Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 14, 2022 10:27 AM

Nov 2011
I have to say..Roux is kinda badass when she's serious.

Still not sure how I feel about Holt in this show. I want to like her character but she has mixed and complex emotions than some of the others. About time she demonstrated some magical talent in this show though and it's not too shabby.

Apr 14, 2022 11:51 AM
Sep 2015
Kudo and Hort's childhood look very cheap to me, and they're supposed to be tragic.
Apr 14, 2022 12:15 PM

Apr 2020
The story is definitely mediocre and typical. Nothing we've never seen before. But credits for doing a proper basic story-telling.
I'd personally be putting it on hold for now though. And with the booming amount of good Anime this season, I might decide to drop it eventually.
It's not a priority-level Anime but, if you happen to watch it, it at least won't be wasting your time. If you'll only watch Fantasy-Adventure Anime from this season, it's worth including on your list. Just don't expect much.
-+=<(8)>=+- -+=<(8)>=+- -+=<(8)>=+- -+=<(8)>=+- -+=<(8)>=+- -+=<(8)>=+- -+=<(8)>=+-
Apr 14, 2022 12:23 PM

Feb 2019
Desperately waiting on doujinshi of loli sensei to come out. She must be bred.
Apr 14, 2022 12:31 PM
Nov 2020
That holt girl is annoying af screaming all day got me fucked up
Apr 14, 2022 1:20 PM
Mar 2021
this looks like discount grimoire of zero
Apr 14, 2022 1:21 PM

Jun 2015
MC confirmed not to be total useless. Mana enough to not only wield the staff but sate its mana stockpile which had been being depleted over however long. 'Use me'. Now when you have a talking staff you know you got a wild item. I sense an interesting story to be told here, looking forward to more episodes.
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Apr 14, 2022 1:37 PM

Mar 2010
Maybe it's just me but I found this episode super annoying to watch.
Too many flashbacks, quick camera switches and yelling.

I don't know, it made me super annoyed overall.

*Edit; Typo's
Apr 14, 2022 1:52 PM

Sep 2018
I wonder if Kudo getting dismembered will be a running gag in this show

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Apr 14, 2022 2:00 PM
Sep 2020
OMG, i should have bet on the mc beeing op but he doesn't know or that power is asleep.

But i have one question Kudd is a lizard, so why does he bother for his tail, lizards don't grow their tail again? (If i'm wrong in lizards grow their tail again or kudd is not a lizard pls tell me)
Apr 14, 2022 2:20 PM
Jul 2018
It's confirmed unfortunately This is another medíocre show of This season,mid animation(no choreography during fights a bunch of magical attacks that were not properly shown and the lack of Weight of the fights)so far all the characters are mediocre and sincerely i don't think that This aspect is going to change,just because a character has a quote a quote bad past doesn't make it good automatically
Apr 14, 2022 2:48 PM

Apr 2010
I'm actually kind of impressed at how terrible this is.
Apr 14, 2022 3:03 PM

Dec 2016
This was pretty bad on so many levels.

Seib could had easily tossed the staff back to Roux once he had it covered with the witch-hunter mantle and let her handle the situation, but nope, they just hoped following the orders of a bloodthirsty hunter would help them get out of such a dire situation.

Hort's sad backstory being told while everyone was in a bind felt like playing a turn based game and have all time in the world to plan your move. Nobody moved or blinked and they all had to listen to her long sad soliloqui.

Remember that Simpson skit where Nelson playing the role of Goliath is blown up by eating fire? Bart says something like, that explosion that left me unharmed must have likely killed the giant. This is exactly what happened after Seib grabbed the staff and unleashed it's magica powers, nobody in their party was harmed, the mysterious mage killer disapeared along with a vast portion of the forest, and we're just supposed to "eat that".

I certainly don't have any attachment to the characters, their sob stories nor the aspulls they will pull out to come out of dire situations, I'm going to stick to this show for a little while just out of pure morbid curiosity and see if the true star of this story Zero, makes an appearance.
Apr 14, 2022 3:20 PM
Oct 2021
Right now I’m just hoping this will be more than 12 episodes. It’s giving me “Jobless Reincarnation” vibes. As in I remember it started off super slow just explain everything. Then by episode 5-6 it started really going.

So far just wanting more after each episode right now.
Apr 14, 2022 3:55 PM
Oct 2021
Should just title this the Adventures of Tits McGee and Loli Panties
Apr 14, 2022 4:25 PM
Jan 2022
Everyone complaining… and me just loving every minute of it. This show is great!!

FYI same world as Grimoire of Zero and looks like lots of crossover.
Apr 14, 2022 5:00 PM

Jun 2017
Roux and the staff are the best characters so far. lol

Didn't expect we'd go into gore so fast tho. :D
Apr 14, 2022 5:11 PM

Mar 2018
After that backstory, I cannot be bothered to stick around for future episodes if this is the level of storytelling present.
Apr 14, 2022 5:35 PM
Mar 2022
The plot is good! but tbh, this anime has a bad CG
Apr 14, 2022 7:24 PM
Jan 2020
The animation is wonky... Hort's boobs go up 2 cup sizes depending on the angle. Still pleasantly distracting though.

Apr 14, 2022 8:17 PM

Nov 2018
I hadn't seen Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho prior to this show starting, so I stopped a couple min into the first ep and watched that...I enjoyed it quite a bit, though the end was a little hand-wavy. I then restarted this show, now looking forward to how it would go...the first ep was ok; I don't expect too much out of first eps...this ep was pretty bad, though. The backstories felt super rushed, the "reveal" of Hort being from the church was way too soon for me to care, I'm totally not a fan of the lizard getting chopped up... it's just not good. It's well below the previous series, so far; with me coming straight off of that, this is super disappointing.
Also, what is up with the names in the Crunchyroll subs?
MiaAyendeApr 14, 2022 8:21 PM
Apr 14, 2022 8:17 PM

Sep 2018
This is like "Sage with the weakest crest" of the Spring Season, mediocre power fantasy with some eye candy.
Apr 14, 2022 9:49 PM

Jan 2021
Something I do get tired of seeing in these shows is having the MC have this wealth of power, but they still get tossed around like a ragdoll because "they have so much power that it makes them useless"

Apr 14, 2022 10:33 PM

Jan 2013
Hort’s tragic backstory did me no favor because she is annoying as hell
Apr 14, 2022 11:15 PM

Dec 2020
how'd they make that worse than the manga😭😭

but ermmmm on a positive note my fav part is the last scene with ludo and tit deer girl. i laughed a bit
Apr 15, 2022 1:18 AM

Jul 2015
The episode was a lot cheesy and hard to complete.. will not lie.. the stories and pacing felt so outta place.. dropping the score to 7..
will decide on next episode if its worth watching or dropping
Apr 15, 2022 1:30 AM

Mar 2013
I just realized Holt's character is such a cliche that she doesn't stand out that much from my point of view.

Anyway, infinite magic... okay, but he is still oblivious. Me watching another character again growing into a~ smh.

Well, that episode ain't bad and it is decently enjoyable but for this episode, the end comedy was hilarious but most of them were average...
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Apr 15, 2022 1:50 AM

Apr 2014
Can this anime change the MC??! lol 🤣
Sable got an insane amount of mana, but literally, especially from his personality, he is useless and dull. He can't do anything useful, yet he is also creating more problems.
何それ?意味分かんない
Apr 15, 2022 2:08 AM
Sep 2020
If I'm watching this anime it's because it's a sequel/spin-off to Grimoire of Zero, which I love.

The first episode was okay, but this one seemed pretty weak to me, and the flashbacks to the characters' pasts seemed forced.

I'll watch it to the end, but I hope this episode was just a minor blip and the rest are great.
Apr 15, 2022 8:25 AM

Jul 2017
Story-wise, since this is a spin-off of Grimoire of Zero written by the same author, the same problems come back to haunt this series, which doesn't help at all.

The remnants of the disbanded Dia Ignis is surprisingly still around, and Kudo the lizardman is directly on their tracks, only to get needlessly captured by Tyrant, the one Witch Hunter Arbiter and have Loux save him. Then the worse happens as Sayb and Hort comes in only to make the situation much more defying, only to reveal that Hort is part of the Church's anti-witch faction as a spy. But she's had enough of the games, and Sayb has to be taken hold of the witch-eating Staff of Ludens to expunge its infinte power.

The same complexities from 5 years ago come back to reel in yet again, and with somewhat decent production, this feels worse than Grimoire of Zero.
Apr 15, 2022 5:57 PM

Dec 2015
This spin-of are using all the credits of Grimoire of Zero, and is spend them very fast...

Horrible characters
Horrible direction
Bad Animation
and a mediocre story
Apr 15, 2022 6:21 PM

Mar 2014
pacing is a huge problem. flashbacks are being popped out suddenly out of nowhere...
Apr 15, 2022 8:42 PM
Apr 2022
Super generic story so far. No of the character particularly standout. Based of it's synopsis and previews I gave this anime a "Three Eps Watch" Im hoping by Eps 3 it gives me reason to keep watching but so far it looks like this anime will end up in my "Dropped" list.
Apr 15, 2022 9:23 PM

Jan 2013
Sayb touched the staff but he's good and apparently, he has an infinite pool of mana, which i guess explains some things.
I do wonder if Roux could give her staff like that.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Apr 16, 2022 7:32 PM

Aug 2020
Not that interesting. Good thing Kudd is saved.

» [The World's Continuation【世界のつづき】- UTA/Ado ♪] «
0:00 〇────── 4:55
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

Come and Join us!
Evil Club ψ
FuwaFuwa Sanctuary ✿
✿ DeaD Blossoms ✿
Apr 16, 2022 9:48 PM
Sep 2021
At the beginning of the second episode, I thought Roux is just nothing but a weak one, that's all I thought about but I guess I was wrong about it, he really is a strong one but just can't control his powers that right and I'm excited to see soon if he will be able to use his powers right or not. Looking forward to the next episode.
Apr 17, 2022 10:44 AM

May 2009
Shame about cheap animation.
Apr 17, 2022 12:19 PM

May 2015
Well this took a straight up nose dive, not that it was particularly good to begin with but yeesh that was bad
Apr 17, 2022 7:25 PM

Aug 2018
Decent episode, I’m liking this series. And onto the onsen we go!
Apr 17, 2022 11:53 PM

Nov 2012
a lot of dumb stuff, I was about to drop this show but the prev showed Zero, so I'll give it a shot

My Candies:

Apr 19, 2022 7:11 PM
Ichigo Parfait
Oct 2015
Hahahahhaha this is maybe THE worst episode of any piece of media I have ever watched. In ONE HALF of the episode, episode TWO I might add, we had: a character face their trauma; a character origin story; the heroic display of will; a massive character motivation reveal; the worst reaction to be outed as a spy ever; ANOTHER BACKSTORY.

I cannot emphasise just how many basic rules of storytelling this single episode is descimating and then putting into a pestle and mortar and turning into gunge. It's terrible. It's so terrible I would legitimately use this in my lectures as the perfect example of how to fail at story writing. It's so terrible it's education. I cannot fathom how a team of professionals wrote this show and thought it was worth putting money into.

Exposition in pretty much every line; terribly handled amnesia; a plot paced so fast they might as well be killing a demon lord by now; and to top it all off, horrible directing on the voice acting.

I'm excited because this might just be the worst show I will ever watch, and I cannot wait for it to proudly take its place among the only three 1 ratings I've ever given shows.
Apr 19, 2022 7:13 PM
Ichigo Parfait
Oct 2015
UkRs said:
The episode was a lot cheesy and hard to complete.. will not lie.. the stories and pacing felt so outta place.. dropping the score to 7..
will decide on next episode if its worth watching or dropping

Bro gave it higher than a 7 before???
Apr 22, 2022 8:51 AM

Nov 2010
Holy crap, this was insultingly bad. I was ready to fight through the mediocre stuff the show threw at me to see how it relates to the main story, because, while not exceptional, it was a fun watch with some interesting world building ideas. After this episode I give up on that prospect, the characters are incredibly stupid, the animation is stiff and feels low budget, and the story seems to be mediocre at best.
Time to drop this.
Apr 22, 2022 3:51 PM

Oct 2018
They are moving at a blistering pace. We get multiple character backstories, the witch hunter just disappears(?)/gets defeated. Nobody else gets damaged, huge tonal shifts and weak production is not a new thing. It also went brutal in some scenes, never expected that and the MC did turn out to be overpowered which was the biggest red flag from the previous. But even with that, it's still one of the better fantasy of the season so I am definitely continuing this although I don't know if not watching Grimoire of Zero is hindering my experience with this.
Apr 28, 2022 4:29 PM

Dec 2021
Better episode than the first but it's still just world building and character development. Hopefully the 3rd episode finally gives some direction to the story. I know that this is supposed to be a spin off/ sequel, but I expected a similar feel to Grimoire of Zero. So far Dawn of the Witch barley even feels like a continuation of that storyline.

May 3, 2022 12:57 AM
Oct 2019
so the dude has an "infinite" amount of magic? and that's why he can't control it?

well i'll be damned

i still think this show is an 8/10. it's good
May 3, 2022 8:56 PM

Jun 2017
This episode was a major step up from the last. I really enjoyed it. I am excited to see characters return from the previous show and see how they interact.
May 19, 2022 4:13 AM
Nov 2019
*Student held hostage and about to get killed*
Loli witch: let's not surprise attack the kidnapper and make a flashy entrance by cutting up a tree and then chatter on.

*loli witch winning the fight, classmate is kidnapped*
MC: let's shout from a distance to make sure the kidnapper know prey is coming.

How clever.
Jun 7, 2022 6:08 AM

Apr 2011
So Seyb isn't actually magic-less but has lots of magic but can't control it?

Interesting.

loli witch sensei is cute.

Also Holt fanservice. Nice.
Jul 16, 2022 1:58 AM

Jul 2015
Kudo and Hort's past feels forced in my opinion. Not a big surprise on the 'weak' Sayb turning out to be kinda OP with his infinite mana (as usually goes in fantasy anime).

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahoutsukai Reimeiki Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2022

62 by Talamare »»
Yesterday, 6:02 PM

Poll: » What do you think about Mahoutsukai Reimeiki characters?

Shizuna - Apr 11

0 by Shizuna »»
Apr 11, 1:38 AM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai Reimeiki Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 16, 2022

29 by Garrett_Dark »»
Feb 4, 2:20 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai Reimeiki Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2022

16 by Garrett_Dark »»
Feb 4, 12:03 AM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai Reimeiki Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - May 5, 2022

39 by Garrett_Dark »»
Feb 3, 5:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.