ignorant words please. There is too much of this in my life.
For the person who allegedly baited for this argument, you are too aggressively returning to it and too obviously trying to attract attention with abstract general statements. And yes, I'll still repeat it, your argument is literally a very primitive generalized hate speech.
May 26, 2023 7:51 AM

May 2009
RobertBobert said:
Can anyone explain to me when and why Western fans went from literally worshiping shonen to using any loophole to attack shonen and its fans?
You might note that it's not the same people doing both, usually.

But, basically, shounen got popular. And then other people found other stuff, and started resenting that popularity, and so now it got haters. And as other stuff also got more popular, so too did being a shounen hater.

I think there's probably some sort of gut reaction of resentment, to at least a small degree, whenever a person sees someone else expressing enthusiasm for something that that first person doesn't themselves like, and this feeling probably gets blown out of proportion for (1) shows that get a ton of marketing and fan chatter, generally because they're already popular, and (2) genres that that person already dislikes.

I know this feel because I will go to a con and see a bunch of merch for stuff I am not a fan of and feel mildly irritated. Even though I know full well that if that merch were all for stuff I do like I would be freaking broke before getting through even half the con.

also f### funko pops; ugly-a## pieces of s###
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
May 26, 2023 8:07 AM

May 2021
GlennMagusHarvey said:
I know this feel because I will go to a con and see a bunch of merch for stuff I am not a fan of and feel mildly irritated. Even though I know full well that if that merch were all for stuff I do like I would be freaking broke before getting through even half the con

🤣🤣🤣 relateble

go to a con and see a bunch of merch for stuff I am not a fan of = me at last years con: meh, nothing much, mostly just stocked up on manga, spends 30 bucks

Even though I know full well that if that merch were all for stuff I do like I would be freaking broke before getting through even half the con = me at this years con: 🤩🤩🤩 Hunter x Hunter and Yu Yu Hakusho DVDs YES!! OMG Attack On Titan scout jacket!! (i'm gonna wear that to work tomorrow 😁) Pokemon VHS!!! 💖Pochita💖 DIGIMON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! spends every last cent in posession
What debating with DigiCat is like according to APolygons2
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
May 26, 2023 8:52 AM

Dec 2021
RobertBobert said:
KittenCuddler said:

For the person who allegedly baited for this argument, you are too aggressively returning to it and too obviously trying to attract attention with abstract general statements. And yes, I'll still repeat it, your argument is literally a very primitive generalized hate speech.
I'm sorry, but right now you're continuing to do exactly what I was talking about. Deliberately getting my attention and blaming myself for it.

Jolllpo said:

I apppreciate the great lengths you go to feed the troll.
I'm a big believer in the idea that all folks deserve basic human rights, such as shelter, water, and food!

GlennMagusHarvey said:
RobertBobert said:
Can anyone explain to me when and why Western fans went from literally worshiping shonen to using any loophole to attack shonen and its fans?

But, basically, shounen got popular.  And then other people found other stuff, and started resenting that popularity, and so now it got haters.  And as other stuff also got more popular, so too did being a shounen hater.

I think there's probably some sort of gut reaction of resentment, to at least a small degree, whenever a person sees someone else expressing enthusiasm for something that that first person doesn't themselves like, and this feeling probably gets blown out of proportion for (1) shows that get a ton of marketing and fan chatter, generally because they're already popular, and (2) genres that that person already dislikes.

I know this feel because I will go to a con and see a bunch of merch for stuff I am not a fan of and feel mildly irritated.  Even though I know full well that if that merch were all for stuff I do like I would be freaking broke before getting through even half the con.

Dang, that's another good thought! For certain some of the people that be hatin' on shounen are simply different from the folks that like the stuff. (Funko pops are U-G-L-Y)

May 26, 2023 8:55 AM

Apr 2012
KittenCuddler said:
RobertBobert said:
I'm sorry, but right now you're continuing to do exactly what I was talking about. Deliberately getting my attention and blaming myself for it.

Jolllpo said:

I apppreciate the great lengths you go to feed the troll.
I'm a big believer in the idea that all folks deserve basic human rights, such as shelter, water, and food!

GlennMagusHarvey said:

But, basically, shounen got popular.  And then other people found other stuff, and started resenting that popularity, and so now it got haters.  And as other stuff also got more popular, so too did being a shounen hater.

I know this feel because I will go to a con and see a bunch of merch for stuff I am not a fan of and feel mildly irritated.  Even though I know full well that if that merch were all for stuff I do like I would be freaking broke before getting through even half the con.

Dang, that's another good thought! For certain some of the people that be hatin' on shounen are simply different from the folks that like the stuff. (Funko pops are U-G-L-Y)

Sorry, but "no, you" is one of the most lazy and lame arguments you can make in response to an accusation. Also, despite complaining about baiting, you keep trying hard to get my attention even after what could have been perceived as a microphone toss.
May 26, 2023 9:00 AM

Apr 2012
GlennMagusHarvey said:
RobertBobert said:

Agree 90% with the only difference being that judging from this thread, a lot of shonen haters are actually just salty fans of old shows who didn't find anything smart to do but incite hatred for the genre itself (and their favorite) to throw shit at the fans of the new shows. It reminds me of religious disputes when you regularly notice that anti-clericals who attack Orthodox or Catholics are actually adherents of less mainstream Christianity. For example, a Protestant friend of mine sincerely posted anti-Christian memes to piss off the Orthodox without even thinking that these images are directed against Christians in general.
May 27, 2023 2:23 AM

Dec 2016
"Suddenly"? Have you been living under a rock or something all this time? It's been "popular to hate" for at least 20 years already.
May 27, 2023 10:10 PM
Jul 2020
2023 and we know nowdays almost every men on earth are overemotional little bitches
May 27, 2023 10:14 PM

Apr 2012
SoldierDream said:
"Suddenly"? Have you been living under a rock or something all this time? It's been "popular to hate" for at least 20 years already.
This has already been discussed a bunch of times in the thread. Individual shows were criticized, but not the entire genre.
May 28, 2023 4:53 AM

May 2021
vitor03 said:
2023 and we know nowdays almost every men on earth are overemotional little bitches

Uh-huh... that why your comments are locked? Too emotional to risk interacting with anyone you don't 100% agree with?
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
May 28, 2023 5:10 AM

Aug 2021
While they are predictable, they actually have plots and don't revolve around huge cleavage and cringe personalities shoving on your face. 

Let's face it, most anime are trash or else if they were good, they would be mainstream like Shonen. Only a few of them are good.
Howdym8May 28, 2023 6:25 AM
May 28, 2023 6:17 AM

May 2021
Pampop said:
Howdym8 said:
While they are predictable, they actually have plots and don't revolve around huge cleavage and cringe personalities shoving on your face. 

Let's face it, most anime are trash or else if they were, they would be mainstream like Shonen. Only a few of them are good.

No wonder your favorite anime is One Piece.

Says the alt account :3

Howdym8 said:
Let's face it, most anime are trash or else if they were, they would be mainstream like Shonen. Only a few of them are good.

True for every genre 👍
May 28, 2023 7:12 AM

Sep 2021
idk..... if u hate shounen u just gay

𝘓𝘌𝘛𝘚 𝘋𝘖 𝘚𝘛𝘌𝘙𝘖𝘐𝘋𝘚 (`∀´)Ψ
May 28, 2023 8:58 AM
Jul 2020
DigiCat said:
vitor03 said:

Uh-huh... that why your comments are locked? Too emotional to risk interacting with anyone you don't 100% agree with?

no ma'am, it's bcz im too much heterossexual for this site (If u catch my meaning)
May 28, 2023 4:29 PM

Apr 2018
Howdym8 said:
Let's face it, most anime are trash or else if they were good, they would be mainstream like Shonen. Only a few of them are good.

One should never equate popularity with quality. Junk food isn't the healthiest thing you could eat, but it is the easiest.
May 28, 2023 4:51 PM

May 2021
Purple_Gh0st24 said:
One should never equate popularity with quality. Junk food isn't the healthiest thing you could eat, but it is the easiest

Junk food lacks quality in terms of healthyness, but it makes up in the quality of tastyness
May 28, 2023 5:12 PM

Apr 2018
DigiCat said:
Purple_Gh0st24 said:
One should never equate popularity with quality. Junk food isn't the healthiest thing you could eat, but it is the easiest

Junk food lacks quality in terms of healthyness, but it makes up in the quality of tastyness

True. It depends on your taste, but many people like the taste of junk food. This paired with the fact it's accessible makes it easy to eat. It's okay to like it, but it would be a problem if one only eats junk food, ignoring all the better food they could eat instead.
May 28, 2023 5:32 PM

May 2021
Purple_Gh0st24 said:
True. It depends on your taste, but many people like the taste of junk food. This paired with the fact it's accessible makes it easy to eat. It's okay to like it, but it would be a problem if one only eats junk food, ignoring all the better food they could eat instead

That is true too :)

No for the mandatory question, what anime are in your opinion "junk food" and what the "good food"?
May 28, 2023 5:38 PM

Jul 2020
Howdym8 said:

Look, I love shounen, but this is a terrible take.

1. Most shounen are not mainstream. That's just survivor's bias. Take a look at the WSJ catalogue; there are series getting canceled every few months, often multiple at a time. And that's one magazine of many.

2. Popularity can be a sign of quality, but they aren't the same thing. There are mainstream series that are regarded as being bad, and there are obscure series that are regarded as masterpieces.

3. Many shounen out there really aren't predictable (Mob Psycho 100 for example). Yes, some certainly are, but that's true about every genre.

4. Non-shounen series have plots too. And not just shallow ones either. Now, I'm not speaking from personal experience, but by all accounts, Berserk has an extremely in depth and action packed plot. And it isn't the least bit shounen. There are more genres than just shounen and slice of life.

5. Continuing on that, you don't need an exciting plot for a good story. Slice of life, as an example, will often have quality writing through its characters rather than its plot; they generally put a bigger focus on the characters.

6. If you think "huge cleavage" (by which I assume you mean sexual fanservice) isn't a common thing in shounen, that's completely mistaken. Series like Fairy Tail, Seven Deadly Sins, and many others are full of it. I mean, even One Piece has some. And there are numerous non-shounen series which don't have it, too. Fanservice is a thing common in anime in general, and isn't really tied to any specific genres aside from ecchi.

7. You say most anime is trash, but what percentage of anime have you actually watched? Plus, there's a big difference between most anime being TRASH and most anime being "not your taste" (which, although not provable, is likely true for almost any person.)

I hope you don't take this as a personal attack, I just think this is a poorly informed opinion on the whole thing. Give some more non-shounen things a shot; you might find yourself enjoying some of them. And maybe you won't, which is fine too, but that doesn't make them altogether "worse" than the genres you enjoy.

"Truth is always a cruel thing."

May 28, 2023 5:51 PM
Jun 2020
The reason anime for the shounen demographic is often hated is that it usually fits a simple list of traits:

• Easy to predict. (Repetitive structure, cliche plot elements, big strong protagonist man loses once then beats the big bad through the power of friendship, love, or dedication)
  • Very trope-y. (Isekai, manic pixie dream waifu, etc.)
  • Because they're popular in Japan, they get way too many seasons and become overrated and over-saturated and your favorite show fails to get a second season and you feel personally spited.
  • Too high of a budget for something with "low artistic merit".

Not all shounen fits this, but it's the genre's reputation.
Watch more seasonals!
May 28, 2023 5:59 PM

May 2021
triplepsycho said:

1. Most shounen are not mainstream. That's just survivor's bias. Take a look at the WSJ catalogue; there are series getting canceled every few months, often multiple at a time. And that's one magazine of many.

2. Popularity can be a sign of quality, but they aren't the same thing. There are mainstream series that are regarded as being bad, and there are obscure series that are regarded as masterpieces.

3. Many shounen out there really aren't predictable (Mob Psycho 100 for example). Yes, some certainly are, but that's true about every genre.

4. Non-shounen series have plots too. And not just shallow ones either. Now, I'm not speaking from personal experience, but by all accounts, Berserk has an extremely in depth and action packed plot. And it isn't the least bit shounen. There are more genres than just shounen and slice of life.

5. Continuing on that, you don't need an exciting plot for a good story. Slice of life, as an example, will often have quality writing through its characters rather than its plot; they generally put a bigger focus on the characters.

6. If you think "huge cleavage" (by which I assume you mean sexual fanservice) isn't a common thing in shounen, that's completely mistaken. Series like Fairy Tail, Seven Deadly Sins, and many others are full of it. I mean, even One Piece has some. And there are numerous non-shounen series which don't have it, too. Fanservice is a thing common in anime in general, and isn't really tied to any specific genres aside from ecchi.

7. You say most anime is trash, but what percentage of anime have you actually watched? Plus, there's a big difference between most anime being TRASH and most anime being "not your taste" (which, although not provable, is likely true for almost any person.)

I hope you don't take this as a personal attack, I just think this is a poorly informed opinion on the whole thing. Give some more non-shounen things a shot; you might find yourself enjoying some of them. And maybe you won't, which is fine too, but that doesn't make them altogether "worse" than the genres you enjoy

Much better put toghether than the dude you quoted, though i interpreted his comment a bit differently

"most anime are trash", that is a generelization, but i wouldn't take it so literally (at least i hope he don't mean it literally), but statistically speaking, in any large medium, most of it will be between average and trash, does not mean there won't be anything enjoyeble in there, but the % of really really good shows, both popular and obscure, is pretty low

The only flaw in your comment is... damn... DAMN... Berserk is a Seinen!
May 28, 2023 7:59 PM

Apr 2018
DigiCat said:
Purple_Gh0st24 said:
True. It depends on your taste, but many people like the taste of junk food. This paired with the fact it's accessible makes it easy to eat. It's okay to like it, but it would be a problem if one only eats junk food, ignoring all the better food they could eat instead

No for the mandatory question, what anime are in your opinion "junk food" and what the "good food"?

Examples of "Junk food" anime would be stuff like The Asterisk War, I Got a Cheat Skill in Another World and Became Unrivaled in The Real World, Pan de Peace!, Sword Art Online, High School DxD, Diabolik Lovers, and Fairy Tale.
Examples of "Healthy" anime would be Angel's Egg, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, the Monogatari series, almost every Ghibli film, Belladonna of Sadness, Gurren Lagann, Mobile Suit Gundam, Ojamajo Doremi, K-ON!, Ghost in the Shell, practically anything directed by Sotoshi Kon, Birth, Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist, Princess Tutu, FLCL (original only), Mob Psycho 100, and Wolf Children.

This isn't to say "x is objectively bad" or "y is objectively good," I don't believe in objectivity in art. It's difficult to define what exactly makes something "junk food," but I think it's something you can just feel. Everyone's going to like some junk food and/or dislike some healthy food, but as long as you keep a good balance you're dong okay.

You didn't ask, but some "junk food" anime I like include To LOVE-RuB-gata H-kei (this one's almost healthy), A-Channel, Mushoku Tensei, and Garzey's Wing (full fat, very unhealthy). An example of a "healthy" anime I didn't quite like is Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence (it makes my head hurt, and I'm the kind of person that can watch Serial Experiments Lain without issue).
May 28, 2023 8:53 PM

Jun 2020
Purple_Gh0st24 said:
DigiCat said:

Examples of "Junk food" anime would be stuff like The Asterisk War, I Got a Cheat Skill in Another World and Became Unrivaled in The Real World, Pan de Peace!, Sword Art Online, High School DxD, Diabolik Lovers, and Fairy Tale.
Examples of "Healthy" anime would be Angel's Egg, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, the Monogatari series, almost every Ghibli film, Belladonna of Sadness, Gurren Lagann, Mobile Suit Gundam, Ojamajo Doremi, K-ON!, Ghost in the Shell, practically anything directed by Sotoshi Kon, Birth, Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist, Princess Tutu, FLCL (original only), Mob Psycho 100, and Wolf Children.

This isn't to say "x is objectively bad" or "y is objectively good," I don't believe in objectivity in art. It's difficult to define what exactly makes something "junk food," but I think it's something you can just feel. Everyone's going to like some junk food and/or dislike some healthy food, but as long as you keep a good balance you're dong okay.

You didn't ask, but some "junk food" anime I like include To LOVE-RuB-gata H-kei (this one's almost healthy), A-Channel, Mushoku Tensei, and Garzey's Wing (full fat, very unhealthy). An example of a "healthy" anime I didn't quite like is Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence (it makes my head hurt, and I'm the kind of person that can watch Serial Experiments Lain without issue).

Analogy itself is problematic and we shouldn't dig deep in that but what you did essentially is that series I like are "healthy" anime md series I don't like are "junk" anime.

What distinguishes as "healthy" and and what are "junk"?

Because in terms of food, (loosely defining) junk food are foods which are low in nutritions and high in fat, sugar, salt etc.
Healthy food is high in nutritions.

Eating junk food is bad for health but watching those junk anime you mentioned has no negative impact on oneself as long they enjoy that series.
Even if somebody stickes exclusively to this junk anime you mentioned without watching anything else, it's not at all bad. People watch anime for fun, sticking to something which you enjoy has no negative impact. When they get bored they will explore new things. Because at that time those series they were enjoying earlier become unenjoyable.
It's not like your food analogy.
May 28, 2023 9:43 PM

Apr 2012
RainbowToffee said:
The reason anime for the shounen demographic is often hated is that it usually fits a simple list of traits:

• Easy to predict. (Repetitive structure, cliche plot elements, big strong protagonist man loses once then beats the big bad through the power of friendship, love, or dedication)
  • Because they're popular in Japan, they get way too many seasons and become overrated and over-saturated and your favorite show fails to get a second season and you feel personally spited.

All this can be said about most genres and most mainstream anime. Not to mention that most of the isekai have nothing to do with shonen, or that the tropes you describe are either the mainstay of the genre or the usual tools for such stories. In general, another ignorant estimate for rationalizing a simple bias (although in the last two paragraphs you are literally trying to pass off the maximum open bias as an estimate).
May 29, 2023 1:05 AM

May 2021
Purple_Gh0st24 said:

You didn't ask, but some "junk food" anime I like include To LOVE-Ru, B-gata H-kei (this one's almost healthy), A-Channel, Mushoku Tensei, and Garzey's Wing (full fat, very unhealthy). An example of a "healthy" anime I didn't quite like is Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence (it makes my head hurt, and I'm the kind of person that can watch Serial Experiments Lain without issue)

Now i will forever see Sword Art Online as this Burger King birger

Translation: i love SAO

Diabolik Lovers isn't junk food, it's poison

Gotta say i'm quite happy to see you put Ojamajo Doremi in the healthy food section, i grew up watching it :)

Overlord_13 said:
Analogy itself is problematic and we shouldn't dig deep in that but what you did essentially is that series I like are "healthy" anime md series I don't like are "junk" anime

Yes cuz having fun making comparisons is problamatic
May 29, 2023 2:00 AM

Jun 2020
DigiCat said:
Purple_Gh0st24 said:

You didn't ask, but some "junk food" anime I like include To LOVE-Ru, B-gata H-kei (this one's almost healthy), A-Channel, Mushoku Tensei, and Garzey's Wing (full fat, very unhealthy). An example of a "healthy" anime I didn't quite like is Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence (it makes my head hurt, and I'm the kind of person that can watch Serial Experiments Lain without issue)

Now i will forever see Sword Art Online as this Burger King birger

Translation: i love SAO

Diabolik Lovers isn't junk food, it's poison

Gotta say i'm quite happy to see you put Ojamajo Doremi in the healthy food section, i grew up watching it :)

Overlord_13 said:
Analogy itself is problematic and we shouldn't dig deep in that but what you did essentially is that series I like are "healthy" anime md series I don't like are "junk" anime

Yes cuz having fun making comparisons is problamatic

In the last paragraph of my previous post, I have mentioned why that perticular comparision is problematic.

If it's just for the fun you guys are comparing then I don't have any comments on that.
May 29, 2023 4:26 AM
Jul 2015
Most battler animes get boring over time - the formula is quite bland, talking from my personal experience I liked those the most as a kid but now I look for animes with more depth and enjoy fighting less and less, even when animes "just" contain some battle scenes I enjoy then way less than when they are just having a nice conversation. In summertime render for example or re:zero, these anime contain not too many battle scenes but when they happen I feel my interest in those started fading quickly.
May 29, 2023 6:18 AM

Feb 2018
Probably because people see the flaws in generic shounen these days

May 29, 2023 6:30 AM

Dec 2021

vitor03 said:
LOL. I'm not sure how much that applies to "shounen hate," but I'm not going to dismiss your comment in a vacuum based on what I see.

RainbowToffee said:

Certainly those first 3 are the feelings I get when I see a shounen these days. Either unable it unwilling to do something unique, many of them just follow what has brought past shoes success.

RobertBobert said:
KittenCuddler said:

Sorry, but "no, you" is one of the most lazy and lame arguments you can make in response to an accusation. Also, despite complaining about baiting, you keep trying hard to get my attention even after what could have been perceived as a microphone toss.

Okay, fine, great. Are you sure you have to tell me all this?
May 29, 2023 7:39 AM

Feb 2017
It's just the usual case about "hating popular stuff" I guess? I don't know. I am kinda out of the loop of anime trends these days, but I suppose you talking about stuff like Jujutsu Kaisen and Demon Slayer..? haven't got around those two but pretty sure it's just about popularity things as I don't think Mob Psycho get that much of hate
May 29, 2023 8:21 AM

Jul 2020
DigiCat said:
triplepsycho said:

I hope you don't take this as a personal attack, I just think this is a poorly informed opinion on the whole thing. Give some more non-shounen things a shot; you might find yourself enjoying some of them. And maybe you won't, which is fine too, but that doesn't make them altogether "worse" than the genres you enjoy

Much better put toghether than the dude you quoted, though i interpreted his comment a bit differently

"most anime are trash", that is a generelization, but i wouldn't take it so literally (at least i hope he don't mean it literally), but statistically speaking, in any large medium, most of it will be between average and trash, does not mean there won't be anything enjoyeble in there, but the % of really really good shows, both popular and obscure, is pretty low

The only flaw in your comment is... damn... DAMN... Berserk is a Seinen!
Haha, didn't mean to make it sound like Berserk is a shounen! I was actually trying to make the opposite point, but I guess I should have been more clear.

You have a fair point about the "most anime are trash" line, I probably did interpret it wrong lol.

"Truth is always a cruel thing."

May 29, 2023 9:58 AM

Apr 2012
@KittenCuddler Lol don't even try. If you had not returned my attention, I would have even forgotten about your participation in this thread. Not to mention that in recent days your contribution to this discussion has literally consisted in extremely demonstrative support for any opinion that criticizes the genre, even if it is complete nonsense. Typical behavior for a person who has lost an argument and is now trying to strengthen their position.

Prinzesschen said:
At least according to this thread, most of these "flaws" and "generic shows" just exist in the head of salty haters who are looking for any reason to hate the genre because of the fans they don't like.
May 29, 2023 8:12 PM

Dec 2021
Reeei said:
It's just the usual case about "hating popular stuff" I guess? I don't know. I am kinda out of the loop of anime trends these days, but I suppose you talking about stuff like Jujutsu Kaisen and Demon Slayer..? haven't got around those two but pretty sure it's just about popularity things as I don't think Mob Psycho get that much of hate
I'm sure there's some disdain due to the general popularity, but many folks don't care for shounen in general. For example, I didn't care for Demon Slayer outside of it's animation because I just found it unwilling to take any risks either in terms of its story or characters. It felt very flat and uninspired, like I had seen it a dozen times before with a different coat of paint.

RobertBobert said:
@KittenCuddler Lol don't even try. If you had not returned my attention, I would have even forgotten about your participation in this thread. Not to mention that in recent days your contribution to this discussion has literally consisted in extremely demonstrative support for any opinion that criticizes the genre, even if it is complete nonsense. Typical behavior for a person who has lost an argument and is now trying to strengthen their position.

Prinzesschen said:
At least according to this thread, most of these "flaws" and "generic shows" just exist in the head of salty haters who are looking for any reason to hate the genre because of the fans they don't like.
How to say, that you're toxic and bigoted person, while don't say directly that you're toxis and bigoted person.
May 29, 2023 8:20 PM

Apr 2012
KittenCuddler said:
Reeei said:
I'm sure there's some disdain due to the general popularity, but many folks don't care for shounen in general. For example, I didn't care for Demon Slayer outside of it's animation because I just found it unwilling to take any risks either in terms of its story or characters. It felt very flat and uninspired, like I had seen it a dozen times before with a different coat of paint.

RobertBobert said:

How to say, that you're toxic and bigoted person, while don't say directly that you're toxis and bigoted person.
Ahaha, now you just switched to general insults so as not to essentially respond to my allusion to your attempts to attract attention, while simultaneously complaining about my alleged harassment. How far further are you willing to fall in an attempt to grab attention and have the final say? 
May 29, 2023 8:24 PM

Apr 2012
Reeei said:
Including. You can clearly see how strongly people here throw very general accusations and complaints against popular shows, which they are completely unable to substantiate in a closer conversation. Obviously, these are just superficial and ignorant words in an attempt to say something about the show, which annoy them due to their popularity.
May 30, 2023 1:37 PM

Apr 2018
Overlord_13 said:
Purple_Gh0st24 said:

Analogy itself is problematic and we shouldn't dig deep in that but what you did essentially is that series I like are "healthy" anime md series I don't like are "junk" anime.

What distinguishes as "healthy" and and what are "junk"?

Because in terms of food, (loosely defining) junk food are foods which are low in nutritions and high in fat, sugar, salt etc.
Healthy food is high in nutritions.

Eating junk food is bad for health but watching those junk anime you mentioned has no negative impact on oneself as long they enjoy that series.
Even if somebody stickes exclusively to this junk anime you mentioned without watching anything else, it's not at all bad. People watch anime for fun, sticking to something which you enjoy has no negative impact. When they get bored they will explore new things. Because at that time those series they were enjoying earlier become unenjoyable.
It's not like your food analogy.

I agree the analogy isn't perfect, so it's best not to take it too seriously. I'm sorry, but I just can't think of a better way of describing my thoughts here. I don't mean to say "healthy" anime are "things I like," or "junk food" anime are "things I dislike." As I said, there are some anime I see as "junk food" that I do enjoy, and there are some "healthy" anime that I don't. None of this is supposed to necessarily be taken as objective, either. I obviously don't think it's wrong for someone to like "junk food" anime, people can like whatever the hell they please. I do think it's problematic if someone solely consumes "junk food" anime, however (not just anime, the same is true of every medium). That would seriously limit the scope of one's artistic/human experience; it would impede one's ability to enjoy art and understand humanity. This may come off as "pretentious," but that's not my intention here. I'm of the opinion we should never limit ourselves to any one thing, that we should always be open to trying new things.

I'm sorry that I can't exactly find the right words to distinguish the "healthy" anime from the "junk food" anime. Speaking loosely, maybe we could say "healthy" anime are life-changing? That wouldn't work, because they aren't guaranteed to effect everyone the same way... maybe, they provide an experience you can't get elsewhere? That's still not really accurate, because the same may be true of a few "junk food" anime. "Junk food" anime are just a little bit easier to describe: they're like fat in audio-visual form.

I don't want to think about this much more, though. As said, it shouldn't be taken too seriously. This isn't exactly a science.
May 30, 2023 1:40 PM

Aug 2018
Maybe it's because the internet makes it so easy to broaden your horizons and see what else anime is capable of, and how much better it is than dumb ass battle shounen.
May 30, 2023 2:02 PM
Apr 2023
RobertBobert said:
Can anyone explain to me when and why Western fans went from literally worshiping shonen to using any loophole to attack shonen and its fans? I understand that all things have their fans and their haters, but for the last year or two, it seems to me more and more that hatred of shonen is becoming somehow excessive or even insane. To the point where I see normies attacking shonen just to seem like cool anime fans. For example, a couple of people used "shonen MC" quite seriously when talking to me with the expectation that I would understand it as a derogatory term without any problems. Can anyone explain this?
I didn't know it was a thing, those shows can be fun to watch just like the other "genres" or whatever we should refer to them as. I don't mind a good shonen, I probably won't spend a lot of time watching one that doesn't click with me, but that goes for all of the anime. People just like to bag on shit on the internet, plenty of shonen fans out there loving their favorite titles. I have thread going about dumb shows that people actually really like. But just for fun and to see what admittedly "dumb" shows people enjoy. When I say dumb I am mostly meaning comedies with a really ridiculous premise or theme.  I think a lot of people are on the right track on this thread when they point out that for some people it can be trendy to bash popular stuff. 

It's all preferences right? Personal preferences, let people like what they like and leave alone about it or have fun with it but don't be a hater. I'm not interested in tearing things down just because I am not a fan of it. Someone else liking an anime I don't like has no impact on me at all, it's like "yeah good, enjoy" I am going to go watch a dumb show I like and hopefully the industry can stay healthy and keep putting out a lot of variety.  I like living in a world where we don't all have to have the same preferences. Especially for something that is in the Anime/Manga, comics, games region of entertainment. Rant over.
May 30, 2023 10:31 PM

Oct 2022
Because if you don't hate on the big dawgs how is your small little ass washed anime gonna get attention?
opin·ion
[əˈpɪnjən]

NOUN

1. a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge:"that, in my opinion, is right" ·

May 30, 2023 10:49 PM

Apr 2012
@epidemia78  My anime horizons are many times wider than most of these haters who can't even argue their position. At the same time, many of my favorite shows are battle shonens. Is there something wrong with me?
May 31, 2023 12:41 AM

Aug 2018
RobertBobert said:
My anime horizons are many times wider than most of these haters who can't even argue their position. At the same time, many of my favorite shows are battle shonens. Is there something wrong with me?

IDK, autism maybe? But I'm no doctor.
May 31, 2023 12:47 AM

Apr 2012
@epidemia78 Lol, are you literally ready to insult me just because I like a genre that you don't like? Amazing behavior for a man I've always thought was pretty reasonable.
May 31, 2023 12:50 AM

Aug 2018
@RobertBobert

well in my defense I did feel a tad bit guilty when I typed it but I thought it was too good a joke to let go to waste.
May 31, 2023 1:11 AM

Apr 2012
@epidemia78  I just want to say that I don't know you personally, but in my gradation of people here, you clearly were far from such "arguments", lol. Although this thread is long anyway and it seems that the last 1-2 pages exist just for throwing poop at each other.
May 31, 2023 1:32 AM

Feb 2021
Maybe because of the generation who read and watch it.
May 31, 2023 4:38 AM

Apr 2018
@RobertBobert How the hell is that an insult? Nothing wrong with autism.
May 31, 2023 4:41 AM

Apr 2012
@Purple_Gh0st24 Don't make me explain why it's offensive to joke that a person has developmental problems because they have an autism spectrum disorder.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

216 by Coaghim »»
3 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Today

33 by FanofAction »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 2 hours ago

7 by BitChilly »»
14 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - 7 hours ago

24 by Coaghim »»
14 minutes ago

» Favorite characters you think are Sadist, Masochist, or Switch

IpreferEcchi - 9 hours ago

5 by Otakupervert890 »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.