Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Shadows House
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 12, 2022 8:28 AM

Nov 2011
They're not taking any chances, especially the adults this episode.

With all the investigations and drama going on, it's amazing seeing how Emilico is coping all this both physically and mentally. Decent epsiode. I also like the way Emilico is protrayed with her human emotions.
Aug 12, 2022 10:06 AM

Feb 2019
So Shaun and emilico have finally caught onto the shadows being imitations of the humans. Must be such an earth shattering revelation to realise your whole life is a lie basically. I wonder if we’ll ever see them in the real world.

Jeremiah had me worried for Shaun and John there for a second lol. Thought they were really behind the shadow attacks.

Another cliffhanger! Things are getting really tense, excited for next ep
Marinate1016Aug 12, 2022 10:10 AM
Aug 12, 2022 10:13 AM

Jul 2021
They spent 8 minutes for the scene on the roof which I thought was a great choice as we got to see more interactions, hinting and forming some mysteries for later, too.

Ah shit, Emilico drank coffee again, glad it wasn’t the real one that took over your mind. John and Jeremiah’s scene was pretty interesting too, more informations about the Kobiritsukis and Phantoms.
Aug 12, 2022 10:16 AM

Sep 2016
emilico and shaun stargazing was really nice to watch, and it's interesting to see more mysteries unravel! i really hope the star bearers don't find out about their plan and get john into trouble
Aug 12, 2022 10:19 AM

Jul 2017
While the Shadows are having their Midnight Meeting of Peers, both Shaun and Emilico wander around the Shadows House, pondering what will life be like outside the House, and what would everyone be like in their various professions. But the truth of the matter is how the Living Dolls are treated in the face of both their own Shadow masters and everyone else within the Shadows House, going by Shaun and Emilico's conversation to one day save both Rum and Shirley and debunk all of the House's secrets. The night sky shadowing the Shadows House, it's a symbol of their still being human, and this is like their human version of the peer meet.

The gathering of the Living Dolls proves that the rejoicing party is once again in session, and at first Emilico has no choice but to resign herself to the usual brainwashing coffee soot, but this concoction plus the attendance of Shadows and Star Bearers, it's more than just ordinary soot production that the mix has gotten worse as means of silence.

The secret investigation between Kate, John, Shaun and Emilico continues, but John might've played too much to counter against Jeremiah being Master Robe...which turns out to be a successful prank, since both Jeremy and Jeremiah are conducting research on scorches and are allies on their side. With that said, scorch power is inherently useful, and is like solar power to the always burning fossil fuel that is soot.

John's summoning to the Star Bearer's conference room...I sense nothing but bad vibes from this calling.
Aug 12, 2022 10:26 AM
Sep 2015
This episode is very smart.
First, Shaun and Emilico talk about their existense, what's their life before Shadows House based on what's they good at. And Shaun suggest an earth-shattering theory that a veil doll might be a doll without their master, and Rum might be one of them.
Unlike Shaun, John is the opposite in almost every way, but it's also John's charming point. He quickly reach to conclusion without enough evidence, or to be direct, without any thinking at all. But he's doing it with a good intention, and that's why I can forgive him everytime. In fact I even looking forward to what John will do next.
Shaun and Emilico seem to get along very well, while Kate and John... at least Kate trust John to a certain degree. I'm wondering the situation where two shadow masters don't get along while their faces get along, or the opposite, that'd be very interesting to watch, I haven't see this example yet.
But I also love how shadows and faces are not exactly the same personality. Emilico and John are more cheerful than their counterpart. But I also see Ricky whose is almost identical to Patrick.
Star bearers trying to fix the situation by giving a fake coffee and control living dolls with soot power is also brilliant plan, but Kate figure it out almost immediately, which just show how smart Kate is. In fact Kate is more like Shaun, while John is more like Emilico. But I don't suggest they'll make a good couple. A couple with the same personality doesn't guarantee it's gonna work, sometimes, or even most of the time, couple with different personality get along better.
The research team trying to get a clean enerygy from soot monster instead of soot coal is also genius and a nod to climate change crisis.
But recently all episode end with a cliffhanger, I can't wait!
Aug 12, 2022 10:36 AM

Jul 2011
I hope Rum will be back soon.

Good that we have Shaun to make a proper report to Kate, imagine if he wasn't there, how would be John's report?

Aug 12, 2022 10:45 AM

Jul 2015
Some pretty lore heavy episode.. Shaun is one smart guy.. Probably the smartest in the show (at least as a detective)

Cute moments between Emilico and Shaun..
Kate with her hair down and in her pajamas is pretty as fk! we need more of that

I do think that Shaun might be right about their names thingy.. Makes sense if ya take the shadows house as a hole..

Cliffhanger endings are tight!
Aug 12, 2022 11:25 AM

Dec 2015
Love that they are solving a few of the mysteries on their own in this episode. But it just leads to more questions.

Jeremy makes one heck of an interpreter XD. So the scorches kind of work like the unversed in Kingdom Hearts with the source being from negative emotions. If that's the case it makes sense that someone could control them. Their powers seem to vary (I mean we got literal Spider-Man for crying out loud) so anythings possible.
Aug 12, 2022 11:40 AM

Apr 2018
Pretty fun and interesting episode. Shaun and Emilico's conversation below the stars was beautiful and really meaningful for them. As living dolls, they forgot everything about their human past but, it's slowly coming back. Anyway, I been liking John so much this season. He always puts a smile on my face with his stupidness. For some reason, he has to go to the Star Bear's meeting. His reaction on it made me laugh for real.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Aug 12, 2022 11:40 AM

Apr 2018
Pretty fun and interesting episode. Shaun and Emilico's conversation below the stars was beautiful and really meaningful for them. As living dolls, they forgot everything about their human past but, it's slowly coming back. Anyway, I been liking John so much this season. He always puts a smile on my face with his stupidness. For some reason, he has to go to the Star Bear's meeting. His reaction on it made me laugh for real.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Aug 12, 2022 12:03 PM

Feb 2016
For some reason I'm really invested in developing relationship between Emilico and Shaun love their ship dynamic
Aug 12, 2022 3:58 PM

Jul 2016
The rooftop scene with Emilico and Shaun us wholesome as they reminising their past and thought their origin before shadows house.
The surprised night of delight is intense. And Kate thinks that the coffee is just normal and the one effecting Emilico is from a starbearer soot power. And she suspects Benjamin has that ability.

The next part is John and Shaun investigating. And they meet Jeremiah and Jeremy. That tells them about scorches and their research about enery source using them. Its pretty good lore dumping. And John is funny as ever. Overall good episode

Aug 12, 2022 4:37 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
It's nice to see Emilico and Shaun getting more aware of themselves and how the shadows are really related to their own real selves, since it must be hard for them to understand at 1st with their memories wiped of course... and now without the coffee their doing the mind manipulation with their power directly, doesn't sound good at all, at least we have John and Shaun doing the investigation on their own, nothing truly shocking except for Jeremiah's inventions and personality xD
Aug 12, 2022 5:08 PM

Sep 2020
Would the scorch in the running wheel run more or less fervently if the picture portrayed a bespectacled Nancy?
This is a question for the ages.
Aug 12, 2022 7:06 PM

Jul 2016
Gotta love how John has practically become a walking meme.

Overall, nice episode filled with theories, investigation and Kate and Shaun being big brains as usual. The rooftop scene being easily my favorite part.
Aug 12, 2022 7:35 PM
Mar 2019
John is so excitable in everything he does, by far the funniest character.
Aug 12, 2022 7:49 PM

Jun 2017
Never change John, never change.
Aug 13, 2022 12:32 AM

Apr 2020
That went by fast not gonna lie. First part sounds like AOT to me where Shaun and Emilico imagines if they can escape their destiny and leave the Shadows House, and among other stuff their discussion was actually good.

Then all the Living Dolls drinked coffee again but thankfully it's the type of coffee that us tea haters drink and not the one with soot, it took me a while to grasp that Emilico is just too excited and not brainwashed at all, so that's good.

Lastly, Jeremy and Jeremiah pulled a nice prank on John. I love their idea of an alternate (basically a renewable) energy to the soot coal that the House is using....wait a minute....oh shit!

This is Shadows House edition of 19th century slavery. The Shadows are actually the colonizers where in they take human slaves and use them to bolster their power. Also the energy they use is Industrial-era and in another words SUCK. Wow can't believe I got this comparison because of this fast-paced episode but there you go.
Aug 13, 2022 1:49 AM

Jun 2021
Hyper Emilico was the cutest thing ever.
Aug 13, 2022 2:44 AM

Jun 2014
Shaun and Emilico's rooftop scene was really nice, anyone who ships them finna go crazy after that lol. The mystery surrounding Robe-sama is still unclear but at least we know now that this individual isn't an enemy nor an ally 🤔

Jeremiah/Jeremy had me worried there for a second but it turns out everything he was doing was for soot collection to help his research. Pretty ominous ending with John being summoned by the Star Bearers, but of course that idiot thinks they're going to praise him 💀💀💀 oh John, what a guy.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Aug 13, 2022 4:08 AM
Aug 2018
Great insight into the scorches and forming phantoms
Aug 13, 2022 5:35 AM

Jul 2014
I hadn't clocked that the veiled dolls would be the Living Dolls whose masters failed the debut, but that's certainly an interesting detail to work with going forward. Emilico and Shaun's conversation on the roof about the Shadows mimicking humans made me wonder something: to what end are they doing so? Maybe that was mentioned when all this was revealed at the end of season 1, but if it was I've evidently forgotten. Also, very notable that the Robed Doll's voiced was distorted in an attempt to hide its identity, but we can at least tell that it's a tall figure and probably a male one too, even though the robe technically could conceal a more feminine physique.

And some interesting exposition about how scorches and phantoms work as those mysteries thicken.
Aug 13, 2022 9:30 AM

Apr 2021
I had a mixed judgement on the first season of this show as although the context was very original and interesting, the character of Emilico was a bit annoying and the direction was really uninspired. Since this season is more focused on Kate and on unraveling the mysteries of the Manor, and even though the direction is still very conventional, I find it enjoyable to watch until now.
Aug 13, 2022 12:42 PM
Jan 2021
good, equal to manga
Aug 13, 2022 9:33 PM
Mar 2015
the humans are closer to getting their memories back
Aug 14, 2022 7:04 AM

Jan 2021
''did i do something worth of praise lately?'' i laughed so hard when he said he john is easily the funniest character
spiritual successor of lord rothchild.
Aug 14, 2022 5:54 PM

Nov 2012
Only John would think he'd done something praise worthy when called by the Star Bearers. smh

I've been wondering since E1S1 what the shadows are. Soot dolls made to imitate humans?
Aug 14, 2022 9:37 PM

Oct 2016
Felt a bit sped up and lighthearted to me.
Aug 15, 2022 8:46 PM

Apr 2016
Good to see Emilico and Shaun discuss about the house real dynamics and not just have Kate be the only one that wonders about the things they have learned.

Dumb me didn't got it was just plain coffee, I guess the star bearers are desperate.
Aug 16, 2022 9:52 AM

Jan 2019
i love it but the ending aaa i need next episode
Aug 19, 2022 2:16 AM

Oct 2017
John is just built different.
Aug 27, 2022 6:59 AM
Mar 2022
Fantastic episode as usual. I love this show. My favorite parts were when Emiliko and Sean were on the roof and when John and Sean were in the research building. I'm looking forward to next episode.
Aug 27, 2022 8:29 PM

Dec 2016
Is it just me or are they really rushing it a little?

The way they were jumping from one scene to another instead of flowing smoothly kinda bothered me.
Aug 29, 2022 3:01 PM
May 2022
The sweet sentiment between Emilico and Sean combined with cleverly deductive soot analysis on the parts of Kate, John, and Sean made for one of the most emotionally and mentally intriguing developments of the series yet. All that encompassed by the ever-present, entangling mystery continues to keep me dedicated to this anime, mind and heart.
Sep 8, 2022 6:41 AM

Sep 2017
i liked john a lot.

he us so entertaining and with jeremiah can easily form a boke tsukkomi routine.

lol him thinking oliver and barbara are an item.

also cleaner scorch energy >> soot energy

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Sep 12, 2022 9:44 AM
munchmunch

Aug 2019
"let's try our best to not look suspicious"

also them in front of someone:

what's the point in putting your hand to whisper if it's not covering your mouth? it defeats the purpose xD

Sep 23, 2022 4:18 AM

May 2020
Emilico and Shaun's conversation on rooftop felt a tad too disheartening realizing these kids even after having all sorts of evidences still can't do a thing against shadow house.

Also again that coffee, but thankfully it was a normal one, had me nervous there for a moment lol.
Oct 4, 2022 9:06 AM

Sep 2020
More and more secrets about shadow house is discovered, maybe the premise is actually reversed, members of shadow family is not human but the dolls are.
Nov 5, 2022 7:51 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
more coffee, but with surprise!!! kekeke
Dec 1, 2022 4:56 AM

Feb 2021
Using a soot monster to make soot energy is very cool! It's look like a hamster on wheel to generate electricity XD
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Feb 12, 2023 4:42 PM

Feb 2018
Emilico went nuts with that caffeine dose lol. 'Master Robe' appears again! Who's that person.. uuugh!
May 6, 2023 7:21 PM

Oct 2022
Ok that was fast if Jeremy or Jeremiah was the ghost guy, and I started laughing when they only wanted to get john's black powder lol.

Now Jeremy or Jeremiah knows about Emilico conversation, but it was nice when they were talking, and sharing their thoughts. Now what if their next goal is to try to escape and go to the other side of the wall.

May 19, 2023 5:40 AM

Dec 2020
Robed figure had a female voice. But as shown before there are voice manipulation powers so can't rule nothing out based on that.

Memories can be recovered it seems or just hopeful thinking from Emilico.

Two days to form a scorch is very short. And the fact they explained they want to steal faces and control them kinda seems close to what the shadows/faeries do. Take their appearance.
Jul 10, 2023 10:45 AM

Dec 2022
Liked the rooftop scene and the discussion that took place during it. They're starting to be more aware of their lives before they were kidnapped.

Shaded Horizon

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shadows House 2nd Season Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2022

69 by Karva1 »»
Apr 1, 1:55 PM

Poll: » Shadows House 2nd Season Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 15, 2022

63 by Karva1 »»
Apr 1, 11:33 AM

Poll: » Shadows House 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 8, 2022

92 by Karva1 »»
Mar 31, 10:31 PM

» At what chapter does this leave off at?

Tropisch - Jan 26

4 by _Yotsugi_ »»
Jan 26, 11:29 AM

» I hate Barbie For Eternity II

KhoaVN - Oct 27, 2023

4 by Dudeh »»
Oct 30, 2023 8:43 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.