Forum Settings
Forums

Are people increasingly forgetting what they praised and loved in the past in favor of new shows?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 14, 2023 8:04 AM
Dec 2017
Way too much bootlickery shill with lots of ignorance going on these days ngl and the recency bias while always there its best just to avoid it at all times and instead focus on what you rather enjoy personally and not bother with the trogdlytes at all.

Jan 14, 2023 8:09 AM

Dec 2021
i still rewatch my old favs every few years. i definitely haven't forgotten any of the shows i loved originally but its just that i don't talk about them because its all been said. New anime has a certain draw due to improvement in overall quality due to more money being in the industry. i don't think its forgetting or lack or reverence for the OGs. I just geninuelly think there isn't much more than can be said about the OGs that we all know and love 
๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ–ค๐Ÿฅ€˜”*°•.˜”*°•๐“˜๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ ๐”€๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฎ ๐“ฝ๐“ธ ๐”€๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฎ ๐“ช ๐“ผ๐“ฝ๐“ธ๐“ป๐”‚ ๐”€๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ ๐“ถ๐“ฎ ๐“ฒ๐“ท ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ช๐“ญ ๐“ป๐“ธ๐“ต๐“ฎ, ๐“ฒ๐“ฝ ๐”€๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ต๐“ญ ๐“ฌ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฝ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ต๐”‚ ๐“ซ๐“ฎ... ๐“ช ๐“ฝ๐“ป๐“ช๐“ฐ๐“ฎ๐“ญ๐”‚.•°*”˜•°*”˜๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ–ค๐Ÿฅ€

Jan 14, 2023 8:13 AM

Apr 2012
RitoDeviluke said:
i still rewatch my old favs every few years. i definitely haven't forgotten any of the shows i loved originally but its just that i don't talk about them because its all been said. New anime has a certain draw due to improvement in overall quality due to more money being in the industry. i don't think its forgetting or lack or reverence for the OGs. I just geninuelly think there isn't much more than can be said about the OGs that we all know and love 
Dude, I don't mean to sound toxic, but I don't think anyone who just started watching anime and hasn't even watched 200 titles can talk about issues of novelty or nostalgia. How long ago did you even watch your first shows?
Jan 14, 2023 8:16 AM

Dec 2021
I doubt my anime lists include most of my shows. I've been watching anime for 10-13 years and started a MAL account like 3 years ago. I'm sure there are things that are not listed and sure I have watched way more than 200 titles, I just didn't care about tracking them before and the ones I did watch were so long ago ill likely rewatch them. Also prefacing it with "I don't want to sound toxic" and then proceeding to try to gate-keep my personal opinion based on your idea of what an experienced watchers account should look like is kinda silly. 
๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ–ค๐Ÿฅ€˜”*°•.˜”*°•๐“˜๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ ๐”€๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฎ ๐“ฝ๐“ธ ๐”€๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฎ ๐“ช ๐“ผ๐“ฝ๐“ธ๐“ป๐”‚ ๐”€๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ ๐“ถ๐“ฎ ๐“ฒ๐“ท ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ช๐“ญ ๐“ป๐“ธ๐“ต๐“ฎ, ๐“ฒ๐“ฝ ๐”€๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ต๐“ญ ๐“ฌ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฝ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ต๐”‚ ๐“ซ๐“ฎ... ๐“ช ๐“ฝ๐“ป๐“ช๐“ฐ๐“ฎ๐“ญ๐”‚.•°*”˜•°*”˜๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ–ค๐Ÿฅ€

Jan 14, 2023 8:22 AM

Apr 2012
RitoDeviluke said:
I doubt my anime lists include most of my shows. I've been watching anime for 10-13 years and started a MAL account like 3 years ago. I'm sure there are things that are not listed and sure I have watched way more than 200 titles, I just didn't care about tracking them before and the ones I did watch were so long ago ill likely rewatch them. Also prefacing it with "I don't want to sound toxic" and then proceeding to try to gate-keep my personal opinion based on your idea of what an experienced watchers account should look like is kinda silly. 
I hear this "justification" all the time, but even so, 200 shows is still very little. And it’s not even about some kind of gatekeeping, but about the fact that in order to forget a show with such a viewing pace, you need to have some kind of sclerosis. Which you clearly don't have.
Jan 14, 2023 8:27 AM

Dec 2021
RobertBobert said:
RitoDeviluke said:
I hear this "justification" all the time, but even so, 200 shows is still very little. And it’s not even about some kind of gatekeeping, but about the fact that in order to forget a show with such a viewing pace, you need to have some kind of sclerosis. Which you clearly don't have.
I just told u the list isn't accurate, I just don't add shows from ten years ago that I don't feel comfortable rating. I already told you I have more than 200 shows watched. like that actually matters. I see your purpose for this posting was not to actually talk to people. but to instead try to put down people's opinions with your "superior watchlist" you really are something, my friend. you take a completely non confrontational opinion and somehow try to turn it into an argument, what a piece of work. not to mention the only definition for sclerosis is a medical condition, i really don't see how you are trying to apply that term here. i cant even find a synonym that isn't a medical condition 

Jan 14, 2023 8:31 AM

Apr 2012
RitoDeviluke said:
RobertBobert said:
I just told u the list isn't accurate, I just don't add shows from ten years ago that I don't feel comfortable rating. I already told you I have more than 200 shows watched. like that actually matters. I see your purpose for this posting was not to actually talk to people. but to instead try to put down people's opinions with your "superior watchlist" you really are something, my friend. you take a completely non confrontational opinion and somehow try to turn it into an argument, what a piece of work. not to mention the only definition for sclerosis is a medical condition, i really don't see how you are trying to apply that term here. i cant even find a synonym that isn't a medical condition 
No, all I'm saying is that in order to have a novelty bias, you have to have what you can call old though. If you've only recently started watching anime, or if you've only watched "over 200 shows" in 13 years, then the concept of "watched old shows" hardly exists for you.
Jan 14, 2023 8:34 AM

Dec 2021
RobertBobert said:
RitoDeviluke said:
No, all I'm saying is that in order to have a novelty bias, you have to have what you can call old though. If you've only recently started watching anime, or if you've only watched "over 200 shows" in 13 years, then the concept of "watched old shows" hardly exists for you.
It doesn't seem you are even listening. would you rather I add and rate a bunch of shows I saw ten years ago? I find it silly when people add shows they watched 13 years prior and try to act as if they can actually rate or have an opinion on something that is so long ago. I choose to not put shows that I don't remember fully. being why I don't go through all of my watching accounts and categorize every single thing I've ever watched as a lot of them I don't have the knowledge to accurately judge them anymore and need to rewatch them. that is my choice. it doesn't mean I cant have an opinion as I have watched plenty of old anime . this isn't going to go anywhere. ill remember to not post or interact in your postings because I'm not experienced enough to have an opinion 

Jan 14, 2023 8:40 AM

Apr 2012
RitoDeviluke said:
RobertBobert said:
It doesn't seem you are even listening. would you rather I add and rate a bunch of shows I saw ten years ago? I find it silly when people add shows they watched 13 years prior and try to act as if they can actually rate or have an opinion on something that is so long ago. I choose to not put shows that I don't remember fully. being why I don't go through all of my watching accounts and categorize every single thing I've ever watched as a lot of them I don't have the knowledge to accurately judge them anymore and need to rewatch them. that is my choice. it doesn't mean I cant have an opinion as I have watched plenty of old anime . this isn't going to go anywhere. ill remember to not post or interact in your postings because I'm not experienced enough to have an opinion 
This was never a problem until recent years, when a bunch of people with a low number of shows started saying that "they actually watched a lot more shows, they just didn't add everything". This makes it incredibly suspicious every time someone refers to it in an argument. Also, I myself don't add shows that I don't remember well enough to rate them. But if you remember the shows that badly, watching them in the past is pretty formal.
Jan 14, 2023 8:43 AM

Aug 2022
It's always existed. With anime becoming more and more mainstream, recency bias is a lot more noticeable. 
Jan 14, 2023 8:44 AM

Jun 2015
I agree. Voting for best shows has become soulless and highly political. Rewards are no longer about what is good, but what is currently considered main stream politically correct and on message, in particular to current US on message. Been watching anime since I was a teenager and they stick up award categories with titles where shows from 20 years ago would destroy the crap being voted on. But people are not given the choice. Its new, must consume, vote on new. Never mind voting, Im watching a few shows this year which are just regurgitations of things popular last year. Not like I wont watch them, but I miss original content and quality anime stories. Where did it all go wrong. I'm starting to watch more shows coming out of China recently. Japan seems to be swept up in the go woke go broke western zeitgeist.

RobertBobert said:
I think everyone has heard of the "newness bias" phenomenon, where newer things receive more attention and praise or criticism while ignoring older ones. This is especially noticeable during various votings for something better over a certain period, since people are more likely to choose something new and relatively new than something distant.

So. Recently, I began to notice that this phenomenon only intensifies every year and people are already beginning to forget not only what happened 3-4 years ago, but also what even happened in past seasons, despite any hype and praise. And this can hardly be blamed on overly impressionable zoomers like Bocchi the Rock or Licorce Recol earlier, as I doubt people who highly appreciate new shonens and yuri have never heard of MHA or Bloom into you. Tensei Oujo to Tensai Reijou no Mahou Kakumei has already become the highest rated yuri on MAL, despite the huge reputation of Bloom into you, which was released only in 2019.

What do you think of it? Is it really increasing and people fall prey to the "goldfish memory", quickly forgetting what they were praising a couple of years or even just seasons ago? Is the increase in a more inexperienced audience "guilty" of this? Or do you think it's always been like this?
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Jan 14, 2023 10:33 AM

Jun 2022
The recency bias has been going on for years now.

When I started watching anime in 2006, people did not care about the age, one day they would watch Tetsuwan Atom, then the next day, they might catch the newest episode of Oban Star Racers on Jetix. However, even when I started, recency bias existed, but these people were written off as "Naruto fans" or that they "liked 4K!DS" (some low insults of the time). They were seen as an exception somewhere around 2012 or 2013 there was a slight shift in audiences, since a lot of people left around the time of the U.S economic recession in 2008. This "new guard" favored new series as opposed to all of them, Sword Art Online replaced .Hack//, Bleach replaced Dragon Ball and people seemed to forget stuff like Hajime no Ippo (Fighting Spirit), Yu Yu Hakusho (Ghost Files/Ghost Fighter) and even Trigun were made (lest I forget Mai-HiME's popularity in the mid to late 2000s). Today, things are not as severe as the early-mid 2010s, but that is a relative term. A lot of "new guard" fans are louder and Sony funded some YouTube channels to either go away from anime or speak more positively over titles that many older fans would have considered poor. (Lucky Star and K-On saw some of the largest shifts). Even MyAnimeList and AniList weeded out some old reviews that gave some anime a mixed or negative reception (mainly for things like Naruto, Bleach and Black Butler, which were subject to having the fanbase derided for their antics). So the idea of recency bias is considered good for corporate interests, while older series rarely catch the attention of corporations (take Kinnikuman or Dr. Slump, for instance, the former of which could have been successful; had someone dubbed it in the mid-2000s, when Kinnkuman II-sei was popular).

In my opinion, I believe everyone should try an older series, even if it is only Cowboy Bebop or Neon Genesis Evangelion. See if you like it, then work from there based on production values and studios. For example, you could go from Serial Experiments Lain to the 2000 version of Boogiepop Phantom from similar staff members, or from Inuyasha to Ranma 1/2 based on the manga creator. Essentially, find what you like, stick to it, but do not be afraid to try new things. I guess the same can apply to newer series, but there is no benefit to hindsight in watching seasonals, so you could pick up a terrible series, which has happened to me a few times.
Jan 14, 2023 10:56 AM

Apr 2022
If legual streaming services don't even have the og higurashi series in their catalogue, how do you want ppl to remember or notice old anime. Even one of the most popular anime of 2006 isn't avaible on crunchyroll. Only the fake ''remake'' that is a sequel, so you must watch the 2006 anime before. I don't recommend anime that aren't on crunchy roll or netflix to my friends, because they don't want to watch series or movie anywhere else and that's fine, but when legual streaming services just forget about anime before 2010, it's just sad. 
“I won’t rely on anyone anymore. I don’t care if no one understands.” – Homura Akemi
Jan 14, 2023 12:07 PM

Feb 2016
@Usapz
They probably expect people to buy the original Higurashi games through Steam, where they're easily accessible. But yeah, I hate how hard it is to find some of these classics through official sources. A widescreen version of the 2003 Astro Boy has yet to be released in English, for example. The only version ever offered was fullscreen. I don't blindly hate dubs, but let's be real here. Not even casuals are going to watch badly cropped anime in 2023, especially not when it doesn't fit today's TVs.
ใใฎ็›ฎใ ใ‚Œใฎ็›ฎ๏ผŸ
Jan 14, 2023 12:11 PM

Nov 2017
Note that in the last couple years there have been an influx of new anime-watchers, especially since quarantine. Lot's of streaming services also promote new releases so even something noteable from 2019 isn't gonna be something everybody have seen or even on their radar.

Conversations in general tend to be towards topical stuff, a good show from even a year ago is gonna loose traction in general discourse by nature and it's always been like this.

Also the same praise being sung for different entries could have different values applied to that song, and it's not always going to be apparent from somebodies words alone.
Jan 14, 2023 12:19 PM

Dec 2013
In the past people just innocently watched an anime and based on superficial things decided if it was good or not.
But for a few years now, everybody is an expert and suddenly have superior taste and understand anything and everything there is to know about what makes a good anime and vice versa.

Not going to lie, it's annoying to listen, to all the know it alls, but occasionally they do sound cute.
Jan 14, 2023 12:22 PM

Aug 2018
it does seem to be that way. But it's not just anime fans. Like, every time I try to talk about music with my fellow heavy metal loving friends, they all start spamming the most recent thing they found on bandcamp or whatever. Even though it pales in comparison to older bands.

It's like a race to find the newest best thing.
Jan 14, 2023 12:43 PM

Apr 2015
That goes for every media pop culture produces imo. I personally would blame it on social media and people behind advertisement using these fast changing trends for quick popularity. But I don't really blame anyone on this, since at best I think it's just jarring. Plus if anyone asked me I do think industries are more into "quantity before quality" to fill the growing demand before other competitors do it.
Jan 14, 2023 5:24 PM

Oct 2022
I have mocked this before, I seem to remember saying that Chainsaw Man would be forgotten about after December 31st. Just took a look at all the Anime Series forum discussions and I am not wrong. Deader than dead. 
Good. The staying power an anime has is testament to how good it actually was, no matter what th ratings say. And honestly if the current generation can't remember anything before yesterday, then that's something they'll have to figure out one day... if nothing was memorable then nothing from your era had anything to recommend it, then you'll have nothing to pass on. 

**But I have to take issue with your insistence that Bloom into you was a good Yuri... it wasn't much good from where I'm sitting. The mc was like a walking corpse.
Adachi & Shimamura was much better. By like a mile. Even though it disappointed me in the end, Bloom into you disappointed me from the beginning.
Jan 15, 2023 2:12 AM

Nov 2022
People like that are probably some kind of hype chasers who do not even watch anything, just spam forums because they think it makes them cool.

Kongming anime second episode described a stratagem to keep attention of people like that. I do wonder if something like that will work IRL.

If that works they they are beyond sheeple. Someone said 95% of people are idiots.
Buy my awesome BDSM male domination book here  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1174760

Visit my Discord https://discord.com/channels/1047490147794550844/1047490149161898039 I am not there most of the time but you can leave a message.

Or my blog here https://BDSMAnime.blogspot.com/
Or here https://BDSMAnime18.blogspot.com/

Submit to me and become my subject here https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=88107
Jan 15, 2023 8:19 AM

Oct 2014
RobertBobert said:
Bloom into you has always been known to be such a good romance show that you could make the characters straight and it would be still a great romance anime. Because the show has eternal themes. The second mentioned yuri is still queer power fantasy and whatever it looks like now, going forward yuri will still be the main focus of it. Not to mention, praising the show so highly after 1-2 episodes is pretty weird.

If we talk about the Western audience, then the first viewers of MHA were still people 20-25+ years old, since in 2016, when the first season of the show was released, zoomers were still not as widely represented among the audience. If we talk about the original Japanese audience, then I doubt that the then Japanese teenagers could be called zoomers.
Bloom into you was good yeah, and the "ability to change" it into straight romance doesn't change the fact it's still a full fledged Yuri show.
Whereas this new show, as you said, is a fantasy/action with a splash of Yuri in it.
What was the point of this comparison again, people are saying it's the new best Yuri show?
As for the Yuri aspect, personally I wouldn't put it even close to the top.

Regardless, it looks good, it has good vibes, and with experience I can say it will be overall pretty good.
I don't mind praising shows highly even early on when it's warranted, and here it definitely is.
Currently one of the top contenders for anime of the year, especially when new IPs are concerned. 

As for Macadamia, if that is not the "Shonen of Zoomers" then what is? One Piece? Bleach?

ThorLL said:
If that works they they are beyond sheeple. Someone said 95% of people are idiots.
Maybe so, but atleast half of the population is more idiotic than average.
Intelligent gets through situations which wise avoids.
Jan 15, 2023 8:34 AM

Nov 2018
There's more to anime than just your favorite shows. You can obviously enjoy and talk about older shows that you have previously completed, but it's perfectly fine to jump onto new shows and talk about them as well (whilst keeping the older shows in your mind).

“The Moon does not simply disappear when we are not looking at it.” - Einstein.

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Jan 15, 2023 8:49 AM
I guess this is what happens when the quantity increases 
Jan 15, 2023 8:58 AM

Feb 2016
As much as I hate streaming services, new anime is far more accessible than old anime, therefore there will be a bias towards it. The internet has grown enough for them to get huge fanbases because nowadays things go viral pretty easily the same way that hype will settle down until a new season comes in, but on their own circle they're still pretty active, Bocchi the Rock still receives a lot of memes and arts even after it finished airing. 

Netflix is kinda doing god's work putting old anime in their platform (like Monster for example) but as far as that goes, old anime is pretty much left forgotten.

As for seasonals being "forgotten" after a season or some years, that depends on who you're asking or where are you looking. I still Remember a lot of shows that aired without looking at the season anime chart of past years: JoJo part 4 and 5, Mob Psycho 100, Owari no Seraph, Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, Vinland Saga, Bocchi the Rock, Erased, Ajin, Fate/Apocrypha/Extra/UBW, Takagi San, Charlotte, Gatchaman Crowds, Your lie on April, Violet Evergarden, Kokkoku, Inuyashiki, Golden Kamuy, Garo Vanishing Line, Non Non Biyori, Fruits Basket (The Remake), Parasyte, Rozen Maiden 2013, Re:Zero, Grimmoire of Zero, Mahoutsukai no Yome, After the Rain, Natsume Yuujinchou Go & Roku, One Punch Man, Booming into you, Citrus, Highschool DxD BorN & Hero, Shimoseka, Steins;Gate 0, and the list goes on.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Jan 15, 2023 9:22 AM

Apr 2022
Rather, people have no good basis of what they like yet, and what their definition of preference is, reasonable, there is so much to watch, and learn, as to what finally is something coherent to one self.

is it goldfish memory or a learning curve? (where one can also hastily forget their previous interest, because something new, is at that moment so attractive and good, it flips their perspective in a flash) - and or have then trouble, to define their preference, so they rather, forget some for the time being.
Jan 15, 2023 11:40 AM

Apr 2012
Hulio said:
RobertBobert said:
Bloom into you has always been known to be such a good romance show that you could make the characters straight and it would be still a great romance anime. Because the show has eternal themes. The second mentioned yuri is still queer power fantasy and whatever it looks like now, going forward yuri will still be the main focus of it. Not to mention, praising the show so highly after 1-2 episodes is pretty weird.

If we talk about the Western audience, then the first viewers of MHA were still people 20-25+ years old, since in 2016, when the first season of the show was released, zoomers were still not as widely represented among the audience. If we talk about the original Japanese audience, then I doubt that the then Japanese teenagers could be called zoomers.
Bloom into you was good yeah, and the "ability to change" it into straight romance doesn't change the fact it's still a full fledged Yuri show.
Whereas this new show, as you said, is a fantasy/action with a splash of Yuri in it.
What was the point of this comparison again, people are saying it's the new best Yuri show?
As for the Yuri aspect, personally I wouldn't put it even close to the top.

Regardless, it looks good, it has good vibes, and with experience I can say it will be overall pretty good.
I don't mind praising shows highly even early on when it's warranted, and here it definitely is.
Currently one of the top contenders for anime of the year, especially when new IPs are concerned. 

As for Macadamia, if that is not the "Shonen of Zoomers" then what is? One Piece? Bleach?

ThorLL said:
Maybe so, but atleast half of the population is more idiotic than average.
You completely missed the essence of the comparison, just clinging to the letter. The bottom line is that this don't be "just a yuri show", and a yuri show whose message and meaning is wider than just "a good lesbian show". The author's goal was to write the perfect yuri in her mind, and she did this by creating a yuri where lesbians are a reasonable part of the plot, and not just a lesbian fetish for the sake of a lesbian fetish, as in many shows of the genre.

Ah, I feel an attempt to sound sarcastic to cover up the lack of arguments and the ability to answer to the point. Shonen for zoomers is Chainsawman or JJK with their very modern MC's, increased role of female characters and attempts at postmodern story development. The original MHA manga appeared in the early 10's and mostly attracted people who were still at the peak of shonen in the late 00's.
Jan 15, 2023 11:54 AM

Nov 2020
It happens. I usually like an the most shortly after finishing it since my memory fades over time
Jan 15, 2023 11:58 AM

Jul 2013
I remember when Cyberpunk Edgerunners was seeping out into normie communities but now its not even on some top 10 of the year lists. 

The ecosystem of consuming anime dramatically shifted once streaming services became more commonplace than dvd players. Around 2007 is when the average American anime fan could keep up with a season in real time. Before that, the most common form of consumption was literally waiting for a series to be licensed and released on dvd/bluray. Once streaming and simulcasts hit mainstream, the most recent shows got all the hype. Melancholy of Haruhi, Oreimo, SAO, Death Note, Code Geass, all streaming era megahits.
YuriaenJan 15, 2023 12:04 PM
Jan 15, 2023 12:07 PM

Apr 2012
toxicsmurf said:
I remember when Cyberpunk Edgerunners was seeping out into normie communities but now its not even on some top 10 of the year lists. 

The ecosystem of consuming anime dramatically shifted once streaming services became more commonplace than dvd players. Around 2007 is when the average American anime fan could keep up with a season in real time. Before that, the most common form of consumption was literally waiting for a series to be licensed and released on dvd/bluray. Once streaming and simulcasts hit mainstream, the most recent shows got all the hype. Melancholy of Haruhi, Oreimo, SAO, Death Note, Code Geass, all streaming era megahits.
Do you think that easier access to anime somehow "devalues" the uniqueness of it and people switch from one show to another faster?
Jan 15, 2023 12:33 PM

Oct 2014
RobertBobert said:
You completely missed the essence of the comparison, just clinging to the letter. The bottom line is that this don't be "just a yuri show", and a yuri show whose message and meaning is wider than just "a good lesbian show". The author's goal was to write the perfect yuri in her mind, and she did this by creating a yuri where lesbians are a reasonable part of the plot, and not just a lesbian fetish for the sake of a lesbian fetish, as in many shows of the genre.

Ah, I feel an attempt to sound sarcastic to cover up the lack of arguments and the ability to answer to the point. Shonen for zoomers is Chainsawman or JJK with their very modern MC's, increased role of female characters and attempts at postmodern story development. The original MHA manga appeared in the early 10's and mostly attracted people who were still at the peak of shonen in the late 00's
Yeah, I completely did miss the essence, hence I asked.
The new "yuri" doesn't even sound so yuri, so it's surprising if people refer to it as Yuri of the decade or whatever.
If someone asked Yuri recommendations from me, I'd rather direct them to some actual Yuri shows, like the Bloom mentioned earlier.

Also, no I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. It just sounded rather contradictory saying "people who like new stuff haven't heard of MHA" lol.
Also when the manga started is irrelevant. Also if you brought Chainsawman onto this, so I guess when it aired is irrelevant too?
Pretty sure what we're currently seeing in MHA was written much later than what we saw in Chainsawman.
Also Chainsaw was animated last year, whereas MHA is still airing. So by that logic MHA truly is a Shonen for Zoomers.
Jan 15, 2023 12:40 PM

Apr 2022
Hence, humans are not goldfish, so firstly, that is not viable, yet i understand what you mean.
Jan 15, 2023 12:48 PM

Apr 2012
Hulio said:
RobertBobert said:

Ah, I feel an attempt to sound sarcastic to cover up the lack of arguments and the ability to answer to the point. Shonen for zoomers is Chainsawman or JJK with their very modern MC's, increased role of female characters and attempts at postmodern story development. The original MHA manga appeared in the early 10's and mostly attracted people who were still at the peak of shonen in the late 00's
Yeah, I completely did miss the essence, hence I asked.
The new "yuri" doesn't even sound so yuri, so it's surprising if people refer to it as Yuri of the decade or whatever.
If someone asked Yuri recommendations from me, I'd rather direct them to some actual Yuri shows, like the Bloom mentioned earlier.

Also, no I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. It just sounded rather contradictory saying "people who like new stuff haven't heard of MHA" lol.
Also when the manga started is irrelevant. Also if you brought Chainsawman onto this, so I guess when it aired is irrelevant too?
Pretty sure what we're currently seeing in MHA was written much later than what we saw in Chainsawman.
Also Chainsaw was animated last year, whereas MHA is still airing. So by that logic MHA truly is a Shonen for Zoomers.
I don't know what you mean by "yuri", but personally it just annoys me that most of the most popular yuri are actually just yuri shipping bait without any relevant lesbian content. For example, I constantly see people write something like "Love Live is my favorite yuri", without even knowing about the existence of mammoths like Strawberry Panic.

Still ongoing and premiere adaptation are completely different things. With that kind of logic and Dragon Ball with Detective Conan, it's shonen for zoomers. It's clear that many zoomers like MHA, especially after the show became a hit. But the backbone of this show's audience in the West is still 20+ fujoshi and 25+ shonen fans who grew up on Naruto. The West generally loves shonen very much, so judging the audience of such shows only by their desired demographics is rather rash.
Jan 15, 2023 1:22 PM

Oct 2014
RobertBobert said:

I don't know what you mean by "yuri", but personally it just annoys me that most of the most popular yuri are actually just yuri shipping bait without any relevant lesbian content. For example, I constantly see people write something like "Love Live is my favorite yuri", without even knowing about the existence of mammoths like Strawberry Panic.

To me, Yuri isn't just girls... uhh... just shipping baits as you say.
It needs love. I haven't really thought how Yuri and Shoujo Ai differ from each other, but it'd had to be something like Strawberry Panic or Marimite, not Love Live ._.

Still ongoing and premiere adaptation are completely different things. With that kind of logic and Dragon Ball with Detective Conan, it's shonen for zoomers.
Oh I'd definitely draw a difference between Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Super. As it is today it's most definitely Zoomer material lmao.
Jan 15, 2023 1:38 PM

Apr 2012
Hulio said:
RobertBobert said:

To me, Yuri isn't just girls... uhh... just shipping baits as you say.
It needs love.  I haven't really thought how Yuri and Shoujo Ai differ from each other, but it'd had to be something like Strawberry Panic or Marimite, not Love Live ._.

Still ongoing and premiere adaptation are completely different things. With that kind of logic and Dragon Ball with Detective Conan, it's shonen for zoomers.
Oh I'd definitely draw a difference between Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Super. As it is today it's most definitely Zoomer material lmao.
Maybe I'm a grumpy old fan, but I just don't take Super seriously. I can criticize G-Witch for zoomer pandering, but at least they wrote a new story (well, forget about Utena and all that shit for a while) and not just retell the same thing for a new audience.

Shoujo ai is an artificial term. What you understand by MariMite is called Class S. "Friendship as a Platonic Romance" and stuff like that. The Japanese are very fond of it as it allows you to sell you yuri to a yuri audience without even doing yuri, if you know what I mean.
Jan 16, 2023 10:46 AM

Oct 2017
It's mainly to do with people not having enough backbone to watch what they want to watch instead of following a bandwagon to fit in. There are also plenty of new fans, as to which I doubt they would watch old shows over the "next big thing". That ends up including shows like Bocchi, which I'm pretty sure almost nobody would be talking about it in 2024 if there's no new release. Take for example any show from 2018 which skyrocketed: how often are you going to hear someone talk about it on AD?

Another more general thing would be that some people just WANT things to change all of the time. So if you think you're one of those people who are in right now, you won't be in a few years when that "new" thing will die over and another one will just be created. At least we have certain things that stay for decades, centuries, even, but 99% of everything said will not even exist in ~10 years.
Jan 16, 2023 1:04 PM

Dec 2022
This is a psychological effect that most humans have, staying relevant with what is in instead of exploring ones own taste.  It's a "group think" that makes others believe they are also relevant by association.  Unless someone gets wise enough, I'm afraid they are bound to fall under this category.
Jan 16, 2023 2:49 PM

Dec 2021
I generally don't watch Anime as soon as they come out, usually watching things years later, so this doesn't really apply to me. Though I do find that I tend to view stuff I watched a long time ago more favourably than stuff I just watched, because I forgot about all of the really bad parts.

---

I HAVE seen this phenomena in effect, though. When I saw fan-artists spamming out pictures of Lum, (A relatively obscure character from the late '70s) and wondering what the hell is going on (Turns out Urusei Yatsura got a 2022 remake)

She was just being treated as another fad-character, though. Despite her being one of the OG Anime Waifus.
Jan 16, 2023 4:03 PM

Nov 2019
I've just grown up and those things are longer true to me. 
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Jan 16, 2023 4:10 PM

Apr 2022
Just remember people needs fresh air... I have rewatched some of the good stuff many times over but ... you will grow tired of it... then obviously fresh air is most important sometimes because the of need fresh air, I will even watch the supposedly bad stuff xD... don't get stuck in the past too long
Jan 16, 2023 4:22 PM

Aug 2020
A significant amount of shows nowadays nave similar concepts. People tend to flip them over to one another sometimes.

Isekai trend post 2020 is a prime example.

Jan 16, 2023 5:31 PM

Mar 2021
RobertBobert said:

Are people increasingly forgetting what they praised and loved in the past in favor of new shows?

I don't think anyone has really forgotten about Anime they used to praise and love, just there not much reason to talk about them in a contemporary sense. Specifically when dealing with Anime that most of the active MAL community likely has never even bothered to watch.

I remember in the 80s I could turn on nickelodeon and sometimes catch random episodes of "The Little Prince" or even "The Mysterious Cities of Gold". But not like I really loved these shows, they just happened to be airing during a time when I would want to watch tv and would simply just watch what ever was airing.

Even when remembering Anime that I praised and loved in the past such as "Project A-Ko""Gall Force""Fight!! Iczer-1", and even "Gunsmith Cats", It's still not likely many Users these days particularly on MAL have even seen even one of these titles I have listed let alone hard enough to even start a dialogue simply just to have an in depth discussion on any of them.

I remember even the trash OVA throw-ways from over 20 years ago from "Ultimate Teacher" to "Iron Virgin Jun". Even if I enjoyed watching both of these OVAs when I was younger, There not much need to bring them up other than to point out they are both old OVA throw-ways that likely never even got the chance to get a DVD release and a person would likely have an easier time finding them on Laserdisc than VHS (I am proud to own a Laserdisc player these days specifically to collect retro Anime trash like the titles I have just listed). 

Other than creating a topic about retro Anime not like one would would find the need to bring up even the mainstream movie titles like "Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind""Vampire Hunter D", or even "Golgo 13" from the 80s.

Even if you simply just look towards the early 90s not much of a reason to even talk about "Angel Cop" or even "Burn Up!" even if some discussion get brought up about law enforcement Animes.

Unless you grew up during the same time period as I did, it's not likely today many would even take the time to even watch "Devil Hunter Yohko" or even something as obscure as "Compiler"

It's hard enough these days for people to even get their hands on decent enough copy of all these titles I have listed above to even watch unless they have been remastered. One could just simply pirate them I guess, but some Anime from the 80s and 90s have never even gotten a DVD release to be properly enjoyed by modern fans. Even if someone just resorts to watching ripped copies off a Laserdisc or VHS that gets streamed illegally, which right there would ruin 50% of the experience, you might as well not try to watch them at all when at that point it's even below bottom feeder garbage quality.

But to get back on topic I don't think anyone has forgotten what they praised and loved in the past. They simply just don't talk about them.
ColourWheelJan 16, 2023 8:04 PM
Jan 16, 2023 7:55 PM

Apr 2019
- The more you watch, the more you forget. I've seen a lot, and if I was asked to list all of the anime I've seen, I wouldn't be able to do so without looking at my MAL list.

- The less impactful something we have watched is, the greater the likelihood of us forgetting it. This is a common human phenomenon, as we often seek to cope with experiences that are not particularly memorable by pushing them from our minds. Conversely, those things which make a strong impression on us, whether positively or negatively, tend to linger in our memory.

- The more time we spend away from something, the greater the likelihood of forgetting it. For instance, I may not have had a particular affinity for shows such as Dragonball, yet the considerable investment in time I made watching it, coupled with its tremendous popularity, has made it difficult to forget, and it is something I still recall. On the other hand, a show like Beast Tamer, which I only spent four hours of my life on and that had no lasting impact on me, is something I will likely forget in merely a few weeks or a month at most.

I think it has always been like this to some degree, but the rate of "forgetting" has been accelerating in recent years. This could be due to a combination of factors, such as the increasing amount of media available, the growing number of inexperienced viewers, or the increasing speed at which new content is released. No matter the cause, it is undeniable that the "newness bias" phenomenon is becoming more pronounced.

But honestly, I don't care. I think experiencing something new can be a refreshing and welcoming experience. I am especially drawn to such experiences, as I find that they have a greater impact on me due to their novelty. It is also natural for memories to fade over time and for life experiences to change as new experiences are gained. It is impossible to remember every detail of every experience, and it is not necessary to feel guilty for forgetting things.
Jan 16, 2023 11:10 PM

Apr 2014
I didn't know it was possible for someone to forget their favorite anime lol 
New shows usually suck tbh, but the hype for them creates a thin lacquer of conversation that only lasts as long as the show lasts
It's in that window "Newness bias" might creep in, but only if you've barely seen any anime  
Jan 16, 2023 11:43 PM

Jun 2015
Very much, Demon Slayer being voted "anime of the decade" is always fresh in my mind; I love that manga to death, but I don't think its anime of the decade. I have observed the phenomenon in myself as well. I remember praising Black Clover in my head for basing a design off a real person, when over half of One Piece's cast is based on real people. It is unfortunately a kink of the human brain, one can only remember so much and that memory gets even hazier i the collective conscious. The worst part to me is that your point already ties in with newer fans hardly going back to older stuff; before the joke was anime released more than two years ago don't exist and as you've just pointed out, that has been shortened to 2 seasons ago. I haven't been able to participate in seasonal anime discussions since about the end of the 2019 fall season, but I don't think I would be able to at this point. Best one can do is remind people of these older shows, but I swear people think they have dust or don't have patience for older stuff and at first I thought it was just stuff from the 90s prior, but I dread the day people drop Demon Slayer cause "the first episode is too slow"; never show them Dragon Ball or Ashita no Joe .
"I have respect for those who have lived a full life."
- Decim (Death Parade)
"I want to deliver your eulogy."

- Otshepagetse

Jan 17, 2023 1:06 AM

May 2018
"Are people increasingly forgetting what they praised and loved in the past in favor of new shows?"

This is why I am maintaining a list with the anime I liked sorted by years.
Jun 20, 2023 7:41 AM

Apr 2022
For some reason, I think you are rather, letting out some pent frustration, with helpful medium such as anime, with this platform;

Thereby assuming that people are all goldfish, small, and forgetful. Not a very prospective argument you have for wondering why some people forget their anime and such, seems quite intimidating and judgmental.
Jun 20, 2023 7:44 AM

Apr 2012
Yutano99 said:
For some reason, I think you are rather, letting out some pent frustration, with helpful medium such as anime, with this platform;

Thereby assuming that people are all goldfish, small, and forgetful. Not a very prospective argument you have for wondering why some people forget their anime and such, seems quite intimidating and judgmental.
I don't understand why you are generalizing my comment and making it personal, even though I just decided to discuss a completely neutral thing. You tried to accuse me of being judgmental and generalizing, but in reality you only replaced my original comment with a scarecrow.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» what is the best slice of life anime and why ?

ame - 48 minutes ago

5 by Serafos »»
9 seconds ago

Poll: » Your favourite romance ( 1 2 )

Jackson_rajkumar - Today

68 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
4 minutes ago

» Why do people like consuming media watching specifically opposite sex get together? ( 1 2 )

Oshieteoshiete4 - Yesterday

84 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
14 minutes ago

» When was the last time you felt happy/satisfied after watching an anime episode? :)

Rinrinka - Mar 27

30 by Entity72 »»
30 minutes ago

» What does the Anime you watch say about you

ST63LTH - Yesterday

21 by Jozuwa-_- »»
30 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.