Forum Settings
Forums

When was the last time you became deeply immerse in an anime's world?

New
May 13, 2023 11:42 PM
Hello Everynyan

May 2022
I am talking about stories with captivating world-building like in Harry Potter, Game of Thrones, Attack on Titan, etc. In every waking moment, you just can't help but daydream about scenarios where you live and adventure in those worlds.

Does it still happen regularly for you? Or did it stop after you grew older? If so, which was the last show (anime or not) you have daydreamed about?

May 14, 2023 6:30 AM

Feb 2016
I don't usually feel that way about anime. The most immersive setting I've seen is this movie.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/1034/Ouritsu_Uchuugun__Honneamise_no_Tsubasa
その目だれの目?
May 14, 2023 6:53 AM
Hello Everynyan

May 2022
Lucifrost said:
I don't usually feel that way about anime. The most immersive setting I've seen is this movie.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/1034/Ouritsu_Uchuugun__Honneamise_no_Tsubasa
Thanks for the recs. 🙏
I guess meticulous fantasy worldbuilding isn't a common occurrence in anime.

Mod Edit: Removed quoted post
KayKimiiMay 14, 2023 7:50 AM

May 14, 2023 8:42 AM

May 2012
I found Welcome to the NHK! surprisingly compelling. It was one of the first shows I watched weekly, and Iwas amazed that I could care as much about a bunch of animated characters as I dd.

As for world-building, I recommend Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryouko ("Girls' Last Tour").

May 14, 2023 2:27 PM

Sep 2021
After I watched Mo Dao Zu Shi, I read a translation of the novel and then watched the live action CQL show because I wanted more.
May 16, 2023 8:23 AM

May 2023
I absolutely loved Magi’s worldbuilding
May 16, 2023 9:13 AM

Aug 2020
Daydreaming about living in them worlds? Never have.

Feeling immersed into the atmosphere of them worlds?
Uhh, not sure. Maybe last year with OPM. The closest ones to that were Summertime Render and the currently airing Tengoku Daimakyou.

Wait, didn't Disney get both of them?
May 16, 2023 9:15 AM

Sep 2014
Always.

I'm deeply immersed into cute waifu on screen.
May 16, 2023 9:16 AM

Feb 2021
Always when I watch anime, I like it so much!
May 16, 2023 9:29 AM

Dec 2022
All the time. Most anime I've rated 8 or above got me immersed in the world at some point or the other. If you're getting caught up in the atmosphere of what you're watching, then you're in for an exciting time.

Shaded Horizon

May 16, 2023 9:31 AM
Oct 2019
Hanasaku Iroha don't need to have world building to be immersed. Just how the relationship start,grown and evolve from where the story start. I am not the biggest fan of fantasy in anime because since the isekai boom from the early 2010's few stories in fantasy settings have captivating worlds. The last fantasy I was really immersed in knowing the world was No Game No Life.
May 16, 2023 9:31 AM

Jul 2021
many many times. all of my 9's and 10's are like these.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

May 16, 2023 9:47 AM

May 2020
ohadezu said:
I absolutely loved Magi’s worldbuilding
I really liked it too before it dropped the ball super hard.
May 16, 2023 10:54 AM

Mar 2013
FullMetal Alchemist. I remember being obsessed with that one for many years. Now I would say there's some potential wasted, but that was just a trade-off: Arakawa wanted to tell a very concrete story, and by the very nature of her story telling there needs to be restrain. Compare it to someone like Togashi (HxH), who can strech his ideas and stories as much as he wants because they don't really lead to a single path. FMA does. That's fine, we don't always need endless stories.

Legend of the Glactic Heroes. It aims to be grandiose, and it largely succeeds. On the other side, the author's take on religion is just shallow and dumb. It happens in all of his works.

Made in Abyss. As brutal as it is stunning.

Aria. This one is just beautiful, an ode to a long gone past. It's basically an archeofuturistic slice of life utopia that accomplishes what it's supposed to accomplish: to heal your soul.

Maybe Hunter X Hunter for the reasons stated above.

SeijiSensei said:
As for world-building, I recommend Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryouko ("Girls' Last Tour")
This one is great. At its core, it's a tragic story placed in a barren world, but that's its beauty. It is worth to exist and to keep exploring even in the face of demise.

In the same vein, I would say Kino no Tabi is fine. I prefer Girls' Last Tour, though. 
CronosmuMay 16, 2023 11:00 AM

The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow.

May 16, 2023 4:07 PM

Apr 2022
i think when i watched initial D in january, i couldn't get that eurobeat outta my head.
May 16, 2023 4:19 PM

May 2018
"When was the last time you became deeply immerse in an anime's world?"

This evening while watching episodes 1-2 of Make My Day.
Yes, it's retro futurism, the 3D CGI looks like taken from the early 00s and most of the ideas are taken from Aliens + Starship Troopers...but still I had great time with this dark brutal show.
I guess I am starving for good sci-fi action horror.

"like in Harry Potter, Game of Thrones, Attack on Titan"

Those have interesting worlds but shitty wordbuildings tho.

"daydream about scenarios where you live and adventure in those worlds"

Naaah, not in those worlds, that's quite dangerous.
alshuMay 16, 2023 4:23 PM
May 16, 2023 5:00 PM
危ないお兄さん

Nov 2016
Unicorn
this story really immersive since direction can make us really be drowned in atmosphere itself in every moment not to mention mindblowing ending that can reveal true background story behind it and tell us why it happened and affect their current event like it

May 16, 2023 5:09 PM

Aug 2009

...I don't know what this says about me.

May 16, 2023 5:25 PM

Sep 2021
I finished watching Mushoku Tensei: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu (Parts 1 and 2) recently, and the world felt so captivating and rich and just, really really alive. There's so much attention to detail between the languages and magic systems and the geography of the world itself, that made it easy to get lost in. I found myself thinking about it all every time I finished watching for the day.
And I never really felt I had to suspend my disbelief at any point (a sign of good world-building, to me), because I felt so immersed and grounded in the world and with all of its characters; it totally raised my standards for isekai as a whole.

We can always go somewhere again.
✧✧✧✧✧✧
profilewatchingart credit

May 16, 2023 5:55 PM

Mar 2016
I always feel immersed in any anime I give a 7, 8, 9 or a 10, as those are my "higher" ratings, but if I had to name one, it would be Made in Abyss, the world building in that series is pretty much second to none, aside from my favorite series, which is Gundam, there's a lot of good things to say about both of them, but I'll just lave it at that.
Just an avid anime watcher of 18 years, not much else I could say about myself (that I don't want to reveal, of course, just ask if you wanna know more!)

"So...look up, face forward, toward your chosen horizon and just...walk on." - Noah, Xenoblade Chronicles 3
May 16, 2023 6:08 PM

Nov 2019
I have been into Detective Conans world lately, it's nothing special but the art and style and setting just combine perfectly for me. It's peak coziness
May 16, 2023 6:59 PM

Aug 2018
Most anime I like tends to take place in modern day japan and it's more about the characters and situations rather than the world they live in. But 12 Kingdoms has fantastic world-building. It really goes into depth about it's political and religious structure, deftly weaving it into the narrative without ever resorting to tedious infodumps.
May 17, 2023 7:38 AM

May 2012
https://myanimelist.net/anime/1827/Seirei_no_Moribito is another that type of historical fantasy with strong world-building based on myths. Having anthropologist Uehashi Nahoko as the author of the original novel made a big difference. I also recommend her Kemono no Sou-ja Erin which, like Moribito, was adapted to anime by Production I.G.

May 17, 2023 7:54 AM

Sep 2021
Probably last year when I was watching LoGH. I want to experience something similar which is why I've started with Gundam but rn it's too early to form an opinion on it. I've also heard One Piece has really good world building but so far nothing extra ordinary I would say.
May 17, 2023 8:05 AM

Oct 2016
It was happening to me with Nier Automata when it was airing, and before that with Twelve Kingdoms, and 6 years ago with Shinsekai Yori.

I'm currently enjoying the magical creatures and powers of Mahoutsukai no Yome season 2.

Oh somebody mentioned LoGH, yeah I really liked that one as well.
May 17, 2023 10:00 AM

Jun 2017
I got really into Azumanga Daioh. I started daydreaming about going to the school and reading fanfiction and imaging myself in them. This was about 7 years ago.

My whole life i've fantasized about being a yugioh character and inserted myself into a lot of arcs. I even had a mind of what deck i'd play. I remember one time, about 5 years ago, i was watching it and it genuinely felt like i was there and not home. I looked around and It actually took me a few seconds to "Come Back". I can't describe it.
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
May 17, 2023 11:55 AM

Jul 2022
Mushoku Tensei and it's not even a contest.
May 17, 2023 12:01 PM

Mar 2023
I'm just gonna be cliché and say FMA. I really love the aesthetic of 19th and early 20th century Europe wich FMA was inspired by.
May 17, 2023 12:02 PM

Dec 2018
The first season of made in abyss ,flip flappers and sora no wo to
May 17, 2023 12:04 PM

Jan 2021
bleach, though I rarely feel immersed in anime I love that feeling
May 17, 2023 12:25 PM

Apr 2023
this happened to me very often during my shounen phase but not so much anymore
May 17, 2023 1:16 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
I'm always deeply deeply immerse in the world of anime..
I absolutely dislike the real world and I want no part in this world at least mentally I can be in any anime world where I want to be

May 17, 2023 1:27 PM

Aug 2019
I watched the "Escaflowne" movie earlier this month for the first time and while the story was really rushed, I thought that the world was impressively fleshed-out. A one and a half hour runtime was already more than enough to show that to me. It felt so lived in. And it also helps that the visuals of that movie were spectacular.
May 17, 2023 2:43 PM

Nov 2018
I suppose the last time I ran across anime with engaging and properly immersive world-building would actually be in our current spring season. Both Heavenly Delusion and Ancient Magus Bride have fascinating enough settings that I have actually found myself pondering them a few times outside of actually watching the shows. If we go back in time to last year then Made in Abyss would be the next series that comes to mind. I suppose Call of the Night deserves a mention as well, although it gets its shoutout not because of the depth of its world-building so much as the incredibly immersive vibe that anime had. It truly captured that sense of freedom and wonder one had as a teenager when you were out at 4am having a good time doing bad things with your friends.

It's quite rare to find anime with truly immersive settings. Maybe one in every 50 to 100.

MeltingSkyMay 17, 2023 2:59 PM
May 18, 2023 5:15 AM

Mar 2018
One Piece. There's also Evangelion and AOT but not to the extent of One Piece. Fell out of love for AoT since the tonal and narrative shift. In addition, Mappa butchered the production. One Piece is GOAT when it comes to worldbuilding.
May 19, 2023 3:01 AM

Dec 2013
Fumetsu no Anata e.
9/10 world building, characters and compelling story telling.

Made in Abyss
10/10 everything.

Bastard!!
Post-apocalyptic/fantasy, just plain fun and engaging.

More topics from this board

» Do you guys pretend to hate anime?

APolygons2 - 7 hours ago

24 by Ezeeql »»
13 seconds ago

» Are you involved in any fandom activity?

RobertBobert - Yesterday

33 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
1 minute ago

» What is the least importan aspect of an anime?

Spunkert - 3 hours ago

12 by Rhae »»
3 minutes ago

» mal/Confessions ( 1 2 )

NoelleIsSleepy - Yesterday

57 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
3 minutes ago

» Woke Companies Force Japanese Sites to Censor Anime and Manga Content or Shutdown ( 1 2 )

rohan121 - May 9

90 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.