Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Mar 24, 2022 10:34 PM

Apr 2009
Danpmss said:

Hey, long time no see you in One Piece discussions.

What I meant with the foreshadowing in Skypeia is just about that panel in 1018 being a callback to a much earlier panel of Luffy. Which was put in there as a hint to be compared and theorized with before the reveal we just got, in the beginning of last year.

That one especifically doesn't necessarily need to have been planned since around that time, though. If anything, Skypeia was supposed to be the near the end of the story at one point, I would be most positive it wasn't.

Big chapters tend to lure me out :P

It was always curious how the party scene in Skypeia with the dancing Luffy was chosen as one of Oda's favourite manga panels in interviews, so there obviously was more significance to Skypeia than many fans imagined (I always enjoyed Skypeia as a peak OP arc, feels good to be vindicated in a sense btw). However, this is still not much given the gravitas of completely changing the main character's power - a power which Oda went on record as to have chosen specifically because it isnt special, mind you.

Not to mention his other favourite scenes during the Sabaody arc where they talk about resin...

Anyway, according to Greg on APF (the guy who does the superfan columns in Japan and whose quite connected to Oda himself) it seems that people close to the creation process of OP expected this reaction and that there may be more to it. If I were to speculate I'd

a) bank on Vegapunk appearing pretty soon at last to finally give us the much needed infodump on DFs, their origin, their properties and what the hell the WG and MADs are trying to do with them.
b) still not rule out theories about resin. Not only because of Oda's mentioning of that scene, but because the "spirits trapped within" idea might fit with resin encasing corpses and thus creating fossils.Just something to keep in mind.

For now let's see how it all plays out.

CG-Silver said:

Even though Nika wasn't namedropped earlier, I believe introducing Joyboy way earlier in the series served as an adequate pre-cursor to the current events. Moreover, Luffy's durability and immediate recovery time can now partially be credited to his Zoan fruit abilities (since Zoan's are known to recover quicker and be more durable).

*Moreover, ever since the start of the series, the fact that Shanks even had the Gomu Gomu no Mi was enough of a hint that it wasn't going to be a simple rubber fruit.* And I think credit shouldn't be taken away from Luffy for using it so innovatively.

So, Luffy's fruit being special isn't even the most surprising thing or the biggest deal. BUT what I'm surprised about is why no one is mentioning the elephant in the room. The Gorosei mentions that Luffy's fruit is "The most ridiculous power in the world". I don't believe they mean it in the sense that the fruit is especially too powerful or anything. I believe they used this phrase to signify that it has a ridiculous ability to inspire others. So, the questions really begs: Throughout the series, Luffy was shown to be a magnetic and inspiring personality, the freest man alive. Was it all just Luffy or was it the devil fruit?

Determination vs determinism is the big one, indeed. Oda was firmly in camp 1 before, but post-TS the latter camp has been stedily getting more pronounced with the Strawhat reveal in the Referie, Joyboy, prophecies, etc.
I don't see the reason why Luffy needs to be a literal chosen one either when he could just as well take up the mantle figuratively, but I hope Oda adresses this soon.
NidhoeggrMar 24, 2022 11:00 PM
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Mar 24, 2022 10:35 PM
Jul 2020
Nidhoeggr said:
Extremely controversial decision by Oda to go for a unique Zoan fruit based on someone that has - by Oda's standards - barely been fareshadowed. Nika wasn't namedropped in Skypeia at all (and you could argue that a large part of the mythology applied to the giant snakes being revered as sun gods back then due to Aztec myths as a theming device) and both Who's Who randomly spouting conspiracies at Jimbei 30 chapters ago as well as this weird conversation by the Gorosei seem very hamfisted compared to Oda's usual style.

I like the toon force style powerup as Gear 5/Awakening, but the same could be achieved by keeping it as the Gum Gum fruit and that's not even touching this whole can of worms it opens up regarding the WG's inactivity regarding the fruit, the entire determination vs determinism angle, the fact that apparently zoans house actual spirits of living beings now and that somehow Luffy is the only awakened Zoan in an arc that should be the primary Zoan showcase.

I am extremely curious how Oda plans on resolving all of this, but this reveal feels very clumsy ... something I get from the entirety of Wano tbh. I hope that once the series is done we get some behind the scenes stuff on the frankly baffling focus shifts, weirdly sidelined subplots and other curiosities surrounding this arc.

This is certainly the biggest chapter since Roger's arrival on Laugh Tale and the Referie ones, though. Maybe even the biggest chapter in the post-ts era.

This actually sums of my whole thoughts on this chapter though Nika and others were forshadowed earlier but I dont know why Oda did retcon Luffy with it.
I found the chapter epic but this might be turning point in manga and if Oda fumbles here even a bit it could be very bad for manga falling to all the tropes which are disliked.
i just hope Luffy doesnt become too op here
Mar 24, 2022 10:46 PM

Apr 2015
Nidhoeggr said:
Danpmss said:

Hey, long time no see you in One Piece discussions.

What I meant with the foreshadowing in Skypeia is just about that panel in 1018 being a callback to a much earlier panel of Luffy. Which was put in there as a hint to be compared and theorized with before the reveal we just got, in the beginning of last year.

That one especifically doesn't necessarily need to have been planned since around that time, though. If anything, Skypeia was supposed to be the near the end of the story at one point, I would be most positive it wasn't.

Big chapters tend to lure me out :P

It was always curious how the party scene in Skypeia with the dancing Luffy was chosen as one of Oda's favourite manga panels in interviews, so there obviously was more significance to Skypeia than many fans imagined (I always enjoyed Skypeia as a peak OP arc, feels good to be vindicated in a sense btw). However, this is still not much given the gravitas of completely changing the main character's power - a power which Oda went on record as to have chosen specifically because it isnt special, mind you.

And lets not talk about one of his other favourite scenes during the Sabaody arc where they talk about resin...

Anyway, according to Greg on APF (the guy who does the superfan columns in Japan and whose quite connected to Oda himself) it seems that people close to the creation process of OP expected this reaction and that there may be more to it. If I were to speculate I'd

a) bank on Vegapunk appearing pretty soon at last to finally give us the much needed infodump on DFs, their origin, their properties and what the hell the WG and MADs are trying to do with them.
b) still not rule out theories about resin. Not only because of Oda's mentioning of that scene, but because the "spirits trapped within" idea might fit with resin encasing corpses and thus creating fossils.Just something to keep in mind.

For now let's see how it all plays out.

CG-Silver said:

Even though Nika wasn't namedropped earlier, I believe introducing Joyboy way earlier in the series served as an adequate pre-cursor to the current events. Moreover, Luffy's durability and immediate recovery time can now partially be credited to his Zoan fruit abilities (since Zoan's are known to recover quicker and be more durable).

*Moreover, ever since the start of the series, the fact that Shanks even had the Gomu Gomu no Mi was enough of a hint that it wasn't going to be a simple rubber fruit.* And I think credit shouldn't be taken away from Luffy for using it so innovatively.

So, Luffy's fruit being special isn't even the most surprising thing or the biggest deal. BUT what I'm surprised about is why no one is mentioning the elephant in the room. The Gorosei mentions that Luffy's fruit is "The most ridiculous power in the world". I don't believe they mean it in the sense that the fruit is especially too powerful or anything. I believe they used this phrase to signify that it has a ridiculous ability to inspire others. So, the questions really begs: Throughout the series, Luffy was shown to be a magnetic and inspiring personality, the freest man alive. Was it all just Luffy or was it the devil fruit?

Determination vs determinism is the big one, indeed. Oda was firmly in camp 1 before, but post-TS the latter camp has been stedily getting more pronounced with the Strawhat reveal in the Referie, Joyboy, prophecies, etc.
I don't see the reason why Luffy needs to be a literal chosen one either when he could just as well take up the mantle figuratively, but I hope Oda adresses this soon.

Definitely agree on this one. Oda is walking a very risky line at the moment. He also needs to address as to why more drastic measures weren't taken to recapture the fruit/Luffy.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 24, 2022 11:06 PM

Apr 2009
Maybe it's worthwhile to read his SBS comments about the Hito Hito no Mi back when Chopper joined and other small tidbits for now... I am pretty sure this decision was a rather recent one on his part.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Mar 24, 2022 11:07 PM

Jan 2021
not gonna lie hearing the spoilers i hated it, but actually seeing it now!!! it's so good..
Mar 24, 2022 11:15 PM

Jul 2012
nanashi796 said:
so the gorosei knew all along or shanks told them? if they knew all along this doesn't make any sense.

We don't know much about their background and knowledge just yet, at all.

We only know that they came to know about Luffy's shenanigans during Enies Lobby because of Robin's situation (Arabasta's situation involving the Strawhats was covered up by Smoker), as they mention hearing about "one thing after the other with this Straw Hat boy" in chapter 594.

They seemed much more concerned about the Four Emperors up to that point, and Luffy being related to both Garp, Rayleigh and Dragon was the one thing that sparked their actual interest in him as a threat. They never mentioned knowing about his powers at all, either. Then, in 793, they learn of Luffy defeating DoFlamingo in Dressrossa at the end of the arc, still no signs of them knowing too much of Luffy.

Then during the Levely, a big red flag happens, in which Shanks, someone we later know to have had stolen the fruit out of the CP9's hands (context unknown) go talk with the 5 Elders about a certain pirate (which was highly likely Luffy, just what is Shanks planning).

Just after we cut to a scene with them meeting with Im, who previously has been shown to be interested in Luffy (emphasis on him looking at the gigantic Straw Hat in the freezing room, while holding his Wanted poster), asking him if he has decided who to eliminate (shortly after a scene of Im in his garden with a bunch of destroyed posters including Luffy's, Shirahoshi's and Blackbeard's).

Much later in Wano, the Elders are shown to want to capture or kill Robin still, and also wanting to eliminate Luffy for his threat in case Kaido can't defeat him and loses, ordering CP0 to kill him. Only then they mention all the stuff about the one fruit with the name changed because of them wanting to hide the legend of Nika from history (Who's Who mentions them killing anyone who even knew about the name Nika or the legend, as it happened with a guard who told him about it), and how it was a legend even for them at that point, since it hasn't been awakened for hundreds of years).

In this chapter, it's revealed that despite that, they are doing good in going as far as to sacrifice their best CP0 agents to eliminate such a threat as a priority, just in case it happen to awaken.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
CONCLUSION:

Going through this chronology, it's probable that Shanks told the Elders about Luffy possessing the Gomu Gomu/Nika fruit they longed for. We know nothing of the conflict with Shanks and CP9 and how that information was hidden, only that Who's Who got jailed for it, but it seems like they were skeptical of the fruit being what it is themselves, for the longest time, and Shanks telling them about Luffy was what triggered them to ultimately take action in Wano (even recently, one of the members was still debating about the gomu gomu truly being the real deal Nika fruit as for centuries no user has awakened with it, being shut down by other member saying the WG gave another name only to that one specific fruit, of course they were covering up for something). And from there, as they met with Im, they sent CP0 to capture/eliminate Robin and eliminate Luffy, infiltrated in Wano.

We know less about Shanks for more than a thousand chapters than we know about the Elders, so that's likely going to be unknown for a while still.

Mar 24, 2022 11:19 PM

Jul 2012
Early_Morning said:
Chapter was very divisive in my opinion. While seeing Luffy wreck Kaido was amusing, the Hiyori scene took way too long and was totally unnecessary, especially the inclusion of Kanjuro's flame. Can he please just fucking die already?!

Also seeing Luffy win against Kaido after getting a deus ex machina power-up is gonna feel really weird and off-putting once the arc is finally over, to me at least. I mean, all that time watching him train to use Advanced CoC in that horrible prison arc, and in the end it'll barely have any impact on the result of the battle. But as long as the fight ends in the next chapter or two, I guess it doesn't matter.

They have been talking about everything leading to this power up for a year worth of chapters, this was no deus ex machina/asspull, as per definition of the word. It's definitely one of the least spaced out big expositions in One Piece so far though.
DanpmssMar 24, 2022 11:25 PM
Mar 24, 2022 11:23 PM

Nov 2016
Danpmss said:
@FMmatron
No biggies there, I totally get your point that it's definitely not the way Oda usually does his exposition, and was just reinforcing your statements in that listing overall, tbh haha

We are about in the same page here, as per usual really lol

But on the disagreement side, Luffy's paramecia being much closer to the transformative nature of Zoans with his use of creativity for powering it up has always been a contentious point in discussions for a while, and since last year, a part of a discussion regarding what could the fruit really be after all (plenty of theories, one of which hits the nail with it being a Mythical Zoan Hito Hito no Mi that may have rubber properties... though the theory on itself was associating it to Hanuman and not Nika iirc).

When it comes to special paramecias, as far as examples go in canon, they have Logia-like properties normal paramecia do not instead (Katakuri), which Luffy's never had really (I think?), and even those as far as I'm concerned ever were displayed like the Gears are used. As for transformative Zoan properties coming from their own substantial body, it has quite a contrast to how other non-awakened Paramecia users had so far (during the entirety of OP, Luffy never awakened his fruit, so environmental transformative powers with their properties like Doflamingo's, Kidd's, Law's or Katakuri's never took place to firmly establish it as paramecia, it was always more similar to Zoan's progression (Awakened Zoans would also explain his quick recover after the beatdown he just suffered), as to say, Chopper's transformations with the Hito-Hito no Mi, much like Luffy's Gears, which were surprisingly similar to how Gear 4 turned out to be.

Anyway, all just food for thought tbh, Luffy's paramecia being always displayed in quite a differently progressive way than any other non-awakened user is my point haha

Much like Chopper's Hito-Hito transformations and unlike other paramecia's modifications (awakened or not) as far as I'm concerned by power usages so far, it was also the only one that had damaging effects on the user, do refresh my mind if I'm incorrect.

Because of that, I'm inclined to disagree on them being within what one would expect a Paramecia to be like, and it really was a point I never had too many arguments on when confronted with it, personally. I think Gomu Gomu always has been the least paramecia-like paramecia in the series, as far as we seen of other users (Robin for one also gets very creative with her fruit and the way her abilities go are not quite progressively developed the same).

--------------------------------------------------------

But disregarding all that, as the real issue would be Luffy's fruit not working as a Zoan instead (which it does, since it basically just changed to him becoming like a rubber man, just not directly rubber itself), even if I were to be very wrong about the aforementioned, I think there would still be no issue.

Like, depending on how this goes, even in terms of early exposition leading to this... THEORY TIME!!:

1- For all we know, MADS was trying to create an artificial Zoan fruit out of Luffy's, which would be why eventually they were called SMILEs because of the side effect that make people laugh uncontrollably like Luffy right now maybe. That would make this reveal have evidentially been foreshadowed and planned for at least 400 chapters (Punk Hazard), even if the namedrop was only 30 chapters ago, which would make for what one would expect of Oda's planning and further proof this reveal definitely didn't come just from Wano, but from the very start of this behemoth of a Saga.

2- Considering for how long this entire plot thread with Vegapunk has been going for, while we don't know why Kaido's cloning was a failure to him that made him leave the team, that would be consistent with WG's obsession with obtaining the fruit even if having to mess with lineage factor artificially, which would explain why we eventually got SAD and the SMILE fruits developed. The fact they are exclusively regarding Zoan types and not any other is more than enough of a hint that if Luffy's fruit was so important to the WG, it was likely to be revealed as a Zoan after 1018.

3- This could be a Zoan that works more like a Paramecia, much like Katakuri's is a Paramecia that works more like a Logia, given the context, if everything still checks out with Paramecia established overall characteristics and I'm wrong.

Overall, all I'm saying is that there are more than enough past plot threads that could easily back this up as not being a sudden development never hinted at before, and I alone can think of a few haha

I'm no one to criticize people's overview in the execution for now (since it's so different from his usual thing to do it all in a same arc), but if that turns out to be the case, I do think people won't have much to complain!

Paramecia fruits grant the user supernatural powers or the user becomes a superhuman. From Bara Bara no Mi to Opera Opera no Mi, everything seemed possible and there are basically no limits. A rubber body certainly didn't seem all that different and even the Gears that utilized the uniqueness of said rubber body came with a plausible explanation. Speeding up the blood flow which no human would survive, inflating the bones and muscles, all very sound and creative. I'd say that we explored the versatility of the Gomu Gomu no Mi in depth simply due to the fact that Luffy is the MC. He was in countless fights and therefore had more than enough opportunities to give him many power ups/transformations with a risk/handicap. Endless Gear 2nd, 3rd and 4th would've been overkill. Even if the storytelling is top tier, we shouldn't forget that this is a battle shounen at the end of the day. There's the Gear 4th design that could speak for a Zoan. At first I thought it's just another Dragon Ball hommage, but it's a bit sussy.

Zoan shapeshifting is usually harmless. The damage in Chopper's case was a sideeffect of Rumble Ball (drug) overdose, no other regular Zoan user except for Marco had to deal with depleted stamina or other issues and that's because Marco used a supernatural ability that requires energy. It's only logical that Luffy would suffer from sideeffecrs as well when he's recklessly fighting with his altered body. Plus, the Paramecia modification we've seen always came with a drawback. Moria's shadow insertion puts a strain on bodies and wears the person out and that's surely not without risks in the long run and Big Mom has to sacrifice years of her own life to power up. So ultimately it's safe to say that all powers decrease your life if you use them to the limit. The greater the risk the greater the payoff. The Ope Ope no Mi is a paradigm with it's perpetual youth surgery, but to provide a less extreme example for the same fruit, Law himself stated that he cut down his life a bit in exchange for the huge Room that allowed him the Gamma Knife surprise attack on Doffy.  The Awakening for Paramecia's was showcased rather later, whereas they've been established as supernatural powers since Skypiea. Also, Luffy used semi Paramecia Awakening in this chapter...as a confirmed Zoan. You see how many holes onr can poke, not to mention that there are always outlier abilities such as the Yami Yami no Mi, which is the least Logia like Logia. Even the Jake Jake no Mi is built different 🗿 I'm sure it has it's own sub-category, lmao.

Bottom line, the depiction of Luffy's rubber body has always been unmistakably closer to a Paramecia than a Zoan which is generally characterized by 3 forms, human, animal and hybrid, at least in accordance with what has been established. What all the theories have in common is that they're very recent, so it doesn't add up with what you're tryin to sell here buddy.

You brought up some valid points as to how to tie in this reveal further, even tho 1 a bit too vague and it only works in retrospect. SAD, SMILES and Lineage Factor don't tell me that Luffy is a Zoan. For other reveals the foreshadowing has been better defined. To make it worse, we only learned that Shanks got the fruit from the Goverment in chapter 1017. If this was indeed planned, then I would've preferred to get this info earlier.

As for point number 2. Well, they used Lineage Factor from various animals for SAD and just from what Drake said, it's implied that Vegapunk successfully recreated Kizaru's laser.

Point 3 is fine.

However, the problem is not how back it up after the reveal. The problem is or was to back up the build up to the reveal. This is the crux.

Despite all my nitpicks, I'm fine with it, it works after all and is still exciting storytelling. I even love how the Nika fruit gives Luffy's creativity a whole new meaning, but the timing of how crucial info was placed in the grand scheme of things was by no means up to par and it's something I don't want to sugarcoat.

@Ayu_01 looks like Orochi took a good chunk of this chapter xD It's so funny how the screwed himself and Hiyori's rage face was one of the best expressions in a while. Also damn, Kaido is such a bro and Luffy is giving this man hopium xD

After reading the scans I'm fully hyped. It's at least as hype as Gear 4th back then.

@Danpmss

Had to quote you again because I accidentally deleted the post while editing...

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 24, 2022 11:38 PM
Aug 2021
Danpmss said:
@FMmatron
No biggies there, I totally get your point that it's definitely not the way Oda usually does his exposition, and was just reinforcing your statements in that listing overall, tbh haha

We are about in the same page here, as per usual really lol

But on the disagreement side, Luffy's paramecia being much closer to the transformative nature of Zoans with his use of creativity for powering it up has always been a contentious point in discussions for a while, and since last year, a part of a discussion regarding what could the fruit really be after all (plenty of theories, one of which hits the nail with it being a Mythical Zoan Hito Hito no Mi that may have rubber properties... though the theory on itself was associating it to Hanuman and not Nika iirc).

When it comes to special paramecias, as far as examples go in canon, they have Logia-like properties normal paramecia do not instead (Katakuri), which Luffy's never had really (I think?), and even those as far as I'm concerned ever were displayed like the Gears are used. As for transformative Zoan properties coming from their own substantial body, it has quite a contrast to how other non-awakened Paramecia users had so far (during the entirety of OP, Luffy never awakened his fruit, so environmental transformative powers with their properties like Doflamingo's, Kidd's, Law's or Katakuri's never took place to firmly establish it as paramecia, it was always more similar to Zoan's progression (Awakened Zoans would also explain his quick recover after the beatdown he just suffered), as to say, Chopper's transformations with the Hito-Hito no Mi, much like Luffy's Gears, which were surprisingly similar to how Gear 4 turned out to be.

Anyway, all just food for thought tbh, Luffy's paramecia being always displayed in quite a differently progressive way than any other non-awakened user is my point haha

Much like Chopper's Hito-Hito transformations and unlike other paramecia's modifications (awakened or not) as far as I'm concerned by power usages so far, it was also the only one that had damaging effects on the user, do refresh my mind if I'm incorrect.

Because of that, I'm inclined to disagree on them being within what one would expect a Paramecia to be like, and it really was a point I never had too many arguments on when confronted with it, personally. I think Gomu Gomu always has been the least paramecia-like paramecia in the series, as far as we seen of other users (Robin for one also gets very creative with her fruit and the way her abilities go are not quite progressively developed the same).

--------------------------------------------------------

But disregarding all that, as the real issue would be Luffy's fruit not working as a Zoan instead (which it does, since it basically just changed to him becoming like a rubber man, just not directly rubber itself), even if I were to be very wrong about the aforementioned, I think there would still be no issue.

Like, depending on how this goes, even in terms of early exposition leading to this... THEORY TIME!!:

1- For all we know, MADS was trying to create an artificial Zoan fruit out of Luffy's, which would be why eventually they were called SMILEs because of the side effect that make people laugh uncontrollably like Luffy right now maybe. That would make this reveal have evidentially been foreshadowed and planned for at least 400 chapters (Punk Hazard), even if the namedrop was only 30 chapters ago, which would make for what one would expect of Oda's planning and further proof this reveal definitely didn't come just from Wano, but from the very start of this behemoth of a Saga.

2- Considering for how long this entire plot thread with Vegapunk has been going for, while we don't know why Kaido's cloning was a failure to him that made him leave the team, that would be consistent with WG's obsession with obtaining the fruit even if having to mess with lineage factor artificially, which would explain why we eventually got SAD and the SMILE fruits developed. The fact they are exclusively regarding Zoan types and not any other is more than enough of a hint that if Luffy's fruit was so important to the WG, it was likely to be revealed as a Zoan after 1018.

3- This could be a Zoan that works more like a Paramecia, much like Katakuri's is a Paramecia that works more like a Logia, given the context, if everything still checks out with Paramecia established overall characteristics and I'm wrong.

Overall, all I'm saying is that there are more than enough past plot threads that could easily back this up as not being a sudden development never hinted at before, and I alone can think of a few haha

I'm no one to criticize people's overview in the execution for now (since it's so different from his usual thing to do it all in a same arc), but if that turns out to be the case, I do think people won't have much to complain!
hate to be that guy, but smile is actually namedropped in shabaody archipleago, by doflamingo to his slaver subordinate. So it's been longer and further proof the foreshadowing bit.
Mar 24, 2022 11:40 PM
Jul 2016
Sun God, holy shiiiieeeet, hahaha, that was an epic chapter.
Mar 25, 2022 12:06 AM

Apr 2017
the comedic way everything happened like the eyes popping out and luffy tearing the ground like paper, it's like his power is toon-like and if that's the case...toon force luffy is broken
Mar 25, 2022 12:29 AM

Nov 2018
Joyboy, Laughtale… Now the protagonist is literally a cartoon that makes you laugh and puts a smile on your face. Man, its such a joy to see this masterful story coming together more and more.

And as always it is funny to see how reactionary morons are getting BTFO by Oda once again. No “possession” crap, no “reincarnation” bullshit and most certainly no “chosen one” stuff. Now the same people are once again doubting Oda after this (absolutely amazing) chapter and have absolutely not learned a single thing. Lol Meanwhile here I am having more faith in Oda than ever before.
Mar 25, 2022 12:47 AM

Jul 2012
FMmatron said:

Paramecia fruits grant the user supernatural powers or the user becomes a superhuman. From Bara Bara no Mi to Opera Opera no Mi, everything seemed possible and there are basically no limits. A rubber body certainly didn't seem all that different and even the Gears that utilized the uniqueness of said rubber body came with a plausible explanation. Speeding up the blood flow which no human would survive, inflating the bones and muscles, all very sound and creative. I'd say that we explored the versatility of the Gomu Gomu no Mi in depth simply due to the fact that Luffy is the MC. He was in countless fights and therefore had more than enough opportunities to give him many power ups/transformations with a risk/handicap. Endless Gear 2nd, 3rd and 4th would've been overkill. Even if the storytelling is top tier, we shouldn't forget that this is a battle shounen at the end of the day. There's the Gear 4th design that could speak for a Zoan. At first I thought it's just another Dragon Ball hommage, but it's a bit sussy.

Fair point, as mine is basically just that Luffy's the only paramecia to have displayed some specific characteristics and uses for his body, at the end of the day. Devil's Proof perhaps, for lack of any other similar examples at least from what I could remember.

Zoan shapeshifting is usually harmless. The damage in Chopper's case was a sideeffect of Rumble Ball (drug) overdose, no other regular Zoan user except for Marco had to deal with depleted stamina or other issues and that's because Marco used a supernatural ability that requires energy.

It's only logical that Luffy would suffer from sideeffecrs as well when he's recklessly fighting with his altered body. Plus, the Paramecia modification we've seen always came with a drawback. Moria's shadow insertion puts a strain on bodies and wears the person out and that's surely not without risks in the long run and Big Mom has to sacrifice years of her own life to power up. So ultimately it's safe to say that all powers decrease your life if you use them to the limit. The greater the risk the greater the payoff. The Ope Ope no Mi is a paradigm with it's perpetual youth surgery, but to provide a less extreme example for the same fruit, Law himself stated that he cut down his life a bit in exchange for the huge Room that allowed him the Gamma Knife surprise attack on Doffy.  The Awakening for Paramecia's was showcased rather later, whereas they've been established as supernatural powers since Skypiea.

Yeah, I think I will give this point to you, you gave me enough evidence I actually forgot about. As for Chopper, the comparison was more regarding the way he forces the limits of his Zoan, and we clearly lack evidence in examples other than Marco, indeed. But the comparisons you just made are totally fair game, so I'll accept defeat in pointing out that evidence as a valid example.

Also, Luffy used semi Paramecia Awakening in this chapter...as a confirmed Zoan. You see how many holes onr can poke, not to mention that there are always outlier abilities such as the Yami Yami no Mi, which is the least Logia like Logia. Even the Jake Jake no Mi is built different 🗿 I'm sure it has it's own sub-category, lmao.

As for this, I guess that's where my point 3 enters, in case I was wrong. Fits well enough.

Bottom line, the depiction of Luffy's rubber body has always been unmistakably closer to a Paramecia than a Zoan which is generally characterized by 3 forms, human, animal and hybrid, at least in accordance with what has been established.

Absolutely right, one thing that makes it a Paramecia more than the odd characteristics is the fact that Zoan's have a mind of their own, for literally being based upon a living form of some sort.

My point however was the evidence that show us that it wasn't quite as similar to a Paramecia in terms of development of characteristics and transformations. Which is why I was stating it didn't act like your usual paramecia, not straight denying it as one.

You brought up some valid points as to how to tie in this reveal further, even tho 1 a bit too vague and it only works in retrospect. SAD, SMILES and Lineage Factor don't tell me that Luffy is a Zoan. For other reveals the foreshadowing has been better defined. To make it worse, we only learned that Shanks got the fruit from the Goverment in chapter 1017. If this was indeed planned, then I would've preferred to get this info earlier.

Just to correct all of my other posts mentioning it, I missed the right chapter by 1 unit, the Who's Who exposition actually is in 1018 instead.

What would tell that Luffy's fruit is a Zoan is the fact the entire plot point with the artificial fruits only applies to Zoan. if that has anything to do with Luffy's fruit being Nika and that's where the whole research team was going for (likely using Nika's DNA from the big hat, body or something) with their recreation experiments, that would mean this reveal was likely planned from as long as the SMILEs have first been mentioned and foreshadowed since as far as Sabaody, if @Hell_gatel is correct with his statement just now.

As for point number 2. Well, they used Lineage Factor from various animals for SAD and just from what Drake said, it's implied that Vegapunk successfully recreated Kizaru's laser.

Not only implied but confirmed, but he synthesized it only, to use in the Pacifistas, he wouldn't be able to create a devil fruit out of it nor it was implied, as it was stated post-timeskip that only Zoans could be artificially replicated, likely for their lineage factor of living beings.

While at it, just to correct myself once more, Vegapunk didn't leave the team after the apparent failure of Kaido's fruit, he was still working to the WG ever since MADs was made their own for being considered a threat, up to the point when Judge and Queen jumped ship, and 4 years prior the current timeline, when he was blamed for Caesar's explosions in Punk Hazard, he was just forced to abandon the site and started working elsewhere for the WG making Pacifistas.

Point 3 is fine.
However, the problem is not how back it up after the reveal. The problem is or was to back up the build up to the reveal. This is the crux.

Despite all my nitpicks, I'm fine with it, it works after all and is still exciting storytelling. I even love how the Nika fruit gives Luffy's creativity a whole new meaning, but the timing of how crucial info was placed in the grand scheme of things was by no means up to par and it's something I don't want to sugarcoat.

That remains to be seen, if the things are anywhere as closely interconnected with these previous plot threads regarding the entire Vegapunk plot, then the whole thing had been in the works since before the timeskip, and it's nowhere near as recent as just Wano.

I do agree that this was the least spaced out big exposition regarding a specific extremely important plot Oda has done in a while though (not the first one however, and Ace being the son of Gol D. Roger takes the cake with only 24 chapters or so even hinting on his bloodline in any way during his conversation with Garp, in prison).
Mar 25, 2022 1:04 AM

Feb 2018
chapter had me smiling throughout oda is a legend man

i dont know how this reveal will play out in the future, if Im still gonna like how it shakes the story up but rn im loving it and I trust in odas writing.
I really love the looks from the form luffys looks insane

one question I have in mind directly tho is why did the government not hunt harder for luffy? Did shanks tell them more about the fruit perhaps? Also what does shanks know, what did roger know and what does kaido know about?

Im really excited how this plays out
Jul 2018
🎵 Doom dut da da 🎵

The way Luffy casually grabbed Kaido and went all Hulk-Loki on him. 💀

Epic design either way, cannot wait to see this animated. 😍

May 2020
My god I have no words, honestly that's one of the best chapters I've ever read, so much excitement compacted in like 20 pages man. I cannot wait for the next release I am so desperate to see the conclusion of this.
Mar 25, 2022 1:23 AM
Mar 2021
Great chapter, I just hope Oda wont make Luffy a godlike reincarnation character.
Him being an idiot with rubber powers was a big part of his character and having the hito hito no mi model nika could destroy this. But this power could actually explain red hawk and I thik GEAR 5´s design looks great
Mar 25, 2022 1:52 AM
Mar 2022
That shit is lame af I waited twenty yrs to see this man to go full Rodger rabbit it's a little too goofy even for Luffy...I mean c'mon now we all thought gear 5 was gonna be a lil less childish
Mar 25, 2022 2:05 AM
Jul 2021
ONE OF THE BEST CHAPTERS OF THE SERIES, THE FUNNY HAD ME LAUGHING HARD. ODA SENSEI PLAYING WITH THE EYES, ALSO FOR A MOMENT THE EMPEROR OF THE SEA KAIDO LOOKED LIKE A GARDEN SNAKE, EVERYONES REACTION TO LUFFY WAS ALSO AWESOME. ONLY ZORO WASN'T SHOWN I HOPE HE IS OKAY. GOOD THING OROCHI WAS DEFEATED, HIYORI'S DIALOGUE MADE ME EMOTIONAL, BUT DUE TO THE HYPE OF THE SECOND HALF OF THE CHAPTER THAT MOMENT WAS INSTANTANEOUS.
5/5
FAVOURITE CHAPTER THIS YEAR
Mar 25, 2022 2:11 AM

Sep 2017
Luffy looks so good and this chapter was amazing,I still cannot believe we've got Gear 5.
The remake of Berserk is a mistake.
Mar 25, 2022 2:40 AM
Apr 2019
Luffy? more like Wuffy
Mar 25, 2022 2:42 AM

Jan 2017
I'm beginning to feel like a Sun God..Sun God..
(⁠☞⁠ ͡⁠°⁠ ͜⁠ʖ⁠ ͡⁠°⁠)⁠☞ YouTube @ The Pirate Collector ԅ⁠(⁠ ͒⁠ ⁠۝ ͒⁠ ⁠)⁠ᕤ
Mar 25, 2022 2:43 AM

Jun 2021
not gonna lie - this was an extremly extremly good chapter.
oda, you amaze me!!
Mar 25, 2022 2:47 AM
Jan 2009
So i watched Ohara video just now and :

Chopper ( 1 and 10 ) HI TO
Brook ( 4 and 3 ) YO MI
Robin ( 8 and 7 ) HA NA
Luffy ( 5 and 6 ) GO MU
Luffy ( 2 and 9 ) NI KA

Oda is not Human

PS : Fact that Luffy was in his Hybrid form all of his life is XD.
IsshinMar 25, 2022 3:29 AM
Mar 25, 2022 3:25 AM
Jan 2017
Zero0_01 said:
So oda tricked fandom for 23 years...

He stayed true to himself (from SBS 65)
Mar 25, 2022 3:28 AM
Jan 2017
CG-Silver said:

Just Luffy and not the devil fruit. The Gorosei call it the most "ridicilous" power because it's "only limited to the imagination of the user". Just look at what Luffy has achieved with that fruit. He is the most imaginative guy. This doesn't retcon anything he has achieved. The fruit power is only as good as the imagination of its user. Luffy did everything on his own.

willhdean263 said:
That shit is lame af I waited twenty yrs to see this man to go full Rodger rabbit it's a little too goofy even for Luffy...I mean c'mon now we all thought gear 5 was gonna be a lil less childish

You are reading the wrong manga if you think that Oda would start making a less goofy manga after 25 years.

You got Gear 4 Snakeman as little less childish. Gear 5 fits Luffy perfectly. I always wonder where the people come from that want to have their headcanon designs be thrown onto One Piece just because other manga try their hardest to appeal to 15 year olds.
Mar 25, 2022 3:47 AM
Dec 2021
Morayne said:
Zero0_01 said:
So oda tricked fandom for 23 years...

He stayed true to himself (from SBS 65)

So seems like I should reread all sbs again , this sbs prove oda is one of best mystery's mangaka i ever seen....
Mar 25, 2022 3:52 AM

Sep 2020
ODA is kinda speeding up the pace and thats cool , there is a chapter next week aswell
Imo the best chapter in wano-kuni , the gorosei + the awakening are huge aspects in the story and i hope we get more info next week

Mar 25, 2022 4:25 AM

Dec 2008
Has Luffy's hair gone blond of white? This is a wacky gear 5th, but I love it.
Mar 25, 2022 4:28 AM

Jul 2012
Nidhoeggr said:
However, this is still not much given the gravitas of completely changing the main character's power - a power which Oda went on record as to have chosen specifically because it isnt special, mind you.

Just to address this one little thing, but he never actually did say he chose the power because it wasn't special (that instead was part of the fan's questioning of why Oda may have seemingly picked a weak-looking Rubber fruit for the protagonist).

He just said he chose the most ridiculous power he could have fun with, and that no matter how serious the story may get, Luffy would be there to stretch and inflate.

Nothing really changed in that regard, honestly. If anything, the Nika form is just that in spades imo haha

Maybe it's worthwhile to read his SBS comments about the Hito Hito no Mi back when Chopper joined and other small tidbits for now... I am pretty sure this decision was a rather recent one on his part.

Regarding this btw, could you please tell me the one you are referring to? I honestly forgot most of the Q&A that went down over the years except the most iconic ones.
Mar 25, 2022 4:39 AM

Nov 2016
@Danpmss

Fair point, as mine is basically just that Luffy's the only paramecia to have displayed some specific characteristics and uses for his body, at the end of the day. Devil's Proof perhaps, for lack of any other similar examples at least from what I could remember.

Yeah, I think I will give this point to you, you gave me enough evidence I actually forgot about. As for Chopper, the comparison was more regarding the way he forces the limits of his Zoan, and we clearly lack evidence in examples other than Marco, indeed. But the comparisons you just made are totally fair game, so I'll accept defeat in pointing out that evidence as a valid example.

Appreciate it. I mean you brought up some nice points which made me question things. It's good to have this kind of debate for a change. We're roo used to Sloth, lmao.

As for this, I guess that's where my point 3 enters, in case I was wrong. Fits well enough.

For sure, I mean Oda hasn't told us that a Zoan or more precisely the Mythical Zoan of a God can't do that.

Absolutely right, one thing that makes it a Paramecia more than the odd characteristics is the fact that Zoan's have a mind of their own, for literally being based upon a living form of some sort.

My point however was the evidence that show us that it wasn't quite as similar to a Paramecia in terms of development of characteristics and transformations. Which is why I was stating it didn't act like your usual paramecia, not straight denying it as one.

It surely wasn't quite like pretty much all Paramecia as it changed his body permanently. Thrown into the water most Devil Fruit users become like normal humans, but Luffy who doesn't have to activate his powers will still be stretchy. Same goes for when he's touched by Kairouseki.

Just to correct all of my other posts mentioning it, I missed the right chapter by 1 unit, the Who's Who exposition actually is in 1018 instead.

What would tell that Luffy's fruit is a Zoan is the fact the entire plot point with the artificial fruits only applies to Zoan. if that has anything to do with Luffy's fruit being Nika and that's where the whole research team was going for (likely using Nika's DNA from the big hat, body or something) with their recreation experiments, that would mean this reveal was likely planned from as long as the SMILEs have first been mentioned and foreshadowed since as far as Sabaody, if @Hell_gatel is correct with his statement just now.

Nika lore was dropped in 1018, but we learned about Shanks at the end of 1017. I hope you don't mind anoter nitpick 🙈

SMILES were foreshadowing for Doflamingo's business. That's actually a case where it's clear cut foreshadowing. We even knew that he had some business going on since his first introduction during the Shichibukai and Navy meeting. But the mere name drop of SMILES as foreshadowing for this chapters reveal? Sorry that's way too vague again.

Not only implied but confirmed, but he synthesized it only, to use in the Pacifistas, he wouldn't be able to create a devil fruit out of it nor it was implied, as it was stated post-timeskip that only Zoans could be artificially replicated, likely for their lineage factor of living beings.

Well, I don't remember any direct confirmation regarding the laser tech and there's a shred of a doubt since Franky was able to add the Radical Beam to his body too with the help of blueprints Vegapunk left behind. It's likely to assume that they're based on the same technology. So it suggests Vegapunk came up with it before he got captured by the Government, that's most likely the point in time when he started having access to Kizaru or rather said his Lineage Factor or how else did he recreate it? If that's the case it had to be post MADS and post leaving his old lab behind? So yeah, gotta add some good old head canon to fill the gaps. I'd say it's old lab on his home island, followed by MADS and later research for the Government. So it begs the question what's the deal with Franky's beam on the basis of old blue prints. This is off topic, but I started wondering about it again, lol.

That remains to be seen, if the things are anywhere as closely interconnected with these previous plot threads regarding the entire Vegapunk plot, then the whole thing had been in the works since before the timeskip, and it's nowhere near as recent as just Wano.

I do agree that this was the least spaced out big exposition regarding a specific extremely important plot Oda has done in a while though (not the first one however, and Ace being the son of Gol D. Roger takes the cake with only 24 chapters or so even hinting on his bloodline in any way during his conversation with Garp, in prison).

That's all I wanna see and I have little doubt that Oda will deliver once again in the end.

And yep, Ace being not Luffy's real brother or the Supernovas were last minute additions which prove that Oda also got talent as a gardener.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 25, 2022 4:47 AM

Aug 2018
This is the ultimate smackdown of a chapter, gear 5 actually is happening and the conclusion of Wano arc is coming closer and closer.

The mythical Zoan statement as ridiculous as it may sound does make sense since luffy body is modified from inside and unlike many paramecias he cannot generate any attack or rubber itself.

This is of course stupidly risky and could result absurd writing moments in future, but this is the Oda we are talking about, might aswell just give to the story everything you want rather than regret it later.
Mar 25, 2022 5:25 AM

Dec 2020
Peak Fiction. As expected of God ODA or should I say Go.D. Oda

Mar 25, 2022 5:38 AM

Jun 2016
Just think "it's the most ridiculous power, not the strongest" and knowing luffy how ridiculous he is.
It's like it is meant for him.
2023 might be the year where I will be happy. This year is not happy year.
Mar 25, 2022 6:02 AM
Feb 2021
There’s some problems I had with it that needs to be answered like the Elders knowing if Luffy are the DF or not.
There’s also a lot of questions like why did Luffy change his appearance when awakening?

How long will it last?
How strong will he be with his new form with CoC.
Nevertheless this is one of the best chapters and I’m excited to see Luffy vs Kaido
Mar 25, 2022 6:57 AM

Nov 2016
Danpmss said:
[

Regarding this btw, could you please tell me the one you are referring to? I honestly forgot most of the Q&A that went down over the years except the most iconic ones.

Here it is.

Volume 20, page 164

D: WHAT HAPPENS IF A PERSON EATS A HITO HITO NO MI?

O: I suppose I should say they "BECOME HUMAN". Uh, I guess you could say that means like becoming an adult, or finding your true spirit or something. So basically, people will live more human-like. Well. I guess you could say that. Or not. Basically, not. Goodbye. (runs away).

I dunno about that one. Oda's answers can at times be vague and trollish and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Mar 25, 2022 7:21 AM

Jul 2012
FMmatron said:
Danpmss said:
[

Here it is.

Volume 20, page 164

O: I suppose I should say they "BECOME HUMAN". Uh, I guess you could say that means like becoming an adult, or finding your true spirit or something. So basically, people will live more human-like. Well. I guess you could say that. Or not. Basically, not. Goodbye. (runs away).

I dunno about that one. Oda's answers can at times be vague and trollish and should be taken with a grain of salt.

He totally fled from that question without confirming a thing, damn lol
Mar 25, 2022 7:27 AM

Mar 2021
Nika was somewhat foreshadowed in Binks' sake

波がおどるよ ドラムならせ♪ Now the waves are dancing, Beat upon the drums
おくびょう風に 吹かれりゃ最後♪ If you lose your nerve this breath could be your last
明日の朝日が ないじゃなし♪ But if you just hold on, The morning sun will rise

Obviously it foreshadows Joy Boys return and also somewhat Nika, with the ''morning sun will rise''
But Oda making that decision is still a bit risky, but we believ :D

whybemeMar 25, 2022 7:31 AM
Mar 25, 2022 7:28 AM

Jul 2014
The freedom champion Luffy ! The chapter was fire, it doesn't seem like the mysteries surrounding the manga are exhausted yet...
Mar 25, 2022 7:37 AM

Nov 2016
Danpmss said:
FMmatron said:

Here it is.

Volume 20, page 164

He totally fled from that question without confirming a thing, damn lol

True, this is neither a confirmation nor can't we rule anything out just based on this half-assed answer.

But in all honesty, this isn't much different than his usual easy going style with lots of sarcasm.

Some of his replies are absolute comedy gold when he decides to go full snarky troll.

whybeme said:
Nika was somewhat foreshadowed in Binks' sake

波がおどるよ ドラムならせ♪ Now the waves are dancing, Beat upon the drums
おくびょう風に 吹かれりゃ最後♪ If you lose your nerve this breath could be your last
明日の朝日が ないじゃなし♪ But if you just hold on, The morning sun will rise

Obviously it foreshadows Joy Boys return and also somewhat Nika, with the ''morning sun will rise''
But Oda making that decision is still a bit risky, but we believ :D

I think this line could also correlate with "The Dawn of the World"

Mar 25, 2022 7:45 AM
Jan 2017
Im kind of concerned on how Gear 5th will work, hopefully its not some wacky cartoon character that goes bonkers like that SpiderPig in 'Into The Spiderverse' where he seemed to bend reality and completely unrealistically pull a hammer off his pocket or when Bugs bunny just defies common sense sometimes, because from what was said that the fruit was limited to the user's imagination, that wording can mean that Luffy might just do whatever he wants, I mean its completely in character and IT IS fiction but I hope it doesnt pass that line.
JirehhhhhMar 25, 2022 7:59 AM
Hhhmmmmmm.......
Mar 25, 2022 8:05 AM
Jul 2018
@FMmatron there are a lot of things that I was thinking whole day and now I have some answers.
First of all, we don't know yet that Luffy has the power of imagination (this is just speculation from my side). And if he has the power then oda has taken the riskiest move in one piece yet, but I believe in Oda's supremacy and I know he will deliver it perfectly.

Second thing is that I think, I know why gorosei don't know about gomu gomu no mi.
My theory is that when Toki travel 800 years in future, she brought Nika fruit with her to wano and somehow she lost that fruit in the process. And 800 years ago when ancient kingdom/Wano decided to close their border (the Ancient Kingdom being vanished completely), they changed the fruit name from Human Human fruit; Model: Nika to Gum-Gum fruit. And this whole theory also says that even Imu-sama will be not aware of the existence of fruit for 800 years because the fruit was not even there, it travelled the 800 years in future and when Roger landed on the final island aka laugh tale, he learned about the Nika fruit (or the alternative, he learned about the devil fruit from Oden, who learned about the Nika fruit from Toki).

And I know the reason why Shanks was crying because he thought that when Roger will travel the last island he may learn about his disease and there will be a cure for him but Roger had some fu*ked up incurable disease.
Shanks also learned about the Void Century from Rayleigh and then he learned about the Nika's fruit. And 12 years ago when he gets the info about a gomu gomu devil fruit being transported to a Celestial Dragon, he attacks the WG ship and steals the fruit to hide it in the most peaceful sea, east blue sea. But unfortunately, Luffy eats the fruit and Then Shanks have only one choice that is to believe in Luffy!
Then in Reverie arc, Shanks tells Gorosei about the real name of Luffy's devil fruit and tell them to eliminate Straw Hat Luffy, but in truth, Shanks knew how to awaken the true power of Luffy and he also speculated that Luffy cannot defeat Kaido without Devil Fruit awakening. So, he decides to play a risky move by telling Gorosei the truth about the fruit.

I know there are many problems in my theory but it makes sense if you look at what happened in Reverie and why Gorosei doesn't know about the gomu gomu fruit.

-----------------------

Now, about my second theory. What if Luffy truly have the power of imagination?
I think puffy will still fail to use his Imagination power to its full potential because to imagine you have to think and we have never seen Luffy imagining or thinking. For him, his devil fruit is nothing more than gomu gomu no mi. And I think there is a limit to how much time he can maintain his 5th Gear.
I believe in Oda and I think he will do something great & goofy with this new power.

------------------------

@FMmatron @Ayu_01
Now about the chapter itself, I will say the truth it's my 2nd Favourite Chapter from the series & I loved it from start to finish.
Hiyori's speech to Orochi was great, his face when she was crying, was perfectly drawn. I think Kazenbo was the will of Kanjiro and if you remember correctly, he said in chapter 1030 that his final act of revenge starts with Kazenbo. In truth, he was taking revenge on Orochi for taking his freedom away from him. Kazenbo was meant to blast the bombs in the basement with Orochi.
And I love that Orochi is being burned down in pain just like Oden. Now I just want him to stay alive until Hiyoru takes him in front of Wano's people and they all kill him in the most brutal way possible.
As for awakening, I'm just enjoying it!!!

@Danpmss I really liked your theory on that smile fruit and luffy keep laughing. And I think luffy will cure the curse of Ebisu town and he will also heal the killers laughing problem!!
removed-userMar 25, 2022 8:09 AM
Mar 25, 2022 8:27 AM

Nov 2016
VolKur said:
@FMmatron there are a lot of things that I was thinking whole day and now I have some answers.
First of all, we don't know yet that Luffy has the power of imagination (this is just speculation from my side). And if he has the power then oda has taken the riskiest move in one piece yet, but I believe in Oda's supremacy and I know he will deliver it perfectly.

Second thing is that I think, I know why gorosei don't know about gomu gomu no mi.
My theory is that when Toki travel 800 years in future, she brought Nika fruit with her to wano and somehow she lost that fruit in the process. And 800 years ago when ancient kingdom/Wano decided to close their border (the Ancient Kingdom being vanished completely), they changed the fruit name from Human Human fruit; Model: Nika to Gum-Gum fruit. And this whole theory also says that even Imu-sama will be not aware of the existence of fruit for 800 years because the fruit was not even there, it travelled the 800 years in future and when Roger landed on the final island aka laugh tale, he learned about the Nika fruit (or the alternative, he learned about the devil fruit from Oden, who learned about the Nika fruit from Toki).

And I know the reason why Shanks was crying because he thought that when Roger will travel the last island he may learn about his disease and there will be a cure for him but Roger had some fu*ked up incurable disease.
Shanks also learned about the Void Century from Rayleigh and then he learned about the Nika's fruit. And 12 years ago when he gets the info about a gomu gomu devil fruit being transported to a Celestial Dragon, he attacks the WG ship and steals the fruit to hide it in the most peaceful sea, east blue sea. But unfortunately, Luffy eats the fruit and Then Shanks have only one choice that is to believe in Luffy!
Then in Reverie arc, Shanks tells Gorosei about the real name of Luffy's devil fruit and tell them to eliminate Straw Hat Luffy, but in truth, Shanks knew how to awaken the true power of Luffy and he also speculated that Luffy cannot defeat Kaido without Devil Fruit awakening. So, he decides to play a risky move by telling Gorosei the truth about the fruit.

I know there are many problems in my theory but it makes sense if you look at what happened in Reverie and why Gorosei doesn't know about the gomu gomu fruit.

-----------------------

Now, about my second theory. What if Luffy truly have the power of imagination?
I think puffy will still fail to use his Imagination power to its full potential because to imagine you have to think and we have never seen Luffy imagining or thinking. For him, his devil fruit is nothing more than gomu gomu no mi. And I think there is a limit to how much time he can maintain his 5th Gear.
I believe in Oda and I think he will do something great & goofy with this new power.

------------------------

@FMmatron @Ayu_01
Now about the chapter itself, I will say the truth it's my 2nd Favourite Chapter from the series & I loved it from start to finish.
Hiyori's speech to Orochi was great, his face when she was crying, was perfectly drawn. I think Kazenbo was the will of Kanjiro and if you remember correctly, he said in chapter 1030 that his final act of revenge starts with Kazenbo. In truth, he was taking revenge on Orochi for taking his freedom away from him. Kazenbo was meant to blast the bombs in the basement with Orochi.
And I love that Orochi is being burned down in pain just like Oden. Now I just want him to stay alive until Hiyoru takes him in front of Wano's people and they all kill him in the most brutal way possible.
As for awakening, I'm just enjoying it!!!

@Danpmss I really liked your theory on that smile fruit and luffy keep laughing. And I think luffy will cure the curse of Ebisu town and he will also heal the killers laughing problem!!

Interesting thoughts for sure, it's always nice to read a passionate quality post. I also like yours and Danpsmss idea of tying in Luffy's Awakening with the victims of the Smile. Something gotta happen for them to get their happy ending. But it would be cool if Chopper could take of care of it. Plus, the only thing they have left is laughing, I dunno how Luffy could fix that, he either would have to take it away as well or give them back their other expressions through a miracle. And dude, Luffy is the definition of creative fighting genius. The ability suits him perfectly and explains stuff like Gear 4th which pretty much is a transformation in retrospect. There's a lot to take in here, even if the foreshadowing hasn't been on point.

The chapter was pure joy. I just need to see another full body panel of Luffy/ a fighting stance. For now I prefer the Gear 4th design and I'm also curious as to what in particular triggered the Awakening. We need clarification.

Mar 25, 2022 8:32 AM
Jul 2018
@FMmatron even though I believe that citizen of Ebisu town will be healed but I want them to stay like that forever.
Yeah, We have to wait for 1 week to see Luffy Gear 5th properly. I also prefer Gear 4th snake man design as of now but I could change it after seeing Gear 5th abilities.
And what do you think of Zoro's situation?

R.I.P. Gum Gum Fruit(1997-2022)!!
Mar 25, 2022 8:35 AM
Jul 2020
@Volkur damn bro thats the best theory I have read in a while and it is totally plausible but dang that would really suit the tone lets wait.
It will be interesting to see how Luffy uses Gear 5 in next chapter
Mar 25, 2022 8:44 AM

Nov 2016
VolKur said:
@FMmatron even though I believe that citizen of Ebisu town will be healed but I want them to stay like that forever.
Yeah, We have to wait for 1 week to see Luffy Gear 5th properly. I also prefer Gear 4th snake man design as of now but I could change it after seeing Gear 5th abilities.
And what do you think of Zoro's situation?

R.I.P. Gum Gum Fruit(1997-2022)!!

Indeed R.I.P.

It's been nice, lmao

But this reminded me of what Oda said at Jump Festa

His announcement definitely delivered and now we know what he meant with "I hope I can draw it well"

As for Zoro. My guy might complete the new reborn "Monster Trio"

The power ups this arc have been insane.

Ayu_01 said:
@Volkur damn bro thats the best theory I have read in a while and it is totally plausible but dang that would really suit the tone lets wait.
It will be interesting to see how Luffy uses Gear 5 in next chapter

Inb4 flashback right when the fight is about to get ultra lit. I wouldn't be mad xD

Mar 25, 2022 8:46 AM

Oct 2018
Luffy version over cheat xd excited to see the next chapter
Mar 25, 2022 8:50 AM
Jul 2021
HOOOOOLLLYY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTT

Thats all I have to say
Mar 25, 2022 9:21 AM

Jul 2012
@VolKur
Badass theory, I think we are getting really productive with the speculation because of how big this chapter was lol

@FMmatron
Btw, had we ever have an explicit confirmation on how Red Hawk worked, even a joke one by Oda?

I've been thinking about how it produced flames underwater with no oxygen or friction to be effectively had, and also had Ace imagery and namesake kanji. Everybody usually just treated it as Rule of Cool since forever and as a symbolic blaze. All of a sudden it makes a lot more sense considering Marco's legendary Zoan special flames, and Luffy's Fruit Sun God status. It's also the one attack Kaido HAS to evade.
Mar 25, 2022 9:23 AM

Dec 2020
This is first time I'll discuss with you guys and holy bananas, this chapter reminded me now why I fell in love with One Piece to begin with.

Silliness, cartoony style and the unique art of One Piece!

Though, I first felt a bit let down because I always loved simple concept of Luffy's df not being special and it was randomly picked up by Luffy but after realizing symbolic themes and heavy foreshadowings of this particular character... it just fits... so. god. damn. well!

This... is One Piece at its peak!

Long live Eiichiro Oda and his magnum opus!
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1113 Discussion

FMmatron - Apr 23

29 by MegamiRem »»
33 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 799 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Georesa - Sep 2, 2015

228 by KenjaTimer »»
Yesterday, 6:46 AM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 798 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2015

138 by KenjaTimer »»
Yesterday, 6:44 AM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1112 Discussion

AhriTheS3xyFox - Apr 16

32 by Biisoo »»
Apr 24, 8:44 AM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Veronin - Nov 1, 2009

73 by crumb_fr »»
Apr 22, 3:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.