Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Bungo Stray Dogs
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 1, 2023 6:28 AM

Nov 2011
This episode probably had the most focus on Akiko Yosano in the franchise (at least animated part) so far.  Very glad to see more of her personality in depth and what she went through 11 years before the timeline.

It's tragic that she was a child during time of war yet her healing talent was incredibly useful. Not going to lie, I think the VA did a great at job protraying her personality as a kid. 
Mar 1, 2023 7:00 AM
May 2022
Dare I say, the best episode of this season, so far.
Mar 1, 2023 7:05 AM

Mar 2020
Great to see the backstory on Yosano, she had a tragic past, as her healing talent was used to form an immortal army, but when the army is human, they break down from all the death and despair, and they can't take it anymore. The utter sorrow and pain must have been hard for the soldiers, and for Yosano to heal them when they just wanted to die, just pure sadness. Good that the Detective Agency took her in for her kindness, and not for her ability, although it has still proved useful to them.

A nice interlude to capture more character moments before yet another big battle.
Mar 1, 2023 8:08 AM

Apr 2016
I like how this episode served as a good reminder that Mori is a vile scumbag who is willing to do anything in order to achieve his goal. After all, that's how he became the leader of the Port Mafia in the first place. Poor Yosano. It's no wonder why she never wanted to be his assistant again. He mentally tortured her until she reached her breaking point. It also explains why she values life so much and hates those that don't. At least Ranpo and Fukuzawa were there to get her out of Mori's hands.
Mar 1, 2023 8:18 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
A mysterious island that could only be taken via vicious pre modern age combat huh that sounds brutal. Even back then Yosano sensei's attitude was pretty blunt. Though it was funny seeing Mori in another role back then. Still it was cute seeing Yosano act like a normal girl for once. But it sure was cruel seeing the way the perception towards her powers change so much as the grim reality of war set in. The chilling final message of the soldier that she was close too really was tragic. But for her to be the reason why the alliance between the agency and the mafia collapsed though. Overall really liked this ep as it provided a much needed expansion for one of the central pillars of the agency that while lacking in combat ability is still vital in keeping them in the fight. Though have to say i hate Mori even more so now.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 1, 2023 8:34 AM
Feb 2023
BIG spoiler alert for everyone!

it was good seeing yosano's past animated and tachihara's brother too, ofc i hate mori even more now, ranpo is the most amazing person ever and he and fukuzawa deserve the world
Mar 1, 2023 8:35 AM

May 2020
Pain. Just pain.

Always knew something was up with Yosano's past, but didn't foresee something of this magnitude. The ability which served as a blessing to plenty was actually an affliction in disguise, for Yosano and for the people who went through the trials as well. Thanks to Mori who basically broke down both. Now I hate him even more.
Mar 1, 2023 8:52 AM

Oct 2017
Yosano backstory is really tragic, felt bad for her.
Mar 1, 2023 9:04 AM

Jul 2013
Always felt Yosano was left behind after season 1, so this episode was welcomed.
Mar 1, 2023 9:25 AM

Nov 2007
tsubasaloverMar 2, 2023 11:45 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Mar 1, 2023 9:35 AM
Nov 2021
I think I'll need 4-8 business days to recover. This is undoubtedly the best Bungo Stray Dogs episode so far. The production quality was amazing, the voice acting was mesmerizing and overall the way the episode built up tension and executed scenes with maximum emotion... Holy shit. I can't wait to see what's next.
Mar 1, 2023 9:47 AM
Apr 2019
Man poor yosano 😥, Mori's so freaking evil but can't hate him, he's extremely charismatic. On the Other hand Fukuzawa's father material ❤️
Mar 1, 2023 9:51 AM
May 2021
I loved Yosano's story with that soldier and how she still keeps that hairpin is really touching.... Also Ranpo really is the best -- I love him and the Armed Detective Agency... I think Mori-sensei is so cruel; if he had experienced the soldier's life, he would understand how cruel his thought processes are... The line I found most inspiring is "every spirit has a breaking point"... I think that's really true.
Mar 1, 2023 10:09 AM

Jul 2011
Was the how horrible war is, but whatever.
Logistically the thing was weird. The enemy be like, let them recover the downed ones. The commander must really bad at commanding. And with a good strategy in the most gross way to say, is like play COD. And how good the unit eliminations numbers were?
Mar 1, 2023 10:21 AM

May 2017
This season is on another level..

Mar 1, 2023 10:27 AM
Jun 2021
I loved the Yosano backstory
Mar 1, 2023 11:02 AM
Mar 2022
Probably one of my favorite episodes in the entire anime so far. And I wasn't even all that interested in Yosano's past. But this was just so well-executed from beginning to end. Pretty dark episode overall, I loved it.

Mori is so creepy, but his character is super fascinating and I loved seeing him in this episode as well. And the voice actor is amazing! I got chills when he grabbed Yosano's head and said "Do it!"

This season is insanely good, I can't get enough of it.
Mar 1, 2023 11:03 AM

Feb 2019
Loved Yosano backstory, always been one of my fave characters for her design and personality. Glad we got to see what makes her tick. Fuck Mori for subjecting her to that torture though. Can’t wait for next week
Mar 1, 2023 11:04 AM
Apr 2020
best episode of this season so far!
Mar 1, 2023 11:12 AM

Jan 2013
Pretty dry episode. I have faith in the series and not every episode can be a banger.
Mar 1, 2023 12:13 PM
Jul 2021
Why is this season of BSD so good. Every ep has been a banger so far. Way better than past seasons imo
Mar 1, 2023 12:39 PM

Nov 2008
Enjoyed the backstory of Yosano and how she came to be in the agency, and how she knows Mori.

Mar 1, 2023 1:02 PM
Aug 2013
I don’t know minna-san… my fav characters (Dazai, Chuuya and Akutagawa) appear MORE during the OST and EST than during the 9 episodes out.
Akutagawa hasn’t appeared yet.
Final episode 13 is near 🫠
Mar 1, 2023 1:37 PM
May 2019
OMG!!!I love it!!! So amazing episod full of action, unexpected situations and wonderful manga adaptation!
Mar 1, 2023 1:43 PM
Dec 2022
Finally getting to know Yosano's past was incredible, the episode was perfect, it definitely makes you love Yosano even more.
Mar 1, 2023 2:37 PM

Jun 2015
I was so looking forward to this episode. What a ride Yosano's past is
Mar 1, 2023 3:07 PM
Aug 2020
This one was really so go good, to see what happened in the past, it was so intense, really not easy…
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Mar 1, 2023 3:43 PM

Apr 2022
very good backstory on yosano - the tenshi-sama. glad my 2nd favorite characters getting focus. one of my favorite episodes from the entire series now.
Mar 1, 2023 4:29 PM

Dec 2021
Poor Yosano her backstory's so sad but Ranpo oml

I love their relationship :)
Mar 1, 2023 5:14 PM
Jan 2021
I think what the creator of Bungo Stray Dogs did with Akiko Yosano's character is simply wonderful. Dare I say, the best episode of this season so far!
Mar 1, 2023 5:42 PM

Dec 2018
holy shit what an emotional episode. we still don't know how the transaction will shake out but we got a whole lot of backstory that just tears you up.
Mar 1, 2023 6:13 PM
Jan 2022
Something about seeing Yosano's backstory animated hurt more than it did in the manga, but it's nice to feel something again
Mar 1, 2023 6:34 PM
Aug 2021
Rampo is always the man no matter what. This show just does. not. miss. Proving time and time again why it’s one of my all time favorites
Mar 1, 2023 7:44 PM

Jan 2011
crazy how miles better this season is to the other ones , i'd be lying if i mostly never thought of her character much till this arc  because frankly all i remembered is she carried around a saw blade and healed people  so this was some much needed backstory

while this was very good i can't recall there ever being a great war mentioned at all??
Mar 1, 2023 8:18 PM

Jun 2020
Man, i love yosano and ranpo's friendship so much

Mar 1, 2023 9:22 PM

Feb 2023
katsu044 said:
while this was very good i can't recall there ever being a great war mentioned at all??
In the anime, the biggest mention of it was in the second season during the flashback with Oda as Gide and his group were originally soldiers who fought in a war. The great war is mentioned more often in the manga. The most notable place I remember it being cut was from the third season regarding the backstory of the headmaster of Atsushi's orphanage. I don't remember where else it was cut out but I know some other anime-onlys who also weren't aware of the war at all while as a manga reader I had been wanting to know more about it by the time Yosano's backstory came up.

ETA: I finally watched the episode and I'm actually disappointed this time. These chapters in the manga were excellently drawn and portrayed the emotions of the characters so well but it all seemed lost in the anime adaptation. It is especially obvious in the scene towards the end when Mori approaches Yosano as the scene has a completely different vibe from the manga. Manga!Mori and anime!Mori feel like two different characters here, and I don't like the way the anime portrayed him. There were some powerful frames in the manga that weren't adapted well or straight up omitted from the anime and I don't know why the studio made the changes they did. The studio should have trusted the source material a lot more here. I see a lot of anime-onlys loved this episode but it could have been so much better.
MeruseitaiMar 2, 2023 2:36 AM

Mar 2, 2023 1:21 AM
Jun 2021
Important question: I remember in season 1 yosano says that in order to heal her patients, their injuries must be lethal and they must be near death for her ability to work, (she mentioned it in the lemon bomb guy episode) but in episode 9 we see her heal all the soldiers, most of them didn’t have any lethal injuries, but she still managed to heal them all. Is that an error or did yosano perhaps lie about how her ability works?
Mar 2, 2023 2:27 AM
Dec 2021
I had hope that I will finally see Akutagawa but it was okay
Mar 2, 2023 3:39 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Definitely a terrifying backstory for Yosano and how they forced her to use her power like that, that's how you wish you had no power at all and what the agency permitted her to do and have a place where she can belong for herself and not her powers, great episode and the end if hyping for what's next, she needs to be protected but they need to save everyone
Mar 2, 2023 5:38 AM

Jun 2016
fuck yeah !! i hate the cliffhanger  !!
Mar 2, 2023 5:59 AM

Sep 2022
Holy fuck that was quite an episode. Even though its a flashback/backstory, this just proves that BSD is at its peak when it is in the flashbacks. Not saying that the present story is bad though, because goddamn this season has been the best of them all.

On a side note, Yusuke Kobayashi's role as a soldier who had his mind broken after being healed so many times must not be a coincidence LMAO
Gremlin Eris be like:
Mar 2, 2023 6:40 AM

Sep 2017
Glad muh man Ranpo set things right for Yosano.

And those soldiers turned out to be huge dicks to Yosano. Poor girl got forcibly enlisted by mori and she just wanted to save lives. none of them are considerate of the girl's well being. Especially the poem reading guy. But i guess he got nuts in the middle.

honestly disgusting the emperor would allow 11 yo kids to serve war agenda. mori is creepy af and his seiyuu did an amazing job of that

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Mar 2, 2023 9:26 AM
Aug 2021
Best of all the seasons so far!
Mar 2, 2023 11:30 AM
Jan 2019
yosanos backstory is really well written. its lovely to see her rl with rampo from the beginning! this season is so good, i love this arc
Mar 2, 2023 12:06 PM

Jan 2021
We got a lot of backstory from Akiko and a lot of screentime on her, it was an very interesting story. 

I'm glad that Akiko joined the agency despite her traumatic events in the past.
Mar 2, 2023 1:41 PM
Oct 2022
It was super great to know Yosano's background and get to know more about her personality, even though it was sad.
Also, Rampo has to be thee coolest nonchalant character ever.
Besides the sadness, it was a great episode and I can't wait for the next one.
Mar 2, 2023 6:46 PM
May 2017
Damn, her backstory is tragic af and really well done. I like that it's very specific to her power and not anything generic which easily could've been the case.
Mar 2, 2023 7:15 PM

Jan 2020
Holy shit, seeing it animated is just, it brings back everything i felt when reading it back then. 
Mar 2, 2023 8:37 PM

Aug 2017
another cliffhanger!!! I love the backstory of Yosano, its tragic and yet its freeing to know that she has a place in this world! hurray to Ranpo.
Cant wait for nxt week.

Mar 3, 2023 1:24 AM

Oct 2008
oh gosh! what a very harsh 11 yrs old young Yosano damn! that was truly mentally breaking!!!
thumbs-up for ranpo and fukuzawa for saving her damn i wanna see the next ep!! this is gonna be exciting!

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs 4th Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2023

84 by Karva1 »»
Apr 26, 1:48 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs 4th Season Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 25, 2023

82 by Karva1 »»
Apr 25, 9:03 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs 4th Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 29, 2023

120 by Virtecek »»
Apr 10, 3:11 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs 4th Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 22, 2023

98 by Virtecek »»
Apr 9, 2:30 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs 4th Season Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2023

121 by Virtecek »»
Apr 9, 2:26 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.