1.4%
4.5%
4.8%
8.9%
25.8%
16.5%
18.9%
291 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Nov 12, 2009 2:49 AM

Jun 2008
Manga_Sama said:
"I have to save the world.." is even cheesier and less original than "the power of friendship" though... Avatar isn't really deep at all. It's a good show, but it's not deep. I've cried during some shonen because of how deep it gets. Not Avatar though.

Indeed.

I thought the entire cast had plenty of unplumbed depths though. In an alternate universe somewhere, Aang actually struggles with survivor's guilt, Azula actually has a conflict between her mutually exclusive desires for companionship and absolute power, and Sokka is more than a joke.
Peace through Superior Firepower!

formosan said:
Are you using some kind of advanced logic I don't know about? Have you decided to assign new meanings to English words? Are you just intentionally burning a straw man and knowing full well that you're changing the subject and misrepresenting a claim?
Nov 12, 2009 11:19 AM

Dec 2008
10! Avatar is awesome! I loved everything in this series, although it isn't anime!
But when we think on this, Avatar is the best show of Nickelodeon with all the 90's shows of this channel, which busy to churn out a rubbish such as SpongeBob, iCarly and all this sh*t... >_____>

And that's it. Na-no-ne/De-aru/Relo XD
Nov 12, 2009 11:30 AM

Aug 2009
Viewed on its own, I would absolutely give Avatar a 10.

Amazing soundtrack, good animation (especially after the first season), and superb characters. I'm very glad it was aimed at a younger audience, as it finally gives younger viewers something marvelous to compare the drivel they're usually given against.

Now, once we get into the Avatar fans, though. Ugh.
Nov 12, 2009 11:39 AM

Sep 2009
It's sad that so many people put 'one' simply because they don't like the series.

Anyway, I never really watched too much of it therefore I can't give a good rating. :) It probably isn't amazing though, it was on Nikalodiean, wasn't it?

New to MyAnimeList, say hello to me! :)
Nov 25, 2009 9:50 PM

Jun 2009
I really liked it. If I hadn't watched Avatar, I defs would have never discovered anime. I don't really compare it to anime series, because it has a bit of a different feel altogether, but it still ranks as one of my fave shows on tv. I kinda grew up with it and the characters (which I loved). I guess it's like Kaleido Star: just a great show that I wouldn't mind watching over and over.
~~~~~~~~~~

"Someday, my memories of her will fade. Her voice, her actions – I might forget them as well. But even then, I will always remember that I loved her." - Emiya Shirou

[/url]
Nov 25, 2009 9:52 PM

Aug 2009
I would give it an 8 mainly because it's not really a masterpiece but I really liked it, and followed it until it end. I liked the "Avatar Concept", when he turns into avatar state and just beat the shit out of everyone.

Ah, good ol' times watching it in Nickelodeon.
Nov 25, 2009 10:01 PM

Mar 2009
I've only watched a few episodes, so I can't comment on it much but from what I've seen, it's average. Not really amazing, but it doesn't suck either.
Nov 25, 2009 11:13 PM

Jul 2008
Love the plotline gave the series a 9.
-1 from 10 because of its demographic targeting children
Nov 25, 2009 11:44 PM

Aug 2008
NicoleMacKinnon said:
It's sad that so many people put 'one' simply because they don't like the series.

I'm sure that - had Avatar been declared as an "official anime" it would have gotten better voting results. It's too bad that people can be stupid at times.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Nov 25, 2009 11:51 PM

May 2009
I don't like little bald boys with arrows on their heads.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 26, 2009 12:04 AM

Jun 2009
the movie adaptation looks stellar. the original was not as uninteresting as initially expected, and is probably my second favorite "american anime" in recent memory. the first being teen titans, simply because it used to be fun to watch after school before i went to the gym. cyborg ftw.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Nov 26, 2009 1:22 AM

Oct 2008
KyuuA4 said:
I'm sure that - had Avatar been declared as an "official anime" it would have gotten better voting results. It's too bad that people can be stupid at times.
lol No kidding.

When I think about it, compared to most of the anime I watch and even few American animated series nowadays, Avatar: the Last Airbender is actually one of those shows where I would not get tired of watching the episodes over and over again. When I would watch say the latest episode of a shonen anime, unless it had fast-pacing, good animations, and was straight to the point, I would only watch it once. However, I would always find myself watching almost any one of the 61 episodes of Avatar over and over again because despite some of the episodes being episodic, they're individually entertaining. Each episode sends a good message, cuts to the chase, and features mature writing.

I actually liked the script and storytelling of each episode. The lines all the characters say don't try to sound too complicated, lengthy, exaggerated, or predictable. They're often to the point and flow within each scene. Also when characters are emotional, it's actually appropriate and not mellodramatic for a long period of time. For example, Zuko was full of angst in some of the first few episodes of season 3, but only because he was mentally confused. The writers didn't deliberately make him pissy to please the girls.

The story was also mature with character development and their personalities. It only makes sense that Katara hated antagonistic firebenders due to the fact one of them killed her mother. She wanted revenge but since she's only 14, of course she couldn't do it! Aang actually faces psychological trials when learning earth and firebending. He doesn't just do 20 episodes worth of training. And just because Toph is a blind, 12 year-old girl doesn't mean she has to have a super-innocent personality and wear a dress to attract people with a prepubescent complex.
Then of course there is the animations. Not only did I like the animations, but I liked how some episodes had a Fooly Cooly style while others had a Samurai Champloo, which were the same two anime(s) that the creators used as reference. The music was very thematic definitely made Avatar sound otherworldy.

I just want to point out that while the end-product of Avatar was never made for a Japanese audience, I consider it an anime "visually" and that I don't find it a kids show simply because it aired on Nickelodeon. If watching Avatar would make me a child, then I guess that makes me a smart child. The situations within the story are actually mature and practical. It doesn't overexaggerate on excessive blood, boobs, or mellodrama for no apparent reason as a way of claiming to be mature. I give the series a 9.5 overall.
HypeathonNov 26, 2009 1:26 AM
Nov 26, 2009 3:27 AM

Jun 2008
Hypeathon said:
The story was also mature with character development and their personalities. It only makes sense that Katara hated antagonistic firebenders due to the fact one of them killed her mother. She wanted revenge but since she's only 14, of course she couldn't do it!

Katara's revenge drive turned on and off every episode to fit what the scenario writers needed.
Aang actually faces psychological trials when learning earth and firebending. He doesn't just do 20 episodes worth of training.

I found his "psychological trials" pedantic and simplistic at best.
And just because Toph is a blind, 12 year-old girl doesn't mean she has to have a super-innocent personality and wear a dress to attract people with a prepubescent complex.

Toph is a character as flat as any of the lolis you despise. Granted, she's not sexualized, and her character concept is, due to its campy nature, great fun, but if you're talking about character development and deep personalities... citing Toph as an example is ridiculous.
Peace through Superior Firepower!

formosan said:
Are you using some kind of advanced logic I don't know about? Have you decided to assign new meanings to English words? Are you just intentionally burning a straw man and knowing full well that you're changing the subject and misrepresenting a claim?
Nov 26, 2009 6:35 AM

Oct 2008
turkeymeister said:
Katara's revenge drive turned on and off every episode to fit what the scenario writers needed. I found Aang's "psychological trials" pedantic and simplistic at best. Toph is a character as flat as any of the lolis you despise. Granted, she's not sexualized, and her character concept is, due to its campy nature, great fun, but if you're talking about character development and deep personalities... citing Toph as an example is ridiculous.

Okay I'll admit, Toph's character wasn't exactly deep. That being said, it wasn't a cookie-cutter, cliche'd character either. Toph felt like more of an individual who knew who she was and didn't base her personality on pleasing an audience.

As for everything else you're told me, it sounded kinda subjective. Katara's vengance may have seemed flawed to you (which is fine by me), though it was at least brief and had a practical conclusion. She didn't turn into a certain character that was revenge driven for over 350 episodes. And Aang's "psychological traits" may have been simplistic, but also very relatable.
HypeathonNov 26, 2009 6:41 AM
Nov 26, 2009 3:56 PM

Aug 2008
To anyone who rated this series as a 1, I'm curious as to what you'd say about it - 'cause there's an odd lot of you out there.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

Nov 26, 2009 3:57 PM

Jun 2008
Hybrid00 said:
I don't like little bald boys with arrows on their heads.

Dats racist!
Nov 26, 2009 8:39 PM

Jun 2009
Nov 27, 2009 1:48 AM
Jul 2018
10 for me.
I really like this uh.. anime? er.. cartoon? Series. yeah.

I like the story, the characters and also the art!

The fighting scenes are really well made too~
Nov 27, 2009 2:29 AM
Jul 2007
all i remember about it was that it wasnt very memorable
...we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here...
Nov 27, 2009 5:18 PM

Sep 2008
Beginning was pretty boring because of a really cliche premise, but things built up well enough and reached a high point in season 2 (see: Uncle Iroh). Third season was all right for the most part, but the last 4 or 5 episodes *really* sucked. It was like the writers didn't know how to end the series.
So I rate it a 5. The humor was often good, and that was probably the best thing about the series. The animation for the fight sequences wasn't bad either.
On a random note, I was always a bit weirded out by how the main character, a 12-year-old, was in love the entire series. Isn't this slightly odd to anyone? Oh well.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 28, 2009 12:52 AM

Jul 2009
Hmm,between 8 and 9.I guess I'll go for 8. It has a good plot and sometimes while watching it, make me feel like I'm playing RPG games .
Dec 4, 2009 8:52 AM

Aug 2007
KyuuA4 said:
NicoleMacKinnon said:

Yet even if they did say it was an anime everybody would laugh at them since anime only comes from Japan.
Dec 4, 2009 3:50 PM

Dec 2007
Alipio said:
Love the plotline gave the series a 9.
-1 from 10 because of its demographic targeting children

I demand you subtract a point from your perfect 10 score for Pokémon.
Dec 4, 2009 3:55 PM

Aug 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:
KyuuA4 said:
NicoleMacKinnon said:

Yet even if they did say it was an anime everybody would laugh at them since anime only comes from Japan.

On the flipside, I'm giving the middle finger - because those who would laugh for that reason are idiots. And, I'll defend anyone who calls Avatar an anime.

Dec 4, 2009 4:02 PM

Oct 2009
I liked it. It was a fun anime. When I was younger I looked forward to watching it a lot :P

" ... carpenters fashion wood; wise people fashion themselves" - Buddhism
Dec 4, 2009 4:37 PM

Aug 2007
KyuuA4 said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
KyuuA4 said:
NicoleMacKinnon said:

On the flipside, I'm giving the middle finger - because those who would laugh for that reason are idiots. And, I'll defend anyone who calls Avatar an anime.

Why would you defend them?
Dec 4, 2009 4:46 PM

Aug 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:

Because they think differently than average anime fans like yourself. The "average anime fan" is locked into this "Japanese only" thing, such that it's the only thing you guys can say on this topic. Every time I read: "It's not anime because it's not from Japan". That's like looking at a "broken record". It's all about "thinking outside the box", boy. Their ability to do that; I will defend it.

Granted, I admit to being a weaboo, even though I've bashed them to some degree. Yea, I speak to the Narutards or anyone who cosplays outside an anime convention (i.e. public). Yet, I admit to some degree of fixation towards Japan myself:
* Japan is on my places to visit. I might consider running a marathon there.
* I've been looking to learn the language; and all I can do are tiny simple sentences.
* Their food is good.
* And I'm somewhat OK as far as their women. I dated a half Jap-Irish girl once.

Despite all that, I refuse to let anime be limited to Japan just because most of you people say so, due to an inability to "think outside the box".

Dec 4, 2009 5:18 PM

Dec 2009
I didn't even know this was considered anything other then a silly cartoon.
My Nuts Jumble.
Dec 4, 2009 5:56 PM

Aug 2007
KyuuA4 said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

Because they think differently than average anime fans like yourself. The "average anime fan" is locked into this "Japanese only" thing, such that it's the only thing you guys can say on this topic. Every time I read: "It's not anime because it's not from Japan". That's like looking at a "broken record". It's all about "thinking outside the box", boy. Their ability to do that; I will defend it.

Granted, I admit to being a weaboo, even though I've bashed them to some degree. Yea, I speak to the Narutards or anyone who cosplays outside an anime convention (i.e. public). Yet, I admit to some degree of fixation towards Japan myself:
* I've been looking to learn the language; and all I can do are tiny simple sentences.
* Their food is good.
* And I'm somewhat OK as far as their women. I dated a half Jap-Irish girl once.

Despite all that, I refuse to let anime be limited to Japan just because most of you people say so, due to an inability to "think outside the box".

Just because somebody "thinks outside the box" doesn't make them right. It is 100% fact that anime only comes from Japan.
Dec 4, 2009 6:10 PM
Nov 2009
I would rate it 10/10 i really liked the ending :D
Dec 4, 2009 6:56 PM
Mar 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:
KyuuA4 said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

* Their food is good.

Just because somebody "thinks outside the box" doesn't make them right. It is 100% fact that anime only comes from Japan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Anime

"a Japanese style of motion-picture animation, characterized by highly stylized, colorful art, futuristic settings, violence, and sexuality."

So where exactly are you getting YOUR "100% fact" which makes you right

Its a style, deal with it.
Dec 4, 2009 8:03 PM

Aug 2007
Mattish said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
KyuuA4 said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

* Their food is good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Anime

"a Japanese style of motion-picture animation, characterized by highly stylized, colorful art, futuristic settings, violence, and sexuality."

So where exactly are you getting YOUR "100% fact" which makes you right

Its a style, deal with it.

Funny how you ignored the key word which is JAPANESE. There's a reason why something like Avatar is called anime-influenced animation.
Dec 11, 2009 2:34 PM

Aug 2009
I love it!!! why the fuck doesn't it count as an anime?
I would have written 10!!!
Dec 11, 2009 5:18 PM

Aug 2007
abbigale_tao said:

It doesn't count as an anime because it was not made in Japan.
Dec 11, 2009 5:21 PM
Mar 2009
Drunk_Samurai said:
abbigale_tao said:

*cough*KoreaChinaIndonesia*cough*

But let's not get into that again.

Dec 11, 2009 5:29 PM

Dec 2009
Gunna give it an 8 because it although its technically not anime it pretty much got me into anime and was the first one ive watched that was somethin dumb like pokemon or yugio or dbz no offense to those who like them. also theres some pretty good fight scenes. Main thing i didnt like was how it was a bit childish but it was kinda aimed at that also. main thing i hated was aang liking katara, that just kinda pissed me off cuz i dont like her at all. great show though. oh and the end sucked >.< but it was good overall!
Dec 14, 2009 1:32 AM

Jan 2009
havent watch it yet because i dont like the animation
Dec 14, 2009 5:19 AM

Oct 2009
Avatar: TLA, for it to be a cartoon somewhat intended for a kids and not be an anime, was VERY enjoyable (I rated 8/10). I actually enjoyed it MORE than some anime in which I gave the same rating!!! TLA even had priority over some anime (i.e. Death Note).

However, there were some plot holes (especially towards the end), some "filler-like" episodes (even though the "manga" came out after the show was started) which were annoying and were surprisingly less humorous than "storyline" episodes, and some slightly annoying voice actors (i.e. Aang and Zuko's lisp).

Overall, it was a REALLY great cartoon and I enjoyed it a lot! It goes in my "best anime" list, even though it's not anime!
Dec 14, 2009 6:31 PM

Oct 2009
Anime or not, I didn't really like Avatar. I watched about 20 episodes then started questioning why I was even watching it. The characters and art were good and all but the plot didn't interest me.
Dec 15, 2009 11:58 AM
Aug 2008
I give 9 to this great cartoon.
Dec 15, 2009 12:04 PM

Aug 2007
chinlamp said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
abbigale_tao said:

None of those countries make anime.
Dec 15, 2009 12:08 PM

Jan 2008
10. I really don't like Nickolodeon, but I loved Avatar. Finally a new cartoon from US which has a nice story and good charactors.
Dec 15, 2009 4:08 PM

Aug 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:
chinlamp said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
abbigale_tao said:

Sometimes, production occurs there because it's cheaper to do so. Durrrrr.

Dec 15, 2009 4:55 PM

Dec 2009
I loved this cartoon and do not consider it anime at all. Nonetheless I would give it about a 9 for being a great Western animation cartoon.
Dec 15, 2009 4:56 PM

Aug 2008
Critter said:
Western animation cartoon.

Is that some redundant redundancy I see there?

Dec 15, 2009 9:00 PM

Aug 2007
KyuuA4 said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
chinlamp said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
abbigale_tao said:

Sometimes, production occurs there because it's cheaper to do so. Durrrrr.

That doesn't mean shit.
Dec 15, 2009 9:06 PM

Jul 2008
Japanese animation cartoon is anime. American animation cartoon is not anime. Korean animation cartoon is not anime. Canadian animation cartoon is not anime.

It all makes perfect sense...
Dec 15, 2009 9:07 PM

Aug 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:
That doesn't mean shit.

Neither does your opinion when y'completely over look such facts in order to make anime produced entirely within Japan. It's funny when a weaboo such as myself is lecturing you for being so damned weaboo. Granted, I admit to screwing up my own arguments from time to time.

I mean, it's sad when this...

Drunk_Samurai said:

... this is your only argument. But let me help you; because I can argue both sides to this argument, such I can with myself (if I want to).

Why not... the original producers and creators of an anime/manga has to be Japanese. For example, in print, the author's name on the front cover of a manga has to be Japanese.

You can say that. That'll work. >:D

I'd add in the position of "director"; but I seem to remember that there's a white guy out in Japan who directed an anime before. I have to fact-check this one though.

Vagabond said:
Japanese animation cartoon is anime. American animation cartoon is not anime. Korean animation cartoon is not anime. Canadian animation cartoon is not anime.

Here's a test for you:

Korean animation
Canadian animation
Russian animation
French animation
Chinese animation
Kenyan animation

Come up with names for each of those please. ;)

Dec 16, 2009 10:14 AM

Aug 2007
KyuuA4 said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
That doesn't mean shit.

Neither does your opinion when y'completely over look such facts in order to make anime produced entirely within Japan. It's funny when a weaboo such as myself is lecturing you for being so damned weaboo. Granted, I admit to screwing up my own arguments from time to time.

I mean, it's sad when this...

Drunk_Samurai said:

... this is your only argument. But let me help you; because I can argue both sides to this argument, such I can with myself (if I want to).

Why not... the original producers and creators of an anime/manga has to be Japanese. For example, in print, the author's name on the front cover of a manga has to be Japanese.

You can say that. That'll work. >:D

I'd add in the position of "director"; but I seem to remember that there's a white guy out in Japan who directed an anime before. I have to fact-check this one though.

Vagabond said:

Here's a test for you:

Korean animation
Canadian animation
Russian animation
French animation
Chinese animation
Kenyan animation

Come up with names for each of those please. ;)

That's the only argument because it's 100% true that anime only comes from Japan. Anybody who says Avatar is anime is an idiot.
Dec 16, 2009 10:23 AM

Dec 2007
Drunk_Samurai said:
chinlamp said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
abbigale_tao said:

Naruto's animation is outsourced to Korea.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.