Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 24, 2022 5:07 AM

Jul 2017
Official world premiere ahead of schedule.

Be warned that this episode is where Ice Queendom deviates from the source material as a "canon adjacent" series.

The Nightmare Grimm comes, and it's truly a nightmare for those affected by the curse. But what's a definite no-no is Weiss not being part of the team's dynamics, and Ozpin tries to help Ruby understand, while Weiss gets a pep talk from Peter Port.

But it's the rose-thorn-like scar on Weiss and Jaune (he has it worse) has that gets the curiosity, and that requires special treatment from the Nightmare Hunter Shion Zaiden to use his Semblance power to send people into their dream to save Jaune's conscience and evict the Nightmare Grimm that surrounds him.

Hah, seeing the stowaway Sun Wukong in action, he's a cunning one to escape free, that Team RWBY met Penny Polendina instead. The tension between Weiss and Blake continues like the plague, and their differences are too massive in the respect of the humans and Faunus to ever reach a resolution, much less understanding one another.

The antagonist group of White Fang made their first appearances, and this will not be the last we'll see of them. I hope that Weiss and Blake can get along despite their race being different races.

Void_Chords feat. L's OP "Beyond Selves" already sounds like a banger thanks to Ryo Takahashi, a perfect fit for an esteemed American icon with the iconic J-Pop flare.

As a 3-episode premiere, this is also the perfect 3-episode rule to see if Ice Queendom is worth your time, as a long-time RWBY fan or someone new into the series. This is no doubt a strong start to the Japan-made RWBY that is nothing but surprises.
KANLen09Jun 24, 2022 5:10 AM
Jun 24, 2022 7:55 AM
おハーブですわ
May 2021
KANLen09 said:
As a 3-episode premiere, this is also the perfect 3-episode rule to see if Ice Queendom is worth your time, as a long-time RWBY fan or someone new into the series. This is no doubt a strong start to the Japan-made RWBY that is nothing but surprises.

I'm a bit worried about potential pacing issues because they absolutely screamed through plot, but oh yeah, strap me in. I'm going the distance.
Jun 24, 2022 8:00 AM

Jan 2019
is this gonna be 3 eps every week?
Jun 24, 2022 8:07 AM

May 2018
Shenhe said:
is this gonna be 3 eps every week?

Nope.
The next new episode will come 24.07.2022.
Jun 24, 2022 8:42 AM

Sep 2021
Well this was interesting so I will continue to watch when the next episode is comes
Jun 24, 2022 10:33 AM

Jul 2011
Weiss personality feels borderline multiple personality disorder.

So, Penny is a Terminator-like character.

That post-battle cut was strange.

At this point, everybody should get just in their underwear, and have a full body examination.
Jun 24, 2022 10:53 AM

Oct 2020
Watched all.3 episodes just now and iI really liked it, its like a blend of anime cliche and western storytelling cliche in anime so it feels refreshing. Although it was really confusing about that final fight cut.
Jun 24, 2022 11:42 AM

Jul 2019
I kinda expected more from Shaft in terms of animation.
Looks good but lacks smoothness and choreography in some fights, which the original RWBY had and been known for.

I think it's an ok adaptation, I'm more curious about the new character they introduced.
Jun 24, 2022 11:54 AM
Mar 2022
Hiroto Nagata is single handedly carrying this again. Like it looks fucking good for a second and the next scene looks mediocre. It's inconsistent. Not even a hint Shaftyness is present on this.

Guess they're focusing on the Madoka Movie, I couldn't really care less about RWBY.
TsunderesTheBestJun 24, 2022 12:07 PM
Jun 24, 2022 12:36 PM

Nov 2013
The pacing too fast...I still miss the original music...and the budget allocation is really obvious lol..noticeable drop in quality outside fighting scenes..other than that, it seems promising. I'll still give it a watch. The dream grim is completely original but it seems interesting...pacing was to fast though for these 3 episodes.
Jun 24, 2022 12:38 PM

Jan 2014
Not sure if there was meant to be more there honestly, it felt over and done with so quick like what??? Was I missing something???
Jun 24, 2022 1:23 PM

Apr 2011
KapengBarako said:
The pacing too fast...I still miss the original music...and the budget allocation is really obvious lol..noticeable drop in quality outside fighting scenes..other than that, it seems promising. I'll still give it a watch. The dream grim is completely original but it seems interesting...pacing was to fast though for these 3 episodes.

Glad to see I am not the only one who noticed the extremely terrible pacing issues. I think they nailed the voices, animations, and character design, but the pacing is all over the place. Not enough time to explain anything it seems, from too much exposition to none at all. Or why a scene that is unrelated to what just happened is suddenly shoved into the face of the audience.

Honestly feels like they just wanted to do a "test" of sorts and see how the fandom would react to this.
"Ogon’ po gotovnosti!"
Jun 24, 2022 1:28 PM

May 2018
Observations and comparisons with OG RWBY.
- Wait, why/how Weiss changed her school uniform with her regular cloths between scenes?
- One missing link which felt really bad. They could make smoother transition from the scene after the match and Pyrrha's explanation.
- And here the story departs sharply from the original.
- Wow, new kind of Grimm. I guess it's the piece of resistance of the show.
- Jaune sees himself as rabbit?
- ...aaand we are back to the original main story?
- Lighting inconsistency between scenes. Bad cuts too.
- Now I guess we are ready for a major departure in the story...but will we get some random scenes from original too?

Ellenwitch said:
it felt over and done with so quick like what?

In the original there is a big battle at the docks: Blake, Sun and Penny are flexing they abilities in it.

Golden_Darknezz said:
but the pacing is all over the place. Not enough time to explain anything it seems

IMO the pacing is not that bad (except in the last episode) and they got across all the important information.
alshuJun 26, 2022 7:08 AM
Jun 24, 2022 2:15 PM
Jan 2020
nabqz said:
I kinda expected more from Shaft in terms of animation.
Looks good but lacks smoothness and choreography in some fights, which the original RWBY had and been known for.

I think it's an ok adaptation, I'm more curious about the new character they introduced.
wtf are you talkign about lmao. all the fights looks amazing
Jun 24, 2022 2:33 PM

May 2016
Are we gonna be able to see Blake's mom in the season?
Jun 24, 2022 2:56 PM

May 2012
Kayle_x_Morgana said:
Are we gonna be able to see Blake's mom in the season?

Askin the real questions
Jun 24, 2022 3:24 PM

Jul 2019
Phoenixfalconer said:

wtf are you talkign about lmao. all the fights looks amazing

Scenes animated by Hiroto Nagata were amazing, but that's all.
The rest was alright, for example:
Team JNPR's fight at Beacon Academy Initiation against that scorpion-like Grimm had an average animation and it was very short comparing the original series' fight.

Nora's hammer work was way cooler in 2013 serie.
Jun 24, 2022 3:54 PM

Jan 2014
I don't want to be that guy because obviously there are reasons to faster pacing but... They met literally 5 minutes ago from our perspective, there wasn't even any indication that this whole thing is not happening within 2 days and then they go say "you guys can do this only because you all are really close friends"... Iirc this was not a scene from OG series too, so why would you add a scene like that to this episode knowing the pacing is what it is... This is not even just fast pacing but in general bad planning imo...
Jun 24, 2022 4:04 PM

Apr 2012
after watching all 3 eps all i can say is:

To err is human. To purr is feline (c)
Jun 24, 2022 4:38 PM

May 2021
The Nightmare Grimm is going to be deadly for anybody who's closed off their or has no friends and is isolated from their family.

While they have gotten all the important information across, the pacing is quite rushed. Jaune and Pyrrha, Nora and Ren haven't spent enough time to make the scenes with them impactful, like the one where Pyrrha teaches him about Aura. Even when they go to free him from the Grimm, the battle is over a tad bit too quickly. There was an entire action sequence at the port with Roman which was off-screened.

Luckily, these were supposed to be recap episodes so hopefully the pacing improves moving forward.

The previous episode introduced a new character whose importance is now revealed in this episode, the Nightmare Hunter. I guess this is the main deviation that was talked about. No Cinder unfortunately.

Jun 24, 2022 6:54 PM

Mar 2019
It was definitely rushed... Juane becoming leader of JNPR felt a little more warranted in the OG series as he actually came up with a plan during the last fight, and was trying to become a stronger character, despite being a very nervy and doubtful person. It lacked some of the more humorous and enjoyable moments as well and because some of these moments were rushed or skipped entirely they didn't land as well. Sun and Penny introduced already? Penny's fight scene skipped entirely, Blake revealing herself as a Faunus already... ah I could go on, can't believe how much was skipped or missed out entirely.. So many impactful moments have just been entirely rushed and to be honest, ruined for newcomers.

Hopefully now that SHAFT has got the "introduction" out the way, the pacing will be a lot better in future episodes...

On a positive note, its nice to see RWBY in 2D and because the earlier volumes of the original didn't have a bigger budget, the animation has been a lot nicer overall. Episode 3 started to introduce some new elements already, which was exciting to see but again fell short because JNPR had barely any time together to feel like an important team moment... SHAFT rushing the first 3 episodes could end up being big mistake as it could push a lot of newcomers away from the show, and irritate many of the older fans.. The pacing seriously needs to be fixed for future episodes.

For reference. The end of episode 3 here is the end of the volume 1 of the original which was 134mins. These 3 were 66mins with also about 5-10 mins of new content. Hence why it feels very rushed...
SwizzeJun 24, 2022 7:24 PM
Jun 24, 2022 7:57 PM

Oct 2016
Head's still spinning from that 1-2-3 release, especially with them trying to recap early RWBY at the speed of sound. Preferable to the slow pace of the original series IMO, but I think the characters might have been characterized better to new viewers if they took their time more. All three episodes definitely felt like recaps, and not in a good way. Looks like the jank was adapted into this version too, though RWBY always had a bit of charm from that.

I guess we'll see what they have when they get to the "canon-adjacent" parts. I liked a lot of the changes they made so far, so it may be able to make up for this weaker start.
Trying out (almost) every anime that airs each season since 2018.
Jun 24, 2022 8:04 PM

Oct 2016
I do like the idea of the nightmare Grimm. Seems like a cool way of exploring characters' internal struggles in new ways and revealing new ones. Hopefully later scenes with it will be better than what we got in this episode, however. There was simply not enough time in this episode to properly explore it with all the other stuff they were trying to accomplish here.
Trying out (almost) every anime that airs each season since 2018.
Jun 24, 2022 8:09 PM
Aug 2021
They said episodes 1 and 2 will show a recap of V1-2 before going to a different route, they only showed Volume 1 cut and merged with an original story.

Part of me believes that this premiere is just a muddled version of the official. Really having strong hope that it IS at the back of my mind.
Jun 24, 2022 8:12 PM
Aug 2021
And the Nightmare Grimm introduction and situation had no tension or stakes in the line at all. Just a hollow scene and an example of Tow Ubukata's hollow writing.

Aw man, this isn't looking good for this RWBY series, at all.
Jun 24, 2022 9:03 PM
Sep 2021
This adaptation is good they added new story and character. But they removed alot of scene which is a big letdown. And I wish they used the OG character BGM. The first season of OG RWBY is funnier and interesting. I think they rushed this too much. Time to rewatch the OG RWBY.
Jun 25, 2022 1:41 AM

Dec 2010
After watching those episodes Shaft has shown once again that it's better to wait for Blu-ray releases to see the final product (especially after most of their veteran animators left)
Jun 25, 2022 1:48 AM
Apr 2020
We are already done with season 1 of og RWBY. I would have expected it to take at least 5 or 6 episodes to get through that material. We might get through the entire Vale Tournament arc at this pace if it's 12 episodes.
Jun 25, 2022 2:19 AM

Feb 2021
I have to agree with a post above that, without enough narrative between scenes, Weiss is like a Multiple Personality Disorder character.
Jun 25, 2022 2:44 AM
Jan 2021
Pacing felt a bit odd, plus I didn't like that they skipped the fight at the docks, cause I really like Roman.
TO EXCEL IS TO FAIL
Jun 25, 2022 4:43 AM

Nov 2021
So good. Shaft did a good job, the animation are so smooth and detailed. Can't wait for the next episode! Hopefully, Weiss personality will change XD

"Curiosity is like a cockroach. It likes to stumble upon secrets that are supposed to stay hidden."
― Hitagi Senjougahara
Jun 25, 2022 5:49 AM

Aug 2013
This is literally better than the original in every feasible way just from the first three episodes. Actual interaction between characters, actual personalities, actual world building and lore foundation right off the bat...yeah, this is what RWBY needed.
Don't believe the hype.
Jun 25, 2022 6:18 AM

Jul 2021
This last third really pushed through a lot of content so I hope it won't feel that big of a letdown in the latter episode, and things seem to be established and set up.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Jun 25, 2022 9:42 AM

Jul 2013
AnonymousCode said:
I have to agree with a post above that, without enough narrative between scenes, Weiss is like a Multiple Personality Disorder character.

I think they were going with that on purpose for this actually especially considering the nightmare grimm taking over.
Jun 25, 2022 11:59 AM
Aug 2017
These 3 episodes were like "previously on RWBY", very fast paced, cut scenes, jump to conclusion. I kinda advise people to watch the original to make the teammate thing more digestable. I've already watched the original years ago, so the scenes just refreshed my memories and I think these 3 episodes designed in the way that assuming people already watched the original, at least the first volume.
Jun 25, 2022 1:07 PM

Sep 2008
YueNaDe said:
These 3 episodes were like "previously on RWBY", very fast paced, cut scenes, jump to conclusion. I kinda advise people to watch the original to make the teammate thing more digestable. I've already watched the original years ago, so the scenes just refreshed my memories and I think these 3 episodes designed in the way that assuming people already watched the original, at least the first volume.

yup, this anime is 1hr 6 mins long (and it also invcludes the Red(not you) White Black Yellow trailers ) and the original one is (acording to this random video i found) 1hr 53mins

so in a nutshell, this is fanservice, and i like my fanservice
Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
Jun 25, 2022 1:32 PM

Feb 2019
I'm not totally sure how to approach this, not having watched more than a clip here or there of the original CGI RWBY series. The initial season being a series of mostly ~5 minute shorts certainly didn't help. So we come to this, which appears to be a alternate universe retelling aimed at fans, and I don't qualify as such. I will say that the animation certainly got a lot of effort and genuinely looks quite good. The fights are fast paced, well choreographed, music fits, not bogged down by pointless exposition or blathering weird technojargan from the sidelines. It could definitely be better though. Every fight is quite one-sided, just the girls beating up random monster/robots/dudes. Take your Garo/Rage of Bahamut/Tokyo Majin/Horizon fights, for example, and there's a lot more back and forth, not to mention banter, even if the raw animation on display wasn't the same caliber. These were more like the recent Symphogear season fights. Visually impressive, but lacking in any tension or weight. Not to mention a little weirdness in the scale. Did this dude seriously put on his best opera clothing and park an aircraft downtown to rob the local bodega?

It's everything else in this first episode that I'm far more uncertain about, and I'm not sure how much of that goes to me not being an existing RWBY fan. It's basically vignettes for three of the titular four characters where they all announce that they want to go to school, somebody gasps some random nonsense jargon word as they watch them beat up -random noun-, and then… they smile about getting to go to school. It's again spread quite thin and there's both no story nor plot to speak of, nor any character depth greater than "I want to do my best." Which isn't to say that I want them to stop and explain the whole world setting. Gods no. It's Generic RPG World where it calles its magicite/fonons/unobtanium dust. I'm confident I can keep up. But I want more of a narrative than "girls want to Do Their Best, and Doing Their Best means going to school because that's where they can Do Their Best."
Jun 25, 2022 1:33 PM

Sep 2013
Pacing is faster than inflation in my country.
Jun 25, 2022 3:11 PM
Mar 2022
Looks like this will be the only anime that I'll watch for Summer 2022 since every other anime this season doesn't appeal to me. Why do the Summer seasons always suck for anime?
"Jesus was black, Ronald Reagan is the Devil, and the government is lying about 9/11." - Huey Freeman
Jun 25, 2022 5:50 PM

Jan 2021
Mixed feelings on this so far. They jammed packed a lot of episodes in an hour and at the same time are introducing a new character, new plot point, and focusing more on Weiss's perspective. Or at least they're trying to focus more on Weiss perspective the writing feels all over the place. Seriously does Penny not care about being see as a robot or what? Also I miss season 1 of RWBY's humor. They removed the bird scene of Weiss and RWBY jumping off the bird, that was one of the funniest scenes in season 1.

I like the new idea of a nightmare Grimm, that's a pretty cool and idea and plot device. If the story wants to focus on Weiss they're should have focused more on her from the start. Maybe start at her being mad at not getting the leadership position and continue from there.

Right now it feels like a mish-mash of ideas in a poorly written fanfiction.
Jun 25, 2022 7:36 PM
Nov 2016
As an RWBY fan, I am very disappointed at this, not only is this rushed as hell, but the anime is very different too and even introduced a new character (the witch) and going inside the dream thing is also new, but that's ok, the anime needs to do its own thing but hell, it's extremely rushed and it's not leaving the characters time to breathe and know each other either.

So far this is meh, I give this adaptation a 6/10 in these 3 episodes, and not only that, the action scenes don't even compare to the original RWBY, seriously, the original RWBY has way better action scenes but to be fair, this anime had a few good moments in the action scenes here and there but the original RWBY simply blows this one out of the water in the action scenes, I couldn't even feel the hype in the battle in that forest, everything is just too damn rushed.

Oh well, I already knew this wasn't going to impress me so I kept my expectations low, I will keep watching it though but so far, meh.
Jun 25, 2022 8:57 PM
Jun 2022
Episode 1 and episode 2 were okay, episode 3 pacing however is terrible, they completely skip the dock fight scene. Also weiss personality is all over the place(not sure if she’s like this in the original, it’s been awhile). I’ll keep my expectation low here onward. Also Blake best girl.
Jun 26, 2022 12:15 AM

Feb 2019
SHAFT MASTERCLASS. Was against watching the original RWBY because I can’t get with western animation/English voice acting, but SHAFT really snapped on this.

From the very jump with Weiss and Ruby’s introductions I was blown away and that only continued to get better as the episodes went on. This is such an interesting and unique world to me. Really excited to see where this goes and I hope that SHAFT can keep up the quality.

I’m in love with Ruby already omg she’s so hot.
Jun 26, 2022 5:04 AM

Sep 2009
I feel like Episode 3 was cut to fit into the movie format and they will have a full episode when it airs properly.
Jun 26, 2022 6:09 AM
Oct 2019
TsunderesTheBest said:
Hiroto Nagata is single handedly carrying this again.

People need to stop attributing all the sakuga scenes to Nagata alone - this is unfair to other talented animators working on the series - such as Kawata, AbeGen and others.
TsunderesTheBest said:
it looks fucking good for a second and the next scene looks mediocre. It's inconsistent.

Reasonable allocation of resources. It seems the only thing OG fans care about is fights, so if they made fights mediocre, they would immediately lose their audience.
TsunderesTheBest said:
Not even a hint Shaftyness is present on this.

You really shouldn't have expected something like this until the anime-original plot begins.
False_MirrorJun 26, 2022 6:52 AM
Jun 26, 2022 6:42 AM

Oct 2015
Wieczorny said:
Pacing is faster than inflation in my country.

But didnt beat the inflation of earlier universe /jk
Jun 26, 2022 8:56 AM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
So far so good.

As a big fan of the og, this new take seems interesting enough and I look forward to see where they go with it.
Jun 26, 2022 6:44 PM

Jun 2020
So this is RWBY huh. I only know a little about Ruby and Co from their role in Blazblue Cross Tag Battle and didn't see the OG series, so i wasn't quite sure what to expect, but it's been really fun so far. And they sure gathered some really great VAs here, like Hayamin, Miki and Kawasumi.
Jun 26, 2022 8:16 PM
Apr 2020
the way this has a 7.41 is astounding because just like normal rwby this was trash
Jun 26, 2022 9:09 PM

Jul 2008
I just finished all 3 episodes in one go so I'll just post my thoughts in this thread. I think the show so far is a 6.5 for me with a lot of rush pacings especially the start of episode 1 and end of episode 3. I'm sure most RWBY fans would have loved to see the Penny fight entirely than just a quick skip to the end but it is what it is I guess.

As long as the show has several good songs and episode 4 onwards are acceptable, that is enough for me.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » RWBY: Hyousetsu Teikoku Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Jun 24, 2022

51 by Pingl0sek »»
Nov 26, 2023 12:00 PM

» Which will happen first

Tank895 - Aug 26, 2023

14 by PinkRawChicken »»
Aug 30, 2023 9:43 AM

Poll: » RWBY: Hyousetsu Teikoku Episode 8 Discussion

KANLen09 - Aug 21, 2022

40 by kitsune0 »»
Feb 25, 2023 12:22 AM

Poll: » RWBY: Hyousetsu Teikoku Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Sep 18, 2022

81 by Jagermeister-kun »»
Feb 24, 2023 6:26 AM

Poll: » RWBY: Hyousetsu Teikoku Episode 7 Discussion

KANLen09 - Aug 14, 2022

49 by Jagermeister-kun »»
Feb 22, 2023 3:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.