Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 3, 2010 10:40 PM

Apr 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
VERY DIFFERENT. Those were the two words that came to mind when I watched the 1st episode in Japanese. I was already put-off by the opening theme song, but I can't really blame the Japanese for that since the American market tries to make everything look cooler. I'm sad to say they SUCCEEDED. The dialogue was much better, I think. However, I got put off again when Kuwagamon was going after everyone and then they digivolved.....not the greatest "hype" music. I was dissappointed with the sound but the dialogue and everything else was awesome. =D I guess I'll just have to get used to the music lol

May 4, 2010 5:19 AM

Mar 2009
Yeah I was use to the American OP for a long time but watching this in Japanese I'm starting to get use to the Japanese OP.
May 4, 2010 9:25 AM
Jan 2009
I saw it in Arabic when I was a kid.Now after watching the japanese version,I can say that they both have the same feel.Maybe because both use the original soundtrack.

Ive also seen the American version.
Now I know that many of you have seen that version while growing up but I found it to be horrible and most un-digimonish.
Oh well.It depends on which version you saw as a kid.
May 4, 2010 10:37 AM

Apr 2010
Yea, since we live in America, they try to make everything cooler than it is. So by them changing the song from kiddy-ish to action-y type (lol), they made it more cool. I grew up on the American version, and the music from the Japanese version felt lacking.

Feb 7, 2011 7:26 AM

Jan 2011
Where can i download it
Jan 6, 2012 3:08 AM
Jan 2012
Hmmm, I remember watching German version when I was young (though back then I didn't understand that much as I'm not German xD) and the Japanese one feels close. I guess it's because German version used the original soundtrack and just dubbed it. I do remember seeing one or two episodes of the Polish version (which is American version with dubbed voices) and i didn't really like the soundtrack and how cool it was trying to be :P I preffer the "ADOBENCHA~!" style of the original one.
Jan 21, 2012 8:19 AM
Jan 2012
I think that the music is one of the best things about Digimon (english)

I used to watch Digimon as a kid and today I started to re-watch it. It does feel a bit 'kiddy' but after a few episodes I am sure i will be more into it.
Apr 28, 2013 6:35 AM

Dec 2012
The Japanese opening really made me go wow. Really great song befitting for the show, unlike the English opening =.=

The voice acting is okay I guess - Is it me or Taichi talks way less in the Japanese version? I remember him talking nonstop in the English dub especially at the start.
Jun 23, 2013 12:13 AM

Apr 2008
Gahh. It's so weird watching the subb version since I grew up watching the dubbed. Whenever I read the subtitles, I read it in the English actors' voices. It's weird xD
Oct 25, 2013 11:20 PM

Sep 2011
Man the Japanese and English version are so different. I don't know which one I prefer to be honest. Leaning towards the English version just because I'm more used to it, but I really don't know...
Feb 26, 2014 9:04 PM

Feb 2014
This is what happens when you revisit a childhood series - everything gets disillusioned. You start noticing the plot holes, the awkward pauses, the cheesy evolution sequence, the overdramatic screams of despair, and let's not forget the shameless cliffhanger that's begging you to tune in next week.

But it does feel kind of nice to come back to this familiar piece of my life. It also helps a lot that Wada Kouji and Miyazaki Ayumi provided such engaging music to fire up your spirits. And that awesome preview at the end of the episode. "The adventure is evolving." No wonder I got hooked on this as a kid.
Apr 9, 2014 2:47 AM
Mar 2013
Just finished re-watching Sailor Moon a month or so ago and decided to jump into another old series.

Maybe it's the nostalgia talking but this episode was amazing (I'm a dub-watcher btw). Everything right from Tai's narration to the *literal* cliffhanger lol
Jul 5, 2014 3:06 PM

Oct 2013
I find it weird everyone here is watching this subbed when they grew up with it in English. I'm watching it dubbed BECAUSE I grew up with it in English, but it's been so, so many years since I saw it I just have to re-watch it...

Was the dub always this bad though, seriously? It's so tacky, so cheesy, so...I dunno, I'm concerned about exactly how different the English dub is from the Japanese dub.

Still, despite everything... SO MUCH NOSTALGIA.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Aug 11, 2014 4:47 PM

Jan 2014
I like japanese version :)
Opening is preety good.
Jan 11, 2015 6:22 AM

Sep 2014
I think Japanese version is better,can't forget that opening from the old days, though each to their own.
That opening so damn good <3.
The memories while watching this, someone build a Time Machine please ;A;.
nerfxJan 11, 2015 7:34 AM
Jan 18, 2015 9:42 PM

Dec 2013
Rewatching this to get ready for tri...

My childhood! That Japanese opening theme, right in the feels! I watched this dubbed in brazilian portuguese when i was a kid, but it still feels like the same digimon i loved, so hooking. To this day this anime's soundtrack puts a lot of ost's to shame.

The kids voices are so....child like, lol.

5/5
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Jan 31, 2015 1:26 PM

Jan 2008
Zadion said:
I find it weird everyone here is watching this subbed when they grew up with it in English. I'm watching it dubbed BECAUSE I grew up with it in English, but it's been so, so many years since I saw it I just have to re-watch it...

In the case of Digimon Adventure, there were quite a lot of scenes censored and the line changes make it in a different context. For example, Jo Kido was made out to be a coward in the dub and Mimi was made out to be a selfish and spoilt brat.

In the Japanese version, Jo was the eldest of the group and he felt responsible for the safety, but he's under so much pressure to go to a private school and try his hardest. Mimi was just a product of being an only child and later on, she cried about not wanting to fight, she was suffering a lot of trauma because all the digimon she knew were killed off by the Dark Masters.

I recommend to watch the Japanese version because the dub takes a lot of liberties and tend to ruin it for the worse.
SolitaryYatesJan 31, 2015 4:09 PM
Nov 17, 2015 1:31 AM

Jul 2011
That moment when you think you have all the names down and then the digimon go and transform... great. They get new names.
And they look so different from their original forms! XD

90's CG burns my eyes...but huge cast = diversity. Looking forward to it.
I don't recall watching it as a kid, but all the transformations and characters look familiar.
MirorinNov 17, 2015 1:34 AM
Feb 8, 2016 5:01 AM

Aug 2012
Watching the dub because well, the Japanese isn't available on Crunchyroll. It's not very good but uh, least I have nostalgia going for it? Revisiting this series partly because of Tri & partly because Cyber Sleuth has reignited an interest in the series but that might wane quickly with this dub.
Feb 23, 2016 9:52 AM
May 2015
digimon vale callampa
Feb 23, 2016 9:53 AM
May 2015
digimon vale callampa
Mar 24, 2016 4:46 PM

May 2012
I actually think the Japanese version is more awesome than US edited dub. The evolution themes are more fitting and none of the "Digimon Digital Monsters Digimon are the champions" repetition. More uplifting song like "Brave Heart" for the evolution song makes you realize how much courage the Digimons have when battling, and also it makes you realize how much more of a shock and impact when a battle is on the losing side (sometimes the theme stops playing all of a sudden to indicate a losing battle from what I remember). And the song actually really fits if you read the lyrics.

For anyone wants to watch the Japanese version, I saw Kissanime has both subbed and edited dubbed version.
chaosflame5Mar 24, 2016 5:08 PM

Jun 1, 2016 3:31 AM

Feb 2013
The scene when they evolved was great, but it was obvious that they were too weak to fight Kuwagamon.
Dec 1, 2016 5:21 AM

Apr 2016
I decided it was best to watch the first episode in English, I love the dub, but I'll think I'll switch in between from time to time.
Mar 28, 2017 1:54 PM

Nov 2010
Wow, there are a lot of names to remember. Everyone even got two introductions. And then the digimon changed their names...
I think kids have an easier time to remember names, at least I did when i was young.
Nov 18, 2019 12:14 AM

Apr 2016
Pretty mediocre. We get a 20 second prologue that says odd things are happening in the world. Next, we're introduced to kids playing in the snow... dressed in sleevlees shirts and shorts. Shouldn't they be freezing? In the next two minutes, the kids are straight up sent to the Digital World and given their Digimon with no explanation whatsoever. Taichi does not act like a fifth grader, and Yamato certainly does not dress nor sound like one. I believe everyone else, though. They are attacked by some random monster. This is a life and death situation but completely inappropriate 80s rock music is playing. The Digimon beg their new masters to let them go and fight. People, you've just met each other barely five minutes ago. Why are you saying "I MUST SAVE YOU"? Why are you crying over letting go this monster you just met five minutes ago?
Nov 24, 2019 5:51 PM

May 2008
I can't fathom watching Digimon Adventure dubbed; it's worse in every way compared to the Japanese version (the best thing out of the dub is the movie's OST lol). Eh, your loss I suppose.

As for the episode.... Now THIS is how you do a first episode!

I had two nitpicks:
1) The narrator telling us about what's on the screen for introductions; force the kiddies to read it. I don't care for the whole telling us about a digimon in general.

2) Some of the digimon didn't get enough screen time for their personalities to shine through - like Palmon and Patamon.

And I am watching the blu-ray so this is specific to that but when people are out of focus/in the background, it doesn't look all that good. Like it's smudged. Can't say I care for the touch-up in that sense; looks fine otherwise, though.

The introductions were handled all right, but I don't see the point when they ended up introducing themselves later on anyway. They could have used that earlier time for the digimon.
I DO like they didn't bother with narrating the baby digimon - that's how it should be done.

Other than that, I like how even in the first episode, they establish each human character's defining trait
from the get-go. It's something you don't notice until the re-watch. I liked how the digimon (the ones that got a chance at least) matched their human and/or had a bit of personality that's unique to them. Especially with Taichi + Agumon and Gomamon, all stood out.

The bgm was a little interesting... There was hardly any? The silence certainly made me notice when Brave Heart came on despite expecting it.

Oh, one more nitpick. Sakurai! All I hear is Shibuya Yuuri, Harajuku Furi and it's messing me up. I know Tentomon came first, but maaaaan I wish he used a different voice.

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
anime-primeOct 1, 2020 7:18 AM
Dec 30, 2019 6:17 PM
Mar 2019
I liked it but im wondering why these seven kids were chosen in particular. Maybe they were in the right place at the right time? I hope we find out why.
Sep 9, 2020 12:55 AM

Dec 2012
Its Taichi.
Hello Sora.
An aurora.
What is that in the sky?
A meteor?
A device?
Water?
They fell.
Its Koromon.
Another one? Motimon.
A bug in the sky.
It attacked them. Kuwagamon.
Sora.
Digital Monsters.
Mimi screams.
Kuwagamon is back.
lol at Kuwagamon crashing into the tree.
They're attacking Kuwagamon.
Dat light surrounding them.
Shinka!
Dat insert song.
Baby Flame!
They did it.
Or not.
They're falling.
Dat ending.

What a start. Taichi is reunited with Koromon after it disappeared when he was younger. Happy that they used Butter-fly as the OP song after using it as the ED song in the movie. Dat song too good. Nice ED song as well.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Sep 26, 2020 7:52 AM
Sep 2020
Digimon was one of my first animes - loved it!
Feb 2, 2021 4:34 PM

Jul 2013
The character introduction is way more ham-fisted than I remembered it. They REALLY want us to remember the names from the get go. I mean, it's probably necessary when there're 7 kids + 7 Digimon, but still...
Oct 4, 2021 11:10 AM
Feb 2019
Definitely like this first episode compared to the 2020 reboot. The 2020 one looks nice but it feels like it slower compared to the original. All in all I'm watching this version first before I go and finish the 2020 version.
Aug 12, 2022 5:02 AM
Nov 2016
A very good start of this anime!
Oct 16, 2022 8:06 AM
Dec 2019
I didn't grow up with Digimon, was more of a Pokemon guy myself growing up. That being said aside from some dated localization practices, and questionable name changes, im liking Digimon so far.
Sep 25, 2023 12:52 PM

Sep 2012
how is this 99y series, when i was younger like in 90 - 94 i remember seeing seeing tai for a moment and graymon shooting hes fireball, that in 1small clip then some1 changed the channel, back then with good antenna u could see a lot even some Asian channels but cant remember the cannels and the cannel this1 was on, and that not only weird thing like that there are other stuff i remember that don't add up that includes Toradora, clip from op reminded me what i have seen close to same time, weird
Feb 25, 11:29 AM

Aug 2019
watching the finnish dub :DD oh so good
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Digimon: Digital Monsters Episode 6 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 6, 2010

15 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Feb 25, 2:26 PM

Poll: » Digimon: Digital Monsters Episode 5 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 5, 2010

17 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Feb 25, 1:10 PM

Poll: » Digimon: Digital Monsters Episode 4 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 5, 2010

16 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Feb 25, 12:42 PM

Poll: » Digimon: Digital Monsters Episode 3 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 5, 2010

16 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Feb 25, 12:19 PM

Poll: » Digimon: Digital Monsters Episode 2 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 3, 2010

18 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Feb 25, 11:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.