Forum Settings
Forums

For those whose first language isn't English do you ever refer to the anime's title translated in your Native tongue

New
Is English Your First Language?
Sep 29, 2022 4:15 PM

Jul 2021
I'm just wondering like Attack on titan and Demon Slayer are usually more popularly said than
their japanese translations for English Speaking Countries. So are those names usually translated into french, spanish and co
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 29, 2022 4:29 PM

Jul 2020
I hardly ever discuss anime irl but when I do I use English names
People sometimes translate anime names in my native language but it sounds soooo ridiculously awkward, at least to me
Sep 29, 2022 4:31 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
No way, as anime titles sound so weird and cringey in my native language.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Sep 29, 2022 4:39 PM

Oct 2011
I usually use Japanese names 🤔 Sometimes I don't even know their English translations lol As there is not so many official but plenty of fan translations into Ukrainian, there could be different versions of it, so it's easier to search titles in Japanese ^^
Sep 29, 2022 4:40 PM
Mar 2018
Im brazillian and I refer to anime depending on the difficult to spell its name

like, AoT, I would call it either shingeki, shingeki no kiojin, attack on titan
no way im calling AoT "Ataque dos Titans", it just sounds awful and disgusting lol

I also take in account how most people call it

seinto seiya is one that people here normally uses native language, "Cavaleiros do Zodiaco"
Sep 29, 2022 4:40 PM

Nov 2019
I refer to anime in the shortest way possible. For example, AoHana and My Dress-up Darling. No need for long and winding title in any language.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Sep 29, 2022 4:46 PM

Aug 2022
Try saying "Bunny Girl Senpai" in your native language around friends next time, see the looks it will get you.
Sep 29, 2022 4:52 PM

Jul 2021
Rinrinka said:
No way, as anime titles sound so weird and cringey in my native language.

Actually relatable.
I'm just to used to call animes by their Eng or Jap names. Would be really weird to do otherwise.
I will not be seen calling AoT "El Ataque de los Titanes". Like, why?
Maybe on some really specific cases where the anime is really popular, like Dragon Ball, but besides that never.
TeBaTeSep 29, 2022 4:55 PM
Sep 29, 2022 4:52 PM

Feb 2020
Ah yes, my favorite anime, der Viereinhalbtatamimattenmythenabriss.

No, I usually go with the Japanese name or sometimes English if the anime is overwhelmingly known by that. Most offical German titles are just the English one anyway.
Sep 29, 2022 4:55 PM

Apr 2016
I used to only use the romaji version, but for some reason I am having a hard time to remember new japanese names, so animes that I have watched a long time ago, I use the romanji name, and animes that I have watched recently, I have been using their english translated name.
Sep 29, 2022 4:55 PM

Dec 2012
I'd rather go with Japanese name over my language's name; at least I've never really imagined what an anime name would be in Maltese without sounding like the dumbest shit I've ever heard of lmaoo
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Sep 29, 2022 4:59 PM

May 2019
No, i try to be as authentic and as accurate to the original Japanese nomenclature as possible.
Sep 29, 2022 4:59 PM

Feb 2020
Cestlavie_ said:
mazuchi said:
Ah yes, my favorite anime, der Viereinhalbtatamimattenmythenabriss.

No, I usually go with the Japanese name or sometimes English if the anime is overwhelmingly known by that. Most offical German titles are just the English one anyway.

I'm actually curious to what that translates to
"Four and a Half Tatami Mats Myth Outline" (literal translation of Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei) also known by the much easier official name "The Tatami Galaxy".
Sep 29, 2022 5:10 PM

Apr 2022
Well since most part of the community watches dub in my country, localized names are usually used. Though personally I use either loclalized, english or even japanese title sometimes during my conversations, some titles are translated in a weird way and it sounds cringe to me
Sep 29, 2022 5:10 PM

Oct 2014
I'm a native English speaker, but I usually refer to anime either by their Japanese title or a contraction of their Japanese title and sometimes by their English name if I don't know their Japanese title.
Sep 29, 2022 5:19 PM

Aug 2018
Not native here, I usually go for the japanese name... barely a couple in english... very rarely in spanish, almost never.
Sep 29, 2022 5:21 PM

Apr 2012
It depends on how good, common and easy to use it is. For example, I almost never use Demon Slayer (Клинок убийцы демонов), but always Attack on Titan (Атака Титанов or just Титаны). It is symbolic that every year it decreases more and more, because we get more and more fan or mainstream, that is, from former fan, localizations. And fans, for some reason, are very fond of cheesy, almost Sitcom titles with shitty puns.
Sep 29, 2022 5:29 PM
Jun 2021
RobertBobert said:
It depends on how good, common and easy to use it is. For example, I almost never use Demon Slayer (Клинок убийцы демонов), but always Attack on Titan (Атака Титанов or just Титаны). It is symbolic that every year it decreases more and more, because we get more and more fan or mainstream, that is, from former fan, localizations. And fans, for some reason, are very fond of cheesy, almost Sitcom titles with shitty puns.

I prefer the local titles for both Demon Slayer (Убица Демона) and Attack on Titan (Напад Титана) when talking in my native tongue, mostly because the names flow as well as the English ones. The SnK name in English is also a shitty case of Engrish that was never fixed. Otherwise I use the Japanese names.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Sep 29, 2022 5:32 PM

Apr 2012
TheMechaManiac said:
RobertBobert said:

I prefer the local titles for both Demon Slayer (Убица Демона) and Attack on Titan (Напад Титана) when talking in my native tongue, mostly because the names flow as well as the English ones. The SnK name in English is also a shitty case of Engrish that was never fixed. Otherwise I use the Japanese names.

Are you from Serbia? I don't speak Serbian, but your examples are indistinguishable from Russian or Ukrainian, except for the singular instead of the plural.
Sep 29, 2022 5:34 PM

Aug 2022
RobertBobert said:

Nah, I wouldn't translate Demon slayer or Attack on Titan, personally. It just rolls off the tongue and you don't have to understand english very well to understand what it means. The only one I've ever translated in conversation was Death Note (Тетрадь Смерти). That's probably because it's super mainstream, even all my friends know it, and they don't watch anime. But most titles just sound silly translated, I try to avoid my native language as much as possible, concerning any media.
Sep 29, 2022 5:40 PM

Apr 2012
host_ said:
RobertBobert said:

Nah, I wouldn't translate Demon slayer or Attack on Titan, personally. It just rolls off the tongue and you don't have to understand english very well to understand what it means. The only one I've ever translated in conversation was Death Note (Тетрадь Смерти). That's probably because it's super mainstream, even all my friends know it, and they don't watch anime. But most titles just sound silly translated, I try to avoid my native language as much as possible, concerning any media.

Well, Death Note is a literal translation, and it's also done by professional translators, so it's an easy case. At the same time, I use Darling for Dress up Darling (Это фарфоровая кукла влюбилась) and Darling in the Franxx, despite the fact that the translations of the former into Russian and English are rather stupid.
Sep 29, 2022 5:43 PM

Aug 2022
RobertBobert said:
host_ said:

Well, Death Note is a literal translation, and it's also done by professional translators, so it's an easy case. At the same time, I use Darling for Dress up Darling (Это фарфоровая кукла влюбилась) and Darling in the Franxx, despite the fact that the translations of the former into Russian and English are rather stupid.

In a case of My Dress-Up Darling I even stay away from the english title... I'm sticking with Sono Bisque Doll. Just sounds less girly lol. And I love that show.
Sep 29, 2022 5:50 PM

Apr 2012
host_ said:
RobertBobert said:

In a case of My Dress-Up Darling I even stay away from the english title... I'm sticking with Sono Bisque Doll. Just sounds less girly lol. And I love that show.

Me too, but the Japanese name seems too complicated for me to use quickly and often. In Russian conversation, I generally call the show "doll" (кукла) more often. Well, at least I didn't have to discuss Prima Doll with someone in Russian.
Sep 29, 2022 6:11 PM
Aug 2021
I did watch some anime in my native language back when I could watch them in TV. I did not know how to use internet at that time.

But now, I watch them in English sub, since those series, for the most part, are complete. I already get used to this setup.

My main candies:

Bonus Candies:
Sep 29, 2022 6:13 PM

Apr 2021
No, I just use the Japanese titles, because my native language is Spanish is quite easy
Sep 29, 2022 6:20 PM
Jun 2021
RobertBobert said:
TheMechaManiac said:

Are you from Serbia? I don't speak Serbian, but your examples are indistinguishable from Russian or Ukrainian, except for the singular instead of the plural.

Yup, Serbia. Singular form too for Demon Slayer, more-or-less a direct adaptation of the English name. SnK is in plural and it translates to "Attack of the Titans" - we don't use the loanword "Атака" like Russian or Bulgarian do.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Sep 29, 2022 6:30 PM

Feb 2021
I don't understand why some Brazilians have an obsession with using the japanese title, like it's way more complicated to write it out.

And show me one person that calls Fullmetal Alchemist "Hagane no Renkinjutsushi"
Sep 29, 2022 6:48 PM

Apr 2012
TheMechaManiac said:
RobertBobert said:

Yup, Serbia. Singular form too for Demon Slayer, more-or-less a direct adaptation of the English name. SnK is in plural and it translates to "Attack of the Titans" - we don't use the loanword "Атака" like Russian or Bulgarian do.

I meant the plural of Titan. In Russian there is the word "Нападение", but if you think about it, the translators simply decided to get by with the more direct and concise "атака".
Sep 29, 2022 6:58 PM

Aug 2019
I mostly refer to the anime by its Japanese title. Calling the titles in my native language would feel(and sound) hella weird

Sep 29, 2022 7:04 PM

Jun 2016
MadanielFL said:
I don't understand why some Brazilians have an obsession with using the japanese title, like it's way more complicated to write it out.

And show me one person that calls Fullmetal Alchemist "Hagane no Renkinjutsushi"

(Me obriguei a responder em Português) Tô pra ver alguém chamando Fullmetal Alchemist de Hagane no Renkinjutsushi ou HagaRen ou até mesmo de Alquimista de Aço, é como YuYu Hakusho, tem até uma tradução porém é muito mais fácil falar YuYu Hakusho.
Sep 29, 2022 7:16 PM
Jul 2022
Only with Alfred J. Kwak and Ox Tales.

I didn't even know of the name “Ox Tales” till quite recently; it has always been “Boes Boes” to me.
Sep 29, 2022 7:20 PM

Jul 2012
I never use anime titels in my native language. German feels so awkward for some anime. I guess some random people would call a doctor if i said something like " Hast du schon die neue Staffel von Ist es falsch Mädchen in einem Dungeon aufzusammeln gesehen" (Have you seen the new season from Danmachi?).

Me and my friends make jokes about how dumb some anime titles would be in german. But to be fair some english translation sounds hilarious as well and i prefer the japanese title. Isekai Ojisan would be a example or Haganai.

Sep 29, 2022 7:27 PM

Apr 2020
I think the only anime I use the English name instead of the Japanese name is Fire Force (Enen no Shouboutai). Saying Attack on Titan and Demon Slayer is cringe.
Imagine how boring this world would be without Japan - a comment at youtube
Sep 29, 2022 7:34 PM

May 2021
yeah i say cazador X bcause i have brain damage

Sep 29, 2022 7:49 PM

Jul 2013
In my language, we don't even say the full name. Like, we'd just call AOT "titan", spy x family as "spy", hxh as "hunter", and so on.
Sep 29, 2022 8:15 PM

Apr 2018
Nooo, that would sound so weird, lol. I live in a predominantly Spanish-speaking country, and whenever i'm talking to my anime-watching friends/co-workers irl we all just refer to their titles by their most commonly-used language, be that English or Japanese (eg. we sure as hell don't call Hunter X Hunter "Cazador X Cazador", lol).
Sep 30, 2022 1:14 AM

Dec 2015
No. Mainly I refer to it's original names or shortcuts of their names cause imagine saying the full title of Okaasan-online, unless the english version is very popular like Erased. Very rarely I would say anything in Polish as there are literally almost no translation for it in the community, the only translations which are very weird are for movies, the new mangas and LN's are not but maybe the older ones would have the funny translations [yeah writing it after checking]

Only the most popular stuff which are possible to translate, for example Bleach and Naruto are not translated cause well there is no sense for it. So stuff like Atak Tytanów will appear, which is obvious what it is.
For example Higurashi when they cry is translated as "Gdy zapłaczą cykady" which means When the cicadas will cry, which is the "more" correct translation from Japanesee title as Higurashi is one of the cicadas species x).
Other examples which I don't remember as I am not going to manga stores [jut checking right now through internet page] On the left of symbol "-" polish version and literal english translation from polish title. on the right side the official english title:
Project: Cosplay - Dress Up Darling
Pokój w kolorach szczęście "Room in hapinness colors" - One Room of Happiness
Morderca w Mojej Głowie "Killer/Murderer in my head" - My Dearest Self With Malice Aforethought
Mieruko-chan. Dziewczyna która może widzieć więcej "Mieruko-chan. Girl who can see more" - Mieruko-Chan
Miecz zabójdy demonów "Sword od Demon Slayer" - Demon Slayer [Yeah I know the english synonim Blade of Demon Destruction exists]

So right now the translation are on spot, no idea if the older ones were funny. As those who wants to know just search for polish translations of popular movies and you'll know what I mean.
For example The Hangover got translated as "Kac Vegas" which means "The Hangover in Vegas" and guess what, the sequel came out which is The Hangover Part II and in polish got translated as "Kac Vegas w Bangkoku" which means "The Vegas's Hangover in Bangkok" I don't even know how to translate that bullshit properly to english to make you understand how it was done. There are alot of stuff like this x)
ZettaikenSep 30, 2022 1:19 AM
Sep 30, 2022 1:53 AM

Aug 2013
No. I don't use translated titles at all for any media. Including English-translated titles if we are talking about the anime too, of course.
Zettaiken said:

For example Higurashi when they cry is translated as "Gdy zapłaczą cykady" which means When the cicadas will cry, which is the "more" correct translation from Japanesee title as Higurashi is one of the cicadas species x).

Not really. English title is Higurashi: When They Cry. In English "crying" as for animals means exactly what Japanese 鳴く (naku) - to make sound (of an animal), to cry; to whine; to sing; to chirp - so the double meaning is retained. In Polish, the word "płakać" is never used to describe the sound animals make. For this there is a large generalization used, because instead of "higurashi" (which is an iconic title in addition) it is used simply "cykady." Higurashi are different cicadas than the ones we know in Europe.
rsc-plSep 30, 2022 2:08 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Sep 30, 2022 1:57 AM

Dec 2020
Nah, it's sound wierd and even funny to some extent.

Sep 30, 2022 1:58 AM
Jun 2021
RobertBobert said:
TheMechaManiac said:

I meant the plural of Titan. In Russian there is the word "Нападение", but if you think about it, the translators simply decided to get by with the more direct and concise "атака".

Oh, you meant the plural "Титана" - that's the genitive case. Slightly different suffix than in Eastern and Western Slavic.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Sep 30, 2022 1:59 AM

Jun 2016
I can't really think of many anime that were translated around here and their translated title is different from the title other languages got.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Sep 30, 2022 2:02 AM

Sep 2019
No, I'm not even fluent in my native tongue, so no.
Sep 30, 2022 2:06 AM

Dec 2015
rsc-pl said:
No. I don't use translated titles at all for any media. Including English-translated titles if we are talking about the anime too, of course.
Zettaiken said:

Not really. English title is Higurashi: When They Cry. In English "crying" as for animals means exactly what Japanese 鳴く (naku) - to make sound (of an animal), to cry; to whine; to sing; to chirp - so the double meaning is retained. In Polish, the word "płakać" is never used to describe the sound animals make.

Oh yeah.... I forgot that english Cry means more than Crying as an emotion / tearing up/sobbing etc..... stupid me
Sep 30, 2022 2:06 AM

Feb 2020
Nope. It would sound weird in my language......
Sep 30, 2022 2:09 AM

May 2018
"For those whose first language isn't English do you ever refer to the anime's title translated in your Native tongue"

Most of the anime doesn't have local official names in my country. When they have one, it could be something really stupid.
For example "Cowboy Bebop: Tengoku no Tobira" was distributed as "Martian Cowboys: The Movie". Another example is "Ghost In The Shell" being translated quite literally...which sounds like "The Spirit That Came Out From The Nutshell".

Not, I refer to anime with the simplest form of its title - japanese or english.

TheMechaManiac said:
we don't use the loanword "Атака" like Russian or Bulgarian do.

Mind you this is not an official title, since AOT was never officially released in Bulgaria, also "Атаката на титаните" kind of makes sense in bulgarian. Also "атака" will be used if you talk in bulgarian military lingo (which is full of loanwords).
alshuSep 30, 2022 2:25 AM
Sep 30, 2022 2:14 AM

Jun 2017
I usually use the english title, sometimes the japanese ones.
I don't think I even used my native language to translate the title, but that's just because I talk about anime only online
Sep 30, 2022 7:49 AM

Nov 2010
English is my 2nd language, but I treat it as my main. It's weird, but I feel comfortable reading everything in English.
Sep 30, 2022 7:52 AM

Sep 2021
No. I just read the eng subs. Watching and reading still take times tho
Sep 30, 2022 8:01 AM

Feb 2013
only ironically, if it sounds funny
Sep 30, 2022 12:31 PM

Apr 2015
Mostly just as a funny joke among friends. Otherwise I just go with japanese title.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» what is battle shonen?

deg - 1 hour ago

9 by Alexioos95 »»
1 minute ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 32 minutes ago

9 by Zimmu »»
4 minutes ago

» MULTIPLE UNRELATED anime that you think could be set in the same anime universe

IpreferEcchi - 19 minutes ago

1 by Nemo_Niemand »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 2 hours ago

17 by Zettaiken »»
9 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

232 by TheMinkalex »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.