Forum Settings
Forums

Is it okay to have a long-distance online relationship / trust people you meet online?

New
Nov 25, 2022 10:47 PM
Jul 2018
In my opinion, NO but also YES! cuz that person is still a stranger who's hiding behind a mask, they can use you, blackmail you 'n more. I mean you can never know their true what are they in their real life. People often fall of these types of traps. But I think things are fine if you limit your privacy and don't get involved in any kind of shit.

Also, In my experience YESS!! Cuz I was in a long-distance online relationship (for like 1+ year) and yea...it worked well but again it's about TRUST cuz I never knew what she thought of me, how she's doing in her real life and same thing goes for her. Also, I never share my personal info in first time nor I befriend people or give 'em my Insta, Meta.

Just never trust/follow anyone blindly.

Whaddya think on this?

removed-userNov 26, 2022 8:53 AM
Nov 25, 2022 10:52 PM

Sep 2018
I do not believe long-distance relationships can hold up besides for the desire of sex, but if you are attractive enough to find a real partner long distance, your selection in your area would likely take over ending up with the long-distance relationship falling apart imo.
Nov 25, 2022 11:15 PM

Mar 2008
Your no is nonsense because the same can be said of any relationship. As long as someone isn't full on naïve not bothering to check they aren't being blatantly catfished there is no difference in risks other than the pain of being appart when you need to hold eachother and trouble getting time and money to do things in peperson. It has plus side of increasing potential to find a good match and online it's easier to open up about things.
Nov 25, 2022 11:19 PM

Aug 2013
Depends on whether or not the people in the relationship want to keep it long-distance or close the gap. There's nothing wrong with meeting people far away, I feel, but an essential part of a relationship is the physicality, and for a LDR to be successful, I believe that the goal should be to make it in-person as soon as reasonably possible. Though, that's just my view. I guess, really, you have to ask yourself what you want out of a relationship, and pick a form that works for you. Do you simply want to be less lonely? Maybe then a permanent-LDR/Online relationship is fine. Do you want physical intimacy and dates? Then an in-person relationship is for you. Case-by-case, I suppose.
Nov 26, 2022 12:05 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
The catfishing argument is nonsense indeed. Like, for scammers and predators, it's always a numbers game. If they see that someone is being reluctant and wasting too much of their time, they'll lose interest pretty quickly. Nobody is going to spend 2 years trying to catfish Mr. Nobody. If you've interacted enough with the person and have sufficient evidence that they are who they claim to be, then the odds of getting catfished are close to zero.

I still don't think I'd put myself through such a torment, though. It's not just about the lack of intimacy or whether they stay loyal or not, but about having to constantly divine how the other person feels and knowing that they can pretty much delete their account or block/unfriend you the next day leaving no chance for you to find or contact them. Imagine going to sleep every day with that thought in mind and then rushing to your phone or PC and checking if they are still there being your morning routine — no thanks.

Online friendships on the other hand can be okay. Of course, some of the aforementioned problems still apply, but to a far lesser extent.
149597871Nov 26, 2022 12:08 AM
Nov 26, 2022 12:20 AM
Jul 2018
It's okay to be in a long distance relationship, certainly.
I'd be a hypocrite to say otherwise.
The thing you always have to keep in mind though is that the person on the other end can always pull the plug.
Things like that can happen when you least expect them to.
Nov 26, 2022 1:20 AM
Jul 2018
149597871 said:
The catfishing argument is nonsense indeed. Like, for scammers and predators, it's always a numbers game. If they see that someone is being reluctant and wasting too much of their time, they'll lose interest pretty quickly. Nobody is going to spend 2 years trying to catfish Mr. Nobody. If you've interacted enough with the person and have sufficient evidence that they are who they claim to be, then the odds of getting catfished are close to zero.

I still don't think I'd put myself through such a torment, though. It's not just about the lack of intimacy or whether they stay loyal or not, but about having to constantly divine how the other person feels and knowing that they can pretty much delete their account or block/unfriend you the next day leaving no chance for you to find or contact them. Imagine going to sleep every day with that thought in mind and then rushing to your phone or PC and checking if they are still there being your morning routine — no thanks.

Online friendships on the other hand can be okay. Of course, some of the aforementioned problems still apply, but to a far lesser extent.
why is the fear of being ghosted more in online relationships than in others? u still wud know the other persons phone number, address, etc.
Nov 26, 2022 1:56 AM

Jan 2021
If a person can type Lol without actually laughing then they can type I love you without actually loving someone.
Well anyways I am not experienced in any kind of relationships but I would try not to engage in an online relationship. I would at least want to meet the person in real life before even thinking about a relationship.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Nov 26, 2022 3:08 AM

Nov 2022
And IRL people would never blackmail you?

in fact it is IRL people who can do most damage.

of course people in your town could all be saints or something like that, so people you meet online could be much worse than that.
Buy my awesome BDSM male domination book here  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1174760

Visit my Discord https://discord.com/channels/1047490147794550844/1047490149161898039 I am not there most of the time but you can leave a message.

Or my blog here https://BDSMAnime.blogspot.com/
Or here https://BDSMAnime18.blogspot.com/

Submit to me and become my subject here https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=88107
Nov 26, 2022 3:22 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
Verthandi11 said:
149597871 said:

why is the fear of being ghosted more in online relationships than in others? u still wud know the other persons phone number, address, etc.

No, no, no... your partner giving you the silent treatment from the other side of the room is nowhere near the same level as being ghosted by your online boyfriend/girlfriend who lives 16,000 km away.

It's true that knowing the person's address, phone number, workplace, etc. may ease your anxiety, but still... it's not like you'll be able to hop on a plane to Peru and go knock on Fernanda's door to see why she disappeared or blocked you all of a sudden the other day. Not to mention how easily one (or both) side(s) can abuse this once they realize how much power they have over the other person.

I know that there are many successful online relationships out there, and I haven't ruled them out completely myself, but I'll need to know the person really well and trust them more than I've trusted anyone else to be comfortable with something like this. Plus, my main priority will be to reduce the distance between us and become a regular couple as soon as possible as you are basically playing Russian roulette with your relationship with every day that passes.
Nov 26, 2022 3:36 AM

Mar 2015
I personally wouldn't enter a relationship with someone I've only met online because I believe people don't show their true faces online. Obviously people can do that in real life too but I think it's more common online. That's just my opinion though and I don't judge people for entering one. Each to their own.
Nov 26, 2022 3:41 AM
Jul 2018
It’s not for me but it could work for others. The trusting part is huge, cause you are having to take what they say as truth without being able to see it for what it is fully. The ghosting is much easier to do in this situation and in my opinion, the effort is larger cause it’s not as simple as just hanging out in person with them but instead making sure you’re available online to get to know them, create consistent schedules to spend time online together etc.

Definitely gotta work towards reducing the distance asap, like others are saying.
Nov 26, 2022 8:14 AM
Yare Yare Daze

May 2022
"No, but yes" LIS2 flash backs.
You answer your own question.
Nov 26, 2022 8:17 AM
Jul 2018
You can find people who suit you pretty well online. I'm not saying enthusiastically that it'll work out, but it might work out. It also might not work out. It's a roll of the dice.
Nov 26, 2022 8:29 AM
Grave of Flowers

Dec 2012
it depends on what you mean by relationship, I would say. If it's just a friend you can rely on then yeah you're better off with someone who understands despite being overseas than say...talking to a giant stuffed animal lmao

as for "that" kind of relationship, I would suggest that it's better if you're actually in the same country so you can meet someday. I personally can't handle this distance issue if we're speaking from this context
┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

🎖️ mal badges
🏠 blog navigation
🏆 graph badges

┕━━━━»•» ☠️ «•«━━━━┙
Nov 26, 2022 8:44 AM

Aug 2021
It depends on what kind of relationship we are talking about. I don't really mind the distance when we are talking about friendship. But I do mind the distance if we are talking about a love relationship. As for trusting people, I don't see any difference between real life or internet. You have trustworthy and untrustworthy people in both worlds.

Okay, you have the chance to come across a unworthy person on the internet faster. But there are also enough untrustworthy people around you. Not only random people, but also for example co-workers.
Toonen1988Nov 26, 2022 8:47 AM
"Most people talk about killing time while time is killing them. You can outrun everything but you'll never outrun the hands of time. Use it wisely before you expire". - Toonen1988

"Cyberpunk show us the dark side, reveiling the dangerous side effects of the drug of futurism." - Indigo Gaming
Nov 26, 2022 8:51 AM
Jul 2018
Amityblight said:
"No, but yes" LIS2 flash backs.
You answer your own question.

Lmao, you didn't read the words, "In my opinion"
I wanna know what are your opinion on this.
Please!

Plus, I edited n added "Whaddya think on this?"

Happy? Lol ✌️
removed-userNov 26, 2022 9:00 AM
Nov 26, 2022 9:16 AM

Oct 2015
People can fuck you over in in any type of involvement if you entrust them with things of importance to you. It is on you to not be braindead about it.

On the flipside, it is also a great litmus test for people worth trusting. If they had an opportunity to betray your trust for their gain with little risk to themselves but didn't, that is a good predictor for future behavior.
Nov 26, 2022 10:01 AM
Jul 2018
149597871 said:
Verthandi11 said:

No, no, no... your partner giving you the silent treatment from the other side of the room is nowhere near the same level as being ghosted by your online boyfriend/girlfriend who lives 16,000 km away.

It's true that knowing the person's address, phone number, workplace, etc. may ease your anxiety, but still... it's not like you'll be able to hop on a plane to Peru and go knock on Fernanda's door to see why she disappeared or blocked you all of a sudden the other day. Not to mention how easily one (or both) side(s) can abuse this once they realize how much power they have over the other person.

I know that there are many successful online relationships out there, and I haven't ruled them out completely myself, but I'll need to know the person really well and trust them more than I've trusted anyone else to be comfortable with something like this. Plus, my main priority will be to reduce the distance between us and become a regular couple as soon as possible as you are basically playing Russian roulette with your relationship with every day that passes.
ppl who wud ghost a partner online will do so in real life as well. plenty of ppl walk out on their partners n disappear for weeks or forever without a trace. if one cannot trust a partner to not be cruel enough to just disappear then they aren't a good partner in the first place, or one has immense trust issues. in the latter case, yeah, ldrs would not be a recommennded option as one has to have a good amount of trust in their partner to survive in an ldr. having said that, lack of trust would hamper any kind of relationship.

nothing wrong with aiming to close the distance
Nov 26, 2022 10:17 AM

Aug 2013
149597871 said:
No, no, no... your partner giving you the silent treatment from the other side of the room is nowhere near the same level as being ghosted by your online boyfriend/girlfriend who lives 16,000 km away. [...] It's true that knowing the person's address, phone number, workplace, etc. may ease your anxiety, but still... it's not like you'll be able to hop on a plane to Peru and go knock on Fernanda's door to see why she disappeared or blocked you all of a sudden the other day. [...] Plus, my main priority will be to reduce the distance between us and become a regular couple as soon as possible as you are basically playing Russian roulette with your relationship with every day that passes.

Whoa, someone on MAL with their head screwed on straight? That's a new one. Agreed with you mostly; some difference in nuance, but I've got the same conclusion.
Nov 27, 2022 1:53 AM

Nov 2022
I would actually avoid someone like 149597871 who wants to knock on my door over anything.

In fact online relationship helps with that, easier to just disappear if things do not go my way. Just like Thukasa from .hack//Sign

Girls do get obsessed over me so, some effective means of ghosting them is absolutely needed.
Buy my awesome BDSM male domination book here  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1174760

Visit my Discord https://discord.com/channels/1047490147794550844/1047490149161898039 I am not there most of the time but you can leave a message.

Or my blog here https://BDSMAnime.blogspot.com/
Or here https://BDSMAnime18.blogspot.com/

Submit to me and become my subject here https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=88107
Nov 27, 2022 2:00 AM
Jul 2018
I think it's okay to have close friends online, it's actually easier to talk about certain things with people online knowing you'll never meet them.
Long distance relationships seem really delicate and would only work if you both are on the same page but the same can be said for normal relationships.
Nov 27, 2022 4:02 AM

Jul 2015
why wouldn't it be ok? Long distance relationships are harder though so i wouldn't recommend it unless you and your partner are in for the long run but they can work.

My friends gf met him online and they didn't meet irl until later in the relationship now she has moved country to live with him.

So as long as your on the same page it can work!
Nov 29, 2022 10:46 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Not if she is on onlyfans and her Instagram is public

Nov 29, 2022 10:54 PM

Jun 2017
Online long distance relationships seem really weird to me, I wouldn't do it. But for friends who I have met online, I am pretty careful with a lot of my personal information but if I have known them for a long enough time then I'll trust them
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

More topics from this board

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - Apr 19

44 by Vampire_Lord »»
35 minutes ago

Poll: » Is intelligence overrated?

pludel2 - Mar 29

25 by deg »»
46 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

30 by deg »»
1 hour ago

» Do you enjoy nature?

Kamikaze_404 - Apr 23

32 by Spunkert »»
1 hour ago

» Dracula, Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde or Frankenstein(books)?

Absurdo_N - Apr 23

12 by LoveLikeBlood »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.