Forum Settings
Forums

Are people increasingly forgetting what they praised and loved in the past in favor of new shows?

New
Jan 14, 2023 3:09 AM

Apr 2012
I think everyone has heard of the "newness bias" phenomenon, where newer things receive more attention and praise or criticism while ignoring older ones. This is especially noticeable during various votings for something better over a certain period, since people are more likely to choose something new and relatively new than something distant.

So. Recently, I began to notice that this phenomenon only intensifies every year and people are already beginning to forget not only what happened 3-4 years ago, but also what even happened in past seasons, despite any hype and praise. And this can hardly be blamed on overly impressionable zoomers like Bocchi the Rock or Licorce Recol earlier, as I doubt people who highly appreciate new shonens and yuri have never heard of MHA or Bloom into you. Tensei Oujo to Tensai Reijou no Mahou Kakumei has already become the highest rated yuri on MAL, despite the huge reputation of Bloom into you, which was released only in 2019.

What do you think of it? Is it really increasing and people fall prey to the "goldfish memory", quickly forgetting what they were praising a couple of years or even just seasons ago? Is the increase in a more inexperienced audience "guilty" of this? Or do you think it's always been like this?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 14, 2023 3:12 AM

Feb 2013
i still remember when timeless classics like vivy and takt op aired...
Jan 14, 2023 3:15 AM

Apr 2012
romagia said:
i still remember when timeless classics like vivy and takt op aired...
I don't presume to judge Tact Op, this show did not impress me, but as I noticed, now many shows are hyped only within their season, maybe two or three after, and then it's just remembered only in thematic threads or videos.
Jan 14, 2023 3:32 AM

May 2019
I have never forgotten about my old anime in fact i relish in it.
Jan 14, 2023 3:38 AM

Mar 2012
I'm most certainly guilty of doing it. I tend to forget anime after a few moths of watching it, if it's over then it's over there is nothing to remind me of it and slowly my memories of it become more and more vague. I just don't want to get deeply involved with any anime anymore.
Jan 14, 2023 3:42 AM

Feb 2020
Not a new thing, it as always been there just like nostalgia effect.

Not everyone can see everything or appreciate everything. U have old audience watching old stuff and u have new audience watching new stuff.
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Jan 14, 2023 3:43 AM

Mar 2021
I would of thought it was the opposite people are too nostalgic for old shows that weren't as good as they might remember. 

Jan 14, 2023 3:44 AM

Jan 2018
i guess goldfish memory is a required ability at this point given how low they would go to make money with little effort. 
Jan 14, 2023 3:46 AM

Apr 2012
Adampk said:

Not everyone can see everything or appreciate everything. U have old audience watching old stuff and u have new audience watching new stuff.
I don't think old-new is relevant here when people forget the main overhype from five years ago in favor of a newer show. I can understand the popularity of Bocchi the Rock, the likes of CGDCT haven't been around in a while. But we literally had one of the main yuri of the decade in 2019.
Jan 14, 2023 3:48 AM

Apr 2012
asistedboat said:
I would of thought it was the opposite people are too nostalgic for old shows that weren't as good as they might remember. 
The nostalgia syndrome is more common in people who feel disillusioned with modern media and/or experience loss of identity in adulthood. It's never been mainstream, unless the ENTIRE industry is stagnating like modern Hollywood.
Jan 14, 2023 3:49 AM

Feb 2020
RobertBobert said:
Adampk said:

I don't think old-new is relevant here when people forget the main overhype from five years ago in favor of a newer show. I can understand the popularity of Bocchi the Rock, the likes of CGDCT haven't been around in a while. But we literally had one of the main yuri of the decade in 2019.

No, old new indeed very relevant. There were simply a lot of audience who entered anime medium due to covid lockdown which happened post 2019. Plus Yuri of the decade is a very subjective title based on how what u are referring
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Jan 14, 2023 3:50 AM

Aug 2021
with all confidence, absolutely not me!

Jan 14, 2023 3:52 AM

Oct 2010
I noticed these days a sorta consumerism behavior in regards to watching anime, like people just watch anime for the sake of watching it, not really for enjoyment, more like the enjoyment of following popular trends, that's why everyone forgets. I bet no one remembers Nazuna today
Jan 14, 2023 3:52 AM

Apr 2012
Adampk said:
RobertBobert said:

No, old new indeed very relevant. There were simply a lot of audience who entered anime medium due to covid lockdown which happened post 2019. Plus Yuri of the decade is a very subjective title
Name me a more influential and famous yuri from the 10s than the adaptation of Bloom into you. And I highly doubt that people who started watching anime in 2020-2021 could ignore the show of 2019, especially which was praised by many as one of the best in a fairly current genre. I started watching anime again in 2016 and I didn't even have any special intentions about it, but I kept tripping over shows from 2015-2014 anyway.
Jan 14, 2023 3:55 AM

Apr 2012
Catalano said:
I noticed these days a sorta consumerism behavior in regards to watching anime, like people just watch anime for the sake of watching it, not really for enjoyment, more like the enjoyment of following popular trends, that's why everyone forgets. I bet no one remembers Nazuna today
This is called consumer thinking. When consumption becomes an end in itself and is largely done for the sake of obtaining a status like "I drive a Ferrari because it's cool, not because I like a Ferrari." But this is the territory of motives, so it's hard to talk about it with certainty.
Jun 2021
RobertBobert said:
I think everyone has heard of the "newness bias" phenomenon, where newer things receive more attention and praise or criticism while ignoring older ones. This is especially noticeable during various votings for something better over a certain period, since people are more likely to choose something new and relatively new than something distant.

So. Recently, I began to notice that this phenomenon only intensifies every year and people are already beginning to forget not only what happened 3-4 years ago, but also what even happened in past seasons, despite any hype and praise. And this can hardly be blamed on overly impressionable zoomers like Bocchi the Rock or Licorce Recol earlier, as I doubt people who highly appreciate new shonens and yuri have never heard of MHA or Bloom into you. Tensei Oujo to Tensai Reijou no Mahou Kakumei has already become the highest rated yuri on MAL, despite the huge reputation of Bloom into you, which was released only in 2019.

What do you think of it? Is it really increasing and people fall prey to the "goldfish memory", quickly forgetting what they were praising a couple of years or even just seasons ago? Is the increase in a more inexperienced audience "guilty" of this? Or do you think it's always been like this?

Hype train. Hype. Train.
People these days only care about hype and not the merits of a show. It's not just anime, everything subscribes to the hype.
It's trendy to be a sheeple who follows the seasonal hype. Having your own taste is bound to make you look weird on some websites.
Hot Blood saves lives.

Mar 2021
RobertBobert said:
asistedboat said:
The nostalgia syndrome is more common in people who feel disillusioned with modern media and/or experience loss of identity in adulthood. It's never been mainstream, unless the ENTIRE industry is stagnating like modern Hollywood.

idk the way you're making it out sounds like a disease or mental illness i think people just have fond memory and especially when they are young don't remember everything. like for me my favorite cartoon when i was a kid was Tom and Jerry and it wasn't till i was a teenager i realized that it was a mostly silent tv show and i couldn't what something like that nowadays 

Jan 14, 2023 3:56 AM

Apr 2022
I'm open for new things, when Im watching anime I know that there is better done anime than the new ones if the that's truly the case, with that's said, we tend to ride the hype of the moment when the new becomes old, we will have it in our past memories basket that are then put together in pantheon of top the tier anime of high quality (if it does qualify) it will be judge on the same level (if possible).
Jan 14, 2023 4:00 AM

Sep 2018
If we talk about score and rankings, recency bias exists because most anime watchers are newcomers, so they cannot even compare the new stuff with the old. As a matter of fact, the vast majority of new anime are ranked much lower on RedditAnimeList than MAL: it makes sense that, on average, someone who'd bother linking their MAL and Reddit accounts is more experienced than those who don't (just as the average MAL user has more experience than the average casual watcher).

Regarding our own perception, I feel that nostalgia bias can be just as strong as recency bias. They kinda balance each other, but mistakes can happen sometimes and that's why rewatching is important. 
NirinboJan 14, 2023 4:10 AM
Jan 14, 2023 4:04 AM

Apr 2012
asistedboat said:
RobertBobert said:

idk the way you're making it out sounds like a disease or mental illness i think people just have fond memory and especially when they are young don't remember everything. like for me my favorite cartoon when i was a kid was Tom and Jerry and it wasn't till i was a teenager i realized that it was a mostly silent tv show and i couldn't what something like that nowadays 
Because that's how nostalgia works. This word translates as "homesickness" and was first discovered in soldiers who were outside their homeland after the war. Excessive and overly expressive nostalgia in most cases indicates that the person is experiencing a loss of identity and is frustrated with the current situation. That's why the nostalgia trend is especially strong these days. Even when the media intentionally motivate it, they get into it as the bosses try to reclaim old earnings using old brands to get rid of current problems.

TheMechaManiac said:
RobertBobert said:

Hype train. Hype. Train.
People these days only care about hype and not the merits of a show. It's not just anime, everything subscribes to the hype.
It's trendy to be a sheeple who follows the seasonal hype. Having your own taste is bound to make you look weird on some websites.
Are you saying that before people weren't so focused on seasonal shows?
Jan 14, 2023 4:06 AM

Dec 2015
Well I do remember that each season something is been talked about because of something, remember when Citrus was coming out? Adachi to Shimamura? When we speak about Yuri. Or before stuff like Redo of Healer or Ishuzoku Reviewers came out, when Goblin Slayer was aired and people were pissed off with that single scene from first episode and a bunch years later the same people were excited with Redo of Healer x), forgetting what they've said about Goblin Slayer.

In every season since years, stuff are talked about and being rated highly for a short/longer time, these which are talked for a longer time and being rated highly become later something which we might say "classics" for ex. when FmaB was coming out, Gintama, Steins Gate, HxH, Dragon Ball, Ginga Eiyuu, Code Geass. Like don't forget that they used to be a seasonall too x)
Jan 14, 2023 4:09 AM

Apr 2012
Zettaiken said:
Well I do remember that each season something is been talked about because of something, remember when Citrus was coming out? Adachi to Shimamura? When we speak about Yuri. Or before stuff like Redo of Healer or Ishuzoku Reviewers came out, when Goblin Slayer was aired and people were pissed off with that single scene from first episode and a bunch years later the same people were excited with Redo of Healer x), forgetting what they've said about Goblin Slayer.

In every season since years, stuff are talked about and being rated highly for a short/longer time, these which are talked for a longer time and being rated highly become later something which we might say "classics" for ex. when FmaB was coming out, Gintama, Steins Gate, HxH, Dragon Ball, Ginga Eiyuu, Code Geass. Like don't forget that they used to be a seasonall too x)
Heh, I recently met a man who, with an imaginary monocle, was talking about the state of modern anime, but not only he had never watched Bleach, but had never even heard the name.
Jan 14, 2023 4:11 AM

Dec 2015
RobertBobert said:
Heh, I recently met a man who, with an imaginary monocle, was talking about the state of modern anime, but not only he had never watched Bleach, but had never even heard the name.

Well I am not even surprised, few times I've had to explain what anime is, due to it's popularity here, so I am not even surprised with someone not knowing a certain title.
Jan 14, 2023 4:13 AM

Apr 2012
Zettaiken said:
RobertBobert said:

Well I am not even surprised, few times I've had to explain what anime is, due to it's popularity here, so I am not even surprised with someone not knowing a certain title.
Well, I can imagine that someone is not familiar with anime and does not know such a high-profile show, but I was impressed that in 2023 it is no longer necessary even to know about the existence of Bleach in order to claim the status of an elitist who pours shit on "modern overhype ".
Jan 14, 2023 4:15 AM

Mar 2021
im sure what youre saying is true and accurate but i dont think every single case of nostalgia is that deep im nostalgic for some of the video games and anime i watched when i was young but i dont think that im  experiencing a loss of identity and is frustrated with the current situation. again im sure in some cases yes not most of the time no

Jan 14, 2023 4:19 AM

Apr 2012
asistedboat said:
im sure what youre saying is true and accurate but i dont think every single case of nostalgia is that deep im nostalgic for some of the video games and anime i watched when i was young but i dont think that im  experiencing a loss of identity and is frustrated with the current situation. again im sure in some cases yes not most of the time no
You are confusing nostalgia as a phenomenon with a very strong, over-focus on nostalgia. Love for old anime can still symbolize a disillusionment with modern anime, but as long as you don't start watching only old anime and spend all your time complaining that "anime isn't the same anymore", it's fine.
Jan 14, 2023 4:27 AM

Dec 2015
RobertBobert said:
Zettaiken said:

Well, I can imagine that someone is not familiar with anime and does not know such a high-profile show, but I was impressed that in 2023 it is no longer necessary even to know about the existence of Bleach in order to claim the status of an elitist who pours shit on "modern overhype ".

Well I suppose it is possible, especially when you use sites of your native language instead of mal/anilist, cause in those sites you often don't have info about what is seasonal what isn't not to mention what is a main stream or not, for me it took quite a long time till 2015-2016 to realise what is main stream, before that I haven't knew what is popular, what is main stream, what is seasonals cause there were no information about that in sites I've been to x). [Even if I've watched NGNL, SAO II and Bleach seasonally I didn't even know that it is called like that]

So such person can be in the same situation but instead in 2015/2016 he/she would be in that situation in 2023 which is also possible, a little bit less than few years ago but still very possible.
Jan 14, 2023 4:28 AM

Mar 2021
yea getting nostalgia for a show and thinking wow that was good then moving on is very common and normal but if you think of that show then all you do is watch shows from that era do things you would of been doing at the age you watched it etc. that's a problem and obviously something else would be going on in that persons life to Triger such a reaction i think we are very much on the same page. i think we where both thinking of different levels of nostalgia (:

Jan 14, 2023 4:33 AM

Apr 2012
Zettaiken said:
RobertBobert said:

Well I suppose it is possible, especially when you use sites of your native language instead of mal/anilist, cause in those sites you often don't have info about what is seasonal what isn't not to mention what is a main stream or not, for me it took quite a long time till 2015-2016 to realise what is main stream, before that I haven't knew what is popular, what is main stream, what is seasonals cause there were no information about that in sites I've been to x). [Even if I've watched NGNL, SAO II and Bleach seasonally I didn't even know that it is called like that]

So such person can be in the same situation but instead in 2015/2016 he/she would be in that situation in 2023 which is also possible, a little bit less than few years ago but still very possible.
Well, I don't know how it is in Poland, but in Russia and Ukraine the shows used to be mostly divided into classics, popular shows and new shows. You need, as they say, to "know the kitchen" of the community and spin in it for a couple of years to begin to understand what the mainstream is and how much the popularity of certain shows costs. 
Jan 14, 2023 4:34 AM

Feb 2020
RobertBobert said:
Name me a more influential and famous yuri from the 10s than the adaptation of Bloom into you.

According to mal, (both members and score) it would be Yuri yuri
I have not watched any of them, so i myself don't hold any opinion.

And I highly doubt that people who started watching anime in 2020-2021 could ignore the show of 2019, especially which was praised by many as one of the best in a fairly current genre. I started watching anime again in 2016 and I didn't even have any special intentions about it, but I kept tripping over shows from 2015-2014 anyway.

Yuri genre itself in not popular enough to be tripping over shows from past unless u are looking specifically.
Plus Ongoing anime are topic of hype and high rating is a regular thing in most genre. (Maybe it's not a commen thing for yuri genre which is niche and have smaller pool. But it's commen thing in big genre like action or slice of life or comedy)

This thread is obviously a reaction to this particular thread. I don't see people ignore anything all that much in it.

If u came up with that "newness bias" because of that shows rating. Aren't u also having newness bias? Since this show is the one provoked u at this particular time period instead of a non ongoing anime.
AdampkJan 14, 2023 4:51 AM
BIO

Jan 14, 2023 4:38 AM

Apr 2012
Adampk said:
RobertBobert said:
Name me a more influential and famous yuri from the 10s than the adaptation of Bloom into you.

And I highly doubt that people who started watching anime in 2020-2021 could ignore the show of 2019, especially which was praised by many as one of the best in a fairly current genre. I started watching anime again in 2016 and I didn't even have any special intentions about it, but I kept tripping over shows from 2015-2014 anyway.

Yuri genre itself in not popular enough to be tripping over shows from past unless u are looking specifically.
Plus Ongoing anime are topic of hype and high rating is a regular thing in most genre. (Maybe it's not a commen thing for yuri genre which is niche and have smaller pool. But it's commen thing in big genre like action or slice of life or comedy)

This thread is obviously a reaction to [url=https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2069999] this particular thread. I don't see people ignore anything all that much in it.

If u came up with that "newness bias" because of that shows rating. Aren't u also having newness bias? Since this show is the one provoked u and u didn't make this thread for all the past high rated anime.
As I thought, you can't name a more influential and highly regarded yuri from that era already.

Lol, are you literally trying to accuse me of "creating" this? With the same logic, you can accuse me of "inventing nostalgia". Please at least google about a thing if you don't know anything about it before using it as an argument. And yes, despite the clumsiness of your attempt to accuse me of novelty bias myself, I'm human too, and I too tend to be biased in favor of new shows. Sorry your attempt didn't work.
Jan 14, 2023 4:42 AM
Jun 2021
RobertBobert said:
asistedboat said:

Because that's how nostalgia works. This word translates as "homesickness" and was first discovered in soldiers who were outside their homeland after the war. Excessive and overly expressive nostalgia in most cases indicates that the person is experiencing a loss of identity and is frustrated with the current situation. That's why the nostalgia trend is especially strong these days. Even when the media intentionally motivate it, they get into it as the bosses try to reclaim old earnings using old brands to get rid of current problems.

TheMechaManiac said:

Hype train. Hype. Train.

As far as I know, no. At least not with anime. From what I hear liking anime back in the 2000s was very different from now. Shounen still got hype, sure, but you weren't looked down for preferring mecha, or slice of life or any other genre over shounen.
The social networks changed all that for the worse and created a toxic climate which penalizes thinking outside the box and liking anything that's not popular or "critically acclaimed".
Hot Blood saves lives.
Jan 14, 2023 4:48 AM

Feb 2020
RobertBobert said:
Adampk said:

As I thought, you can't name a more influential and highly regarded yuri from that era already.

unless u are blind to read, I did name one based of the data available. But as far as accuracy goes, i can't obviously vouch since it don't watch that genre

Lol, are you literally trying to accuse me of "creating" this? With the same logic, you can accuse me of "inventing nostalgia". And yes, despite the clumsiness of your attempt to accuse me of novelty bias myself, I'm human too, and I too tend to be biased in favor of new shows. Sorry your attempt didn't work.

I only attempted to answer ur forum question by backtracing where it came from. I can't do anything if u are dissatisfied by the finding. Logically I sure don't have bais over both shows since i have not watched either of them. So I should be a neutral person here
BIO

Jan 14, 2023 4:48 AM

Apr 2012
TheMechaManiac said:
RobertBobert said:

As far as I know, no. At least not with anime. From what I hear liking anime back in the 2000s was very different from now. Shounen still got hype, sure, but you weren't looked down for preferring mecha, or slice of life or any other genre over shounen.
The social networks changed all that for the worse and created a toxic climate which penalizes thinking outside the box and liking anything that's not popular or "critically acclaimed".
Well, I do remember the days when shows like K-ON! got a lot of criticism for the moe element, because people were annoyed that nothing was happening in it. But back then it was something new and there weren't enough fetishists and twitter people in the community to constantly sing about their love of "wholesomeness" as it is now.
Jan 14, 2023 4:50 AM

Dec 2015
RobertBobert said:
Zettaiken said:

Well, I don't know how it is in Poland, but in Russia and Ukraine the shows used to be mostly divided into classics, popular shows and new shows. You need, as they say, to "know the kitchen" of the community and spin in it for a couple of years to begin to understand what the mainstream is and how much the popularity of certain shows costs. 

In first site where I was watching Bleach and other stuff like Fate and Sao, it has nothing written about them, not to mention that it is a small site where you might watch rn like 40-50 shows at max [?] it is like Netflix but without rating of how much people like that, so that's why I never knew about such terms, the other site which later I was using had a very little information about Season, but still I didn't know what it meant, it had also ratings but till today it doesn't have a proper ranking so what's the point of a rating if you ain't knowing what are the top 10-100-1000 x).

As you've said, I've started to get it just when I've started to lurk around Myanimelist and what information are there, after a while terms like New Shows, Hype/Overhype, Underrated, Seasonals, Mainstream are stuff which I've learnt back than.
Jan 14, 2023 4:53 AM

Apr 2012
Adampk said:
RobertBobert said:
You are ignoring the context because of the dry scores. Yuru Yuri received a lot of praise for being an older series with a wider audience as a rather funny and meme CGDCT. I appreciate that you consider yourself neutral, but this part of my post was not about that. And that you tried to accuse me of creating a rather famous phenomenon instead of googling about it and ended up looking pretty silly. But I still warn you that if you continue to break my messages into parts, then I will simply stop responding.
Jan 14, 2023 4:56 AM

Apr 2012
Zettaiken said:
RobertBobert said:

In first site where I was watching Bleach and other stuff like Fate and Sao, it has nothing written about them, not to mention that it is a small site where you might watch rn like 40-50 shows at max [?] it is like Netflix but without rating of how much people like that, so that's why I never knew about such terms, the other site which later I was using had a very little information about Season, but still I didn't know what it meant, it had also ratings but till today it doesn't have a proper ranking so what's the point of a rating if you ain't knowing what are the top 10-100-1000 x).

As you've said, I've started to get it just when I've started to lurk around Myanimelist and what information are there, after a while terms like New Shows, Hype/Overhype, Underrated, Seasonals, Mainstream are stuff which I've learnt back than.
Haha, my first anime source was a local ftp server where you could just randomly find something and watch it up (2007-2008). Of course, we also had our own local anime forum, but the people there valued their own experience more than any of the show's reputation.
Jan 14, 2023 5:01 AM

Sep 2010
More like the opposite, I'm too nostalgic and compare everything to the good stuff back then so my view is quite tainted.
Jan 14, 2023 5:02 AM

Feb 2018
A 1982/1984 Mecha, and a 2004 Anime Lady.

Neither Popular nor Critically Acclaimed, -except perhaps by a relative few old geezers out there-
but i sure wouldn't give either up for the World;

Jan 14, 2023 5:03 AM
"Oasis"

May 2022
There's always going to be the group who chases after the "shiny new coat of paint" and forgets the "patina of past", the opposite is also true. To answer the title of your post, personally, I don't forget what I loved and praised in the past. I know 10 years from now I'll still be rewatching Call of the Night and many others from my favorites.
Jan 14, 2023 5:09 AM

Apr 2012
Skwidee said:
There's always going to be the group who chases after the "shiny new coat of paint" and forgets the "patina of past", the opposite is also true. To answer the title of your post, personally, I don't forget what I loved and praised in the past. I know 10 years from now I'll still be rewatching Call of the Night and many others from my favorites.
The more shows you watch and the older you get, the more you'll be away from it. Not necessarily forgetting and ignoring your old favorite shows, but just moving more towards new ones. Look at my list of favorites with 1000+ watched shows. With every 1-2 years, it increases for years to come. A couple of years ago, most of the shows there were no older than 2017. This is normal, as you are either expanding your horizons or clinging to something you saw in the past. 
Jan 14, 2023 5:14 AM

Oct 2014
RobertBobert said:
as I doubt people who highly appreciate new shonens and yuri have never heard of MHA or Bloom into you. Tensei Oujo to Tensai Reijou no Mahou Kakumei has already become the highest rated yuri on MAL, despite the huge reputation of Bloom into you, which was released only in 2019.

Is the increase in a more inexperienced audience "guilty" of this? Or do you think it's always been like this?
U wot o_o
I thought MHA was the Shonen of Zoomers.

As for Tensai Reijou, it isn't that much of a Yuri so far as it is just well animated and great looking fantasy.
Whereas Bloom into You is nothing but Yuri. No wonder this new show has bigger audience.

But yes, the more new watchers we get, the more viewers the new shows gets aswell - there is and always has been Bias towards new.
Checking my personal records too, I watched a lot more 10's animes than 00's, which I saw more than 90's, so that speaks for itself aswell.

There's so much shit (so to say) these days, that there's bound to be couple diamonds, shiny or in the rough within it, and the contrast to the mass just makes them shinier.
Us longtime watchers may be more impartial towards it, but anyone new just sees a glittering pile with cherry on top.

But yes, these new shows you mentioned, Bocchi, Lycoris, Tensai, they're all good shows, some of the best of the year, so of course they're gonna be well regarded.
Intelligent gets through situations which wise avoids.
Jan 14, 2023 5:18 AM

Jan 2017
I can think of two reasons for this:-

1). First the quantity of shows every season. Any person who watches seasonals and lets consider 4-5 shows per season on an average would find it difficult to remember them after a certain period of time. There is a limit to how much our brain can process. I'm not generalising this for every seasonal watcher though.

2). There has been increase in casual fans too lately who just watch hyped shows and popular stuff. So basically its a rare possiblity that these kind of people will get attached to any show emotionally. They will get on the hype train of another show after some time.
silent_knight98Jan 14, 2023 6:28 AM
Jan 14, 2023 5:23 AM

Dec 2015
RobertBobert said:
Zettaiken said:

Haha, my first anime source was a local ftp server where you could just randomly find something and watch it up (2007-2008). Of course, we also had our own local anime forum, but the people there valued their own experience more than any of the show's reputation.

Oh..

The first site had no forum, the second had but like with Mal I've never searched for it.
Out of curiosity I wanted to check what right now the first site has to offer [yes the site still exists] Here we go:
86, Akudama, Appare, Assasins Pride, Black Clover, Bleach, Naruto, Blue Lock, CSM, Code Geass, Darwin Game, Dr. Stone, Fire Force, Fairy Tail, Gintama, Gleipnir, Heion Sedai, HxH, Jjk, Kami no Tou, DS, Kill la Kill, Magi, One Piece, Ousama Ranking, Plunderer, SnK, Spy Family, God of Highschool, Neverland - As titles of "Main Stream" - cause they are in main page without going into "more"

Isekai Main Stream [Got Surprised that the site separated now it in 3 genres/"Worlds" -> Shounen, Isekai and Nichijou]: Accel, Arifureta, Danmachi, Full Dive, Genjitsu, Goblin Slayer, Hachian, Infinite Dendrogam, Kenja no Mago, Kimisen, Log Horizon, Made in Abyss, Mushoku Tensei, NGNL, Overlord, Re Zero, Sentouin, Shinchou Yuusha, Solo Leveling [will be], Sao, Shield Hero, Sword Isekai

Nichijou: Clannad, Decadence, To Your Eternity, Kyouko Suiri, Somali, Suisei no Gargantia.

The last Category "outside the main stream" are "Others and Abandoned":
Fate series - F/Z, F/SN og, F/SN Tv Repro, F/UBW Movie, Lunar Tsukihime, Kara no Kyoukai, Carnival Phantasm, Cp Ex, Kaleid s1, Kaleid Zwei, F/UBW, Kaleid Herz, Kaleid Drei, Grand Order movie [everything after that got abandoned]
Darker than Black, Fmab, Beck, Soul Eater, Katanagatari, Air, Btoom, Campione, Chuunibyou, Code Breaker, Hyouka, Kanon, Kokoro Connect, Lucky Star, Nana, Oda Nobuna, Psycho Pass, Robotics Notes, Shinsekai Yori, Haruhi, Tamako Market, Tari Tari, Tonari no Kaibutsu.

Remember that alot of them got added, when I was in this site it was 2007-2012 so stuff which were already finished airing in these times [exceptions are Bleach, Naruto and One Piece] was there and the only thing to "sell" the anime to you, is the list of categories and a single visual key, so if you'd look up into my higher/lower rated anime and check what was available in that site you'll realise about stuff I've liked and not liked only because I had no other references. [In second site started by similar stuff such as Guilty Crown, Angel Beats]

Which is why I have a habit till today that I go completely blind into an anime, I know only genres and visual key of any seasonal and go blindly, the only thing I check is if that title has a prequel, and you'd see that it is actually my tactic with all seasonals x)

Here I've edited 4 titles from "Others and Abandoned" which were back than too, with such Visuals chosing and description, I guess people shouldn't be surprised why Fmab got rated lower and Psycho-Pass/Darker than Black are higher

And here is how "Searching Anime" works in the second site, untill you find the way how to separate genres which took me a long time and realise how to click it, than you're fine, but back than I was a teen so I knew only the basics of grammar and nothing about internet sites:

So in the end I would get tired of that and I'd end up in the main page where you have only Seasonals [back than for me it was like "main recommended" or best shows cause it was in main page, guess I was wrong x)] and it would look like this [it took me a year to realise that there are arrows on sides so I can scroll all the titles instead of seeing randomized 6 titles and that I can click somewhere else to have a huge seasonal chart like in Myanimelist, about that chart in this site I've learnt like 2 years ago tbh]:

It was quite easy to find a very bad anime title as your first one, so jokes about Boku no Pico being first title wouldn't be a surprise with that bigger site [Biggest site in Poland].
Jan 14, 2023 5:24 AM

Apr 2012
Hulio said:
RobertBobert said:
as I doubt people who highly appreciate new shonens and yuri have never heard of MHA or Bloom into you. Tensei Oujo to Tensai Reijou no Mahou Kakumei has already become the highest rated yuri on MAL, despite the huge reputation of Bloom into you, which was released only in 2019.

Is the increase in a more inexperienced audience "guilty" of this? Or do you think it's always been like this?
U wot o_o
I thought MHA was the Shonen of Zoomers.

As for Tensai Reijou, it isn't that much of a Yuri so far as it is just well animated and great looking fantasy.
Whereas Bloom into You is nothing but Yuri. No wonder this new show has bigger audience.

But yes, the more new watchers we get, the more viewers the new shows gets aswell - there is and always has been Bias towards new.
Checking my personal records too, I watched a lot more 10's animes than 00's, which I saw more than 90's, so that speaks for itself aswell.

There's so much shit (so to say) these days, that there's bound to be couple diamonds, shiny or in the rough within it, and the contrast to the mass just makes them shinier.
Us longtime watchers may be more impartial towards it, but anyone new just sees a glittering pile with cherry on top.

But yes, these new shows you mentioned, Bocchi, Lycoris, Tensai, they're all good shows, some of the best of the year, so of course they're gonna be well regarded.
Bloom into you has always been known to be such a good romance show that you could make the characters straight and it would be still a great romance anime. Because the show has eternal themes. The second mentioned yuri is still queer power fantasy and whatever it looks like now, going forward yuri will still be the main focus of it. Not to mention, praising the show so highly after 1-2 episodes is pretty weird.

If we talk about the Western audience, then the first viewers of MHA were still people 20-25+ years old, since in 2016, when the first season of the show was released, zoomers were still not as widely represented among the audience. If we talk about the original Japanese audience, then I doubt that the then Japanese teenagers could be called zoomers.
Jan 14, 2023 5:30 AM

Apr 2012
@Zettaiken I've heard something about it, sort of like some people's tendency to not read past the headlines. This works especially well on sites with a large selection of content, as instinctively switching to old pages can feel like checking out old or outright outdated information.
Jan 14, 2023 5:38 AM

Nov 2020
They always doing that, they are easily get distracted with new shows came out and forgetting what they praised and loved in the past.
What Does Pot of Greed do?
Jan 14, 2023 5:42 AM

Feb 2020
RobertBobert said:
Adampk said:
You are ignoring the context because of the dry scores. Yuru Yuri received a lot of praise for being an older series with a wider audience as a rather funny and meme CGDCT. I appreciate that you consider yourself neutral, but this part of my post was not about that. And that you tried to accuse me of creating a rather famous phenomenon instead of googling about it and ended up looking pretty silly. But I still warn you that if you continue to break my messages into parts, then I will simply stop responding.

I was only breaking it into parts, since it's easier to communicate. Not sure what is there to be offended about that aspect. I can only guess u not seeing my reply of yuri anime name is the reason lol. But, yeah if u want to stop responding, i sure am not stopping u.

As for rest, I didn't ignore the context. I infact took in consideration of all the context which is not directly available. I read OP. i remembered seeing the highest rated yuri thread and then I went back and checked and saw ur reply. Finally I checked yuri page too before answering. I even took in account of my knowledge of action shounen ( a eg which u mentioned), from where I concluded that niche genre yuri and cgdct are getting more exposure recently due to newer incoming audience and follow the hype trend of action shounen and Even the thread praising or criticizing or pointing it out using fancy words, tables or data are part of associated trend.

Also i actually did Google "newness bias" too. That's how I came up with the notion that u are also a part of this phenomenon.
First thing that came in google is
Seeing things as more important because they are new.

New knowledge is both a blessing and a curse. It is a blessing when you compare medieval to contemporary findings in medicine, ethics, physics. It is also a curse because it seems our minds are made to select for new information even at a steep cost of its quality.

From this, I hypothesized that u saw the "highest rated yuri thread" which is the new thing here and found it more important than say for eg threads from 2017 where people pointed out mha S2 being rated than big 3. This creating a thread about newness bias through newness bias.

If this is too hard to understand and looks silly to u, I can't do anything about it unfortunately.
BIO

Jan 14, 2023 7:39 AM

Feb 2022
I will never forget about my favourite Kissxsis, Yosuga no sora and Vinland saga
[/url]
Jan 14, 2023 7:54 AM

Jan 2013
Anime is like the most instant gratification medium to ever exist, so it's not surprising to me whatsoever. 

Also, another Robert thread under the pretext of discussion, but we all know it's just so he can argue with people. 
LostSpectreJan 14, 2023 7:58 AM
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

88 by Saiunknown »»
1 minute ago

» Thoughts on NA?

lezbifriends - May 19

25 by Lhundrup »»
3 minutes ago

» What's the most interesting thing that came out of an anime girl's mouth?

Catalano - 56 minutes ago

13 by Loyal_Sheepling »»
6 minutes ago

» How many completed is considered a lot to you ( 1 2 3 )

Ice-Cube - Jul 9, 2022

106 by KitsuFrost »»
18 minutes ago

Poll: » Is the harem genre trashy? ( 1 2 )

JustSomeone15 - May 19

65 by TheSunLife »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.