Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 16, 2022 8:28 AM

Nov 2011
Welp, they got deeper into the mystery related to Shadows and all that shit that's been going down.

Unforunately, this also led to more grim discoveries as Shinpei continues to explore the unknown. One thing I do appreciate about Shinpei is tha he is even more willing take risks than others now. Story is flowing well too with each episode connecting the anime's main themes.
Jun 16, 2022 8:33 AM

May 2020
No matter how you see that’s not how an old clinic looks, it makes anyone wonder what Sou’s family has been doing for all this time. Though a good thing since Ushio can use her full powers now, things are much easier than they were when Shinpei was doing it all alone, and wait did she just X-rayed that whole statue? The whole of that creepy statue. Didn't shadow scans just replicate things. Won’t be surprised if there’s some other trick too up the sleeve.

Also these many offsprings of Alien-X, just the fuck is this old clinic anymore.
Jun 16, 2022 9:40 AM
May 2021
Is Summertime Render Getting A Dubbed?

I'm curious because I'm a bug dubbed watcher but I don't know when thing like this would typically get announced.

Thoughts please?
Jun 17, 2022 3:30 AM
Apr 2016
Stark700 said:
Welp, they got deeper into the mystery related to Shadows and all that shit that's been going down.

Unforunately, this also led to more grim discoveries as Shinpei continues to explore the unknown. One thing I do appreciate about Shinpei is tha he is even more willing take risks than others now. Story is flowing well too with each episode connecting the anime's main themes.

damn bro, this anime sounds litt. I haven't even watched one episode yet.
Jun 17, 2022 4:02 AM
Jun 2020
I never really feel scared watching horror anime. But this one.. This is the 1st time i actually felt chill through my skin & Bone when watching Shinpei, Ushio, & Sou exploring the clinic, then the underground. Great episode & cant wait for the next one
Jun 17, 2022 6:45 AM
Jan 2022
Without spoilers... Very Creepy, starts to give us some insight into where the origin may be for the shadows. I would say its a good watch, but I think episode 11 will be even more revealing.

I am trying to debate if this is aliens or paranormal its hard to tell!

As for watching this with subs, its out there, I dont want to get in trouble for posting links, but if you search hard enough you can find this episode online right now with english subs.
Jun 17, 2022 7:21 AM

Sep 2011
Damn it is getting more mysterious with those existence of shadow babies. What the flying fuck were those.

Jun 17, 2022 7:48 AM

Jun 2016
ushio so precious !!

i love this show !!
Jun 17, 2022 9:25 AM

May 2021
Great episode! That was a creepy building and statue...
Ushio's copy ability came in handy with that key as well!
They all worked together to beat that shadow!

Looking forward to the next episode!
AISHITERU...REM!
Jun 17, 2022 12:44 PM

Jul 2014
Well, we learned a bit more about how Shadows operate and how the rules for duplicating people and objects work, but other than that we just added more mysteries onto the existing pile.

Definitely very suspicious that Sou's family's "clinic" is directly above some caves absolutely full of Shadows, possibly even a breeding ground of some sorts (or was that the result of some experimentation they did?).
Jun 17, 2022 2:18 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
So, Shinpei was the only one who saw that girl with the red eye... Why? Well, as we can see that girl's right eye is missing, and Shinpei has the power to reverse time that's also in his right eye. Also, the girl said that she's been searching for him for a long time. So with all this information, it's safe to assume that Shinpei's time travelling is that girl's power and not Ushio.

But now the question rises: How did Shadow Ushio manage to steal that power and give it to Shinpei? Or was it even stolen in the first place? Cause if Shadow Ushio actually stole it, then she would have known and mentioned it at least once to Shinpei, but that hasn't happened. So, it's either because Shinpei is special in some way, or it's the future messing with the past (Because we do see another version of Shinpei from time to time that encourages him or something, maybe that's just himself but who knows?).

Or... maybe it's Ushio who is special, because Shinpei's dream was about Ushio handing the power to him, the eye is the same color as hers, and she keeps her memories even after Shinpei loops.

Shinpei also mentioned in this episode that Hiruko-sama looks like she's pregnant... So, if we assume that the red girl is Hiruko-sama, then that could mean that either Shinpei or Ushio is her child.

not much has been revealed so anything goes

Jun 17, 2022 3:50 PM
Mar 2022
If Spy x Family wasn’t released the same time, this anime would have taken over the whole season🔥 these episodes keep hooking you in more and more
Jun 17, 2022 3:53 PM

Mar 2020
Decent episode, with the exploration of Sou's family clinic, which is near to a cave full of shadow babies, which was interesting. Hiruko-sama is an interesting piece of lore, maybe it has something to do with Mother (the girl with the red eye).

My gripe with the show in the last episodes is that it's just not focused enough on the dark aspects. The little jokes feel just a tad bit out of place sometimes.
Jun 17, 2022 8:37 PM
Feb 2018
I am a slight bit worried about the production. The animation the last few episodes has felt a little off...
Which is fine, but a little worrying considering how much of the show is left to air.
Jun 17, 2022 10:04 PM

Jan 2020
Those shadow babies are so creepy lmao. Solid episode

Jun 17, 2022 10:13 PM

Jul 2021
This episode highlights one of the series' minor flaws: the kind of out of place humor and darker tone should have been incorporated better, but I still loved it ngl. In any case of this episode, the infant shadow bothered me slightly. I was sure it was going to go mad and cause havoc for the group: skullface: They easily eliminated it though, and the final scene was a great cliff for the next episode, which will undoubtedly be an exciting sequence surrounded by this darkness.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Jun 17, 2022 10:47 PM
Sep 2019
1.Scary cliffhanger. Welp, we have to wait till next week to find out. All we know is, the main gang is in deep soup. Almost like that scene from any of the Aliens movies where some unfortunate sods enter a room filled with alien eggs.

2.I'm more interested in who the shadows are, and where they came from, and why they were in that hospital.? More information should come out.

3.Why is Shadow Ushio helping our guys? Splits in the shadow gang?
Jun 17, 2022 11:28 PM

Jan 2013
i hate disneysubs soo ****ing much. i refuse to watch this raw. this is ridiculous.
Jun 18, 2022 12:48 AM

Oct 2017
Ushio was adorable this episode but everything else was creepy. That statue and those shadows, too creepy.
Jun 18, 2022 4:19 AM

Jul 2017
Shiori's Shadow clinging onto Shinpei...she's definitely the girl with Red eyes seen at the July 24th festival. And since Sou has seen this much, it would be weird if he backed out of this. Also, Tokiko and Mio shielding from the rain, and this presumptuous detective Miura, what's his deal.

Searching the old and now abandoned Hishigata clinic, Ushio is versatile, but don't stack her up with stuff, otherwise it makes her weak. The searching within feels creepy, like a stand made for deities (Hiruko-sama is one scary thing), certain ones intricate should a Shadow turn up. And for the Ushio that is scared of ghosts, this was a lot of work to even prepare food for the expedition.

A key that opens up to an underground tunnel, everyone needs to protect one another with the high possibility of Shadows lurking beneath. A fat Shadow baby, while it has no eyes or ears, it can smell, and it took them by surprise to eliminate it too late to reach Sou, and Shinpei finally found the courage to stop it before it copies anyone.

Good that no one is in danger, but Ushio's injury caused by Shadow Mio recedes for how long, this is still up in the air. It's also interesting how the copy NEEDS to ensure that the original MUST be erased for it to the operational, so the same trick cannot be done twice. The cave with the lurking baby Shadows surrounding all of them...they really need help to keep save.

Who can help them out of this ordeal? Only one will do...
Jun 18, 2022 4:32 AM

Feb 2021
Janky animation in this episode, but okay I'll allow it. Can't have spectacular action scenes every episode.

I've a couple questions which are related to the previous episode. I'd appreciate it if you could answer them.

1. Shouldn't Sou be surprised to learn that Shinpei is able to go back in time?
2. If Ushio can produce a copy of something using only a strand of her hair, wouldn't it be possible to reproduce Sou's bat and helmet and whatnot, theoretically, infinitely?

I guess there's a lab where Sou's dad can produce more Shadows? Or better yet, a lab found by the Shadows.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Jun 18, 2022 4:34 AM

Feb 2021
CQLLIST said:
This episode highlights one of the series' minor flaws: the kind of out of place humor and darker tone should have been incorporated better, but I still loved it ngl. In any case of this episode, the infant shadow bothered me slightly. I was sure it was going to go mad and cause havoc for the group: skullface: They easily eliminated it though, and the final scene was a great cliff for the next episode, which will undoubtedly be an exciting sequence surrounded by this darkness.
Yeah the jokes sometimes turn me off and kinda ruin the serious moments they're having.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Jun 18, 2022 5:09 AM
Jun 2022
yun1que said:
I never really feel scared watching horror anime. But this one.. This is the 1st time i actually felt chill through my skin & Bone when watching Shinpei, Ushio, & Sou exploring the clinic, then the underground. Great episode & cant wait for the next one
One of the things I really like about this anime is how it keeps you on your toes so much. Of course its known that the main characters will make it through in the end, but god damn does every fight or confrontation scene get to my nerves. It gets me stressed but in a good way. Really wonder how they'll patch up the mystery for why that old clinic has such ties to the shadows and if Sou's dad is collaborating with them, I think I saw Sou's dad talking with one of the shadows in the episode that showcased the July 24 summer festival. All in all, great show so far
Jun 18, 2022 7:16 AM

May 2011
Sometimes the flow between the scenes doesn't feel right.. but dunno...

Anyways, more mysteries, more to solve.. cant wait for the next episode...
Jun 18, 2022 10:22 AM
Mar 2021
takoyaki hit hard fr
Jun 18, 2022 12:20 PM

Jan 2012
Getting more mystery as it goes by

Yahallo!
Yatta!
Baka!

<!
"Humans, your existence was a mistake. Conflicts, lies, jealously, greed. You once caused me to lose everything and today I will devour everything... Because I am the Valkyrie Goddess">
Jun 18, 2022 5:46 PM

Aug 2019
Since when could the shadows see through/inside of things? Kinda feels like they gave Ushio that power because they didn’t know of any other way to move the plot forward.
Jun 18, 2022 6:56 PM

Aug 2019
Sou has been doing great so far. I’m loving their group dynamic.

My assumption for Tokiko's request for Mo to accompany her throughout the festival is because she knows the shadows are looking for her.
Jun 18, 2022 7:05 PM
Jan 2016
Anime__Junkie said:
Is Summertime Render Getting A Dubbed?

I'm curious because I'm a bug dubbed watcher but I don't know when thing like this would typically get announced.

Thoughts please?

no dubs for the plebs
Jun 18, 2022 7:55 PM
May 2020
zoh4ir said:
If Spy x Family wasn’t released the same time, this anime would have taken over the whole season🔥 these episodes keep hooking you in more and more

For me is better than Spy.Just lose tô kaguya sama.Spy is the third one.
Jun 18, 2022 9:12 PM
Mar 2015
forward into the valley of death rode the 600
Jun 18, 2022 10:15 PM
Sep 2015
Gunshot was fired but we don't know what happen at that scene suggest that there might be another loop, but this time we'll witness how the gunshot was fired. This loop seem to provide information, like baby shadow, etc, but no action toward solution yet.
Jun 18, 2022 10:50 PM

May 2015
I enjoyed the creepy exploration of this episode. The foe being giant half headless shadow babies is both interesting and kind of scary. When the first one hit Sou's bat, I kind of expected it to break it, because of how strong Mios shadow was. The most interesting thing that was revealed is that shadows can replicate an item, fuel and all after erasing it. Surprised no one's tried to get rich from that.
Jun 19, 2022 7:34 AM

Jan 2020
I am a fan of the adaptation's attempt to create tension and add that horror component to the show. It's working.

One thing that was raising some questions in the last episode is how shadow Ushio doesn't have access to all of Ushio's memories. It was addressed in this episode. We should think of Shadow Ushio as a set/array of data copied from the original human Ushio. Simply put, it's a collection of data. When she fought the shadow of that little girl, she lost some of it/was going to be erased. I'm not sure if I missed this detail or if it's just the way it works. Sou's father's involvement in this shadow matter is getting revealed. We saw him a couple of episodes ago on the night of the festival or right before I think. He also happens to own this place which seems like it's a nursery for shadows. It's getting more and more interesting.

One concern I have is about Mio and her friend and the guy they met. I am suspecting that the friend is a shadow or, like Shinpei, has the ability to loop or foresee the future. I like this consistent rate of revealing the mystery and adding more details to it all at the same time.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Jun 19, 2022 8:52 AM

Mar 2020
This is soo good.

Ughh what's with that old clinic of Sou-kun's family.

What has his dad been doing?!

So many mysteries!!

Seriously, what's with that CREEPY statue.

Its kinda thrilling going inside the clinic and underground hahaha and I'm watching it at night. 😂 Now I'm scared to go outside. That shadow with many arms back from the festival is still scary. Fck. What if I saw it around my house 😂😂 fck.

Anyways as always I love this anime. Glad to be watching this until the end of summer.
Oppai check!

111 cm: Hancock
110 cm: Zoro
100 cm: Robin
Jun 19, 2022 10:01 AM

Sep 2017
The old clinic was very creepy. Keep Ushio safe makes some sense is we consider that they don't understand how the Ushio looping works. It's only happened once so far so who knows if when they looped again she would have all the same memories and appear at the same time and such. Still pretty risky. Idk how they get out of this baby fest. Obviously Sou's family was up to some shit tho. The other thing is only Shinpei could see Haine's face appear in the memory/flashback. Definitely close related to Shinpei and Hiziru in some way.
Jun 19, 2022 2:41 PM
Jun 2020
To be honest, the more I watch, the more I become disinterested with watching the show. I'm going to finish it because, well, I like to finish everything I start, but I think the reasoning behind this is because this first half of the show spent so much time just telling us background information and just stuff about characters that should have already been known since the beginning or revealed at the end of some mystery Shinpei uncovers.

This is literally the first episode where they attempted to go investigating something connected to one of the inhabitants of this island, which is a breath of fresh air considering this village doesn't really have that much of an identity. They didn't use much screen time to dedicate making this village feel like a real living, breathing place. So much exposition left little time for this and now it just feels like a playground for the characters to run around in.

Don't get me wrong, I was initially excited about Summertime Rendering and thought it would be Anime of the season. I still like it, even though it has its own flaws. It just dissapoints me that this show borrowed many concepts from higurashi and re zero, who took lots of time and care into establishing their settings, and didn't follow through with that itself. Like, Hinamizawa in Higurashi felt like this tight knit community where everyone knew and trusted each other but had some dark secrets lying underneath it as well. Right from the beginning Keiichi was an outsider that, along with the viewer, slowly learn about all the specific details about village life in Hinamizawa. Here, in Summertime Rendering, there's none of that. We only know that there's a summer festival, a family restaurant, and one police officer.

Again, not hating on it, just pointing out some flaws that I noticed so far.
"Anywhere Can Be A Paradise As Long As You Have The Will To Live." — Yui Ikari
"Mankind's Greatest Fear Is Mankind Itself." — Gendo Ikari
Jun 19, 2022 3:01 PM

Feb 2011
When i started this show I appreciated it for having a fair amount of directorial input, good character design and art style, and above average animation, but as the episodes go by, it seems that, despite the fact that the story is still quite engaging, the show is slowly but surely devolving into yet another generic, poorly animated, one-to-one manga adaptation. It's sad, the decrease in quality is apparent and has affected my enjoyment of the show a bit.
Jun 19, 2022 6:40 PM

Mar 2019
First episode i didnt like entirely...

I hope the next episode is better than this one...
Nyan-Pasu!... [ Ara Ara ] [ Waifus ]
Jun 19, 2022 6:54 PM

May 2021
The atmosphere was again amazing this episode. Sou's dad is definitely sus.

Jun 19, 2022 7:49 PM

Jun 2019
I don’t understand why the editing has remained this bad. Or why the sound is still so empty. Stop doing the fast lines on the screen if you aren’t going to add the sound effects. It sucks because these basic aspects weigh down an interesting story and the good-looking visuals.
Jun 19, 2022 8:18 PM

Jan 2013
It was more than obvious that things are going too well, i may say 2 episodes straight is pure luck in this anime. And oh boy, aren't we going to talk about how this is literally Eren? I wonder if the guys doing this anime were watching Shingeki and thinking, oh let's make it like in SnK, if yes? Then big props for the reference.

Oh and also, this leaves me with the same feeling that many other great animes have, thinking you know it all and then boom, a bigger "void sphere" with unknowness.

Now i wonder how they will get out of this...
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Jun 19, 2022 9:21 PM
Jun 2022
Hatsuyuki said:
When i started this show I appreciated it for having a fair amount of directorial input, good character design and art style, and above average animation, but as the episodes go by, it seems that, despite the fact that the story is still quite engaging, the show is slowly but surely devolving into yet another generic, poorly animated, one-to-one manga adaptation. It's sad, the decrease in quality is apparent and has affected my enjoyment of the show a bit.

Couldn’t agreed more
Jun 19, 2022 10:37 PM

Jul 2021
Great episode. As usual we are making new discoveries which in turn are giving rise to even mire questions.

Gotta say though, Ushio's abilitues are really handy and Ushio's fun and cute personality sure helps keep things a little less serious.

But man do these episodes feel short.

5/5.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jun 20, 2022 5:03 AM
Jun 2017
this series is just so great, as they have many secrets being discovered while they are having some adventures, and now we are just seeing those other type of shadows
Jun 20, 2022 8:05 AM

Jul 2016
Exploring the Clinic and then the cave reminded me of Higurashi's

A creepy clinic and cave, what could go wrong. (*゚д゚*)ドキドキ I'm at the edge of my thinking about what they'll find, aside from probably some shadows. Looks like the further they explore the cave, they're getting closer to the ocean, as Shinpei smelled salt.

Dang! many baby shadows ( ꒪Д꒪)ノShinpei: "I guess I'll die for now." ¯\_(×﹏×)_/¯
Jun 20, 2022 12:47 PM

Dec 2016
The first episode of the show that I haven't loved tbh. Animation and direction has been iffy for a couple of episodes now, but this is the one where it stood out the most. The baby scene had the opportunity to be genuinely creepy and tense, but a cheap tackiness just took me out of it. This example's more of a nitpick, but there's another part where Ushio's stomach grumbles and they add really intense anime lines which are just extremely out of place lmao. Small things like that regarding overall presentation have built up and impacted my enjoyment a little bit, as others have said above

Idk if anyone knows what I mean by this but the flow and progression of the episode feels like an RPG Maker game, especially the part with the key. There's also still a few cut/rearranged scenes from the manga that I'm hoping eventually show up (one with Nezu in particular)

To end on a positive note though, I'm looking forward to seeing how they get out of this shadow baby mess in the next episode! Still had a fun time with this one all things considered
MesacboyJun 20, 2022 12:57 PM
Jun 20, 2022 3:38 PM

Dec 2013
Good creepy episode, it's very rare for an anime to have this creepy atmosphere. Only other "scary" episode I remember is 19 from Shinsekai Yori
Jun 21, 2022 7:19 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
This one had a good mix of comedy and horror while also discovering more stuff that adds to the mystery, the trio of Ushio, Shinpei and Sou is fun to watch as they head straight into danger lol.

Waltzing into the ruins of an old clinic complete with a World War 2 (I’m guessing) bunker and an actual cave, what could go wrong besides super creepy shadow babies lol, but I enjoyed the fight against one of them, and now the gang is surrounded, I’m guessing Shadow Ushio is gonna shine once again because I don’t see any other way out of this besides maybe unexpected backup lol.

There were also a lot of great Ushio moments once again, and Tokiko is acting sus once again, I’m guessing she’s not just random other girl #7 lol. And that statue of the god Hiruko was definitely creepy, that’s without a doubt tied in with the shadows somehow.
Jun 21, 2022 7:23 PM

Aug 2011
I can't believe this episode is basically Resident Evil Village.

and I just realized this is a 25 episode anime.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Summertime Render Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 28, 2022

144 by RGreatDanton »»
May 1, 12:55 PM

Poll: » Summertime Render Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 21, 2022

193 by RGreatDanton »»
May 1, 12:41 PM

Poll: » Summertime Render Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 14, 2022

340 by RGreatDanton »»
May 1, 9:37 AM

» [Spoilers] So how did Ushio get... ?

SabreDrago - Sep 23, 2022

25 by Cyrose »»
Apr 23, 7:09 AM

» Ushiro and Shinpei

janayoo - Apr 5

10 by aniart_nation »»
Apr 10, 5:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.